Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories are looking to Copeland for endorsement of Mrs. May

Comments

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Topically, here's a link to a review by US blogger Alexander Scott of Hannah Arendt's Eichmann in Jerusalem (book published 1963, review published yesterday). 3 stand out points:

1. During the 30s the Nazis were genuinely willing to let Jews emigrate to wherever they wished. The rest of the world ensured this was a non-starter by refusing to take them in.

2. Extraordinary variations in the way occupied countries dealt with the final solution. Bulgaria, Denmark and Italy (!) said to themselves Feck this, we don't do genocide and just dragged their heels when the SS asked for info on who was Jewish, where they lived etc. so that no Danish Jews, only 48 Bulgarian Jews and an unspecified but small number of Italian Jews died in the holocaust. Rumania on the other hand took to pogroms so enthusiastically that the SS had to ask them to tone it down a bit. Difficult not to make quasi-racial judgments about these nations in light of this info.

3. Very good anti-Trump visual gag about 2/3 of the way down.

The Croatian Ustashi and Hungarian Arrow Cross were also enthusiastic participants in the Final Solution.
    "Difficult not to make quasi-racial judgments about these nations in light of this info."

Except that would be wrong. Pretty well all societies contain elements who are capable of such actions.
    Read Timothy Snyder's 'Black Earth', which is the best and most cold eyed analysis of the holocaust I've seen. His conclusion, which he supports with pretty compelling evidence, is that the single most significant factor in cooperation with the nazi holocaust - irrespective of political system, or even the extent of anti semitism in a given society - was whether the institutions of the state had been destroyed.
    In regions where the state had been dismantled first by the soviets and then by the nazis, the holocaust was the most complete. The statistics are quite compelling.
    It's a very good if dispiriting read.
    I take the point about dismantling of the state, but I think there also has to be an historically ingrained anti semitism as in e.g. France. In Vichy where the French state was allowed to continue, the enthusiasm for rounding up Jews was uncontained.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    HYUFD said:

Mr. Submarine, ah, I'd forgotten about free books due to the copyright going. That is a nice aspect of e-readers.

Mr. HYUFD, reminds me a bit of a piece I saw (vox pops) a few days ago from Leeds. The reporter ended by saying the city had voted to Remain. Technically true, but it was something like a 50.2% Remain vote, so also a bit misleading. It was just about the most evenly split of voting areas (a surprise given it was also the third largest).

Indeed, even the biggest city in Yorkshire very nearly went Leave
    And I suspect with a result that close, the large number of students swung the vote for Remain. So the full-time residents of the city probably voted no. I have no solid information though.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    matt said:

Religion does so much harm.

A transgender woman has been denied direct contact with her five children on the basis they would be shunned by their ultra-Orthodox Jewish community if she were allowed to meet them.

The woman will be allowed only to send letters to her children, after a judge concluded there was a real chance of “the children and their mother being marginalised or excluded by the ultra-Orthodox community” if face-to-face contact were permitted.

Mr Justice Peter Jackson stated that he had reached the conclusion with “real regret, knowing the pain that it must cause”. The transgender woman – identified only as J – had brought the case seeking to have contact with the children.

As a result of the ruling, her contact with each child will be limited to letters four times a year, with the suggestion that these could be sent to mark three Jewish religious holidays – Pesach, Sukkot and Hanukkah – and the children’s birthdays.

The judge noted his concerns over the clash between the ultra-Orthodox faith and transgender rights, saying: “It is painful to find these vulnerable groups in conflict.”

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/jan/30/transgender-woman-denied-direct-access-to-ultra-orthodox-jewish-children

Religious exteremes are rarely pleasant (Jewish,Muslim, Plymouth Bretheren, whatever) but the pandering from the judge is very distressing. I'd be surprised if this is the end of it.
    It is not pandering. In ultraorthodox communities the children will never have contact outside of their community. They will generally belong to famiilies of ten to fourteen children who all go to the same school the same Yeshiva they don't go to university and may very well live their entire lives without ever having any serious contact with a gentile.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731
    SeanT said:

Roger said:

OT. Interesting Newsnight last night with Guy Verhofstadt. An EU negotiator ex PM of Belgium who famously humiliated Farage over his expenses in the EU parliament. Intriguingly he talked about an idea he was working on for the 48% who wanted to keep their ties with Europe. He wouldn't spell out details other than to say many British wanted to remain in the EU and he was working on an idea. Start watching at 25 mins

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08d65k0/newsnight-30012017

If the EU is determined to let me have my cake and eat it, i.e. I get to Brexit the EU, but I still get the personal benefits of Free Movement, then Yes Please, I'll take it. Ta v much.

For this reason, I really rather doubt the EU will offer us anything like this.
    I got the strong impression that any plan Verhofstadt comes up with will be designed to sabotage Brexit, as far as is possible.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Scott_P said:
    That's part of it, but it's also because she's a badass.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    Roger said:

matt said:

A transgender woman has been denied direct contact with her five children on the basis they would be shunned by their ultra-Orthodox Jewish community if she were allowed to meet them.

The woman will be allowed only to send letters to her children, after a judge concluded there was a real chance of “the children and their mother being marginalised or excluded by the ultra-Orthodox community” if face-to-face contact were permitted.

Mr Justice Peter Jackson stated that he had reached the conclusion with “real regret, knowing the pain that it must cause”. The transgender woman – identified only as J – had brought the case seeking to have contact with the children.

As a result of the ruling, her contact with each child will be limited to letters four times a year, with the suggestion that these could be sent to mark three Jewish religious holidays – Pesach, Sukkot and Hanukkah – and the children’s birthdays.

The judge noted his concerns over the clash between the ultra-Orthodox faith and transgender rights, saying: “It is painful to find these vulnerable groups in conflict.”

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/jan/30/transgender-woman-denied-direct-access-to-ultra-orthodox-jewish-children

Religious exteremes are rarely pleasant (Jewish,Muslim, Plymouth Bretheren, whatever) but the pandering from the judge is very distressing. I'd be surprised if this is the end of it.
    It is not pandering. In ultraorthodox communities the children will never have contact outside of their community. They will generally belong to famiilies of ten to fourteen children who all go to the same school the same Yeshiva they don't go to university and may very well live their entire lives without ever having any serious contact with a gentile.
    It IS pandering.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Also, just seen the Attorney General news. On the face of it, looks quite disturbing.

I agree. If the AG believed the EO was unconstitutional she should have argued her case internally.

To instruct her lawyers not to file a defence in court is to attempt to frustrate the President's authority

To do so when just a caretaker (48 hours left?) is nakedly political.

Trump was within his rights to fire her

Is she a traitor?

If the AG was not given sight of an EO before it is issued how could she have argued the case against it internally? Once it was out there, decisions had to be made about enforcing it. She made a decision the President didn't like. He fired her. Fine. Then he labelled her a traitor. Not fine.

She argues for change after the event. But I think we are splitting hairs. Firing her was fine, abusing her was not.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Topically, here's a link to a review by US blogger Alexander Scott of Hannah Arendt's Eichmann in Jerusalem (book published 1963, review published yesterday). 3 stand out points:

1. During the 30s the Nazis were genuinely willing to let Jews emigrate to wherever they wished. The rest of the world ensured this was a non-starter by refusing to take them in.

2. Extraordinary variations in the way occupied countries dealt with the final solution. Bulgaria, Denmark and Italy (!) said to themselves Feck this, we don't do genocide and just dragged their heels when the SS asked for info on who was Jewish, where they lived etc. so that no Danish Jews, only 48 Bulgarian Jews and an unspecified but small number of Italian Jews died in the holocaust. Rumania on the other hand took to pogroms so enthusiastically that the SS had to ask them to tone it down a bit. Difficult not to make quasi-racial judgments about these nations in light of this info.

3. Very good anti-Trump visual gag about 2/3 of the way down.

The Croatian Ustashi and Hungarian Arrow Cross were also enthusiastic participants in the Final Solution.
    "Difficult not to make quasi-racial judgments about these nations in light of this info."

Except that would be wrong. Pretty well all societies contain elements who are capable of such actions.
    Read Timothy Snyder's 'Black Earth', which is the best and most cold eyed analysis of the holocaust I've seen. His conclusion, which he supports with pretty compelling evidence, is that the single most significant factor in cooperation with the nazi holocaust - irrespective of political system, or even the extent of anti semitism in a given society - was whether the institutions of the state had been destroyed.
    In regions where the state had been dismantled first by the soviets and then by the nazis, the holocaust was the most complete. The statistics are quite compelling.
    It's a very good if dispiriting read.
    I take the point about dismantling of the state, but I think there also has to be an historically ingrained anti semitism as in e.g. France. In Vichy where the French state was allowed to continue, the enthusiasm for rounding up Jews was uncontained.
    But look at the figures; the numbers who escaped were considerable.

Enthusiastic antisemetism, constrained by laws, is a terrible thing; where it was unconstrained, it resulted in the complete annihilation of the Jewish population.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Interesting.

"The City's top lobby group has performed a dramatic u-turn on Brexit, scrapping its previous campaign to remain in the EU and instead hailing the vote to leave as “unprecedented opportunity” for the UK to develop a powerful new set of trade and investment policies."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/01/31/city-lobby-group-comes-fighting-global-brexit-dramatic-u-turn/

As with all dramatic U-turns made by PR companies it invariably depends on who's employing them
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

Roger said:

OT. Interesting Newsnight last night with Guy Verhofstadt. An EU negotiator ex PM of Belgium who famously humiliated Farage over his expenses in the EU parliament. Intriguingly he talked about an idea he was working on for the 48% who wanted to keep their ties with Europe. He wouldn't spell out details other than to say many British wanted to remain in the EU and he was working on an idea. Start watching at 25 mins

If the EU is determined to let me have my cake and eat it, i.e. I get to Brexit the EU, but I still get the personal benefits of Free Movement, then Yes Please, I'll take it. Ta v much.

For this reason, I really rather doubt the EU will offer us anything like this.
    I got the strong impression that any plan Verhofstadt comes up with will be designed to sabotage Brexit, as far as is possible.
    For sure. But this particular plan is nuts and will go nowhere
    But the sheer buggeration involved - at the behest of the EU's chief negotiator - is likely to throw a lot of sand into the machinery of negotiation.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    SeanT said:

Interesting.

"The City's top lobby group has performed a dramatic u-turn on Brexit, scrapping its previous campaign to remain in the EU and instead hailing the vote to leave as “unprecedented opportunity” for the UK to develop a powerful new set of trade and investment policies."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/01/31/city-lobby-group-comes-fighting-global-brexit-dramatic-u-turn/

"The group, which represents banks, finance firms and the professional services industry, now believes that Britain’s departure from the EU represents “a once-in-a-generation opportunity” for a strategic re-think of commercial relationships with the rest of the globe."

I’m shocked that such an august body should volte-face in light of the inevitable, but then, Brexit was always a double sided coin where both outcomes were possible, but ignored by some. - Better late than never!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Roger said:

SeanT said:

Interesting.

As with all dramatic U-turns made by PR companies it invariably depends on who's employing them
    Well in this case, the employer is the City of London. Which until now has been lamenting and bemoaning the horrible carnage that will come with Brexit.

So it is interesting that they beginning to see an upside, as well.
    'a virtue of necessity'
  • Options

Mr. P, disagree. If someone is relatively popular, or their policy is, then pointing and shrieking how unclean they are will not persuade those who are lukewarm supporters to change their mind because the implication is guilt by association. Not "You're wrong on policy because of reasons X and Y" but "You're morally wrong to support this Wicked Creature."

There's also a problem with the president being head of state. I gather many Americans try to rally round and support the president regardless of whether they voted for him, and may see it as a duty to do so. Opposing specific policies is better, and easier, than opposing the President.

Well, perhaps. I'm not American, of course. And I prefer logos to pathos.

With some presidents, Americans just get tired of seeing their face, particularly when it comes with economic bad times and - in distant second place - scandals. It happened with Carter. It happened with the first Bush. It came close with Obama but he pulled out of the nose dive.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

OOH!
    The Times of London ‏@thetimes 2m2 minutes ago

Theresa May will trigger Brexit on March 9 http://thetim.es/2kN0Umo

She's done Corbyn a favour by making it after the by-elections there.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144

Hannan is Dr Frankenstein* horified his monster is no longer obeying orders. He's more elitist than I am. I'm really elitst but I know I don't and never will run the world. Hannan and his ilk thought they could fire up a protectionist, poorly formally educated and xenophobic mob to win EEA membership. Guess what ? The Monster they created has other ideas.

When this is all over it's the EEA Brexiters alongside the Lexiters who should be rounded up and shot.

* As an aide after a life time of using it as a turn of phrase I actually read Frankenstein last year. It's an astonishly modern work. I was really taken aback by how good it is.
    Hannan is also writing the story he wants to be true. Yes, there are a lot of people expressing fear and hatred, as you might imagine, but these protests are not just "the usual leftists". The anti-Trump petition, for example, is worded to have broad appeal and avoids the usual language of activists - indeed some of my leftist friends were uncomfortable signing it for that reason.

Of course, it is also right to say that there is considerable support for these kinds of policies. Look at the alacrity with which the EO was executed by at least some of the border authorities, police etc. An easy finger of blame will always be popular, sadly.
  • Options
    Roger said:

matt said:

The issue for me is how do you guarantee that the letters are received by the children?

I suspect they will be "lost in the post" if the fact that the children have previously been told that their (now transgender) father* was either in an asylum or dead are anything to go by

* Not sure what the polite way of describing their relationship is?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    GIN1138 said:

Roger said:

I saw it. Thought it sounded a bit "pie in the sky" to be honest but we shall see.
    Verhofstadt is an outrider in EU terms, because EU governments are reluctant to give extra status to the Parliament. He's not irrelevant, because the Parliament has to approve any deal, but he's best seen in similar terms to the Hard Brexit wing of the Tories, who constrain May's ability (should she wish, who knows?) to reach a compromise. EU governments can't afford to settle too easily even if they wanted to because of that.

The other subtle constraint is the pull towards hanging together - the big EU countries are very reluctant to have individual EU states picked up by Britain as potential allies, and will tend to resist any solution that, say, Belgium comes up with. Since the deal will need unanimous approval, there i actually no way round persuading Germany and France in particular, which is why serious negotiations won't really happen before they've both had elections. Note that Presidential elections in France are usually followed by Parliamentary ones to confirm the new President's authority.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Mr. T, wasn't the rumour that the EU wanted to allow UK citizens to opt-in *but* that would entail those citizens being subject to EU law over UK law?

Mr. Submarine, the evil examples you cite have been and gone. They're not fair comparisons.

Mr. Pong, indeed. The judgement indicates the judge feels the children's religious group is more important than their mother [or father, as you like, when terms like 'transgender woman' are used I can never recall if that's transitioned to, or from].

If that is the plan then it is Grade One, Hardcore Bonkers. How on earth do you apply EU law to certain individuals in another foreign non-EU country???
    Trying to think of analogies:

1) Some US Status Of Forces Agreements prevent soldiers from being prosecuted by local courts, and instead apply some kind of military law, even though the victim isn't in the military.
    2) You can effectively opt into certain kinds of arbitration a matter of civil contract; There are corporate contracts like that, and also religious versions.

What's striking about all of these is that the people who aren't opting into them really, really hate them. SOFAs are a constant cause of upset by countries hosting US military (Iraq wouldn't agree to one with the US) and Sharia taking over in [developed country with normal non-religious laws] via civil arbitration really animates Islam-unfriendly people in the West.

I think Leave-minded British people would like this kind of arrangement even less than just being in the EU. (Maybe that's the point...)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

OOH!

Nine months after the act. Womanly.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

But look at the figures; the numbers who escaped were considerable.

Enthusiastic antisemetism, constrained by laws, is a terrible thing; where it was unconstrained, it resulted in the complete annihilation of the Jewish population.

Well, France may be exceptionelle but I suspect those that escaped depended more on the acts of individuals, organised resistance or incompetence rather than the organs of the state. Anti semitism was the law in Vichy.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Interesting.

"The group, which represents banks, finance firms and the professional services industry, now believes that Britain’s departure from the EU represents “a once-in-a-generation opportunity” for a strategic re-think of commercial relationships with the rest of the globe."

I’m shocked that such an august body should volte-face in light of the inevitable, but then, Brexit was always a double sided coin where both outcomes were possible, but ignored by some. - Better late than never!
    The point is 'in the light of the inevitable'. They might still not like it, but making the best of it is preferable to an impotent protest when it comes to the bottom line.
  • Options

SeanT said:

OOH!

Nine months after the act. Womanly.
    Slightly premature.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Starbucks has been attracting flak for saying they'll employ 10000 refugees.

Understandably, many think they ought to take on USA citizens instead.

Ben Page
    Most think employers should hire natives not immigrants - all over the world https://t.co/ERxQYP0rGQ #populism #populismo https://t.co/HNFto18Mc3
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    Little Britain

Local jobs for local workers (agree strongly/somewhat):

France: 50
    Spain: 49
    Italy: 48
    Poland: 42
    Germany: 32
    Britain: 30

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Polls/ipsos-global-advisor-power-to-the-people-charts.pdf
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    SeanT said:

So we now know the date at which we will, very likely, leave the EU entirely.

March 9th 2019.

Will this be the national day of jubilation, the official Brexit Bank Holiday, or will it be June 23rd, the date of the referendum? I prefer the latter, because it is summer.

What do pb-ers think? What should be our July 4th, our Bastille Day? June 23rd looks good to me

March is too close to Easter, so June is preferable.

We really could do with one in October/November, though. Most inconsiderate of Dave to hold the referendum in June and Theresa to trigger Brexit in March. What were they both thinking?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    SeanT said:

March 9th 2019.

Will this be the national day of jubilation, the official Brexit Bank Holiday, or will it be June 23rd, the date of the referendum? I prefer the latter, because it is summer.

What do pb-ers think? What should be our July 4th, our Bastille Day? June 23rd looks good to me

Day of mourning, I would have thought!
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    SeanT said:

March 9th 2019.

23rd. The rest is process story.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Roger said:

matt said:

I'm aware of his UltraOrthodox operate and my contempt for them (as it is for religions which cover women in sacks as if they're manure) is unlimited.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Just noticed a wrecking amendment has been tabled against triggering article 50
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    edited January 2017
    Looking at the breakdown of the latest YouGov tables, and feeding those into the 2015 Copeland result, then on an equivalent turnout of 63.8%, you would get a Tory win in the by-election by some 2,100. Scaling it back for a reduced turnout of say 40% would still give a Tory win by a little over 1,300 votes.

Just for fun.....
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

March 9th 2019.

We really could do with one in October/November, though. Most inconsiderate of Dave to hold the referendum in June and Theresa to trigger Brexit in March. What were they both thinking?
    I genuinely sincerely think we should do this. Make Brexit Day a national holiday. We need a unifying holiday that isn't religious or royal (Mayday never really took off). Brexit is perfect.

The Remoaners, until they get over it, can treat it like the Day of the Dead, and walk around in skeleton costumes, the rest of us can eat Helford rock oysters and drink lots of British fizz.
    Too political.

FWIW I think polling day should be a bank holiday and celebrated.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    SeanT said:

March 9th 2019.

Americans celebrate the declaration of their independence rather than the fact of it, and June is a much nicer time of year as you say. March the 9th will be worth marking as well, but less so.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

Little Britain

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Polls/ipsos-global-advisor-power-to-the-people-charts.pdf

So us and the Germans are pretty much agreed on this. Interesting.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

March 9th 2019.

I genuinely sincerely think we should do this. Make Brexit Day a national holiday. We need a unifying holiday that isn't religious or royal (Mayday never really took off). Brexit is perfect.

The Remoaners, until they get over it, can treat it like the Day of the Dead, and walk around in skeleton costumes, the rest of us can eat Helford rock oysters and drink lots of British fizz.
    Doesn't it strike you as deeply un-British though?
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    PlatoSaid said:

Ben Page
    Most think employers should hire natives not immigrants - all over the world https://t.co/ERxQYP0rGQ #populism #populismo https://t.co/HNFto18Mc3

Clever move from Starbucks imo, seen lots of my right on friends on Facebook who hate them for the tax issues praising them for this. Free PR and very effective PR at that.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

March 9th 2019.

May Day
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Mr. Smith, saw a map the other day which indicated the Anglo-German-Nordic world was low on corruptions and everywhere else had rather a lot of it.

There's a lot the Germans and British agree on. I suspect they may miss us when it comes to determining how the money goes. The relative strength of those who spend has just increased, at the expense of those who pay.
  • Options
    Little Britain - Turning Its Back on the World

Or not.....

Globalisation is a net opportunity:
    Britain: +34
    Poland: +31
    Spain: +29
    USA: +10
    Germany: +6
    France: -7
    Italy: -10

• Options
    SeanT said:

March 9th 2019.

June 23rd, celebrating the day the people of the UK took that brave, monumental decision. Although maybe it should be celebrated in the small hours of the 24th, when so many PBers made so much..... St. Spreadsheets Day
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ben Page

Clever move from Starbucks imo, seen lots of my right on friends on Facebook who hate them for the tax issues praising them for this. Free PR and very effective PR at that.
    Bad move. Starbucks will lose a chunk of their customer base.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

March 9th 2019.

We're building a NEW Britain. It needs NEW institutions. And NEW holidays.
    Not stuff that is the anthesis of Britain. A political, dear leader, style holiday? No way.
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ben Page

Fickle bunch of twats, those Social Medials....
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited January 2017
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

That awful, terrible, illegal, unconstitutional, quasi-Hitlerite, moustache-bristling, jackboot-polishing, massively unpopular Donald Trump Muslim Ban is... supported by 57% of US voters.

33% oppose.

It's popular

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/316914-poll-over-half-back-trumps-refugee-ban

Rasmussen :-)

This is the polling company that gives Trump an overall net approval rating while all the others have him at record lows. At the very least it comes with a substantial health warning.

Didn't like them apples? Try this. A different pollster.

"By a narrow 48 - 42 percent, American voters support "suspending immigration from terror prone regions, even if it means turning away refugees."

By a broader 53 - 41 percent, voters support requiring immigrants from Muslim countries to register with the federal government. "

More Americans support Trump's proposals than oppose them. Indeed it looks like the American people would like to go further than Trump, and have a registry for ALL Muslim immigrants.

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2416
    Polls hysteria. By a fair majority Americans (of the US variety) supported Clinton over Trump.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

March 9th 2019.

No we’re not. We’re trying to revive a world that has gone.

Although I feel that the country has to make the best of a bad job, and I really hope it doesn’t turn out too badly, like many Remainers I think we’re making a terrible mistake.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

SeanT said:

March 9th 2019.

June 23rd, celebrating the day the people of the UK took that brave, monumental decision. Although maybe it should be celebrated in the small hours of the 24th, when so many PBers made so much..... St. Spreadsheets Day
    Just some of the people....

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03156/grimsby1_3156581b.jpg
  • Options
    Lockheed Martin will now be regretting one hire.

https://order-order.com/2017/01/31/peter-ricketts-works-lockheed-martin/

Hell hath no fury like a President man scorned.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

March 9th 2019.

A NEW Ord...oops, sorry, rush of espresso induced Godwinism.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

March 9th 2019.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. I like the way we eschew this kind of thing. It is part of our national character.
  • Options
    What is the actual appeal of Starbucks overpriced coffee ?

To be honest it makes me glad I work in an office with free coffee :>
  • Options

Mr. Smith, saw a map the other day which indicated the Anglo-German-Nordic world was low on corruptions and everywhere else had rather a lot of it.

There's a lot the Germans and British agree on. I suspect they may miss us when it comes to determining how the money goes. The relative strength of those who spend has just increased, at the expense of those who pay.

I suspect they will want to get BREXIT sorted out quickly so they can turn their minds to more immediately pressing matters - where to find €10billion - BREXIT automatically exacerbates the contributors/recipients issue as the contributors get a 'rebate' on the British rebate - which of course goes away....
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

DanSmith said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ben Page

Maybe Amazon who have similar tax issues should hire a load too.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

That awful, terrible, illegal, unconstitutional, quasi-Hitlerite, moustache-bristling, jackboot-polishing, massively unpopular Donald Trump Muslim Ban is... supported by 57% of US voters.

33% oppose.

It's popular

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/316914-poll-over-half-back-trumps-refugee-ban

That was posted yesterday already.

And it's Ramussen, of all pollsters....
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

Little Britain

So us and the Germans are pretty much agreed on this. Interesting.

Up to a point, Lord Copper.

When it comes to the benefits of globalisation the British are markedly keener than the Germans (let alone the Italians or French....)
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Blue_rog said:

Is it by Tom Brake MP?

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

March 9th 2019.

A Final Britain... Don't go thinking you Scots can redraw the borders now.
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ben Page

A desperate move from a failing franchise. Now everyone, from left to right, has a reason to boycott this disgusting organization and its revolting beverages.
  • Options
    Roger said:

SeanT said:

March 9th 2019.

Just some of the people....

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03156/grimsby1_3156581b.jpg
    You're not allowed to take the piss out of Grimsby until you have stood amongst their fans, chanting "Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish".............
  • Options
    glw said:

DanSmith said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ben Page

I thought they did already...
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    timmo said:

Blue_rog said:

Is it by Tom Brake MP?

Twitter link

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/826335442534555648/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Actually, their packaged supermarket stuff and pods are ok, better than the £4 for beige hot milk over the counter stuff.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

March 9th 2019.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. I like the way we eschew this kind of thing. It is part of our national character.
    As Blair memorably found out 'No Slogans Please, We're British' - though I loved 'Dipso, Fatso, Asbo, Tesco'......
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    And a little bit of good news. After November unsecured personal borrowing numbers that were off the charts, December showed a slowdown to 5% annualised growth. That's still (probably) a little too fast. But unlike November's numbers which were really quite concerning, these suggest the gap between UK consumers incomes and expenditures is narrowing slightly.

Separately, foreign demand for gilts is a little subdued right now, which is pushing down Sterling marginally. Nothing dramatic, but something worth keeping an eye on, because foreign demand for our government debt is what allows us to run our massive current account deficit.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,642
    NewsTaker said:

DanSmith said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ben Page

Is it legal to discriminate in favour of refugees?
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

SeanT said:

March 9th 2019.

Hearing how much some people made, I'm almost (but not) sad I was at a count instead of at home with my laptop.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Interesting.

The big question is .... will TSE's employers react likewise and, although not City of London based, decide after all that their prospects are best served by remaining within the United Kingdom?
  • Options

DanSmith said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ben Page

A desperate move from a failing franchise. Now everyone, from left to right, has a reason to boycott this disgusting organization and its revolting beverages.
    I always find boycotts very difficult, mainly because I almost always barely consume any of the companys' stuff in the first place :p
  • Options
    MattW said:

NewsTaker said:

DanSmith said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ben Page

Is it legal to discriminate in favour of refugees?
    Some get away with it in other countreis.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    matt said:

Roger said:

matt said:

I'm aware of his UltraOrthodox operate and my contempt for them (as it is for religions which cover women in sacks as if they're manure) is unlimited.
    I wonder how a situation like this would be dealt with in Israel?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Mr. W, it's the right sort of discrimination ;)
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,758
    SeanT said:

Interesting.

Taking a quick glance on the TheCityUk website, it ties into a submission that body is making to the government. It looks like they are tailoring their Press Release to what they think Theresa May wants to hear. It is reported elsewhere that the City thinks it is unusually neglected by this government.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

March 9th 2019.

A Final Britain... Don't go thinking you Scots can redraw the borders now.
    Perhaps we should have a government division that goes round the country whipping up Brexit joy.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited January 2017

Pulpstar said:

Actually, their packaged supermarket stuff and pods are ok, better than the £4 for beige hot milk over the counter stuff.
    Your culinary mindscape is as nightmarish as your political. Poor EUdivvie.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

33% oppose.

It's popular

You missed this.

A different pollster.

"By a narrow 48 - 42 percent, American voters support "suspending immigration from terror prone regions, even if it means turning away refugees."

By a broader 53 - 41 percent, voters support requiring immigrants from Muslim countries to register with the federal government. "

More Americans support Trump's proposals than oppose them. Indeed it looks like the American people would like to go further than Trump, and have a registry for ALL Muslim immigrants.

We have much more in common with European sensibilities than US ones. I remember some years ago reading a poll in a BA magazine which asked whether you would mind a close member of your family marrying someone of a different race. The American's were around 60% the British under 20%
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Interesting.

While it's to be lauded, I would point out that "TheCityUK" is not "The City's top lobby group", it's one of about five or six lobbying/industry groups, and far from the largest or most influential. "A major City lobby group" would probably be more accurate.
  • Options

SeanT said:

March 9th 2019.

We have a ready-made one in November with the celebration of the attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament - or the fact it was foiled. It's a nicely ambiguous holiday.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

March 9th 2019.

As Blair memorably found out 'No Slogans Please, We're British' - though I loved 'Dipso, Fatso, Asbo, Tesco'......
    ....with Bingo, Lingo and Weirdo making up the rest of the seven dwarves?
  • Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382
    I expect Labour will get enough of their core support out to win the by-elections on low turn out's. That will leave Corbyn time to sort a stategic exit some time before the next election, probably late next year. Who will take on the baton and will suit Lenny, possibly Thornberry?

As for Trump it will be interesting to see how he goes. Business knowledge and experience reaching the very top in politics will frighten the career politicians, which so dominate over here but he will be judged on whether he can set in motion economic conditions that improve the lives of most Americans.

In less than 4 years time that judgement can be made.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Blue_rog said:

timmo said:

Blue_rog said:

Is it by Tom Brake MP?

Twitter link

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/826335442534555648/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
    Are they all in Remain constituencies? It would take a brave MP to do that, from a Leaver area.
    The voters won't hear about the vote unless the government lose it, and if the government lose it the story will be about their backbench rebellion.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    FF43 said:

SeanT said:

March 9th 2019.

We have a ready-made one in November with the celebration of the attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament - or the fact it was foiled. It's a nicely ambiguous holiday.
    True, though I can't see Parliament being keen on giving lots of people who watched "V for Vendetta" a day off on November 5th.

England did have a public holiday to commemorate the accession of Elizabeth 1 in November. Maybe we could revive that.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

33% oppose.

It's popular

You missed this.

A different pollster.

Does that poll ask whether the American public supports green card holders being barred from entering? Or dual nationals from countries such as us? After all that's what Trump's ban includes. There were still conflicting messages as to yesterday as to whether dual nationals will be let in or not. Some tweets posted on PB said yes; others said no.

As for the Muslim registry as this link shows, there are mixed polling results for on that issue, as well as refugees: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/will-trumps-refugee-ban-have-public-support/
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,015

Pulpstar said:

The little "espresso" cans (actually a fairly strong caffè con latte) are a very good pre-running-race sugar and caffeine boost, and tastes better than you get from many coffee carts. I think the best high street chain is Nero, proper Italian strength coffee, though I rarely buy high street coffee as I generally prefer filter coffee, and not made with an espresso blend
  • Options
    macisback said:

I expect Labour will get enough of their core support out to win the by-elections on low turn out's. That will leave Corbyn time to sort a stategic exit some time before the next election, probably late next year. Who will take on the baton and will suit Lenny, possibly Thornberry?

As for Trump it will be interesting to see how he goes. Business knowledge and experience reaching the very top in politics will frighten the career politicians, which so dominate over here but he will be judged on whether he can set in motion economic conditions that improve the lives of most Americans.

Thornberry is one to keep onside, she's improved her speech and whatnot as well as dropping a shedload of weight. She's not great, but the bar in the Labour party is a low one indeed. I've backed her as high as 150-1 on Betfair.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    SeanT said:

Look, no offence, but by your own admission you're really old and soon you will be dead, and everyone will forget you ever existed immediately. You're so unimportant and forgettable people will probably forget to bury you and just step over your crumpled body until you turn into a small hump of compost which then gets washed away in a slight shower.

So I'm not sure your opinion weighs too heavily on this issue.

Are you sure you should be trolling the age group that delivered the Brexit majority?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877

SeanT said:

March 9th 2019.

October 14th 2019 - to celebrate the end of the 953 years we were tied to Europe following the sad defeat of the last true English King, Harold Godwinson.

• Options
    macisback said:

I expect Donald Trump to succeed on his own terms if he lasts the course. "Mafia rules" work for the godfathers, if not for anyone else.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,642

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

33% oppose.

It's popular

You missed this.

A different pollster.

Does that poll ask whether the American public supports green card holders being barred from entering? Or dual nationals from countries such as us? After all that's what Trump's ban includes. There were still conflicting messages as to yesterday as to whether dual nationals will be let in or not. Some tweets posted on PB said yes; others said no.

As for the Muslim registry as this link shows, there are mixed polling results for on that issue, as well as refugees: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/will-trumps-refugee-ban-have-public-support/
    I see that those nice centrist Austrian parties that were celebrated for defeating the Fascists have .. er .. banned the burqa in public places.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/30/austria-agrees-full-face-veil-ban-public-places/
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    8 May : David Attenborough Day.
    18 June: McCartney Day
    5 July : NHS Day
    18 October: BBC day
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    Jonathan said:

8 May : David Attenborough Day.
    18 June: McCartney Day
    5 July : NHS Day
    18 October: BBC day

Can you come up with something for the third Monday in September?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Look, no offence, but by your own admission you're really old and soon you will be dead, and everyone will forget you ever existed immediately. You're so unimportant and forgettable people will probably forget to bury you and just step over your crumpled body until you turn into a small hump of compost which then gets washed away in a slight shower.

Are you sure you should be trolling the age group that delivered the Brexit majority?
    I can't help it. Brexit doesn't belong to these doddery old Remainers who could die at any time, snapped in half like a twig, snuffed out like a tallow candle by the cruel fingers of time, shat on by the seagull of doom, as they walk the sands of senescence.

Brexit belongs to young people like ME, ME ME ME ME ME ME, thrusting young thriller writers with six different girlfriends under 28, and a brilliant title for their new book, and an income that makes George Soros look like Bob Cratchit.

Tomorrow Belongs To Me.
    Since you are doing so well, when are you going to start giving money away?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I can't help it. Brexit doesn't belong to these doddery old Remainers who could die at any time, snapped in half like a twig, snuffed out like a tallow candle by the cruel fingers of time, shat on by the seagull of doom, as they walk the sands of senescence.

Brexit belongs to young people like ME, ME ME ME ME ME ME, thrusting young thriller writers with six different girlfriends under 28, and a brilliant title for their new book, and an income that makes George Soros look like Bob Cratchit.

Tomorrow Belongs To Me.
    I thought your girlfriends voted Remain. Tomorrow - brilliant or crap - surely belongs to them?
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    glw said:

DanSmith said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ben Page

Amazon have no tax issues, they don't make a profit in any country.
  • Options
    NewsTaker said:

DanSmith said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ben Page

They are campaigning well for Trump

Can the coffee chain not see that this is exactly the sort of thing which attracts America’s white poor to Donald Trump: the suspicion that they are being overlooked in favour of cheap labour from abroad? In Starbucks’ case it isn’t just a suspicion – it has effectively confirmed that it wants to discriminate against American workers. If you are deliberately favouring refugees it inevitably means that you are going to disfavour other job applicants. Starbucks might think it can earn some virtue points by adopting such a recruitment policy, but it isn’t going to go down well in the US rustbelt if Somalians are going to be hired ahead of local workers who are desperate for any employment they can get.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/01/trumps-2020-campaign-kicked-off-starbucks-seem-running/
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

March 9th 2019.

No we’re not. We’re trying to revive a world that has gone.

Although I feel that the country has to make the best of a bad job, and I really hope it doesn’t turn out too badly, like many Remainers I think we’re making a terrible mistake.

Turning on the charm today eh Mr T ? :grin:
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    The US dictator's office has said that sacked Attorney General Sally Yates

"has betrayed the Department of Justice by refusing to enforce a legal order designed to protect the citizens of the United States."

"Betrayed"
  • Options

glw said:

DanSmith said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ben Page

You don't just pay tax on profits, although Amazon have started to make profits over the past couple of years.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Dr Palmer,

"Are you sure you should be trolling the age group that delivered the Brexit majority?"

Why not? We don't begrudge the young whippersnappers their fun. We're used to it, and there's one guarantee ... we won't take offence.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    SeanT said:

Charles said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Tomorrow Belongs To Me.
    Since you are doing so well, when are you going to start giving money away?
    I'm sponsoring some of my girlfriends (about a third of them) to go and do charity work in poor places, for a few months. Literally.

It means I get a respite, and I can write it off against tax.

What more do you want?? Blood????
    Never been convinced that sponsored holidays (aka gap year students building schools in nice parts of impoverished countries) really counts, but it's a start I suppose

[I was doing some digging through the archives the other day, and came across a letter which strongly suggests that we had an employee transported to Australia for getting married without permission...]
  • Options
    FF43 said:

glw said:

DanSmith said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ben Page

You don't just pay tax on profits, although Amazon have started to make profits over the past couple of years.
    Now that nice Mr Trump has just giving them a 100% capital write off in one year, dont expect them to make any sort of profit for another 4-8 years when they have opportunity for completely tax free expansion.
  • Options

glw said:

DanSmith said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ben Page

That's not true! They make profits in Jersey, Ireland, and Luxembourg. It's just a coincidence that these places all happen to have incredibly low levels of corporation tax.
This discussion has been closed.