Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After last night Ukip has now made more net gains in local

124»

Comments

• Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530

Thank goodness we've moved on from "families" and dropped the tree

Yes, you won't need any of that PR detox stuff now. Unless Cammie pulls back from the brink after a hammering in May you'd best get used to being the nasty party again. When you add incompetence to make that heady vintage tory brew you are not going to like where that takes you. As Major, IDS, Hague and Howard will all testify.

Though you will at least make the Kippers very happy. So there's that. ;)

• Options
    I live in that ward and you could not tell the difference between the ukip an tory candidates, they spent a fortnight trying to look like each other
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Class calculator: A US view of the class system
    by Michael Goldfarb

"Foreigners can find Britain's class system baffling and fascinating. With its traditional divisions declared obsolete by sociologists, an American offers his take on the new seven-tier model.

The BBC's Great British Class survey has pretty much killed productivity at my end of Facebook. Everyone in my network is taking it and laughing out loud at the results (read to the bottom and I'll tell you what class I'm in).

But beyond starting a light-hearted national conversation on what class in Britain is today, BBC Lab UK's attempt to redefine class boundaries in UK society is a worthy idea.

I spend a lot of time thinking about it - particularly since the onset of the recession - when my "class-ification" took a severe knock. Pretty clearly, it is well past time for a redefinition of terms.

When I spent a junior year abroad at Oxford University in the 1970s, social class was defined by your origin, despite the faux egalitarianism of the time."

Read the rest for some amusement:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22025328
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    SeanT said:

@Southam

"When the welfare state has been dismantled, what happens then?

What we do not know is what happens when the very wealthy continue to prosper, but nobody else does. Then the widening income gap becomes a real issue - especially when wealth has never been more visible. What is the right's answer to that? It seems to me that at some stage the better off are going to realise that a level of wealth redistribution is actually in their interests - just as they realised it before."

Nope, we'll just become much more like America.

Yes. Instead of using wealth redistribution to unite and rule the ruling class are using ethno-sectarian balkanization to divide and rule.

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    taffys said:

Labour are missing the point here. I get the feeling the public are very black and white on welfare.

They despise crooks and scroungers as much as they support money for the deserving. Partly because they see the former as taking money from the latter.

+1

This discussion has been closed.