Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Douglas Carswell is my 100/1 tip for next Speaker of the House

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Roger said:

John_M said:

I have to say that the comments by the lefties on here over the last few days, and particularly this morning, have enlightened me as to why they never elect women leaders; it's not just their ideas on government that are stuck in the 70s.

You pompous arse!!
    so why dont you elect women ?
    Because they think of them as 'bitches in heat' who can 'give blow jobs'?
    progressive
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Marr - is it really a good idea for the LDs to keep parading Cleggy on the EU ?

Actually, yes ! Everybody always knew where he stood on this.

• Options
    rkrkrk said:

Roger said:

Toby Helm, in The Grauniad:

Theresa May has sealed a major diplomatic coup by becoming the first European leader to secure a meeting with President Donald Trump at the White House....

...May, who unlike Trump is known for measuring her every word, has said she will hold very “frank” discussions with the president and has been openly critical of some of his more outspoken remarks, notably about women.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/21/theresa-may-to-travel-to-us-for-donald-trump-visit-next-week-reports

That's a fair summary.

She has to be as good as her word on this. On this occasion, I expect she will be.
    That's fine if she was meeting a serious or proven politician who played by any known rules. She's meeting Coco the Clown or Chance the gardener and she'd be much better letting someone else with less to lose be the experiment.
    Right now Britain has to take the gamble. It is in a strategically dire position and can't sit back.
    My fear is that May/Tories are so desperate for a good news story once brexit gets going that we sign up to an awful deal with America...
    Get used to chlorine washed chicken.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900
    Toby Perkins MP ‏@tobyperkinsmp 45s45 seconds ago
    More
    I'm one of 40 + MPs who've written to May to say Hard Brexit strategy is unnecessarily damaging, she should rethink.

Oh dear
  • Options
    surbiton said:

He projects the image of a rich privileged bloke who robbed your kids of £54k at Uni and reminds people why they voted out.
  • Options

Roger said:

John_M said:

I have to say that the comments by the lefties on here over the last few days, and particularly this morning, have enlightened me as to why they never elect women leaders; it's not just their ideas on government that are stuck in the 70s.

You pompous arse!!
    Because they think of them as 'bitches in heat' who can 'give blow jobs'?
    Wasn't that the preserve of a certain ex-Tory MP born in Liverpool ?
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    rkrkrk said:

Roger said:

Toby Helm, in The Grauniad:

Theresa May has sealed a major diplomatic coup by becoming the first European leader to secure a meeting with President Donald Trump at the White House....

...May, who unlike Trump is known for measuring her every word, has said she will hold very “frank” discussions with the president and has been openly critical of some of his more outspoken remarks, notably about women.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/21/theresa-may-to-travel-to-us-for-donald-trump-visit-next-week-reports

That's a fair summary.

She has to be as good as her word on this. On this occasion, I expect she will be.
    That's fine if she was meeting a serious or proven politician who played by any known rules. She's meeting Coco the Clown or Chance the gardener and she'd be much better letting someone else with less to lose be the experiment.
    Right now Britain has to take the gamble. It is in a strategically dire position and can't sit back.
    My fear is that May/Tories are so desperate for a good news story once brexit gets going that we sign up to an awful deal with America...
    If so, the US/UK trade deal will give Tesco the right to sell GM potatoes and hormone-filled dairy produce ...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    After the meeting on Friday it will be interesting to compare any press statements.

If Trump says something like "We have agreed a trade deal where for every Jaguar sold in the US, the UK will import a Chevy in return", what would the response be?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Isn't there something rather infra dig about Prime Minister May's obvious excitement at being the first leader to be summoned to an audience with Groper Trump?

Particularly as it's outcome has got 'Neville Chamberlain' written all over it

The spectacle of the grey vicars daughter kissing Trumps orange arse is going to be popcorn time again.
    Merkel visiting too, is she?
    I think she has more sense, and less desperation.
    If this was reversed it would be evidence that Trump was sidelining Britain in favour of the EU, I'm sure.
    Be serious! She appears to the world like a bitch on heat.

It's really not a cool look for a British Prime Minister. It reminds me of Blair at his most obsequious
    you voted for Blair
    So did I and I agree with Roger. Blair’s big, big, mistake was to believe that he HAD to go along with anything an American President said. Wilson, and Robin Cook, had a lot better grasp of reality there.
    Which is perhaps why its best to see what happens in the meeting first
    NO! Much better decide beforehand!

Merkel in first = 'May humiliated, Britain sidelined'
    May in first = 'May is bitch in heat, Merkel wise to wait'

I cant help the left need to fill theiir current grief with activity - demos, boycotts etc. - when really what they should be doing is ask why the man got elected in the first place.
    Simple! As with Brexit, the people are wrong

If Twitter is any guide, the Trump Presidency is over.....just ask Prime Ministers Miliband and Salmond.....
    No. Unlike Brexit the people were NOT wrong! THe people voted by 3m for the other person. The system is wrong!
    Just like the UK in 1951.
    With a silly system like PR, it can always happen.
    Pardon?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900

Roger said:

John_M said:

You pompous arse!!

Because Mrs Balls and Tory Liz have the wrong kind of policies.

Be very happy to vote for Angela Rayner
  • Options

surbiton said:

He projects the image of a rich privileged bloke who robbed your kids of £54k at Uni and reminds people why they voted out.
    Yes, that's true. But somehow I get the impression that you think the Tories had nothing to do with it. After all, it was in their manifesto.
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821

More
    I'm one of 40 + MPs who've written to May to say Hard Brexit strategy is unnecessarily damaging, she should rethink.

Oh dear

The UK will only leave the EU in name; in practice, it will remain closely entangled with it (see Peter Hitchens' recent blogs on the Mail on Sunday website). The referendum vote was only advisory and all the "great and good" of the UK establishment will ensure that the negotiations lead to continued entrapment within the EU's institutions.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Scott_P said:

After the meeting on Friday it will be interesting to compare any press statements.

If Trump says something like "We have agreed a trade deal where for every Jaguar sold in the US, the UK will import a Chevy in return", what would the response be?

we should import lots of Chevys

we buy Chevy for £10k
    they buy Jag for £40k
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920
    On topic - how does Carswell get on with fellow MPs?
    Have his ex Tory colleagues forgiven him for defecting?
    Also - just seems a bit weird that ukips only MP would become speaker.

That said 100-1 shots can have a few problems with them and still be value...
    And I can imagine that with Brexit actually achieved/in motion...Carswell might welcome this new post and a chance to speaker in a new, sovereign, reinvigorated parliament.

Definitely a better bet than Osborne or Salmond on the available odds...
  • Options

Roger said:

John_M said:

You pompous arse!!

Because Mrs Balls and Tory Liz have the wrong kind of policies.

Be very happy to vote for Angela Rayner
    nah, because women are just window dressing

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8086314.stm
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Yes, that's true. But somehow I get the impression that you think the Tories had nothing to do with it. After all, it was in their manifesto.
    The tories were bastards too, Cameron got a free education but decided everyone else should pay more, my views on David Willetts have been well aired on here over the years.
  • Options

we buy Chevy for £10k
    they buy Jag for £40k

Who is the "we" in that statement. We, the British public, don't want to buy Chevy's for £10k. That's why we don't do it now. They're crap.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    I hope John Bercow stays on. He's been an effective chair of the house, using humour and force as needed. He has a solid record on procedure (compare with Robin Newton in NI) and I've appreciated his efforts at modernising. The worst that can be said is that he likes the sound of his own voice and has a fruity wife.

The Commons is likely to be the centre ground for many shenanigans over Brexit till the next election and an effective Speaker is needed more than ever. No time for a novice as someone might say. He could agree to serve the full term and stand down at the next election without much rancour.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Scott_P said:

we buy Chevy for £10k
    they buy Jag for £40k

Who is the "we" in that statement. We, the British public, don't want to buy Chevy's for £10k. That's why we don't do it now. They're crap.
    The one thing Trump's cabinet is stuffed with is businessmen, I'd expect trade deals to be good for the USA.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Scott_P said:

we buy Chevy for £10k
    they buy Jag for £40k

scrap them or resell youre still £30k to the good - cant you do sums ?
  • Options
    daodao said:

More

Oh dear

The UK will only leave the EU in name; in practice, it will remain closely entangled with it (see Peter Hitchens' recent blogs on the Mail on Sunday website). The referendum vote was only advisory and all the "great and good" of the UK establishment will ensure that the negotiations lead to continued entrapment within the EU's institutions.
    But as discussed she seems to be under relentless pressure from the UKIP side to 'deliver', this includes her H of C 'headbangers', and under weak influence from the other direction, with Europhile voices like Ken Clarke semi-retired, Heseltine retired and probably more interested in reafforestation and Tim Farron leading a party of just 8 MPs (thanks to the vagaries of FPTP).

Peter Hitchens has been saying 'half in half out' since 2015 or earlier. Friends have been saying to me 'don't worry, the political class will never permit us to leave'. If so, irresistible force (Leave) does meet immoveable object (Remain by whatever form of words it takes) in the period 2017-19.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

we buy Chevy for £10k
    they buy Jag for £40k
    Be better 'If they still made '57 Chevrolets’

See Billie Jo Spears
  • Options
    You can march as far as you want, burn limos, chuck rocks through shop windows, wave your well thought out placards and scream on twitter until your lungs explode, but Trump is still President. He is barmier than I thought he would be, and the first day or so hasn't exactly filled me with hope, but the US system made him top dog, and we have to deal with him. May is right to go and see him. Every world leader will need to meet him.
    Oh, and you Labour fellas really don't do your party any favours with the way you talk about women who don't share your political beliefs. Stay classy, lads.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,796
    edited January 2017

Trump is very much the Emperor's new clothes. That is why he is so prickly over the size of the crowds. He knows the Truth and believes that he can overcome it with bombastic demagogary.

Trump is Macbeth. He's mad, but there's a lot of method to his madness. Undermining the media is policy, as it allows him to control his message. So he picks a fight about something silly like the number of people turning up to his inauguration.
  • Options

Oh dear.

Who gets the £40k for the Jag, and who pays the £10k?

I can clearly do sums better than the Brexiteers this morning...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Oh dear.

Who gets the £40k for the Jag, and who pays the £10k?

I can clearly do sums better than the Brexiteers this morning...
    Can't do irony either I see
  • Options

Can't do irony either I see

Oh dear. Again...

Making an arse of yourself is not ironic.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,788

Oh, and you Labour fellas really don't do your party any favours with the way you talk about women who don't share your political beliefs. Stay classy, lads.

Stay?

It's not an accident that the so called 'progressives' have yet to elect a female leader 40 years after the Tories.....

Otherwise agree 100%
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

I hope John Bercow stays on. He's been an effective chair of the house, using humour and force as needed. He has a solid record on procedure (compare with Robin Newton in NI) and I've appreciated his efforts at modernising. The worst that can be said is that he likes the sound of his own voice and has a fruity wife.

The Commons is likely to be the centre ground for many shenanigans over Brexit till the next election and an effective Speaker is needed more than ever. No time for a novice as someone might say. He could agree to serve the full term and stand down at the next election without much rancour.

The Mogg would be the most telegenic, especially for viewers from abroad who marvel at the Member for the 18th.C. Carswell might be better at constitutional matters and the rights of parliament when standing up against the executive.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

You can march as far as you want, burn limos, chuck rocks through shop windows, wave your well thought out placards and scream on twitter until your lungs explode, but Trump is still President. He is barmier than I thought he would be, and the first day or so hasn't exactly filled me with hope, but the US system made him top dog, and we have to deal with him. May is right to go and see him. Every world leader will need to meet him.

I'd a peek at Twitter in the small hours - and I ended crying with laughter at some of the ridiculous antics, wailing, unfortunate photos of protestors.

The interweb never forgets - and I'd die of embarrassment if I appeared in any of them.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727

Scott_P said:

we buy Chevy for £10k
    they buy Jag for £40k
    The US don't really make European cars, except BMWs maybe we should import them from the US rather than Germany?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    rkrkrk said:

And I can imagine that with Brexit actually achieved/in motion...Carswell might welcome this new post and a chance to speaker in a new, sovereign, reinvigorated parliament.

100/1 seems remarkably generous. Hard to imagine that the pool of serious candidates that would garner enough support from fellow MPs is much bigger than ten or a dozen. 100/1 makes Carswell a rank outsider in that pool.

Also, on Buggins's Turn Theory, it really need sto be a non-Tory next. Tory MPs could happily vote for Carswell as "a UKIP guy", knowing that when push comes to shove, Carswell is more likely to meet their ideal for Speaker than a Labour or SNP bod.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Clegg is defiant. But he was instrumental to enabling Brexit.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    edited January 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

we buy Chevy for £10k
    they buy Jag for £40k

The one thing Trump's cabinet is stuffed with is businessmen, I'd expect trade deals to be good for the USA.
    And bad for us. Poorer food standards. ISDS court for multinationals. One thing it won't deliver - Taking Back Control.

The US/EU tariffs are already relatively low. It is the regulations and standards that are the problem. US will insist for the UK that they are US standards. It might cause us problems exporting UK goods with US standard to the EU.
  • Options

The US don't really make European cars, except BMWs maybe we should import them from the US rather than Germany?

My mate bought a BMW in the US in 2000. The deal they offered him was to fly to the factory in Germany to see the car coming off the production line, drive it round Europe for 2 weeks, then it was shipped the US.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

we buy Chevy for £10k
    they buy Jag for £40k
    BMW only make the X5 in the USA, Mercedes the M class. But the yanks do make lots of trucks and pickups.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    MaxPB said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Isn't there something rather infra dig about Prime Minister May's obvious excitement at being the first leader to be summoned to an audience with Groper Trump?

The spectacle of the grey vicars daughter kissing Trumps orange arse is going to be popcorn time again.
    If this was reversed it would be evidence that Trump was sidelining Britain in favour of the EU, I'm sure.

It's really not a cool look for a British Prime Minister. It reminds me of Blair at his most obsequious
    Not really any different to any previous race to meet an incoming POTUS. This time it's extremely valuable given how radical (or crazy, depending on one's outlook) Trump's agenda is.

Anyway, Heathrow beckons. Manilla here we come!
    @MaxPB are you planning to stay in Manila or move around a bit ? It it was me I would give it an afternoon and then get out of the traffic into the pretty bit ;)
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited January 2017
    More

May must be tearing her hair out at the stupidity of some of these people. At least the LibDems are being pretty open that their strategy is based purely and simply on keeping us in the EU come what may.

The fact is that "Hard Brexit" is not a strategy. It is simply the only solution that the UK can implement without the co-operation at any level of the rest of the EU. Ruling out that option as a condition of leaving the EU simply means that the EU can refuse to give way on anything leaving the UK forced to remain.

And the particular danger is that putting pressure on the PM from her "own side" will simply embolden the EU to drag its feet in the hope that we won't leave. Which then makes what the "constructive criticisers" claim they don't want (ie. a full disorderly exit) more likely.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

The tories were bastards too, Cameron got a free education but decided everyone else should pay more, my views on David Willetts have been well aired on here over the years.
    no such thing as a free lunch
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    FF43 said:

Trump is very much the Emperor's new clothes. That is why he is so prickly over the size of the crowds. He knows the Truth and believes that he can overcome it with bombastic demagogary.

Trump is Macbeth. He's mad, but there's a lot of method to his madness. Undermining the media is policy, as it allows him to control his message. So he picks a fight about something silly like the number of people turning up to his inauguration.
    Actually, I'm not sure there's method there. My take on it is;

He's genuinely pissed off he's not getting the respect he thinks he deserves. He remembers the popularity and media coverage of Obama's inauguration and expects the same.

He's an insecure man who desperately, desperately wants to be loved by the very people who hate him.
  • Options
    On the topic of this thread, I note that TSE repeats the idea that there was a convention that the Speaker alternates between major parties. In fact the Speaker is almost always from the governing party at the time of their first election. It just so happened that, after Sir Harry Hylton-Foster stood down in 1965, the fourth successive Conservative speaker, choosing the Speaker from the governing party meant that the role alternated between the parties. The anomaly was Betty Boothroyd, who was the only Speaker in the 20th Century who was not a member of the governing party at the time of first election. Michael Martin's election constituted a return to the normal convention. John Bercow's election again departed from the normal convention. In total 14 Speakers have been elected since 1900. All but 2 of them have come from the governing party at the time of the election.

On the conversation, I have to say I am disgusted by the extremely sexist remarks about Theresa May on this thread. Given the sexist abuse that was thrown at the female candidates in the 2015 Labour leadership election I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. But for people to claim they are in favour of women's rights to post remarks like this is extremely hypocritical. Or is protection from sexism only for women who hold the "right" political views?
  • Options

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

no such thing as a free lunch
    the current scheme is anything but a free lunch, it combines taxing young people upfront for studying and then dumping all the underpaid tax on the public further down the line.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

rkrkrk said:

100/1 seems remarkably generous. Hard to imagine that the pool of serious candidates that would garner enough support from fellow MPs is much bigger than ten or a dozen. 100/1 makes Carswell a rank outsider in that pool.

Also, on Buggins's Turn Theory, it really need sto be a non-Tory next. Tory MPs could happily vote for Carswell as "a UKIP guy", knowing that when push comes to shove, Carswell is more likely to meet their ideal for Speaker than a Labour or SNP bod.
    Not sure that theory applies when we're on the 3rd Labour appointed speaker in a row
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,903
    edited January 2017

Roger said:

John_M said:

You pompous arse!!

I'm not Labour anymore but without being sexist I'd always choose a woman over a man if an electable one was available. Yvette would have been a much better choice than Ed.

I think this US election has changed everything. I spent some hours reading about the six times bankrupt Donald Trump last night and he really is a piece of work . A genuine misogynist and racist. Check out his work on the 'birther' story.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,083

surbiton said:

philiph said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Blair adopted the Bush walk. Blair was in a teenage crush.

I doubt May will be so besotted by POTUS
    I don't think May can have a crush on anyone. She's cold!
    She has the look of a women who could give a BJ whilst reading an autoque though!!
    Imagine the OUTRAGE if Trump wrote something like that?

But because May is a Tory it's all fair.

Frankly, I expected better of you.
    I have to agree , totally out of order.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Good points.
    I just wonder if there aren't Tories still pissed off about the defection?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

we buy Chevy for £10k
    they buy Jag for £40k

And bad for us. Poorer food standards. ISDS court for multinationals. One thing it won't deliver - Taking Back Control.

The US/EU tariffs are already relatively low. It is the regulations and standards that are the problem. US will insist for the UK that they are US standards. It might cause us problems exporting UK goods with US standard to the EU.
    You mean we’d have to dumb down to the Septic standards?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

John_M said:

You pompous arse!!

I'm not Labour anymore but without being sexist I'd always choose a woman over a man if an electable one was available. Yvette would have been a much better choice than Ed.

I think this US election has changed everything. I spent some hours reading about the six times bankrupt Donald Trump last night and he really is a piece of work . A genuine misogynist and racist. Check out his work on the 'birther' story.
    Roger

even the neandertals of the DUP have a woman leader

fact is you lefties just wont elect a woman
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

John_M said:

You pompous arse!!

Well always choosing a woman over a man is sexist...

And the idea that... Trump is a msogynist so I get to be one in response.... Two wrongs don't make a right?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

WTF
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,796
    Pong said:

FF43 said:

Actually, I'm not sure there's method there. My take on it is;

He's genuinely pissed off he's not getting the respect he thinks he deserves. He remembers the popularity and media coverage of Obama's inauguration and expects the same.

He's an insecure man who desperately, desperately wants to be loved by the very people who hate him.
    Actually I agree with you on that part. People don't realise Trump is a deeply, deeply cynical man. Everyone - politicians, business leaders, his own allies and even the American people exist so he can get one over on them. It's in his DNA. Even though, like all politicians, he probably does believe he's acting in the interests of his own country.

On Theresa May's visit, I expect a very flattering statement: best friends, Brexit good decision, work together, expect an excellent trade deal in short order. The sting can come later.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Good points.
    I just wonder if there aren't Tories still pissed off about the defection?
    It was the Mark Reckless defection that really pissed off a lot of Tories.

It was timed to cause maximum damage to the Tories and the Tory conference.

At least Carswell didn't time his defection to damage the Tories.

The result in Rochester and Strood was the highlight of general election night for many Tories.
  • Options
    Hmmm. May "Working together on defeating terrorism."

Are we going to war again?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Not really any different to any previous race to meet an incoming POTUS. This time it's extremely valuable given how radical (or crazy, depending on one's outlook) Trump's agenda is.

Anyway, Heathrow beckons. Manilla here we come!
    @MaxPB are you planning to stay in Manila or move around a bit ? It it was me I would give it an afternoon and then get out of the traffic into the pretty bit ;)
    We're going to Bohol for 10 days, internal flight to Cebu and then a boat ride I think.
  • Options
    @paul__johnson: Marr: 2m women marched against Trump. Will you raise issue with him?
    May: I will be raising issues of special relationship.
    That's a no.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

better get Tony, he's good at this sort of thing
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Jonathan said:

Why do you ask, Is Blair PM again?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

My mate bought a BMW in the US in 2000. The deal they offered him was to fly to the factory in Germany to see the car coming off the production line, drive it round Europe for 2 weeks, then it was shipped the US.
    Mercedes did that in Europe but UK pulled out in recent years. Was fairly common and cost peanuts, they flew you out , wined and dined hotel for the night , tour of factory next day and then you picked up your car, which had 2 weeks insurance.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,003
    edited January 2017
    Someone who bangs on and on and on about the Westminster elite, Cartel politics, & the cosy SW1 club becoming speaker seems a bit hypocritical, although I guess you could argue he would be in a position to reform it?

Great clip of Carswell asking Cameron a question in the Commons... no surprise the answer was a blatant lie from Dodgy Dave!
  • Options
    Compare and contrast...

@paulwaugh: Neatly put by @theresa_may. Tells @MarrShow the v fact of a female Prime Minister being 1st leader to meet him is one answer to his sexism.

@Alison_McGovern: Nah. One woman with power only matters if you do something for the millions without it twitter.com/janemerrick23/…
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Why do you ask, Is Blair PM again?
    If Blair couldn't/wouldn't stop a president, what chance May?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,903

Roger said:

Roger said:

John_M said:

You pompous arse!!

Roger

Seems like it. My image of the Labour party is now Corbyn McClusky and Watson and it's not a pretty sight which is why I've moved on. I don't think it's a left-right thing though it has been said Tories prefer a leader who reminds them of their first nanny (usually female)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@paul__johnson: Marr: 2m women marched against Trump. Will you raise issue with him?
    That's a no.

What do you suggest she ask? I'd be really happy if world leaders did start to question their less savoury counterparts, but it ain't gonna happen, so why does May have to start now?
  • Options
    This is a good interview. Kudos to both May and Marr.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    Jonathan said:

We already are against ISIS
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Boots on ground?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Boots on ground?
    We almost certainly have intelligence and special forces on the ground.
  • Options
    I have a minor game of guessing who wrote the thread headers before I reach the end.

TSE made it easy today.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

She is very confident and does not suffer fools gladly.

We are very lucky at this moment in history to have a Prime Minister who will always put Britain first and will admonish Trump over his attitudes to women without any shadow of doubt
  • Options
    I checked Chevvy's website - they are 30 - 90k, not 10k :(
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Oh dear. May nearly blows it by not answering Trident question. Michael Howard.

Unlike Paxman, Marr lets her off the hook.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The missile that was supposed to go to near Tenerife, and ended up flying to the USA ?
  • Options

I have a minor game of guessing who wrote the thread headers before I reach the end.

TSE made it easy today.

I play that too!

I think the MO here is to tip a big price, hope a few people have £2 on it then point out it's price has moved, buff nails etc etc
  • Options

Jonathan said:

We are very lucky at this moment in history to have a Prime Minister who will always put Britain first and will admonish Trump over his attitudes to women without any shadow of doubt
    Really?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Don't b esilly , she will bob and curtsey and hope to get some crumbs from his table. He is the Big Dog she is the beggar. He will love lording it over a Tory hob knob and will show who is in control.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Really?
    Yes
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    UKIPs Stoke price not really changed much since Nuttall was announced after an initial move... thin market though

Lab 1.8-1.85
    UKIP 2.6-2.78
    Con 15.5-21
    LD 27-38
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

The missile that was supposed to go to near Tenerife, and ended up flying to the USA ?
    Sounds like our 200 - 300 Billion is being wisely invested. Worth leaving people sleeping in shop doorways and dying on trolleys etc to ensure we are safe.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

Don't b esilly , she will bob and curtsey and hope to get some crumbs from his table. He is the Big Dog she is the beggar. He will love lording it over a Tory hob knob and will show who is in control.
    Happy Birthday Malc - lang may yer lum reek
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Boots on ground?
    We almost certainly have intelligence and special forces on the ground.
    Yet once again it falls to the Russians to sort it out. Meanwhile we pretend we are big shots yet achieve nothing.
  • Options

TSE made it easy today.

A very minor game when written by Mr Meeks!
  • Options
    Well, overnight and this morning we have learnt that pb lefties want to (a) ditch the American democratic system (b) ditch democracy altogether in favour of totalitarianism (c) ditch political correctness in favour of vile sexist abuse of female politicians. And all because their favourite London Italian restaurants face closure and they might have to meet some British workers on their rare visits to this country.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

Happy Birthday Malc - lang may yer lum reek
    Cheers Big_G much appreciated.
  • Options
    Anna Soubry coming on side on Sky - think her constituency may have an influence - very complimentary to Theresa May

• Options
    isam said:

UKIPs Stoke price not really changed much since Nuttall was announced after an initial move... thin market though

Lab 1.8-1.85
    UKIP 2.6-2.78
    Con 15.5-21
    LD 27-38

Is it any wonder he is a turnip.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,982
    PlatoSaid said:

I'd a peek at Twitter in the small hours - and I ended crying with laughter at some of the ridiculous antics, wailing, unfortunate photos of protestors.

The interweb never forgets - and I'd die of embarrassment if I appeared in any of them.
    It's a more fruitful use of time to figure out why you lost, and what you need to do to win next time.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Just to put that point a bit more strongly, if there's ever been a leader it's worth meeting personally, it's Trump.

Normally a president will already have well thought-out views, and will also have advice from experts. It's probably quite unusual to be able to substantially sway their opinion by talking to them personally.

As far as we can tell, Trump is breathtakingly ignorant, has no settled political philosophy, goes with his gut and doesn't listen to advice. It's a long-shot but May's best bet is to get over there as fast as she possibly can, get him in a room, say a bunch of flattering things and try to get him to sign an agreement there and then before anybody else can stop him.
  • Options
    I'm sure this could be used as a basis of some socio-political thesis on the USA.

The sports stadium with the highest capacity is in North Korea.

The next nine largest are college football stadia in states that voted for Trump.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stadiums_by_capacity

There's plenty of other college stadia further down the list as well and its amusing to see that the Dallas Independent School District has a bigger stadium than the English national football team.

It must come in useful for:

' Blondes vs. Brunettes powderpuff football games are played in cities across the United States. ... The increasing popularity of the game in the Dallas area resulted in moving the 2012 game to the Cotton Bowl where it could accommodate a larger crowd. '

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_Bowl_(stadium)

Now I knew that college football was a big thing in the USA but I never realised their stadia dwarfed those of the NFL.

• Options

Jonathan said:

Really?
    Yes
    In what way?

Trump- "Theresa, great to see the English PM here, it's gonna be great, so good, we're making the special relationship great again".

May- "Cheers, Don. You've got to stop being such a racist, sexiest, misogynistic, loud mouthed tosser. Now, how about a trade deal?"

It might work.......
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

Don't be silly, she will bob and curtsey and hope to get some crumbs from his table. He is the Big Dog she is the beggar. He will love lording it over a Tory hob knob and will show who is in control.
    Yes. Her prompt visit to the new Trump tower smacks of desperation.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,788
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

John_M said:

You pompous arse!!

Roger

I don't think it's a left-right thing though
    Just a coincidence then that the only two major parties in the UK never to have had a female leader are Labour & the Lib Dems?

Imagine what you'd be writing if it was Labour who first had a female leader 40 years ago and the Tories still hadn't?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

That's a no.

Have those 2m women not got fridges to clean behind? Forget misogyny - seems that White Goods Deprivation is the hidden issue out there....
  • Options

I'm sure this could be used as a basis of some socio-political thesis on the USA.

The sports stadium with the highest capacity is in North Korea.

The next nine largest are college football stadia in states that voted for Trump.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stadiums_by_capacity

There's plenty of other college stadia further down the list as well and its amusing to see that the Dallas Independent School District has a bigger stadium than the English national football team.

It must come in useful for:

' Blondes vs. Brunettes powderpuff football games are played in cities across the United States. ... The increasing popularity of the game in the Dallas area resulted in moving the 2012 game to the Cotton Bowl where it could accommodate a larger crowd. '

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_Bowl_(stadium)

Now I knew that college football was a big thing in the USA but I never realised their stadia dwarfed those of the NFL.

Back in 1997, there was a similar thesis here, something like only 4 of the 92 professional football clubs in England had their stadiums in Tory held seats.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

isam said:

Lab 1.8-1.85
    UKIP 2.6-2.78
    Con 15.5-21
    LD 27-38

Is it any wonder he is a turnip.
    I am not at all convinced about UKIP and Paul Nuttall in Stoke, indeed I would think the conservatives may have an equal chance. However, the votes between the two are likely to let labour come through the middle unless as is being reported labour are in meltdown both in Copeland and Stoke.

If I did bet I would put a small amount on the conservatives but be ready to lose the bet
  • Options

Well, overnight and this morning we have learnt that pb lefties want to (a) ditch the American democratic system (b) ditch democracy altogether in favour of totalitarianism (c) ditch political correctness in favour of vile sexist abuse of female politicians. And all because their favourite London Italian restaurants face closure and they might have to meet some British workers on their rare visits to this country.

Ah, you've seen tyson's recent rantings and ravings haven't you!!
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Really?
    Yes
    In what way?

Trump- "Theresa, great to see the English PM here, it's gonna be great, so good, we're making the special relationship great again".

May- "Cheers, Don. You've got to stop being such a racist, sexiest, misogynistic, loud mouthed tosser. Now, how about a trade deal?"

It might work.......
    In more diplomatic terms yes
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,070
    edited January 2017
    Mr Trump will win in 2020 if his economic policies are seen to have worked, and will lose if they are seen to have failed.

So, let's split his policies into three categories: taxes, spending and trade.

Taxes

Roughly: On the corporate side, Trump proposes cutting corporation tax from 35% to 15%, eliminating the tax deductability of interest, allowing capital expense to be written off against tax in year one, eliminating taxation on pass through earnings (benefiting property developers), imposing a one-off 10% tax on repatriation of foreign earnings, and eliminating the corporate minimum tax.

Personally, the tax threshold for married couples goes to $30,000, the top rate of tax drops from 40% to 33% (mostly by abolishing thresholds above that level), capital gains taxes are slashed, and the alternative minimum tax and estate taxes are effectively abolished. Carried interest provisions, which enabled private equity managers to dodge tax, are abolished.

On the campaign trail, it was suggested that these cuts would be balanced by a bonfire of the deductions. (Like with film partnerships in the UK, certain spending can be offset against tax for one reason or another in the US. And because these subsidies measures are each small, and affect a few people greatly, they had historically grown like weeds, resulting in an ever expanding US tax code.) It now looks like the vast majority of deductions will be kept. Indeed, the only deductions that look certain to go involve state income taxes – and affect only the citizens of Massachusetts, New York and California. There are also new tax deductions planned, which means (especially with the repeal of the Alternative Minimum Tax) that the difference between actual tax rates and headline ones is likely to grow even wider going forward.

What does this all mean?

It means that Americans, particularly rich Americans, are going to see very large tax cuts in the next few years. Federal tax receipts are about $3.6trillion currently. According to analysis from the Wharton School of Business, these plans would knock around $500bn off in year one (when there is a foreign repatriation bonus), and more than $700bn in subsequent years. The Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Centre estimates the annual cost at $620bn.

Now, these numbers are likely to prove somewhat pessimistic, I suspect. If you slash taxes, people feel richer and the economy is larger than you’d expect. (Simply, people spend their money more efficiently than the government, and therefore the smaller tax percentage is on a larger economy.) However, the scale of these reductions is such that the Federal Deficit is likely to expand quite dramatically irrespective. How much? Well, by around 3% of GDP. This would be the largest tax driven stimulus to the US economy on record, and would take the government deficit from around 3% of GDP to 6% (absent spending changes).

(Other parts to follow when I write them :))
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852

Jonathan said:

Really?
    Yes
    In what way?

It might work.......
    Post of the day for sure :joy:
This discussion has been closed.