Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories’ current odds-on status in Copeland doesn’t square

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    tyson said:

tyson said:

As much as it saddens me, but it looks like China has the best political model to negotiate the way forward. Democracy with the stupid, ideological nihilism of Trump and Brexit speaks for itself.

The EU is the last bastion of collective democracy....if that goes by the wayside as the extreme nationalistic morons want, then the China model....... here we come.

Brexit and Trump......a word of caution....you are pushing us all the more quickly into totalitarianism.,,

Wow. You are utterly deranged.

China and the EU as beacons of democracy? Two entities that are inherently and undeniably undemocratic... a one-party state with an appalling human rights record and a bureaucratic suppressor of democratic nation-states.

v.

Two constitutional democratic decision of citizens (Brexit and electing Trump) by free citizens of long-standing liberal democratic nations.

You've lost it. Please, fellow PBers, I can't be the only one who feels bewildered how anyone could think like 'tyson'. Can someone explain it to me? Is this a side-effect of the modern world with its social media etc? Because I'm sure someone plucked out of say 50 or 100 years ago would look at the facts, then look at tyson's comments, and conclude only that he's an utter idiot.
    Trump and Brexit show that Democracy is clearly failing...I used to believe once that democracy would provide the best outcomes by and large (even Thatcher 3 times)...but now with Trump and Brexit, the collective will of the people leads to this load of old bollocks......

Churchill, the advocate of global institutions, would think likewise.......
    Sometimes the vote goes against you. That doesn't mean that democracy has failed.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

As much as it saddens me, but it looks like China has the best political model to negotiate the way forward. Democracy with the stupid, ideological nihilism of Trump and Brexit speaks for itself.

The EU is the last bastion of collective democracy....if that goes by the wayside as the extreme nationalistic morons want, then the China model....... here we come.

Brexit and Trump......a word of caution....you are pushing us all the more quickly into totalitarianism.,,

China and the EU as beacons of democracy? Two entities that are inherently and undeniably undemocratic... a one-party state with an appalling human rights record and a bureaucratic suppressor of democratic nation-states.

v.

Two constitutional democratic decision of citizens (Brexit and electing Trump) by free citizens of long-standing liberal democratic nations.

You've lost it. Please, fellow PBers, I can't be the only one who feels bewildered how anyone could think like 'tyson'. Can someone explain it to me? Is this a side-effect of the modern world with its social media etc? Because I'm sure someone plucked out of say 50 or 100 years ago would look at the facts, then look at tyson's comments, and conclude only that he's an utter idiot.
    Trump and Brexit show that Democracy is clearly failing...I used to believe once that democracy would provide the best outcomes by and large (even Thatcher 3 times)...but now with Trump and Brexit, the collective will of the people leads to this load of old bollocks......

Churchill was an advocate of Democracy far more than he was an advocate of global institutions. In fact with your self-loathing of your nation and moaning about democracy having "failed" it is worth bearing in mind the words the great man said himself.

Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Floater said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

v.

Yes Tyson.

People should only have a vote if they vote for someone you approve of.
    tyson believes in totalitarianism :)

Well, what else makes Italian trains run on time? :)
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Scott_P said:

Trump is obsessed with size. Is it because of his tiny, tiny crowds?

https://twitter.com/acosta/status/822916148190711808

This man is the epitome of an 'triggered' individual. A 70 year old man shouldn't be this sensitive.
    There's a method to this: By loudly disputing all and any adverse data points, you turn them into political controversies. The media will them feel obliged to report them with balance, in the frame of "some people say that black is black, but other people say that black is white" and the voters will go away thinking it's all very complicated.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Trump is obsessed with size. Is it because of his tiny, tiny crowds?

https://twitter.com/acosta/status/822916148190711808

This man is the epitome of an 'triggered' individual. A 70 year old man shouldn't be this sensitive.
    There's a method to this: By loudly disputing all and any adverse data points, you turn them into political controversies. The media will them feel obliged to report them with balance, in the frame of "some people say that black is black, but other people say that black is white" and the voters will go away thinking it's all very complicated.
    This is exactly the tactic used by the AGW denial squad, and it's even caught out the BBC. A couple of years ago, the BBC wes severely criticised for pitting denier politicians (Nigel Lawson was one of them) against representatives of the scientific community. The public came way thinking that there were two sides to the argument when, in reality, it was a bunch of politicians spouting rhetoric against scientifically demonstrated facts.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

tyson said:

v.

You mean that democracy has situated you in the losing minority. It is still democracy and neither Brexit nor Trump are failures.

In some ways, both Brexit and Trump's victory are triumphs of democracy over the Establishment. They may not lead to the best possible outcomes for their respective countries, but by allowing the left-behinds to express themselves democratically, such elections and referenda as these save democracy (while simultaneously showing its strength and strong health in the US and UK), rather than destroy it (which is what would happen if the Establishments were allowed continually to dismiss the concerns of the unwashed as disastrous emotions of the uneducated, as you seem to).

The purpose of populist ballot box results such as these is to let of steam before a much more damaging explosion results. You seem to wish the pressure cooker weights were jammed shut.
    This is where the German system of federalism and proportional representation wins out. It's fairly easy for populist parties to gain a modicum of power there. However, they invariably fuck up after a couple of years, are seen for what they are, and are thrown out again with no great lasting damage. In the UK and USA, on the other hand, there is little opportunity for populist parties to gain even minor power until their support reaches a certain threshold. When it does, though, the world is their oyster. This is not a good thing.
  • Options

MTimT said:

You mean that democracy has situated you in the losing minority. It is still democracy and neither Brexit nor Trump are failures.

In some ways, both Brexit and Trump's victory are triumphs of democracy over the Establishment. They may not lead to the best possible outcomes for their respective countries, but by allowing the left-behinds to express themselves democratically, such elections and referenda as these save democracy (while simultaneously showing its strength and strong health in the US and UK), rather than destroy it (which is what would happen if the Establishments were allowed continually to dismiss the concerns of the unwashed as disastrous emotions of the uneducated, as you seem to).

The purpose of populist ballot box results such as these is to let of steam before a much more damaging explosion results. You seem to wish the pressure cooker weights were jammed shut.

This is where the German system of federalism and proportional representation wins out. It's fairly easy for populist parties to gain a modicum of power there. However, they invariably fuck up after a couple of years, are seen for what they are, and are thrown out again with no great lasting damage. In the UK and USA, on the other hand, there is little opportunity for populist parties to gain even minor power until their support reaches a certain threshold. When it does, though, the world is their oyster. This is not a good thing.
    All the German system has done is force all the regular mainstream parties to work together to shut out the populists leading to ever increasing populist support and a collapse in choice of mainstream parties with no mainstream opposition.

At least in the UK and USA there are mainstream opposition parties (even if ours is headed by a weirdo).
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    Sean_F said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

v.

Sometimes the vote goes against you. That doesn't mean that democracy has failed.
    Are you a 'liberal', or are you a 'democrat'?

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/state-of-democracy-voting-out-trump-brexit-book-review
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Floater said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

v.

Yes Tyson.

People should only have a vote if they vote for someone you approve of.
    As a PB Tory, I approve of this message :p
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Brexit is a constitutional decision. Westminster authorised the referendum for us to decide it and now Westminster will implement our decision. In 20 years time nobody will care about Article 5p votes etc as being the decision just as for Welsh devolution the incredibly tight non-binding referendum is what is viewed historically and rightly as being the decision.
    If Westminster doesn't want non binding referendums to be constitutional democratic decisions it should stop passing and then implementing non binding referendums for us to vote on.

I thought it was the Conservatives who set up the entire thing, drew up a meaningless question, made sure that Conservatives headed both sides of the campaign, made use of irrelevancies and impossibilties to win their case -and all this to cover over a fundamental split in the ranks of the Conservative Party.

"Westminster" is currently in the hands of the Conservative Party. Much better to say "Conservative Party" when that is what you mean.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    edited January 2017
    PClipp said:

Brexit is a constitutional decision. Westminster authorised the referendum for us to decide it and now Westminster will implement our decision. In 20 years time nobody will care about Article 5p votes etc as being the decision just as for Welsh devolution the incredibly tight non-binding referendum is what is viewed historically and rightly as being the decision.
    If Westminster doesn't want non binding referendums to be constitutional democratic decisions it should stop passing and then implementing non binding referendums for us to vote on.

I thought it was the Conservatives who set up the entire thing, drew up a meaningless question, made sure that Conservatives headed both sides of the campaign, made use of irrelevancies and impossibilties to win their case -and all this to cover over a fundamental split in the ranks of the Conservative Party.

"Westminster" is currently in the hands of the Conservative Party. Much better to say "Conservative Party" when that is what you mean.
    and whose fault is that... you can hardly blame for Conservatives for expanding into the void made available to them by the other parties. Labour have vanished off into the distant left such that even sensible working class voters have deserted them, the Kippers are falling apart because May has stolen the important parts of their clothing, and your Lib Dems repel anyone who has the slightest doubt about being a member of the EU and/or having open borders.

To be accurate, the head of the Leave campaign was that well known Conservative, Gisela Stuart.
  • Options
    White House confirms May first foreign leader to visit Trump:

The President will welcome his first foreign leader this Thursday when the United Kingdom's Theresa May will come to Washington -- on Friday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/01/21/sean-spicer-held-a-press-conference-he-didnt-take-questions-or-tell-the-whole-truth/

So to the Remoaners who were hoping Netanyahu would pip her to the post.....tough....
  • Options

The President will welcome his first foreign leader this Thursday when the United Kingdom's Theresa May will come to Washington -- on Friday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/01/21/sean-spicer-held-a-press-conference-he-didnt-take-questions-or-tell-the-whole-truth/

So to the Remoaners who were hoping Netanyahu would pip her to the post.....tough....

No, apparently it is Merkel who won this one.. biding her time... titters :D
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Angela Merkel, Bernard Cazeneuve and Charles Michel at the back of the queue…
  • Options
    RobD said:

No, apparently it is Merkel who won this one.. biding her time... titters :D
    Not sure Angela is going to like hearing what Trump has to say on defence spending....let alone the Belgians.....
  • Options

What no chasing the POTUS through the kitchens just to get a few words with him?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    PClipp said:

That will have come as a shock to the Labour, LibDem and Crossbencher members of the House of Lords....
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852

Haven't you noticed that everything is the fault of BrExit at the moment for them ?

Raining today ? That will be because of BrExit
    Car won't start and was late for work ? BrExit is your man !
    Didn't get laid last night ? Guess What ? BrExit
    Cat got run over ? BrExit sure enough !
    Daughter's new boyfriend has a pink mohican ? BrExit!

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2017
    This made me chuckle...

• Options

What no chasing the POTUS through the kitchens just to get a few words with him?
    But, but, but.....Theresa May is a 'pound shop Gordon Brown', according to one of her Fen Poly critics.....

The Guardian:
    Gordon Brown lurched from being hailed as a global statesman to intense embarrassment tonight, after it emerged US President Barack Obama had turned down no fewer than five requests from Downing Street to hold a bilateral meeting at the United Nations in New York or at the G20 summit starting in Pittsburgh today.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/sep/23/barack-obama-gordon-brown-talks
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

This made me chuckle...

That is very good.
  • Options

Haven't you noticed that everything is the fault of BrExit at the moment for them ?

Raining today ? That will be because of BrExit
    Car won't start and was late for work ? BrExit is your man !
    Didn't get laid last night ? Guess What ? BrExit
    Cat got run over ? BrExit sure enough !
    Daughter's new boyfriend has a pink mohican ? BrExit!

Still alive in the morning? Despite Brexit!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2017
    Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), which wrongly designated Maajid Nawaz, a Muslim reformer, an “anti-Muslim extremist”. The SPLC confirmed to me that Soros funded its “anti-Muslim extremists” report targeting Nawaz.

What the absolute f##k (as the kidz say these days)....that is beyond bonkers.
  • Options

But, but, but.....Theresa May is a 'pound shop Gordon Brown', according to one of her Fen Poly critics.....

The Guardian:
    Gordon Brown lurched from being hailed as a global statesman to intense embarrassment tonight, after it emerged US President Barack Obama had turned down no fewer than five requests from Downing Street to hold a bilateral meeting at the United Nations in New York or at the G20 summit starting in Pittsburgh today.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/sep/23/barack-obama-gordon-brown-talks
    Brown was also savaged by Charles Clarke, who told the Evening Standard that in his view Brown's leadership risked letting "the whole Labour ship crash on to the rocks of May 2010 [the expected date of the general election] and sink for a very long time".

Very perceptive :D
  • Options
    We have the best new threads here, don't we folks!
This discussion has been closed.