Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lib Dem incumbency: immune to government?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Demystifying?

Mr. Palmer, I must disagree.

"15. Would you like a belief system which clearly states how it proves itself?"

That rather implies Islam does so. No religion can. A system of evidence and proof is science, not faith.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,683
    edited July 2013
    Another foreshortening farce at Lords...
  • Options

I'm 75% Muslim, apparently. It's quite a good de-mystifying survey, but it avoids some of the rather basic questions like "Do you think there is a god of any kind?" It's more of a test of whether you share a range of general attitudes with Muslims.

Why so?

• Options
    The Associated Press ‏@AP 5m
    BREAKING: Helen Thomas, a pioneer for women in journalism, has died.
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    Universal national swing (excluding Scotland) was the closest method to predicting seat numbers in the 2010 election. I can t see any reason why the Lib Dems could substantially out perform UNS particularly with the new factor that they would have been ,for the first time actually have been in power as part of an unpopular coalition and will likely have swings against them from Labour Conservatives, the SNP and UKIP.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756

Demystifying?

Mr. Palmer, I must disagree.

"15. Would you like a belief system which clearly states how it proves itself?"

That rather implies Islam does so. No religion can. A system of evidence and proof is science, not faith.

Isn't science also Faith insofar as many of its major assumptions ( big bang etc.) remain hypotheses rather than conclusive ?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

I'm 75% Muslim, apparently. It's quite a good de-mystifying survey, but it avoids some of the rather basic questions like "Do you think there is a god of any kind?" It's more of a test of whether you share a range of general attitudes with Muslims.

Quite wrong, Nick. According to Islam you are either 100% muslim or you are nothing. In fact a 75% muslim is considered an apostate and again, according to shiria law, you can be beheaded for that crime. How's your neck these days?
  • Options
    No, Mr. Brooke.

If evidence emerged that the Big Bang theory is false then science would discard the theory and seek a new one. That's the difference between faith and science. Faith decides what the answers are and then seeks evidence to fit it, science looks at the evidence and then decides what conclusion is logical.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Eastleigh definitely injects a big unknown. The LDs have held it once on similar polling to what they have now, so maybe they'll hold more than we think. On the other hand, they can't send every campaigner to one seat come 2015, so maybe they won't repeat it nationwide. As for Eastleigh itself, I think it comes down to if Farage runs there.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Andy_JS said:

David Herdson avers that the LDs have a higher activist base than UKIP but I was given to understand that the purples are catching up rather rapidly with Clegg's party in terms of membership numbers.

James Forsyth mentioned that a third of the LD membership live in London.

(I think this was in a 'View from 22' podcast during the Eastleigh by-election.)

• Options
    edited July 2013

No, Mr. Brooke.

If evidence emerged that the Big Bang theory is false then science would discard the theory and seek a new one. That's the difference between faith and science. Faith decides what the answers are and then seeks evidence to fit it, science looks at the evidence and then decides what conclusion is logical.

I think you'll find religion has a habit of junking orthodoxy and coming up with a new view, it's why we get schisms and sects. As for science looking for the evidence well maybe, but it has to fill the gaps with hypotheses since otherwise it will struggle. Universe or multiverse who knows ?
  • Options
    Mr. Brooke, I'm well aware of the schismatic tendency of religion, but they tend not to split up due to new evidence but due to philosophical differences (ie whether Jesus was perfect because he was God, or imperfect because he was man).

Scientific discussion of what we can't be sure of yet leads to gathering of evidence and experimentation to prove, one way or the other, if a theory holds water. What evidence would persuade a Muslim that Mohammed was not a prophet?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Eastleigh could be a LD-UKIP battle if the local elections are anything to go by. The Tories had a dreadful result, polling just 17% in May:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dEtSTDNlVzhGcWl3RF9iMUd3aGJmWnc#gid=0

{Note: Chandler's Ford is in the Winchester constituency despite being within Eastleigh borough}.
  • Options
    Tour de France: Stage 20, live:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/23388877
  • Options
    thye

Mr. Brooke, I'm well aware of the schismatic tendency of religion, but they tend not to split up due to new evidence but due to philosophical differences (ie whether Jesus was perfect because he was God, or imperfect because he was man).

Scientific discussion of what we can't be sure of yet leads to gathering of evidence and experimentation to prove, one way or the other, if a theory holds water. What evidence would persuade a Muslim that Mohammed was not a prophet?

They do split because of new evidence usually someone claiming they have had a vision or a message, that's pretty much the basis of Mormonism. As for discussion scientists can be as fanatical as any religion, two world wars were powered by social Darwinism and the current AGW ruckus isn't exactly a cool-headed review. i see parallels in science and religion both have their high priests and false prophets.
  • Options
    I was in Eastleigh on the day of the by-election and asked a UKIP activist whether they had any chance of winning. They replied "very unlikely". So it seems they did better than even they were expecting.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Andy_JS said:

Eastleigh could be a LD-UKIP battle if the local elections are anything to go by. The Tories had a dreadful result, polling just 17% in May:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dEtSTDNlVzhGcWl3RF9iMUd3aGJmWnc#gid=0

{Note: Chandler's Ford is in the Winchester constituency despite being within Eastleigh borough}.

We're balancing first-time incumbency bonus, and the rarity of by-election holds being overturned, against the possibility the Tories get behind UKIP, despite it not being in their strategic interest to elect the first UKIP MP.

It will be one of the most fascinating contests in 2015...
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Surely there's only one way to decide between science and religion?

A fight between Stephen Hawking and the Pope.
  • Options
    A vision or a message is not evidence.

Whilst I share your loathing of Social Darwinism I have a hard time believing that was the root cause of the Archduke's assassination, or played a role in Germany's fear France would try and retake Alsace and Lorraine.

I do, however, agree that some scientists can be fanatical. But science itself is a system of evidence, scepticism and critical thinking. Faith is about credulity, coming to conclusions without needing any evidence.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited July 2013
    @Neil

Brighton Pavilion Labour have selected. Look back in the comments

And the runner up in BOS selection have already left the party....because they are choosing too many white candidates for local elections in Southwark.
  • Options
    I would love it if @thejensie wins the stage today. Pretty unlikely though.
    Andy_JS said:

Tour de France: Stage 20, live:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/23388877

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Anyone know who the frontrunners are for the Labour selections in Battersea and Erewash?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    To all intents and purposes England have won the second test at Lords.

They lead by 404 at tea and it would take a miracle for Australia to win from here.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Andy:

Battarsea have chosen. Will Martindale is the winner.

We have the full list of nominations to get a clue on who were the frontrunners:

Balham & Northcote – Samantha Heath & Will Martindale
    Fairfield – Samantha Heath & Sean McKee (NB: Sean McKee withdrew subsequent to the nomination meeting, but prior to long-listing)
    Latchmere - Sheila Boswell & Sundar Thavapalasundaram
    Queenstown - Samantha Heath & Will Martindale
    Shaftesbury – Sheila Boswell, Chris Summers & Sundar Thavapalasundaram
    St. Mary’s Park – Samantha Heath & Will Martindale

Affiliated organisations made the following nominations.

Co-Operative Party: Sheila Boswell
    Communication Workers Union: No nomination received
    Unite (Kingston-upon-Thames): Sheila Boswell
    Unite (South Thames): Sheila Boswell
    USDAW: No nomination received

• Options

A vision or a message is not evidence.

Whilst I share your loathing of Social Darwinism I have a hard time believing that was the root cause of the Archduke's assassination, or played a role in Germany's fear France would try and retake Alsace and Lorraine.

I do, however, agree that some scientists can be fanatical. But science itself is a system of evidence, scepticism and critical thinking. Faith is about credulity, coming to conclusions without needing any evidence.

in religious terms it is.

The background of social Darwinism was pretty well established in Europe in the early C20, with most of the major european nations believing they were the epitome of mankind, France with its mission civiiatrice, Germany with its belief in it's own destiny and we were hardly immune. Darwinism was pretty much the basis for a lot of nationalist movements on why they were superior and contributed to the reasons for war.

As for your view on science, there are also a lot of religious people who would say what fanatics do has nothing to do with true religion.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 3m
    Do most Unite members support big donations to Labour? Do most see Miliband as the best PM? My #UnitePoll out on Tuesday
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @Andrea

I think the big guns in Brighton focused on Kemptown and Hove. Those are two seats that should be higher on the agenda for local Labour members (as they represent a swing of 2 rather than 1 in relation to the Tories). But the report quoted an impressive number of members locally, wasnt happy to hear that.

Southwark Labour always seems to have more shenanigans than average when it comes to selections for the Council.

• Options
    Piffle.

William James proved (and I mean 'proved' as in 'did some experiments to prove it' rather than 'had a vision') that so-called visions could be induced by taking drugs.

The Romans also believed they were supreme, and the Greeks looked down upon barbarians. Today, there's American exceptionalism, and I would be amazed if the Chinese didn't have a very high opinion of their country and countrymen, given their rapid economic growth.

On the other hand, Communist Russia, which apparently believed all were equal, killed more people in the various Terrors than were lost in the Holocaust. [Although both lag behind the 38m or so who died due to Mao's agricultural policies].

Your science/fanaticism comparison is flawed, because science definitely revolves around evidence used to support or contradict theories which are based upon reasoned observation. Whether fanatic or delightful, all religious people necessarily believe in things for which there is no evidence. It's called faith precisely for that reason. If there were proof of God or Mohammed being a prophet, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster (may you be touched by His Noodley Appendage) then everyone would 'believe', only it wouldn't be belief anymore, merely acknowledgement of a scientifically proven fact or a scientifically credible theory.
  • Options
    Go Froomey!
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    What a class act!

Go Froomey!

• Options
    Erewash is the next door seat to Broxtowe, although in Derbyshire rather than Nottinghamshire.

Swings from Lab to Con in 2010:

Erewash: 10.5%
    Broxtowe: 2.6%
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Actress Ruth Wilson in the Test Match Special commentary box at tea:

https://twitter.com/ollielavery/status/358601424554323968/photo/1

Incidentally, she's 4 days younger than the Duchess of Cambridge.
  • Options

Piffle.

William James proved (and I mean 'proved' as in 'did some experiments to prove it' rather than 'had a vision') that so-called visions could be induced by taking drugs.

The Romans also believed they were supreme, and the Greeks looked down upon barbarians. Today, there's American exceptionalism, and I would be amazed if the Chinese didn't have a very high opinion of their country and countrymen, given their rapid economic growth.

On the other hand, Communist Russia, which apparently believed all were equal, killed more people in the various Terrors than were lost in the Holocaust. [Although both lag behind the 38m or so who died due to Mao's agricultural policies].

Your science/fanaticism comparison is flawed, because science definitely revolves around evidence used to support or contradict theories which are based upon reasoned observation. Whether fanatic or delightful, all religious people necessarily believe in things for which there is no evidence. It's called faith precisely for that reason. If there were proof of God or Mohammed being a prophet, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster (may you be touched by His Noodley Appendage) then everyone would 'believe', only it wouldn't be belief anymore, merely acknowledgement of a scientifically proven fact or a scientifically credible theory.

well you're clearly on the scientific certainty side of the argument Mr D, I remain more open minded. I see very little difference between scientific certainty and those who have religious certainty, you'll shift neither in their arguments, yet both ultimately are as open to challenge as each other and both have the open hole that they are populated by humans who have an axe to grind and seek success in their chosen field. And again your definition of evidence is self-serving it might just be that you haven't worked out to measure it yet in the same way as social Darwinism was discredited by DNA when the measurement changed. we could all yet be floating through a multiverse on the back of a giant turtle ;-)
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @Neil

Members

Pavillion 694
    Hove 428
    Kempton 363

I guess Pavilion is the typical demographics of people who likes to join a political party!
  • Options
    MIss Fitalass, that's a good story.
  • Options
    Oh, indeed, Mr. Brooke. I'm an atheist, and always have been. The absence of evidence always made me wonder, even at primary school, why others believed. I'm not a Dawkins sort, if others wish to believe then (providing they don't seek to limit my own freedom of action) that's entirely up to them.

Anyway, I've enjoyed our little debate, but I'm off for the time being.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    "Not the Nine O'Clock News Conservative Party Political Broadcast":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzPJSuAQnbE&amp
  • Options
    Cat Smith gets Labour nomination in Lancaster and Fletwood.

http://www.catsmith.co.uk/

She worked for Bob Marshall Andrews, Katy Clark and Jeremy Corbyn!
    Dangerous...she will surely feature in Tory attacks
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    HYUFD said:

Against the Tories there is less swing, but still a LD to Tory swing of 4% since the election so any LD majority of 8% or less is vulnerable. Of course, were the Tories to eat into the UKIP score and get back to level-pegging with Labour or even approach a majority, scores of LD seats could go. Last week, poll showed virtually all LD rural seats in Scotland falling to the SNP, except Orkney. Indeed, a poll earlier this year showed a LD to SNP swing of 14% meaning any LD seat with a majority of 28% or less over the SNP is at risk, including Caithness and Inverness
    http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-news/in-brief/6511-poll-of-polls-shows-snp-ahead-of-labour-for-westminster

That is not a poll, it is a poll of polls.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

Rod - Safe? Lewes too will probably go Tory as the Tories now control the council, as could Portsmouth South given Hancock's recent problems. Kingston could even go, Davey only won it by 56 in 1997 when the Tory v LD gap was much smaller than now, as could Carshalton which was Tory until 1997. Cambridge will probably go back to Labour as will Bristol West and Cardiff Central too. Caithness and Inverness could well go SNP.
    Of the seats you give I would say only Southport and Southwark were 'safe' and Labour will likely put up a good performance against Hughes!

I know, any one or more of those things could happen, but the title of the thread is incumbency, and that is the LDs secret weapon!

Are we completely ruling out any LD gain? If so, it would - with the exception of 1970 - be the first time since 1955 that they would not score a gain...
    The best chance of an SLD gain would be Edinburgh South. In other words, no chance at all.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Cat Smith gets Labour nomination in Lancaster and Fletwood.

http://www.catsmith.co.uk/

She worked for Bob Marshall Andrews, Katy Clark and Jeremy Corbyn!
    Dangerous...she will surely feature in Tory attacks

She looks pretty young, maybe about 25.

Labour are really going for it as regards selecting youthful, female and/or ethnic minority candidates.

Interesting — I thought that selection was scheduled for 26th July but obviously not.
  • Options
    Shoddy journalism. Quintana was never going to finish 5 minutes clear.

BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport 5m
    Cycling: @chrisfroome all but seals overall victory in the #TourdeFrance, despite being beaten by Nairo Quintana in the penultimate stage
  • Options
    @Andy

She graduated from Lancaster University in 2006. Finished 6th form in 2003.
  • Options
    What's Cat short for? Catherine, I assume.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport 5m
    Cycling: @chrisfroome all but seals overall victory in the #TourdeFrance, despite being beaten by Nairo Quintana in the penultimate stage

why do they waste their time tweeting?

anyway, hurrah for Quintana! he's my favourite this tour. feel a little sorry for contador (surprisingly). wonder if he can come back next year and do something. maybe next yr will be full on froome vs quintana... nobody else really seems close
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

David Herdson avers that the LDs have a higher activist base than UKIP but I was given to understand that the purples are catching up rather rapidly with Clegg's party in terms of membership numbers.

James Forsyth mentioned that a third of the LD membership live in London.
    (I think this was in a 'View from 22' podcast during the Eastleigh by-election.)
    1/3 the members but only 1/10 of their seats are in London. Of the 6 seats, 5 will have full challenges. So little chance of re-deploying activists outside London.

• Options
    yes, Catherine. If you use Catherine Smith, you can find her Linkedin profile
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I scored 73%.

Many of the questions are highly contentious. Apparently my views that women should not be covered and that there should be freedom of religion and freedom of speech are muslim views.

So it seems the Saudis and Iranians are not muslims.

The fact that I think that many of Mohammeds teachings are a direct contradiction of Jesus teachings seems not to rule me out. Colour me more than a bit sceptical!
    MikeK said:

Quite wrong, Nick. According to Islam you are either 100% muslim or you are nothing. In fact a 75% muslim is considered an apostate and again, according to shiria law, you can be beheaded for that crime. How's your neck these days?
  • Options
    and apparently Quintana takes KOM. well deserved chapeau
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    "Rachael Slick ‏@RachaelSlick 8h

I just got a new kitten. I think I'll name him "Prayer," because he just sits there and doesn't do anything or go anywhere.
    Retweeted by Richard Dawkins ":

https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins
  • Options
    England making hay while the sun doesn't shine.
  • Options
    The BBC are just embarrassing when it comes to road cycling.
    Eurosport are the best and even the Phil and Paul show are just sooo much better.
    Bertie has just never been the same since he came back from his ban.

BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport 5m

why do they waste their time tweeting?

anyway, hurrah for Quintana! he's my favourite this tour. feel a little sorry for contador (surprisingly). wonder if he can come back next year and do something. maybe next yr will be full on froome vs quintana... nobody else really seems close
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

HYUFD said:

Against the Tories there is less swing, but still a LD to Tory swing of 4% since the election so any LD majority of 8% or less is vulnerable. Of course, were the Tories to eat into the UKIP score and get back to level-pegging with Labour or even approach a majority, scores of LD seats could go. Last week, poll showed virtually all LD rural seats in Scotland falling to the SNP, except Orkney. Indeed, a poll earlier this year showed a LD to SNP swing of 14% meaning any LD seat with a majority of 28% or less over the SNP is at risk, including Caithness and Inverness
    http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-news/in-brief/6511-poll-of-polls-shows-snp-ahead-of-labour-for-westminster

That is not a poll, it is a poll of polls.
    No it is not a poll of polls but a poll of sub samples of polls !!

• Options

Bertie has just never been the same since he came back from his ban.

indeed. (...........self moderated...........)
This discussion has been closed.