Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lib Dem incumbency: immune to government?

Comments

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    I've already booked a 2014 holiday at Ilkley which features in two of the stages.

Stage 3 next year from Cambridge to The Mall will be about as close as Le Tour gets to Harpenden.
    I'm still thinking about the best spectating strategy.
    Either watch it roll through Epping and dash home to watch the rest on TV, or head up to central London and find a spot near one of the big screens.

JackW said:

O/T
    Awesome bit of bike control by Vos the Boss. Question is, what was a pot hole doing just in front of the finish line?

http://vimeo.com/69596492

I hadn't realised Le Tour had passed through Harpenden where the number and size of the pot holes are so great that when it rains the area looks like the Great Lakes region of North America !!

• Options
    Those genuinely concerned about the future of state education want Gove out ASAP and many will vote accordingly.

Carola said:

I'm not sure that the polling indicates a 'loathing' of Hunt or Gove.

Not when 40% for Gove and 51% for Hunt 'don't know'.

On EdM, on the other hand, only 28% of 2010 Lib Dems 'don't know', while 52% think he's doing "badly".....

• Options

Nothings too good for the workers! Inverse snobbery anyone?

charlie whelan‏@charliewhelan58m
    Too many Tories #lords yesterday. An all Labour team with me today. At least didn't bump into Cameron in pavilion, he's not a member #ashes

That you would care either way about the political views of fellow spectators at a sporting event is beyond me. I'm pretty sure not everyone who sits round me a Tynecastle is a Tory, I must remember to ask them next time!
  • Options
    Will we see you in fancy dress along one of the climbs?
    I thought the guy in the giant chicken outfit yesterday was a good example of the genre.
    We could have a bit of fun competition and try to get a PB dot com banner on the TV.

I've already booked a 2014 holiday at Ilkley which features in two of the stages.

Stage 3 next year from Cambridge to The Mall will be about as close as Le Tour gets to Harpenden.
    I'm still thinking about the best spectating strategy.
    Either watch it roll through Epping and dash home to watch the rest on TV, or head up to central London and find a spot near one of the big screens.

JackW said:

O/T
    Awesome bit of bike control by Vos the Boss. Question is, what was a pot hole doing just in front of the finish line?

http://vimeo.com/69596492

I hadn't realised Le Tour had passed through Harpenden where the number and size of the pot holes are so great that when it rains the area looks like the Great Lakes region of North America !!

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,711

Those genuinely concerned about the future of state education want Gove out ASAP and many will vote accordingly.

Carola said:

On EdM, on the other hand, only 28% of 2010 Lib Dems 'don't know', while 52% think he's doing "badly".....

Polling evidence or anecdote?

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Carola said:

And in which perverse universe do Labour deserve another go at education?

They were awful with education.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    A retired vet woke to find a police torch being shone into his face when officers raided his home after the RSPCA received a tip-off that his two pet dogs were being maltreated.

A total of 13 officials – police, firemen and RSPCA officers – turned up unannounced in six vehicles at 70-year-old John Spicer’s home and broke down the door to get in while he was asleep.

His sheepdogs Puppy and Little Boy were taken away and Puppy was destroyed immediately.

Mr Spicer was arrested on suspicion of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal.

He had his fingerprints, DNA and mugshot taken and was held in a police cell for 24 hours before being released.

Yesterday he criticised the RSPCA for being heavy-handed and said he has still not been told what has happened to Little Boy.

‘The whole episode was a total over-reaction,’ Mr Spicer said. ‘I was asleep inside and the first thing I knew was a torch being shone six inches from my face by a police officer.

‘I was put barefoot in the back of a police van and told I was being arrested. I was in a cell at a police station for 24 hours.

Mr Spicer, who lives in the village of Gobowen near Oswestry, Shropshire, was released after being questioned by officers from the animal welfare charity.

Yesterday an RSPCA spokesman refused to say whether Mr Spicer would face prosecution as the investigation is ongoing.

His ordeal began at around 5pm on July 8 when two RSPCA officers in separate vans, two constables, a sergeant and two PCSOs from West Mercia Police in two cars and a van, plus a fire engine with six firemen on board, turned up at his whitewashed terraced home.

After using a fire engine ladder to peer inside an upstairs window, they broke down the door and let themselves in.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2370853/Police-RSPCA-firemen-turn-mob-handed-seize-vet-70-claim-cruel-dogs.html#ixzz2ZZtKPOBS

Theses case are on the increase. Since when has the RSPCA had the authority to act like min-police or even the STASI - this needs reining in by the Home Sec.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Those genuinely concerned about the future of state education want Gove out ASAP and many will vote accordingly.....

Link?

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Incumbency does matter in local elections, less so in national ones. Nationally it seems to be just a couple of percent, though of course this varies from seat to seat and may be crucial.

There is also negative incumbency which may affect some seats such as Danny Alexander. It nearly did for Ed Balls in 2010.

I am currently planning a wasted vote for the LDs. I live in a safe seat and do not like my MP.

No. On general election day the big battle for the LDs in Bedford will be to hold onto the elected mayoralty of which the party holds two, same as the Tories. They will do.

What's the point of wasting your general election vote?

Incumbency matters enormously in these contests.

It sounds as if in Bedford the LDs have acknowledged their loser status i

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Nonsense - they just think there's another way to do it - which is the essence of politics.

Carola said:

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    edited July 2013
    Financier said:

Financier said:

In Wales, the LibDems are far weaker than they were. They will lose Cardiff Central to Labour, very likely lose Brecon to the Conservatives and will just retain Ceredigion as Plaid are not that popular.

In general the LDs have proven to be somewhat unreliable coalition allies who put their own political foibles ahead of the economic and cultural good of the electorate.

it is a pity that you make a forecast without looking at whether the evidence backs it up .

Cardiff Central is very likely to be held by the Lib Dems but it will be a close fight . The Welsh Assembly result in 2011 was a virtual deadheat between Lib Dems and Labour but the results in the 6 council wards making up the parliamentary seat in 2012 had the Lib Dems well in the lead . Brecon was comfortably held by the Lib Dems in the 2011 Welsh Assembly .
    Mark:

I happen (for my sins) to have lived in Wales for the last 6 years and am using on-the-ground knowledge.

First 2011 is a long time ago in political terms. Since then Plaid has had a new leader - and a bit of a bounce -,but the Welsh LibDem leader is nigh invisible - as in the Welsh Con leader.

Also Welsh Council and AM elections are not a reliable guide to a GE result. For instance the upcoming election for an AM at Ynys Mon (Anglesey) will not be a reliable guide to 2015 due to the large number of independents.

In Ceredigion, Plaid lead the Council after the last local elections, but would you suggest that Mark Williams (LD) will lose his seat in 2015?

In S.Wales, Labour has woken up and are starting to try to improve education but at the same time do daft things like buying Cardiff airport - it is likely that all Cardiff seats will go Labour.
    Plaid led Ceredigion council in 2008 also and with a 5% greater vote share than they managed in 2012 . I would agree that Cardiff Central will be close but incumbency and a squeeze on the Conservative vote should see Jenny Wilmott home .

• Options
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Financier said:

Financier said:

In Wales, the LibDems are far weaker than they were. They will lose Cardiff Central to Labour, very likely lose Brecon to the Conservatives and will just retain Ceredigion as Plaid are not that popular.

In general the LDs have proven to be somewhat unreliable coalition allies who put their own political foibles ahead of the economic and cultural good of the electorate.

it is a pity that you make a forecast without looking at whether the evidence backs it up .

Cardiff Central is very likely to be held by the Lib Dems but it will be a close fight . The Welsh Assembly result in 2011 was a virtual deadheat between Lib Dems and Labour but the results in the 6 council wards making up the parliamentary seat in 2012 had the Lib Dems well in the lead . Brecon was comfortably held by the Lib Dems in the 2011 Welsh Assembly .
    Mark:

I happen (for my sins) to have lived in Wales for the last 6 years and am using on-the-ground knowledge.

First 2011 is a long time ago in political terms. Since then Plaid has had a new leader - and a bit of a bounce -,but the Welsh LibDem leader is nigh invisible - as in the Welsh Con leader.

Also Welsh Council and AM elections are not a reliable guide to a GE result. For instance the upcoming election for an AM at Ynys Mon (Anglesey) will not be a reliable guide to 2015 due to the large number of independents.

In Ceredigion, Plaid lead the Council after the last local elections, but would you suggest that Mark Williams (LD) will lose his seat in 2015?

In S.Wales, Labour has woken up and are starting to try to improve education but at the same time do daft things like buying Cardiff airport - it is likely that all Cardiff seats will go Labour.
    Plaid led Ceredigion council in 2008 also and with a 5% greater vote share than they managed in 2012 . I would agree that Cardiff Central will be close but incumbency and a squeeze on the Conservative vote should see Jenny Wilmott home .

Incidently , the Ynys Mon Welsh Assembly by election on August 1st has no Independent candidates standing at all , for someone who has on the ground knowledge from living in Wales , you do not seem to be on the ball .

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685
    The LDs will almost certainly hold Brecon and Ceredigion. Cardiff Central will be close but the LDs can't be written off there. Jenny Willott seems to be reasonably popular.
  • Options
    COMRES EdM poll

Ed Miliband does not come across as an election winner
    Agree:57; Disagree: 18; DK: 25.

The Labour Party understands the concerns of ordinary people better than the Conservatives do
    Agree: 42; Disagree: 36; DK: 22

Labour would have a better chance in the next General Election without Ed Miliband as Party leader
    Agree: 42; Disagree: 28:DK: 30

Labour can't be trusted to run the economy
    Agree: 46;Disagree: 30; DK: 24

The Labour Party would be more electable with David Miliband as its leader
    Agree:31; Disagree: 27; DK: 42

I would prefer a Labour/Liberal Democrat Coalition to a majority Labour Government
    Agree: 31; Disagree: 43; DK: 26

I would prefer a Labour/Liberal Democrat Coalition to a Conservative/Liberal Democrat Coalition
    Agree: 33; Disagree: 43;DK: 23

I expect Ed Miliband to be the next Prime Minister in 2015
    Agree: 22; Disagree: 46; DK: 32

Which of the following, if any, would be the most likely to lead the Conservative Party to win the next General Election?
    DC: 27; BJ: 19; TM: 4; WH:3; MG: 1; GO:1;PH: 1; Other: 2;
    Don't think anyone could lead the CP to win the next GE: 19;
    DK: 22.

Do you, or would you, trust each of the following politicians to see the country through the current economic situation?

GO: Yes:24;NO: 54; DK:22
    DC: Yes:36; No: 46; DK:18
    NC: Yes:17; NO: 63; DK:21
    EdM: Yes:20; No: 56; DK:24
    EdB: Yes:18; NO: 58;DK;24

• Options
    edited July 2013

This is silly partisan clap-trap which should have no place on this site.

GeoffM said:

The thing with the Coalition is @RodCrosby that as people on both sides have now seen that the LibDems are a shambolic mish-mash of perfidious two-faced double-dealing shysters so they are more likely to say Yes to that question. You might as well vote for the real thing and know (roughly) what you're getting than risk the Yellow rabble muddying the waters.

Carola said:

Not when 40% for Gove and 51% for Hunt 'don't know'.On EdM, on the other hand, only 28% of 2010 Lib Dems 'don't know', while 52% think he's doing "badly".....
  • Options

Financier said:

Financier said:

Mark:

In 2008, Ceredigion Council was led by a Independent/LD coalition (12+9) with help from 1 labour who is not really Labour. The Independent leader was defeated in 2012.
  • Options
    It's one of those irregular verbs

I genuinely care

He has another opinion

You post partisan claptrap

GeoffM said:

The thing with the Coalition is @RodCrosby that as people on both sides have now seen that the LibDems are a shambolic mish-mash of perfidious two-faced double-dealing shysters so they are more likely to say Yes to that question. You might as well vote for the real thing and know (roughly) what you're getting than risk the Yellow rabble muddying the waters.

Carola said:

Not when 40% for Gove and 51% for Hunt 'don't know'.On EdM, on the other hand, only 28% of 2010 Lib Dems 'don't know', while 52% think he's doing "badly".....
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @MarkSenior

Mark:

Incidently , the Ynys Mon Welsh Assembly by election on August 1st has no Independent candidates standing at all , for someone who has on the ground knowledge from living in Wales , you do not seem to be on the ball .

Mark: I am quite aware of that but the Council has a lot of Independent members and where that vote will go is anyone's guess.

FYI 2013 Council elections: PC12; Independents 9, Labour 3; LD 1;
    Other Independents 5.

The Council had been under administration for over a year due to political infighting, maladministration and other misdemeanors.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited July 2013
    @Financier

"Theses case are on the increase. Since when has the RSPCA had the authority to act like min-police or even the STASI - this needs reining in by the Home Sec."

If you had read the article and looked at the picture of the half dead dog being carried out on a stretcher and you understood that those who work for the RSPCA ACTUALLY care about animal welfare and if you could temper your need to regurgitate stories from the Daily Mail about their pet hate figures-however absurd-you might have avoided making such a ridiculous post.
  • Options
    Exciting news: Andrew Stephenson has been reselected for the Tories in Pendle.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    It would be interesting to divide the LD seats into categories.

Rock solid
    Safe
    Marginal
    Not a prayer

which may not coincide exactly with the numerical majorities.

For the rock-solid category I offer up:-
    Ross, Skye & Lochaber
    Orkney and Shetland
    Sheffield Hallam
    Twickenham
    Westmoreland
    Bath
    Norfolk North
    Roxburgh & Berwickshire
    Yeovil
    Leeds NW
    Colchester
    Hazel Grove
    Thornbury & Yate
    Fife NE
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    Roger said:

@Financier

"Theses case are on the increase. Since when has the RSPCA had the authority to act like min-police or even the STASI - this needs reining in by the Home Sec."

If you had read the article and looked at the picture of the half dead dog being carried out on a stretcher and you understood that those who work for the RSPCA ACTUALLY care about animal welfare and if you could temper your need to regurgitate stories from the Daily Mail about their pet hate figures-however absurd-you might have avoided making such a ridiculous post.

Are you sure you read the article? The ill dog's brother looked perfectly well cared for.

"They took away 12-year-old Puppy, which had been suffering ill health due to a spinal injury and had partly lost the use of its legs, as well as ten-year-old Little Boy, Puppy’s brother, claiming they were not being looked after properly.

But Mr Spicer, who was a vet for 30 years, said he had been treating Puppy’s illness, which he described as ‘complicated,’ himself and the dog had been improving.

He said: ‘The police decided there was no case to prosecute. I’ve heard nothing since from the RSPCA.’"
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    How could they not comprehend that its the Scots Dad's prejudices that are being sent up in this Irn Bru advert? :)

malcolmg said:

Good to see the ASA have retained their sense of humour - tho it might be one for SeanT to wind up his readers over:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/07/10/anti-english-irn-bru-advert-gets-off-scot-free-3877896/?ITO=news-sitemap

hard to believe there are 176 morons that complained about it, it was indeed funny and if they thought it was racist they need to see a shrink, suffering from sense of humour bypass.
    Funnily enough, I think its the Scottish dad who is being sent up - in much the same way that its the teenage son (and his drooling mammary obsessed mates) in this one (also complained about, also left on air):

http://youtu.be/fX_K4mNTTI8
  • Options
    @Financier

"The Labour Party understands the concerns of ordinary people better than the Conservatives do
    Agree: 42; Disagree: 36; DK: 22"

Wouldn't it be interesting for balance if the next question was:

"The Conservative Party understands the concerns of ordinary people better than the Labour Party do......................"

Because there's know way of knowing the answer from the first question alone.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. Roger, the dog on the stretcher was ill, according to the owner.

" But Mr Spicer, who was a vet for 30 years, said he had been treating Puppy’s illness, which he described as ‘complicated,’ himself and the dog had been improving.

He said: ‘The police decided there was no case to prosecute. I’ve heard nothing since from the RSPCA.’

Mr Spicer, a bachelor, added that he doesn’t know how he will live without his dogs. ‘I’ve not lived in my house without a dog for 30 years,’ he said. ‘At some stage it is going to hit me that the house is empty.’

Neighbour Mark Breeze, 47, said: ‘I’ve never seen John mistreat an animal in my life, he always looks after his dogs very well. He’s very cut up about it.’"
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    AndyJS - Disagree, I lived in Ceredigion last year in a ward where a long-serving LD county councillor lost his seat to Plaid. It should be a Plaid gain, particularly as the student vote and university vote from Aberystywth Uni will switch in a big way from the LDs over the LD's u-turn over fee rises
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS - Disagree, I lived in Ceredigion last year in a ward where a long-serving LD county councillor lost his seat to Plaid. It should be a Plaid gain, particularly as the student vote and university vote from Aberystywth Uni will switch in a big way from the LDs over the LD's u-turn over fee rises

Harry Hayfield may beg to differ.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

For safe I'd say.

Southport
    Inverness
    Lewes
    Carshalton
    Kingston & Surbiton
    Portsmouth South
    Cambridge
    North Southwark & Bermondsey
    Caithness
    Ceredigion
    Bristol West
    Cardiff Central
  • Options
    edited July 2013

@Fitilass

"How could they not comprehend that its the Scots Dad's prejudices that are being sent up in this Irn Bru advert? :)"

They're not sending up the prejudices of the Dad or the boys they're just making a joke at the expense of a stereotype which is always the last refuge of an an advertising copywriter. Here's a more sexist (and funnier) example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L11fQ6-QTIc
  • Options
  • Options
    Mr. HYUFD, careful. Harman will be along to insist that he's personning the BBQ.
  • Options
    @RodCrosby

I think Cambridge might be a harder for the LDs to defend than you think. This is a seat that in recent years has had CON, LAB and now LD MPs
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

For safe I'd say.

Southport
    Inverness
    Lewes
    Carshalton
    Kingston & Surbiton
    Portsmouth South
    Cambridge
    Caithness
    Ceredigion
    Bristol West
    Cardiff Central
    I agree with you but of course it's Sod's Law that they'll lose at least one of those.

Last time it was Montgomeryshire and Oxford West.
  • Options
    George Galloway Making a doc, 'The Killing of Tony Blair', according to George 'it's about how Blair killed firstly the Labour Party then hundreds of thousands innocents. And made a killing out of both'
    https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/358436130389106688
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Financier said:

A retired vet woke to find a police torch being shone into his face when officers raided his home after the RSPCA received a tip-off that his two pet dogs were being maltreated...

Theses case are on the increase. Since when has the RSPCA had the authority to act like min-police or even the STASI - this needs reining in by the Home Sec.

Can't comment on the specific case, but the police have relied on the RSPCA for ages for animal treatment interventions, with explicit legal authority. The argument, which is surely correct in theory, is that the RSPCA inspectors will have more expertise than the average copper on when an animal is being maltreated and when it's just naturally thin or whatever (like a greyhound, for instance).

Like the police in everyday cases, the inspectors will sometimes get it wrong, but that's not a reason to condemn the whole system. As with social workers removing children who they believe are being mistreated, the RSPCA is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't, but it's hard to see a better way of tackling alleged cruelty. There are people who don't like the RSPCA for other reasons (that they're anti-hunting, or conversely that they aren't liberationist enough) but the inspectorate on the whole does a good job which the police would really struggle with.

• Options
    Morris Dancer - Yes, sorry he is 'personning' the BBQ to produce some 'gender neutral' sized veggie burgers and tofu sausages
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

For safe I'd say.

Southport
    Inverness
    Lewes
    Carshalton
    Kingston & Surbiton
    Portsmouth South
    Cambridge
    Caithness
    Ceredigion
    Bristol West
    Cardiff Central
    I think Orkney & Shetland has to be added to that list too.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    AndyJS - Well, Harry Hayfield is a LD councillor so hardly objective. In the 2012 Council elections Plaid won 19 seats, unchanged, and the LDs won 7 seats, down 3, as I said a probable Plain gain!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceredigion_County_Council_election,_2012
  • Options
    Marginals
    Edinburgh West
    Berwick on Tweed
    Eastbourne
    Mid-Dorset
    Taunton Deane
    Gordon
    Sutton & Cheam
    Solihull
    Cheadle
    Eastleigh
    Hornsey & Wood Green
    St Ives
    St Austell & Newquay
    Chippenham
    North Devon
    Somerton & Frome
    Birmingham Yardley
    Brecon & Radnor
    Argyll & Bute
    Wells
    North Cornwall
    Torbay
    West Aberdeenshire
    Redcar
    Brent Central
    Bradford East
    North Cornwall

and "Not a prayer"
    Norwich South
    Withington
    Burnley
    East Dunbartonshire
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    RodCrosby said:

Rock solid
    Safe
    Marginal
    Not a prayer

which may not coincide exactly with the numerical majorities.

For the rock-solid category I offer up:-
    Ross, Skye & Lochaber
    Orkney and Shetland
    Sheffield Hallam
    Twickenham
    Westmoreland
    Bath
    Norfolk North
    Roxburgh & Berwickshire
    Yeovil
    Leeds NW
    Colchester
    Hazel Grove
    Thornbury & Yate
    Fife NE

I've been wondering for months why Ladbrokes are offering 1/3 on LDs holding Sheffield Hallam. Max bet £150.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

For safe I'd say.

Southport
    Inverness
    Lewes
    Carshalton
    Kingston & Surbiton
    Portsmouth South
    Cambridge
    Caithness
    Ceredigion
    Bristol West
    Cardiff Central
    I think Orkney & Shetland has to be added to that list too.
    Sorry saw you have that, rightly, as rock solid!
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

GeoffM said:

Carola said:

Brilliant post Carlotta,the double standards laughable ;-)

• Options
    Daily Mail has also picked up on this as well today.
    The Daily Mail Comment - Hacking, hypocrisy and a flawed inquiry

The Sun picks up the Indie front page splash on the hacking that went unpunished under New Labour:

"MPs slammed Britain’s FBI yesterday after it claimed publishing a list of law firms, insurance companies and big businesses involved in hacking would breach human rights."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/5024009/Fury-as-cops-keep-big-firm-hackers-a-secret.html#ixzz2ZZWBTojp

Will Ed call for a "Judge led Enquiry"?

• Options
    edited July 2013
    So if the LDs
    hold all the rock solid
    hold 80% of the safe
    lose 80% of the marginals
    and lose all of the "not a prayer", which I think is the worst case scenario.

I make that 28 seats lost, reducing them to 29.

A more reasonable calculation might be hold 90% of the safe and lose 50% of the marginals, which brings them to 19 losses and 38 holds.

I suspect they will do slightly better than that on the day...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS - Well, Harry Hayfield is a LD councillor so hardly objective. In the 2012 Council elections Plaid won 19 seats and 43.8% of the vote in Ceredigion, the LDs 23.9% and 7 seats, as I said, probable Plaid gain!

The correct vote shares in 2012 were

Plaid 38.85% down from 43.2% in 2008
    Lib Dem 24.97% up from 24.3% in 2008

Plaid fought 6 more wards than the Lib Dems in both 2008 and 2012
  • Options
    @WilliamGlen

"He said: ‘The police decided there was no case to prosecute. I’ve heard nothing since from the RSPCA.’"

...And from the article;

'Yesterday an RSPCA spokesman refused to say whether Mr Spicer would face prosecution as the investigation is ongoing.'

Don't confuse the Mail spin (ie the arrested man who says 'there will be no prosecution') and the actual story which as with all Mail hate stories you have to find by reading between the lines and using a tiny bit of common sense.

• Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

Roger said:

@Financier

Are you sure you read the article? The ill dog's brother looked perfectly well cared for.

"They took away 12-year-old Puppy, which had been suffering ill health due to a spinal injury and had partly lost the use of its legs, as well as ten-year-old Little Boy, Puppy’s brother, claiming they were not being looked after properly.

But Mr Spicer, who was a vet for 30 years, said he had been treating Puppy’s illness, which he described as ‘complicated,’ himself and the dog had been improving.

He said: ‘The police decided there was no case to prosecute. I’ve heard nothing since from the RSPCA.’"
    The indignation in the article is clearly aimed at the dawn raid and so on - with the clear suggestion made that there was no justification for doing so. However on the basis of the treatment of the ill dog, that is far from clear.
  • Options
    @AndyJs

"I agree with you but of course it's Sod's Law that they'll lose at least one of those."

Inverness we all hope
  • Options
    Rod - Safe? Lewes too will probably go Tory as the Tories now control the council, as could Portsmouth South given Hancock's recent problems. Kingston could even go, Davey only won it by 56 in 1997 when the Tory v LD gap was much smaller than now, as could Carshalton which was Tory until 1997. Cambridge will probably go back to Labour as will Bristol West and Cardiff Central too. Caithness and Inverness could well go SNP.
    Of the seats you give I would say only Southport and Southwark were 'safe' and Labour will likely put up a good performance against Hughes!
  • Options
    Ed Miliband's strategic indecisiveness is indeed reminiscent of Gordon Brown, and I suspect the Shadow Cabinet are as aware of this weakness in their present leader as they were when it came to his predecessor. You have to wonder if its really any surprise that this Brownite trait appears to effect both Ed Miliband and Ed Balls after the years they spent in his Shadow?
    IIRC, Harriet Harman was quite critical of Ed Miliband's lack of progress in putting together the Labour manifesto before the last GE, so he definitely has previous form for this kind of behaviour.

"But part of it is blamed on Miliband himself. One figure close to the top reports that the leader "consults everyone but listens to no one", complaining of a strategic indecisiveness reminiscent of Gordon Brown....

Miliband acts as if a single speech were enough to shut down a problem when, as Blair understood, no message even begins to penetrate until it has been repeated a thousand times."

Daily Telegraph
    Daily Mail
    Sun
    Times
    Daily Express

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jul/19/summer-labour-tories-hog-fuelled?CMP=twt_gu

• Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS - Well, Harry Hayfield is a LD councillor so hardly objective. In the 2012 Council elections Plaid won 19 seats, unchanged, and the LDs won 7 seats, down 3, as I said a probable Plain gain!

Harry Hayfield is a highly respected headline writer on PB. I'm amazed that you stoop to question his objectivity.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Rod - Safe? Lewes too will probably go Tory as the Tories now control the council, as could Portsmouth South given Hancock's recent problems. Kingston could even go, Davey only won it by 56 in 1997 when the Tory v LD gap was much smaller than now, as could Carshalton which was Tory until 1997. Cambridge will probably go back to Labour as will Bristol West and Cardiff Central too. Caithness and Inverness could well go SNP.
    Of the seats you give I would say only Southport and Southwark were 'safe' and Labour will likely put up a good performance against Hughes!

The Conservatives may now control Lewes DC but their seats are mostly not in Lewes Parliamentary constituency , they are in Brighton Kemptown . Carshalton was of course a certain Conservative gain in 2005 - where are you Rik ?

• Options
    HYUFD said:

I know, any one or more of those things could happen, but the title of the thread is incumbency, and that is the LDs secret weapon!

Are we completely ruling out any LD gain? If so, it would - with the exception of 1970 - be the first time since 1955 that they would not score a gain...
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be fantastic if England could set Australia 600 to win in two days.

That's only 3.3 runs an over, you know.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    Grandiose said:

Roger said:

@Financier

The indignation in the article is clearly aimed at the dawn raid and so on - with the clear suggestion made that there was no justification for doing so. However on the basis of the treatment of the ill dog, that is far from clear.
    How is it far from clear that the dawn raid was unjustified? There are photos showing one healthy looking dog, and one very sick dog so unless the man is being accused of singling out one dog for sadistic abuse, the root cause of any suffering was the dog's ill health. You could argue that it was cruel to keep the dog alive but surely that is no justification for a dawn raid.

The RSPCA certainly didn't hesitate to put the dog on their equivalent of the NHS Pathway. Thankfully we're not yet at the stage were people are subjected to dawn raids for attempting to prolong the life of sick elderly relatives at home.
  • Options
    RodCrosby - To put things in perspective Anthony Wells' poll average presently gives a LD to Labour swing of 11%, so any LD seat with a majority of 22% or less over Labour is vulnerable, including Cambridge, Bristol West and Cardiff Central.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    HYUFD said:

RodCrosby - To put things in perspective Anthony Wells' poll average presently gives a LD to Labour swing of 11%, so any LD seat with a majority of 22% or less over Labour is vulnerable, including Cambridge, Bristol West and Cardiff Central.

True, the key words being "presently" and "vulnerable"...
  • Options
    Against the Tories there is less swing, but still a LD to Tory swing of 4% since the election so any LD majority of 8% or less is vulnerable. Of course, were the Tories to eat into the UKIP score and get back to level-pegging with Labour or even approach a majority, scores of LD seats could go. Last week, poll showed virtually all LD rural seats in Scotland falling to the SNP, except Orkney. Indeed, a poll earlier this year showed a LD to SNP swing of 14% meaning any LD seat with a majority of 28% or less over the SNP is at risk, including Caithness and Inverness
    http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-news/in-brief/6511-poll-of-polls-shows-snp-ahead-of-labour-for-westminster
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    Grandiose said:

Roger said:

@Financier

still well over the top, two of them could have turned up at a reasonable time and investigated, pathetic waste of public money all round. If it had been a burglary or similar they still not have arrived yet.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Mark Senior, but the LDs fought more wards relative to 2008 in 2012 than Plaid who were unchanged, hence the rise in LD vote share. Ceredigion is notoriously unpredictable, it was Plaid from 1992-2001, and LD from 2005-2010. If Plaid can eat into the student and university vote on a higher turnout at the general election relative to the local election anything can happen!
  • Options
    AndyJS - Well of course he can be objective, but as a LD councillor talking about his own patch he is bound to talk-up LD chances isn't he!
  • Options

@RodCrosby

I think Cambridge might be a harder for the LDs to defend than you think. This is a seat that in recent years has had CON, LAB and now LD MPs

Yes, but they have a pleasant-enough first time incumbent LD, who should add a few votes to his total. And Cambridge backed AV... Labour are in third place... Slightly safer than on paper, I'd guess.
  • Options
    RodCrosby - Indeed, so they are really marginals
  • Options
    Purna Sen selected for Labour in Brighton Pavilion:

http://www.purnasen.org.uk/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mark Senior, but the LDs fought more wards relative to 2008 in 2012 than Plaid who were unchanged, hence the rise in LD vote share. Ceredigion is notoriously unpredictable, it was Plaid from 1992-2001, and LD from 2005-2010. If Plaid can eat into the student and university vote on a higher turnout at the general election relative to the local election anything can happen!

Nope . Plaid fought 6 wards more than the Lib Dems in both 2008 and 2012 though of course the wards both parties fought were not all the same in both years . Of course anything can happen but I would still rather put money on a Lib Dem hold than a Plaid gain .

• Options
    Richard Frediani @FredianiITV
    So sad @KathyLette: R.I.P. Mel Smith. Sorry to bring sad and bad news, but apparently he died from heart attack in his sleep.”
  • Options
    @RodCrosby
    One big potential gain is where I used to live Oxford W & Abingdon.

The big test is the organisational capabilities of the LDs in the area & in Oxwab they are riding high after taking a big council by-election seat from the Tories a fortnight ago.

St Albans also looks promising.

There will be so few target seats because the primary focus will be on retaining what they have.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

@RodCrosby

The big test is the organisational capabilities of the LDs in the area & in Oxwab they are riding high after taking a big council by-election seat from the Tories a fortnight ago.

There will be so few target seats because the primary focus will be on retaining what they have.

Yes, there's about a half-dozen Con/LD battles with sub 1000 votes between them... One or two surprises cannot be ruled out, I guess.
  • Options
  • Options
    Mark Senior - What I said was the LDs put up a few more candidates in 2012 than they did in 2008 while Plaid put up the same number of candidates in both elections, hence the rise in LD vote share. Ceredigion is very unpredictable, as I said Plaid gained it from the LDs in 1992, the LDs won it from Plaid in 2005 and anything could happen in 2015, I would not put money it but would certainly not rule out a Plaid gain!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

@RodCrosby

And presumably this time the Oxford LibDems will be concentrating on getting Oxford West back, rather than getting greedy and spreading themselves too thin trying to snaffle Oxford East off Labour as well.
  • Options
    Plato - sorry to hear the news about Mel Smith
  • Options
    The countdown to the GE has begun. :)
    BBC - Election countdown: 94 weeks to go
  • Options
    fitalass said:

The countdown to the GE has begun. :)
    BBC - Election countdown: 94 weeks to go

Since I mentioned it was 95 weeks last week, not all surprising.

(Sorry about the silly posts, I've had a few drinks at lunchtime, which is unusual for me, to celebrate England's performance at Lords).

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Still unconfirmed Twitter rumour and reversed Wikipedia edit.....IIRC, Twitter killed off Rowan Atkinson last year....so lets hope Mel's as dead as Rowan....

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Mark Senior - What I said was the LDs put up a few more candidates in 2012 than they did in 2008 while Plaid put up the same number of candidates in both elections, hence the rise in LD vote share. Ceredigion is very unpredictable, as I said Plaid gained it from the LDs in 1992, the LDs won it from Plaid in 2005 and anything could happen in 2015, I would not put money it but would certainly not rule out a Plaid gain!

I know that is what you said but it is wrong . Plaid fought 33 wards in both 2008 and 2012 and the Lib Dems 27 in both years .

• Options
    Really sad to hear the news about Mel Smith.

I remember when he appeared on Mastermind a couple of years ago and seemed to be suffering from a serious illness.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

HYUFD said:

Still unconfirmed Twitter rumour and reversed Wikipedia edit.....IIRC, Twitter killed off Rowan Atkinson last year....so lets hope Mel's as dead as Rowan....

Looks like a hoax, from a new IP address.
    Nothing from mainstream sources...
  • Options
    A beautiful situation for Bell to take advantage of at Lords.
  • Options
    20 questions to test your compatibility with the Quran
    I got a surprising 81%
    http://www.areyoumuslim.com/
  • Options
    The LDs best bets in 2015 are probably Oxford West, Truro&Falmouth and Camborne&Redruth. The latter in particular is rather working-class for a Tory seat.
  • Options
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited July 2013
    Purna Sen selected by Labour for Brighton Pavilion

Edit: I've been beaten.

She was the obvious choice given the shortlist (and the applicants). Carlotta already posted the link about one of the competitors. The third shortlisted woman was a former Tory from Ealing

Ah, I forgot it earlier. We have Lancaster and Fleetwood selection today today. Unite is backing Cath Smith. In this case, she's probably a real left winger...given the MPs she worked for.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Purna Sen selected by Labour for Brighton Pavilion

Edit: I've been beaten

We also have Battersea and Erewash coming up later today. Both are currently held by youngish female Tory MPs.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Frankie Boyle..who he? .. seems like a desperate attempt at self publicity.
  • Options
    David Herdson avers that the LDs have a higher activist base than UKIP but I was given to understand that the purples are catching up rather rapidly with Clegg's party in terms of membership numbers.
  • Options
    Mel Smith: Confirmed by beeb
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23390982
  • Options
    Mr. Pubgoer, I particularly liked how they put together freedom of speech and religion together.

*cough*Danishcartoons*cough*

I was 58%, which is balderdash.
  • Options
    Just noticed I put down North Cornwall twice on the marginals list.
    One of them should of course be... Cheltenham!
  • Options
    Indeed MD Quite how it compares with the 'Free speech can go to hell' placards that you see.

Mr. Pubgoer, I particularly liked how they put together freedom of speech and religion together.

*cough*Danishcartoons*cough*

I was 58%, which is balderdash.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Will there by "semi targets"?
    I mean all those Lab seats where LD came relatively close in 2005-10 but failed to gain. It's not that they will aim at win them in 2015. But what's important from a LD point of view is not falling behind too much. Losing by 15% and so being ready to be competitive once Labour become unpopular nationally once again rather than having to start totally from the start 25% behind.

In some of them they didn't collapse at local level in 2011-13 (Ashfield, Hull North, Durham City).

In some cases it will be easier to devote resources at them because there aren't real targets or defences near.

@RodCrosby

• Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,823
    Andy_JS said:

The LDs best bets in 2015 are probably Oxford West, Truro&Falmouth and Camborne&Redruth. The latter in particular is rather working-class for a Tory seat.

Winchester or Watford?
  • Options
    Very sad to hear of Mel Smith's death. Not The Nine O'Clock News is a fantastic sketch show.
  • Options
    Will Martindale will be Labour candidate in Battarsea

http://www.willtowin.org.uk/
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Ed Miliband live on Test Match Special now.

In fact, a quite bizarre discussion between Ed and Geoff Boycott on the merits of Roger Federer's tennis abilities is taking place in the commentary box...
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Will there by "semi targets"?
    I mean all those Lab seats where LD came relatively close in 2005-10 but failed to gain. It's not that they will aim at win them in 2015. But what's important from a LD point of view is not falling behind too much. Losing by 15% and so being ready to be competitive once Labour become unpopular nationally once again rather than having to start totally from the start 25% behind.

@RodCrosby

I suppose there will be a fair few seats that aren't close enough to any seat they might actually win to be able to ship the activists over there, so they may as well compete in those.

But once thing I think this thread is missing is that there's a real possibility of a complete, cataclysmic wipe-out. I know they just managed to hold on in Eastleigh, but a lot of their incumbency advantage probably comes from people thinking they're basically pretty decent. If half their former voters now think they're shit, and the other half still like them but are generally unenthused about the whole thing, they are not going to have a happy election. They don't have the luxury of dreaming about theoretical pick-ups in 2020; They need to optimize for the maxi-minibus outcome in 2015.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The best thing(s) about Test Match Special by far are the strangled cackles coming from the back of the commentary box as Boycott recounts his aged anecdotes.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    I'm 75% Muslim, apparently. It's quite a good de-mystifying survey, but it avoids some of the rather basic questions like "Do you think there is a god of any kind?" It's more of a test of whether you share a range of general attitudes with Muslims.
  • Options
    Further analysis of the LD marginals list.

First time incumbents (may be harder to shift than on paper).
    Edinburgh West
    Eastbourne
    Wells
    Eastleigh
    St Austell & Newquay
    Chippenham
    Redcar
    Bradford East

No clear challenger
    Argyll & Bute
This discussion has been closed.