Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Unite’s election could be a game changer for Corbyn

13»

Comments

• Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    nunu said:

Yorkcity said:

nunu said:

Even Vince Cable is calling for an end to free movement. Corbyn is looking crazy on this issue now.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/01/why-its-time-end-eu-free-movement

Has Nicola Sturgeon and Tim Farron ?
    Scotland has hardly any e.u migration compared to England and her only policy is to be as different to England as she can get away with to reach her ends of leaving the U.K, and Farron is only aiming to gain seats where there are large number of posh Remoaners. Neither are aiming to become PM like Corbyn.
    You think Corbyn is aiming to be PM?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RobD said:

RobD said:

What's going on here?

Inch by inch we're moving to an understanding that the objectives of Brexit can be delivered for England and Wales only.
    We are?
    Well you're enjoying the California sunshine, but the British political class over here is inching forwards.
    Thanks to the internet, geographic location is no longer a constraint on keeping up with things!
    What's the weather over there at the moment? In town next week (are you free for a drink?).
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Charles said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

What's going on here?

Inch by inch we're moving to an understanding that the objectives of Brexit can be delivered for England and Wales only.
    We are?
    Well you're enjoying the California sunshine, but the British political class over here is inching forwards.
    Thanks to the internet, geographic location is no longer a constraint on keeping up with things!
    What's the weather over there at the moment? In town next week (are you free for a drink?).
    Sunny now, but was raining/dull for quite an extended period earlier this week. Out of town next week actually.. in our profession our job interviews are convoluted and extended affairs, so I'm spending the week in Chicago trying to impress a prospective employer!
  • Options
    RobD said:

What's going on here?

We are?
    That's the royal "we" dontcha know
  • Options

RobD said:

What's going on here?

We are?
    That's the royal "we" dontcha know
    Ah, we understand :p
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited January 2017
    RobD said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

What's going on here?

We are?
    Sunny now, but was raining/dull for quite an extended period earlier this week. Out of town next week actually.. in our profession our job interviews are convoluted and extended affairs, so I'm spending the week in Chicago trying to impress a prospective employer!
    You always find an excuse... last time it was a short notice trip to Chile ;)
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    HYUFD said:

BudG said:

HYUFD said:

BudG said:

HYUFD said:

BudG said:

Have we seen the latest French Presidential opinion poll out today?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_French_presidential_election,_2017

Macron would appear to have some momentum, compared to results from same polling company about 6 weeks ago. Was previously polling mid teens, is now polling high teens to early 20's.

Fillon, on the other hand appears to be slipping back a little. In their previous poll he was polling 30-31 and now he is generally mid twenties in most of the various scenarios.

Fillon is on 23% with Bayrou as a candidate and 26% without him as a candidate with Valls as PS candidate, Le Pen on 22% and 23% respectively.
    Agree that Valls getting through and Bayrou running is the worst case scenario for Macron, but even then he is up two points from the previous poll by the same company. So he at least has some upward momentum. Fillon, however, has dropped 8 points from 31 to 23 in that same scenario.

The gap between Fillon and Macron has closed by 10 points in six weeks. So i would say that the momentum is definitely with Macron and against Fillon. If Bayrou decides not to run or if Valls slips up in the Primary, it will start looking rather tight.
    Macron's only chance of getting into round 2 in my view is if Valls loses the primary, so you are right on that but Valls leads the polls for the PS contest at the moment and the primary is just a few weeks away. If Valls does lose the primary and Macron makes it through to round 2 he would have a chance of beating Fillon as the candidate of the centre and left if it is a Macron v Fillon race. However he would also be easier for Le Pen to beat than Fillon as she would then be the candidate of the right and he would be the candidate of the centre left, so a Macron v Le Pen race makes a Le Pen presidency more likely (albeit not quite as likely as a Valls v Le Pen or Melenchon v Le Pen race)
    I reckon if Fillon keeps hemorrhaging support the way he has done in the past month or so, it won't matter if Valls is in it or not. But we shall see.
    Fillon is still over 20% in every scenario in that poll, without Valls Macron is below 20%, plus Valls will likely get a small bounce once he becomes candidate
    He was 30% or over in every scenario in the previous poll. The election itself is 4-5 months away and I am sure there will be many twists and turns before then, but Fillons momentum at the moment is going southwards rapidly, I am sure there will be a floor to his support, but not sure where that floor is.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

What's going on here?

Yes, sounds as if Vince is being scheming and divisive - using Brexit as a tool to destroy the UK and humiliate and marginalize England. What a devious anti-English rotter!
    The latest Opinium had Scotland and England backing soft Brexit but Wales backing hard Brexit
    and how were "hard" and "soft" defined? Some PBers just love nice generalisations with which to prod sensible folk like me
  • Options
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

What's going on here?

We are?
    You always find an excuse... last time it was a short notice trip to Chile ;)
    Sorry old boy, you know how it is! Saying that, if drinks came with a tenured job offer I'd be down... :D
  • Options

HYUFD said:

What's going on here?

Yes, sounds as if Vince is being scheming and divisive - using Brexit as a tool to destroy the UK and humiliate and marginalize England. What a devious anti-English rotter!
    The latest Opinium had Scotland and England backing soft Brexit but Wales backing hard Brexit
    and how were "hard" and "soft" defined? Some PBers just love nice generalisations with which to prod sensible folk like me
    Perhaps we can clarify it by using the Moh scale for hardness:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Good evening, everyone.

I'm finding Mr Brind's thread leader article a bit hard to decipher. He quotes Mr McCluskey thus:

“Let’s suppose we are not having a snap election. It buys into this question of what happens if we get to 2019 and opinion polls are still awful.The truth is everybody would examine that situation, including Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell …. These two are not egomaniacs, they are not desperate to cling on to power for power’s sake.”

And the article ends by saying If McCluskey, Abbott and Livingstone are worried Corbyn should be too.

This seems to suggest that Messrs Corbyn and McDonnell have the same objectives as Ms Abbott & Messrs McCluskey & Livingstone.

There are at least two different levels of 'power' here. From what I've read, Messrs Corbyn & McDonnell have a definite objective in retaining power over the Labour party, which may well supersede their desire for power over the country.

The other three may well be more focussed on the objective of electing a Labour government as soon as possible.

Mr Corbyn has the membership to back him up. I don't see him going anywhere until he's achieved his ends with the Labour party. Grasping at power over the UK can wait until he knows the party will carry on in his own political image. Time enough to set up an electable leader then.

I think your last para sounds spot on - as Blind Pew might have put it
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    BudG said:

HYUFD said:

BudG said:

HYUFD said:

BudG said:

HYUFD said:

BudG said:

Have we seen the latest French Presidential opinion poll out today?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_French_presidential_election,_2017

Macron would appear to have some momentum, compared to results from same polling company about 6 weeks ago. Was previously polling mid teens, is now polling high teens to early 20's.

Fillon, on the other hand appears to be slipping back a little. In their previous poll he was polling 30-31 and now he is generally mid twenties in most of the various scenarios.

Fillon is on 23% with Bayrou as a candidate and 26% without him as a candidate with Valls as PS candidate, Le Pen on 22% and 23% respectively.
    Agree that Valls getting through and Bayrou running is the worst case scenario for Macron, but even then he is up two points from the previous poll by the same company. So he at least has some upward momentum. Fillon, however, has dropped 8 points from 31 to 23 in that same scenario.

The gap between Fillon and Macron has closed by 10 points in six weeks. So i would say that the momentum is definitely with Macron and against Fillon. If Bayrou decides not to run or if Valls slips up in the Primary, it will start looking rather tight.
    Macron's only chance of getting into round 2 in my view is if Valls loses the primary, so you are right on that but Valls)
    I reckon if Fillon keeps hemorrhaging support the way he has done in the past month or so, it won't matter if Valls is in it or not. But we shall see.
    Fillon is still over 20% in every scenario in that poll, without Valls Macron is below 20%, plus Valls will likely get a small bounce once he becomes candidate
    He was 30% or over in every scenario in the previous poll. The election itself is 4-5 months away and I am sure there will be many twists and turns before then, but Fillons momentum at the moment is going southwards rapidly, I am sure there will be a floor to his support, but not sure where that floor is.
    Before he won the nomination a November poll had him on 20% and a September poll had him on 18.5% so this is more a reversion to his previous position. Le Pen was on 29% and 33% respectively so if Fillon falls any more it will likely boost her
  • Options

HYUFD said:

What's going on here?

Basically how willing were they to see an economic slowdown if immigration was controlled
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What's going on here?

Basically how willing were they to see an economic slowdown if immigration was controlled
    If you define economic growth in terms of GDP/capita then it's barely moved for the best part of a decade now due to population increases.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What's going on here?

So where were the crossovers? Were no other issues deemed pertinent to softness or hardness?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What's going on here?

So where were the crossovers? Were no other issues deemed pertinent to softness or hardness?
    Details here https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/810129774463111168
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,784

Notice the RMT have accepted an offer from Chris Grayling of direct talks. Seems a sensible move but think it may have been the PM who pushed Grayling who seems too laid back on the issue of Southern trains

RMT and Aslef are great for their members, but really should be presumed to be acting irresponsibly as regards the greater good. Some of their members take a pretty dim view and positively avoid any involvement. However as they're pretty much a closed shop that can be difficult.

The trains that everyone wants is a great and exciting goal. The trains that government can deliver is perhaps even more exciting. The trains according to the unions are essentially no trains. Quite how it comes about that the unions whose membership is massively pro-trains finishes up being so anti escapes me.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What's going on here?

If you define economic growth in terms of GDP/capita then it's barely moved for the best part of a decade now due to population increases.
    Though barely moved is still better than moved downwards I suppose
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

What's going on here?

Perhaps we can clarify it by using the Moh scale for hardness:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness
    Will Brexit be subject to reviews on YouTube where people try to scratch it, burn it, blend it and take it apart to see how hard it is?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What's going on here?

Though barely moved is still better than moved downwards I suppose
    And a technical recession is very technical indeed, if the population reduces at the same time. It's quite possible to see a dip in GDP but a rise in GDP/capita. Most people won't see that as a recession.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What's going on here?

The default metric should always be gdp per cap. I mean would you rather be born to an average chinese family or an average Norwegian one ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What's going on here?

So that's a majority in favour of free movement and the ECJ. May is going to crash and burn.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What's going on here?

A pretty dishonest poll altogether given that the definitions of both soft and hard Brexit used are a matter of opinion and ignore other viable options.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What's going on here?

With such a leading question it's remarkable that as many backed hard Brexit as that. Supporters of hard Brexit argue that it will lead to more money to fund "services like housing, schools and hospitals" even if it won't be the full £350mn nominally named.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What's going on here?

So that's a majority in favour of free movement and the ECJ. May is going to crash and burn.
    No it's not. It's 41% in favour when the alternative is defined as "the economy suffers"

Despite once already having "if you vote Brexit the economy will suffer" been demonstrated as wrong.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited January 2017
    Betting Post!

This came to my attention:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/labour-tory-candidates-for-copeland-by-election-2017-1

Looks like Labour are running on local issues particularly the running down of the Cumbrian NHS and a useful summary of the possible candidates. Not sure the source of it all but seems credible.

Labour 2.58 on Betfair exchange looks reasonable value.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What's going on here?

Since when was 41% a majority? 47% of Tory voters back hard Brexit, 34% soft Brexit. Most likely though May does something in between, some immigration controls and some budget contributions
    https://twitter.com/keiranpedley/status/810116884850941953
  • Options
    Who wrote those descriptions, Nick Clegg? So we no longer pay 0.6% of GDP to the EU but still come out worse off. Right, okay.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What's going on here?

and I thought we didn't know what the deal would be. I'm shocked no one came clean earlier
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What's going on here?

No it's not. It's 41% in favour when the alternative is defined as "the economy suffers"

Despite once already having "if you vote Brexit the economy will suffer" been demonstrated as wrong.
    Anyone who thinks that hard Brexit will be without impact on the economy is on stronger drugs than the NHS can provide.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Vote Labour but not for Corbyn?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/labour-chiefs-tell-voters-ignore-9570679

Copeland Labourites not keen on the dear leader.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,862
    No chance Soft BREXIT on 41% if definition includes open borders IMO

As for LAB in Copeland very happy with my 2.74 average on LAB win.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What's going on here?

Anyone who thinks that hard Brexit will be without impact on the economy is on stronger drugs than the NHS can provide.
    That's what was said about an EU Brexit vote.

There is the possibility of the EU reaching a deal that allows the UK to control migration and doesn't see the economy suffer. That doesn't fall in either of those deluded options.

There is also the possibility that we don't reach a deal and the economy doesn't suffer.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Since when was 41% a majority?

When the other option only gets 35%. People don't want to take any economic hit at all, and think that any politician who can't make Brexit happen without smooth economic sailing is incompetent. Something has to break.
  • Options

There is also the possibility that we don't reach a deal and the economy doesn't suffer.

There really isn't. The fact that politically engaged, relatively sane people can think so is why were are about to be crushed by the weight of the accumulated Brexit bull.
  • Options
    Would anyone here support a fund to help the ECJ if its existence was in doubt?
  • Options
    edited January 2017

HYUFD said:

When the other option only gets 35%. People don't want to take any economic hit at all, and think that any politician who can't make Brexit happen without smooth economic sailing is incompetent. Something has to break.
    Given the voters of the governing party back hard Brexit by a 13% margin May is obviously not going to do soft Brexit and lose over half her voters to UKIP. So as I said it will most likely be a middle ground between the two ie some budget contributions and some immigration controls eg based on a job offer rather than a points system for some form of trade deal
  • Options
    Omnium said:

You mean pay their tax bill?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    That loaded Opinium question is comedy gold.

As a slight aside, the editor of Le Parisien has decided that her newspaper will not fund any polling for the French election following the dismal efforts of UK and US pollsters. She may have said something along the lines of, "Polling? C'est bollocks". Or maybe not.
  • Options

There really isn't. The fact that politically engaged, relatively sane people can think so is why were are about to be crushed by the weight of the accumulated Brexit bull.
    There really is. Just because you keep shouting that the sky is falling ever louder doesn't mean that it will.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Given the voters of the governing party back hard Brexit by a 13% margin May is obviously not going to do soft Brexit and lose over half her voters to UKIP. So as I said it will most likely be a middle ground between the two ie some budget contributions and some immigration controls eg based on a job offer rather than a points system for some form of trade deal
    You're under the illusion that May is a chooser and not a beggar. The Brexiteers are mendacious mendicants.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You're under the illusion that May is a chooser and not a beggar. The Brexiteers are mendacious mendicants.
    May wants to win the next election and hold her party together so as I said it will be a middle ground between the two in terms of what she offers
  • Options

Omnium said:

You mean pay their tax bill?
    No just pay say 1p to save them from oblivion.

I see nothing helpful in what they do, and I wouldn't rescue them if it came to that.

If nobody would stump up to help them in bad times then surely it suggests that they're a waste of space.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

May wants to win the next election and hold her party together so as I said it will be a middle ground between the two in terms of what she offers
    Every Prime Minister wants to win the next election. That is hardly a guarantee of success.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

the market in crystal balls (imported ones anyway) is obviously price insensitive since they are making ever wider and more frequent appearances in the possession of some PBers. Yet more evidence that ....... [add your own conclusion as I don't have the balls]
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,454

A view you offer no support for other than the fact that you really, really think it.
  • Options

People don't want to take any economic hit at all,

They said that about austerity.

Some grumbled about some things. Then they got on with it.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

As a slight aside, the editor of Le Parisien has decided that her newspaper will not fund any polling for the French election following the dismal efforts of UK and US pollsters. She may have said something along the lines of, "Polling? C'est bollocks". Or maybe not.

oh I do hope she did!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

who's a clever boy then?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

You seem to believe you have uncovered a brilliant analogy between Brexit and austerity. You haven't, except in the sense that austerity increased the debt, and Brexit will increase our engagement with Europe.
  • Options
    I feel it is an appropriate moment to post this again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Fuck me I'm bored of Brexit

Can we not just take the diehard Remainers and put them in a deep freeze for three years, as the govt gets on with this tedious but necessary task and we end up with the fudge we all expect?

YAWN

Yes, then the diehard Leavers can join them in complaining too and the rest of us can just get on with it
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Every Prime Minister wants to win the next election. That is hardly a guarantee of success.
    Well for a PM it is as if they lose that election they are then out of a job
  • Options

chestnut said:

You seem to believe you have uncovered a brilliant analogy between Brexit and austerity. You haven't, except in the sense that austerity increased the debt, and Brexit will increase our engagement with Europe.
    Under the governments austerity programme the debt rose, but it almost certainly rose less rapidly that it would have done so otherwise. To suggest otherwise is simply wild conjecture.
  • Options

It's the shrill hysteria of the opponents of both that brings the two together.

People adapt. Businesses adapt. Markets adapt. In all situations, some people win, some lose.

Balanced assessment would recognise that. That seems sadly lacking where you're concerned. You've gone the full Private Fraser, all day, every day.

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    SeanT said:

Can we not just take the diehard Remainers and put them in a deep freeze for three years, as the govt gets on with this tedious but necessary task and we end up with the fudge we all expect?

YAWN

Sorry mate. You are going to get a lot more of it. This is the dominant UK political issue of the moment and will be until at least the extraction deal is done.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

No chance Soft BREXIT on 41% if definition includes open borders IMO

As for LAB in Copeland very happy with my 2.74 average on LAB win.

Market is 50 shades of wrong for that one :)
  • Options
    RobD said:

I feel it is an appropriate moment to post this again

You should have posted the 'things don't just happen because Prime Ministers are keen on them' clip.
  • Options
    May to visit Trump in February then Trump to stay at Windsor Castle with the Queen in the Spring.

Think Nigel may have had a problem arranging the visit with HM

When is Angela to visit Trump - does anyone know out of interest
  • Options

SeanT said:

YAWN

Sorry mate. You are going to get a lot more of it. This is the dominant UK political issue of the moment and will be until at least the extraction deal is done.

The recriminations and purges will go on longer still.

Like Stalin's 5 year plans it will be declared a success on top of a pile of political corpses.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2017
    SeanT said:

YAWN

I am seriously thinking of retiring (from PB) because of Brexit. I already log on far less.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What's going on here?

41% is a plurality
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    chestnut said:

You mean you didn't like the finding. If you are making such an assertion than some analysis please and not just meaningless phrases like "loaded question" and "comedy gold".

• Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

YAWN

I'm beginning to understand how early pb-ers felt when I used to bang on about Europe, circa 2005. They would roll their eyes, pat me on the head, or edge slowly away.

Looking back I was right, of course. Europe was a dominant issue, albeit disguised, and in the end would shatter the keel of our politics, like vicious reefs hiding under calm water.

Perhaps the Remainers are the same now, and in 10-20 years we will go through huge convulsions and vote for re-entry (I seriously doubt it, but hey, let them have their dream).

What is the case NOW is that we are LEAVING, and the sooner the last diehard Remainers understand this the better, cause then we can stop arguing and the majority of the country that wants a soft, fudgy Brexit will get its way.

By the way, do you remember the many many many times you would personally and teasingly tell me that "Europe doesn't matter", "the EU is a side issue", "no one cares"?

I think I can allow myself one big fat

CHORTLE
    It is the defining characteristic of the last few years that the population was *made* to care about Europe.

I think by saying "twas always thus" you are doing pro-Brexit campaigners a disservice.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited January 2017
    I read earlier that Nick Palmer ignores lots of posters(inc me) because he doesn't like reading Corbyn is crap (that's the essence of his post). There are many ways of saying this, it largely depends exactly how awful Corbyn is on any given day. Ignoring what people; are saying and with what frequency, is why Labour are in the shit.. They thought that voters would follow them come what may.. Time to think again.. UKIP are going to make serious inroads into the Labour vote. Voters of the WWC that I converse with think Labour are fecked.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

chestnut said:

What are you going to do when your dire predictions don't come to pass?
  • Options

chestnut said:

You mean you didn't like the finding. If you are making such an assertion than some analysis please and not just meaningless phrases like "loaded question" and "comedy gold".

Of course it was a loaded question.
  • Options
    Good figures for Macron in the latest polls. Although with a big BUT - all the options polled are not equal. Valls will likely rap up the socialist nomination, and Macron is worst against him.

I have hedged my large position on Fillon to cover a Macron victory, I am keeping it that way. Of course the best result would be Le Pen to be out in the first round!
  • Options
    After nearly 20 years membership, I will have to reluctantly cancel my direct debit

https://twitter.com/amnesty/status/816742163866406912
  • Options

After nearly 20 years membership, I will have to reluctantly cancel my direct debit

://twitter.com/amnesty/status/816742163866406912

Why?
  • Options

chestnut said:

How do you define "loaded question" if defining one side as "the economy will suffer" isn't loaded?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

May to visit Trump in February then Trump to stay at Windsor Castle with the Queen in the Spring.

Think Nigel may have had a problem arranging the visit with HM

When is Angela to visit Trump - does anyone know out of interest

Surely Trump is too good for the likes of HM?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    "Timothy and Hill had their own work to do on the trip. Before they took up posts in May’s new government in July, Timothy said on Twitter that he did not want “any ‘reaching out’ to Trump,” while Hill tweeted: “Donald Trump is a chump.”"

Wonder how long it'll be before top (ahem) aides are banned from using social media. Idiots!
  • Options
    Cameron got one thing absolutely bang on...too many tweets make a tw@t...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

YAWN

I'm beginning to understand how early pb-ers felt when I used to bang on about Europe, circa 2005. They would roll their eyes, pat me on the head, or edge slowly away.

Looking back I was right, of course. Europe was a dominant issue, albeit disguised, and in the end would shatter the keel of our politics, like vicious reefs hiding under calm water.

Perhaps the Remainers are the same now, and in 10-20 years we will go through huge convulsions and vote for re-entry (I seriously doubt it, but hey, let them have their dream).

What is the case NOW is that we are LEAVING, and the sooner the last diehard Remainers understand this the better, cause then we can stop arguing and the majority of the country that wants a soft, fudgy Brexit will get its way.

By the way, do you remember the many many many times you would personally and teasingly tell me that "Europe doesn't matter", "the EU is a side issue", "no one cares"?

CHORTLE
    It is the defining characteristic of the last few years that the population was *made* to care about Europe.

I think by saying "twas always thus" you are doing pro-Brexit campaigners a disservice.
    Uh, I have spent my career (as a part time political journalist) banging on about the awfulness of the EU. Here's a TWELVE year old article I wrote for the Telegraph on the shiteness of the EU Constitution, which became the Lisbon Treaty

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-view/3592906/Gobbledegook.html

All my points are good (I just wish I'd been more vicious)

So there you go. I've been fighting for Brexit most of my life, as a national newspaper writer, and I have therefore played a small but not entirely insignificant part in transforming my country.

That is to say: my side won. Suck it up.
    Gobbledegook. Such a wonderful word!
  • Options
    edited January 2017

https://twitter.com/amnesty/status/816742163866406912

It is a tricky one.

Snowden is not a political prisoner, at most he is in exile, and has been granted asylum.

He would most likely be imprisoned if he travelled to a country that was willing to extradite to the USA, but apart from that he is a free man.

On the other hand we should not just support (non-violent) political criminals when we like their politics. If our rights are dependent on our politics then they are no rights at all.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980

However, the end point of the process already seems clear enough to me: Leave means Leave, even if Ukip can and will complain that it isn't coming quickly enough.

If this is the response to the Scottish government's paper, it does indeed tell them everything about how Westminster sees the Union of equals.
    Scotland was part of the UK on June 23rd, and still is...
    Just, but only just and pathetic attitudes as you demonstrate mean not for long
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,454
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    "Timothy and Hill had their own work to do on the trip. Before they took up posts in May’s new government in July, Timothy said on Twitter that he did not want “any ‘reaching out’ to Trump,” while Hill tweeted: “Donald Trump is a chump.”"

Wonder how long it'll be before top (ahem) aides are banned from using social media. Idiots!
    It doesn't demonstrate good judgement. At all.
  • Options

What on earth took you so long? Amnesty International stopped being a charity dedicated to its original aims years ago.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

YAWN

CHORTLE

Uh, I have spent my career (as a part time political journalist) banging on about the awfulness of the EU. Here's a TWELVE year old article I wrote for the Telegraph on the shiteness of the EU Constitution, which became the Lisbon Treaty

So there you go. I've been fighting for Brexit most of my life, as a national newspaper writer, and I have therefore played a small but not entirely insignificant part in transforming my country.

But despite all that you then had a period of apostasy, when you abandoned your hostility to the EU and pronounced yourself (I think) 'a reluctant Europhile'. What was all that about?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

YAWN

CHORTLE

Sean, what I mean is you one because you convinced people to care. That's a much bigger victory that convincing people one view over the other. Indeed it was the surprise of the campaign.

• Options
    edited January 2017

What on earth took you so long? Amnesty International stopped being a charity dedicated to its original aims years ago.
    Unfortunately not the only major charity to have gone that way.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,948
    edited January 2017

chestnut said:

Rubbish. Both questions are completely loaded. One simple example - the 'soft' version completely ignores the Norway option by claiming that the EU would have some control over UK trade policy. Norway is a very soft Brexit model but they are outside the customs union and the EU has no control over who they make trade deals with.

Just one example amongst plenty to show the questions are loaded and idiotic.
  • Options

As I recall Amnesty was never a charity, as in UK law that would restrict its political campaigns.
  • Options

As I recall Amnesty was never a charity, as in UK law that would restrict its political campaigns.
    Yes, I think you are right.
  • Options

I'm a romantic idealist.

Plus Sir Patrick Stewart personally persuaded me to join/support Amnesty.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Amensty Intentional has two "arms", one an NGO and one a charity.
  • Options

Yes, I think you are right.
    There is a separate AI charitable Trust constituted seperately with more generic aims (and not involved with this campaign). So part right.

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/amnesty-international-uk-charitable-trust
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

I'm a romantic idealist.

Plus Sir Patrick Stewart personally persuaded me to join/support Amnesty.
    Impossible to say no to Captain Picard really.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Wow just watched a history programme on bbc 4 on william the marshal,how the hell has hollywood missed out this guy.
  • Options
    Has anybody watched The OA on Netflix. Is it worth 10hrs or so of my time?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    edited January 2017
    I try not to lead on it but I don't get those who say they are bored of Brexit. On PB. It is the elephant on steroids in the room squared in UK politics.

Although there is much repetition nevertheless as each new development, rumour or counter-rumour emerges, of course we should talk about it.

I wouldn't wish to make a partisan point but it seems that it's mainly the Brexiters who don't want to discuss it and threaten to or actually do flounce off, curiously. I get the likes of @Richard_Tyndall, @Casino_Royale and others who, it seems, think "my work here is done" and pop in to comment now and then, but I don't get others who hang around this political website and bemoan discussions about politics.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I try not to lead on it but I don't get those who say they are bored of Brexit. On PB. It is the elephant on steroids in the room squared in UK politics.

Although there is much repetition nevertheless as each new development, rumour or counter-rumour emerges, of course we should talk about it.

I wouldn't wish to make a partisan point but it seems that it's mainly the Brexiters who don't want to discuss it and threaten to or actually do flounce off, curiously. I get the likes of @Richard_Tyndall, @Casino_Royale and others who it looks like think "my work here is done" and pop in to comment now and then, but I don't get others who hang around this political website and bemoan discussions about politics.

To be honest I would spend a lot more time here but I did neglect my real work a fair bit in the months leading up to the vote and really have had to try and play catch up since then. If I could I would comment more as my ideal outcome looks like being rejected. I probably knew it would be but still like to fight my corner if I have the time.
  • Options
    New thread :)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

However, the end point of the process already seems clear enough to me: Leave means Leave, even if Ukip can and will complain that it isn't coming quickly enough.

If this is the response to the Scottish government's paper, it does indeed tell them everything about how Westminster sees the Union of equals.
    Scotland was part of the UK on June 23rd, and still is...
    Just, but only just and pathetic attitudes as you demonstrate mean not for long
    I don't know where you get your delusions, laser-brain!
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932

Wow just watched a history programme on bbc 4 on william the marshal,how the hell has hollywood missed out this guy.

We students of English medieval history have been keeping him to ourselves.
This discussion has been closed.