Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A measure of the anti-elite backlash will be when when a non-d

Comments

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited January 2017

Thinking of University Challenge, Oxford and Cambridge ought to have primaries, to pick which team they want to send through to the competition. Or else rebrand the programme "Oxbridge College Challenge".

It's a design decision. Oxford has lost a quiz match once this millennium I believe, to Cambridge. Not sure it competes hugely much though.
  • Options
    Anyone else who subscribes to Popbitch, please tell me the story about the beloved sci-fi actress and her dog isn't about Carrie Fisher.

Suggest some alternatives.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    weejonnie said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Given the best universities in the country are Oxford and Cambridge (with the PPE course provided by the former but not the latter explaining its disproportionate share of PMs) it is not surprising Oxford is overrepresented in election winning MPs (though Chamberlain went to Birmingham and Brown Edinburgh albeit neither won an election). However I don't see why an election winning non-Oxbridge PM would be a defeat for the elite for example if an Eton and Bristol educated City Lawyer beat a comprehensive and Oxford educated social worker would that be a defeat for the elite? I think not.

Oxbridge conspiracy theorists would point to the storms of sneering abuse that have greeted non-Oxford leaders such as Kinnock, Major and Brown; not to mention Jeremy Corbyn. And a quick glance at wikipedia tells me Andrea Leadsom was a Warwick graduate up against Oxford's Theresa May.
    True though Major beat the Etonian and Oxford Hurd and the Shrewsbury and Oxford Heseltine. Churchill was non Oxbridge too but he was an old Harrovian which meant he still had half a foot in the door. The snobbiest of the elite see you as a full member of the club if you went to public school and Oxbridge, half a member of the club if you went to either and not in the club if you went to neither
    In Churchill's case, being the grandson of a duke and the son of a Chancellor probably meant that he had more than half a foot in the door.
    I don't think Randolph Churchill was a popular character with 'The Elite',. WLSC was a populist or celebrity politician who rode on the back of his 'war exploits' into the Commons.
    He might not have been popular but he was still One Of Us. Winston might well have ended up where he did anyway through sheer force of personality but his background was hardly a hindrance.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

On topic, you could argue the greatest Prime Minister we never had went to Cambridge.

Ken Clarke.

A table of some general election losers makes bad reading for Oxford.

Oxford: Miliband, Hague, Callaghan (applied) Wilson (twice) Heath

Cambridge: Howard

Others: Brown, Kinnock,

NG: Major

So Oxford leads the losers table.

Ken Clarke would have been an atrocious PM. He might even have vied with Heath for the title of worst post war PM.
    Ken Clarke was so good that the Tories went for Iain Duncan Smith instead.
    Just think what might have happened if they hadn't:

http://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/but-for-a-vote-ken-clarke-wins-the-2001-tory-leadership-contest.361152/
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    Sandpit said:

On topic, you could argue the greatest Prime Minister we never had went to Cambridge.

Ken Clarke.

Ken Clarke would have been an atrocious PM. He might even have vied with Heath for the title of worst post war PM.
    Says more about the Tories than Ken.
  • Options

Anyone else who subscribes to Popbitch, please tell me the story about the beloved sci-fi actress and her dog isn't about Carrie Fisher.

As she's now dead. Surely they would have named her if that was the case.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    edited January 2017

Thinking of University Challenge, Oxford and Cambridge ought to have primaries, to pick which team they want to send through to the competition. Or else rebrand the programme "Oxbridge College Challenge".

It irks me that Durham - which is also Collegiate only has one team. I think there is an internal competition between the colleges to pick the best college team rather than the best Durham University team.

Declaration of interest.

Went to Durham High School for girls, The Chorister School for boys, Durham School (at the time for boys) and my son went to Collingwood College, Durham.
  • Options

As she's now dead. Surely they would have named her if that was the case.
    But she's the only beloved sci-fi actress that I can think of that owned a dog.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Sandpit said:

Ken Clarke.

http://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/but-for-a-vote-ken-clarke-wins-the-2001-tory-leadership-contest.361152/
    “I’ve been thinking about the future”, Blair began.

“Good”, said Gordon. “So have I. When are you going to hand over to me?”

Classic!
  • Options
    Not a movie buff, Courtney Weaver?
  • Options

We do. All thirty colleges at Oxford apply for a handful of places - the exact amount determined by scores and, frankly, telegenics.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2017
    No wonder the economics profession 'is in crisis' (according to Andy Haldane):

There is a lot that could be done to lift the performance of under-performing companies, [Andy Haldane] says. As one example, he says it is easy to borrow against physical property, but much harder to borrow against intellectual property.

Only an economist could be stupid enough not to realise that there's a very good reason for that!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/jan/05/whitehall-lacks-skills-for-hard-nosed-brexit-negotiation-says-former-trade-envoy-politics-live
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

We do. All thirty colleges at Oxford apply for a handful of places - the exact amount determined by scores and, frankly, telegenics.

I still weep about not making it on TV despite being in the BNC team 3 times...

:)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907

Sandpit said:

Ken Clarke.

That was a good read. But yes, we would have most likely joined the Euro.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Movie or TV?
  • Options

Movie or TV?
    Doesn't say, just says actress.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

No wonder the economics profession 'is in crisis' (according to Andy Haldane):

There is a lot that could be done to lift the performance of under-performing companies, [Andy Haldane] says. As one example, he says it is easy to borrow against physical property, but much harder to borrow against intellectual property.

Only an economist could be stupid enough not to realise that there's a very good reason for that!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/jan/05/whitehall-lacks-skills-for-hard-nosed-brexit-negotiation-says-former-trade-envoy-politics-live

I'm not even sure that's true

physical assets quite often get hardish valuations on a loan

antyhing "tech" which is essentially fresh air has access to sources of finances who will quite happily bet on an idea.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

Ken Clarke.

Pretty sure he'd have been better than IDS though...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Ten years behind the advances of Morris Dancer:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38510344
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Remarkable chart - congrats to Mike or whoever else did the research.

In Frankfurt this week. German polls remain stable:

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/

- no obvious alternative to Merkel is emerging. Did the weekly (ReWe) supermarket shop for a friend - prices are generally similar to e.g. Tesco, except fresh fruit out of season (much more expensive - e.g. blackberries £3.80 vs £2 in UK) and general absence of cheapest variations - you'd struggle to find cheap cuts of meat, non-free range eggs, etc. Much less microwaveable stuff (which is my own staple diet) - emphasis very heavily on "natural freshly prepared food".
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    SeanT said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

The Oxford (With very occasional Cambridge and a couple of Edinburgh/Glasgow or none) sequence continues right back to Sir Robert Walpole.

Previous to that it seems the most important non royal position was the Lord High Treasurer, which seems to have been related to the church in the early days - (Various Bishops seemed to get the position, the first of which was Nigel of Ely...).

Before that position was created the key figure I suppose was the Archbishop of Canterbury, and that gets you back to St Augustine in ~ 600.

Given Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrew's, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow were the only universities in the UK until Durham was founded in 1832 that is not surprising
    You're incorrect. I'd check again if I were you.

Edit: someone's noted TCD but you might also look at London.
    UCL was also early nineteenth century
    You're moving towards accuracy.
    UCL is my university: the Godless College of Gower Street. A whirl of metropolitan sexiness and very hard drugs. We look down on the country bumpkins of Oxbridge.

Plus we have the corpse of our founder, philosopher Jeremy Bentham, embalmed and kept in a box in the University cloisters, and sometimes he is wheeled into meetings of the College Council. Beat that.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/museums/jeremy-bentham
    He was and is tiny.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

- no obvious alternative to Merkel is emerging. Did the weekly (ReWe) supermarket shop for a friend - prices are generally similar to e.g. Tesco, except fresh fruit out of season (much more expensive - e.g. blackberries £3.80 vs £2 in UK) and general absence of cheapest variations - you'd struggle to find cheap cuts of meat, non-free range eggs, etc. Much less microwaveable stuff (which is my own staple diet) - emphasis very heavily on "natural freshly prepared food".

I'm sure there were barrels of sourkraut and loads of wurst - German fast food
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,046

There's a great quote about laser weapons during the star wars program in the 80s. Sadly, I cannot remember if it is fictional or real (I *think* the latter):

The military were trying to explain directed energy weapons to some congressmen. One of the politicians, obviously versed in too much science fiction, asked: "Could this weapon vaporise me?"

"Sure," one of the militarymen replied. "If you stood still for a couple of years."

Lasers have improved a little since then ...
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited January 2017
    Brilliant (even better on twitter.com where the text comes first):
    https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/817009686314680320
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, not up on the tech, but I wonder if it is a laser, or a maser.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    midwinter said:

Ken Clarke.

Pretty sure he'd have been better than IDS though...
    So would Healey, the other best PM we never had (Oxford, though).

I think Clarke would have been OK; stays relatively calm in a crisis.

Doesn't Eden deserve the title 'worst post War PM', along with others who made disastrous foreign policy errors?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Does May usually photograph that badly?

• Options
    SeanT said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

The Oxford (With very occasional Cambridge and a couple of Edinburgh/Glasgow or none) sequence continues right back to Sir Robert Walpole.

Previous to that it seems the most important non royal position was the Lord High Treasurer, which seems to have been related to the church in the early days - (Various Bishops seemed to get the position, the first of which was Nigel of Ely...).

Before that position was created the key figure I suppose was the Archbishop of Canterbury, and that gets you back to St Augustine in ~ 600.

Given Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrew's, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow were the only universities in the UK until Durham was founded in 1832 that is not surprising

UCL is my university: the Godless College of Gower Street. A whirl of metropolitan sexiness and very hard drugs. We look down on the country bumpkins of Oxbridge.

Plus we have the corpse of our founder, philosopher Jeremy Bentham, embalmed and kept in a box in the University cloisters, and sometimes he is wheeled into meetings of the College Council. Beat that.

We may be country bumpkins, but at least our university isn't younger than America....
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

The year after I retired to our second team, the first team got on telly for the first time in ages.

That's the bit I always chuckle when its on social media about XXX from YYY being a bit intense. You lot didn't see the people that didn't get on telly ...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

The wheeling-him-in-to-meetings thing is an urban legend apparently (according to a friend of mine who used to work there). A true story though is that they keep of book in which the UCL academics must declare any relationships they've had with students - to guard against conflicts of interest when marking etc. Apparently the randier dons use it as a guide for finding out who the 'easier' students are, and make their lascivious move.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,501
    edited January 2017

You haven't lived until you've heard the Nine Inch Nails/Carly Rae Jepson mash up of Head Like A Hole and Call Me Maybe, imaginatively titled 'Call Me A Hole'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7iqalhjWno
  • Options

I'm pretty sure (citation needed) that all the SDI Star Wars work was on visible-light or near visible-light lasers, not masers.

I might be wrong though, and something stirring in the back of my mind makes me think there were also x-ray energy devices experimented with at the time,

Sadly it's not my field, and Mrs J (who might know) is at work.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    weejonnie said:

It irks me that Durham - which is also Collegiate only has one team. I think there is an internal competition between the colleges to pick the best college team rather than the best Durham University team.

Declaration of interest.

Went to Durham High School for girls, The Chorister School for boys, Durham School (at the time for boys) and my son went to Collingwood College, Durham.
    Which bathroom did you use?
  • Options
    @david_herdson - You end your story by saying that Brown appoints a female chancellor - Who? Hewitt? Kelly?
  • Options

I'm pretty sure (citation needed) that all the SDI Star Wars work was on visible-light or near visible-light lasers, not masers.

I might be wrong though, and something stirring in the back of my mind makes me think there were also x-ray energy devices experimented with at the time,

Sadly it's not my field, and Mrs J (who might know) is at work.
    Yes, there was great interest in a nuclear pumped X-Ray laser to be used as one of the Star Wars defence mechanisms
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

There's a great quote about laser weapons during the star wars program in the 80s. Sadly, I cannot remember if it is fictional or real (I *think* the latter):

The military were trying to explain directed energy weapons to some congressmen. One of the politicians, obviously versed in too much science fiction, asked: "Could this weapon vaporise me?"

"Sure," one of the militarymen replied. "If you stood still for a couple of years."

The US Army is very innovative. They carry out research into such tactics as walking through Walls, killing people using thought transference, bending spoons, using cats as assassins, and casting spells against their enemies.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

@david_herdson - You end your story by saying that Brown appoints a female chancellor - Who? Hewitt? Kelly?

Yvette Cooper.
  • Options
    Mr. F, don't forget brown noise.
  • Options
    Pity me.

I've just spent three and a half hours at a children's soft play (aka baby cage)

I was standing against a wall keeping my eye on the little 'un when something whacks me right in the tackle. I double over, and when I open my eyes a cherubic little boy, blonde, not more than four years of age, is aiming another punch.

I thought that might amuse a few of you ... :)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    DavidL said:

I am not exactly a revolutionary socialist but reading a table like that could make you one, it really could.

Quite.

I meet lots of Oxford types in my line of work. A significant proportion of them are w*nkers. And quite a few of the rest have about as much common-sense as my front door mat.

• Options

Mortimer said:

The year after I retired to our second team, the first team got on telly for the first time in ages.

That's the bit I always chuckle when its on social media about XXX from YYY being a bit intense. You lot didn't see the people that didn't get on telly ...
    I feared, after the event, that a similar 'Mortimer is too boring' veto may have prevented the team making it.

PB would have a fantastic Uni Challenge team....

TSE's pop knowledge, RCS on everything mathematical, JJ for sciences and Mr Dancer for historical knowledge.

• Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

I feared, after the event, that a similar 'Mortimer is too boring' veto may have prevented the team making it.

TSE's pop knowledge, RCS on everything mathematical, JJ for sciences and Mr Dancer for historical knowledge.

You don't need Mr Dancer for historical knowledge when you've got me on the team.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    Sean_F said:

The US Army is very innovative. They carry out research into such tactics as walking through Walls, killing people using thought transference, bending spoons, using cats as assassins, and casting spells against their enemies.
    Very entertaining film, The Men who Stare at Goats.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    nunu said:

weejonnie said:

Declaration of interest.

Toilet!
  • Options

Pity me.

I've just spent three and a half hours at a children's soft play (aka baby cage)

I was standing against a wall keeping my eye on the little 'un when something whacks me right in the tackle. I double over, and when I open my eyes a cherubic little boy, blonde, not more than four years of age, is aiming another punch.

I hope you warmed his ears.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Yvette Cooper.
    Too early for her - David implies she had experience at the Treasury so that would suggest one of the junior posts which Hewitt and Kelly held.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, in the court of history, you make a fine jester.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Very entertaining film, The Men who Stare at Goats.
    Not to mention using the music from Barney the Dinosaur to break captives.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Ken Clarke.

Oxford: Miliband, Hague, Callaghan (applied) Wilson (twice) Heath (three times)

As a Cambridge man I'd love to agree but how do you square this with the all political careers [ especially those of PMs end in failure?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    nunu said:

weejonnie said:

Declaration of interest.

The male one - Durham High School for Girls took boys in kindergarten, year 1 and year 2 in the 1960s.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    I'm waiting for the torrent of abuse from the remainers saying this is too hard and that a court case to prevent it will be lodged
  • Options
    felix said:

Ken Clarke.

As a Cambridge man I'd love to agree but how do you square this with the all political careers [ especially those of PMs end in failure?
    I think power becomes an addiction, you could argue in the last hundred years no Prime Minister left office at a time of their own choosing, Wilson maybe, but I think he knew he was developing Alzheimer's.

Had Dave won the referendum, he would have been a rarity, a PM choosing to stand down at the time of his choosing.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    rcs1000 said:

Dromedary said:

rcs1000 said:

I want to lay Le Pen. Given she (personally) didn't even come close in the most FN friendly region of France against an insipid LR candidate in the immediate aftermath of the Bataclan and Nice attaks, I can't see how she can possibly win the Presidency absent a massive shock.

Just some facts, for people to do with as they wish:

Hauts-de-France regional election, 2015:

R1: 1st: Le Pen, 41%, 909000 votes (polling predicted 42%)
    2nd: Bertrand, 25%, 558000 votes
    turnout 55%

R2: 1st Bertrand, 58%, 1389000 votes (polling for R2 before R1 predicted 53%)
    2nd Le Pen, 42%, 1016000 votes
    turnout 61%

In the presidential election, turnout will probably exceed 80% in both rounds.

I think that rather proves my point. Let's just assume that all the 20% increase in turnout between the regionals and the presidential goes to the Front National. That would put Le Pen in the lead, but only by a relatively modest margin, perhaps 56:44. (Her vote would increase to about 1.8m.)

If she only wins Haut de France by that margin, she probably loses the Presidential race by close to twenty points.
    More like six points.

Working:

2015 regional, R2
    HDF: Le Pen 42%, turnout 61%;
    whole country: Le Pen 27%, turnout 58%

2017 presidential, R2
    assume turnout 80% and all regional abstainers back Le Pen
    HdF: Le Pen: 55% = (0.41+(80/61-1))/(1+(80/61-1))
    whole country: Le Pen: (0.27+(80/58-1))/(1+(80/58-1)) = 47%

I agree she needs to win votes from those who voted for other parties in the regionals.

It's interesting that in the regional in HdF, which contains the Calais "jungle", a lot of people who abstained in R1 turned out to vote for her opponent in R2.

But that region may not be her best in the presidential. In 2012, Hollande won both rounds in both Nord and Pas de Calais. Most of the refugees there are from black Africa, Afghanistan, etc. Many don't speak French and don't want to live in France. The issue there overlaps with multiculturalism but it isn't the same. HdF wasn't even the FN's best regional result in 2015. They won 45% in R2 in Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, which includes Marseilles, for a list headed by Marion.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    No surprise Cambridge doesn't feature, after all those spies that were uncovered.. Hence the Dark blue walkover.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

They are also very big on non lethal weapons and have put a lot of research into them. These include subsonics which literally make you lose control of your bowels, weapons that induce temporary blindness, microwave weapons that make you feel like your skin is on fire as long as it is directed at you and stuff like riot foam (I believe the Japanese are already well advanced with this for policing.

Funnily enough with many of these weapons they would be in breach of the Geneva conventions. It is okay to kill someone but not to make them feel uncomfortable for a while.
  • Options
    Paging Mr Dancer

The Monaco Grand Prix will be broadcast live on free-to-air television in the UK for the first time in five years as Channel 4 revealed its programme details for the new season.

The terrestrial broadcaster will again show 10 live Formula One races as part of its co-broadcasting deal with Sky Sports, including the British Grand Prix at Silverstone on 16 July. Sky will show all 20 races live.

Channel 4 will also broadcast live for the first time the Russian, Singapore and US grands prix, dropping Spain, Hungary, Italy and Mexico as a result. The channel has also retained the rights to the season-ending Abu Dhabi race.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jan/05/monaco-grand-prix-free-to-air-tv-channel-4?CMP=twt_gu
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,015

Pity me.

Good value for my 20p there I think.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Everyone says the Euro is too weak for Germany but if that was the case it should be having rabid inflation. Inflation does not seem to be a major German problem. So is the Euro too weak for Germany or is it just right for them and wrong for everyone else?

German CPI is 1.7% vs 1.1% for the EMU, excluding the Germany EMU inflation would be around 0.6%. The monetary policy of the ECB is not suitable for Germany and their economy is showing signs of overheating.
    1.7% is still below target not overheating.
  • Options
    http://order-order.com/2017/01/05/compare-contrast-economist-cameron-may/

On the left, The Economist on Dave a few months after he became PM, mocked up with a mohican with the headline “Radical Britain: the West’s most daring government”. On the right, The Economist on “Theresa Maybe” this week: “Britain’s indecisive premier”. The Economist might be Remainer whinge-fest at the moment but the new Number 10 has failed to kill this narrative in its first few months…
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Hugh Gaitskell might have won in 1964 another Oxford man.However John Smith might also have won in 1997 from Glasgow . It would be good for the Labour legacy and for meritocracy if an Open University graduate made it to PM.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Pity me.

Good value for my 20p there I think.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    felix said:

Ken Clarke.

Surely that is one of the political quotations which sound smart and turn out to be nonsense? All careers end, some with more success than others. Like "power without responsibility – the prerogative of the harlot throughout the ages". You don't have to be a guardianista to realise that there is not much less empowering than having to fuck strangers for paltry sums, with violence and disease on the side. So wtf did he think "harlot" actually means??
  • Options

No surprise Cambridge doesn't feature, after all those spies that were uncovered.. Hence the Dark blue walkover.

Oxford had the better spies too it seems :)
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, ....

Hooray. The most boring, processional circuit on the calendar is live. Russia and Singapore are tedious. Losing Hungary and Mexico is no loss, but Spain can throw up surprises and Italy's a great high speed circuit.

Abu Dhabi remains mostly tedious.

Also live:
    Bahrain has had a fantastic race and most of the rest were awful.
    Azerbaijan has claim to be the worst circuit (big rival for Monaco).
    UK is good, obviously.
    Belgium also very good.
    Malaysia's pretty good.
    USA is the best modern track and also entertaining.

We don't get to see Canada, Austria, Japan or Brazil (assuming that happens).

The Assessment of Morris Dancer: half the races, but not half the good ones.
  • Options

Oxford had the better spies too it seems :)
    Yup, poor Arthur Wynn never got the credit he deserves, it was an establishment cover up

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1423660/MI6-officer-suspected-of-being-Soviet-spy-was-never-questioned.html
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Blue_rog said:

I'm sure there were barrels of sourkraut and loads of wurst - German fast food
    About the same level of sausage as in Tesco (i.e. lots). Didn't notice the Sauerkraut but guess it was in there somewhere!

The other interesting thing, pointed out in the weekly centrist online mag Cicero, is that there is a determined Establishment consensus to refrain from dwelling on the Berlin attack - an ecumunical memorial service stressing the need not be provoked, love conquers hate, and so on, and otherwise nothing much. The Cicero writer would have liked to see lots about the 12 victims (5 of them foreign), public grief, soul-searching, etc., as I'm sure we'd have had in Britain. I'm not sure he's typical, though - the strength of the German establishment is that it's rooted deeply in much of the German population, for whom the past is an unforgettable reminder of what happens if you get too carrried away in any direction.
  • Options
    Anyway, off for a bit.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I don't think you can read anything at all into this speech. ....

Especially since it's not a speech Theresa May has given, but a journalist's guesstimate of a speech she might give, masquerading as a news story.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    That white boy who was kidnapped by those black teenagers was autistic and he thought one of them were his friends. People are sick. I give up on people.
  • Options

Winston might well have ended up where he did anyway through sheer force of personality but his background was hardly a hindrance.

Perhaps if rather than being born at Blenheim Palace he'd been born at Chatsworth, and rather than attending Harrow he'd been educated at Rugby, yes. But what would it mean even to imagine his having been born down the Old Kent Road and left some dump school at 11? He wouldn't have had the slightest chance of ending up where he did.
  • Options
    nunu said:

That white boy who was kidnapped by those black teenagers was autistic and he thought one of them were his friends. People are sick. I give up on people.

There is an element of complete scum in any given population, but that element is a minority, albeit, one that can come to the fore in war or revolution.

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,748
    edited January 2017
    I think people might be underestimating Theresa May - just as they laughed at John Major for being boring, but he was actually quite good. Without a shadow of doubt, Brexit will be extended crap. Mediocre PM for mediocre times? Theresa's your man! Someone with more imagination might try to do something and muck it all up. As far as I can detect any May strategy at all, it seems to be to declare out-ness, call it a triumph and hope everyone wants to forget about it from then on.

It may just work!

• Options
    Dromedary said:

Winston might well have ended up where he did anyway through sheer force of personality but his background was hardly a hindrance.

Perhaps if rather than being born at Blenheim Palace he'd been born at Chatsworth, and rather than attending Harrow he'd been educated at Rugby, yes. But what would it mean even to imagine his having been born down the Old Kent Road and left some dump school at 11? He wouldn't have had the slightest chance of ending up where he did.
    People do emerge from nowhere to positions of great power, but they're very rare.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    SeanT said:

I don't think you can read anything at all into this speech. OF COURSE she has to say we are prepared to leave the Single Market if we don't get what we want. She's not going to copy Dave "dimwit" Cameron's idiotic negotiating style, which was to say there was no way he would ever take Britain out of the EU, and THEN go asking for fundamental reform...

Your comparison with Cameron is the significant thing. She's seeking to rerun Cameron's negotiation but this time with leaving as a credible threat backed up by 17 million Brits.
  • Options
    Churchill and Major - non-Oxford!
  • Options
    Oxford, Cambridge.... Hull!

I visited Hull on Tuesday, doing the rail line from Doncaster via Selby. Had a good view of the Humber Bridge from the train, and also passed over Selby swing-bridge.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    edited January 2017
    Dromedary said:

More like six points.

Working:

2015 regional, R2
    HDF: Le Pen 42%, turnout 61%;
    whole country: Le Pen 27%, turnout 58%

2017 presidential, R2
    assume turnout 80% and all regional abstainers back Le Pen
    HdF: Le Pen: 55% = (0.41+(80/61-1))/(1+(80/61-1))
    whole country: Le Pen: (0.27+(80/58-1))/(1+(80/58-1)) = 47%

I agree she needs to win votes from those who voted for other parties in the regionals.

It's interesting that in the regional in HdF, which contains the Calais "jungle", a lot of people who abstained in R1 turned out to vote for her opponent in R2.

But that region may not be her best in the presidential. In 2012, Hollande won both rounds in both Nord and Pas de Calais. Most of the refugees there are from black Africa, Afghanistan, etc. Many don't speak French and don't want to live in France. The issue there overlaps with multiculturalism but it isn't the same. HdF wasn't even the FN's best regional result in 2015. They won 45% in R2 in Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, which includes Marseilles, for a list headed by Marion.

You are absolutely right about Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, and I'd forgotten about that.

But you are forgetting Paris. They didn't vote in the French regionals, and the FN is (relatively) weak there. Including that, it probably pushes the FN down to 45%.

Nevertheless, the assumption we're making is heroic the FN. That turnout increases from 58% to 80% and *all* of the increase goes the FN. This ignores, of course, the fact that the FN's first round opinion poll share has dropped from 32% then to 24% now.

Absent a whole series of Bataclans (and let's not forget the Bataclan attacks, which killed 130 people, happened just before the French regionals), it's very hard to see how the FN can go from a mid twenties first round score, to north of 50% in the second round.

Edit to add: Lyon didn't vote either, nor some of the overseas departements where the FN has negligible support.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    Dromedary said:

Ernest Bevin? Aneurin Bevan?
    In an earlier generation Ramsay Mac.

I grant you they were the exception.
  • Options
    I am loving Trump's embrace of Assange, having called for his execution a few years ago.

The right-on luvvy lefties - spearheaded by Ken Loach - are going to be spitting blood.

The swivel-eyed right-wingers who once hated him are now portraying him as a hero.

All very amusing.

Worth remembering he is where he is because he refuses to travel to Sweden to face allegations of rape.

• Options
    Yorkcity said:

Hugh Gaitskell might have won in 1964 another Oxford man.However John Smith might also have won in 1997 from Glasgow . It would be good for the Labour legacy and for meritocracy if an Open University graduate made it to PM.

I heard a rumour that John Smith was bumped off by a secretive group of Oxford academics.
  • Options

On the left, The Economist on Dave a few months after he became PM, mocked up with a mohican with the headline “Radical Britain: the West’s most daring government”. On the right, The Economist on “Theresa Maybe” this week: “Britain’s indecisive premier”. The Economist might be Remainer whinge-fest at the moment but the new Number 10 has failed to kill this narrative in its first few months…

I'm convinced this is as much about the new administration not being as briefing/media friendly as the last than any real issues.

Most people are happy with Theresa, and she'll win far more Con/Lab marginals than Dave ever could have done.

• Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    FF43 said:

I think people might be underestimating Theresa May - just as they laughed at John Major for being boring, but he was actually quite good. Without a shadow of doubt, Brexit will be extended crap. Mediocre PM for mediocre times? Theresa's your man! Someone with more imagination might try to do something and muck it all up. As far as I can detect any May strategy at all, it seems to be to declare out-ness, call it a triumph and hope everyone wants to forget about it from then on.

It may just work!

I agree May is as boring as Geoff Boycott at the crease .He played for himself was never a good captain but was idolised by the truly faithfull. May will extend the Brexit crap until people will
    Want her to declare and ask for the follow on.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

You don't need Mr Dancer for historical knowledge when you've got me on the team.
    That was too quick!

• Options

I think power becomes an addiction, you could argue in the last hundred years no Prime Minister left office at a time of their own choosing, Wilson maybe, but I think he knew he was developing Alzheimer's.

The tanks at Heathrow and the belief among senior MI5 officers, egged on by James Angleton, that Wilson was a KGB asset also had something to do with why he announced his "surprise" resignation.

George Bush, head of the CIA, was in London the same day.

Wilson's brain was damaged during a medical operation later.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    edited January 2017

felix said:

Ken Clarke.

Had Dave won the referendum, he would have been a rarity, a PM choosing to stand down at the time of his choosing.
    He did stand down at a time of his own choosing
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I'm convinced this is as much about the new administration not being as briefing/media friendly as the last than any real issues.

Most people are happy with Theresa, and she'll win far more Con/Lab marginals than Dave ever could have done.

Not making a political point, but Dave never got the pleasure of facing off against Corbyn.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

nunu said:

It's a hideous story. And the policeman tried to dismiss it as "just kids doing stupid things"

Would he say that if it had been an autistic black lad tortured by white thugs? Disgraceful.
    Forgetting the racial element, there was an horrific murder/torture of an mentally disabled Englishman by feral teenagers about a decade ago. It brought me to tears. How do people like that exist?
  • Options
    isam said:

felix said:

Ken Clarke.

He did stand down at a time of his own choosing
    The time was foisted upon him for being so inept.

• Options
    Yorkcity said:

FF43 said:

It may just work!

I agree May is as boring as Geoff Boycott at the crease .He played for himself was never a good captain but was idolised by the truly faithfull. May will extend the Brexit crap until people will

Theresa May = Geoff Boycott is perfect.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Yorkcity said:

I heard a rumour that John Smith was bumped off by a secretive group of Oxford academics.
    It was either that or the booze.

Perhaps one of the conspirators was Christopher Hill? Eight years between leaving the Communist Party and being elected Master of Balliol!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

Not making a political point, but Dave never got the pleasure of facing off against Corbyn.

He destroyed Corbyn every week in PMQs for months. Corbyn regularly gets the better of May. Shows how important PMQs is.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

Very true, but Dave never played as well with the Cs and Ds as Mrs May seems to.

I honestly think May, like Thatcher, puts some seats into play, especially in the Midlands, that Eton-educated leaders struggle with.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082

Yorkcity said:

FF43 said:

It may just work!

Theresa May = Geoff Boycott is perfect.
    The rest of the lead batting line up will get systematically eliminated as they're left to face the fast bowling, until she brings in a similarly boring nightwatchman to avoid having to put Andrea Leadsom at the Brexit crease.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Ruth Kelly.
  • Options
    isam said:

SeanT said:

nunu said:

It's a hideous story. And the policeman tried to dismiss it as "just kids doing stupid things"

Would he say that if it had been an autistic black lad tortured by white thugs? Disgraceful.
    Forgetting the racial element, there was an horrific murder/torture of an mentally disabled Englishman by feral teenagers about a decade ago. It brought me to tears. How do people like that exist?
    My view is that it comes down to a combination of the following:
    *) Bad 'genes' (by which I mean negative inherent traits, even if slight ones such as hyperactivity)
    *) Bad parenting.
    *) Bad associates - e.g. friends, role models.

Someone can, with drive, overcome these. All three together can be toxic.
  • Options

I am loving Trump's embrace of Assange, having called for his execution a few years ago.

The right-on luvvy lefties - spearheaded by Ken Loach - are going to be spitting blood.

The swivel-eyed right-wingers who once hated him are now portraying him as a hero.

All very amusing.

Worth remembering he is where he is because he refuses to travel to Sweden to face allegations of rape.

It's a topsy turvy world.

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/817028878652817408
  • Options

felix said:

Ken Clarke.

In the last 100 years, Baldwin probably counts as an unforced retirement in 1937.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

nunu said:

When I was in prison, most of the cons I encountered had some terrible backstory - a violent father, abusive mother, orphaned at 6, a justified hatred of whoever - so you could kind of explain their crimes.

But I met a handful who were simply evil, as far I could see. Not insane, not even stupid, they simply took a nihilistic pleasure in the suffering or killing of others and the negation of society. And as SeanF says, they come from all backgrounds, and come in all colours.

This was it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1558706/Tortured-drugged-and-murdered-for-fun.html
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

In contradiction of which, I give you his friend and rival, David Lloyd George.
This discussion has been closed.