Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A measure of the anti-elite backlash will be when when a non-d

Comments

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited January 2017
    HYUFD said:

Given the best universities in the country are Oxford and Cambridge (with the PPE course provided by the former but not the latter explaining its disproportionate share of PMs) it is not surprising Oxford is overrepresented in election winning MPs (though Chamberlain went to Birmingham and Brown Edinburgh albeit neither won an election). However I don't see why an election winning non-Oxbridge PM would be a defeat for the elite for example if an Eton and Bristol educated City Lawyer beat a comprehensive and Oxford educated social worker would that be a defeat for the elite? I think not.

Oxbridge conspiracy theorists would point to the storms of sneering abuse that have greeted non-Oxford leaders such as Kinnock, Major and Brown; not to mention Jeremy Corbyn. And a quick glance at wikipedia tells me Andrea Leadsom was a Warwick graduate up against Oxford's Theresa May.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    edited January 2017

Creeping, as a glacier creeps. The fact that imperial measurements are so widely used in a sport where metric is universal at elite level shows, if anything, how resistant the US is to adopting metric.
    It'll never change fully in the USA because NFL is the only sport in the world that relies on regular repeated attempts to make yards in the rules. It is much more intrisic to the game than the 22 yards of a cricket pitch, the 1m 4f 10y of Epsom or any other 'yardage', for each 'play' has to make 10 yards - and it is refferred to as "1st and 10, 2nd and 7" and so on and so forth.
    "First and nine point one four four" simply isn't the same.

"First and nine or ten metres" changes the very nature of the game...
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Mr. Roger, Germany does have a lot of good artists, though. I'm sure it'd be enthralling to visit a Kunstmuseum.

I was taken to a museum of erotic art in Hamburg once. So if I'd picked up a guide it would have been titled 'Museum der erotischen kunst
  • Options

Mr. Enjineeya, believe it or not, I did know that (I think the U in Sturmgewehr needs an umlaut too) but don't know how to easily manufacture an umlaut.

As was said on this site only recently - one reason English is widely used is the absence of accents and other odd symbols above and below the letters.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    Pulpstar said:

The Oxford (With very occasional Cambridge and a couple of Edinburgh/Glasgow or none) sequence continues right back to Sir Robert Walpole.

Previous to that it seems the most important non royal position was the Lord High Treasurer, which seems to have been related to the church in the early days - (Various Bishops seemed to get the position, the first of which was Nigel of Ely...).

Before that position was created the key figure I suppose was the Archbishop of Canterbury, and that gets you back to St Augustine in ~ 600.

Given Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrew's, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow were the only universities in the UK until Durham was founded in 1832 that is not surprising
  • Options
    A welcome back to the quote function on the main PB web site.

:)
  • Options

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

So basically while Cambridge nurtures genius and advances mankind, Oxford just dicks the country about

Cambridge is the home of rabid leftism. :/
    Every university is the home of rabid leftism. Save for Durham, Exeter, perhaps.
    Somewhat surprisingly perhaps, in the mid 80s Cardiff was the only University which had a Tory student union administration. Welshowl and I both dabbled in that at the time.
    Nottingham was deeply Tory in 1980s.

Nottingham University is dominated by Engineers and Scientists who are practical people rather than dreamers.
    When I went to Nottingham University the Student Union was strictly non partisan with an emphasis on student only matters. People were all independents nobody was elected on a party label. I went to the NUS Conference in 2003 and I swear we were the only ones to vote against a motion that the NUS opposes the Iraq War as we felt the NUS should concern itself with student issues not waste a day on a war that had already started and had nothing to do with students.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Roger, you forgot the Italian ' farfalla'

I told it to some Germans I was working with and of course it was meaningless to them.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    Clearly it is time for an OU PPE wonk to have a go at being PM, rather than an Oxford PPE wonk.

Oh, and why is it that Oxbridge types 'read' their degree subject, when everyone else 'did' their degree subject?
  • Options
    John_M said:

tlg86 said:

Pong said:

tlg86 said:

Pong said:

None of them paid any tuition fees.

The government should pass a retrospective law to say that graduates should pay a percentage of their earned income to the government. And then send Blair a massive bill.
    Tuition fees - if implemented at all - should have been retrospective.

The current arrangements amount to a huge generational f*ck-over.
    Yes, I was fortunate enough to be in the final year before the top up fees came in. And because both of my parents were out of work (basically retired) I didn't have to pay anything in my final year (which I didn't understand as they could have just added it to my loan like everything else, but I didn't complain!).

It's another thing that makes me think we're heading for trouble. The more graduates have to pay back in fees, the less they'll have to spend on other things including housing. At some point something will have to give.
    At some point, house prices will have to fall. One of the many failings of my generation (a side effect of the increasing wealth in this country), is our propensity to assist our children in getting on the housing ladder. That's perfectly understandable, but it's served to break one of the fundamental moderators that traditionally governed the housing market.
    What goes up and all that...

http://www.doctorhousingbubble.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/japanese-home-prices.png
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Given the best universities in the country are Oxford and Cambridge (with the PPE course provided by the former but not the latter explaining its disproportionate share of PMs) it is not surprising Oxford is overrepresented in election winning MPs (though Chamberlain went to Birmingham and Brown Edinburgh albeit neither won an election). However I don't see why an election winning non-Oxbridge PM would be a defeat for the elite for example if an Eton and Bristol educated City Lawyer beat a comprehensive and Oxford educated social worker would that be a defeat for the elite? I think not.

I have heard from more than one source recently that public school pupils currently looking for university places are rejecting Oxford and Cambridge for other reasons than that they don't think they are bright enough. There may of course be a huge "they would say that, wouldn't they?" factor in this.
    Some of the brightest are certainly going to Harvard, Yale, Stanford etc but that is just swapping one set of elite universities for another in the US. In the UK Bristol, Edinburgh, Durham, Exeter and St Andrew's have long had more than their fair share of former Harrow, Eton, Westminster and Winchester pupils
  • Options

On topic, the "anti-elitist backlash" consists of elderly and middle-aged white people who don't like checks and balances that restrict their power. Farage was a commodities trader, son of a stockbroker, and Trump was a real estate tycoon, son of a real estate tycoon. They won't mind more Oxford people as long as they don't try giving rights to less powerful minorities.

And Trump went to Wharton (rated the best business school in the world, according to wikipedia). As he says in Art of the Deal, it has a high "old school tie" value: The other important thing I got from Wharton was a Wharton degree. In my opinion, that degree doesn’t prove very much, but a lot of people I do business with take it very seriously, and it’s considered very prestigious. So all things considered, I’m glad I went to Wharton.
  • Options
    Everyone says the Euro is too weak for Germany but if that was the case it should be having rabid inflation. Inflation does not seem to be a major German problem. So is the Euro too weak for Germany or is it just right for them and wrong for everyone else?
  • Options

Clearly it is time for an OU PPE wonk to have a go at being PM, rather than an Oxford PPE wonk.

Oh, and why is it that Oxbridge types 'read' their degree subject, when everyone else 'did' their degree subject?

It is like the difference between breaking wind and farting.

One sounds classier and more elegant than the other, and is a sign of excellent breeding and standards.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Because you'd sound ridiculous on University Challenge
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    May need cross checking - Labour and Copeland By-Election.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/labour-tory-candidates-for-copeland-by-election-2017-1
  • Options

And are undergraduates rather than mere students. And have double firsts instead of "did quite well in the end of year exams that no-one else ever mentions." And can buy post-graduate degrees for a hundred quid or so.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Everyone says the Euro is too weak for Germany but if that was the case it should be having rabid inflation. Inflation does not seem to be a major German problem. So is the Euro too weak for Germany or is it just right for them and wrong for everyone else?

German CPI is 1.7% vs 1.1% for the EMU, excluding the Germany EMU inflation would be around 0.6%. The monetary policy of the ECB is not suitable for Germany and their economy is showing signs of overheating.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Oxbridge conspiracy theorists would point to the storms of sneering abuse that have greeted non-Oxford leaders such as Kinnock, Major and Brown; not to mention Jeremy Corbyn. And a quick glance at wikipedia tells me Andrea Leadsom was a Warwick graduate up against Oxford's Theresa May.
    True though Major beat the Etonian and Oxford Hurd and the Shrewsbury and Oxford Heseltine. Churchill was non Oxbridge too but he was an old Harrovian which meant he still had half a foot in the door. The snobbiest of the elite see you as a full member of the club if you went to public school and Oxbridge, half a member of the club if you went to either and not in the club if you went to neither
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Betting post.

Hamon currently 200/1 for the presidency with SkyBet and - as far as i know - unquoted elsewhere, bar Betfair.

Might well be worth a punt, remembering how Fillon came through late on.

Obviously, going by the current polling the chance of an outright win for any PS candidate isn't great but it's a weak field this year and weak fields make for loose support, which in turn makes for the possibility of late and large swings.

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/816947623974371329
  • Options
    Roger said:

I actually deliberately got my subject wrong on University Challenge in order to sound like a pompous git.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

And are undergraduates rather than mere students. And have double firsts instead of "did quite well in the end of year exams that no-one else ever mentions." And can buy post-graduate degrees for a hundred quid or so.
    I'm afraid the fellows in Putney rather wish they had
    The social ease and manners of a 'varsity undergrad,
    For tho' they're awf'lly decent and up to a lark as a rule
    You want to have the 'varsity touch after a public school.

(John Betjeman)

The Oxford MA was free I think, except (nice touch!) you should tip the college porter if he collects it on your behalf.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    2025. Might be Farron if he becomes leader of the opposition in 2020. Newcastle University.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Roger said:

I actually deliberately got my subject wrong on University Challenge in order to sound like a pompous git.
    :lol:
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    MaxPB said:

German CPI is 1.7% vs 1.1% for the EMU, excluding the Germany EMU inflation would be around 0.6%. The monetary policy of the ECB is not suitable for Germany and their economy is showing signs of overheating.
    Is the monetary policy of the BoE suitable for the U.K., and if not, what's their excuse?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

(John Betjeman)

The Oxford MA was free I think, except (nice touch!) you should tip the college porter if he collects it on your behalf.
    Isn't there also some mysterious arrangement where you can get a free PhD or DPhil if you earn one from the other place?
  • Options

Roger said:

"Reading the Beano"?
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

(John Betjeman)

Isn't there also some mysterious arrangement where you can get a free PhD or DPhil if you earn one from the other place?
    Wouldn't surprise me.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. Rentool, sounds like something Roger the Dodger would do.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Ishmael_Z said:

I haven't taken my on principle that it's a joke that such a thing exists.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I have often wondered why other universities do not adopt the Oxford system of awarding a free MA after the appropriate timelag. Surely very few people are fooled into believing that the Oxford MA is a 'proper' MA!
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Of course our next two heads of state will be Cambridge/Aberystwyth and St Andrew's graduates succeeding Her Majesty, a graduate of the university of life.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Roger said:

:lol:
    Just kidding, I changed it to *avoid* sounding like a pompous git.

But to be honest I could have made something up, you are just expected to say something.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    isam said:

Excellent services PMI figure:

The closely watched Markit/CIPS services purchasing managers’ index (PMI) reached 56.2 in December, up from 55.2 in November and above economists’ forecasts of 54.7.

Careful, the remainers will be calling you a Tory
    Hey, the quote function is back.

And AFAIK Mr Nabavi IS a Tory.....
  • Options

Roger said:

You certainly know your stuff on wills and estate :D
  • Options

We used both terms at Durham, depending on who you were speaking with.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

True though Major beat the Etonian and Oxford Hurd and the Shrewsbury and Oxford Heseltine. Churchill was non Oxbridge too but he was an old Harrovian which meant he still had half a foot in the door. The snobbiest of the elite see you as a full member of the club if you went to public school and Oxbridge, half a member of the club if you went to either and not in the club if you went to neither
    In Churchill's case, being the grandson of a duke and the son of a Chancellor probably meant that he had more than half a foot in the door.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

The Oxford (With very occasional Cambridge and a couple of Edinburgh/Glasgow or none) sequence continues right back to Sir Robert Walpole.

Previous to that it seems the most important non royal position was the Lord High Treasurer, which seems to have been related to the church in the early days - (Various Bishops seemed to get the position, the first of which was Nigel of Ely...).

Before that position was created the key figure I suppose was the Archbishop of Canterbury, and that gets you back to St Augustine in ~ 600.

Given Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrew's, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow were the only universities in the UK until Durham was founded in 1832 that is not surprising
    yes and no. You forget that until 20th century, Ireland was part of the UK. Trinity, Dublin was founded in 1592.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Dublin was operating before 1832.

Edit - I see MrsB got in there first with that one.
  • Options
    Hard to believe the Telegraph is doing so badly when they cover stories like this

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/816987770405130240
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266

We used both terms at Durham, depending on who you were speaking with.
    "read" is a well recognized word for studying a degree at a university, not just Oxbridge. OED does not differentiate between places of study when the word is used, only that is a reference to academic study (e.g. presumably degree level).

I suspect it is just dying out, in the same way kids all talk about "going to uni" rather than "university" these days.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Dublin was operating before 1832.

Edit - I see MrsB got in there first with that one.
    only because my husband went there (a long time ago) and my daughter has just received her LLM from there. The ceremony was conducted entirely in Latin. They have been doing it the same way since the 17th century apparently.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,502
    edited January 2017
    For those on twitter, this is a fantastic account to follow.

https://twitter.com/newdawn1997
  • Options
    Too busy following a promotion to follow threads during the day much these days, but can I go back to the previous thread a moment?

The cracks are now showing in the Corbyn cult - and entertainingly it was Lenin McClusky who gave the worship room wall a good kicking to widen the cracks. In the party we have a rule that people can't join and vote in selection of candidates so as to stop the electorate being stuffed with supporters for an individual. Momentum have led a public call for people to join Unite to vote for Lenin because he supports Corbyn - so doing to a Labour Party affiliate something banned in the actual party.

So how funny was it to see Lenin - as the deadline for votes closes - then say "we'll need to dump Corbyn if things don't improve. Because despite the fact that headbanging Corbyn worshippers insist that all polls are rigged to the Tories and that He will lead us to a majority of 4,000 seats, the unions aren't daft. And know that getting the Tories out is more important than sticking to ideology.

Starmer is a good bet. Sane, professional, not a politician. And demolishing the Tories over their plans for Brexit (cf stage 2 of the Underpants gnomes) whilst Corbyn is literally invisible. Not a peep from Jezbollah over the ambassador. The question will be how the membership react when Corbyn resigns. They can't vote him in again, so what they do is hard to predict.

I still think it could be Diane Abbott. Someone who has literally encircled the Corbyn erm "project", a woman, BAME, and from that London so not an ignorant racist like all Labour voters are up north apparently, She ticks all the boxes. OK not the electable box but who cares about that when you have foaming dog fever as most post-15 Labour members do.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Ishmael_Z said:

(John Betjeman)

In Cambridge the MA cost £2/3 from St John's - 3 years after the BA. No study or work of any kind required. I think different colleges charged different amounts.
  • Options
    UK's lack of negotiating experience may lead to 'very hard Brexit'

Norwegian prime minister Erna Solberg says long membership of EU has left Britain without key skills for successful trade talks

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/05/uks-lack-of-negotiating-experience-may-lead-to-very-hard-brexit?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
  • Options

Roger said:

"Reading the Beano"?
    Reading 'Readers Wives'?

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Too busy following a promotion to follow threads during the day much these days, but can I go back to the previous thread a moment?

The cracks are now showing in the Corbyn cult - and entertainingly it was Lenin McClusky who gave the worship room wall a good kicking to widen the cracks. In the party we have a rule that people can't join and vote in selection of candidates so as to stop the electorate being stuffed with supporters for an individual. Momentum have led a public call for people to join Unite to vote for Lenin because he supports Corbyn - so doing to a Labour Party affiliate something banned in the actual party.

So how funny was it to see Lenin - as the deadline for votes closes - then say "we'll need to dump Corbyn if things don't improve. Because despite the fact that headbanging Corbyn worshippers insist that all polls are rigged to the Tories and that He will lead us to a majority of 4,000 seats, the unions aren't daft. And know that getting the Tories out is more important than sticking to ideology.

Starmer is a good bet. Sane, professional, not a politician. And demolishing the Tories over their plans for Brexit (cf stage 2 of the Underpants gnomes) whilst Corbyn is literally invisible. Not a peep from Jezbollah over the ambassador. The question will be how the membership react when Corbyn resigns. They can't vote him in again, so what they do is hard to predict.

I still think it could be Diane Abbott. Someone who has literally encircled the Corbyn erm "project", a woman, BAME, and from that London so not an ignorant racist like all Labour voters are up north apparently, She ticks all the boxes. OK not the electable box but who cares about that when you have foaming dog fever as most post-15 Labour members do.

Lenin?! How very creative :worried:
  • Options

Norwegian prime minister Erna Solberg says long membership of EU has left Britain without key skills for successful trade talks

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/05/uks-lack-of-negotiating-experience-may-lead-to-very-hard-brexit?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

It's ok, New Zealand has offered us their trade negotiators. They have the added benefit of not being European like us so can be trusted not to go native.
  • Options

Abbot as LOTO? Oh, Ambassador stop it, you are spoiling us!!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

MotD - Highlights of Coventry City v Woking (though the game wasn't played until 25 January). Thommo in the last minute!

https://twitter.com/newdawn1997/status/816984522277453824
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

may, could, might......

and you wonder why people dont believe politicians

• Options

Hard Brexit depends on whether May will compromise at all on free movement or EU budget contributions, the best negotiators in the world would make no difference if there is no compromise on those issues
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

may, could, might......

and you wonder why people dont believe politicians

Amazing how British business continues to thrive given we are so hopeless at negotiations.

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

In Churchill's case, being the grandson of a duke and the son of a Chancellor probably meant that he had more than half a foot in the door.
    Well that helped too
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

Congratulations, Mr Pioneer, on your promotion.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited January 2017
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

You're incorrect. I'd check again if I were you.

Edit: someone's noted TCD but you might also look at London.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

MotD - Highlights of Coventry City v Woking (though the game wasn't played until 25 January). Thommo in the last minute!

https://twitter.com/newdawn1997/status/816984522277453824
    Hah, just been sending you a message about football on the TV.
  • Options
    MrsB said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

yes and no. You forget that until 20th century, Ireland was part of the UK. Trinity, Dublin was founded in 1592.
    OK, add Trinity too, still less than ten universities before 1832 though
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Hard Brexit depends on whether May will compromise at all on free movement or EU budget contributions, the best negotiators in the world would make no difference if there is no compromise on those issues
    The real negotiation will be within her party and within the UK.

We took back control, but forgot to specify a dial and instead just have an on-off switch.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,909
    Just catching up, bloody hell those PMIs from the last couple of days are very good indeed.
  • Options

Abbot as LOTO? Oh, Ambassador stop it, you are spoiling us!!

Its a ridiculous suggestion. But the people with the vote ARE ridiculous. And she ticks all the boxes...
  • Options
    matt said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

One of the great tragedies of English history was the dissolution of Northampton's University by Henry III.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Northampton_(13th_century)
  • Options

A very good reason for leaving, surely, before we atrophy even further? And looking at Norway's arrangements with the EU I'd be disinclined to listen to their views on how to negotiate a trade agreement.
  • Options

Well done on the promotion!

Diane Abbott. Please, PLEASE can it be Diane Abbott, the most ignorant racist of the lot of them. She and McIRA are the only two who could possibly see Labour's ratings go down from Corbyn.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MrsB said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

More info on degrees: Baldwin was a Cambridge man. Bonar Law didn't go to uni.
  • Options

matt said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

One of the great tragedies of English history was the dissolution of Northampton's University by Henry III.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Northampton_(13th_century)
    I blame Brexit
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,336
    HYUFD said:

MrsB said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

LESS THAN TEN UNIVERSITIES?? LESS THAN TEN UNIVERSITIES??!!!

FEWER than ten universities.

Gah!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Diane Abbott. Please, PLEASE can it be Diane Abbott, the most ignorant racist of the lot of them. She and McIRA are the only two who could possibly see Labour's ratings go down from Corbyn.
    Yes but Diane Abbott went to Cambridge, not Oxford. Have you even read the thread header?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    HYUFD said:

MrsB said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

FEWER

Bugger, Topping got there before me.
  • Options
    matt said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

UCL was also early nineteenth century
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    HYUFD said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

You're moving towards accuracy.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Yes but Diane Abbott went to Cambridge, not Oxford. Have you even read the thread header?
    But she did read History, having a deep understanding of history ensures a person can go far in life.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    I am not exactly a revolutionary socialist but reading a table like that could make you one, it really could.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

My guess would be that McDonnell would improve Labour's ratings: he dresses better than Corbyn.
  • Options
    matt said:

HYUFD said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

The first PM was in 1721
  • Options
    Of course if we end up a with worse-than-EFTA deal with the EU, we can expect to hear:

"Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana, vi har slått dem alle sammen, vi har slått dem alle sammen! (we have beaten them all, we have beaten them all!). Maggie Thatcher, can you hear me? Maggie Thatcher ... your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!"
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Sandpit said:

My guess would be that McDonnell would improve Labour's ratings: he dresses better than Corbyn.
    He wears a better suit than Corbyn, but also has a better line in supporting terrorists than Corbyn. Tough one to call, but not sure Mrs May would be too bothered...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The real negotiation will be within her party and within the UK.

We took back control, but forgot to specify a dial and instead just have an on-off switch.
    As I have long said most likely she sets a job offer requirement for EU migrants and proposes limited EU budget contributions
  • Options

Sandpit said:

But she did read History, having a deep understanding of history ensures a person can go far in life.
    She must have skipped the classes where they looked at the history of Stalin and the Soviet Union.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    On topic, you could argue the greatest Prime Minister we never had went to Cambridge.

Ken Clarke.

A table of some general election losers makes bad reading for Oxford.

Oxford: Miliband, Hague, Callaghan (applied) Wilson (twice) Heath (three times)

Cambridge: Howard

Others: Brown, Kinnock,

NG: Major

So Oxford leads the losers table.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Of course if we end up a with worse-than-EFTA deal with the EU, we can expect to hear:

"Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana, vi har slått dem alle sammen, vi har slått dem alle sammen! (we have beaten them all, we have beaten them all!). Maggie Thatcher, can you hear me? Maggie Thatcher ... your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!"

Until the next terrorist attack on the continent and most of Albania moves to France and Germany!
  • Options

On topic, you could argue the greatest Prime Minister we never had went to Cambridge.

Ken Clarke.

Cambridge does boast the greatest Deputy Prime Minister. :)
  • Options

Ken Clarke.

why Oxford Uni is allowed to hog valuable land when we could use it for something useful like expanding the BMW plant is baffling
  • Options

Ken Clarke.

Cambridge does boast the greatest Deputy Prime Minister. :)
    Rab Butler was a top bloke, and he was born in modern day Pakistan.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

She must have skipped the classes where they looked at the history of Stalin and the Soviet Union.
    And Chairman Mao if you saw her performance on TW that time.
  • Options

Ken Clarke.

Oxford: Miliband, Hague, Callaghan (applied) Wilson (twice) Heath

Ken Clarke would have been an atrocious PM. He might even have vied with Heath for the title of worst post war PM.
  • Options
    Congratulations, Mr. Pioneer.
  • Options

Ken Clarke.

why Oxford Uni is allowed to hog valuable land when we could use it for something useful like expanding the BMW plant is baffling
    How does it hog it?
  • Options

Ken Clarke.

Ken Clarke would have been an atrocious PM. He might even have vied with Heath for the title of worst post war PM.
    William Joyce would have made a better PM than Clarke.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ken Clarke.

How does it hog it?
    all those crumbling old buildings in need of repair should be cleared out and a press plant or welding line installed

much better use of prime brown land
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

The first PM was in 1721
    Debatable.
  • Options

Ken Clarke.

Ken Clarke was so good that the Tories went for Iain Duncan Smith instead.
  • Options
    F1: technical chap who wrote that piece I linked to earlier agrees with me that the prime sufferer of Ferrari's query will not be Mercedes, but Red Bull. Seems FRIC and replacements matter most when you have an outrageous rake angle and three bucketloads of drag.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Ken Clarke.

PM Clarke would have given the Uk its greatest ever achievement as a nation - joining the Euro.

Which of course would have prevented the Iraq war, the great crash and left us in prime position to take advantage of the challenges of 2017.

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I don't think Randolph Churchill was a popular character with 'The Elite',. WLSC was a populist or celebrity politician who rode on the back of his 'war exploits' into the Commons.
  • Options

Ken Clarke.

William Joyce would have made a better PM than Clarke.
    You're talking about one of my political heroes, Ken Clarke that is, not William Joyce.
  • Options
    Thinking of University Challenge, Oxford and Cambridge ought to have primaries, to pick which team they want to send through to the competition. Or else rebrand the programme "Oxbridge College Challenge".
  • Options
    Incidentally, switched from Sky News to the BBC earlier today. Tired of the blaring vuvuzela of pessimism. No more food. No more cars. Crash. Collapse. Uncertainty. Division. Woe, woe and thrice woe!
This discussion has been closed.