Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A worrying Christmas present for TMay and the Brexiteers from

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    edited December 2016
    @JosiasJessop - Fair points, thanks for the reply. I was particularly interested with our $10trn external debt.. where'd that come from? :o

My bad, confusing external debt and public debt. Blame my Christmas 'cheer' :D
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920
    @Ishmael_Z

Trump will tire of Farage.

Not that it matters - May shouldn't trust Farage in the slightest. So it would be crazy to makg him responsible in any way for the relationship with our most important ally.
  • Options
    So this was the Last Christmas. Sad news - I hope George Michael can rest in the peace that he didn't seem to find in life.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    rkrkrk said:
    Is this the real life equivalent of Gandhi saying "my words are backed with nuclear weapons"? :p
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Morning all, hope the Christmas hangovers aren't too bad today, and that a good time was had by all yesterday.

But seriously, surely the Grim Reaper has now finished work for the year?
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    @Morris_Dancer - I hope there was a trebuchet under your tree this year! ;)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Sandpit said:

Morning all, hope the Christmas hangovers aren't too bad today, and that a good time was had by all yesterday.

Question mark still hanging over Carrie Fisher and possibly the Queen.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

I hope HM missing the service was out of a super large abundance of caution.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Carrie Fisher was reported to be on the mend yesterday, the big Q does seem more worrying though. Surely not, after everyone else that's gone this year, there isn't a big sting in the tail?
  • Options
    Mr. D, there wasn't, although I do have in mind the desktop trebuchet for my nephew when he's old enough (though I suspect it may raise the ire of his mother).

I did get a soldier's diary from 1917. Bit depressing. On a lighter note, I also got Mein Kampf*.

*Set to verse. Someone should do something similar for ISIS' deranged ramblings.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Carrie Fisher was reported to be on the mend yesterday, the big Q does seem more worrying though. Surely not, after everyone else that's gone this year, there isn't a big sting in the tail?
    As with the vast majority of the population The Queen is all I've known. It will be an enormous shock and, without getting too dramatic about it, analogous (analogous only, mind, not similar) to the inevitable death of a parent.

You can prepare all you like but the shock will be immense.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    rkrkrk said:

@Ishmael_Z

Trump will tire of Farage.

Not that it matters - May shouldn't trust Farage in the slightest. So it would be crazy to makg him responsible in any way for the relationship with our most important ally.

Yes, that is cerainly a thing which happens with favourites. But you have to work with what you've got while you've got it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

I hope HM missing the service was out of a super large abundance of caution.
    The Palace say she's 'up & about' and taking part in the rest of the festivities.....

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/the-times/concerns-grow-for-ill-queen-you-royals-cheer-crowd/news-story/72a78b5fc511506544a8505ae3f63acd
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    PB is getting far too morbid.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

As with the vast majority of the population The Queen is all I've known. It will be an enormous shock and, without getting too dramatic about it, analogous (analogous only, mind, not similar) to the inevitable death of a parent.

Yes, she has been an ever present influence in the nation for my whole life. Would be a huge shock to have anyone else. As was pointed out recently, this country doesn't tend to do national mourning, even when the media try and force it. That won't be the case for HMQ.
  • Options

RobD said:

@JosiasJessop - it wasn't a plane operated by the military? You would have thought those were in tip top condition.

The same thing applies. The Russian military has massive money problems, and the little money they have is going on the 'sexy' things - renewing bombers, new ballistic missile submarines and missiles that 'promote' the country's power. The workhorses such as the TU-154 are little regarded.

Remember, they are trying to maintain much larger forces than ours, on not much more money. For instance, they have five times the number of active personnel, six times the number of submarines and over three times the number of aircraft. Whilst they get more bang for their buck, they don't get *that* much more.

In fact, such aircraft are often disregarded in many military forces. The people at the top of the forces are all serving officers who like the exciting weapons systems and not the mundane, whilst they should be remembering that logistics is the key to all armies.

ISTR the same thing happened in Iran during their sanctions: several military transport planes fell from the sky due to maintenance issues. It's one reason they're probably so keen to sign the deal for new Boeings.

http://www.globalfirepower.com/countries-comparison-detail.asp?form=form&country1=united-kingdom&country2=russia&Submit=COMPARE
    The plane that crashed was reported to be an old type B Tu-154, rather than the newer type M which are the ones mostly still in service. It appears that they tried to turn back towards Sochi but crashed into the sea a mile short.

Sad that the flight was for entertainers going to see the Russian troops in Syria for new year, but the old Soviet planes have always been unreliable and they're not maintained to anything like western standards. RIP to the 92 on board.

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/588730-tu154-out-sochi-missing-2.html
  • Options
    tim80tim80 Posts: 99
    The reaction to this Times article by some continues the bizarre practice of treating any comments by overseas politicians or officials as gospel, while all those from U.K. politicians are assumed to be borne of either ignorance or ulterior motives.

As an aside, if Cyprus wants to further liberalise its financial sector it will need to leave the single market.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

I find this worldview utterly baffling. I realise I'm in a minority though.

When she goes I'll just have to withdraw from consuming any type of media for a couple of weeks. It will be like Diana with the volume on 11.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

When she goes I'll just have to withdraw from consuming any type of media for a couple of weeks. It will be like Diana with the volume on 11.
    No doubt you'll still enjoy the day off work. ;)
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

A rejoiner and a republican. Bloody Lib Dems
  • Options
    edited December 2016

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

You find the contention baffling that it will be a shock when someone who has been a constant presence throughout ones life, who has, via the media, come to be known probably better than one could imagine, whether with fondness or antipathy, eventually dies?

K.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Absolutely, but she's now in her nineties and the day will have to come sooner or later - not withstanding that her mother lived to be 101. The Duke of Edinburgh is 95, so HM might also have to deal with that shock when it comes too. They will celebrate their seventieth wedding anniversary next year. Seventieth!

The vast majority of Brits have never known anyone different and, despite the role being more ceremonial now, it will still be a massive shock to the country when she finally departs.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

You find the contention baffling that it will be a shock when someone who has been a constant presence throughout ones life, who has, via the media, come to be known probably better than one could imagine, whether with fondness or antipathy, eventually dies?

K.
    Sometimes I wonder whether these weirdy beardy Lib Dems live on the same planet as the rest of us. So far evidence has constantly pointed to a resounding no.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

No, because my firm will lose about £15k from unbilled fees.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    On the topic of political betting, the Betfair price on Labour to win the Copeland by-election is now 2.94. Given what we know, and that Labour are the incumbents in the seat and in opposition to the government, surely that has to be a good value price?
  • Options

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

No, because my firm will lose about £15k from unbilled fees.
    One wonders how you manage over the Christmas break.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

"I find this worldview utterly baffling"

Somehow that does nor surprise me.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

The incomprehension at what normal people think and feel is positively Pollyesque.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,029

I'm convinced the 747-400s were noisier inside than their -200 predecessors, after one suspects the accountants came after the engineers to reduce weight)

The -400 has a 40,000lb higher MTOW than the -200. Noise in the cabin is more a function of the interior fit specified by the operator.
  • Options
    The Queen would hate anything Diana-like. I don't think we'll let her down.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    I see the Grim Reaper is working overtime.

Surprised George has been claimed, I thought he was taking it easier than before.

A great talent.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Moses_ said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

The incomprehension at what normal people think and feel is positively Pollyesque.
    I owe it all to my grandmother, who as a young mother moved with her husband and firstborn from Durham to the Black Country in the 30s to find a better life. The Black Country. A better life.

Her loathing and contempt for the Royals was undimmed unto her dying day.
  • Options

The Queen would hate anything Diana-like. I don't think we'll let her down.

The media will take their opportunity to whip up a frenzy. I think they are getting jealous that we've not had one here while Europe has had a dozen or so.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Moses_ said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

I owe it all to my grandmother, who as a young mother moved with her husband and firstborn from Durham to the Black Country in the 30s to find a better life. The Black Country. A better life.

I don't see what one has to do with the other.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Merry Christmas everyone. Been a really busy and fun day. Hope everyone been enjoying themselves.

There was a comment on here some months ago which said if the City needed protection it would not be the City and I think that was right. The City will face new challenges and competition but for a very long time it has been taking on such challenges and winning. I am not sure why it would not do that again.

I have no doubt that - in the longer term - the City will flourish. But I think we are suffering from the psychological flaw of attributing our success solely to our ability, and not giving weight to a great big chunk of luck.

In 1985, European finance was multi-polar. British merchant banks served British savers and British business from London. The same was true of Paris and France, Stockholm and Sweden, Frankfurt and Germany.

Two things happened: one, the Eurobond market (and we were the guys to spoke English); two, everywhere deregulated, and our firms were much easier to snap up by the Americans as they were small.

Result, London became the European financial capital. It's all too easy to think there is something in our DNA that made us successful, rather than a lucky accident of history.
    That is all true and I am certainly not seeking to claim British exceptionalism for such an international business that is mainly foreign owned. But we have English, the right time zone, a very, very deep well of expertise, the infrastructure and a legal system that is respected throughout the world. That is quite a combination and the idea that America is going to be able to seize the bit they don't already own (and already choose to trade here) is a bit silly.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Moses_ said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Plenty of people won't miss an episode of X-Factor, think Harry Potter is great literature, and support Tottenham Hotspur.

Not views I share. But I don't find it baffling.

Apart from THFC obvs..
  • Options
    @MaxPB - I don't think there'll be a frenzy. It will be too big a national moment for that. We'll all be quietly stunned and a bit lost, I imagine. There'll be acres of coverage, of course, but by and large coverage will be restrained, not sensational. Expect plenty of wither Britain pieces, at home and abroad. And Australia and New Zealand will become republics.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Ref Trump's commerce aide. We may have a number of friends in Congress who would look kindly on a trade deal with the UK but American business men are very aggressive and take no prisoners. They regards being a millionaire as being inadequate compared with being a billionaire. Remember that after WW11 the Americans dismantled weakened Britain's trade preferences to improve their own trade chances. American businessmen regard anyone who takes business away from the as "taking the bread from our mouths". As best we can expect the USA to be a friendly but hard competitor.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    Sandpit said:

On the topic of political betting, the Betfair price on Labour to win the Copeland by-election is now 2.94. Given what we know, and that Labour are the incumbents in the seat and in opposition to the government, surely that has to be a good value price?

With a worry about the Labour candidate I think you are probably right. I reckon Labour need to find a local who loves nuclear power and weapons, who voted remain but respects the referendum result and hasn't spent 30 years sucking up to the IRA. Can they do that?

If they can I guess that the campaign will be a bit of a non-event due to simply how hard he constituency is to get to and travel around. Labours historic strength should be enough.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,897
    edited December 2016
    How I was touched by the life and death of Rick Parfitt.....

I was working at Bray studios shooting for Volvo. At an adjoining studio Status Quo were rehearsing for their forhcoming world tour. After a week our shoot ended and as we said our goodbyes my very attractive Californian PA asked if I fancied going to the bar for a drink.

As we wondered past the studios on a glorious sunny evening we came upon Parfitt leaning on a VW Beetle. My Californian date said 'hey Californian number plates....' He turned round and they got into a deep and meaningful conversation about VW Beetles and California.....

After five to ten minutes I realized I was surplus to requirements and mumbled that I'd make my way to the bar. I glanced round once to see them leaning against his VW Beetle with the yellowing sun setting behind them.

That was the last time I ever saw or heard from my Californian PA
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

See the Christmas Eve thread on Copeland.

My own view is yes, that is probably a good price but I shan't be tying up money for an indefinite period for a price I could easily find in this afternoon's horseracing.
  • Options
    @Topping - supporting Spurs is not a choice. Your Dad makes you do it and you just have to live with it as an affliction for the rest of your life.
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    Sandpit said:

It is what we DON'T know that makes this price extraordinarily good value.

We don't yet know who the candidates will be.

We don't when the election will take place - it could be as late as May.

If the election does take place in April/May it is likely to be against the backdrop of the early stages of Brexit negotiations which will probably be the most difficult part of the negotiating process for TMay as both sides set out their stance before eventually agreeing on some sort of compromise further down the line.

At this stage it is very much a 50/50 toss-up imo.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    When the Queen pops her clogs, it will be a sad day, but the media frenzy is likely to be unsurpassed.

The Michael Jackson tributes were wall to wall. I remember switching on the telly two weeks later and the news channels were still dominated by the big news - he was still dead.

No, the news would be if he'd come back to life.

And that was less than with Diana. Although there were conspiracy theories there to keep things going.

But it guarantees viewers, so that's it.

Perhaps a day with some programmes to reflect on her life by the BBC might be appropriate but there's no chance of just that.
  • Options

@MaxPB - I don't think there'll be a frenzy. It will be too big a national moment for that. We'll all be quietly stunned and a bit lost, I imagine. There'll be acres of coverage, of course, but by and large coverage will be restrained, not sensational. Expect plenty of wither Britain pieces, at home and abroad. And Australia and New Zealand will become republics.

I think that's why Charles will be shuffled on relatively quickly. Wills and Kate will probably be able to keep the realm intact. Charles still has the cloud of Diana hanging over him.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    @Roger : That's a great anecdote.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I think that's why Charles will be shuffled on relatively quickly. Wills and Kate will probably be able to keep the realm intact. Charles still has the cloud of Diana hanging over him.
    Not going to happen. Charles will reign until he too dies.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    There is a general problem of premature pessimism about Brexit - Remain ramped up Project Fear so much that the minor effects of withdrawal so far have made most people feel it's not a problem and all working out OK. I don't think we should take anything Trump or his team say seriously at this stage - none of us have much idea what he'll actually do - but the underlying issue that we are heading for stormy waters remains valid.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Then we will see Canada leave the realm, at least. Probably Australia and New Zealand too if Canada don't fuck up with a direct elected president.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    The Queen is the last institutional living link to pre-Suez glory. Breaking that link will inevitably be traumatic.
  • Options
    Incidentally, I wonder where the report of a May-Boris argument in the latter part of the article come from. If it's Boris's team - and I can't see why May's team should think it useful - it will shorten May's tolerance of Boris further that he's gone public with this fairly open criticism. He must be fair odds in the "first out" stakes.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Then we will see Canada leave the realm, at least. Probably Australia and New Zealand too if Canada don't fuck up with a direct elected president.
    Maybe maybe not. The monarchy is not expedient.
  • Options
    I was surprised how people reacted to the death of Diana. A taxi driver told me about the crash whilst I was returning from a club in the early hours, and once I got home I put on the news and watched avidly. But a few hours after it was announced she had died, I'd gone from shock to apathy.

My then-GF had a German father, and he was gutted for days.

Yet I'd call myself a monarchist, and he was a staunch republican. Diana's death seemed personal for so many people, as if she embodied so much more than the monarchy.

The Queen will be a different matter. She has been an ever-present factor in my life, even if indirectly. Someone who I've always known of, from the Jubilee when I was four onwards. As I've got to know more about her, the more I've grown to respect her.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    @JosiasJessop - August 31 is my dad's birthday, and to this day he reminds us that Diana ruined his birthday!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

@JosiasJessop - August 31 is my dad's birthday, and to this day he reminds us that Diana ruined his birthday!

Heh, mine too.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

I think Oz leaving is inevitable in the long term.

However I think Charles will be a very hands-off monarch, and will leave much of the PR work to his sons and grandchildren. After all, he's hardly a spring chicken himself.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Heh, mine too.
    So being the youngest in the year didn't hold you back. My dad moans about that too!
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    BudG said:

Sandpit said:

If the election does take place in April/May it is likely to be against the backdrop of the early stages of Brexit negotiations which will probably be the most difficult part of the negotiating process for TMay as both sides set out their stance before eventually agreeing on some sort of compromise further down the line.

Yes, that was my thinking too. It should be 50/50 at this stage, if not Labour as favourites - so almost 2/1 is value.

Yes, I'm assuming they end up picking the union rep form Sellafield rather than a CND protestor from Islington - that assumption is the tricky one!!
  • Options
    Roger said:

How I was touched by the life and death of Rick Parfitt.....

I was working at Bray studios shooting for Volvo. At an adjoining studio Status Quo were rehearsing for their forhcoming world tour. After a week our shoot ended and as we said our goodbyes my very attractive Californian PA asked if I fancied going to the bar for a drink.

As we wondered past the studios on a glorious sunny evening we came upon Parfitt leaning on a VW Beetle. My Californian date said 'hey Californian number plates....' He turned round and they got into a deep and meaningful conversation about VW Beetles and California.....

After five to ten minutes I realized I was surplus to requirements and mumbled that I'd make my way to the bar. I glanced round once to see them leaning against his VW Beetle with the yellowing sun setting behind them.

That was the last time I ever saw or heard from my Californian PA

Ha, that's a great anecdote! i think it's fair to say that Mr Parfitt enjoyed his life to the full.
  • Options
    On the Queen, I think she does the job well and I'll be sorry when she goes, but as with even close relatives over 90, or indeed ourselves at that age, I think most of us feel a bit philosophical about eventual death. It's not a matter of being a monarchist or republican, just that these things aren't really a shock.

But it's probably true that we vary a lot in how involved we feel with the monarchy. It's years since I did more than glance at any story about them, and e.g. the reference downthread to Prince George is rather obscure to me. I think most people feel a vague affection for the Queen and they're quite keen on Harry, but I'm not sure that everyone follows all the clan closely. Maybe wrong though - is there any polling on it?
  • Options
    J Jessop said [9.38am] I think Charles will be a very hands-off monarch, and will leave much of the PR work to his sons and grandchildren.

The model of course is Edward VII who wasn't exactly a popular Prince of Wales, either.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    David Jack
    On this day in 1991 the Supreme Soviet of the Soviet Union met and formally dissolved the Soviet Union https://t.co/kblONOGsmK
  • Options

plenty of wither Britain pieces

Sigmund and his slips..
  • Options
    I found the fuss about Diana weird and just a little embarrassing. I was sorry for her sons but other than that it really didn't bother me at all and I found it all rather mawkish. Seriously good send off at the funeral though, I did watch a fair bit of that.

The Queen was the Queen for many years before my birth and I am in my mid 50s. My wife was watching a program called the Queen at 90 or something like that just before Christmas and the casual way she talked about the 1930s when watching home video brought it home to me that she is an important link to our past as a nation, a continuous thread through all the changes the last 90 years have brought. When she goes a very important link to that war generation and the post war generation will be lost. We will not be the same.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429
    The interesting thing I recall about the Diana fuss was that it actually took a few days to build, following the initial shock of the news.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    tlg86 said:

I will always remember that day but not because of Diana but because it was the day I discovered that I was pregnant with my third child. I was awake early and while I was waiting for the little line to turn blue I switched on the radio which was tuned to the World Service and heard part of a documentary on Diana, which I thought was just filler. It was only later when the news came on that I realised why it had been on.

But I was far too excited about my own news and also the preparations for my daughter's third birthday to care that much.

Britain seemed to have gone mad in those days: all those makeshift shrines and candles all over the place. It was as if a lot of very devout elderly Southern Italian women had taken over central London.....
  • Options
    A Happy Christmas to all PBers.
  • Options
    So does this story amount to anything more than countries tend to put their own interest first ?

Perhaps Britain can now do likewise instead of the guilt ridden cringe we had under Cameron.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited December 2016

So does this story amount to anything more than countries tend to put their own interest first ?

Perhaps Britain can now do likewise instead of the guilt ridden cringe we had under Cameron.

It's not even that. The speech was from before he was Commerce Secretary.

It amounts to "Rich businessmen lobbies small country to change their rules and allow businessman to become even richer"
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    DavidL said:

I found the fuss about Diana weird and just a little embarrassing. I was sorry for her sons but other than that it really didn't bother me at all and I found it all rather mawkish. Seriously good send off at the funeral though, I did watch a fair bit of that.

The Queen was the Queen for many years before my birth and I am in my mid 50s. My wife was watching a program called the Queen at 90 or something like that just before Christmas and the casual way she talked about the 1930s when watching home video brought it home to me that she is an important link to our past as a nation, a continuous thread through all the changes the last 90 years have brought. When she goes a very important link to that war generation and the post war generation will be lost. We will not be the same.

That i sputting it mildly david, it was like a bad joke all the idiots trying to make their lives less pathetic through the death of someone they did not know, It will indeed though be different story with the Queen but as Nick says , she is over 90 had a rather good life and still fit and well, not much to be sad about there, though she will be missed.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    Charles said:

It amounts to "Rich businessmen lobbies small country to change their rules and allow businessman to become even richer"
    Strange that it was deemed important enough to be a header.. Do you think it would have been had it been positive news about Brexit?
  • Options
    I may be wrong, but I think Canada is unlikely to dump the monarchy. Having been there a few times over the last year my sense is that the Canadians (outside Quebec) like it as an institution; in part, at least, because it is a major differentiator with the US.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Another reason to stay in the EU, there are so many that are logical and wise. Anything else is irrational.
  • Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

Strange that it was deemed important enough to be a header.. Do you think it would have been had it been positive news about Brexit?
    Perhaps we'll see a thread for this from Mervyn King:

' Lord King, the former governor of the Bank of England, has said that the UK should be "self-confident" about leaving the European Union.

He said there were "real opportunities" for economic reform and new trade deals which meant Brexit could be a success.

Lord King suggested that Britain would be better off economically completely out of the EU single market and that there were "question marks" about staying in the customs union as that may constrain the government's ability to sign trade deals with countries outside the Union. '

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38421769
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38421769 - Lord King says Brexit brings real opportunities, it would make no sense to stay in the Single Market, and there are "question marks" about staying in the Customs Union.

Cue Remnants explaining why he doesn't count as an expert.

Merry Boxing Day all.
  • Options
    @isam - the views of the man who is going to run US economic policy are pretty important. He will be America's negotiator in chief if there is a deal to be done.
  • Options
    Labour at 2.92 to win Copeland:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics/market/1.128848952

That looks very good value to me.

• Options
    Lord King expertly missed all the warning signs of the impending financial crash back in 07/08, of course :-)
  • Options

I may be wrong, but I think Canada is unlikely to dump the monarchy. Having been there a few times over the last year my sense is that the Canadians (outside Quebec) like it as an institution; in part, at least, because it is a major differentiator with the US.

Isn't their communist dictator a republican?
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    Charles said:

Merry Christmas everyone

Charles, does your last quote inadvertently sum up how we should view the forthcoming Trump administration?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Essexit said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38421769 - Lord King says Brexit brings real opportunities, it would make no sense to stay in the Single Market, and there are "question marks" about staying in the Customs Union.

Cue Remnants explaining why he doesn't count as an expert.

Given that Mervyn King thinks there was nothing political at all about the European project until the creation of the Euro, I'd say that no, he doesn't count as an expert.
  • Options
    theakes said:

Another reason to stay in the EU, there are so many that are logical and wise. Anything else is irrational.

You lost that argument six months ago.
  • Options

Lord King expertly missed all the warning signs of the impending financial crash back in 07/08, of course :-)

So did the entire British political and economic establishment.

Most amusingly George Osborne - who was still yachting with Russian oligarchs and Rothschilds six months AFTER the recession had begun.
  • Options

I'll give him expert status but from the snippet I heard this morning it was more like of course it will be difficult but it would be wrong to say we won't try to make a go of it.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

AIUI he didn't miss them but the Bank had no power or oversight in capital reserves or leverage so just left it to the FSA who bungled it. It actually happened exactly as Peter Lilley said it would. That's wrt Northern Rock anyway.
  • Options

@isam - the views of the man who is going to run US economic policy are pretty important. He will be America's negotiator in chief if there is a deal to be done.

To be fair, I don't know why I even bothered to post that. The people who write the site are pro EU and it should be expected that they highlight the negatives and ignore the positives of leaving it, they don't have to be impartial.
  • Options

Charles said:

Merry Christmas everyone

Charles, does your last quote inadvertently sum up how we should view the forthcoming Trump administration?
    That would be no change from previous US administrations.
  • Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

I think the Times has decided their market positioning and is framing their contents accordingly.
  • Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

I think the Times has decided their market positioning and is framing their contents accordingly.
    The Times supported Remain so its no surprise they've continued to predict disaster.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

Sorry , I meant on here not The Times... seemed a bit gossipy/rumour to be a thread on Christmas Day, but I guess some people thought it was worth it.
  • Options

Charles said:

Merry Christmas everyone

No. I think he is going to revert to traditional American policy: nakedly self-interested (America not personal) - he will work with anyone where it makes sense for the US. Ivdobt think he's very interested in international relations in theory.

My guess is he will push hard against China because they are a threat; Russia he doesn't care about so will accept spheres of influence; Europe will be largely ignored. The UK will get support - and a trade deal - because they will see an opportunity to get better terms today than in 5 years and because they value our expertise and contacts with countries where the US is less well placed.
  • Options
    isam said:

To be fair, I don't know why I even bothered to post that. The people who write the site are pro EU and it should be expected that they highlight the negatives and ignore the positives of leaving it, they don't have to be impartial.
    And the promised @Cyclefree header got bumped for this crap.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

That i sputting it mildly david, it was like a bad joke all the idiots trying to make their lives less pathetic through the death of someone they did not know, It will indeed though be different story with the Queen but as Nick says , she is over 90 had a rather good life and still fit and well, not much to be sad about there, though she will be missed.
    I'd like to say it was just those weird and emotional London folk Malcolm but even up here there seemed to be a lot of apparently genuine distress. Strange times.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited December 2016
    Sandpit said:

BudG said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, that was my thinking too. It should be 50/50 at this stage, if not Labour as favourites - so almost 2/1 is value.

Yes, I'm assuming they end up picking the union rep form Sellafield rather than a CND protestor from Islington - that assumption is the tricky one!!
    I have pointed out a couple of times that under Jezza there is no parachuting. He allows constituency parties to pick local candidates, whether safe or no hoper seats. I amsure that we will see a local candidate in Copeland too, which does not seem to be a hive of Momentum activists.

Possibly this is just Jezza being a bit useless at parachuting in his followers, but I am not sure. I suspect it is a genuine commitment to local selections.
  • Options

Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

The Times supported Remain so its no surprise they've continued to predict disaster.
    I don't think one follows from the other. they both are results of the same cause.
  • Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

Sorry , I meant on here not The Times... seemed a bit gossipy/rumour to be a thread on Christmas Day, but I guess some people thought it was worth it.
    To be fair it's quick to grab a screen shot & I can imagine TSE had better thinks to do than write a thoughtful piece on Christmas Day.
  • Options

In fairness he was very far from alone in doing so and even now some like to think that Brown was not criminally negligent. But yes, his record as Governor is nothing to be proud of in retrospect.
  • Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

To be fair it's quick to grab a screen shot & I can imagine TSE had better thinks to do than write a thoughtful piece on Christmas Day.
    Cheap shot for you, Charles.
This discussion has been closed.