Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Harry Hayfield’s PB local elections special

13»

Comments

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    MrJones said:

http://crashbangwallace.com/2013/04/03/philpott-case-dont-ignore-the-criminal-justice-systems-responsibility/

"In 1978, Philpott’s fiancée dumped him. In response, he broke into her house at night and stabbed her 27 times, slitting open her stomach and telling her: “If I can’t have you, no one will”. He then turned the knife on her mother and left the two of them for dead.

He was caught and convicted – and sentenced to seven years in jail."

Truly horrific. If he had been put away for decades then, as he should have, those six children would still be alive.

The best way to prevent crime is not to let the criminally-minded out of jail for a very long time.
  • Options
    StickytrollStickytroll Posts: 30
    edited April 2013
    Socrates said:

MrJones said:

http://crashbangwallace.com/2013/04/03/philpott-case-dont-ignore-the-criminal-justice-systems-responsibility/

"In 1978, Philpott’s fiancée dumped him. In response, he broke into her house at night and stabbed her 27 times, slitting open her stomach and telling her: “If I can’t have you, no one will”. He then turned the knife on her mother and left the two of them for dead.

Truly horrific. If he had been put away for decades then, as he should have, those six children would still be alive.

The best way to prevent crime is not to let the criminally-minded out of jail for a very long time.
    If he had been in prison for decades then the children wouldn't have been produced in the first place.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Looking at the Mirror coverage of the Osbo disabled parking story and it's hard to accept the explanation that he didn't know. The space is very clearly marked with criss-crossed yellow painted lines on either side.

This is not the sort of disabled bay you park in by mistake.

Very foolish.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/george-osborne-parking-disabled-space-1812540
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited April 2013
    Hmm, very foolish to not be in a police car driven by your police protection officer when he parks in a disabled bay while Osborne had just got dropped off to go get the Maccie D on their way back from Wales? Honestly, that was foolish??!! Sorry Mike, that is really desperate spinning there. Lets face it, Osborne has had a very good week and the Daily Mirror know this and have gone big on their front page in an attempt to undermine him. Its well worth noting that both Cameron and Osborne have got the left very worried, and that is definitely worthy of a political debate.

The No10/11 press operation has seen a dramatic improvement since around the time the budget was delivered. Just look at tonight's news where both Cameron and Osborne featured in the headlines. And no one is talking about that budget, job done. And its equally striking that Labour and the Libdems are simple no where in the news. This Mirror story is a really desperate attempt to try to divert argument back to previous Lab stance on cuts. And its akin to trying to blame the passenger who was in a shop while the driver was caught speeding in the car park, it just doesn't bare scrutiny.

Very powerful Daily Mail Editorial.
    Daily Mail - Once again, the Left censors vital debate

Was tempted to add, oh look, there is a squirrel who was not in the car while a police protection officer parked it in a disabled parking space. But since he then climbed into the car before it was then driven away, its must be his fault that he didn't notice this.

The SNP tried to boast today that they got over a hundred new members on the back of the Cameron visit to Scotland. They totally missed the irony of the fact that Cameron on the other hand was making a commitment to the thousands of Scots and their local economies who are totally reliant on Defence jobs generated from Westminster. How could we forget Salmond/Robertson campaign in Moray to protect the two RAF bases there and the local communities. Why doesn't the SNP want to talk about how they replace this at Rosyth etc?

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

If he had been in prison for decades then the children wouldn't have been produced in the first place.

Either way it wouldn't have happened.

• Options
    redcliffe62redcliffe62 Posts: 342

Socrates said:

MrJones said:

Clearly the 7 years and then being released was the problem.
    Had he been in the States or Saudi Arabia then it would not have happened as he would not be out until he was 90 at the earliest.

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited April 2013
    fitalass said:

Sorry Mike, that is really desperate spinning there.

Bold words from PB's leading anti-tipster and the most hilariously oblivious and obsequious Cameroon spinner on here.
    fitalass said:

Lets face it, Osborne has had a very good week

Don't you mean 'near perfect'?

*tears of laughter etc.*
    fitalass said:

The No10/11 press operation has seen a dramatic improvement since around the time the budget was delivered.

If your head perhaps wherein there plays a constant loop of Cammie and Osbrowne receiving the fawning adulation of millions, but not in the real word.
    fitalass said:

The SNP tried to boast today that they got over a hundred new members on the back of the Cameron visit to Scotland.

That's because unlike the scottish tories we enjoy getting new members, supporters, activists and voters. It's what helped us win a landslide in the scottish elections and win the 2012 local elections while the tories under Cammie's placewoman Ruth lost 20 per cent of their councillors, saw their vote fall to 13.31 per cent and local representation cut dramatically and even wiped out in some areas.

Sorry to confuse and upset you with the hard facts from the real world but it's unavoidable. :D

• Options
    fitalass said:

The SNP tried to boast today that they got over a hundred new members on the back of the Cameron visit to Scotland.

That's because unlike the scottish tories we enjoy getting new members, supporters, activists and voters. It's what helped us win a landslide in the scottish elections and win the 2012 local elections while the tories under Cammie's placewoman Ruth lost 20 per cent of their councillors, saw their vote fall to 13.31 per cent and local representation cut dramatically and even wiped out in some areas.

Sorry to confuse and upset you with the hard facts from the real world but it's unavoidable. :D

I read it was 109 members, but nor sure how much is to do with Cameron and how many join on any other Cammie-free day.

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    @fitalass You are the one that is spinning and your defence is despicable.

Maybe it's because of the personal circumstances of my family but flagrantlly disregarding the disabled parking rules is one thing that really gets to me.

Sticking to rules such as those on disabled parking are what makes us a decent society. Osborne has failed.

His allowing his driver to go into what is a very clearly marked space suggests an arrogant sense of entitlement which doesn't fit well with with how your party tries to present itself.

Any politician of any party would incur similar level of condemnation from me. If it had been a senior LD I would have been calling for a sacking.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

glassfet said:

@MShapland: This strategy is fair enough I think actually, most people don't pay attention to policies till about the week before the election (Certainly not what the opposition would do) at any rate, I assume Labour's solutions will be pretty crap also so they may as well delay thm as long as possible.

Pulpstar, I have to disagree when it comes to a fixed term Parliamentary election such as we have in place this time around at Westminster. I think that the electorate really begin to focus on the issues surrounding an election about six months out as the media and the parties gear up for it if what we see at Holyrood is any guide to this. If the Labour party have not got their act together as an Opposition party in the next eighteen months, they are not going to be able to be able to sell their message in the last six months of the campaign. Check out the polling in run up to last Holyrood elections.

• Options
    edited April 2013

I read it was 109 members, but nor sure how much is to do with Cameron and how many join on any other Cammie-free day

At a time when the rest are continually losing members daily it would show staggering complacency to be anything other than grateful and welcoming to a new influx of members. Complaceny the scottish tories should be well used to by now after their atrocious 2012 local election result.

Cammie is pure poison for the No campaign and the dwindling scottish tories.
    You know it, I know it, anyone who understands scottish politics knows it.
    Even the likes of SLAB and Lamont know it and that's saying something.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    'Sticking to rules such as those on disabled parking are what makes us a decent society. Osborne has failed.

His allowing his driver to go into what is a very clearly marked space suggests an arrogant sense of entitlement which doesn't fit well with with how your party tries to present itself.

Any politician of any party would incur similar level of condemnation from me. If it had been a senior LD I would have been calling for a sacking.'

Apparently, just questioning the Mirror story and their version of events means that I am spinning and my defence is despicable. Last night I was described as being a 'vile human being who was drooling over the deaths of patients' for bringing up the Stafford Hospital Scandal when some raised an NHS satisfaction poll. I see where this site is now going when it comes to debate.
    BBC - George Osborne 'unaware' his car was parked in disabled bay
    Iain Dale's Blog - And This is What Political Journalism Has Been Reduced To...
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    @MikeSmithson Osbrowne wasn't on a bus. (imagine it!) The driver goes where Osborne tells him, not the other way around. That's what the driver gets paid for.

It was spotted by the person some way away from Osborne with a camera easily enough, so there is no excuse whatsoever that Osborne had some ludicrous and 'convenient' fit of blindness and couldn't tell that the huge disabled parking sign his car was parking in wasn't there.

Osborne is an arrogant and incompetent toxic liability. He always was and he always will be
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    MrsB said:

Haven't been around much this week. What's all this about John Loony joining the Conservative party? Has it been discussed on here?
    http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/news/10333327.Monster_Raving_Loony_becomes_a_Conservative/

I announced it at the start of Monday 1st April. I announced it at the beginning of this thread:
    http://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/04/01/its-bank-holiday-monday-and-that-means-bbc-parliament-is-running-a-past-general-election-programme-this-time-from-1983/#vanilla-comments
    and also on my website and Twitter.

For some reason it was all very quiet on Monday (presumably because it was a bank holiday) and then got lots more responses on Tuesday.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited April 2013

@fitalass You are the one that is spinning and your defence is despicable.

Maybe it's because of the personal circumstances of my family but flagrantlly disregarding the disabled parking rules is one thing that really gets to me.

Sticking to rules such as those on disabled parking are what makes us a decent society. Osborne has failed.

Any politician of any party would incur similar level of condemnation from me. If it had been a senior LD I would have been calling for a sacking.

I fear your loathing of Osborne is getting the better of you – what a ridiculous thing to get over excited about. – Yet Chris Huhne, not a peep.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

How did Osborne "allow" it if he wasn't in the car at the time?

@MediaGuido: Mirror gives front page entirely over to a copper parking in disabled bay, ignores a six times child killer being sentenced. Mirror values.

And it seems some here.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

'Sticking to rules such as those on disabled parking are what makes us a decent society. Osborne has failed.

Any politician of any party would incur similar level of condemnation from me. If it had been a senior LD I would have been calling for a sacking.'

Apparently, just questioning the Mirror story and their version of events means that I am spinning and my defence is despicable. Last night I was described as being a 'vile human being who was drooling over the deaths of patients' for bringing up the Stafford Hospital Scandal when some raised an NHS satisfaction poll. I see where this site is now going when it comes to debate.
    BBC - George Osborne 'unaware' his car was parked in disabled bay
    Iain Dale's Blog - And This is What Political Journalism Has Been Reduced To...

The photo does suggest it is obvious it is a disabled spot. That is all I know. To say he was unaware is pushing it. For someone with eyesight anyay.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    edited April 2013
    When people have finished arguing about whether Osborne should or should not have parked in a disabled bay ..... of course he shouldn't and his driver should have had a lot more sense .... has anyone any idea of how last night turned out electorally?
  • Options
    @redcliffe62

"To say he was unaware is pushing it. For someone with eyesight anyay."

This is beyond silly. Osborne was not in the car when it was parked. How can we be sure? The Mirror does not have a photo of him getting out. It's possible they take random photos of every car parked in disabled spots, but more likely they have a photographer following the Chancellor and the shot of him getting out of the car does not show it in a disabled spot...

When Osborne returns to the vehicle, he can either get in so they can drive away, or he can insist the driver moves the car before he gets in so they can er, move the car, and drive away.

Which would you do?
  • Options

When people have finished arguing about whether Osborne should or should not have parked in a disabled bay ..... of course he shouldn't

He didn't. He wasn't driving. How do you park a car you aren't driving?
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Latest YouGov / The Sun results 4th April - CON 30%, LAB 42%, LD 11%, UKIP 12%; APP -33
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    Osborne's car should not have been parked in a disabled spot.

But this is hardly 'perverting the course of justice'.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    More YouGov

Is Lead by People of Real Ability:
    Labour Voters say: 45% Labour; 41% None of them.

Is prepared to make tough and unpopular decisions:
    Labour Voters say: 37% Cons; 26% LAB; 3% LD: 22% None; 11% DK
  • Options
    Osborne's car should not have been parked in a disabled spot.

A car, that Osborne wasn't driving, or in, should not have been parked in a disabled spot.

I expect he will resign today.
  • Options

">Osborne's car should not have been parked in a disabled spot.

But this is hardly 'perverting the course of justice'.

Lol - good to see someone in the family with a sense of proportion. To hear pork and Smithson whining about this you'd think there was no real news this week. Osborne clearly got the loony leftards rattled. Maybe Clegg should use it as the basis for decoupling:)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Scott_P said:

@redcliffe62

"To say he was unaware is pushing it. For someone with eyesight anyway."

This is beyond silly. Osborne was not in the car when it was parked. How can we be sure? The Mirror does not have a photo of him getting out. It's possible they take random photos of every car parked in disabled spots, but more likely they have a photographer following the Chancellor and the shot of him getting out of the car does not show it in a disabled spot...

When Osborne returns to the vehicle, he can either get in so they can drive away, or he can insist the driver moves the car before he gets in so they can er, move the car, and drive away.

Which would you do?

Thankyou Scott P for the alternative close, neither which answers the question at hand.

Not that this is that relevant except to Mike who has family links with disability but I am disabled too and chose not to take a car badge for a car spot which is limited as I felt others are far worse off than me as I can still get around. Regret it sometimes but it irrationally makes me feel good inside.

Making it simple Scott P, I chose not to and yet I am entitled to, yet "he" just drove in and did not give two s****.

Can you understand the hypocrisy? If the driver says he was elsewhere when he dropped him off then prove it with c.c. tv. (Cammie probably has it by now anyway after the previous fiasco.) As he REVERSED in I suspect he was there for some time.

If just picking someone up for 2 secs and not waiting there illegally then would you not simply go from the other space, pick up and then reverse out? I know I would, as would most people?

Rather like Huhne, the issue is not the event itself but the changing story around it which may eventuate.

• Options
    @redcliffe62

"Can you understand the hypocrisy?"

What hypocrisy?

A car, that Osborne was not in, driven by someone who was not Osborne, was badly parked.

How exactly is that Osborne's problem?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    After dropping off a passenger, an unmarked police land Rover, driven by a police security officer, parks in a disabled parking space.

So you lambast the passenger for allowing this to happen, even though the passenger was in a restaurant at the time and not actually in the vehicle.

Truly ridiculous - Your loathing of Osborne has got the better of you on this occasion.
  • Options
    It all makes sense now.

Osborne should never get in a car again in case the person driving it parks badly when he is not there.

Only an out of touch elitist would let someone else park a car.

Osborne has really, really got the Leftards rattled this week. Awesome.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    The don't mention the Huhne yellow drIrving gestapo are on the wind up.

And people wonder why this pub is empty....
  • Options
    It seriously provides an insight into how the left are terrified by any attacks on the welfare culture which they've used to garner votes. Bringing out the 'disabled' card is a desperate and rather demeaning attempt to do anything but debate the real issues facing the country.
  • Options
    "stories like this just play directly to a generally held view. "

That the left are so desperate to talk about anything except Philpott that a story about a civil service driver parking badly is a sure sign they have nothing better to say. Fair enough.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It all makes sense now.

Osborne should never get in a car again in case the person driving it parks badly when he is not there.

Only an out of touch elitist would let someone else park a car.

Osborne has really, really got the Leftards rattled this week. Awesome.

What happens if it turns out Osborne was dropped off in the disabled parking spot? CCTV may end his career if that turns out to be true.

Easier to admit he was a fop and just treated it with disdain IF that is the truth.

This still has some time to play and the Mirror may have more info than they are letting on.

If Osborne is sure car was moved then fair enough he has been unlucky. But prove it to add credibility as nobody believes him at the mo.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    @MrsB.

"What's all this about John Loony joining the Conservative party? Has it been discussed on here?"

Yes. The big question that senior Tories are grappling with is will he be able to carry his 111 voters with him to his new party.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,128
    LOL

I believe I just heard Jeremy Warner getting demolished on the Today program re a 'living wage'.

With Warner desperately babbling about Henry Ford at the end.

Let me explain to Warner, tim and any other 'pay ourselves more' demander:

Henry Ford was able to pay his workers well because they were world leaders in productivity and so his workers earned their high pay.

High pay is good provided you have a high skilled, high productivity, high value added workforce.

Britain doesn't.

British productivity is falling and the jobs we create tend to be low skilled low productivity low value added consumer service based.

Meanwhile a living wage will immediately increase low skilled immigration - which would make the UK workforce lower skilled on average.

While all the time Britain is steadily being overtaken for low cost, low tax, low regulation competitors which are moving up the skill / productivity / value added ladder.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,965
    scampi said:

It seriously provides an insight into how the left are terrified by any attacks on the welfare culture which they've used to garner votes. Bringing out the 'disabled' card is a desperate and rather demeaning attempt to do anything but debate the real issues facing the country.

A real issue facing thousands of disabled people in the country is that this week they have lost significant financial support from the state. We could discuss that, but funnily enough when the subject is raised on here no-one wants to address it. Right-wing posters would prefer to focus on the depraved actions of a child killer.

• Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    NEW THREAD
  • Options

CCTV may end his career if that turns out to be true.

Not taking money on a boat did not end his career,

Buying a train ticket did not end his career.

Getting out of a car is not going to end his career.

Care to wager?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,128
    What Britain increasingly resembles is an old drunkard who is continually asking for free drinks on the rationale that he needs them to ‘drink himself sober’.

Likewise every problem we have will be solved by giving ourselves more money.

Permanent trade deficit – give us more money
    Falling productivity – give us more money
    Collapsing infrastucture – give us more money
    Soaring debt – give us more money

The only variance is within the ‘give us more money’ crowd – those on the right want tax cuts, those on the left want more public spending.

We have as much chance of spending ourselves rich as the old drunkard has of drinking himself sober.

• Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    re the Osborne parking fiasco,the responsibility should a Penalty Charge Notice have been issued,which it clearly should if seen by a Civil Enforcement Officer,lies with the Registered Keeper,registered at the DVLA.I assume the RK was the police so in the event of the PCN not being paid within 28 days the Notice To Owner would go to them for payment.The vast majority of employers either seek the employee who was driving to pay direct or pay and then make a voluntary deduction from wages.In strict parking terms the passenger is irrelevant.
    One lesson for you.Should you allow someone else to drive your car and they receive a PCN,the responsibility for payment still lays with the RK,ie you.
    One other tip-always park between the lines in a car park even if other drivers have parked across them.This one rarely wins if challenged.
    I used to love working in parking enforcement.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Test

This discussion has been closed.