Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ladbrokes make Sir Keir Starmer favourite for Corbyn’s success

124»

Comments

• Options
    Another "Jezbollah is shit" thread? Suits me...

Understand the mentality of your average new Labour Party members. They worship Corbyn. They hate the Tories the Media the BBC the Labour Party traitors and anyone to the right of Chairman Mao. They aren't going to vote for someone mainstream and electable like Keir. Or that traitorous witch Nandy for that matter.

Its obviously going to be Diane Abbott as next leader. Right on, a woman and black. Ticks every box.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    An interesting name for the Central European time zone

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/13/spain-plans-replace-nazi-time-zone-gmt/

:D
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,189

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Not a criticism, but just an observation.

Remainers seem to be especially worried about Russia. The old enemy?

Are Remainers just fond of living in the stable and predictable past?

Similarly, some Brexiters seems strangely complacent about the attempted interference by Russia in the political system of the USA. As reported by the CIA. I recall Yokel? on here just before the US election warning that a whole load was about to come out about Trump and Russia. Presume he was referring to the delayed CIA report.

There's not much to like about Putin's Russia. Murdering journalists and downing passenger jets for starters. What is it exactly about Putin that some Brexiters find so attractive?

I like the fact Putin is slaughtering ISIS, to be honest. Also, he's realised that supporting Assad makes more sense in the face of Islamism.

It's a pity he's a ruthless autocrat, but then the President of the USA is happy to vapourise perceived enemies without trial in foreign countries.

"Why can't we just drone the guy?" - Hillary Clinton.

Imagine if Putin had been caught saying that.
    Not sure that Russia is slaughtering IS, I think IS had no part in the battle for Alleppo, though the anti Assad forces there are are becoming stronger. I also think that they risk major blowback, by encouraging such instability in the world.
    Talk me through America's "grand strategy" then. Other than a cack-handed attempt to further America's interests, which has generally gone wrong in the Middle East?

Um....
    Think you've missed the point.
    It's not necessary to rate US strategy to decry Russia's poor execution of one.

Having said that, it's trendy right now to talk down Putin as a mere tactician. But Russia seems to be further ahead in its aims than any other world power at the moment, save China.

Edit: and Russia would be delighted if the UK were to break up. We have been a thorn in their side, in the Security Council, and in the European Defence context, for a long time. Once again then, I can't figure out why some Brexiters - supposedly patriots - seem very warm to Putin.
    In foreign policy terms Russian is now arguably ahead of China, it has closer ties to the new US president and its influence spreads across the Middle East and to populist movements across Europe. Putin is also making a visit to Japan shortly as the Japanese grow increasingly weary of China
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    On the subject of foreign policy confusion (which side in Syria are we bombing at present?), I was rather taken back in time by the DEC appeal for Yemen.

Britain arming and helping the Saudis plan bombing of the same people we are collecting famine relief for would be absurd were it not so revolting. It puts me in mind of when we helped Nigeria starve Biafra into submission, while pictures of starving Biafrans were all over the screens. That was probably the most shameful act of the first Wilson government, but now May is repeating it:

http://allafrica.com/stories/201507151338.html

Perhaps stopping arms shipments to the Saiudis would help the poor suffering Yemenis more than a bit of charity.?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Similarly, some Brexiters seems strangely complacent about the attempted interference by Russia in the political system of the USA. As reported by the CIA. I recall Yokel? on here just before the US election warning that a whole load was about to come out about Trump and Russia. Presume he was referring to the delayed CIA report.

There's not much to like about Putin's Russia. Murdering journalists and downing passenger jets for starters. What is it exactly about Putin that some Brexiters find so attractive?

I like the fact Putin is slaughtering ISIS, to be honest. Also, he's realised that supporting Assad makes more sense in the face of Islamism.

It's a pity he's a ruthless autocrat, but then the President of the USA is happy to vapourise perceived enemies without trial in foreign countries.

Not sure that Russia is slaughtering IS, I think IS had no part in the battle for Alleppo, though the anti Assad forces there are are pretty Islamist. The pictures from West Alleppo show a functioning modern city, as do those from Damascas etc. The bombed out ruins inhabited by the Black niqabs is the anti government bit.

I don't think Russia has a grand strategy at present, just a number of tactical moves to break up tbe UK, the EU, the NAFTA, to cause a trade world.
    Talk me through America's "grand strategy" then. Other than a cack-handed attempt to further America's interests, which has generally gone wrong in the Middle East?

Um....

Having said that, it's trendy right now to talk down Putin as a mere tactician. But Russia seems to be further ahead in its aims than any other world power at the moment, save China.

Edit: and Russia would be delighted if the UK were to break up. We have been a thorn in their side, in the Security Council, and in the European Defence context, for a long time. Once again then, I can't figure out why some Brexiters - supposedly patriots - seem very warm to Putin.
    The basket-case of a Russian economy, as Robert often reminds us, suggests entirely otherwise.
    Russia is now the 10th to 12th largest economy and set to enter the top 10 by 2030, it is not exactly a basket-case
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,882
    edited December 2016
    Mortimer said:

The basket-case of a Russian economy, as Robert often reminds us, suggests entirely otherwise.

And yet despite a level of exports about the same size as Belgium's (was that one of Robert's facts?), Putin has kept his grip on power and Russia keeps us all guessing - in the Middle East, in the Ukraine, and now in the US.

Russia is strategically successful because of what it achieves *despite* it's economic weakness.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Not sure that Russia is slaughtering IS, I think IS had no part in the battle for Alleppo, though the anti Assad forces there are are pretty Islamist. The pictures from West Alleppo show a functioning modern city, as do those from Damascas etc. The bombed out ruins inhabited by the Black niqabs is the anti government bit.

I don't think Russia has a grand strategy at present, just a number of tactical moves to break up tbe UK, the EU, the NAFTA, to cause a trade world.

Um....

Russia is now the 10th to 12th largest economy and set to enter the top 10 by 2030, it is not exactly a basket-case
    I thought they were hugely dependent on oil/gas revenue?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited December 2016
    https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/808743114169061377

How did hackers change the votes cast by humans on paper ballots counted by other humans ?

Some Remainers (Ben Bradshaw) have entered the twilight zone, this is more flimsy than a Glenn Beck-Soros Conspiracy Theory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vinXBY9-I9I
  • Options

I understand it is a Kremlin conspiracy which sees Spurs and English cricketers both have to play shite when they are in action on the same day....

Fake news...England won every test in India...
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    surbiton said:

MTimT said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

This thread appears to have been populated by people who will never have a girlfriend.

(Joke)

Just take a minute to look at the banner at the top of the page... :D
    Xero Accounting Software ?
    xm.com forex for me ...

Back to Christmas in ridiculous places. Currently in Karachi. Hotel has installed the Christmas tree, the snowy Christmas village with steam train, and flying Santa in a sled pulled by reindeer some 10' above the village. And three musicians singing religious carols to a drum machine.
    Is it the Sheraton ?
    Marriott
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Another "Jezbollah is shit" thread? Suits me...

Understand the mentality of your average new Labour Party members. They worship Corbyn. They hate the Tories the Media the BBC the Labour Party traitors and anyone to the right of Chairman Mao. They aren't going to vote for someone mainstream and electable like Keir. Or that traitorous witch Nandy for that matter.

Its obviously going to be Diane Abbott as next leader. Right on, a woman and black. Ticks every box.

They sound so much like the trump cult of the left.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

There's not much to like about Putin's Russia

I don't think Russia has a grand strategy at present, just a number of tactical moves to break up tbe UK, the EU, the NAFTA, to cause a trade war between China and US, and to gain influence in the Middle East by bringing down pro Saudi organisations. I think the view from Moscow is that weakening others is easier than becoming stronger. I also think that they risk major blowback, by encouraging such instability in the world.

Um....
    'America First' I believe once The Orange One takes over in January
    It has the advantage of honesty.
    Only with a strange definition of honesty! A wall that isn't a wall, draining the swamp by putting million dollar donors into his cabinet, putting Goldman Sachs in charge of Commerce, opposing Middle East intervention by appointing a General known as Mad Dog in charge of the Military, scrapping Obamacare by keeping all the key bits etc etc.

When will the Trumpists realise the Emperor has no clothes? at the moment they are still admiring the exquisite finess of the embroidery!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

And then there were...

twitter.com/polhomeeditor/status/808793623701688320

Only if she doesn't get out of bankruptcy in six months. A by-election in Scotland would be very interesting though!
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Um....

Having.
    They are but that is not about to run out imminently, in foreign policy terms after the fall of Aleppo and the election of Trump Russia is now number 1 in all but name
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    How many are they left?

In any case she would win any by-election.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Um....

Having.
    They are but that is not about to run out imminently, in foreign policy terms after the fall of Aleppo and the election of Trump Russia is now number 1 in all but name
    Putin is #1 in willingness to project power. In no other way is Russia anywhere near number 1 on any international parameter.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,432
    Speedy said:

Scott_P said:
    How many are they left?

If she is sequestrated she will not be eligible to stand. But I agree the SNP will hold the seat.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2016
    George Osborne has blamed a "vacuum from America and Britain" for allowing the Aleppo situation to develop. Unusual to see a politician including themselves in the blame for something.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,882
    @foxinsoxuk said:

Only with a strange definition of honesty! A wall that isn't a wall, draining the swamp by putting million dollar donors into his cabinet, putting Goldman Sachs in charge of Commerce, opposing Middle East intervention by appointing a General known as Mad Dog in charge of the Military, scrapping Obamacare by keeping all the key bits etc etc.

When will the Trumpists realise the Emperor has no clothes? at the moment they are still admiring the exquisite finess of the embroidery!

Has SeanT gone full Trump yet?
    He seems to be verging on it, but don't think he's fully come out of the closet.

One of the most disappointing thing about Brexit is watching many of the Brexiteers cast aside their high minded principles about democracy, free trade, and patriotism in favour of Trumpery.

It's all just power worship of the most primitive kind.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Not sure that Russia is slaughtering world.

Um....

Having.
    Putin is #1 in willingness to project power. In no other way is Russia anywhere near number 1 on any international parameter.
    Being willing to project power and effectively influence global affairs is the key determinant of foreign policy success, you can have all the weaponry and soldiers and diplomats you want but they are of little use if you let other nations dictate world affairs
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PolhomeEditor: Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh is the 4th SNP MP to face a probe into their financial affairs. bit.ly/2gxpykk
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Um....

Quite. Given their resources, the fact that they're not in the first division is rather demonstrative...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:
    How many are they left?

If she is sequestrated she will not be eligible to stand. But I agree the SNP will hold the seat.
    Really?
    People who have declared bankruptcy in the past are ineligible to stand in a future election ?

If that is true it must be a relic from the old pre-19th century election laws when it was limited to property owners.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,604

I don't know what Ben Bradshaw's evidence is, but I would be surprised if Russia's propaganda machine was not active, both in Brexit and in Sindy.

Russia wants to see the destabilisation, if not the breakup, of the UK, of the EU, and of NATO.

By what mechanism Russia acts, who knows. The list of Putin fans is long and seems to be growing: Trump, Farage, Corbyn. But are they sympathisers, stooges or worse? And I recall recently seeing that Pravda was planning to open operations in Scotland of all places. Not difficult to reason why.

A friend with contacts in the intelligence service tells me that Aaron Banks may have some interesting connections...

I'm sure you're right in what you say about what Russia would like, but you're being startlingly naive if you think that isn't exactly what the West (by which I mean the US and its hangers on) wants for Russia - and has been trying just as hard to achieve. Indeed the plan to break Russia up is all laid out in a white paper by Zbigniew Brzezinski. And the recommendations have so far been followed to the letter. http://www.voltairenet.org/article30038.html

Not sure why you should expect Russia *not* to want us broken up when we want to break their country up?

• Options
    HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Um....

Having.
    Being willing to project power and effectively influence global affairs is the key determinant of foreign policy success, you can have all the weaponry and soldiers and diplomats you want but they are of little use if you let other nations dictate world affairs
    LOL. You're schooling me on diplomacy ...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,432
    Speedy said:

DavidL said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:
    How many are they left?

Really?
    People who have declared bankruptcy in the past are ineligible to stand in a future election ?

If that is true it must be a relic from the old pre-19th century election laws when it was limited to property owners.
    That is my understanding yes. Bankrupts are not eligible to stand. But you are now normally discharged from sequestration after 12 months so much would depend on the timing.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

@foxinsoxuk said:

He seems to be verging on it, but don't think he's fully come out of the closet.

One of the most disappointing thing about Brexit is watching many of the Brexiteers cast aside their high minded principles about democracy, free trade, and patriotism in favour of Trumpery.

I am not aware that any Brexiteers on pb have gone full Trump.

The most persistent and irritating advocate for Trump on pb is also the most persistent and irritating advocate for Remain.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Um....

Having.
    Well what part of that was incorrect then?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Um....

Having.
    Nearly as amusing when another PBer tried to school you on Iraq's WMDs.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    DavidL said:

Speedy said:

DavidL said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:
    How many are they left?

Really?

That is my understanding yes. Bankrupts are not eligible to stand. But you are now normally discharged from sequestration after 12 months so much would depend on the timing.
    I'd have thought pure shame would prevent you running again as an MP. Then again most bankrupts do seem to be particularly shameless people.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

I don't know what Ben Bradshaw's evidence is, but I would be surprised if Russia's propaganda machine was not active, both in Brexit and in Sindy.

Russia wants to see the destabilisation, if not the breakup, of the UK, of the EU, and of NATO.

By what mechanism Russia acts, who knows. The list of Putin fans is long and seems to be growing: Trump, Farage, Corbyn. But are they sympathisers, stooges or worse? And I recall recently seeing that Pravda was planning to open operations in Scotland of all places. Not difficult to reason why.

A friend with contacts in the intelligence service tells me that Aaron Banks may have some interesting connections...

I'm sure you're right in what you say about what Russia would like, but you're being startlingly naive if you think that isn't exactly what the West (by which I mean the US and its hangers on) wants for Russia - and has been trying just as hard to achieve. Indeed the plan to break Russia up is all laid out in a white paper by Zbigniew Brzezinski. And the recommendations have so far been followed to the letter. http://www.voltairenet.org/article30038.html

Not sure why you should expect Russia *not* to want us broken up when we want to break their country up?

Is Ukraine "their country"? or the Baltics? or Moldova or Georgia? or the 5 'stans?

Unless tbe Brzezinski plan goes back a Century, I cannot see how it plays apart.

If Russia had wanted filial relations with the other successor states to the USSR then perhaps a century of famine, deportations, gulags and executions was not such a good idea.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    dr_spyn said:
    Given she was formerly a member of the Tories and New Labour, I guess the SNP were just unlucky that the music stopped while she was on their watch.

God knows why she was selected, though.

Someone who is on the third political party in a few years is surely -- in Malc’s words -- a trougher.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,604

@foxinsoxuk said:

How clever of you to have put the lid on Trump before he's taken power, and sussed out Brexit before it's even happened.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,061
    Mortimer said:

No. Russia treats its citizens badly (up to and including murdering those it finds inconvenient), has a corrupt civil service, a biddable judiciary, murders journalists, jails those who object or make profit outside its nomenklatura, is routinely cruel, funds insurgents in neighbouring countries, annexes exclaves whenever it can, runs propaganda bureaux outside its borders, indulges in recreational gaybashing and blows up airliners.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,061
    SeanT said:

viewcode said:

Mortimer said:

No. Russia treats its citizens badly (up to and including murdering those it finds inconvenient), has a corrupt civil service, a biddable judiciary, murders journalists, jails those who object or make profit outside its nomenklatura, is routinely cruel, funds insurgents in neighbouring countries, annexes exclaves whenever it can, runs propaganda bureaux outside its borders, indulges in recreational gaybashing and blows up airliners.
    And America?

The America of Chicago?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/09/us/chicago-shootings-district-11.html?_r=0

The America of Hillary's "can't we just drone this guy". The America that brought us the festival of democracy that is the modern Middle East - courtesy of Shock and Awe. The America that invades whomsoever it likes. The only country to drop the H bomb.
    I was answering the question I was asked, which was "Remainers seem to be especially worried about Russia. The old enemy?", hence my lengthy list of the Russian Federation's many and grevious sins.

If he had asked me "Rate all the countries of the world, compare them and list them in descending order of malevolence", then I would have dealt with the USA also
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @foxinsoxuk

'Perhaps stopping arms shipments to the Saiudis would help the poor suffering Yemenis more than a bit of charity.?'

What's the point other countries would supply instead..
This discussion has been closed.