Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ladbrokes make Sir Keir Starmer favourite for Corbyn’s success

Comments

• Options
    The Byzantine solidus?
  • Options

On topic, surely McClusky will win? Turnout in these sort of elections is generally appalling so that only the committed will vote, and the Corbynites are committed. Also McClusky has the name recognition. You'd also assume that he wouldn't be pulling this stunt unless he was almost certain it'd work (though that doesn't necessarily mean that his judgement id right).

"Len McClusky cares more about keeping Jeremy Corbyn in his job than keeping you in your job" might have some traction with members in the defence sector.
    It might, although Corbyn is in favour of building nuclear subs as long as they don't have any weapons.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,102
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Quiz question for you all (no Googling...):

which country has the most valuable currency in the world?

(As in, a single x of which buys the most pounds or dollars.)

Kuwaiti Dinar?
    Correct :)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Malta?
    Doesn't Malta use the Euro now?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Is it Kuwait ?
    Obviously also correct... (And you were first.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nudistan?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,007
    1 Kuwaiti Dinar = £2.58 right now :o !
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,964
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Kuwaiti Dinar?
    Correct :)
    I see @Pulpstar actually beat me to it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The shocking thing is how strong the pound is really.
  • Options
    Um, I stand corrected :)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Which of the major currencies do you think is over and which under valued ?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

The German Euro is undervalued. The Greek Euro is overvalued.

There lies the problem.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

The German Euro is undervalued. The Greek Euro is overvalued.

There lies the problem.
    We have a winner!
  • Options
    So, conversely, which country has the crappiest currency in the world?
  • Options

Venezuela probably, or Zimbabwe before they knocked twelve zeroes off a few years ago.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

Venezuela?
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

The other thing when betting on this market you should consider is how safe is the MP's seat, if Labour are shellacked at a general election, it could be like the Tory leadership election where some of the the contenders loses their seats, including the favourite, a la Michael Portillo*

*I'm fairly certain I read in a book that Michael Portillo was the favourite to succeed John Major at 12pm on the May 1st 1997

One of my favourite political book titles of all time is "Michael Portillo: the Future of the Right". By a Sunday Times journalist named Michael Gove.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm not really saying over-valued, as in, sell.

What I mean is to a Brit, almost every currency is nominally "cheaper" - for most of the world's residents, many other currencies are "more expensive".
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, a few years ago (well, probably nearer a decade now), Zimbabwe had interest rates of 65,000%.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I think the world's least valuable currency is probably officially the Iranian Rial.

I'd rather be holding those than Venezuelan Bolivars right now, mind.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,631
    edited December 2016

Mr. Sandpit, a few years ago (well, probably nearer a decade now), Zimbabwe had interest rates of 65,000%.

With inflation having risen 33% in just a month, a 65,000% interest rate is what Brexit Britain has to look forward to :lol:
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Labour needs a new membership before it will get Starmer as leader. My leftist chums put their faith in him, but can't see how he can swing the current membership. Not without some crushing rejection at the ballot box, that makes any Momentum "we're still not Left enough" spiel look the utterly ridiculous crap it is. So crushing that it is even obvious to them.

That has to mean losing a general election. Terribly badly.
  • Options

With inflation having risen 33% in just a month, a 65,000% interest rate is what Brexit Britain has to look forward to :lol:
    The good thing is we can now eat our fivers at that point.
  • Options

Is there some way to shop in an Amazon "safe-zone", and get all the rubbish or grey areas filtered out? Or some other online venue which is less problematic?

I've stopped buying from Amazon so pissed off with the fake stuff.

Ordered some Paco Rabanne 1 million and Jean Paul Gaultier Eau de Toilette what I got was something that smelt like watered down dog piss.

You could tell from the packaging it was fake.
    I feel your pain, TSE. Glad it isn't just me who is getting ****ed off.

It's got the same wild-west feel as ebay now, and it is paralysing my purchasing decisions. It just isn't worth my time of day.

There must be a gap in the market for an online retailer whose value proposition is "fair (not necessarily knock-down) prices, big range, carefully vetted, genuine articles only, half-decent effort at customer service, don't take the Michael with the postage". Anybody got any suggestions?

Alternative online bookstores?

Do any of the big supermarket chains extend their online shopping deep into the territory of home goods, electricals, stationery?
  • Options
    Mr. Ears, not had that problem myself (mind you, I buy books and videogames almost exclusively, beyond presents), but the Prime offers (some goods being cheaper but only if you're a Prime member) and inferior delivery service (often arriving at 7-9pm) isn't what it was.
  • Options

Is there some way to shop in an Amazon "safe-zone", and get all the rubbish or grey areas filtered out? Or some other online venue which is less problematic?

Ordered some Paco Rabanne 1 million and Jean Paul Gaultier Eau de Toilette what I got was something that smelt like watered down dog piss.

It's got the same wild-west feel as ebay now, and it is paralysing my purchasing decisions. It just isn't worth my time of day.

There must be a gap in the market for an online retailer whose value proposition is "fair (not necessarily knock-down) prices, big range, carefully vetted, genuine articles only, half-decent effort at customer service, don't take the Michael with the postage". Anybody got any suggestions?

Do any of the big supermarket chains extend their online shopping deep into the territory of home goods, electricals, stationery?
    Agree about Amazon, it's turned into fleabay where you can't even filter out their own products from the 'marketplace' sellers, most of whom are peddling crap and fakes.

For fair prices and great service, http://www.johnlewis.com takes some beating.
  • Options

Likewise, inadvertently bought a replacement laptop adaptor at an inferior wattage despite it claiming to be "compatible" with the exact laptop model (which it is, in that the laptop works plugged in, but the battery doesn't charge).

Amazon is brilliant but they need to attend to their sharper edges.
  • Options

Amazon Prime is good for filtering out piss takers on postage costs.

I know Amazon is being targeted by both the police and Apple for the fake chargers they sell, which is a big issue because some of those are like wilfully starting a fire in your own house.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2016

Most of them do.

And there's Argos, of course, if you don't mind the lack of street cred.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

The other thing when betting on this market you should consider is how safe is the MP's seat, if Labour are shellacked at a general election, it could be like the Tory leadership election where some of the the contenders loses their seats, including the favourite, a la Michael Portillo*

*I'm fairly certain I read in a book that Michael Portillo was the favourite to succeed John Major at 12pm on the May 1st 1997

One of my favourite political book titles of all time is "Michael Portillo: the Future of the Right". By a Sunday Times journalist named Michael Gove.
    New from £108.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Michael-Portillo-Future-Right-Gove/dp/1857023358/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481647833&sr=8-1&keywords=Michael+Portillo:+the+Future+of+the+Right
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Agree about Amazon, it's turned into fleabay where you can't even filter out their own products from the 'marketplace' sellers, most of whom are peddling crap and fakes.

I heartily recommend John Lewis, always use them for my electrical purchases, especially TVs, superb breakdown/fault cover.
  • Options

John Lewis?
  • Options

Tesco do, do they do have a really good filter for sorting out their partners who fulfil some of their orders
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    rcs1000 said:

We all know the Triganic Pu is the most valuable currency. ;)
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

New from £108.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Michael-Portillo-Future-Right-Gove/dp/1857023358/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481647833&sr=8-1&keywords=Michael+Portillo:+the+Future+of+the+Right
    Top Customer Reviews
    5.0 out of 5 stars

Mr Portillo is 'Right' for me

By Katie Louise Pottage on 2 Sept. 2003
    Format: Hardcover
    He speaks very good sense in this book, and agreeing that darling Maggie Thatcher is the best thing since sliced bread. His views on Europe are spot on, so Me and my gals at our local party would like him to come and and join us sometime, as not only is he politically spot on with us (and in our opinion in the wrong party!) he is also a gorgeous honeypot and the hottest babe in politics. Oooooooh that hair, that smile............
  • Options

I'm patiently waiting for the rate of increase of inflation to decrease... ;)
  • Options
    Though Amazon pantry is the dog's dangly bits
  • Options
    IPA 100% | 500mL | Lab/Pharmaceutical Grade | Isopropyl Alcohol/Isopropanol (99%) was the last thing I purchased on Amazon.

Definitely smelt like alcohol, and had the desired effect too.
  • Options
    My first Amazon purchase, back in 2003.

128 MB Sony memory card stick for £129.99

Today I can buy a 128 GB memory stick for £30
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

IPA 100% | 500mL | Lab/Pharmaceutical Grade | Isopropyl Alcohol/Isopropanol (99%) was the last thing I purchased on Amazon.

LOL! That's way cheaper than Smirnoff ;)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

LOL! That's way cheaper than Smirnoff ;)
    Removes thermal paste better too.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I like a nice IPA too, but usually around 5.5%
  • Options
    I know PB has quite a few gamers, I need some advice, what games would you recommend for a soon to be seven year old to play on a PS4?

Are there any games?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

I heartily recommend John Lewis, always use them for my electrical purchases, especially TVs, superb breakdown/fault cover.
    For bigger electrical purchases I also tend to use John Lewis (or buy direct from manufacturer). I had some trouble with a laptop and John Lewis were brilliant. Their two-year cover saved my bacon when some issues recurred after the manufacturer's year went up.

They don't have a massive range for the little things - I was looking for a 12 V adapter the other day for example - but for TVs, computers and the like, I am a very satisfied customer.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited December 2016

I know PB has quite a few gamers, I need some advice, what games would you recommend for a soon to be seven year old to play on a PS4?

Are there any games?

What genre? FIFA is normally a solid (family friendly) choice if you need something to open on the 25th. Though not for everyone.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

For bigger electrical purchases I also tend to use John Lewis (or buy direct from manufacturer). I had some trouble with a laptop and John Lewis were brilliant. Their two-year cover saved my bacon when some issues recurred after the manufacturer's year went up.

They don't have a massive range for the little things - I was looking for a 12 V adapter the other day for example - but for TVs, computers and the like, I am a very satisfied customer.
    Free five year cover on TVs is great when Currys charge £300 for the same,

When my old TV went on the blink 3 times in the space of a few months with a few months of the warranty expiring they gave me a new TV instead.
  • Options

Are there any games?

What genre? FIFA is normally a solid (family friendly) choice if you need something to open on the 25th. Though not for everyone.
    Not sure of genres, something that's family friendly, is suitable for a soon to be seven year old.
  • Options
    Witcher 3
  • Options

Are there any games?

Minecraft, lego starwars or any of the 100 or so other lego games...

hard to say without knowing the child. Mine were into shooters already at that age.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Witcher 3

... for a seven year old?
  • Options
    When I was 7, or 8 Zelda II Adventure of Link was released for the NES. Was amazing.
  • Options

Are there any games?

hard to say without knowing the child. Mine were into shooters already at that age.
    Oooh LEGO, he's the son of a geek,
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Are there any games?

My grandson, nearly six, is a great fan of Minecraft.
  • Options
    Last Amazon purchase

25 x Rohypnol 5mg, discrete packaging, looks like paracetamol
  • Options

Are there any games?

Not sure of genres, something that's family friendly, is suitable for a soon to be seven year old.
    Doom 3
  • Options

Are there any games?

I'm not seven, but I think lego star wars is a great game!
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    @TheScreamingEagles

Something dinosaur related?

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, I tend to prefer the more adult games (shame he isn't older, The Last of Us, and The Witcher 3 are outstandingly good).

Did a quick search, because I am a good friend (who is procrastinating), and a few you may want to check (mostly low price, under £20) are:
    Lumo, an isometric puzzle game
    Rocket League, rocket-powered car football
    Just Dance, (if you're an annoying extrovert...)
    Pure Pool
    and Monopoly Family Fun Pack.

Of course, none of those have the narrative or emotional punches of The Last of Us, but there we are.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, wash your mouth out with soap!

It's an outstanding game, but The Witcher 3 is most definitely not for children.

And the many Lego games would be a good bet, as others have said.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Incidentally if anyone can tell me of a shop in central London that stocks Huy Fong Sriracha, I'd be grateful. Need it quick and no one can deliver for days.

eBay Buy it Now - might get you next day?
  • Options

Are there any games?

Grand Theft Auto?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Are there any games?

I'm not seven, but I think lego star wars is a great game!
    Does it feature the Death Star canteen?
  • Options
    My son is six and a half, and he loves Skylanders and Disney Infinity.

We've got him Skylanders Imaginators for Xmas.
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, my mum used to work at a primary school, and a child there (probably 8) revealed he'd been playing GTA (I'd guess San Andreas).

I'm not a prude about age ratings, but that sort of thing really isn't suitable.
  • Options

Mr. 1000, my mum used to work at a primary school, and a child there (probably 8) revealed he'd been playing GTA (I'd guess San Andreas).

I'm not a prude about age ratings, but that sort of thing really isn't suitable.

Quite. I was a bit bothered to say the least when I found my son was pimping hoes (is that the correct expression?) and dealing drugs at the age of 14...
  • Options
    I think that once A50 has been served and the Government commence negotiations then that is when the EU as well as the Government will come under intense scrutiny. Leaks will pour out from both sides and if the EU do not talk sensibly about freedom of movement and become 'bloody minded' I think you will find no one does 'bloody minded' better than the Brits and the populace will increasingly want to tell the EU to get lost.
  • Options
    Mr. Rex, depends. If he was their owner, then pimping is correct. If he was their client, it's pumping.

Er... I'm assuming that was in GTA rather than real life?

Just on gaming: the average age of a gamer is now over 30. A great side effect of this is that there are now more games that are adult (in a serious rather than a frisky sort of way). Fascinating how far the medium has come from the first games I played on an Amstrad, which were on a cassette that took 30 minutes to load.
  • Options

I think that once A50 has been served and the Government commence negotiations then that is when the EU as well as the Government will come under intense scrutiny. Leaks will pour out from both sides and if the EU do not talk sensibly about freedom of movement and become 'bloody minded' I think you will find no one does 'bloody minded' better than the Brits and the populace will increasingly want to tell the EU to get lost.

They are starting off well with their ridiculous demand that all EU citizens remain under the jurisdiction of the ECJ.
  • Options

Are there any games?

A flight sim? Fairly innocuous.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Are there any games?

Grand Theft Auto?
    I'll have to say no to that one, just dawned on me his 3 and a half year old brother will also want to play too.

A 3 year old playing Grand Theft Auto....
  • Options

Most of them do.

And there's Argos, of course, if you don't mind the lack of street cred.
    MBE doesn't do street cred.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Quite. I was a bit bothered to say the least when I found my son was pimping hoes (is that the correct expression?) and dealing drugs at the age of 14...
    A lot of parents really don't understand that these games have age ratings for good reason.

A customer of mine bought a 15-rated Spider-Man game for his six year old a couple of years ago. I had to play through the first scene of violence and swearing with him to convince him that it really wasn't suitable for his little kid.
  • Options

Mr. Rex, depends. If he was their owner, then pimping is correct. If he was their client, it's pumping.

Er... I'm assuming that was in GTA rather than real life?

Just on gaming: the average age of a gamer is now over 30. A great side effect of this is that there are now more games that are adult (in a serious rather than a frisky sort of way). Fascinating how far the medium has come from the first games I played on an Amstrad, which were on a cassette that took 30 minutes to load.

If it was real life I want to know what he did with all the money!

• Options
    Mr. Sandpit, others are a bit softer, though. I think Skyrim's an 18, for example.

I always found Kratos' violence ridiculously over the top, and was surprised God of War was 18, whereas Metal Gear Solid 3 (which includes a torture scene) was only 15.

Mr. T, not just the Blitz spirit. When Cameron et al. started treating the electorate with contempt, the favour was returned, exemplified by the QT special when an audience member accused him of being Neville Chamberlain.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,905
    edited December 2016

Yes, you're right, 8 is far too young. Having said that, my son's just turned 13, but I finally gave in to his begging for GTA about 6 months ago as it transpired that pretty much all of his mates had it by then. The funny thing is that he and his mates now seem to have got bored with it and have reverted to playing Minecraft again!

Also, I've just had him beseeching me to use my credit card to buy something called "FUT Millionaire" which claims to be able to help you earn millions of FIFA coins for just £23 a month. No way. The whole thing just reeks of scam. I think I've managed to convince him now that the old adage "If it looks too good to be true, it probably isn't" almost certainly applies here.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,164
    SeanT said:

The British will become obdurate and stoical, with a dash of quiet nationalism. The Blitz Spirit.

The champagne populist Brexiteers are more likely to display the spirit of the Ritz, causing revulsion and rebellion against British identity itself in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
  • Options

SeanT said:

The British will become obdurate and stoical, with a dash of quiet nationalism. The Blitz Spirit.

The champagne populist Brexiteers are more likely to display the spirit of the Ritz, causing revulsion and rebellion against British identity itself in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
    You dont speak for all Scots. My wife is one of the many from the North East Fishing communities who want out of the EU and considers herself Scots and British
  • Options
    Mr. Enjineeya, not up on the whole shindig myself (really not my area) but there have been recent cases of dodginess revolving around underage gambling for add-ons for videogames. I think it's things like weapon crates and item packs, that sort of thing, where you effectively buy them and it could be anything, but you can then re-sell (so if you get a rare item you might make a fortune).

It *might* be something similar.

On a related note, some berk who defrauded his employer out of nearly $5m, spent $1m of it on Game of War in-game purchases.
  • Options

Mr. Enjineeya, not up on the whole shindig myself (really not my area) but there have been recent cases of dodginess revolving around underage gambling for add-ons for videogames. I think it's things like weapon crates and item packs, that sort of thing, where you effectively buy them and it could be anything, but you can then re-sell (so if you get a rare item you might make a fortune).

On a related note, some berk who defrauded his employer out of nearly $5m, spent $1m of it on Game of War in-game purchases.

LOL. Seriously?!
  • Options
    Mr. D, indeed.

Apparently the maximum purchase is $100, so he must have RSI as well as an empty head.
  • Options

It's supposed to be some sort of auto-trading system for buying and selling players on FIFA. He's already made about £50 through manual trading and then selling coins to his rich-but-dim friends, but he thought this would be a good way to up his profits. After googling around a bit, though, it looks more like a way of depleting my bank account, should I be so daft as to give them my card details.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

That's precisely why the remainers are throwing the kitchen sink at preventing art 50 from being triggered at all
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Mr. D, indeed.

Apparently the maximum purchase is $100, so he must have RSI as well as an empty head.

And I thought I was bad for buying DLC. A dirty habit, I know.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    edited December 2016
    Mr. Enjineeya, ah, I see.

I'd tend to agree with you. He might make money. Or a loss. But I'd feel much the same in your shoes.

Edited extra bit: Mr. D, there's DLC, then there's pay-to-win in 'free-to-play' games.
  • Options

When I was a lad you had to fight in dungeons to find those rare and legendary items. The youth of today, never had it so good!
  • Options
    Exxon Mobil previously issued a statement supporting Remain.

http://news.sky.com/story/vote-leave-exxon-is-cbis-only-eu-backer-10334215

The first Brexit betrayal will be against Farage when Trump turns out to be quite keen on the EU.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

SeanT said:

You dont speak for all Scots. My wife is one of the many from the North East Fishing communities who want out of the EU and considers herself Scots and British
    Over one million scots voted brexit plus the one sided pro EU propaganda from the government and all parties in Scotland helped the remain win.

Just imagine some fairness up there and we could have seen a closer result.
  • Options
    Mr. D, only good for the liberal metropolitan elite who can afford to pay! We common folk still have to spend a hundred hours grinding just for a chance to beat the legendary dungeons!
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    RobD said:

When I was a lad you had to fight in dungeons to find those rare and legendary items. The youth of today, never had it so good!
    Unfortunately, the interaction between real-world money and game 'gold' has ruined many online games - they're usiversally full of scammers, mining bots or opponents who have bought themselves invincibility, leaving a miserable experience for new players trying to establish themselves in the game without a pile of (real) cash to spend.
  • Options

The first Brexit betrayal will be against Farage when Trump turns out to be quite keen on the EU.

Dream on
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    SeanT said:

Incidentally if anyone can tell me of a shop in central London that stocks Huy Fong Sriracha, I'd be grateful. Need it quick and no one can deliver for days.

Try Taste of Siam supermarket in Camden. Failing that possibly one of the supermarkets in Chinatown.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Over one million scots voted brexit plus the one sided pro EU propaganda from the government and all parties in Scotland helped the remain win.

Just imagine some fairness up there and we could have seen a closer result.
    It is true that in the North East the EU is despised due to its effects on the fishing industry. My wife's cousin has always been a strong member of the SNP but absolutely rejects Sturgeon's position on this and indeed on independence.

I understand that several SNP MP's are actually in the leave camp and as negotiations with Europe commence and Europe digs its heels in I expect an ever increasing body of opinion throughout the UK and in Scotland will want to leave
  • Options

Trump has been pretty clear in his position on Brexit and the EU. I doubt that will change!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Trump has been pretty clear in his position on Brexit and the EU. I doubt that will change!
    This is something that we will be able to judge sooner than most Brexit issues so let's see... ;)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

eBay Buy it Now - might get you next day?
    Ta. Yes. Possible. But I'm gonna be in Soho tomorrow and will surely find it somewhere.....
    Sainsbury's sell sriracha but not sure about the brand.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756
    This thread appears to have been populated by people who will never have a girlfriend.

(Joke)
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    The problem with proposing Keir Starmer as leader is, yes, everybody's looking out for a Labour figure who is bright, has a chance to develop some sort of public profile, and is at least halfway competent - but they're forgetting what an awful job he has been landed with. Starmer's role as Shadow Brexit Secretary is, essentially, to try to sell soft Brexit to the public - a halfway house option, chosen to try to stop the Labour Party and its voter coalition from disintegrating, but which has the distinct disadvantage of (a) pleasing no-one and (b) arguably being impossible to achieve in any event.

A soft Brexit deal, containing a compromise on single market access in exchange for a compromise on immigration, is most unlikely to be made available because of the EU's intransigence with regard to the Four Freedoms. This leaves the only two likely end states for the UK's relationship with the EU as something very like the Norway model (EFTA/EEA, which is likely to emerge as the Liberal Democrat fallback position if and when A50 is eventually triggered, and accepted to be irreversible;) or full withdrawal from most of the EU's structures, including the single market, customs union, and the jurisdiction of the ECJ. The former position will look to most voters like Remain in all but name, which will best satisfy strong Remain voters but outrage strong Leave voters; the latter position will have the opposite effect.

By fence-sitting, Starmer will simply be attacked for not being pro-EU enough by the Lib Dems, for defying the will of the people by the Tories and Ukip, and for proposing fantasy solutions that do not exist by both. He risks looking weak, dithering and dishonest. Not a strong position from which to launch a leadership bid.

We all understand why Starmer is walking this particular tightrope - to try to stop the party and its voter coalition from falling apart over Europe - but realistically this task looks virtually hopeless. Labour is arguably divided into four factions - Far Left, Soft Left, Blue Labour and Centrist - according to the attitudes of these groups to the role of the state and of the free market; identity and immigration; social liberalism; the European project; and global affairs. Each has a tense relationship with some of the others on various of these issues, they aren't even all fishing in the same pool of voters, and it is hard to see how all four are meant to continue to co-operate within the same broad church party.

The Tories effectively split years ago, when many of their hard line social conservatives deserted to Ukip. Realistically, the Labour Party is probably going to end up splitting too. Whether this happens formally, or if it simply abandons a chunk of its voter coalition and thus encourages voters and members to drift away to other parties, remains to be seen.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Twitter is going into meltdown lol.

https://twitter.com/NicksGg/status/808708164187254784
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940
    dr_spyn said:

Lisa Nandy, silent on her education and the work of her Liberal MP grandfather.

and she went to the Lib Dem conference this year to argue the case for a progressive alliance - with Caroline Lucas.
  • Options

This thread appears to have been populated by people who will never have a girlfriend.

(Joke)

Just take a minute to look at the banner at the top of the page... :D
This discussion has been closed.