Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What Corbyn’s re-election and the huge increase in membership

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    edited December 2016
    I'm not sure that nationalising is the answer, that would hand the unions a huge victory and send a message to all other franchise employees. Unfortunately we are at the stage where ploughing on is the least worst option.
  • Options

Inflation at two year high:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38300919

Or "barely half the desired rate". We should take note of the direction of travel, but it's hardly astronomical.

Inflation is up 33% in a month, that's astronomical.

George and Dave were right.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Also, are all petrol cars banned, or only new ones from being registered? If the former there'll be chaos and uproar. If the latter then grandfather rights will make cars purchased immediately before the ban rather valuable.

It's the latter, but expect road tax to be gradually ramped up and the cars to become less and less viable as the refuelling network dries up.
    Only if the electric cars perform as well as the current generation of fossil-fuel engined cars at the same price or lower.

They're not there on range, and nowhere near on price.
    I might get one for my next car, however I fully intend to get as near to 200,000 miles or so in my '09 diesel 207 as possible (65k atm).
    Am hoping perhaps the tech/price points/charging points have caught up by then...
    The lifespan of electric cars (and particularly battery life) is another significant issue.
    Batteries are a big problem for both cars and storing renewable power, but an awful lot of effort is being put into improving batteries. If supercapacitors can also be improved they would help enormously in electric transport.
    http://www.graphenea.com/pages/graphene-supercapacitors
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Of course, no discussion about electric cars is complete without reference to the astonishing Porsche 918 Spyder. It's a plug-in hybrid, so exempt from road tax and congestion charge, and qualifies for all sorts of incentives from governments.

It also does 0-60mph in 2.2 seconds, 0-100 in 4.9s, 217mph flat out and holds the production car lap record around the Nurburgring.

Yours for a million quid. :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_918_Spyder

But seriously, this is where the tech is now, give it a few years and the price will come down somewhat.
  • Options
    Mr. Rex, not just early firearms. Even by the Napoleonic era, a thousand English archers with longbows would chewed up a battalion of musketeers quite nicely.

However, archery's a lot harder to learn and gain sufficient strength/stamina in, whereas the guns were a lot easier. (Point and shoot, enormous shoulder muscles not required).
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Also, are all petrol cars banned, or only new ones from being registered? If the former there'll be chaos and uproar. If the latter then grandfather rights will make cars purchased immediately before the ban rather valuable.

It's the latter, but expect road tax to be gradually ramped up and the cars to become less and less viable as the refuelling network dries up.
    Only if the electric cars perform as well as the current generation of fossil-fuel engined cars at the same price or lower.

I might get one for my next car, however I fully intend to get as near to 200,000 miles or so in my '09 diesel 207 as possible (65k atm).
    Am hoping perhaps the tech/price points/charging points have caught up by then...
    The lifespan of electric cars (and particularly battery life) is another significant issue.
    Batteries are a big problem for both cars and storing renewable power, but an awful lot of effort is being put into improving batteries. If supercapacitors can also be improved they would help enormously in electric transport.
    One of the most reliable car on UK roads is a Toyota Prius which has a rather large battery..

Battery repairs are cheap because individual cells are replaceable. A new battery is £3k...
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I'm still awaiting the collapse of Western Civilisation :)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Bless,

Yaya Toure has apologised for his drink driving conviction, stating that he 'unintentionally consumed alcohol'.

That's what I used to tell my parents!
    It is very reminiscent of the excuse Ross came out with when he slept with Chloe.

Ross: I made a mistake, okay?

Rachel: A mistake? What were you trying to put it in, her purse?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,501

GIN1138 said:

Third - Like the car manufacturers when Jezza has banned petrol cars!

It's another example of people betting the future on technology that isn't here yet. Yes, there are electric cars, but the ones that exist are at neither the price point or performance (e.g. range) to replace fossil-fuelled cars.

I'm struggling to think of when an inferior technology last replaced a superior one (at least from the consumers' point of view).

The focus at the moment should be on getting the diesel killers off the roads which is what Sadiq Khan is pressing for in London.
    I can understand that, but I'm not sure how consumers are supposed to react to this new war on diesel, given just a few years ago they were being given incentives to buy them!

Slightly tongue-in-cheek, how long before electric cars become the new enemy?
    I learned an interesting stat recently: 90% of the national fleet is replaced every 7 years - that is, only 10% of cars on the road are more than 7 years old. Seems a quick turnaround, given how well cars last nowadays, no? Anyway, that gives a starting point for how quickly you can reasonably implement a policy like that.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, I'm still awaiting the collapse of Western Civilisation :)

Electric cars are the end of Western Civilisation.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Sandpit said:

philiph said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Of course we could reduce the numbers of cars if more people took trains...

Oh, wait...

So, the first test for an electric car is to get from Brighton to London and back. ;)
    That is easy for the range of several on the market now.
    Most of them can do 150 miles yes, but that's not the same as getting from London to Brighton and back, including slow traffic, heating or a/c as appropriate etc. The Tesla Model S could do it, but not anything cheaper without a very nervous driver for the last few miles.
    I watched a MythBusters on this where they drove identical vehicles round a test track to compare AC vs Windows Open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Je_995cdI

• Options

GIN1138 said:

It's another example of people betting the future on technology that isn't here yet. Yes, there are electric cars, but the ones that exist are at neither the price point or performance (e.g. range) to replace fossil-fuelled cars.

I'm struggling to think of when an inferior technology last replaced a superior one (at least from the consumers' point of view).

The focus at the moment should be on getting the diesel killers off the roads which is what Sadiq Khan is pressing for in London.

I confess i have a diesel at the moment, but i'll be changing back to petrol one next year.
  • Options

Or "barely half the desired rate". We should take note of the direction of travel, but it's hardly astronomical.

George and Dave were right to resign..
    Fixed it for you.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    dr_spyn said:
    It would be gross folly. Where would they save a single deposit? Corby?

A more mischievous ploy would have been to stand as a one-off in Richmond Park....
  • Options

Fixed it for you.
    Dave resigned, George was sacked by the Gordon Brown in £995 leather pants.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

philiph said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Oh, wait...

So, the first test for an electric car is to get from Brighton to London and back. ;)
    Most of them can do 150 miles yes, but that's not the same as getting from London to Brighton and back, including slow traffic, heating or a/c as appropriate etc. The Tesla Model S could do it, but not anything cheaper without a very nervous driver for the last few miles.
    I watched a MythBusters on this where they drove identical vehicles round a test track to compare AC vs Windows Open.
    ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Je_995cdI
    Yes, that was a good one. The eventual answer being that you should use a/c on the motorway and windows open around town, as the windows open going fast really screws up the airflow around the car.

On a similar subject, and noting the name of one poster on here this morning, there's a new show 'White Rabbit Project' on Netflix this week - fun and geeky science show featuring the old Mythbusters build team of Kari, Grant and Tory. I've seen the first couple and it's good so far.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    edited December 2016

Mr. Rex, not just early firearms. Even by the Napoleonic era, a thousand English archers with longbows would chewed up a battalion of musketeers quite nicely.

However, archery's a lot harder to learn and gain sufficient strength/stamina in, whereas the guns were a lot easier. (Point and shoot, enormous shoulder muscles not required).

Plus, firearms and their ammunition were cheaper to make, and the raw materials didn't take decades to grow or have to be imported from Spain. And your battalion of musketeers takes up a lot less frontage than your thousand archers.

But the point is that theoretically superior technologies often do get replaced with stuff that is actually pretty rubbish for perfectly good but not always obvious reasons.

Though nobody ever told Mad Jack Churchill that, apparently.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, Rachel's fault. You can't call for a break then complain when you get a break. It's like hosting an orgy and complaining your husband's sleeping with someone else.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I confess i have a diesel at the moment, but i'll be changing back to petrol one next year.
    My Spitfire only runs on 4*. Thankfully, it's in bits right now so this isn't a problem :wink:
  • Options

I have just topped up by bets on Clive Lewis being next Labour leader. Currently on BF he is just ahead of Starmer as the two favourites.

It will be the left that does for Corbyn in the end. We might be looking at a Lewis - Nandy contest.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

GIN1138 said:

VHS and Betamax?
    That was a competition between two new technologies. I'm talking about a replacement; as if DVDs had been the dominant tech for a decade and was then replaced with VHS.
    The initial smartphones were inferior at the function of being a mobile telephone but they still put Nokia out of business.
    The initial ones were inferior - including ones by Nokia AFAICR. It was the iPhone that made the other functions worthwhile over the slight loss in telephony function (e.g. battery life). Mainly as telephony became very much a subsidiary function.

But yes, that's a good answer to the question posed.
    Generic lager displacing proper beer?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

In the era of electric, driverless cars will trains still be a thing?

Tehy'll have to be, our road network couldn't take the strain of the extra cars, regardless of how you run them.
  • Options

Fixed it for you.
    How does a grand on TM's leather trousers compare with the cost of one of the suits worn by some of the more flash MP's?
  • Options

Good second order differential there.
  • Options

But archers have a huge advantage in firing at their enemy with an arc. Muskets require line of site to the enemy. Even the lowest of berms would make the archers safe until musketeers came within bayonet range.
  • Options

I have just topped up by bets on Clive Lewis being next Labour leader. Currently on BF he is just ahead of Starmer as the two favourites.

It will be the left that does for Corbyn in the end. We might be looking at a Lewis - Nandy contest.
    I think Richard Burgon and Emily Thornberry might also be contenders
  • Options
    Mr. Rex, ha, I've read of him. Splendid fellow. Mad as a brush.

Mr. Eagles, trousers*, not pants. Honestly.
  • Options

Fixed it for you.
    How does a grand on TM's leather trousers compare with the cost of one of the suits worn by some of the more flash MP's?
    Dunno, but mentioning it really irks Mrs May and her staff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

My Spitfire only runs on 4*. Thankfully, it's in bits right now so this isn't a problem :wink:
    My old man's Messerschmitt only runs on 2 stroke. Very cool car though. (Google KR200 if you want a pic).
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

But archers have a huge advantage in firing at their enemy with an arc. Muskets require line of site to the enemy. Even the lowest of berms would make the archers safe until musketeers came within bayonet range.
    You still have to be able to see the enemy in order to hit him!
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, Rachel's fault. You can't call for a break then complain when you get a break. It's like hosting an orgy and complaining your husband's sleeping with someone else.

It ain't over until she changes her relationship status on Facebook.
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, true (incidentally, that musket weakness also applies to crossbows).
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

*has image of Merlin engine in bits over the kitchen table....*
  • Options

Good second order differential there.
    I was told I'd make an excellent spin doctor.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I see your grasp of history remains feeble as ever.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

philiph said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Oh, wait...

Yes, that was a good one. The eventual answer being that you should use a/c on the motorway and windows open around town, as the windows open going fast really screws up the airflow around the car.

On a similar subject, and noting the name of one poster on here this morning, there's a new show 'White Rabbit Project' on Netflix this week - fun and geeky science show featuring the old Mythbusters build team of Kari, Grant and Tory. I've seen the first couple and it's good so far.
    That's on my watch list. Have you tried Shooter? I'm liking that a lot as well as Narcos S2.

Designated Survivor is hilariously bad - a gigantic plot with a tiny cast. It makes 24 look credible. Kiefer Sutherland seems very keen on this sort of stuff.
  • Options

Don't give the BBC ideas!
  • Options

Not in them days. Amazing how stuff can date so rapidly.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Pulpstar said:

I thought that the problem with large capacitors is that although they can charge rapidly, they can also discharge rapidly. Which means that when they go wrong, they don't burn, they explode.

Perhaps they'll overcome this 'feature' but until they do, it will not be safe enough for cars.

• Options
    The Morning Star calls this liberation.

Syrian pro-government forces have been entering homes in eastern Aleppo and killing those inside, including women and children, the UN says.

The UN's human rights office said it had reliable evidence that in four areas 82 civilians were shot on the spot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-38301629
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I like my diesel, and as I only do about 2k miles/year (London life for you) then I don't fret too much about the pollution.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

philiph said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Oh, wait...

That's on my watch list. Have you tried Shooter? I'm liking that a lot as well as Narcos S2.

Designated Survivor is hilariously bad - a gigantic plot with a tiny cast. It makes 24 look credible. Kiefer Sutherland seems very keen on this sort of stuff.
    Will take a look at Shooter, thanks. Designated Survivor is on my watch list, sounded promising but maybe I'll shunt it down a few places.
  • Options

I am green on a fair sprinkling of likely candidates and a couple of outliers such as return by Ed Balls. Not on Thornberry though. May have to top up again in the new year.
  • Options
    Mr. Borough, Stargate: SG-1 was quite good. In early series they still had floppy disks. By the end things were almost up to date (major change since, which I think was in Atlantis, was the tablet).
  • Options
    edited December 2016

I am green on a fair sprinkling of likely candidates and a couple of outliers such as return by Ed Balls. Not on Thornberry though. May have to top up again in the new year.
    Surely not even the new Labour 'membership' are stupid enough to elect someone who sneers at their core vote quite so much as Lady Nugee?
  • Options

Fixed it for you.
    As someone who had some very expensive leather trousers - but not as pricey as Mrs May - they're a bugger and very unforgiving.

They're very unforgiving, stretch unless you never sit down or bend your knees, and need you to be at least a size smaller - or they'll do it for you after a single wear.
  • Options

It's a joke. There was a recent Iron Man comic with a flashback to 1992 and one of characters says 'There's something not right about him, I'll google him' IN 1992
  • Options

@HurstLlama's post about *point blank* was fascinating - the whole arc stuff et al.

Perhaps someone with Google Fu can find it.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

My old man's Messerschmitt only runs on 2 stroke. Very cool car though. (Google KR200 if you want a pic).
    :smiley:
  • Options

God help them, but yes.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    edited December 2016
    Mr. Eagles, so was my comment! :p

If it makes you feel any better, I'm having a flash sale for Saint Lucy's Day. Free book with code FY45U at https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/313503

Edited extra bit: should stress it's Journey to Altmortis that's free.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I thought that the problem with large capacitors is that although they can charge rapidly, they can also discharge rapidly. Which means that when they go wrong, they don't burn, they explode.

Perhaps they'll overcome this 'feature' but until they do, it will not be safe enough for cars.
    The best battery for renewable power is pumped storage. We need another 10 Dinorwigs. That'd transform wind and solar viability.
  • Options

You still have to be able to see the enemy in order to hit him!
    Longest kill shot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MK4SEoBFXk
  • Options

It's a joke. There was a recent Iron Man comic with a flashback to 1992 and one of characters says 'There's something not right about him, I'll google him' IN 1992
    You'd 'Vlib' him in 1992 ;)
    http://www.wordstream.com/articles/internet-search-engines-history
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

*has image of Merlin engine in bits over the kitchen table....*
    :love:

Her cylinder head was on the kitchen worktop for weeks...
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I've been called a member of the globalist elite by someone at work today. D:

Apparently having a foreign girlfriend and moving to Switzerland qualifies me.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,218

Mr. P, there's some discussion about deliberately making noise for electric cars. Hooves clopping could be one.

I don't recall ever being that worried about being hit by the milk float. Funny isn't it though. Those things worked fine 40 years ago.
  • Options
    The only next Labour leader candidates I'm red on are David Miliband and Owen Smith. Otherwise I'm heavily green all round.

I'm reasonably comfortable with this.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

That's nothing. I'm regularly called a member of the liberal metropolitan elite.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Absolutely, you have a fully-paid up life membership.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

GIN1138 said:

I like my diesel, and as I only do about 2k miles/year (London life for you) then I don't fret too much about the pollution.
    Surely a petrol engine would be better for you? I'd always thought that diesels, with their higher purchase costs but better longevity, lower running costs and lower CO2 output, are more suited to high mileage folk like company reps; while petrols, with their lower purchase price and particulate emissions, are better for short, urban trips.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Did you tell them you campaigned for Leave in London? :lol:
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,984

Fixed it for you.
    A friend of mine has made suits for David Cameron, and they don't cost less than £995
  • Options
    Major straw in the wind. She applied to be the candidate in the Oldham by-election IIRC.

https://twitter.com/KateGodfrey_/status/808624503685345280
  • Options

Major straw in the wind. She applied to be the candidate in the Oldham by-election IIRC.

My brother's another, much smaller straw. Lifelong labour party member, now utterly fed up with Corbyn and very seriously considering switching to Lib Dems.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Safety is a paramount consideration, so I guess Mazda has taken that into account:
    http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/env/i-eloop/
  • Options

Is that supposed to mean anything or is it some experiment in verbal salad?
  • Options

Anorak said:

GIN1138 said:

Surely a petrol engine would be better for you? I'd always thought that diesels, with their higher purchase costs but better longevity, lower running costs and lower CO2 output, are more suited to high mileage folk like company reps; while petrols, with their lower purchase price and particulate emissions, are better for short, urban trips.
    Yep. But the replacement cost outweighs the benefits at this point in time. Bought it when I was doing 15k a year or more. C'est la vie, as they say in foreign parts.
  • Options

This is someone whose moniker used to be KateVotesLabour - so as you say, a straw in the wind worth taking note of.
  • Options

This is someone whose moniker used to be KateVotesLabour - so as you say, a straw in the wind worth taking note of.
    How'd you price up Lab vs Lib Vote % next GE?

And you @Tissue_Price
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,127

That's what I was going to ask. I can't make sense of it at all.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Safety is a paramount consideration, so I guess Mazda has taken that into account:
    Lithium batteries are also not exactly renowned for their stability, but can usually be engineered to be safe enough for commercial use.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The biggest electric shock I ever got was from the capacitor in a fan. Unplugged, it threw me across the office, and left me dazed for a while after. It was a truly weird and sobering experience.

I've seen my TV jump and home phone zapped by lightning - this was personal.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I'm not sure that nationalising is the answer, that would hand the unions a huge victory and send a message to all other franchise employees. Unfortunately we are at the stage where ploughing on is the least worst option.
    Nationalisation is the inevitable knee-jerk reaction from the noisy left, just as the Reagan-Air Traffic Controllers solution is the inevitable knee-jerk reaction from the noisy right.

Not sure that either solution will have any positive effect but that doesn't mean we won't get the one or the other.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

That's nothing. I'm regularly called a member of the liberal metropolitan elite.
    The globalist elite is Mark Carney and George Osborne, while the metropolitan liberal elite is Jez and Diane. #winning
  • Options
    isam said:

And you @Tissue_Price
    My central expectations are probably something like:

Con 43
    Lab 23
    LD 16
    UKIP 8
    Others 10

So on that basis, and given that it's all very volatile, maybe Lab 1/3 vs LD 9/4 ???
  • Options

Just tried to cram a bit too much into a tweet, I think. There's an implied "join the Lib Dems" at the end.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Pulpstar said:

The best battery for renewable power is pumped storage. We need another 10 Dinorwigs. That'd transform wind and solar viability.
    Dinorwig is worth visiting, very impressive.
    Flow batteries and cryo storage are just two other methods being developed.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19785689
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,127
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The globalist elite is Mark Carney and George Osborne, while the metropolitan liberal elite is Jez and Diane. #winning
    Perhaps your consternation about getting to Bath means you qualify for both descriptions. ;)
  • Options

isam said:

And you @Tissue_Price

Con 43
    Lab 23
    LD 16
    UKIP 8
    Others 10

So on that basis, and given that it's all very volatile, maybe Lab 1/3 vs LD 9/4 ???
    I thought 72/28!! We are herding
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

The only next Labour leader candidates I'm red on are David Miliband and Owen Smith. Otherwise I'm heavily green all round.

@AlastairMeeks I'm slowly adding Keir Starmer to the red list, it is Jeremy Corbyn and a hundred dwarves. I'm not sure that anyone bar perhaps Lewis should be sub 9-1.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    It's an excellent article. The entire Tory philosophy since 1977 has been sell our country's assets down the river. Managed decline and asset stripping. And New Labour was happy to confer its assent through continuity policies. How can you take back control over this?

What will happen when the CDEs realise they've been duped again by Bozo and assorted other demagogues? How do you deliver the outcome they want, which is better jobs, with higher pay? A question I've asked on here repeatedly in various guises and only had 1-2 attempts at an answer.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Pulpstar said:

Dinorwig is worth visiting, very impressive.
    Flow batteries and cryo storage are just two other methods being developed.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19785689
    Another 10 Dinorwigs would be great, but finding suitable sites for them might be a problem!
  • Options

isam said:

And you @Tissue_Price

Con 43
    Lab 23
    LD 16
    UKIP 8
    Others 10

This gives a Con majority of 134 on current boundaries (given a separate Scottish input too): http://bit.ly/2gvDLOT
  • Options

It's amazing how much 'old' telly, even a few decades old is now completely outdated by modern tech. About 90% of old comedy and probably 95% of old dedective shows simply don't work in this day and age of mobiles, internet social media etc.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

Did you tell them you campaigned for Leave in London? :lol:
    Just because you voted leave doesn't stop you being elite!

Trump's the elite. He's an oligarch.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    It's an excellent article. The entire Tory philosophy since 1977 has been sell our country's assets down the river. Managed decline and asset stripping. And New Labour was happy to confer its assent through continuity policies. How can you take back control over this?

What will happen when the CDEs realise they've been duped again by Bozo and assorted other demagogues? How do you deliver the outcome they want, which is better jobs, with higher pay? A question I've asked on here repeatedly in various guises and only had 1-2 attempts at an answer.
    I'm intrigued by your description of the UK post-1977 - one of the world's most successful economies in that time - as "asset stripping"...
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

And you @Tissue_Price

Con 43
    Lab 23
    LD 16
    UKIP 8
    Others 10

I thought 72/28!! We are herding
    I would have thought, without too much detailed analysis, the Lib Dems' chances of getting a higher vote share than Labour, even with all the volatility, could not be better than 10% (and I feel that I'm being generous to the sandalistas there). No I'm not taking bets on that.
  • Options

It's amazing how much 'old' telly, even a few decades old is now completely outdated by modern tech. About 90% of old comedy and probably 95% of old dedective shows simply don't work in this day and age of mobiles, internet social media etc.
    I wish twitter existed when The West Wing was on.

Just imagine Toby's reaction to stuff said on Twitter.
  • Options

Stood in Stafford 2015?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Absolutely, you have a fully-paid up life membership.
    Even though I'm going to Switzerland to work rather than avoid tax and my girlfriend is Swiss and not Russian? D:
  • Options
    Mr. Max, Maximus Elitius?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@AlastairMeeks I'm slowly adding Keir Starmer to the red list, it is Jeremy Corbyn and a hundred dwarves. I'm not sure that anyone bar perhaps Lewis should be sub 9-1.
    I'm wary of laying Sir Keir Starmer. For starters, he appears to have some real talent, which marks him out from most of the putative competition.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I'm intrigued by your description of the UK post-1977 - one of the world's most successful economies in that time - as "asset stripping"...
    One man's wealth creator is another's, err, asset stripper.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    I'll have £100 on Lab 1-3 vs Lib Dems vote share next GE if anyone is offering :)
  • Options

I'm wary of laying Sir Keir Starmer. For starters, he appears to have some real talent, which marks him out from most of the putative competition.

Having some real talent may well count against him.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'll have £100 on Lab 1-3 vs Lib Dems vote share next GE if anyone is offering :)

I'll lay it... feels like a bad price now! 100 to win 33.33 you have
  • Options
    Taking of Sir Keir

Labour 'will fight for a soft Brexit' says Keir Starmer

Labour's Brexit spokesman today said the party would fight for soft-Brexit that gives British businesses easy access to trade.

Sir Keir Starmer said Labour has a clear plan for the country after it quits the EU, while the Government “veers” between the “undefined” and “vague”.

He used his speech at Bloomberg LP’s European headquarters in Central London today to say the party would fight any strategy that “tears us apart from our EU partners”.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/labour-will-fight-for-a-soft-brexit-says-keir-starmer-a3418976.html
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    edited December 2016
    Will Sadiq Khan ban hospitals, firms from the use of diesel back up power generators?
This discussion has been closed.