Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Young Prezza to save old Jezza? the task facing Corbyn’s new s

124»

Comments

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,204
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Sandpit said:

Okay, did Jeremy Corbyn really give a big shout out to the posties, just as they announced a strike the week before Christmas?

It's a gift...
    As opposed to the millions of gifts that won't be arriving in time for Christmas.

As others have said, time for strike bans in key public services and infrastructure, in favour of arbitration.

Oh, and bring the army in next week to get the Christmas mail through. Seriously, do it.
    And there was I thinking the Royal Mail was a private business.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,924

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Sandpit said:

Okay, did Jeremy Corbyn really give a big shout out to the posties, just as they announced a strike the week before Christmas?

It's a gift...
    As opposed to the millions of gifts that won't be arriving in time for Christmas.

As others have said, time for strike bans in key public services and infrastructure, in favour of arbitration.

Oh, and bring the army in next week to get the Christmas mail through. Seriously, do it.
    It is, mostly. So is Southern Trains, doesn't mean the staff there should be allowed to effectively blackmail their customers either.
  • Options
    Listening to Andy Burnham and Hilary Benn yesterday they are moving labour to a position that they will not accept freedom of movement, contrary to Dianne Abbott's vote losing 'let them all come', and by definition leaving the single market.

For two of labour's big hitters to express this important change of view and policy it does seem that there may be a cross party consensus forming to exit the single market.

If Keir Starmer also moves onto this ground Corbyn and Abbott will have nowhere to go
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Listening to Andy Burnham and Hilary Benn yesterday they are moving labour to a position that they will not accept freedom of movement, contrary to Dianne Abbott's vote losing 'let them all come', and by definition leaving the single market.

For two of labour's big hitters to express this important change of view and policy it does seem that there may be a cross party consensus forming to exit the single market.

If Keir Starmer also moves onto this ground Corbyn and Abbott will have nowhere to go

Has he sold the motor bike?
  • Options

RobD said:
    This is madness - all the children that could be affected and the disruption generally.

The unions are out of control.

Time to outlaw all strikes in the railway industry
    The Post Office is part of the railway industry?
    I didn't express that too well but I believe the railways are vital to the UK and making it illegal for them to strike, just like the police etc, would be in the national interest.

Why not just advocate proscription of striking full stop. It's what you want Big G.
    Not at all. There are responsible strikes and there are irresponsible strikes.

The post strike is cruel beyond belief hitting children and the elderly and the railways are vital to the UK

I agree with Sandpit - send in the army to save Christmas for our children, grandchildren and elderly.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Sandpit said:

It's a gift...

we don't have enough soldiers left any more. and postman pat has probably got more helicopters than the navy.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

I cannot see us agreeing to that.
    It is indicative of an extraordinary mindset on the part of the EU. I can understand - even if I think there is a fair amount of hypocrisy and rigid dogma involved - the EU saying that if we want to be members of the Single Market, we have to accept FoM. But this is going further: it is seeking to extend EU jurisdiction over people living in another country, and a country which has chosen to leave the EU, precisely because it does not want to be subject to EU jurisdiction. It does show a tin ear for why so many people in the UK decided they'd had enough of it.

Are EU citizens living in the US subject to EU law? Or those in Africa? Or in Japan? Or indeed anywhere else? If not, why should EU citizens choosing to live in this particular non-EU state have these special rights?
    We haven't yet made a constitutionally valid decision to leave EU jurisdiction. Scotland has made it clear it wishes to stay within EU jurisdiction. If the EU side is showing more creativity about how to approach the negotiations before we even start it doesn't bode well for achieving any kind of Brexit.
    Rather than creativity what I see is an organization seeking to extend its reach into a country which has just decided to leave it by seeking to undermine the principle that when you reside in a country you abide by its laws. It is seeking to place itself and those people who have its citizenship in the same position as members of the church in medieval times. It would be like British people moving to live in Italy and then seeking to claim that they should not be subject to Italian law.

Laws are made by the state and apply to the people within the state's boundaries. Laws are not something which attach to individual people regardless of where they live. There are exceptions of course: diplomats for their professional work, US citizens being subject to US tax law regardless of where they live. But the principle that a country should be able to apply its laws to all the people who reside in its territory, regardless of whether they are citizens and regardless of where they came from is a good one and not one which should be undermined by the EU, no matter how important it thinks it is.

• Options

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Sandpit said:

It's a gift...

we don't have enough soldiers left any more. and postman pat has probably got more helicopters than the navy.
    Bet the individual posties will be delighted at losing all those Christmas tips
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,218
    edited December 2016

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Sandpit said:

It's a gift...

Och. don't spoil the PB Christmas fantasy, to wit that strikes should only be allowed when it causes absolutely no inconvenience or expense to business, government or the general public. They're the sort of strikes that really get results.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Except that Corbyn is still the leader of the Labour Party and the rebels cannot get rid of him. By defying him they help constantly to reinforce the narrative that Labour is both rudderless and hopelessly divided.

Which can only be helpful.
  • Options

Except that Corbyn is still the leader of the Labour Party and the rebels cannot get rid of him. By defying him they help constantly to reinforce the narrative that Labour is both rudderless and hopelessly divided.

Which can only be helpful.
    I am not suggesting they will get rid of him - just they will ignore him
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,055
    The storm's finally blown over for Ian McCaskill.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38294661

RIP.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

We haven't yet made a constitutionally valid decision to leave EU jurisdiction. Scotland has made it clear it wishes to stay within EU jurisdiction. If the EU side is showing more creativity about how to approach the negotiations before we even start it doesn't bode well for achieving any kind of Brexit.

What a load of bollocks. We can't say anything about our line of negotiating nor our negotiating competence until the negotiations begin.

Our side has floated some balloons (cake and eating it), their side is floating some too (FoM and now this idiocy). Neither side expect them to fly.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    New thread!
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    When I was a sixth former I worked on delivery and sorting at the Post Office Mail during the Christmas period.

Unfortunately I did not get paid for all the hours I worked because as an under 18, by law I was not supposed to work the 12 hours I did each day.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,924

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Sandpit said:

It's a gift...

Bet the individual posties will be delighted at losing all those Christmas tips
    And I bet the young squaddies would be over the moon with a few donations to the mess fund. ;)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    MTimT said:

What a load of bollocks. We can't say anything about our line of negotiating nor our negotiating competence until the negotiations begin.

Our side has floated some balloons (cake and eating it), their side is floating some too (FoM and now this idiocy). Neither side expect them to fly.
    Brexit itself is not going to fly. The only question is how it will fail to happen.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,084

Scott_P said:
    Posties want to safeguard jobs, therefore decide to strike just before Christmas. Fuck off customers, accelerate decline of snail mail. Brilliant logic.
    The Post Office is not part of Royal Mail
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    MTimT said:

You seem to be forgetting last week's Commons motion where the Government was required to publish its( soi-disant) "plans".

All will be revealed.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

RobD said:
    This is madness - all the children that could be affected and the disruption generally.

I didn't express that too well but I believe the railways are vital to the UK and making it illegal for them to strike, just like the police etc, would be in the national interest.

Why not just advocate proscription of striking full stop. It's what you want Big G.

The post strike is cruel beyond belief hitting children and the elderly and the railways are vital to the UK

I agree with Sandpit - send in the army to save Christmas for our children, grandchildren and elderly.
    Don't they still hire an army of temporary workers anyway? Are they not now earning the Christmas money they were hoping for? That's cruel, too.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Sandpit said:

It's a gift...

It is, mostly. So is Southern Trains, doesn't mean the staff there should be allowed to effectively blackmail their customers either.
    Maybe the companies involved should show a bit more willingness to reach a negotiated settlement.
  • Options

RobD said:

Are you going to give me some examples of what you consider to be a responsible strike.

I think there is a place for one man operation but not sure that rammed commuter trains on the southern are it.
  • Options

RobD said:

After the cuts to the military there might be enough to deliver to Rhyl snd Prestatyn but doubt they'd manage Colwyn Bay too.
This discussion has been closed.