Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Looking at Leigh in Gtr Manchester – the seat which Paul Nutta

13»

Comments

• Options

SeanT said:

If this is true, it's insanely stupid, self harming and idiotic

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/dec/12/uk-halve-international-student-visa-tougher-rules

This would destroy UK universities. What is wrong with May and Rudd? Are they just dim?

Boris is right: take students out of the migration stats, unless they stay on after they graduate.

FFS.

May is interestrd in her career, not what is best for the UK. She'd rather have headlines about cutting immigration than the benefits our world class university system currently delivers.

The net migration challenge from students is the ones who use study or a course as a figleaf to cover their intent to permanently migrate to the UK and do not return home at the end of their course. Otherwise it wouldn't matter.

Questions like this seem perfectly legitimate to me in deciding whether to grant such visas.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

Perhaps spurs will maintain their better record than Arsenal in the CL then? A small crumb.....

How's that? Spurs have never won it have they?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    PlatoSaid said:

I'll eat McDonalds sober and every kind of kebab. I love it all. Meat, n'fat, n'grease, n'carbs. Delicious. It's why I am such a fat git, of course; but I've had a great time getting this way.

I'm not a fan of the traditional kebab, but doner meat on naan bread i find to be the ultimate fast fusion food. i don't have to be drunk to enjoy it but it does requires beer accompaniment.
    As a serious carnivore, I'd eat a steak stuck on a fork. Doners with chilli sauce, pickled cabbage and salad/onions is beyond delicious - but too greasy without beer. I used to get a spare slipper too as our favourite kebab takeaway chilli sauce was pretty devilish.

Does anyone know what the lamb shank dish is called - braised, meat falls off the bone? Only had it once and it was superb.
    Kleftiko?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

PlatoSaid said:

I'll eat McDonalds sober and every kind of kebab. I love it all. Meat, n'fat, n'grease, n'carbs. Delicious. It's why I am such a fat git, of course; but I've had a great time getting this way.

I'm not a fan of the traditional kebab, but doner meat on naan bread i find to be the ultimate fast fusion food. i don't have to be drunk to enjoy it but it does requires beer accompaniment.
    As a serious carnivore, I'd eat a steak stuck on a fork. Doners with chilli sauce, pickled cabbage and salad/onions is beyond delicious - but too greasy without beer. I used to get a spare slipper too as our favourite kebab takeaway chilli sauce was pretty devilish.

Does anyone know what the lamb shank dish is called - braised, meat falls off the bone? Only had it once and it was superb.
    Kleftiko?
    Thanxxx - will have a looksee, best lamb I've ever had.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    MaxPB said:

PlatoSaid said:

KFC is my vice - haven't eaten for 2yrs, but if they delivered I'd be a shareholder...
    Deliveroo!
    Alas it doesn't work in rural areas.
  • Options
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

Off topic (and my first post). Betfair have a next merc F1 driver market. Bottas can be laid at 2.0 and Joe Saward's blog suggests Williams will not be able to release him even if they want to. . Dyor and I hope this tip helps.

Welcome to PB. Some of us here got on Bottas at 5/2, and I think he's still the driver Toto wants.

The sticking point is believed to be the contract Stroll has with Williams, which possibly requires Bottas to be his team mate. They'd need an equally experienced development driver (and older, over 21 'cos alcohol sponsorship) to replace him, possibly Paul Di Resta rather than Pascal Wherlein. Joe Saward is indeed well a connected hack, and often right with his musings.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2016/12/12/lowe-expectations/
    My guess is that it needs to be someone far older than 21 to pacify martini...
    Agree that joe is connected and usually right. He initially had Bottas as grab,so I backed as next world champ at 500, but the Williams contractual clauses make for an interesting read.

I'm loathed to bet much on this market as i expect that someone with inside info will clean up prior to an official announcement.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/dec/12/uk-halve-international-student-visa-tougher-rules

This would destroy UK universities. What is wrong with May and Rudd? Are they just dim?

Boris is right: take students out of the migration stats, unless they stay on after they graduate.

FFS.

Theresa May has been wrong about this issue for years. However, note that student visas are not just for what most would regard as traditional universities but also for all sorts of colleges, some of which offer degrees and others do not, and it might be that some of these are being abused.
    As I understand it, most of the low hanging fruit in this orchard was plucked years ago: the Tories seriously reduced the numbers of dodgy "language colleges" etc etc.

What's left is pretty much real students, at proper universities. If they go home after their courses, what is the problem? If they want to stay on, count them as migrants and impose all the usual restrictions.
    I think it would be easier to just tighten up which institutions get to give out visa stamps and take the student numbers out of net migration until after they graduate and have stayed for longer than 90 days, either working or looking for work.
    I think student numbers need to be included lest it become a loophole.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

PlatoSaid said:

Kleftiko?
    Food cooked by thieves. I doubt that you'd find it any fast food outlet - it needs to be cooked slowly for hours. Delicious though. Fell in love with it when posted to Cyprus and I still cook it from time to time for Herself - it makes a great casserole type dish that can be eaten in the summer.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited December 2016
    Just had a friend on the phone who tells me her daughter is good friends with Nuttall's step daughter-his partner is a UPIP MEP Louise Beard(?)-and apparently they are both very nice!!!! It seems they've joined the Cheshire set so he should go down well in Leigh.

• Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    edited December 2016

SeanT said:

FFS.

May is interestrd in her career, not what is best for the UK. She'd rather have headlines about cutting immigration than the benefits our world class university system currently delivers.

The net migration challenge from students is the ones who use study or a course as a figleaf to cover their intent to permanently migrate to the UK and do not return home at the end of their course. Otherwise it wouldn't matter.

This abuse was tackled years ago.

If they want to stay on a the end of their course, they either need to start a new course of study or get a job that complies with skilled worker Tier 2 visa regulations.

There is no evidence there is large scale abuse of this requirement; cutting international student numbers is simply an easy way to see a large reduction in the migration stats.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I tripped across this extraordinary tale on Mysteries at the Museum - for car fans, it may be of interest - weirder than DeLorean

http://jalopnik.com/murder-transsexuals-and-the-price-is-right-the-story-464820740

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdvSZmRnww
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Quite keen on the doner rolls they have in London - just a massive wedge of doner meat in a burger bun with chilli sauce. I do miss Scottish chippies, though. I'm planning on investing in a battered pizza and chips at some point while I'm back home for the festive break.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

FFS.

Theresa May has been wrong about this issue for years. However, note that student visas are not just for what most would regard as traditional universities but also for all sorts of colleges, some of which offer degrees and others do not, and it might be that some of these are being abused.
    As I understand it, most of the low hanging fruit in this orchard was plucked years ago: the Tories seriously reduced the numbers of dodgy "language colleges" etc etc.

What's left is pretty much real students, at proper universities. If they go home after their courses, what is the problem? If they want to stay on, count them as migrants and impose all the usual restrictions.
    I think it would be easier to just tighten up which institutions get to give out visa stamps and take the student numbers out of net migration until after they graduate and have stayed for longer than 90 days, either working or looking for work.
    I think the issue is that the government are piss poor at policing which institutions can sponsor visas. If we moved from blacklisting to whitelisting then it would solve the problem at a stroke, but the Home Office and DoE would actually have to do some work and reassess every tertiary education establishment in the country.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    edited December 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Kleftiko?
    Morocco also has lots of slow cooked lamb recipes, which it sounds as if you might like. There's one called Tangia - known locally as batchelor's stew since all you have to do is bung the lamb, garlic and some spices into a pot, take it to the local oven on your way to work, then collect it on the way home.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

MaxPB said:

Pro_Rata said:

SeanT said:

FFS.

Of course, a steady state ingress of 300,000 first years and egress of 300,000 graduates would be totally neutral to net migrations, (up to the point where they stay on after their studies).

I don't know if this still holds true, but my experience of international students was that they were, in the main, either utterly brilliant or relatives of state officials who were a danger to themselves and others (I was STEM, obviously the chance the hurt anything more than TSE's feelings with some terrible Classics exposition is somewhat limited). There was very little middle ground.
    The problem isn't students so much as it is them bringing dependents and then having "family reunions" once they get citizenship. It is a literal back door to immigration to the UK.
    Time spent as a student in the UK doesn't count for citizenship however.
    Yes, I know. It's less of a problem now with the work restrictions that have been imposed on graduates, but the damage was done from 2001-2012.
  • Options
    Pork souvlaki is the best European style kebab, IMO. Best Asian style kebab is easily lamb seekh, done over a coal fire and served with a bit of lemon and fresh coriander. Heaven.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Quite keen on the doner rolls they have in London - just a massive wedge of doner meat in a burger bun with chilli sauce. I do miss Scottish chippies, though. I'm planning on investing in a battered pizza and chips at some point while I'm back home for the festive break.
    :lol:

As a Geordie, I confess to hating stottie cake. Gravy chips are to die for.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Kleftiko?
    Morocco also has lots of slow cooked lamb recipes, which it sounds as if you might like. There's one called Tangia - known locally as batchelor's stew since all you have to do is bung the lamb, garlic and some spices into a pot, take it to the local oven on your way to work, then collect it on the way home.
    Interesting the Cypriots used to have a system of communal ovens as well. Even in the 1980's the village baker would not only bake the bread but also cook your dinner, for a modest fee. I wonder if the recipes used in Tangia are actually very similar to Kleftiko, allowing for family variations.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Kleftiko?
    Thanks. I didn't enjoy Moroccan cuisine when there about a decade ago - I was in very rural areas and meat was gristle, fat, bone... fried street donuts were hot and yummy - veg looked nuked but very tasty.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

JonathanD said:

MaxPB said:

Pro_Rata said:

SeanT said:

FFS.

Of course, a steady state ingress of 300,000 first years and egress of 300,000 graduates would be totally neutral to net migrations, (up to the point where they stay on after their studies).

I don't know if this still holds true, but my experience of international students was that they were, in the main, either utterly brilliant or relatives of state officials who were a danger to themselves and others (I was STEM, obviously the chance the hurt anything more than TSE's feelings with some terrible Classics exposition is somewhat limited). There was very little middle ground.
    The problem isn't students so much as it is them bringing dependents and then having "family reunions" once they get citizenship. It is a literal back door to immigration to the UK.
    Yes, I know. It's less of a problem now with the work restrictions that have been imposed on graduates, but the damage was done from 2001-2012.

True, although I think the changes have had long enough to sink in and become known about that there is no purpose in doing damage to the Education Sector.

Incidentally, on the whitelist v blacklist issue, the Home Office already have a whitelist of student visa sponsors (the latest update is from today)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/576561/2016-12-12_Tier_4_Register_of_Sponsors.pdf

• Options
    JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

FFS.

If they want to stay on a the end of their course, they either need to start a new course of study or get a job that complies with skilled worker Tier 2 visa regulations.

There is no evidence there is large scale abuse of this requirement; cutting international student numbers is simply an easy way to see a large reduction in the migration stats.
    Only as a one-off. Long term if people are leaving at the end of their course and if the same number are studying then the net migration figure would be 0.

Of course that doesn't tackle the question of do we want people to leave at the end of their course? Not necessarily.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

There's a chippy 100 yards from my flat which does the best fish and chips in the world.

HOOK on Parkway. It's fish and chips reimagined by two genius kids from Ireland. That's all they do. Freshest fish, lightest batter, chips made in heaven.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d7130836-Reviews-Hook_Camden_Town-London_England.html

Can be a bit Marmitey though. My foodie sister went there and thought it was rubbish. Chacun a son goujon...

Weren't they stars of a Gordon Ramsey challenge? Some great places showcased.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    PlatoSaid said:

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Kleftiko?
    Thanks. I didn't enjoy Moroccan cuisine when there about a decade ago - I was in very rural areas and meat was gristle, fat, bone... fried street donuts were hot and yummy - veg looked nuked but very tasty.
    last time i went out for a curry I had something called lamb nihari which was slow cooked lamb shanks in a rich suace. v. tasty but when i google nihari I think there numerous versions of the dish and not necessarily meat on the bone. I certainly wouldn't have ordered it if it had the optional tongue or brain.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

MaxPB said:

JonathanD said:

MaxPB said:

Pro_Rata said:

SeanT said:

FFS.

True, although I think the changes have had long enough to sink in and become known about that there is no purpose in doing damage to the Education Sector.

Incidentally, on the whitelist v blacklist issue, the Home Office already have a whitelist of student visa sponsors (the latest update is from today)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/576561/2016-12-12_Tier_4_Register_of_Sponsors.pdf

A common sense move, who'd have thought it were possible?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Kleftiko?
    I have been a mad Indian Food fan from the age of 13 when my father first took me to Veeraswamy's just off Regent Street (still I think the best curry house in the UK, though the India Garden in Burgess Hill gives it a run for its money). However, one cuisine which I do not think gets the attention it deserves is the Persian or, if you prefer, Iranian. Why this should be I don't know, possibly due to historical reasons. However, if you come across a Persian/Iranian restaurant I strongly recommend you give it a try.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    I seem to have stumbled onto the PB Cooking Challenge.....

Anyway, the attached article is worth reading - https://www.cato.org/policy-report/novemberdecember-2016/new-old-challenge-global-anti-libertarianism.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Kleftiko?
    last time i went out for a curry I had something called lamb nihari which was slow cooked lamb shanks in a rich suace. v. tasty but when i google nihari I think there numerous versions of the dish and not necessarily meat on the bone. I certainly wouldn't have ordered it if it had the optional tongue or brain.
    One of my favourite pastimes is trying to recreate a dish from elsewhere, but a few have stumped me as I was clearly too tiddly or just can't get my finger on it.

PB suggestions so far may have solved a mystery over two decades old :smiley:
  • Options
    Miss Plato, as an evil PB Tory, surely all your meals involve baby-eating?
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    edited December 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Kleftiko?
    I find slow roast shoulder of lamb hard to beat. The largest joint you can afford, on the bone. Stud with garlic and rosemary, generous glug of olive oil over the top and well seasoned with s&p then in the oven for up to 8 hours at about 150deg C. It's ready when you can fork the meat off the bone.

Edited to remove autocorrect glitches
  • Options
    edited December 2016

PlatoSaid said:

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Kleftiko?
    I have been a mad Indian Food fan from the age of 13 when my father first took me to Veeraswamy's just off Regent Street (still I think the best curry house in the UK, though the India Garden in Burgess Hill gives it a run for its money). However, one cuisine which I do not think gets the attention it deserves is the Persian or, if you prefer, Iranian. Why this should be I don't know, possibly due to historical reasons. However, if you come across a Persian/Iranian restaurant I strongly recommend you give it a try.
    I'll give that a go. I like Greek and Turkish too.

Have you tried the Indian in Heathfield? Think it's called the Curry House - it's on High Street. Do some great dishes. Jasmine Garden in Hailsham is superb.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

JonathanD said:

MaxPB said:

JonathanD said:

MaxPB said:

Pro_Rata said:

SeanT said:

FFS.

I hate to dampen your cynicism about the government! but the Tier 4 sponsor list was introduced in 2013.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Kleftiko?
    I find slow roast shoulder of lamb hard to beat. The largest joint you can afford, on the bone. Stud with garlic and rosemary, generous glug of olive oil over the top and well seasoned with s&p then in the oven for up to 8 hours at about 150deg C. It's ready when you can fork the meat off the bone.

Edited to remove autocorrect glitches
    :love:
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

MaxPB said:

JonathanD said:

MaxPB said:

JonathanD said:

MaxPB said:

Pro_Rata said:

SeanT said:

FFS.

I hate to dampen your cynicism about the government! but the Tier 4 sponsor list was introduced in 2013.
    Yes, I just read about it. Though having had a quick browse of that list there seem to be a lot of dud and dodgy establishments in there. Maybe a thorough audit is required to clean out the deadwood and tightening the rules for new additions as well.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

FFS.

But why do they need to tackle migration stats? I thought Brexit would be the panacea for all that. The only possible conclusion is that a) it's to be ultra-Soft Brexit with negligible change to free movement from the EU or b) the plan is to offset any reduction in free movement from the EU by immigration from elsewhere (India, Mexico?). There can be no other explanation. But will it be enough to assuage Nigel's wrath?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    edited December 2016
    F1: Sainz down to 11 to be Hamilton's team mate, was 21 yesterday (I think), and 17 a few hours ago.

Edited extra bit: still 101 for the title, though. That's 21 to finish top 3. If he goes to Mercedes, that'll be far too long.

Huzzah for Rosberg, giving us the most interesting inter-season interval for quite some time.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

PlatoSaid said:

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Kleftiko?
    Veeraswamy is good food, but not even close to the best curry house on the UK. I'd barely even class it as Indian food these days, not so say that it's not good. For the best Indian food North West London is basically it's home in the UK. That mantle was wrested from Birmingham a while ago and it's not going anywhere. Pick any reasonably busy establishment and you'll get one of the best curries available. The only issue is that most of them have buzzer entry which can intimidate non-Asians.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

PlatoSaid said:

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

snip

Kleftiko?
    Veeraswamy is good food, but not even close to the best curry house on the UK. I'd barely even class it as Indian food these days, not so say that it's not good. For the best Indian food North West London is basically it's home in the UK. That mantle was wrested from Birmingham a while ago and it's not going anywhere. Pick any reasonably busy establishment and you'll get one of the best curries available. The only issue is that most of them have buzzer entry which can intimidate non-Asians.
    I watched the whole series and this eatery looks superb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c65HLgtFrDA
  • Options
    Anyway, I'd best be off. Very interesting seeing the twists and turns in the race to get Mercedes' other seat.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

PlatoSaid said:

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Kleftiko?
    There is quite a decent Persian place a block west of Goodge St station. Good food and good value.

I have very rarely met an Iranian that I didn't like. They are a charming and cultured people, pity they have such a terrible government. Iran is on my to do list.

Burmese cuisine is very interesting too, usually freshwater fish based and curries that have more in common with China than India. I don't know a decent recommendation here in the UK though.
  • Options
    I am going back to Mumbai in February and will be visiting this place once more:

http://www.maheshlunchhome.com/fort.html

I cannot imagine Indian food being better.

If you want slow roast meat, go to Old Castille and the Province of Madrid: Segovia, Avila, Valladolid, Soria, Chinchon etc. Absolutely superb.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    PlatoSaid said:

KFC is my vice - haven't eaten for 2yrs, but if they delivered I'd be a shareholder...
    KFC Zingers can be great when I am in the mood.

McDonald's doesn't do anything for me.

Subway though.....Chicken Tikka, onions, jalapenos and hot chilli sauce mmmmhhhhhhhh

Re excellent curry houses - I have had several people recommend 1 in Manningtree (the Moghul - it once delivered to Hugh Hefner in the states I am told). Walked in on a Sunday with my family, only 2 other people in there which got the warning bells going. Absolute pants - avoid.
  • Options

JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

FFS.

But why do they need to tackle migration stats? I thought Brexit would be the panacea for all that. The only possible conclusion is that a) it's to be ultra-Soft Brexit with negligible change to free movement from the EU or b) the plan is to offset any reduction in free movement from the EU by immigration from elsewhere (India, Mexico?). There can be no other explanation. But will it be enough to assuage Nigel's wrath?
    Or c) migration is a multifaceted serious issue without a single panacea.
  • Options

F1: Sainz down to 11 to be Hamilton's team mate, was 21 yesterday (I think), and 17 a few hours ago.

Edited extra bit: still 101 for the title, though. That's 21 to finish top 3. If he goes to Mercedes, that'll be far too long.

Huzzah for Rosberg, giving us the most interesting inter-season interval for quite some time.

Yes very pleased with Nico.

I don't think sainz has a chance personally, but I got a little on at 150, I'll lay off if he is picked
  • Options
    SeanT said:

There's a chippy 100 yards from my flat which does the best fish and chips in the world.

HOOK on Parkway. It's fish and chips reimagined by two genius kids from Ireland. That's all they do. Freshest fish, lightest batter, chips made in heaven.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d7130836-Reviews-Hook_Camden_Town-London_England.html

Can be a bit Marmitey though. My foodie sister went there and thought it was rubbish. Chacun a son goujon...

This Greenwich chippy recently got itself voted best in London. Not tried it.
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d5244301-Reviews-The_Golden_Chippy-London_England.html
  • Options

I am going back to Mumbai in February and will be visiting this place once more:

http://www.maheshlunchhome.com/fort.html

I cannot imagine Indian food being better.

If you want slow roast meat, go to Old Castille and the Province of Madrid: Segovia, Avila, Valladolid, Soria, Chinchon etc. Absolutely superb.

I'm going to visit my family in India at some point next year, definitely going to add this to my list!
  • Options

SeanT said:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d5244301-Reviews-The_Golden_Chippy-London_England.html
    That's a long way to go for fish and chips.
  • Options

JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

FFS.

Only as a one-off. Long term if people are leaving at the end of their course and if the same number are studying then the net migration figure would be 0.

Of course that doesn't tackle the question of do we want people to leave at the end of their course? Not necessarily.
    Yes, I think that's fair. If the net migration figures were 0 from student numbers then no one would have any objection, yet we see a consistent net annual influx.

The balance should either be considered as a contributor to work visas (and their annual caps) or a renewed study visa, or else we have a loophole.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited December 2016
    MaxPB said:

PlatoSaid said:

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Kleftiko?
    You ever been to the Regency Club in Edgware? Amazing food
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

FFS.

I think the issue is that the government are piss poor at policing which institutions can sponsor visas. If we moved from blacklisting to whitelisting then it would solve the problem at a stroke, but the Home Office and DoE would actually have to do some work and reassess every tertiary education establishment in the country.
    Sounds a good idea to me.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Floater said:

PlatoSaid said:

KFC Zingers can be great when I am in the mood.

McDonald's doesn't do anything for me.

Subway though.....Chicken Tikka, onions, jalapenos and hot chilli sauce mmmmhhhhhhhh

Re excellent curry houses - I have had several people recommend 1 in Manningtree (the Moghul - it once delivered to Hugh Hefner in the states I am told). Walked in on a Sunday with my family, only 2 other people in there which got the warning bells going. Absolute pants - avoid.
    I find too many Indians very high carb - all potatoes/lentils et al. And a bit gloopy/indeterminate/sweet.

If I had to pick a single cuisine for the next 20yrs - it'd be Chinese. And Italian would be an extremely close second.

Edit - McChicken fillet burgers are delicious from memory - nuggets yummy if weird with sweet/sour sauce/drunk.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

As a greenish Libdem, if I lived in Leigh my motivation would be to stop Nuttall, and I would vote Labour. Therein lies UKIP's problem. More people dislike them than like them.

Also worth noting that Nuttall has virtually the worst personal popularity ratings of anyone - much worse than May, Corbyn, Farage, or anyone else on the UK scene. A lot of that must be simply his job, but I do know several Kippers and I've not met one who actually likes him yet - the best I've heard so far is "With luck he'll appeal to white working-class voters apart from me". There's a patronising idea that if you're WWC and shave your head then WWC voters will flock to you, but the WWC is actually diverse like everyone else:

I think he might come second as the media will talk him up, but he won't come close.
    The argument is that we live in a new politics, where all that matters is Leave or Remain and this new dividing line will cut parties in two and split voters away from their usual homes. The guests on BBC Sunday Politics were at it again yesterday, pontificating on this new prism on politics.

Is it really true? Was in Richmond, but will it be in Leigh? This makes the by-election pretty important.

Conservative, Labour and Greens are divided on Brexit.

Only UKIP is solidly pro Brexit and SNP and Lib Dems solidly opposed.

So Labour and Conservative supporters could be confused about what their party stands for.
    But it is not the most salient issue in determining how most people vote. I voted Brexit , but there is not a cat in hell's chance of my voting UKIP or Tory!
  • Options
    edited December 2016

JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

FFS.

Yes, I think that's fair. If the net migration figures were 0 from student numbers then no one would have any objection, yet we see a consistent net annual influx.

The balance should either be considered as a contributor to work visas (and their annual caps) or a renewed study visa, or else we have a loophole.
    Or the number of international students is continually rising ( a UK success story) and therefore there is a lag in the inflow and outflow figures balancing out.
  • Options

There is quite a decent Persian place a block west of Goodge St station. Good food and good value.

I have very rarely met an Iranian that I didn't like. They are a charming and cultured people, pity they have such a terrible government. Iran is on my to do list.

Burmese cuisine is very interesting too, usually freshwater fish based and curries that have more in common with China than India. I don't know a decent recommendation here in the UK though.

I don't know about Burmese cuisine, though I had an uncle that told me the Burmese people were the nicest, most relaxed people he had met anywhere. His experience dated from the 1945 campaign and he might have been talking about a different world.

I agree with you about Iran and the Iranians though. There must be scumbags there (as there are in every country) but it is a place I would love to visit - so much history, so much culture, so much civilisation. Too bad that forty years ago in trying to escape one tyranny they fell for another, worse, one. No doubt they will escape their present one but probably not in my lifetime.

I'll try and find your Goodge Street recommendation the next time I am in Town.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

FFS.

Or the number of international students is continually rising ( a UK success story) and therefore there is a lag in the inflow and outflow figures balancing out.
    And if that's true and a consistent story could be told in the statistics to that effect then that'd be fair enough.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Of course! It's our not very local, local Indian. Any Indian who lives in north or west London has at least heard of it, most have been at least once.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

My most disappointing F&C experience was when our sponsorship manager paid Marco Pierre White for an exclusive client dinner to coincide with the French WCup final - the room was cold, the service surly, the fish a square tepid brick of nothing, accompanied by comedy giant straight cut chips that added nothing Aunt Bessie didn't do 200% better.

How long ago did France host the WCup? Well it's stuck in my memory as a terrible arrogant client pissing off experience.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    JonathanD said:

JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

FFS.

Wouldnt worry about it continually rising even without these daft quotas.
    I think the damage is done to our most successful export... students will head to Canada and Australia instead I suspect.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Here is an incisive piece about the trouble the Democrats are in vis-a-vis the House specifically, and in elections more generally. It is a gentle lament from a centrist candidate in what should be a target district for the Dems:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/12/how-the-democratic-party-lost-its-way-214514

This observation struck me as very important - both for the Dems and Labour:

"the Democratic Congressional leadership comes predominantly from safe districts. Most ranking members haven’t run competitive races in many years, if they’ve run them at all. They don’t understand the skills and experience they need in a caucus staff since they don’t really know what a professional campaign organization looks like and they don’t understand what candidates in competitive districts need to succeed."

Indeed, for Labour, as its elected MPs and hence its ranking officials come increasingly from its inner city redoubts, there is a distinct possibility that it, too, will lose contact completely with the type of voter that Labour would need to win over in order to win an election. It makes me wonder if this is in fact the path that Labour is destined to take to complete irrelevance at the national level.
  • Options
    Good to see that PBers are so discerning and well-informed about how charming, cultured and civilised Iranians are...

(And, yes, the cuisine is absolutely superb, although Persian restaurants usually only give you a rather approximate version of the real thing.)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited December 2016

I don't know about Burmese cuisine, though I had an uncle that told me the Burmese people were the nicest, most relaxed people he had met anywhere. His experience dated from the 1945 campaign and he might have been talking about a different world.

I agree with you about Iran and the Iranians though. There must be scumbags there (as there are in every country) but it is a place I would love to visit - so much history, so much culture, so much civilisation. Too bad that forty years ago in trying to escape one tyranny they fell for another, worse, one. No doubt they will escape their present one but probably not in my lifetime.

This is the place.

Del'ish Restaurant

https://goo.gl/maps/3u7yMNBErgT2

The service is a bit slow, but good food often is!

Nearer to Warren St than Goodge St. My faulty memory!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Almost as far as North_West London for a curry. :D

Greenwich does have one advantage though (other than you can get to it by boat, which is worth doing in and of itself) it has a rather good Pie and Mash shop.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    PlatoSaid said:

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Kleftiko?
    That's a shame. You probably had goat, which is generally like that. The recipes are however superb, and I would have it against Italy in the final for best world cuisine.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    MaxPB said:

MP_SE said:

Of course! It's our not very local, local Indian. Any Indian who lives in north or west London has at least heard of it, most have been at least once.
    I live the other side of London so it is a 3 hour round trip. Still worth it. One of the best Indian restaurants I have been to. The chili paneer is delicious.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

PlatoSaid said:

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Kleftiko?

Very much seconded.

There is a Persian restaurant on the Finchley Road, which I tried once and which was perfectly nice. No idea how authentic, though.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339

Agreed. There are several Iranians in my (former) London poker group, all nice. One, a woman (a cheerful hairdresser and a crack player), said she'd been mistreated by her ex-husband there, which is why she'd moved here. I asked if she'd called the police. She rolled her eyes and said yeah, right, they'd have just beaten me some more. The general consensus, though, was that it wasn't as awful as Saudi, in that if you followed the general spirit of the crazy rules you could have a reasonable life, access the internet pretty freely, express your opinions to your friends, vote for people who weren't 100% pro-regime, etc.

While on the subject of exotic restaurants, a plug for my old Eritrean local, http://www.bisharestaurant.co.uk/the-menu
    - it stirkes a nice balance between being a bit unusual but not ornate, authentic and unusual food but welcoming to English-speakers, and pretty cheap. Typical food is a flatbread with a large choice of fruity or spicy or meaty mixtures which you can eat with your hands or (if an effet westerner) with a knife and fork.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

SeanT said:

There was a pub right on Slapton Sands in South Devon which was the best fish and chips I ever had. Mind, that was about 10 years ago.

Found it - The Start Bay Inn, Torcross, Slapton Sands:

http://www.startbayinn.co.uk
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

JonathanD said:

JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

FFS.

I think the damage is done to our most successful export... students will head to Canada and Australia instead I suspect.
    Absolutely; those amazing world beating Aussie Universities. Remember the Philosophy Department of the University of Didjabringabeeralong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNBy1D1Y0h4

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755

Good to see that PBers are so discerning and well-informed about how charming, cultured and civilised Iranians are...

(And, yes, the cuisine is absolutely superb, although Persian restaurants usually only give you a rather approximate version of the real thing.)

My vicar is half iranian, and a very decent chap.

There cant be many CoE clergy with Farhad as a their middle name
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

MaxPB said:

MP_SE said:

I live the other side of London so it is a 3 hour round trip. Still worth it. One of the best Indian restaurants I have been to. The chili paneer is delicious.
    Everything I've had there is delicious! Well worth the round trip. It's about 90 minutes for me, 45 in each direction.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Almost as far as North_West London for a curry. :D

Greenwich does have one advantage though (other than you can get to it by boat, which is worth doing in and of itself) it has a rather good Pie and Mash shop.
    Worth it though! Easy to get there by tube as well.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2016
    I think I might have mentioned this before, but if you're interested in Persian cooking, or middle-eastern cooking generally, this book is really excellent:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Legendary-Cuisine-Persia-Margaret-Shaida/dp/1902304608

The author is an English woman who married an Iranian (a friend of my father). She spent many years in Teheran and became a real expert on the cuisine. What's particularly good about it is that it's not just a collection of recipes, but also she explains how the dishes relate to each other, and the cultural and historical background. The recipes are also very authentic, which sometimes isn't the case with other authors.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2016
    Cyclefree said:

I seem to have stumbled onto the PB Cooking Challenge.....

Anyway, the attached article is worth reading - https://www.cato.org/policy-report/novemberdecember-2016/new-old-challenge-global-anti-libertarianism.

Interesting read, thanks.

"The moral goodness of liberty needs to be upheld, not only in head-to-head encounters with adversaries, but as a means of stiffening the resistance of classical liberals, lest they continue retreating. Freedom is not an illusion, but a great and noble goal. A life of freedom is better in every respect than a life of submission to others. Violence and antagonism are not the foundation of culture, but their negation.

Now is the time to defend the liberty that makes possible a global civilization that enables friendship, family, cooperation, trade, mutual benefit, science, wisdom — in a word, life — and to challenge the modern anti-libertarian triumvirate and reveal the emptiness at its heart.
    "

Trouble is no-one dares to speak of moral goodness, nowadays.

(edited to add: good afternoon, everyone.)
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

JonathanD said:

JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

FFS.

Only as a one-off. Long term if people are leaving at the end of their course and if the

Absolutely; those amazing world beating Aussie Universities. Remember the Philosophy Department of the University of Didjabringabeeralong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNBy1D1Y0h4

Funny video.
    But we are losing market share - and it seems that's part of the plan!

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-36252302
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

FFS.

If these students were going home at the end of their course, they would be netted out of the immigration stats anyway, eg they would appear as UK residents emigrating. The trouble must be that they aren't.

Its obvious that immigration was what won the referendum for Out, so any politician concerned about their long term survival would be doing the same I guess.
    The political problem for May is that the ones who do go home will only do so when they've done their courses, i.e. in 3-years or more, which means 3 years of the Sun and Mail nagging her about the stupid 100,000 net migration target. For once I agree with Sean - the sensible policy is to welcome them to study (God knows the unis need the dosh, and having some brilliant minds wanting to come here is a bonus), then apply the usual criteria if they want to stay on. Genius engineer, welcome; dodgy management student, goodbye.

And if they had the guts I think they could actually sell that to the electorate. There is a middle ground even in the toughest Leaver areas between "we welcome everyone forever" and "let's get rid of all these doctors and physicists".
  • Options

JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

FFS.

If these students were going home at the end of their course, they would be netted out of the immigration stats anyway, eg they would appear as UK residents emigrating. The trouble must be that they aren't.

Its obvious that immigration was what won the referendum for Out, so any politician concerned about their long term survival would be doing the same I guess.
    The political problem for May is that the ones who do go home will only do so when they've done their courses, i.e. in 3-years or more, which means 3 years of the Sun and Mail nagging her about the stupid 100,000 net migration target. For once I agree with Sean - the sensible policy is to welcome them to study (God knows the unis need the dosh, and having some brilliant minds wanting to come here is a bonus), then apply the usual criteria if they want to stay on. Genius engineer, welcome; dodgy management student, goodbye.

And if they had the guts I think they could actually sell that to the electorate. There is a middle ground even in the toughest Leaver areas between "we welcome everyone forever" and "let's get rid of all these doctors and physicists".
    Not sure if TM could sell that though.
    She is already the woman who missed the migration target totally under the Cameron era.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

snip
    snip

Kleftiko?
    That's a shame. You probably had goat, which is generally like that. The recipes are however superb, and I would have it against Italy in the final for best world cuisine.
    TBH, my entire experience of Morocco was hmm bar buying a nice camel leather handbag.

I'm a tough bird, and the misogyny/grabby behaviour was appalling. My female fellow Landies were left so intimidated that they gave me shopping lists as they couldn't cope with the local men.

I was leered at/asked for sex/grabbed walking down the street for merely being white. I was covered head to foot and followed everywhere by creepy men/my chest commented on/assumed to be a prostitute.

I was on rural Morocco/Algerian border - any liberal inclined man in the UK has NO IDEA about the behaviour of men in these areas and what Europe has invited in. I was one of a party of 12 Land Rover/Toyota drivers who were exploring a new Paris/Dhaka rally parallel route. We spent 3 weeks driving 14hrs a day across the Sahara/establishing rest points/mechanics on the way - so no shrinking violets.

One of our convoy caught fire and they ended up in my Toyota as I was solo. We seriously considered pushing their broke Landy over the edge of a cliff in the Atlas mountains, as getting her down seemed impossible/insurance was easier. After much discussion, we decided to take her back down thousands of feet by roping her between mine and another.

This isn't tourist stuff - it's alternative life - anyone with a spec of knowledge of this culture has held up their hands and said WTF?
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Not sure if TM could sell that though.
    She is already the woman who missed the migration target totally under the Cameron era.

Of course she could sell it. Our good quality universities are, as has been already noted, crammed with overseas students most of whom will play by the rules and go home to form part of their countries's elites. That will not change.

What might change and where we might lose market share is in the third rate institutions, the management training colleges and the language schools and frankly who cares about that.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

new thread

• Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932

The nearest restaurant to me in my remote Pennine village is Persian. Whenever I take visitors there it usually goes to the top of their favourites list. In the next village we have a chippy which people visit from miles around - not surprisingly it is called Compos.
  • Options
    po8crgpo8crg Posts: 23
    UKIP have very few other priorities on May 4 in Greater Manchester, so it might be that - unlike doing this to the Lib Dems - Labour would end up distracting themselves while allowing UKIP to concentrate on the by-election
This discussion has been closed.