Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The final PB/Polling Matters Podcast of 2016: Looking back at

Comments

• Options

On an AA Gill related theme does anyone know who the art critic referred to here is:

' It is the same snobbery that caused an eminent art critic to recently opine on Radio 4 that he hadn’t seen a few Caravaggios being shown off in a London exhibition – because they had been “hidden away in places like Hull and Preston”. They might as well have been on the moon, though he would no doubt have seen them had they been hung in Florence or Paris. '

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/09/northerners-voting-brexit-north-south

Just as school trips are used to show foreign countries to British kids or in an domestic equivalent to show London to non-London kids or farms to urban kids perhaps its time that some of the 'metropolitan elite' took an opportunity to see Blueland.

How many pb-ers have actually been to Preston or Hull ?

(I'd be surprised if there are any Caravaggios in either place, but the essential point that the Arts World is absurdly over-concentrated in London is surely true).
    I've been to Hull. I've started taking my wife on trips to places outside of London as she's been here since 2005 and seen little of the country. We did Bournemouth recently, we have Swansea (long story) and Bath lined up for the Christmas/New Year break.
    You are taking your wife to Swansea in mid-winter as a treat? Brave.
    Ok, the short version: We're going to a spa hotel with decent-looking entertainment and food for NYE. Where in the country doesn't matter so much...

Then we're stopping at Bath on the way back.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

On an AA Gill related theme does anyone know who the art critic referred to here is:

' It is the same snobbery that caused an eminent art critic to recently opine on Radio 4 that he hadn’t seen a few Caravaggios being shown off in a London exhibition – because they had been “hidden away in places like Hull and Preston”. They might as well have been on the moon, though he would no doubt have seen them had they been hung in Florence or Paris. '

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/09/northerners-voting-brexit-north-south

Just as school trips are used to show foreign countries to British kids or in an domestic equivalent to show London to non-London kids or farms to urban kids perhaps its time that some of the 'metropolitan elite' took an opportunity to see Blueland.

(I'd be surprised if there are any Caravaggios in either place, but the essential point that the Arts World is absurdly over-concentrated in London is surely true).
    I've been to Hull. I've started taking my wife on trips to places outside of London as she's been here since 2005 and seen little of the country. We did Bournemouth recently, we have Swansea (long story) and Bath lined up for the Christmas/New Year break.
    Ok, the short version: We're going to a spa hotel with decent-looking entertainment and food for NYE. Where in the country doesn't matter so much...

The lemon dessert at the Gainsborough Hotel in Bath is currently my Favourite Thing in the World. Their white onion soup was pretty damn fine too....
  • Options
    PaganPagan Posts: 259

(Part 2)

Though I have used you to quote Rochdale this is not aimed at you or the labour party

I grew up in a council house in cornwall
    I started my working life working trawlers so I could put myself through college ( a levels I mean here)
    I worked sanding down cars, I worked washing dishes, i worked doing whatever it took to bring in enough money for my family
    I retrained myself after I finally got a job with ICI and got sensitised to chemical and went on to better jobs with higher pay
    My pay has been frozen despite being in an industry we are kept being told has a skill shortage since 2002

What the fuck have labour the lib dems or the conservatives ever done for me?
    Why the hell do you think I voted leave? Remaining was just the gradual slide into me living in a bedsit and barely affording it

• Options
    Just as in the referendum the Sunday Mail is on the opposite side to the Daily Mail
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Bloody hell.....I was being flippant the other day when I said Theresa May didn't seem to believe in anything other than looking nice......

What a pathetic thing to get involved with....it exposes too many weaknesses...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,336
    Floater said:

A pity I missed this morning's thread on the death of the Labour Party. With your indulgence here is something I wrote on the subject this morning addressed to like-minded depressive comrades:

What are we here to do? Are we looking to remove the hated Tories from power so that they can stop hurting people?

I stopped reading at "hated tories"
    Your loss, it was rather a good post. RP will almost certainly get expelled from Labour for saying things like this. Bearers of bad tidings, especially accurate ones, are unpopular.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Theresa May's a pound shop Gordon Brown with this level of paranoia.

https://twitter.com/telepolitics/status/807708017227485184
  • Options

The lemon dessert at the Gainsborough Hotel in Bath is currently my Favourite Thing in the World. Their white onion soup was pretty damn fine too....
    I saw a Kingfisher near the weir at Pulteney Bridge, back in October last year! (also did Bath to Westbury, Westbury to Frome, and Newbury to Westbury that trip).
  • Options
    tyson said:

Bloody hell.....I was being flippant the other day when I said Theresa May didn't seem to believe in anything other than looking nice......

Nicky Morgan never got over Theresa May sacking her and has done everything to be a trouble maker
  • Options

Theresa May's a pound shop Gordon Brown with this level of paranoia.

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/807705517426667521

Monitoring Nicky Morgan is the wrong approach.

She should be whipped naked through the streets of Aylesbury and then exiled to the most remote parts of Bristol to spread education among the heathen by teaching in one of the Oasis academy schools.

After she's done that for fifty years, if she asks nicely, teachers might consider forgiving her for all the abuse she heaped on us.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

tyson said:

Nicky Morgan never got over Theresa May sacking her and has done everything to be a trouble maker
    Why did she sack Nicky Morgan in the first place? That sacking in itself seemed to be a petty and vicious act...so anything that comes back as a result seems to me entirely justified.

It seems that Nicky Morgan knows where to hurt Theresa May. Attack her dress sense.....
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

SeanT said:

Also Down House, where Charles Darwin worked out evolution, and Isaac Newton's garden (where is that?), and Sigmund Freud's chaise longue, in Vienna

But as I say I would exclude them all, Kitty Hawk and Silicon Valley etc etc etc. They are not revolutions in the way that man interacts with the universe and perceives his place.

We have the Neolithic Revolution
    The monotheistic revolution
    The industrial revolution
    And arguably the Renaissance

And that's it. So far. Until AI

Until AI ?

AI is happening now.

Only in a very narrow sense. Algorithms to automate certain information-manipulation exist and are termed "AI". A true AI - artificial general intelligence, something capable of actually thinking, something self-aware, even - the route to that remains opaque to us. Which may be a blessing. For if human level AGI is possible, then it is extremely likely that improvement well beyond human levels is not only possible but all but inevitable - and rapidly so.

With the ability to think at levels as far beyond us as we are of other creatures - not just chimps, say, but mice, or ants, or sponges ... the outlook could be bleak. For all our fantasies that we could fight such, how well have less intelligent creatures fared when fighting us for a site, land, or entire ecological niche? We would have to hope that it did not see us as being in its way.
  • Options

I have been to Swansea in Feb (visiting friends), the Mumbles were magnificent and we had a great time on the beach in the winter sun. Swansea itself looked better at a distance, though there is something magnificent about a major industrial site like Port Talbot.
    The Mumbles and the Gower are quite fantastic, all year round. Rhossili Beach is one of the best beaches going.
    Will add to the list of possibles for NYC afternoon :)
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Why did she sack Nicky Morgan in the first place? That sacking in itself seemed to be a petty and vicious act...so anything that comes back as a result seems to me entirely justified.

It seems that Nicky Morgan knows where to hurt Theresa May. Attack her dress sense.....
    Nicky Morgan Eyes!
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Floater said:

SeanT said:

There were massive crowds in central Birmingham yesterday, mid-day. The shops / cafes etc were packed. God knows what it would have been like if we were not in the middle of the post-referendum recession.

Same in Camden market today. It's always crazy on Sundays but I'm not sure I have ever seen it so heaving. Rammed!

Last Sunday was little better. I wanted to take my older daughter and babymother to lunch, but EVERYWHERE in north London from gastropub to posh resto was booked solid, all day. We ended up with mussels and chips at Belgo Noord (and they were perfectly pleasant, to be fair)
    Out and about in Colchester last 2 weeks and everywhere is really busy.

Not to matter though, a downturn WILL come (only Gordon Brown thought he had banished recessions) and Brexit will be blamed come what may.
    The recession will come about six to nine months after the trigger when "real" news will emerge what a catastrophe we will be falling into. Now it is just speculation and uncertainty. Then there will be real certainty about the calamity.
  • Options
    She is a control-freak. An expensive one.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited December 2016

SeanT said:

Also Down House, where Charles Darwin worked out evolution, and Isaac Newton's garden (where is that?), and Sigmund Freud's chaise longue, in Vienna

But as I say I would exclude them all, Kitty Hawk and Silicon Valley etc etc etc. They are not revolutions in the way that man interacts with the universe and perceives his place.

Until AI ?

AI is happening now.

Only in a very narrow sense. Algorithms to automate certain information-manipulation exist and are termed "AI". A true AI - artificial general intelligence, something capable of actually thinking, something self-aware, even - the route to that remains opaque to us. Which may be a blessing. For if human level AGI is possible, then it is extremely likely that improvement well beyond human levels is not only possible but all but inevitable - and rapidly so.

With the ability to think at levels as far beyond us as we are of other creatures - not just chimps, say, but mice, or ants, or sponges ... the outlook could be bleak. For all our fantasies that we could fight such, how well have less intelligent creatures fared when fighting us for a site, land, or entire ecological niche? We would have to hope that it did not see us as being in its way.
    Machine learning is where we have been seeing steps forward, but still based upon works from 20 years ago (hardware now makes it possible to go beyond toy problems). Machine learning is not AI, well not as people as most people think if it.

To the layman Machine learning is better described as identifying patterns contained in big data sets rather than "AI".
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    Pretty pathetic stuff. Everyone is naturally edgy, but this level of worry over such small things cannot be normal can it? Or is it just weird as normally we don't hear about it?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,358
    edited December 2016
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Nicky Morgan was hopeless in Education and is strongly opposed to Grammar Schools. That may provide context
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Theresa May has weird tastes. She has one dress which looks like she is in the set of Dr. Who !
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited December 2016
    Nicky Morgan possesses the demeanour of a particularly useless reception class teacher in an 'Outstanding rated by OFSTED' school.
  • Options

What is that develops people's taste for architecture, and why does it differ so much - some swoon over cottages, others over Sydney Opera House). As with music, there's a tendency to despise people with different taste ("you can't like that crap, you moron"). Has anyone tried to establish any osrt of consensus basic rules - that people prefer symmetry or like variation, for instance?

Some of it spills over from other areas. Romantics like "lived-in" buildings where you can speculate about the origin orf this dent or that quirky ceiling; "progressives" in the old sense of future-loving types like clean lines seemingly unspoiled by human touch. ?

Interesting observations.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Until AI ?

AI is happening now.

Correct true AI would be a mad thing to do,evolution though works in strange ways and I am sure somewhere sometime they will achieve it by design and it will serve them right
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360
    edited December 2016
    Small technical question if there are any builders here. I'm translating some Austrian building regs which repeatedly refer to "Bauwich", which is literally the "space between buildings". Planning permission is only given if these are kept clear and if the house is large they have to be as wide as at least half the height and usually as large as the whole height.

Is this a familiar concept in British building? And is there a tidier term than "space between buildings"?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Snap election alert

twitter.com/hendopolis/status/807707431434326016

Given TMay's outfit, surely you meant: Snappy election alert.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Pretty pathetic stuff. Everyone is naturally edgy, but this level of worry over such small things cannot be normal can it? Or is it just weird as normally we don't hear about it?
    Sunday Mail is stirring the trouble on behalf of Tory rebels - exact opposite of Daily Mail
  • Options
    T May's pants cost £995. A single pensioner gets £119 per week. About 8 weeks pension.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

She is a control-freak. An expensive one.
    The latter is never really a concern, if it is private, and the former doesn't need to be, but its hard not to be a problem when the issues are so huge and impossible for a single person to micromanage.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

We have a body of political journos who have grown up on being given hand-outs of daily press releases off The Grid. Now that has stopped, they are floundering around for something to try and justify their existence. So they get tucked into stuff like leather trousers - but miss Brexit and Trump.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I've heard some pretty 'interesting' things about how Mrs May and her team operate.

This story is indicative about how they work, my reaction is, you're the Prime Minister of the UK, you're acting like a bunch of teenagers.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Sunday Mail is stirring the trouble on behalf of Tory rebels - exact opposite of Daily Mail
    Well, yes, but these things don't come out of thin air, so the pathetic feeling is clearly there, and both sides are at it.
  • Options
    On my "hated Tories" line why the flap? Many people hate Tories. If you are a Tory you must know this - just as I as a Labour party councillor am despised by some of my opponents. And the whole lot of us are hated by increasing numbers of punters who will vote against all of us.

Anyway, under Jezbollah Labour are a national joke. A former party. Something like Blackberry that used to be relevant but now isn't. We can't remove him, we can't reform him, we can't reinvent him. So we de.
  • Options
    And she'll tease you, she'll unease you
    All the better just to please you
    She's precocious, and she knows just
    What it takes to make a pro blush
    She got Greta Garbo's standoff sighs, she's got Nicky Morgan eyes

• Options
    surbiton said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Theresa May has weird tastes. She has one dress which looks like she is in the set of Dr. Who !
    When she was first elected Prime Minister and went to Buck House to see HM the Q, she sported a weird yellow hi-viz bum-flapper, a la Malcolm McLaren circa 1976....
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Well, yes, but these things don't come out of thin air, so the pathetic feeling is clearly there, and both sides are at it.
    They all need to grow up
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Small technical question if there are any builders here. I'm translating some Austrian building regs which repeatedly refer to "Bauwich", which is literally the "space between buildings". Planning permission is only given if these are kept clear and if the house is large they have to be as wide as at least half the height and usually as large as the whole height.

Is this a familiar concept in British building? And is there a tidier term than "space between buildings"?

gap?
  • Options

In Britain it is known as "a building plot with room for 3 town houses".

• Options

On my "hated Tories" line why the flap? Many people hate Tories. If you are a Tory you must know this - just as I as a Labour party councillor am despised by some of my opponents. And the whole lot of us are hated by increasing numbers of punters who will vote against all of us.

Anyway, under Jezbollah Labour are a national joke. A former party. Something like Blackberry that used to be relevant but now isn't. We can't remove him, we can't reform him, we can't reinvent him. So we de.

Don't worry about it, you're getting criticised by people who cheer SeanT when he calls Labour rude names.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited December 2016
    kle4 said:

This is the kind of shite you get when there's no plan. There doesn't even appear to be much ideological direction.

Thatcher learnt that lesson quickly. Blair and Cameron understood it from the start.

Boris and Gove get it, too.

Brown and Major didn't - and it doesn't look like May does either.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,779

gap?
    I would use the word distance, but it's not a technical term as far as I know
  • Options
    surbiton said:

T May's pants cost £995. A single pensioner gets £119 per week. About 8 weeks pension.

And how much does the shop assistant get where she bought them?

Buying guilt-free weird clothes is one of the upsides of not having kids.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

(Part 2)

We need strategy. And what seems clear is that there is none.

... edited

This isn’t about me It's about all those poor bastards out there who can’t make ends meet and can’t see an end to it. We can’t fail because if we do they fail. And then in comes fascism again. And it's coming. We can stop it. If we wake up from this idiocy and start to be a political movement again and stop being the branch Davidians lead into the Wako compound by our very own Koresh-ian messiah figure.

Jeremy Corbyn is one part of the problem, and his band of non active members/supporters are the other. Corbyn cannot lead the party, he doesn't have a strategy, and he is unconvincing speaker, and he cannot communicate with people outside his own followers. His supporters are happy that he is there and they are finally able to vote for someone who represents their views, and who won't compromise. Most of them don't do any campaigning and don't therefore talk to people who have different views, and as such they don't learn what people in the real world really think. They believe that Corbyn is telling the truth, and that eventually the truth will win, although this is against the experience of history, a century of left wing activism, and failed socialist states all over the world. His supporters are now a majority of members within the party, so people like me are a minority who are forced to rant and criticise from the sidelines. And of course, we along with the mainstream media, including the guardian, provide convenient scapegoats for any failure or setback for the project.

The answer to the question posed in this mornings post how long can this go on for is this: it can easily go on for another three and a half years, it can go on for another decade. It can survive the anhillation of the northern heartlands to UKIP as it survived the loss and increasingtly the total loss of Scotland. It can and will go on until the party fragment and decline in to nothing.
  • Options
    I bloody hate the way boxing always messes with the card and time table. Tune in for Joshua to find we still have 3 other bouts...
  • Options

gap?
    That is an American clothing chain.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    @NickPalmer More seriously, could it mean Curtilage?

(Just a guess, no knowledge about the translation).

• Options
    You'd have thought the First Lord of the Treasury had more to occupy her attention than comments about her keks. Like the absurdity of her comments like Her Majesty's Foreign Secretary doesn't represent the views of Her Majesty's Government whilst commenting on Foreign Affairs...

Or that Brexit thing
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

gap?
    clearance between adjacent walls?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

gap?
    Or separation. I'll shut up at this point ...
  • Options
    I think I might do the morning thread on fashion advice for Mrs May given I'm PB's fashion expert and man of style and taste.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

kle4 said:

The Editor of the Sunday Mail loves Cameron, the Editor of the Daily Mail hates Cameron.

The personal opinions of editors play a large role on what gets published.

Just like in america it seems but on a smaller scale so far:

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/807453022179774464
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

gap?
    Or separation. I'll shut up at this point ...
    Really seriously. Passage or passageway. In the States it would be called an alley or does that mean a street ?
  • Options

Alleys?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130

I think I might do the morning thread on fashion advice for Mrs May given I'm PB's fashion expert and man of style and taste.

Her Wakeley shopping bill is clearly higher than average.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

kle4 said:

The Editor of the Sunday Mail loves Cameron, the Editor of the Daily Mail hates Cameron.

If it was Britain, Comey would have got the knighthood from Trump. At least, in one respect the US is better than Britain.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    surbiton said:

And arch socialist Tony Benn did what with his inheritance? And Bob Crow did what with his council house when earning a six figure salary? And the last leader of the Labour Party had how many kitchens in his multi million pound property?

The only people who can legitimately play the game of envy and distribution politics are now are sitting in places like the SNP and UKIP.
  • Options
    I notice no one from any part answered my previous assertions despite I quoted rochdale pioneers which was not getting either at him or the labour party particularly. What have any of your parties ever done for people like me? Dont quote tax thresholds because ok they helped but didnt go nearly anywhere near covering the rent rises, travel rises, fuel rises
  • Options
    chestnut said:

surbiton said:

And arch socialist Tony Benn did what with his inheritance? And Bob Crow did what with his council house when earning a six figure salary? And the last leader of the Labour Party had how many kitchens in his multi million pound property?

The only people who can legitimately play the game of envy and distribution politics are now are sitting in places like the SNP and UKIP.
    It was not envy politics. It is about bad taste. A skin tight leather trousers......ugh !
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Pagan said:

I notice no one from any part answered my previous assertions despite I quoted rochdale pioneers which was not getting either at him or the labour party particularly. What have any of your parties ever done for people like me? Dont quote tax thresholds because ok they helped but didnt go nearly anywhere near covering the rent rises, travel rises, fuel rises

I think it's because the answer was so obvious nobody felt the need to spell it out. The weakness of governments for 50 years has been that their aim is to look after increasingly narrow cliques. If you are one of those, happy days. If not, you get either ignored or actively hammered (sometimes with the very best of intentions, as with Brown's tax credits or Gove's academy chains, but due to their divorce from the ground, ineptly implemented).
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    surbiton said:

chestnut said:

surbiton said:

It was not envy politics. It is about bad taste. A skin tight leather trousers......ugh !
    Yawn. Who cares what a reasonably well-off person pays for their clothes?
  • Options
    Does bespoke tailoring just exist for men?

'Cause women are missing out.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

Those on the left hate more. The spitting by the demonstrators at the last Tory conference speaks volumes.
  • Options

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'm very tempted by curtilage, as it seems to mean something very similar, but it's dangerously specific and Linguee (the usual refenrece for translation) translates it back into German as something else. Passage might be right but I'm not sure it covers the use here. I think i'll default to gap/space, which is unlikely to b actually wrong even if it's not optimal.

As usual, PB very helpful indeed when it comes to a practical question!
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Hating someone just because they support a particular party is just plain stupid.

Guess what, there are no doubt decent people in all of the parties doing their best for people, and also absolute shites only in it for themselves.

There are strands on the left who think hate is ok as long as it not aimed at a favoured group.

Then of course all sorts of bad behaviour is at best ignored.

Sorry mate, if you can so easily "hate" a section of society then we don't have a lot to say to each other.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'm very tempted by curtilage, as it seems to mean something very similar, but it's dangerously specific and Linguee (the usual refenrece for translation) translates it back into German as something else. Passage might be right but I'm not sure it covers the use here. I think i'll default to gap/space, which is unlikely to b actually wrong even if it's not optimal.

https://www.blackburn.gov.uk/Lists/DownloadableDocuments/Guide-for-extending-semi-detached-detached-houses.pdf

Document says gap. It also mentions curtilage, which seems to be something slightly different
  • Options
    Deeply disappointed that you didn't manage a 'Brown' trousers pun out of that.
  • Options

Deeply disappointed that you didn't manage a 'Brown' trousers pun out of that.
    I'm saving that for tomorrow.
  • Options
    Pagan said:

I think the honest truth is that none of the usual measures that parties lead with (1p off this, 10% on that) really make a huge difference to most people's lives. Where I'd argue that the parties have made a significant difference which have helped you (in avoiding things being worse, at least), are;

- Maintenance of a reasonable stable surrounding environment. You're unlucky if you're often mugged, or run into riots, or are in a public building that collapses. There are plenty of societies where these basics are not guaranteed.
    - Keeping an effectively functioning economy in a world of rapid change with increasing competition
    - Providing a health service and school service free at the point of use. I know there are different ways of doing that so this isn't a Labour boadcast, but what we've got is much better than some countries with similar GDP/head

It's possible that some of these things are now starting to crumble - I hope not, but if so you may come to feel that both Labour and Tory governments weren't that bad.
  • Options

Is it the curtilage?
  • Options
    Pagan said:

All the political parties support a system where people can amass and inherit private property which then gives them security and wealth. If you think that leaving the EU is going to change this basic situation then you are probably going to be disappointed.

Until relatively recently it was possible for anyone, anywhere to go to work, earn money, buy a house and build up assets. But - in most of the south east and south west at least - something has gone very wrong and the government seem incapable of sorting it out.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,519
    I see all the lefty PBers are rightly castigating the sexist woman-hating Sunday Mail for covering its pages with a splash about the cost of the PM's clothes.

Oh no, they're not because Brexit.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130

I see all the lefty PBers are rightly castigating the sexist woman-hating Sunday Mail for covering its pages with a splash about the cost of the PM's clothes.

Some balance for you:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3220606/Vlad-fashionista-Russian-leader-Putin-wore-2-000-silk-cashmere-tracksuit-photoshoot-stunt-gym-experts-reveal.html
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited December 2016
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

Floater said:

SeanT said:

There were massive crowds in central Birmingham yesterday, mid-day. The shops / cafes etc were packed. God knows what it would have been like if we were not in the middle of the post-referendum recession.

Same in Camden market today. It's always crazy on Sundays but I'm not sure I have ever seen it so heaving. Rammed!

Last Sunday was little better. I wanted to take my older daughter and babymother to lunch, but EVERYWHERE in north London from gastropub to posh resto was booked solid, all day. We ended up with mussels and chips at Belgo Noord (and they were perfectly pleasant, to be fair)

Not to matter though, a downturn WILL come (only Gordon Brown thought he had banished recessions) and Brexit will be blamed come what may.
    The recession will come about six to nine months after the trigger when "real" news will emerge what a catastrophe we will be falling into. Now it is just speculation and uncertainty. Then there will be real certainty about the calamity.
    What is this "calamity" of which you speak?

I am genuinely mystified, and intrigued. All the most ranty, deranged Remainers, from Matthew Parris down to TSE go on about this pending apocalypse, yet the most pessimistic of Brexit forecasts, from the IMF to the Treasury, predicted a 4-5% hit to potential GDP, by 2030, which is less than the fall in the Great Recession, and spread over 15 years not 3.

That's 2 years' growth lost (over a decade and a half). In the grand scheme it is zipola. And that is presuming the pessimists are right and there is no surprising upside (and so far the UK has surprised on the upside)

So what the fucking fuck is this "calamity"???

Methinks many Remainers, like Parris, are much much more wedded to the European ideal, and the EU, and their nice Burgundy passports, and all that guff, than they will dare to admit (because they know it is deeply unpopular, and undemocratic). Maybe they can't even admit it to themselves. As they can't confess to this, they instead rant on about an unlikely economic collapse, as a way to vent their repressed Brexit-grief.
    The calamity is moving to WTO rules if we don't get a post Brexit deal, most of the modelling assumes we retain membership of the single market/don't have WTO rules.

David Davis told an audience that he doesn't want a transitional deal.

PS - I'm honoured to be spoken in the same breath as Matthew Parris.
  • Options
    yes I took it Sean and wasnt criticising their choice to give it, what i was criticising was their stance that they are for the working man other than that, and frankly cameron only offered the referendum because he thought it would give him a majority.

Simple fact is it is harder and harder for someone that works in this country to have more than a subsistence living, I am in the top 20% of earners, by the time you deduct rent, council tax, utilities and such I am down to about 140 a week to live on, may seem a lot but then I am supporting a family of four
  • Options
    Floater said:

Hating someone just because they support a particular party is just plain stupid.

Guess what, there are no doubt decent people in all of the parties doing their best for people, and also absolute shites only in it for themselves.

There are strands on the left who think hate is ok as long as it not aimed at a favoured group.

Then of course all sorts of bad behaviour is at best ignored.

Sorry mate, if you can so easily "hate" a section of society then we don't have a lot to say to each other.
    A section of society. A small number of politicians - and their most fervent supporters - whose policies border on the sociopathic - perhaps. In my piece written to try and get up fellow travellers I could have put "hated Tories" as it's not us doing the hating. Its the people having their lives utterly destroyed by the Tories right now doing the hating.

@ Pagan - apologies, missed your initial question. Simple answer "not enough". In reality everyone's lives successes and failures operate within a societal framework shaped by politicians. Whats new is the view that all politicians are responsible for all that's bad with all that's good entirely down to the individual who apparently lives in a bubble unaffected by other people
  • Options

As a planning officer I would use gap/space between buildings, there is no other word I can think of that would describe this situation.
    Curtilage means something different, eg the total area of space that surrounds the building and is evidently related to it (eg garden, driveway etc)
  • Options

I tend not to comment on clickbait "journalism" published by fascists in the Hate Mail or the Canary. In this case it's commenting on the cost of the PMs trousers. I read plenty on how much Cameron spent on bespoke suits. What does this PMs gender have to do with quality of the "journalism" in this "news" paper
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

Nicky Morgan was hopeless in Education and is strongly opposed to Grammar Schools. That may provide context
    Nicky Morgan was practically the only person who thought she was cut out to be Prime Minister, and seemingly totally oblivious to what everyone else thought of that.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    surbiton said:

Speedy said:

kle4 said:

If it was Britain, Comey would have got the knighthood from Trump. At least, in one respect the US is better than Britain.
    The USA is not better than Britain, Obama awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom last month to every celebrity that campaigned for Hillary.

On a final note about Tillerson, having him as Secretary of State is like Britain having the CEO of Vickers for Foreign Secretary in 1914.
  • Options
    Sean - I voted to leave the European Union. That was the question on the referendum ballot. You are arguing to exit the single market, which is an option. But isn't mandated by my vote or the question asked.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

Floater said:

SeanT said:

I am genuinely mystified, and intrigued. All the most ranty, deranged Remainers, from Matthew Parris down to TSE go on about this pending apocalypse, yet the most pessimistic of Brexit forecasts, from the IMF to the Treasury, predicted a 4-5% hit to potential GDP, by 2030, which is less than the fall in the Great Recession, and spread over 15 years not 3.

That's 2 years' growth lost (over a decade and a half). In the grand scheme it is zipola. And that is presuming the pessimists are right and there is no surprising upside (and so far the UK has surprised on the upside)

Methinks mt-grief.
    The calamity is moving to WTO rules if we don't get a post Brexit deal, most of the modelling assumes we retain membership of the single market/don't have WTO rules.

You really shouldn't be honoured. You've turned into a pathetic, nappy-filling nitwit of the first order.

We will cope. We are Britain. We may take a hit. We may not. We defeated Hitler. We defeated Napoleon. We won the Cold War. We invented EVERYTHING. Now drop a bollock and act like a man, and accept we have Brexited, and quit your creepy bitching.
    Why doesn't TSE just eff off and join the EU-loving LibDems? :lol:
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

Floater said:

SeanT said:

Methinks mt-grief.

You really shouldn't be honoured. You've turned into a pathetic, nappy-filling nitwit of the first order.

We will cope. We are Britain. We may take a hit. We may not. We defeated Hitler. We defeated Napoleon. We won the Cold War. We invented EVERYTHING. Now drop a bollock and act like a man, and accept we have Brexited, and quit your creepy bitching.
    Saturday night, and you've been drinking again? With the usual result that your understanding of history sinks to rock bottom!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Pagan said:

yes I took it Sean and wasnt criticising their choice to give it, what i was criticising was their stance that they are for the working man other than that, and frankly cameron only offered the referendum because he thought it would give him a majority.

Simple fact is it is harder and harder for someone that works in this country to have more than a subsistence living, I am in the top 20% of earners, by the time you deduct rent, council tax, utilities and such I am down to about 140 a week to live on, may seem a lot but then I am supporting a family of four

I entirely agree and understand, and my recent liaisons with a few Millennials has shown me how tough it is for younger people to get by, even if they work hard, get degrees, pay taxes, do the right thing.

Globalisation is eroding relative western living standards, and mass immigration is a major factor within that, in countries like the UK.

It is impossible for us to absorb 350,000 net migrants every year, in perpetuity. Not everyone wants to sleep ten to a room like Romanians, but that is where we are headed.

We need a new model: fewer migrants (but not none), and higher productivity. It has to be done. It will be painful. But the alternative (a population of 75m or more, or maybe 90m ) is way more painful and leads to civil strife.
    Except most Millennials love mass immigration.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

SeanT said:

Pagan said:

I entirely agree and understand, and my recent liaisons with a few Millennials has shown me how tough it is for younger people to get by, even if they work hard, get degrees, pay taxes, do the right thing.

Globalisation is eroding relative western living standards, and mass immigration is a major factor within that, in countries like the UK.

It is impossible for us to absorb 350,000 net migrants every year, in perpetuity. Not everyone wants to sleep ten to a room like Romanians, but that is where we are headed.

We need a new model: fewer migrants (but not none), and higher productivity. It has to be done. It will be painful. But the alternative (a population of 75m or more, or maybe 90m ) is way more painful and leads to civil strife.
    I think that what you mean is that most Millennials in the professional classes love mass immigration.
  • Options
    Calamities, crashes and cliff edges.....drama queens.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Pagan said:

The young can be excused stupidity. I was pretty bloody dim and clueless at 25.

But they really do have it way worse than we did - or I did.
    I agree with you.
  • Options
    Pagan said:

Serious question: why should you expect political parties to do things for you? Their job is to run a government, ensure the country is defended, children get educated and organise a welfare and health system etc. You might quibble at the margins, but I think most people would expect governments to do those basic tasks
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

Floater said:

SeanT said:

f.

If we take a hit, it isn't the likes of you or me that see our living standards fall.

If I recall, one June 24th I was more sanguine about the result than you were, perhaps you need to drop a bollock or two.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

If we take a hit, it isn't the likes of you or me that see our living standards fall.

Actually, I think it might be.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sean - I voted to leave the European Union. That was the question on the referendum ballot. You are arguing to exit the single market, which is an option. But isn't mandated by my vote or the question asked.

I think we should stay in the Single Market for 5-10 years, then reconsider options, as long as we get some control on migration. And I believe we can achieve that, as long as we are prepared to pay.

We will have to pay. David Davis gets it. I got it a year ago when I predicted just this. We will be Norway Plus, with fudged semantics.
    To be honest, and I don't want to put a downer on things, but I don't think mass migration can be stopped. Not without taking measures that'd be so strong that they'd have huge consequences elsewhere, which wouldn't be tolerated.

The best I can hope so is switching a chunk of low-skilled for high-skilled immigration, bringing net migration down into the 100-200k annual bracket, and strengthening integration and assimilation policies, with a tacking away from the ideology of multi-culturalism and pushing a bit less of the identity politics.

But i don't even expect us to get that. And the next Labour government, whenever it comes, will probably ratchet it back up again.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Actually, I think it might be.
    Perhaps, the likes of SeanT and myself are better prepared to deal with an economic hit than most is more accurate?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Andrew_ComRes: ComRes for Indie / S Mirror NET favourability ranking (1/2)

May +9
    BoJo -6
    Ed Balls -11
    Con Party -12
    P Hammond -12
    Lab Party -17

@Andrew_ComRes: ComRes for Indie / S Mirror NET favourability ranking (2/2)

McDonnell -19
    Farage -26
    Corbyn -26
    P Nuttall -32
    G Osborne -39
    Trump -52

So would Corbyn v Osborne be the equivalent of Clinton v Trump ?

It really is impressive for a Chancellor who spent £700bn more than he taxed to be that hated.
  • Options
    I think the honest truth is that none of the usual measures that parties lead with (1p off this, 10% on that) really make a huge difference to most people's lives. Where I'd argue that the parties have made a significant difference which have helped you (in avoiding things being worse, at least), are;

- Maintenance of a reasonable stable surrounding environment. You're unlucky if you're often mugged, or run into riots, or are in a public building that collapses. There are plenty of societies where these basics are not guaranteed.
    - Keeping an effectively functioning economy in a world of rapid change with increasing competition
    - Providing a health service and school service free at the point of use. I know there are different ways of doing that so this isn't a Labour boadcast, but what we've got is much better than some countries with similar GDP/head

It's possible that some of these things are now starting to crumble - I hope not, but if so you may come to feel that both Labour and Tory governments weren't that bad.

I get your point Nick and dont deny free at the point of use health and schooling is good. However if you are living in a country where someone in the top 20% of earners, with an average family of 2 adults 2 kids is struggling to make ends meet even though they dont drink drive, smoke or go out then there is something seriously wrong
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Pagan said:

Serious question: why should you expect political parties to do things for you? Their job is to run a government, ensure the country is defended, children get educated and organise a welfare and health system etc. You might quibble at the margins, but I think most people would expect governments to do those basic tasks
    I dont expect them to give me money, what I dont expect though is them to make it harder and harder for people like me to actually make a living beyond subsistence which is the level I am approaching and many of my friends are already below
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    The great unknown in the UK's economic future over the next few years is the behaviour of the migrants.

How deep are their UK roots? Are they just a transient workforce that will up and leave if the UK's economy turns?

Instead of wasting money on polls about who will do what if they are £100 worse off, someone should be asking, "what will the migrants do when things change?"

Vast sums of public money will end up being committed to extra schools, the NHS, housing etc on the assumption of them staying. How committed to the UK are these people?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Pagan said:

On the whole, I think those that engage with globalisation are more successful than those that reject it, even while accepting there ARE losers. The question for the potential losers is whether you disconnect or adapt.

As a devil's advocate, I could point out that Japan under its Sakoku isolation policy was a relatively stable place, even if it was ultimately unsustainable. The motivations behind Sakoku were not entirely dissimilar to those of Brexit.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I think we should stay in the Single Market for 5-10 years, then reconsider options, as long as we get some control on migration. And I believe we can achieve that, as long as we are prepared to pay.

We will have to pay. David Davis gets it. I got it a year ago when I predicted just this. We will be Norway Plus, with fudged semantics.
    Perhaps you will be right. The direction of travel seems otherwise, as fury is whipped up at anything less than the most extreme, and coincidentally the easiest, option.
This discussion has been closed.