Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Taking stock of 2016. What do you think were the biggest event

Comments

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

RobD said:
    ?
    '
    Well if you will fly Virgin...
    Handy for a restorative Martini to steady the nerves......subsequently I've been flying Malaysian.....jolly good crew.....and they no longer fly over the Ukrain....)
    Am pretty disciplined in BA to try and consolidate my favours... provided they are price competitive of course...
    BA Gold, SQ Solitaire, Virgin Gold.....they all fall away sooner or later.....Jason!

http://time.com/4579969/british-american-baby-names/
    Since I have BA Gold For Life* am not too worried. I don't think airline status is hereditary...

* still working on GGL for Life which would be really cool
    How many years to you have to stay Gold before they give it to you for life? They keep stealing mine!
    35,000 Tier Points.
    Which - for someone doing 2,000 TP a year - is 17 and a half years of work.
    I've been in this game 20 years, and I'm not there yet...
    I give up now, never going to get close to that, unless I can persuade a customer to fly me half way round the world in biz class every fortnight for the next decade!
    I am travelling to Edinburgh today, tomorrow and Friday, Aberdeen on Thursday. You don't earn many Tier points as a Scots lawyer!

Personally I prefer it that way. I have gone from finding flying mildly exciting to numbingly tedious and frustrating with all the idiotic security nonsense. I now generally take the train or drive when coming south to London when I used to fly.
    Completely agree. I now detest flying.
    I don't mind it. I'm off to Zurich tomorrow for which I have to get an early flight and ..... grr.... I have to get up at the unfeasibly early hour of 4:30 am.

What really annoys is that no matter what I wear and despite taking off practically all my clothes before going through security I still set off every alarm going.

So if tomorrow you see a bleary eyed woman in her jim jams going through security at Terminal 5, that will be me.
    On South West Trains every day! Good luck.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,396
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

Interesting.....the standard route from LHR to Bahrain is over Turkey & Iran (both BA & Gulf Air use it).

The RAF took Mrs May over Egypt & Saudi instead....slightly longer flight...

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/zz336#bcec03b

Maybe based on advice from the intelligence agencies?
    Certainly doesn't suggest much trust of the Iranians....tho I guess it could also be to route close to Cyprus in case of an urgent need to land...
    Doubt it's intelligence just basic risk management. Why send your PM over a current flashpoint if you don't have to?
    While BA fly over it every day......
    Perhaps our PM is a more likely target than peons like you and me?
    LOL, who would notice her absence
    If Boris replaced her I have a horrible feeling we would ALL notice her absence very quickly.

Fortunately I don't think that would happen.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Going through the questionnaire, must say Rosberg's retirement was the biggest shock for me [I am answering the survey on politics, though].
  • Options
    Mr. JohnL, Dr. Foxinsox's winner was at amazing odds but I don't think it was tipped.

*hums the Dutch national anthem*
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,077
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

Interesting.....the standard route from LHR to Bahrain is over Turkey & Iran (both BA & Gulf Air use it).

Certainly doesn't suggest much trust of the Iranians....tho I guess it could also be to route close to Cyprus in case of an urgent need to land...
    Doubt it's intelligence just basic risk management. Why send your PM over a current flashpoint if you don't have to?
    If Boris replaced her I have a horrible feeling we would ALL notice her absence very quickly.

That balloon was well and truly burst recently. Hopefully the buffoon will drift to obscurity soon.
  • Options
    Mr. G, I was never a Boris fan (in terms of him becoming PM), but must agree his stock has fallen. He hasn't impressed as Foreign Secretary.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,894
    Morning all :)

I've done the survey - haven't voted for anyone to be Poster of the Year. No one on here deserves it - most people are pompous, arrogant dimwits whose grasp of politics and most aspects of life is tenuous at best. The worst is that halfwit Stodge but mercifully he doesn't post as often as some.

Remember the Golden Rule of PB:

Anyone who posts between 10pm and 6am is BAD
    Anyone who posts between 6am and 2pm is MAD
    Anyone who posts between 2pm and 10pm is SAD

• Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    chestnut said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

I think POTY has to be between AM (AntiFrank) and Plato...

I vote tim...
    You have to give Plato credit where it's due she predicted Brexit AND Trump would triumph...

Alistair has had an awful year and especially during Brexit he made PB compulsive viwing.

TSE has had a terrible year as well and he's done a good job of keeping the PB show on the road (despite all his trauma's)

Maybe we could have a split POTY?
    Aww no, has TSE had a really *****y year too? (Aside from politically, obviously, where he's had a wretched time which will likely have work-related impact too. But he wouldn't be alone in having a politically horrible 2016: YellowSubmarine, Southam, DrFox and various others have my sympathy on that front too.) If he has, I'm sorry I haven't picked up on it. He's done such a huge amount of work for this site, and been in such good form, that I didn't notice any grave personal travails. If so I do hope things look up a bit next year.
    Thanks for the sympathy, but it has been a great year for me too. Leicester won the Premier League, and I had £1 on ew at 3000/1, topped up along the way.

There are practical issues, but I do feel stripped of part of my personal identity. I also feel an invisible barrier between myself and other Britons and my many EU friends and colleagues. I feel less patriotic because of what I see my country turning into. For both sides this was not just an issue of economics, but rather an emotional one concerning Britain and its place in the world.

It will overshadow my family for years. I can no longer talk politics and world affairs with my parents, something that previously was a big part of our lives, and neither can my son or brother.
    Most of the 52% have felt that way for years.
    I agree. My Tory Assoc. is run by the poncy liberal elite and you would have thought that us despicable Leavers had voted for the BNP they way they treat us. They genuinely believe that the 'populists', the majority is too thick to have a vote and we are rabid racists to a man and women.

When I explain the referendum was a Tory manifesto commitment and most Tory members voted Leave, they ignore it. Ejits!

So, now we talk in closed circles, little corners. The elite are arrogant f*ckers. That's why I was happy Trump won, and Renzi and Cameron lost. Not because I believe in the results, but because the elite needs to be put back in their bourgeois box.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

Boris blew it. For good.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Mr. G, I was never a Boris fan (in terms of him becoming PM), but must agree his stock has fallen. He hasn't impressed as Foreign Secretary.

Even then, he's still ahead of Foreign Secretary David Miliband....
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    stodge said:

I've done the survey - haven't voted for anyone to be Poster of the Year. No one on here deserves it - most people are pompous, arrogant dimwits whose grasp of politics and most aspects of life is tenuous at best. The worst is that halfwit Stodge but mercifully he doesn't post as often as some.

But that's the fun of it. Who wants to live in a society where every one is civil, but shallow. Keep up the Bad, Mad, Sad.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Lol! Comment of the year! ;-)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

RobD said:
    ?
    '
    Handy for a restorative Martini to steady the nerves......)
    Am pretty disciplined in BA to try and consolidate my favours... provided they are price competitive of course...
    BA Gold, SQ Solitaire, Virgin Gold.....they all fall away sooner or later.....Jason!

Since I have BA Gold For Life* am not too worried. I don't think airline status is hereditary...

How many years to you have to stay Gold before they give it to you for life? They keep stealing mine!
    35,000 Tier Points.
    I give up now, n canound the world in biz class every fortnight for the next decade!
    I am travelling to Edinburgh today, tomorrow and Friday, Aberdeen on Thursday. You don't earn many Tier points as a Scots lawyer!

Personally I prefer it that way. I have gone from finding flying mildly exciting to numbingly tedious and frustrating with all the idiotic security nonsense. I now generally take the train or drive when coming south to London when I used to fly.
    Completely agree. I now detest flying.
    I don't mind it. I'm off to Zurich tomorrow for which I have to get an early flight and ..... grr.... I have to get up at the unfeasibly early hour of 4:30 am.

What really annoys is that no matter what I wear and despite taking off practically all my clothes before going through security I still set off every alarm going.

So if tomorrow you see a bleary eyed woman in her jim jams going through security at Terminal 5, that will be me.
    Thank the gods you are not on a Southern Train.
    One of my team is. We share his pain.
  • Options
    Mr. Stodge, you're clearly forgetting the civilised and enlightened conversation that revolves around Formula 1. Who can deny the delights of differential front end grip?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Jonathan said:

Shadsy often runs a market on Time Person of the Year. It will be hard to look past Donald Trump this year.

Isn't there a chance they might choose someone else just to stick two fingers up.
    More than likely.

They'll probably give it to Hillary just to really rub it in, complete with sycophantic eulogy!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,444

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

Boris blew it. For good.
    I hope so, truly I do. You just have that feeling that things may still be able to get worse.
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, by that logic, Joe Johnson will be the next Conservative leader :p
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I told Mrs Stodge last evening the Southern Rail dispute had gone beyond a joke. She opined it was surprising to her the train had given got there.

More seriously, there's too much macho posturing from both sides, aided and abetted it has to be said by a series of rent-a-quote Conservative MPs for constituencies in the Southern franchise who line up for a bit of union-bashing to impress their constituents.

If one of them was prepared to offer some constructive suggestions or offer to act as a mediator etc, etc. South West Trains seem quite happy with guards who open and close the doors and drivers who drive the trains. I don't know why Southern have picked this argument.

• Options
    In dystopian news, a shop without a checkout:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38212818
  • Options
    stodge said:

Surely the golden rule also has a bit in brackets at the end, to cover the sweet spot, normally but not always around 5.30am, when you can be both mad and sad?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    stodge said:

Cyclefree said:

I told Mrs Stodge last evening the Southern Rail dispute had gone beyond a joke. She opined it was surprising to her the train had given got there.

More seriously, there's too much macho posturing from both sides, aided and abetted it has to be said by a series of rent-a-quote Conservative MPs for constituencies in the Southern franchise who line up for a bit of union-bashing to impress their constituents.

If one of them was prepared to offer some constructive suggestions or offer to act as a mediator etc, etc. South West Trains seem quite happy with guards who open and close the doors and drivers who drive the trains. I don't know why Southern have picked this argument.

Chiltern don't have guards and it all runs ok.. (someone told me)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Greetings Charles and Carlotta from the BA Lounge at the Heathrow Terminal 5 B gates!

The Concorde lounge - when there was Concorde - was special......watching all those grey suits queue up to board.....
    I took Concorde exactly once, from NYC to London right at the end when they had special promotions on. It was an experience I will never forget.
    When BA had to withdraw many of their 737s after the Manchester fire they put Concorde on the Newcastle to London run - of course it was taking off with a quarter of a tank full of fuel, rather than a full load to get to New York - so the pilots had fun flooring the thing - rightly reckoning the novelty value far exceeded any noise complaints - I missed it, but had a friend enjoyed the ride!
  • Options

Let's have a good partisan jibe to get the morning going.

In all seriousness, who has been the most effective Foreign Secretary out of William Hague, Philip Hammond and Boris Johnson ?

Probably a more interesting question than deciding who should be "Poster of the Year".
  • Options
    Mr. Stodge, Hague. Nobody remembered Hammond was FS, and Boris is bungling.
  • Options

Doesn't that suggest that Hammond did most of the job as required?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

RobD said:
    ?
    '
    Handy for a restorative Martini to steady the nerves......subsequently I've been flying Malaysian.....jolly good crew.....and they no longer fly over the Ukraine, tho unlike SQ they do fly over Iran (Garuda avoided Iran recently too....)

35,000 Tier Points.
    I give up now, never going to get close to that, unless I can persuade a customer to fly me half way round the world in biz class every fortnight for the next decade!

Another train fan - when working in Newcastle (nearly) always took the train to London - to the bemusement of American co-workers.....

• Options

I travelled to Warwick on a Chiltern train back in August. Very comfortable on the way there - free WiFi with a good speed onboard. Journey back much less pleasant.

The trains were two or three coaches long. South West Trains run trains of 12 coaches. Maybe there's an issue there. Southern run trains of varying lengths from four to twelve coaches.

I don't think C2C have guards either.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Interesting Ian hislop piece in the new statesman. Something for everyone to get angry about - criticising populists on left and right for reacting so poorly to criticism and trying to shut down discussion, young people with safe spaces and no platforming, it runs the gamut. Appropriately entitled the age of outrage.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/12/age-outrage

Maybe 'twas always thus, and it just feels more fast and furious in the modern world of social media and all.

At least it's not like that in here:)
  • Options

Yep, can't argue. His intervention in the Libyan crisis was superb and wasn't he a friend of Angelina Jolie's at one point ?

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    stodge said:

Let's have a good partisan jibe to get the morning going.

In all seriousness, who has been the most effective Foreign Secretary out of William Hague, Philip Hammond and Boris Johnson ?

Probably a more interesting question than deciding who should be "Poster of the Year".
    Not so much partisan as perspective. At least Boris hasn't needed Mandelson to go in and smooth India's ruffled feathers after a cock up.

Although, the day is young.
  • Options
    Left of centre PBers, there is a glimmer of hope! I don't remotely pretend to follow the ins and outs of this, but seems Momentum is eating itself, as all hard left groups always do.

"The conduct of the most ultra-left delegates was disgraceful. Jill Mountford — leading member of the Alliance for Worker’s Liberty (AWL) — was openly bullying Huda Elmi — BAME officer for Labour Students. Jill was shouting at the younger delegates, heckling them when they spoke, patronising and mocking them directly to their faces, and leaping up out of her chair to contradict every statement they made. It is astonishing that such behaviour is tolerated in Momentum."

https://medium.com/@lauracatrionamurray/momentum-vs-inertia-e525c8f9e217#.jerpnjnaa
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072
    edited December 2016
    stodge said:

I travelled to Warwick on a Chiltern train back in August. Very comfortable on the way there - free WiFi with a good speed onboard. Journey back much less pleasant.

The trains were two or three coaches long. South West Trains run trains of 12 coaches. Maybe there's an issue there. Southern run trains of varying lengths from four to twelve coaches.

I don't think C2C have guards either.
    Something in the dark recesses of my mind makes me think that Driver Only Operation (guardless trains) are restricted to eight coaches because of the problems of a driver seeing whether the doors are clear before setting off.

Edit: and a classic example of different sides in the dispute getting different messages from the same report:
    http://www.southernrailway.com/southern/news/independent-rail-safety-body-concludes-no-increased-risk-from-driver-only-operation/
    https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/toc-funded-report-exposes-doo-dangers/
  • Options
    Loser of the year: the headmaster of Eton.

Call-me-Dave, Boris and Zac failed to learn the lessons of history -- and Zac only had to look back a few weeks to see that referendums are invariably fought on different grounds from where they were called.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    stodge said:

Cyclefree said:

Because you manifestly don't need guards to do it and, as a private company, they should be allowed to make simple business decisions without politically motivated unions holding customers hostage.

They can't give in because the unions would run riot. Most unions are constructive. The RMT is not.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Interesting Ian hislop piece in the new statesman. Something for everyone to get angry about - criticising populists on left and right for reacting so poorly to criticism and trying to shut down discussion, young people with safe spaces and no platforming, it runs the gamut. Appropriately entitled the age of outrage.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/12/age-outrage

Maybe 'twas always thus, and it just feels more fast and furious in the modern world of social media and all.

At least it's not like that in here:)
    It wasn't always thus but it sometimes was. History recycles.
  • Options
    Charles said:

stodge said:

Cyclefree said:

Because you manifestly don't need guards to do it and, as a private company, they should be allowed to make simple business decisions without politically motivated unions holding customers hostage.

They can't give in because the unions would run riot. Most unions are constructive. The RMT is not.
    Hence today's response to the proposal about Network Rail and service providers sharing responsibility for maintenance - something which is manifestly sensible if the details can be sorted - being a 'threat to safety'. Every change is always a 'threat to safety' because (1) the public might buy it and take their side, (2) that's a pretext for a strike, and (3) causing maximum disruption is the most likely way to return the railways to public ownership.
  • Options
    Mr. Stodge, whilst I'm uncertain whether it was right or not [have changed my mind a bit] to do anything in Libya, if we'd done nothing people would be complaining endlessly of how we let a massacre happen. It was lose-lose in that regard.
  • Options
    Charles said:

stodge said:

Cyclefree said:

Is this the industrial relations Turing test? How do you distinguish between a union fighting job cuts for political reasons and a union protecting its members?
  • Options
    Charles said:

I'm not convinced there's a "manifestly" about it. There seems some evidence that longer trains in particular benefit from a guard providing greater visibility than a driver stuck at one end with all the mirrors and monitors on offer.

This has gone on for months - whatever the rights and wrongs, the passengers (let's call them that, not "customers") deserve a decent service. Both sides are in the wrong - I would like to see an interventionist Government as this one seems to be (or wants to be) banging heads together and either agreeing a 90-day cooling off period or threatening to take away the franchise if this isn't resolved or similar.

If the cost of "breaking" the RMT (which seems the desire of Go Via and a number of Conservative MPs) is months of lousy service, is it a price worth paying just to show they are stronger than the union ?

The poor passengers (facing a 2.3% increase from January) are the ones who should be going on strike or refusing to pay the extra fares (those whose companies don't pay for the tickets that is).
  • Options

Charles said:

stodge said:

Cyclefree said:

Is this the industrial relations Turing test? How do you distinguish between a union fighting job cuts for political reasons and a union protecting its members?
    I think the simple answer is for the government to legislate that transport services are essential services (which they clearly are) - and thus lose the right to strike.
  • Options

Charles said:

stodge said:

Cyclefree said:

Hence today's response to the proposal about Network Rail and service providers sharing responsibility for maintenance - something which is manifestly sensible if the details can be sorted - being a 'threat to safety'. Every change is always a 'threat to safety' because (1) the public might buy it and take their side, (2) that's a pretext for a strike, and (3) causing maximum disruption is the most likely way to return the railways to public ownership.
    I'm far from convinced (though could be) that today's statement about NR and the TOCs sharing responsibility for maintenance is sensible - there are a great many complexities that could trip it up. Just one is *which* TOCs have the responsibility on lines where many operators run trains.

Hopefully these issues have been thought through. (yes, I know).
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Freggles said:
    Thing is even if you get a torrent of these guys it just ends up in Congress and they pick Trump.
    Not if you get 39 flipping their vote to Hillary
  • Options

The devil will be in the detail of Grayling's proposals so perhaps we should see what he's proposing before the inevitable kneejerk anti-Union tirade.

I travel by rail most days and of course I want to travel in safety and comfort (in that order). Was Railtrack a huge success ? Perhaps it would be welcome for Conservatives to admit the Major privatisation was flawed before rushing to change everything once again.

The onus has to be on the provision of a safe and evolving rail network not the acquisition of profit by private companies. I don't care who runs the railway - I do care about companies making big profits when the service they provide is deteriorating. That people are forced to pay thousands of pounds for annual tickets that allow them not a seat but to stand on a train just to get to and from London is absurd.

The network is improving - the London Bridge project is getting there and the redevelopment of Waterloo and the return to use of the former Eurostar platforms is long overdue and there are improvements in other parts of the country but the demand is relentless and growing.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Alistair said:

Freggles said:
    Thing is even if you get a torrent of these guys it just ends up in Congress and they pick Trump.
    Not if you get 39 flipping their vote to Hillary
    LOL He will flip it to Kasich
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715
    stodge said:

The devil will be in the detail of Grayling's proposals so perhaps we should see what he's proposing before the inevitable kneejerk anti-Union tirade.

I travel by rail most days and of course I want to travel in safety and comfort (in that order). Was Railtrack a huge success ? Perhaps it would be welcome for Conservatives to admit the Major privatisation was flawed before rushing to change everything once again.

The onus has to be on the provision of a safe and evolving rail network not the acquisition of profit by private companies. I don't care who runs the railway - I do care about companies making big profits when the service they provide is deteriorating. That people are forced to pay thousands of pounds for annual tickets that allow them not a seat but to stand on a train just to get to and from London is absurd.

The network is improving - the London Bridge project is getting there and the redevelopment of Waterloo and the return to use of the former Eurostar platforms is long overdue and there are improvements in other parts of the country but the demand is relentless and growing.
    We just had an announcement yesterday about three new stations around Leeds - including one that almost serves Leeds-Bradford airport. However, Leeds station is a major pinch point, and I can't see what can be done to increase capacity and allow more trains to run.
  • Options
  • Options

Charles said:

stodge said:

Cyclefree said:

I'm far from convinced (though could be) that today's statement about NR and the TOCs sharing responsibility for maintenance is sensible - there are a great many complexities that could trip it up. Just one is *which* TOCs have the responsibility on lines where many operators run trains.

Hopefully these issues have been thought through. (yes, I know).
    I agree (and with stodge) that the detail will be critical. Even so, working together has to be a good idea; something the RMT seems frequently incapable of.
  • Options

stodge said:

We just had an announcement yesterday about three new stations around Leeds - including one that almost serves Leeds-Bradford airport. However, Leeds station is a major pinch point, and I can't see what can be done to increase capacity and allow more trains to run.
    HS2.

http://news.leeds.gov.uk/plans-to-transform-leeds-station-into-high-speed-transport-hub-revealed
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

despite taking off practically all my clothes before going through security I still set off every alarm going.

I find that happens to me also.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

I put Paul Dacre as unsung hero, he's been grooming his readership for 25 years for this.

I put J C Junker, who I believe has done more to destabilize the EU than even Mr N Farage.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Time is pretty anti-Trump, so I wouldn't back him at those odds. Putin seems value this year, winning the Syrian war, breaking up europe via populist nationalism and manipulating the POTUS election to put his man in the Oval Office. He is the puppetmaster extraordinaire!
  • Options
    CRISPR scientists will likely have a bigger impact over time, but not this year.
    Farage as likely as Clinton sounds right, both very unlikely.
  • Options
    Rather like the number of Conservatives being happy with Corbyn's performance, how many of those annoyed with the government over Brexit hold that view because it's not been implemented yet?
  • Options

stodge said:

HS2.

http://news.leeds.gov.uk/plans-to-transform-leeds-station-into-high-speed-transport-hub-revealed
    HeadING right through the yard we get all our feed from.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

HS2.

HeadING right through the yard we get all our feed from.
    Is that a good or bad thing? ;)

In all seriousness, as someone living in an area affected by HS2, what's the local mood like about the scheme?
  • Options
    Well I've started reading regularly again but not enough to comment on poster of the year. As for those who think it's especially bad tempered? I remember it being as bad and I do think that people have had far more reason to get narky this year than in some previous years.
  • Options

Time is pretty anti-Trump, so I wouldn't back him at those odds. Putin seems value this year, winning the Syrian war, breaking up europe via populist nationalism and manipulating the POTUS election to put his man in the Oval Office. He is the puppetmaster extraordinaire!
    Putin won it a few years ago, and twice might be over-egging the pudding, especially as we do not know how Syria will end, and I doubt Time will want to accuse Putin of rigging the election without proof.

My guess would be one of the groups eg Flint or Crispr but I do not usually bet on these things. It is hard to know from this distance what American opinion-formers think of Modi or Erdogan, or even Farage.
  • Options
    Mr. Fletcher, good to see you on. There was much grumpiness around the Scottish vote too.
  • Options
    philiph said:

I put Paul Dacre as unsung hero, he's been grooming his readership for 25 years for this.

I put J C Junker, who I believe has done more to destabilize the EU than even Mr N Farage.
    I put Matthew Elliot
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    edited December 2016
    https://twitter.com/MichaelPDeacon/status/806064277916413952

A sitting room somewhere in Petersburg, 1917.

'Well Pyotr, you and your mates spent all yesterday prancing about dressed up as evil Cossacks and Okhrana, is it storming the Winter Palace today?'

'Don't think so love, we've made our point.'
  • Options

Mr. Fletcher, good to see you on. There was much grumpiness around the Scottish vote too.

In the years leading up to it!
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Charles said:

stodge said:

Cyclefree said:

I think the simple answer is for the government to legislate that transport services are essential services (which they clearly are) - and thus lose the right to strike.
    If transport services are so vital -- and many would agree with you on that point -- is it right that the government should allow their ownership by foreign companies and even foreign governments? I doubt the Americans would wear it.
  • Options

<
    I agree (and with stodge) that the detail will be critical. Even so, working together has to be a good idea; something the RMT seems frequently incapable of.

Thank you for the kind word, David. As far as the RMT is concerned, I was fascinated to read of Boris's experiences with them as Mayor. I was certain there was going to be a big showdown engineered by Boris and TfL to break the RMT.

It never happened - the late Bob Crow was too canny to fall into that trap. Indeed, Boris found the public rhetoric wasn't matched in private - the ticket offices are gone (regrettable) and we now have a 24-hour tube service on some lines (patchy but growing) but the RMT negotiators have ensured their members have done well from this process.

This is the point of the union - to represent their members and ensure they aren't disadvantaged or their job security threatened by changes (improvements if you like).

So we have a business which improves and takes its workers with it by ensuring said workers are properly paid and recognised - perhaps all companies could do that and maybe put workers on the board (Mrs May thinks that a good idea or she did until the CBI told her it wasn't).

• Options

Patrick said:

Charles said:

stodge said:

Cyclefree said:

If transport services are so vital -- and many would agree with you on that point -- is it right that the government should allow their ownership by foreign companies and even foreign governments? I doubt the Americans would wear it.
    Possibly not. I could happily wear some restrictions of transport ownership or business models if it would guarantee zero strikes.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Patrick said:

philiph said:

I put Matthew Elliot
    The people of Turkey for me.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    ONS
    16% of employees in the specialised construction industry received around zero pay growth between 2015 and 2016 https://t.co/ZGcFMgUzj9 https://t.co/0jTpUa14re

@OldKingCole Best wishes for your speedy recovery

Re the survey, I chose @Patrick as POTY as he always says interesting common sense stuff.

Unsung hero - Brendan Chiltern, leader of Labour Leave

Gove as biggest political loser - I hope May gives him a serious job very soon.
  • Options

stodge said:

HS2.

This won't do anything to add capacity for existing normal services for Northern, Trans-Pennine, etc. I guess if the current East Coast Service to KX is reduced to one train an hour when HS2 is running it will free up one path per hour in and out, but that won't achieve much benefit.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Charles said:

stodge said:

Cyclefree said:

Or electric companies, gas companies, water companies. All vital, and all open to foreign ownership.
  • Options

stodge said:

HS2.

This won't do anything to add capacity for existing normal services for Northern, Trans-Pennine, etc. I guess if the current East Coast Service to KX is reduced to one train an hour when HS2 is running it will free up one path per hour in and out, but that won't achieve much benefit.
    I'm not sure that follows. If I get a chance I'll try and dig out the figures later.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Patrick said:

philiph said:

I put Matthew Elliot
    I put Dan Hannan, was behind a lot of the Leave campaign while staying out of the major debates.

Loser of the year was Jeb! He spent *how much* to come almost last in three primaries?
  • Options

Patrick said:

Charles said:

stodge said:

Cyclefree said:

Or electric companies, gas companies, water companies. All vital, and all open to foreign ownership.
    Once we are out of the EU we will be free to renationalise what we want. The sunlit uplands beckon...
  • Options

stodge said:

HS2.

I'm not sure that follows. If I get a chance I'll try and dig out the figures later.
    Thanks. There were plans to add extra platforms where the carpark is, but I think that has all been shelved now. Oh, for the days when there used to be 3 (or was it 4?) mainline stations serving the city - plenty of capacity back then (yes, I know, it made changing trains a bit of a faff).
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Labour is putting down a motion tomorrow to demand the Government publish their plans for Brexit. The motion includes the following sub-paragraph ... ""confirms that there should be no disclosure of material that could be reasonably judged to damage the UK in any negotiations to depart from the European Union after Article 50."

There's the devil in the detail of the motion. Who decides what will damage the negotiating position? It has to be the negotiators - the Government. So what's the point of the motion?

The Remain MPs think they should make that decision. They're either terminally stupid or deliberately being childish (I'm being kind here).
  • Options

Patrick said:

Charles said:

stodge said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes, why not?

So long as they follow British laws, like not striking, not restricting services etc - then how does it matter who owns it?

If they don't follow British laws then they can be renationalised and they're no longer foreign owned and it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    Morning all :) - haven't said that so far.

I haven't given Sleaford & North Hykeham (hereafter S&NH) much thought to be honest which is very rude of me.

Looking at the past results, the only time the LDs finished second was in 2010 so that would be a very good result. The Conservative vote share is usually around 50% (43% in 1997) so this is a seat which has stayed Conservative even when the Party was being heavily defeated elsewhere.

The barometer for Conservative vote share is therefore 50% - above that is fine, below that and you might start asking a few questions. Until 2010, Labour always finished second and usually a clear second but lost a lot of ground in 2010. 25% would be, you'd think, a good result for Labour and anything below 20% a concern.

As for the LDs, the deposit was saved last time so it's reasonable to suppose it will be saved this time. Coming second with 20% would be a huge result - 10-15% more likely.

The two conundrums here are UKIP and the Lincolnshire Independents. The former came a fair third last time and in a strong LEAVE area should do well but it's not gone so well for UKIP recently and if they could finish a strong second, that would be progress.

Marianne Overton polled 6.4% in 2010 and 5.2% last time but in a by election is the kind of candidate who could come from nowhere and surprise everyone and probably to the detriment of all the other candidates.

I've no idea how it will go apart from a Conservative hold being far and away the most likely (anything else would be a late entrant for Most Dramatic Political Event of the Year).
  • Options

Is that a good or bad thing? ;)

In all seriousness, as someone living in an area affected by HS2, what's the local mood like about the scheme?

Anti. Very very anti.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/popular-riding-school-facing-demolition-to-make-way-for-hs2-line-1-8124635
  • Options

Thanks. There were plans to add extra platforms where the carpark is, but I think that has all been shelved now. Oh, for the days when there used to be 3 (or was it 4?) mainline stations serving the city - plenty of capacity back then (yes, I know, it made changing trains a bit of a faff).

That plan was shelved, but AFAIK the current plan is for a T-shaped station, with the present station forming the top bar and the HS2 platforms the vertical, with a shared concourse between them. Therefore there will be extra platforms though generally only accessible for HS2 services.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    stodge said:

Charles said:

I'm not convinced there's a "manifestly" about it. There seems some evidence that longer trains in particular benefit from a guard providing greater visibility than a driver stuck at one end with all the mirrors and monitors on offer.

This has gone on for months - whatever the rights and wrongs, the passengers (let's call them that, not "customers") deserve a decent service. Both sides are in the wrong - I would like to see an interventionist Government as this one seems to be (or wants to be) banging heads together and either agreeing a 90-day cooling off period or threatening to take away the franchise if this isn't resolved or similar.

If the cost of "breaking" the RMT (which seems the desire of Go Via and a number of Conservative MPs) is months of lousy service, is it a price worth paying just to show they are stronger than the union ?

The poor passengers (facing a 2.3% increase from January) are the ones who should be going on strike or refusing to pay the extra fares (those whose companies don't pay for the tickets that is).
    Taking away the franchise would punish the company - it's what the union wants.

Southern has promised no job losses - the guards are just spending more time on customer* service

There is a regulator (not Ofrail, sadly) that has validated the proposal from a safety perspective.

There should be restrictions on striking in vital public services.

* they pay. That makes them a customer
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    I see on CNN an elector from Texas refusing to vote for Trump the electoral college how many others could follow suit . With the recounts as well does anyone think Trump could still be denied the Presidency?
  • Options

Patrick said:

Charles said:

stodge said:

Cyclefree said:

Harold Macmillan may have been right that a lot of privatisations were more about selling the family silver (ie selling assets to raise money) than about introducing competition and free market economics as the rhetoric of the time had us believe.

We'd do better taking back control of the utilities and saving money by closing down MI5 since we seem happy to give away any secrets foreign spies may be after, and to allow potentially hostile foreign governments own or build our infrastructure.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Charles said:

stodge said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes, why not?

So long as they follow British laws, like not striking, not restricting services etc - then how does it matter who owns it?

If they don't follow British laws then they can be renationalised and they're no longer foreign owned and it doesn't matter.
    *Ahem* People are waiting for messages in the pb diplomacy game. Of course being Turkey you might not bother with myself... but England, Germany and Italy - well they are your immediate neighbours. Mute players don't do well and the game will reset if you don't put in any moves for the first turn.

Just a suggestion.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852

Patrick said:

Charles said:

stodge said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes, why not?

Leaving aside the years any attempted nationalisation would spend in Judicial Review. Which company is going to sign up to invest in a utility if they feel there is a substantial risk of being renationalised unless the terms of the contract make that prohibitively expensive, even compensating the owner at fair market value is probably politically if not financially beyond most governments these days.
  • Options

That plan was shelved, but AFAIK the current plan is for a T-shaped station, with the present station forming the top bar and the HS2 platforms the vertical, with a shared concourse between them. Therefore there will be extra platforms though generally only accessible for HS2 services.
    Actually, looking at one of the artists' impressions in the report (page 15), this shows extra platforms where the carpark is, although these are not mentioned in the report.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

I see on CNN an elector from Texas refusing to vote for Trump the electoral college how many others could follow suit . With the recounts as well does anyone think Trump could still be denied the Presidency?

Very unlikely, unless the faithless electors actually vote for Clinton to give her 270 - but most of them will be Republican activists!

Any funny business and it goes to the House, who will elect Trump as it has a Republican majority.
  • Options
    HHemmeligHHemmelig Posts: 617
    edited December 2016

stodge said:

HS2.

There were never any such "days". Leeds only ever had 2 mainline stations - City, which is the present day station, and Central. Given that Leeds Central closed in the 1960s you must be pretty old to remember using it.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

Patrick said:

Charles said:

stodge said:

Cyclefree said:

Why would insulating a sector of the economy from foreign competition make it better?
  • Options
    Charles said:

stodge said:

Charles said:

Taking away the franchise would punish the company - it's what the union wants.

Southern has promised no job losses - the guards are just spending more time on customer* service

There is a regulator (not Ofrail, sadly) that has validated the proposal from a safety perspective.

There should be restrictions on striking in vital public services.

* they pay. That makes them a customer
    Asymmetric aims. What is good for the union is not necessarily bad for the passengers. I just don't see how Southern can come back from this, as a brand, as an entity.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

Patrick said:

Charles said:

stodge said:

Cyclefree said:

Once we are out of the EU we will be free to renationalise what we want. The sunlit uplands beckon...
    The sunlit uplands of British Rail? Clearly you are a young man.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    edited December 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Why would insulating a sector of the economy from foreign competition make it better?

Sounds like an argument for privatising GCHQ ;)

• Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    The Guardian exaggerating in order to hit the Tories.

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,032
    I'm going to be pissed off if I don't win PotY.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,391
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Holyrood results

Specifically the huge grin on Ruth's face when she won Edinburgh Central. Not the most important thing of the year but the one that gave me the most cheer.
    David, you need to get out more.
    LOL, very good Malcolm. And a merry Christmas to you and yours.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Patrick said:

Charles said:

stodge said:

Cyclefree said:

In most cases there is no foreign competition, just foreign ownership of de facto monopoly utilities.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    kjohnw said:

No
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Patrick said:

Charles said:

stodge said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes, why not?

*Ahem* People are waiting for messages in the pb diplomacy game. Of course being Turkey you might not bother with myself... but England, Germany and Italy - well they are your immediate neighbours. Mute players don't do well and the game will reset if you don't put in any moves for the first turn.

Just a suggestion.
    Oh thanks for the heads up sorry!
  • Options
    OECD PISA rankings UK Not too shabby - in the top tier of European countries - lagging Asia, as usual...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cy-_4PKWgAASDNf.jpg
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    rcs1000 said:

Patrick said:

Charles said:

stodge said:

Cyclefree said:

The point presumably is that there is no competition. An analogous argument that @MaxPB was making about Openreach.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited December 2016

OECD PISA rankings UK Not too shabby - in the top tier of European countries - lagging Asia, as usual...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cy-_4PKWgAASDNf.jpg

Bit of a confusing graph, they are listed by science only. Which is our best.
This discussion has been closed.