Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP has ceased to be a serious player and it’s time the BBC s

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Floater said:

I suppose the Libs are a serious force.........

I say that as someone who often votes Lib Dem

you might have mis-typed a vowel.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Dr. Prasannan, no. Lib Dems won 8 seats, UKIP won 1. Clear yellow victory.
  • Options

Avast, Mr Dancer!

UKIP 3.9 million votes
    LibDems 2.4 million
  • Options
    Daniel said:

For the record, it was Ofgem who upgraded UKIP to a "major political party" and said they should be treated alongside the Tories, LAB and LD. Nothing to do with the BBC.

Ofcom, not Ofgem! Ofgem deal with the utilities!
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

As committed supporters of PR, that card is not available to the Lib Dems. If things were done as they would wish them to be done, Ukip would be the third party in Parliament right now.

And we'd probably have a Con-Ukip coalition Government.
  • Options
    Dr. Prasannan, boasting of vote share is like bragging about turnover.

Profit is what counts. MPs make governments, not bar charts.

Dr. Prasannan (2), it'll always be ununpentium to me.
  • Options
    SWINNNNGGGG LOWWWWWWW SWEEEEEETTTT CHAAAARRRIOOOTTTTTT....
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    rcs1000 said:

The LibDems have found an inverse correlation between exposure for Farron and electoral performance.
    As I recall Tim Farron was on QT the week before a spectacular byelection win :-)

The mocking of the LDs by the PB Brexiteers does show that they are rather frit, as May dithers and delays about Brexit. They see their prize slipping away...
  • Options
    UKIP have ceased to be a player based on the evidence of what?

Richmond Park - UKIP were never relevant and didn't stand
    Witney - they were not relevant here either
    Tooting - again, not UKIP territory
    Ogmore - their vote share went up here
    Sheffield Brightside - 20% of the vote, down 2%
    Oldham West - 23.4%, up 2.8%

So you are basing your conclusion on the basis of Witney and Tooting? On what planet were these EVER fertile for UKIP ?

Wasn't your previous post that it didn't matter Labour lost their deposit in Richmond?
  • Options
    Hopefully OGH won't mind me pointing out that Average vote % at the five Westminster by-elections this parliament where ALL four big parties contested (ie., exc. Batley and Richmond):

Lab 49.6%
    Con 21.7%
    UKIP 12.9%
    LibDem 9.1%
  • Options
    What are the chances that UKIP leapfrog Labour into 2nd in Sleaford? Will they continue to be irrelevant when that happens?
  • Options
    Dr. Foxinsox, I'm not sure it's accurate to suggest the frequency or degree of Farron mockery has altered in any way in recent days. It's the same as it ever was.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    To the Trumpsters the emperor is wearing a suit of the finest quality, only a fool couldn't see it.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Vote shares for all Council By elections June 2016 to date

Con 30.7%
    Lab 29.9%
    LDem 17.2%
    UKIP 7.2%
    Green 3.1%
    Nats 4.4%
    Others 8.5%
  • Options

Dr. Foxinsox, I'm not sure it's accurate to suggest the frequency or degree of Farron mockery has altered in any way in recent days. It's the same as it ever was.

Possibly, but now it has an edge of fear.
  • Options

Dr. Prasannan, boasting of vote share is like bragging about turnover.

Profit is what counts. MPs make governments, not bar charts.

Dr. Prasannan (2), it'll always be ununpentium to me.

Mr Dancer, LEAVE got bigger vote-share than REMAIN, did they not? ;)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Hopefully OGH won't mind me pointing out that Average vote % at the five Westminster by-elections this parliament where ALL four big parties contested (ie., exc. Batley and Richmond):

Lab 49.6%
    Con 21.7%
    UKIP 12.9%
    LibDem 9.1%

Heretic! Bringing facts into it...
  • Options
    dogbasket said:

What are the chances that UKIP leapfrog Labour into 2nd in Sleaford? Will they continue to be irrelevant when that happens?

1/4 with PP.

I would put it a lot lower. Victoria Ayling is an appallling candidate for UKIP.
  • Options
    Dr. Foxinsox, there's concern and (potentially) anger and bitterness that the shock referendum result will be watered down, reversed or ignored.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402

To the Trumpsters the emperor is wearing a suit of the finest quality, only a fool couldn't see it.
    Putin warns about crony capitalism. And people try to claim that he does not have a sense of humour.
  • Options
    "To the Trumpsters the emperor is wearing a suit of the finest quality, only a fool cannot see it."

Yeah, Drumpf is such an idiot, I mean he went and gave tax breaks to keep jobs in America, but here we've got the EU to tells us we can't do that - praise the flying spaghetti monster we have the EU to protect us from such maniacs. Hail Brussels. Hail EU. Fuck Drumpf, fuck Amerikkkkkkkkka.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

The LibDems have found an inverse correlation between exposure for Farron and electoral performance.
    As I recall Tim Farron was on QT the week before a spectacular byelection win :-)

The mocking of the LDs by the PB Brexiteers does show that they are rather frit, as May dithers and delays about Brexit. They see their prize slipping away...
    Double the dosage.....
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Moses_ said:

"The chart above graphically illustrates how poorly UKIP has been doing in Westminster by elections this year. The BBC should take notice."

Why? All parties have ups and downs the Lib Dems know this more than anyone.

The chart from the 2015 General election is more relevant I would say. In this the share of the vote is

Lib Dems 2, 415, 141 or 7.9% of the vote share
    UKIP. 3,888,876. or 12.7% of the vote share.
    (In London this is pretty much reversed on vote share plus some)

https://data.london.gov.uk/blog/the-2015-election-the-numbers-behind-the-result/

Interesting that the Lib Dems wish to shut down publicity and political views of it a party that achieved a larger vote share than they did but significantly changed the political landscape in this country like no other has done for many years.

In saying that though the BBC work to their own agenda and given the importance and significance of the by Richmond election I agree there should have been a Lib Dem representative on that panel without hesitation. Why there was not is open to question. Lib Dems better ensure that is not Olney who during a radio interview yesterday got utterly shredded and drowned before being finally dragged off the radio by an aid. Can't do that on QT.

She has twice coped well opposite Andrew Neil. Yesterday she was silenced by an interviewer whose very aggressive questions didn't make any sense to her. Andrew Neil's questioning is forensic but they make sense. She was trying to handle Hartley-Brewer's questions on an unspun reasonable basis but that wasn't the game. She shouldn't have been put up for that interview. She'll be fine on QT.
    Plant food. People that wanted an effective campaigner in the media against Heathrow expansion will compare her to Zac and wonder what on earth voters in Richmond were doing.
  • Options
    dogbasket said:

They are more likely to finish 4th than 2nd behind Labour and Marianne Overton . I hear their campaign is woefully underfunded .
  • Options

Tim Farron makes Ed Miliband look Churchillian :lol:
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Yes, because every constituency is like Richmond...

Farron is a political lightweight and the Lib Dems will continue to be a largely irrelevant party until they ditch him.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Putin warns about crony capitalism. And people try to claim that he does not have a sense of humour.
    I think it is Palin rather than Putin on the tweet.
  • Options

England 37-21 Oz - England win their 14th consecutive match and will end 2016 unbeaten.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Double the dosage.....
    Farron unlike May is an election winner .
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147

dogbasket said:

1/4 with PP.

I would put it a lot lower. Victoria Ayling is an appallling candidate for UKIP.
    Ayling gaining prominence would be almost as bad news for Brexit as Olney's win in Richmond.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Double the dosage.....
    We'll see about that.....
  • Options

England 37-21 Oz - England win their 14th consecutive match and will end 2016 unbeaten.
    And without some of England's best players. No Big Billy, no Watson, no Haskell...
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Surely the test should be what is in the public interest. As a member of the public and not a member of any party, I want to hear sufficient detail to judge the merits of all parties that are serious contenders for power. For all their ups and downs, right now I would say that both UKIP and the Lib Dems count as serious contenders. I am not particularly bothered by the exact scheduling, but I want to hear about both of them.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402

DavidL said:

I think it is Palin rather than Putin on the tweet.
    Ok, so I am overdue for an eye test. I admit it.
  • Options
    Number of lost deposits at Westminster by-elections this decade (since GE2010):

LibDem 13
    UKIP 6
    Lab 1
    Con 0
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Moses_ said:

"The chart above graphically illustrates how poorly UKIP has been doing in Westminster by elections this year. The BBC should take notice."

Why? All parties have ups and downs the Lib Dems know this more than anyone.

The chart from the 2015 General election is more relevant I would say. In this the share of the vote is

Lib Dems 2, 415, 141 or 7.9% of the vote share
    UKIP. 3,888,876. or 12.7% of the vote share.
    (In London this is pretty much reversed on vote share plus some)

https://data.london.gov.uk/blog/the-2015-election-the-numbers-behind-the-result/

Interesting that the Lib Dems wish to shut down publicity and political views of it a party that achieved a larger vote share than they did but significantly changed the political landscape in this country like no other has done for many years.

In saying that though the BBC work to their own agenda and given the importance and significance of the by Richmond election I agree there should have been a Lib Dem representative on that panel without hesitation. Why there was not is open to question. Lib Dems better ensure that is not Olney who during a radio interview yesterday got utterly shredded and drowned before being finally dragged off the radio by an aid. Can't do that on QT.

She has twice coped well opposite Andrew Neil. Yesterday she was silenced by an interviewer whose very aggressive questions didn't make any sense to her. Andrew Neil's questioning is forensic but they make sense. She was trying to handle Hartley-Brewer's questions on an unspun reasonable basis but that wasn't the game. She shouldn't have been put up for that interview. She'll be fine on QT.
    Plant food. People that wanted an effective campaigner in the media against Heathrow expansion will compare her to Zac and wonder what on earth voters in Richmond were doing.
    Come the next election, Olney will have failed to stop Heathrow expansion, failed to stop Article 50, failed to have stopped Brexit, failed to have got a second Referendum.

But she will have appeared on a million leaflets, pointing at potholes....
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Double the dosage.....
    Nurse! The screens!
  • Options

dogbasket said:

1/4 with PP.

Ayling gaining prominence would be almost as bad news for Brexit as Olney's win in Richmond.
    For those who missed my clip. This is VA campaigning for UKIP last May in the UKIP target seat of Grimsby. It was on Sunday Politics East Midlands. I piled on Labour on that seat and did very nicely. She offends everyone she meets:

https://youtu.be/ZDVyqjrsPqU
  • Options
    Labour will seek to amend any Article 50 bill:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38196303
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited December 2016
    Austria
    Big gaps between back and lay prices for Hofer and van der Bellen, and not a tiny market either, albeit less than half the size of the Italian one:

Hofer 1.32 - 1.43 (in from back price 1.45 five hours ago)
    van der Bellen 3.15 - 3.7

A little bird tells me the bods at the New York Times Berlin desk think Hofer is nailed on.

Italy
    Yes 3.45 - 3.6
    No 1.38 - 1.4 (about the same as back price 1.37 five hours ago)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

dogbasket said:

1/4 with PP.

15-2 Lab worth a bet here
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

Austria
    Big gaps between back and lay prices for Hofer and van der Bellen, and not a tiny market either, albeit less than half the size of the Italian one:

Hofer 1.3 - 1.43 (in from back price 1.45 five hours ago)
    van der Bellen 3.15 - 7

A little bird tells me the bods at the New York Times Berlin desk think Hofer is nailed on.

Italy
    Yes 3.45 - 3.6
    No 1.38 - 4 (about the same as back price of 1.37 five hours ago)

I was at dinner with an Austrian friend last night, she thinks it a toss up as it was last time

As such the value lies with Van der Bellen.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Labour will seek to amend any Article 50 bill:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38196303

Interesting, although not particularly surprising:

"However, the spokesman added that if the amendment failed, Labour "will not vote against the Article 50 bill"."
  • Options

LibDem 13
    UKIP 6
    Con 1
    Lab 1
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited December 2016

dogbasket said:

1/4 with PP.

For those who missed my clip. This is VA campaigning for UKIP last May in the UKIP target seat of Grimsby. It was on Sunday Politics East Midlands. I piled on Labour on that seat and did very nicely. She offends everyone she meets:

Wow! She almost defines "hectoring harridan"
  • Options

LibDem 13
    UKIP 6
    Con 1
    Lab 1

That was then This is NOW.
  • Options

LibDem 13
    UKIP 6
    Con 1
    Lab 1

How many by election gains by each party?

;-)
  • Options
    If a GE was held in 2017 I assume only Theresa May and Corbyn would be involved in the main tv debates
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited December 2016
    Austria: most polling stations will close at 5pm Austrian time, 4pm GMT, tomorrow. Near-final results are expected by 9pm GMT. If it's as close as it was last time, the result won't be known until Monday or Tuesday.
  • Options
    More bad UKIP numbers coming up - the PB YouGov party favourability ratings. @Sunil_Prasannan
  • Options

LibDem 13
    UKIP 6
    Con 1
    Lab 1

You should exclude Richmond from your analysis (as you did for Batley) as neither the Cons nor UKIP fielded a candidate.

Also wasn't Oldham West this Parliament?
  • Options
    TSE

Tick tock
  • Options

LibDem 13
    UKIP 6
    Con 1
    Lab 1

How many by election gains by each party?

;-)
    Clacton and Rochester not gains. Carswell and Reckless fought the by-elections after defecting and UKIP was incumbent party.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

If a GE was held in 2017 I assume only Theresa May and Corbyn would be involved in the main tv debates

Corbyn has to be questionable as well.

• Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819

Lab 49.6%
    Con 21.7%
    UKIP 12.9%
    LibDem 9.1%

No Tory against Zac in Richmond.
    Tory activists pounded the street for Zac.
    Tory MPs canvassed for Zac.
    Tory data made available for Zac.

Zac loses.

"Nope. Nothing to do with us!"
    It's so true - victory has hundreds of fathers; defeat is an orphan.
  • Options
    It is absolutely right that UKIP should be treated as a minor party. But that applies equally to the Lib Dems who have been pandered to for far more years than UKIP and who also deserve to be treated as also rans.

I look forward to the extinction of both parties as neither of them now has anything useful to contribute to politics beyond whining from the margins.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    The Lib Dems should be on as often as the DUP. They each have similar numbers of seats. (Nine and eight).
  • Options

Lab 49.6%
    Con 21.7%
    UKIP 12.9%
    LibDem 9.1%

No Tory against Zac in Richmond.
    Tory activists pounded the street for Zac.
    Tory MPs canvassed for Zac.
    Tory data made available for Zac.

Zac loses.

"Nope. Nothing to do with us!"
    It's so true - victory has hundreds of fathers; defeat is an orphan.
    Tories, denying paternity through the ages.
  • Options
    Following Sleaford where are the next parliamentary by elections likely to be ?

Liverpool Walton and Leigh will almost certainly follow the Merseyside and Greater Manchester mayoral elections . Manchester Gorton is likely as Kaufman has not been well enough to appear in Parliament since May . Letwin in West Dorset has already announced he will not stand again and the animosity between him and May could lead him to decide to go earlier .
    Ben Howlett in Bath may still be in trouble with the police and the local press this week have been having a go at him over his expenses claims .
  • Options

I don't think that is tenable anymore, there will be multiple leaders debatrs as last time.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

Austria: most polling stations will close at 5pm Austrian time, 4pm GMT, tomorrow. Near-final results are expected by 9pm GMT. If it's as close as it was last time, the result won't be known until Monday or Tuesday.

Will postals be counted later on when they know how many net votes are needed to overturn Hofer's lead ?
  • Options

LibDem 13
    UKIP 6
    Con 1
    Lab 1

Out of interest, where was the Con lost deposit?
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

The LibDums are mocked for their dirty play and hollow policy.
    http://order-order.com/2016/12/01/libdem-fake-news-richmond/
    I remember the debate on the Lisbon Treaty - the Tories wanted a referendum on the Treaty, the LibDums said they wanted a referendum on leaving the EU!

• Options

LibDem 13
    UKIP 6
    Con 1
    Lab 1

You should exclude Richmond from your analysis (as you did for Batley) as neither the Cons nor UKIP fielded a candidate.

Also wasn't Oldham West this Parliament?
    What would the figures look like with Zac's voted assumed as Conservative?
  • Options
    Charles said:

dogbasket said:

1/4 with PP.

Wow! She almost defines "hectoring harridan"
    The Lincolnshire reporter interviews all the candidates here:

http://lincolnshirereporter.co.uk/2016/12/full-sleaford-north-hykeham-election-live-chats/

Obviously as the byelection takes place outside the M25 it is of little interest to the MSM.

The downgrading of Grantham Hospital A/E, and local issues over transport seem to be the other issue along with Brexit. The LD is the only pro-EU candidate in a constituency with a 38% Remain vote. The Lab candidate is a WWC bin lorry driver and Trade Unionist. The OMRLP candidate is rather boring.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited December 2016

I don't think that is tenable anymore, there will be multiple leaders debatrs as last time.
    Perhaps they should introduce eliminators?

The Lib Dems, the Greens, Labour, the SNP, Plaid - yet only c. 45% of the electorate among them. Tories and UKIP = 55%

There is absolutely no justification for the proliferation of so many voices who represent the minority in this country.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Could have been worse. At least it wasn't the repellent Farage.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    The Kipper agenda dominates our politics and they had a leadership election this week. LD had their time in the sun.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    I have no problem with any broadcaster, radio or TV, inviting whichever guest they choose to interview or appear on a panel. If people don't like the choice of guest, or feel they are hard done to, they can always find another outlet to soothe their confirmation bias. There must be a thousand outlets for anyone, whatever their political persuasion (even the lib dems). What I do have a very big problem with, however, is being forced to PAY for a socialised broadcaster through a mandatory tax. As far as I am aware, not even the Chinese and the North Koreans subject their populations to that level of state funded propaganda. I can certainly choose not to watch or listen to the BBC, and I often do, but I cannot choose not to pay for it. It is at the very least immoral, and at the very worst, something nearing Orwellian totalitarianism.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    perdix said:

I remember the debate on the Lisbon Treaty - the Tories wanted a referendum on the Treaty, the LibDums said they wanted a referendum on leaving the EU!

The Lib Dems are consistent. We are still calling for an EU referendum. :-)
  • Options

The inclusion of the SNP would certainly be welcome for the Tories. Any reminder that a Labour Government would not only be led by Jeremy Corbyn but also have its strings pulled by Scottish Nationalism can only help them everywhere south of the Tweed.
  • Options
    Mr. Perdix, I recall that. Wasn't it the time Clegg had a three-line whip on abstaining because he really wanted a referendum on leaving or staying, not the treaty?

Mr. Pulpstar, quite. Frankly, if Hofer wins I think there'll be more confidence in the result. If there were voting irregularities last time, why not just discount the dubious votes?

I do wonder what would've happened if the question marks had been over Hofer supporters rather than van der Bellen.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited December 2016

The Lib Dems should be on as often as the DUP. They each have similar numbers of seats. (Nine and eight).

It should be based on the number of votes each party gets in elections not the number of seats won.

Otherwise the FPTP system distorts the airwaves too.
  • Options

The inclusion of the SNP would certainly be welcome for the Tories. Any reminder that a Labour Government would not only be led by Jeremy Corbyn but also have its strings pulled by Scottish Nationalism can only help them everywhere south of the Tweed.
    I dunno. I am increasingly liking Ms Sturgeon, I would be happy to see the SNP represented in government.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    OGH roots for the L/Dems. And why not, as his roots are in the Liberal Party and even stood for a seat in the distant past.
  • Options

LibDem 13
    UKIP 6
    Con 1
    Lab 1

Manchester Central 2012, I voted in that by election.

I was one of the crazy 754
  • Options
    Mr. Evershed, the media should cover politics reflecting the results, not giving exaggerated coverage to parties who are inept and manage to achieve few victories but a glorious waste of second places.
  • Options

perdix said:

Mr/Ms Fox

How are the Lib Dems doing in S Oxon?
  • Options

TSE

Tick tock

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

I cannot win every week.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Will there be any debates?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920
    Jason said:

I have no problem with any broadcaster, radio or TV, inviting whichever guest they choose to interview or appear on a panel. If people don't like the choice of guest, or feel they are hard done to, they can always find another outlet to soothe their confirmation bias. There must be a thousand outlets for anyone, whatever their political persuasion (even the lib dems). What I do have a very big problem with, however, is being forced to PAY for a socialised broadcaster through a mandatory tax. As far as I am aware, not even the Chinese and the North Koreans subject their populations to that level of state funded propaganda. I can certainly choose not to watch or listen to the BBC, and I often do, but I cannot choose not to pay for it. It is at the very least immoral, and at the very worst, something nearing Orwellian totalitarianism.

The BBC is worse than Chinese or North Korean propaganda?
    Wow.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited December 2016

perdix said:

Lib Dems only call for an EU referendum when the Govt does not want one and it is unlikely to happen. When an EU referendum is likely then the Lib Dems oppose it.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Don't think so, I think the Tories will put the nix on them.

Mrs May's pretty crap performance at PMQs shows she's not good at stuff like this.
  • Options

perdix said:

Mr/Ms Fox

How are the Lib Dems doing in S Oxon?
    No idea, I live in Leics. Oxon is not my chicken coop!
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I agree debates are unlikely, but worth recalling Cameron was generally very good at PMQs and a bit rubbish at the debates.

Also worth remembering Hague was better than Blair, for all the good that did him.

[I remain underwhelmed by May, I just don't think PMQs matter too much].
  • Options

I dunno. I am increasingly liking Ms Sturgeon, I would be happy to see the SNP represented in government.
    I think that you will find that you are in a minority.

IIRC, the last time PB published its favourability ratings the SNP was included. It broke even amongst Remain voters, but was about as popular as cancer amongst the Leavers.

It certainly repels an awful lot more voters outside of Scotland than it attracts. And given that outside of Scotland = 92% of the UK, this is something of a problem for those tainted by association with it, as EdM found to his cost.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

Don't think so, I think the Tories will put the nix on them.

Mrs May's pretty crap performance at PMQs shows she's not good at stuff like this.
    I suspect you may be right there.
  • Options

Following Sleaford where are the next parliamentary by elections likely to be ?

Liverpool Walton and Leigh will almost certainly follow the Merseyside and Greater Manchester mayoral elections . Manchester Gorton is likely as Kaufman has not been well enough to appear in Parliament since May . Letwin in West Dorset has already announced he will not stand again and the animosity between him and May could lead him to decide to go earlier .
    Ben Howlett in Bath may still be in trouble with the police and the local press this week have been having a go at him over his expenses claims .

As an official 'EU Champion' in Parliament and one of those who has often said that important decisions should not be left to the people I would love to see Howlett crash and burn. He really is a most obnoxious character.
  • Options

LibDem 13
    UKIP 6
    Con 1
    Lab 1

In the Oasis then TSE.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Absolutely Michael. I have a bet hat UKIp will finish fourth at Sleaford with the Lib Dems second
  • Options
    theakes said:

Absolutely Michael. I have a bet hat UKIp will finish fourth at Sleaford with the Lib Dems second

Lib Dems seem to have abandoned Sleaford.
  • Options

LibDem 13
    UKIP 6
    Con 1
    Lab 1

That makes sense now!
  • Options

theakes said:

No, there is a campaign underway, with a call out to other East Mids LDs parties to canvass and help with mailshot this weekend.

38% Remain in the constituency is a reasonable pool to fish in, and LDs were second in S and H in 2010, so a significant vote in recent memory.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,280
    edited December 2016

It certainly repels an awful lot more voters outside of Scotland than it attracts. And given that outside of Scotland = 92% of the UK, this is something of a problem for those tainted by association with it, as EdM found to his cost.

It's also then a problem for the UK, or for the minority who identify primarily with the UK. Even UKIP have stopped paying lip service to the UK component of their name, despite it making them look a bit dickish (not ever a problem for them tbf).
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, I agree debates are unlikely, but worth recalling Cameron was generally very good at PMQs and a bit rubbish at the debates.

Also worth remembering Hague was better than Blair, for all the good that did him.

[I remain underwhelmed by May, I just don't think PMQs matter too much].

Cameron Won via debates, as did Corbyn. May did not even have one.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Listening to a Newsnight from the other night

"Do we need Tony Blair" o_OOOO_o !!
  • Options
    Dr. Foxinsox, Cameron became PM in spite of debates, not because of them.
  • Options

theakes said:

That may be so but the Hykeham part of the seat has long had strong Lib Dem representation
This discussion has been closed.