Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Based on the success of other MPs who resigned to fight by-ele

Comments

• Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    edited November 2016
    "Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays,
    instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion."

All very fine but the mantra had its origin in the heyday of the old English country gentleman MP who stood for "Independence" at the hustings and then settled down to supporting the government of the day (usually Tory) in the House of Commons. They despised democracy and public opinion and usually opposed reform of all types.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

Anyway, I'm off for the moment.

And, as always, do remember to buy an '...overall exceptional novel' for less than the cost of bus fare:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R30UD4RIQ1SUR2/

Good review, who wrote it? ;)
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

The government had the option of making the referendum vote binding, like it did with the AV one. But it didn't. So it isn't.

The Government leaflet issued to every household said the result of the referendum would be implemented.
    It is no longer the LibDem's responsibility to implement the government's promises! The Gvt promises, the Gvt can deliver.
    It is the Lib Dem Lords responsibility to do so under the Salisbury Convention!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    PlatoSaid said:

I'm crying with laughter. This is such fabulous media clickbait. None of the networks will resist it. Another newscycle pwned.

Seriously, if you're still thinking he's daft - get a brain transplant. He's dragged every GOP opponent onto his ground and killed them. Now he's doing it every few hours on Twitter to the MSM.

It's hilarious.

Donald J Trump
    Nobody should be allowed to burn the American flag - if they do, there must be consequences - perhaps loss of citizenship or year in jail!

Who is going to defend flag burning?! :smiley:

You don't think he might be a bit... Loopy?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556

The suggestion that we should vote on:

- Government Deal
    - Nothing/hard exit
    - Return to former status quo.

seems perfectly valid, if you wanted to find out what people actually wanted.

I do not believe that Remainers are sincerely motivated by a desire to "find out what people actually wanted". I believe they hope to stop Brexit by fair means, or foul, and that if the boot was on the other foot they would reject the very same arguments that they are now making.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    edited November 2016
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

ECVs finally settled at Betfair. 1% free money still available on vote shares and Popular Vote winner. Turnout looks like the same @ 1.03 but DYOR on that.

How long now before @Shadsy pays out on the 0-5% pop vote lead for Hillary? There's no way any recounts are going to change a million votes one way or the other.
    It is paid out.
    Ah, thanks for that, must have missed it. Bet was by proxy in a shop, so will sent my mate around to collect the winnings - he was wondering why they turned him away last week as the election was ages ago in his mind!
    Trump 0-5% might be the bet next time.
    Once the illegal voters are removed, Trump 15-20% :p
    Don't want to sound all Max-Trumpkin here, but is it possible that certain "economic migrants" will have been added to the California vote registers ?
    https://www.judicialwatch.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Do-Non-Citizens-Vote-in-US-Elections-Richman-et-al.pdf

Well here's the study, I think it's works out to 25% of 18m undocumented migrants that voted in 2008. Even assuming some level of error, that's still a huge number of potentially invalid votes. In the border states it will have been huge, I think in 2016 undocumented voters may have flipped Nevada if the study is correct and holds true. In fact the compulsion to vote among illegals will have been much higher given that on one side a candidate was proposing to deport them all and on the other side there was a candidate talking about amnesty for 11m illegal immigrants.
    Debunking here. http://civildiscoursenow.com/profiles/blogs/non-citizen-votes-in-u-s-elections-article-makes-claim-that-is-bu and here https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2016/10/19/trump-thinks-non-citizens-are-deciding-elections-we-debunked-the-research-hes-citing/

They took a large YouGov poll not intended for this purpose and extrapolated from 67 people who said they were illegal immigrants who voted.

Electoral registration records are public data, and there are lots of people with an agenda to look for this, so if it's really happening on this scale you should be able to get this many actual, identified voters. The fact that nobody is actually finding these people in reality suggests illegal immigrants aren't voting on any scale, which is obvious since it would be a felony committed in broad daylight.
  • Options
    Independents aplenty (was an independent who resigned) but another straw in the wind for Ruth...

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/803569149091909632
  • Options

The game changer to all of this is what happens if Jeremy Corbyn stepped in front of a bus and Labour chose somebody without the baggage of Corbyn.

But the Labour Party is now composed mainly of Corbynite idiots, it will take a hell of a lot of traffic accidents to put that right.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,217
    PlatoSaid said:

I'm crying with laughter. This is such fabulous media clickbait. None of the networks will resist it. Another newscycle pwned.

Seriously, if you're still thinking he's daft - get a brain transplant. He's dragged every GOP opponent onto his ground and killed them. Now he's doing it every few hours on Twitter to the MSM.

It's hilarious.

Donald J Trump
    Nobody should be allowed to burn the American flag - if they do, there must be consequences - perhaps loss of citizenship or year in jail!

As I said on the previous thread, no-one's accusing Trump of being daft. Stop creating strawmen.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    This guy know his stuff....important tweet storm.

Michael McDonald ‏@ElectProject 22h22 hours ago

2/ I don't think Trump actually believes millions of illegals voted. This is laying groundwork for voting rights attack
    0 replies . 62 retweets 84 likes
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,190
    edited November 2016

DavidL said:

Incredible ICM for the Tories. I have found Mrs May somewhat underwhelming to date but the fact is we do not have an effective opposition. This is not a good thing. This is not a time when the government should be complacent, quite the opposite. They have difficult and serious work to do and they should be getting asked the awkward questions to test their positions. But they are not.

Labour are not just letting their dwindling band of supporters down, they are letting the whole country down.

It's all about Brexit now. The Tories are extremely well placed to grab a huge chunk of the 52%, plus a decent proportion of the 48% who were reluctant Remainers (i.e. persuaded by the economic arguments over their emotional preference for Leave).

Brexit has also shattered Labour's coalition, perhaps irretrievably.

The flipside to this is that the Tory position is potentially very volatile.
    The game changer to all of this is what happens if Jeremy Corbyn stepped in front of a bus and Labour chose somebody without the baggage of Corbyn.
    A ) who would that be?

B ) what policies can they swing behind that coalesces their former voters?
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,981
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

ECVs finally settled at Betfair. 1% free money still available on vote shares and Popular Vote winner. Turnout looks like the same @ 1.03 but DYOR on that.

How long now before @Shadsy pays out on the 0-5% pop vote lead for Hillary? There's no way any recounts are going to change a million votes one way or the other.
    It is paid out.
    Ah, thanks for that, must have missed it. Bet was by proxy in a shop, so will sent my mate around to collect the winnings - he was wondering why they turned him away last week as the election was ages ago in his mind!
    Don't want to sound all Max-Trumpkin here, but is it possible that certain "economic migrants" will have been added to the California vote registers ?
    https://www.judicialwatch.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Do-Non-Citizens-Vote-in-US-Elections-Richman-et-al.pdf

Well here's the study, I think it's works out to 25% of 18m undocumented migrants that voted in 2008. Even assuming some level of error, that's still a huge number of potentially invalid votes. In the border states it will have been huge, I think in 2016 undocumented voters may have flipped Nevada if the study is correct and holds true. In fact the compulsion to vote among illegals will have been much higher given that on one side a candidate was proposing to deport them all and on the other side there was a candidate talking about amnesty for 11m illegal immigrants.
    That study has not held up to scrutiny, e.g. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2016/10/19/trump-thinks-non-citizens-are-deciding-elections-we-debunked-the-research-hes-citing/
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

It's hilarious.

Donald J Trump

People who believe in the Constitution, especially the First Amendment.

Considering Trump is supposed to be swearing an oath soon to "protect and defend the constitution of the United States" ... that should include Trump.
  • Options

The fact that nobody is actually finding these people in reality suggests illegal immigrants aren't voting on any scale, which is obvious since it would be a felony committed in broad daylight.

You'd have to be a pretty stupid illegal immigrant [which - as a rule - they're not] to go and vote. Especially in California.

But there are plenty who are voting without educational qualifications or property ownership...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,698
    edited November 2016

DavidL said:

Incredible ICM for the Tories. I have found Mrs May somewhat underwhelming to date but the fact is we do not have an effective opposition. This is not a good thing. This is not a time when the government should be complacent, quite the opposite. They have difficult and serious work to do and they should be getting asked the awkward questions to test their positions. But they are not.

Labour are not just letting their dwindling band of supporters down, they are letting the whole country down.

It's all about Brexit now. The Tories are extremely well placed to grab a huge chunk of the 52%, plus a decent proportion of the 48% who were reluctant Remainers (i.e. persuaded by the economic arguments over their emotional preference for Leave).

A ) who would that be?

B ) what policies can they swing back that coalesces their former voters?
    Say Dan Jarvis, at a stroke, you remove the risk to national security tag from Labour.

As for part B ) dunno know.

But we've got a de facto presidential system, removing Corbyn from leadership gives Labour more of a hearing and thus a chance at the next general election.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,926
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

It is paid out.

Yep there's the study... And here are the links to studies showing it was a mistake.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/monkey-cage/wp/2014/10/24/could-non-citizens-decide-the-november-election/

Apparently a significant number of people clicked the wrong box on the form and said they were not us citizens...
  • Options
    nunu said:

2/ I don't think Trump actually believes millions of illegals voted. This is laying groundwork for voting rights attack

It's going to be reregistration for all US citizens requiring citizenship documentation to do so, rather than proof of residency. Birth certificates, passports, certificates of naturalisation. Possibly valid ID to vote as well.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited November 2016

DavidL said:

A ) who would that be?

Say Dan Jarvis, at a stroke, you remove the risk to national security tag from Labour.

As for part B) dunno know.

But we've got a de facto presidential system, removing Corbyn from leadership gives Labour more of a hearing and thus a chance at the next general election.
    Jarvis in shades might just do it
  • Options
    For those interested, a piece from me on how the Tories should invest some of that capital in today's poll for a longer-term dividend:

http://www.totalpolitics.com/articles/opinion/david-herdson-time-right-income-tax-hike
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024

DavidL said:

A ) who would that be?

But the next labour leader will be chosen under the same system that twice elected Jeremy Corbyn. What chance that a self-selecting electorate will decide that someone sensible and centrist is what Labour needs for a leader?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    glw said:

Why not?
    People are entitled to change their minds based on new information. It's why losing parties are allowed to stand again at the following General Election, after all.
    Simply re-running a referendum again and again until you get the result you want is certainly undemocratic, but this would not be such - it would be a meaningful choice on destination (and not "Vote for what we've handed you or nothing at all"): I'd prefer a three-choice referendum (under AV):
    - Government Deal
    - Nothing/hard exit
    - Return to former status quo.

I have no problem with us having a second referendum providing that we can also have a third referendum should the second produce the "wrong result", but I expect Remainers would be dead against that, and that all their supposedly high principled arguments for a second would suddenly be forgotten.
    Did you miss the part about "Simply re-running a referendum again and again until you get the result you want is certainly undemocratic", or did you just choose to ignore it because it spoilt your point?
  • Options

Independents aplenty (was an independent who resigned) but another straw in the wind for Ruth...

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/803569149091909632

Scottish Cons smokin' in Arbroath....

And the Labour vote halves....
  • Options

DavidL said:

A ) who would that be?

As for part B) dunno know.

Jarvis in shades might just do it
    Would he be elected or seen as a murderous blairite war criminal by the corbanists
  • Options

DavidL said:

A ) who would that be?

Jarvis looks good on paper, but every time I've heard him speak, e.g. yesterday on immigration, he's been incredibly anodyne & uninspiring.
    Not that that wouldn't necessarily be an improvement on Corbyn electorally of course.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

nunu said:

It's going to be reregistration for all US citizens requiring citizenship documentation to do so, rather than proof of residency. Birth certificates, passports, certificates of naturalisation. Possibly valid ID to vote as well.
    Yes and mysteriously there won't be enough resources to keep the offices open in minority precincts...
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    GIN1138 said:

PlatoSaid said:

It's hilarious.

Donald J Trump

Seriously - look at his stuff in Art of the Deal - it's all there - every tactic and play. And the MSM fall straight into his trap.

As Sherlock said, "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"

He didn't get this far and control the supposed media pundits and experts like this by accident.

If one stops assuming he's an idiot - who happens to have become a billionaire with a 14yr run as a reality star and now POTUS Elect - it all makes sense. Dump the prejudice and look at the evidence.

It's gobsmackingly obviously to me and has been for many months. Confirmation bias is a hugely strong pull for everyone - however Trump has shown a dozens times or more that he's playing a superior game - be it ground war, passion, policy, killing opponents off, driving the media narrative...
  • Options

DavidL said:

A ) who would that be?

Why would Jarvis even run against Corbyn? He'd never be able to win.
  • Options

For those interested, a piece from me on how the Tories should invest some of that capital in today's poll for a longer-term dividend:

http://www.totalpolitics.com/articles/opinion/david-herdson-time-right-income-tax-hike

A well-argued piece. And yes, it would be a brave move, but one perhaps made easier by Labour's ineffective opposition, especially as it somewhat tramples over their ground. Where would the opposition in parliament for the move come from? The SNP? UKIP?
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

Yes and mysteriously there won't be enough resources to keep the offices open in minority precincts...
    Sanctuary cities especially.
  • Options

DavidL said:

A ) who would that be?

Jarvis looks good on paper, but every time I've heard him speak, e.g. yesterday on immigration, he's been incredibly anodyne & uninspiring.
    Not that that wouldn't necessarily be an improvement on Corbyn electorally of course.
    It is the situation the Tories found themselves in late 2003. We knew winning power at GE2005 was a not happening, but we knew could use a goodish result in 2005 to win power back in 2010.

So IDS had to be toppled, even if his replacement had something of the night about him*. Had the Tories not gained those 30 odd seats in 2005, then in 2010 a Labour/Lib Dem coalition would been in power in 2010.

The UK would be a very different place today.

*Ann Widdecombe was misquoted, she was praising Michael Howard's chivalry, and said he has something of the Knight about him.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

PlatoSaid said:

It's hilarious.

Donald J Trump

Seriously - look at his stuff in Art of the Deal - it's all there - every tactic and play. And the MSM fall straight into his trap.

As Sherlock said, "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"

He didn't get this far and control the supposed media pundits and experts like this by accident.

If one stops assuming he's an idiot - who happens to have become a billionaire with a 14yr run as a reality star and now POTUS Elect - it all makes sense. Dump the prejudice and look at the evidence.

It's gobsmackingly obviously to me and has been for many months. Confirmation bias is a hugely strong pull for everyone - however Trump has shown a dozens times or more that he's playing a superior game - be it ground war, passion, policy, killing opponents off, driving the media narrative...
    The question is not how he won; the question is whether the will be a good leader to America. Nothing you have spammed the site with points towards him being a success as president.

So, care to tell us why you think he'll be a successful president?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

PlatoSaid said:

It's hilarious.

Donald J Trump

The most chilling aspect of that tweet is Trump's inference that the stripping of citizenship is a punishment equivalent to a year in prison. Followed though, that would lead to a lot of non-people.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

A ) who would that be?

My scenario is if Corbyn either stands down or is somehow unavailable.
  • Options

DavidL said:

A ) who would that be?

Jarvis as Labour leader requires the Labour membership to have a Damascene conversion on the defence of the realm.... Submarines with missiles in, stuff like that.

He might also have to take a much harder line on those who have sympathies with those who do not support our national interest. Indeed, those who would actively seek to undermine it. I would suggest there is a far larger proportion of people who sympathise with such people within Labour's membership than exists in the pool of floating voters in the UK....
  • Options
    !
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,221

Had the Tories not gained those 30 odd seats in 2005, then in 2010 a Labour/Lib Dem coalition would been in power in 2010.

Assuming you're right about Howard making the difference in 2005 (I'm not sure I agree with that), Brown might have gone for an election in 2007.
  • Options

That's, umm, brave, as Sir Humphrey might once have said.

Given the polling numbers and the completely ineffective opposition, would a Conservative government not be better off spending the limited political capital on addressing spending in the largest departments, rather than increasing taxes?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

PlatoSaid said:

It's hilarious.

Donald J Trump

The question is not how he won; the question is whether the will be a good leader to America. Nothing you have spammed the site with points towards him being a success as president.

For "spammed the site", read "tried to lead the wilfully blind to see what was going on in America"....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,283

!

Secret footage of his pitch for the job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhJQp-q1Y1s
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rkrkrk said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

I'm not following your logic here. Can you clarify?

IIRC, Sanctuary Cities are places where illegal immigrants can report crimes without fear of ICE agents turning up to deport them.

Trump isn't advocating changing that as he wants to get rid of illegal criminals first - and a long way ahead of everyone else [who still didn't follow the law]. The Mayors of places like Chicago are however going down another ideological route that any illegal immigrant will be offered sanctuary de facto - akin to hiding in a church here, but covering an entire city area.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

A ) who would that be?

If Corbyn stands down then McIRA wins.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Had the Tories not gained those 30 odd seats in 2005, then in 2010 a Labour/Lib Dem coalition would been in power in 2010.

Assuming you're right about Howard making the difference in 2005 (I'm not sure I agree with that), Brown might have gone for an election in 2007.
    Howard made a difference in that he wasn't IDS, with IDS as leader, I'm sure the Tories would have lost net seats at GE2005.

Re 2007, yes you're right, without Howard becoming leader, he would not have given Cameron the patronage to help him become leader.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

A ) who would that be?

He doesn't, when YouGov polled it, IIRC he only got 12% of the Corbyn votes, when the question was if Corbyn wasn't standing.

Remember, as it stands, it would be very unlikely that McDonnell or any hard left candidate would get enough nominations to stand as leader.

Labour MPs won't be giving out any sympathy nominations this time!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Given the polling numbers and the completely ineffective opposition, would a Conservative government not be better off spending the limited political capital on addressing spending in the largest departments, rather than increasing taxes?
    Agreed, it doesn't even address the problem. If the problem is the deficit ballooning from [projected] £21bn to £68bn then a £10bn tax hike doesn't close the gap. Even assuming that a tax hike raises the projected amount of taxes rather than seeing investment, aspiration etc driven off.

To eliminate the deficit based on those numbers would require a 14 pence per pound increase in income tax. I think that would devastate the economy personally.
  • Options

David I don't the UK economy's basic problem is that it is undertaxed! We are, despite the rhetoric, still overspending. I'd recommend we reconvene when DFiD and a few quangos have been taken behind the woodshed to have a more sensible tax vs spend conversation.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

rkrkrk said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

IIRC, Sanctuary Cities are places where illegal immigrants can report crimes without fear of ICE agents turning up to deport them.

Trump isn't advocating changing that as he wants to get rid of illegal criminals first - and a long way ahead of everyone else [who still didn't follow the law]. The Mayors of places like Chicago are however going down another ideological route that any illegal immigrant will be offered sanctuary de facto - akin to hiding in a church here, but covering an entire city area.
    Well the point is that Trump is said to be considering defunding federal programmes for cities that have sanctuary laws. Unsurprisingly most of these cities are poor Democratic controlled ones with high minority proportions who would be disproportionately affected. Not that I don't support the policy. Sanctuary laws are awful and need to be binned.
  • Options

And, as always, do remember to buy an '...overall exceptional novel' for less than the cost of bus fare:

PlatoSaid said:

It's hilarious.

Donald J Trump

Should they resist it? it is a news story... President elect says x and it is controversial...

It sure would be nice though if they followed it with a rider saying "warning this man lies so frequently that it's best to disbelieve what he says until proven true"...
  • Options

DavidL said:

A ) who would that be?

It is the situation the Tories found themselves in late 2003. We knew winning power at GE2005 was a not happening, but we knew could use a goodish result in 2005 to win power back in 2010.

So IDS had to be toppled, even if his replacement had something of the night about him. Had the Tories not gained those 30 odd seats in 2005, then in 2010 a Labour/Lib Dem coalition would been in power in 2010.

Had IDS not been toppled, Cameron would very probably not have won the leadership given that Howard propelled him forward. In all probability, David Davis would have become leader and while the UK would be a different place from that which it is today, I think it would have set off down quite a different path well before 2010.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

A ) who would that be?

He doesn't, when YouGov polled it, IIRC he only got 12% of the Corbyn votes, when the question was if Corbyn wasn't standing.

Remember, as it stands, it would be very unlikely that McDonnell or any hard left candidate would get enough nominations to stand as leader.

Labour MPs won't be giving out any sympathy nominations this time!
    Corbyn has a personal appeal. Labour members trust him and see him as honest. John McDonnell doesn't (is my sense)
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

PlatoSaid said:

It's hilarious.

Donald J Trump

For "spammed the site", read "tried to lead the wilfully blind to see what was going on in America"....
    No, spamming the site, especially with stuff it was clear she hadn't read herself. And as it looks as though Clinton won the most votes, "what was going on in America" is not as clear as she thought.

Still, she's obviously an oracle, as PM Leadsom can attest. ;)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

PlatoSaid said:

It's hilarious.

Donald J Trump

Stop being a jerk
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

DavidL said:

A ) who would that be?

So IDS had to be toppled, even if his replacement had something of the night about him. Had the Tories not gained those 30 odd seats in 2005, then in 2010 a Labour/Lib Dem coalition would been in power in 2010.

A far better place.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028
    "Presidential Donald" didn't even make it to 19th December I see :D
  • Options
    Patrick said:

David I don't the UK economy's basic problem is that it is undertaxed! We are, despite the rhetoric, still overspending. I'd recommend we reconvene when DFiD and a few quangos have been taken behind the woodshed to have a more sensible tax vs spend conversation.
    There is scope to cut DFID, though that would break an election promise (albeit one that few likely Con voters care about) - but it'd still be trimming at the edges. In reality, for what the electorate wants from public services, I'd say that yes, it is undertaxed: that's why there's a deficit.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

PlatoSaid said:

It's hilarious.

Donald J Trump

No, spamming the site, especially with stuff it was clear she hadn't read herself. And as it looks as though Clinton won the most votes, "what was going on in America" is not as clear as she thought.

Still, she's obviously an oracle, as PM Leadsom can attest. ;)
    And yet Plato tapped into the American psyche a lot better than the rest of us, especially in the "blue" flyover states that delivered the Trump victory. She's been right more often than you this year, I think it's time to put up or shut up.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

PlatoSaid said:

It's hilarious.

Donald J Trump

The most chilling aspect of that tweet is Trump's inference that the stripping of citizenship is a punishment equivalent to a year in prison. Followed though, that would lead to a lot of non-people.
    And if one looks as the 'taking it seriously, not literally' aspect - your point dissolves.

I'm getting to the point where explaining this repeatedly is just pointless. I've been at it for months and roundly rubbished - and still the prevailing attitude is that Trump is an idiot. When someone was right, does the groupthink of such a supposedly sophisticated readership stop and think? Like Hell it does. It carries on with it's blue blanket, rather than inspect itself.

What's the evidence that Trump is an idiot? I'm not seeing anything bar a load of prejudice masquerading as Acceptable Viewpoint amongst the vast majority of PBers reinforcing itself.

Urgh. I'm bored of trying to help others who haven't spent hundreds of hours trying to understand it. They aren't listening.
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    Ladbrokes odds narrowing slightly.Lib Dems now 15/8 (from 2.1 Zac now 2/5 from 4/11
  • Options

DavidL said:

A ) who would that be?

So IDS had to be toppled, even if his replacement had something of the night about him*. Had the Tories not gained those 30 odd seats in 2005, then in 2010 a Labour/Lib Dem coalition would been in power in 2010.

*Ann Widdecombe was misquoted, she was praising Michael Howard's chivalry, and said he has something of the Knight about him.
    That is the official version of history but IDS's Tories were actually doing well at the ballot box, and there was no boost from Michael Howard. A less kind way of putting it is that Tory backbenchers panicked when IDS got flattened at PMQs each Wednesday.
  • Options

Patrick said:

There is scope to cut DFID, though that would break an election promise (albeit one that few likely Con voters care about) - but it'd still be trimming at the edges. In reality, for what the electorate wants from public services, I'd say that yes, it is undertaxed: that's why there's a deficit.
    Wouldn't it be possible to class any single market fees for the EU as international aid? Especially given that most of the money goes into the solidarity fund for poorer regions in Europe. Once we're out of the CAP any money paid to the EU would surely be used for development funding, which is aid by any other name. Kills two birds with one stone IMO. The ais budget is too big and the country expects savings from leaving.
  • Options

Did you miss the part about "Simply re-running a referendum again and again until you get the result you want is certainly undemocratic", or did you just choose to ignore it because it spoilt your point?

No, I think the calls for a second referendum are simply de facto reruns with a coat of paint, I don't buy the "we must consult the people about the preferred outcome" BS.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

rkrkrk said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

pla

Well the point is that Trump is said to be considering defunding federal programmes for cities that have sanctuary laws. Unsurprisingly most of these cities are poor Democratic controlled ones with high minority proportions who would be disproportionately affected. Not that I don't support the policy. Sanctuary laws are awful and need to be binned.
    He's threatening places like Chicago re federal money because they're refusing to help State and Fed law enforcement officers from arresting criminals. It's a negotiation tactic. We all know that.

I approve of it entirely.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

No. The largest spending items are pensions, benefits and health. I think we're reaching a point on all benefits and health where they can't be cut / restrained much further. There is of course plenty of theoretical scope to cut pensions but it's not going to happen for political reasons.

I'm sceptical about the 'choking off growth' arguments (for a 2p rise anyway). Previous cuts in Income Tax don't look to have done much to boost growth in the quarters following their implementation.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

And yet Plato tapped into the American psyche a lot better than the rest of us, especially in the "blue" flyover states that delivered the Trump victory. She's been right more often than you this year, I think it's time to put up or shut up.

"And yet Plato tapped into the American psyche a lot better than the rest of us, especially in the "blue" flyover states that delivered the Trump victory. "

How, pray, do you think she did that? By reading, thinking, and applying intelligence, or just following a few alt-right websites and spamming their contents without reading?

Now she's creating strawmen in every post to knock down.

Perhaps you ought to follow the advice you give in your last line.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,221
    I was only 18 at the time of the 2005 election so I didn't follow it all that closely, but to what extent were the Tories helped by the Lib Dems going from 18.8% of the vote to 22.7%? Did they take votes off the Tories while the Tories took votes off of Labour? Or did Labour to Lib Dem switchers help the Tories gain a few seats? If the latter happened I'd suggest that was in spite of Howard rather than because of him.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Davies is a prat. Amusing deflection by Hammond
  • Options

DavidL said:

I

e.
    ?
    n.

That is the official version of history but IDS's Tories were actually doing well at the ballot box, and there was no boost from Michael Howard. A less kind way of putting it is that Tory backbenchers panicked when IDS got flattened at PMQs each Wednesday.
    Nah, remember the Brent byelection.

One of the reasons less spoken about toppling IDS, the Tories thought the soon to be published Hutton report would give them enough ammo to topple Blair. They knew IDS wasn't up to the job, but they needed an eminent QC to do the job, step forward Michael Howard QC
  • Options
    Charles said:

His shilling for my industry is excruciating.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Yeah the assumption that a new Labour leader will be better than the last seems dubious to me. Won't the hordes of Corbynites replace him with someone similar or worse?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

PlatoSaid said:

It's hilarious.

Donald J Trump

The more those who disapprove of me insult me for being right, the less credibility they accrue.

I don't mind. Their self-righteousness means nothing when they've lost the argument in a cultural war, as well as a political one.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

"And yet Plato tapped into the American psyche a lot better than the rest of us, especially in the "blue" flyover states that delivered the Trump victory. "

How, pray, do you think she did that? By reading, thinking, and applying intelligence, or just following a few alt-right websites and spamming their contents without reading?

Whatever it was, she understands how ignored Americans feel a lot better than you or I. You're just bitter that she was proved right after you tried so hard to discredit her before the election and have stupidly continued to since Trump won exactly where Plato was pointing out he would win for months.

As I said, it's put up or shut up time. I don't know what kind of President Mr Trump will be, but I'm not going to be blindsided in the same manner again, if posters can give me insight into a situation I find difficult to understand then I don't particularly want them silenced by bitter people.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Charles said:

His shilling for my industry is excruciating.
    David Herdson has a lot to answer for :lol:

I mean David, why didn't you blackball him when you had the chance and spare all us from him becoming an MP?
  • Options
    The most profitable ongoing anomaly in Betfair history continues for another year...

Test matches, stakes of £100; NB {fav, 2fav, dog} includes the draw as one of the options.
    https://twitter.com/FrogCrunchy/status/803581624852029440
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

PlatoSaid said:

It's hilarious.

Donald J Trump

Should they resist it? it is a news story... President elect says x and it is controversial...

It sure would be nice though if they followed it with a rider saying "warning this man lies so frequently that it's best to disbelieve what he says until proven true"...
    They should act like grown-ups and not react to every tweet like it was some proclamation of literal intent.

He's been playing them for years and they still can't resist. It's beyond stupid Pavlovian Dog response. I can forgive some less knowledgable PBers falling for it - but news anchors in the US need a slap.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028

The most profitable ongoing anomaly in Betfair history continues for another year...

Test matches, stakes of £100; NB {fav, 2fav, dog} includes the draw as one of the options.

Is that £100 liability or potential profit on the draw ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Is that £100 liability or potential profit on the draw ?
    Think it's to win £100
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PaulBrandITV: French ambassador's spokesperson: "The UK cannot pick and choose when it comes to European policy, keeping only the ones it can profit from"
  • Options

That's an amazing stat, and something the PB cricket fans brain trust profitably picked up on some years ago.

When following a Test for five days, it's now pretty difficult to end up losing money on Betfair - but someone obviously must be!
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

PlatoSaid said:

It's hilarious.

Donald J Trump

would the supreme court allow such a law anyway? Wouldn't flag burning come under first amendment rigths?
  • Options
    The broadcast media has continued with a daily anti Brexit and Government onslaught for months but still today's poll gives a 16% conservative lead. I do not support UKIP at all but I do think Paul Nuttall will devastate labour in their heartlands with his scouse accent and appeal to the WWC vote.

Boulton said on Sky this morning that a poll showed that 65% dismiss the opinion of the MSM and it does make you think that they do need to re-calibrate their reporting if they want to be listened to at all
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Peston: Malta PM reiterates all EU government heads agree that Brexit deal must be worse for Britain than current EU membership
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Whatever it was, she understands how ignored Americans feel a lot better than you or I. You're just bitter that she was proved right after you tried so hard to discredit her before the election and have stupidly continued to since Trump won exactly where Plato was pointing out he would win for months.

As I said, it's put up or shut up time. I don't know what kind of President Mr Trump will be, but I'm not going to be blindsided in the same manner again, if posters can give me insight into a situation I find difficult to understand then I don't particularly want them silenced by bitter people.
    "Whatever it was, she understands how ignored Americans feel a lot better than you or I."

No, she doesn't. Picking a side and spamming about it does not imply knowledge or understanding.

"You're just bitter that she was proved right "

No. I think it's dangerous to take her as some form of sage when she hasn't shown any intelligence with her view. There was no insight, because often her spammed links did not back up the two or three word conclusion she'd give. She did the same over Leadsom.

You know computers, so you know the concept of GIGO. I'd say it applies in the case of her posts about the election.

I'm not bitter; far from, in fact. I haven't blocked anyone, and will continue to give my point of view on things. And I have no intention of silencing Plato, even if she blocks me and other who dare to give a contrary view.

As it happens, I find her jump to the right since the 2015 election funny. Then she was a Cameoronite, fighting for a Conservative victory. Now she's a UKIP donor and devout admirer of the alt-right. Quite a shift.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    ICM in recent months has moved to Online polling , so care needs to be taken when making comparisons with its former telephone polls.ICM has had a tendency to understate Labour – even in 1997 it was the only pollster to give Labour a smaller lead than reflectef in the actual outcome. A few commentators also have suggested that they – together with other pollsters – may have overadjusted for their 2015 polling debacle.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,283

I do think Paul Nuttall will devastate labour in their heartlands with his scouse accent

LOL!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

ICM in recent months has moved to Online polling , so care needs to be taken when making comparisons with its former telephone polls.ICM has had a tendency to understate Labour – even in 1997 it was the only pollster to give Labour a smaller lead than reflectef in the actual outcome. A few commentators also have suggested that they – together with other pollsters – may have overadjusted for their 2015 polling debacle.

Who are these commentators and can you provide links please ?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I was only 18 at the time of the 2005 election so I didn't follow it all that closely, but to what extent were the Tories helped by the Lib Dems going from 18.8% of the vote to 22.7%? Did they take votes off the Tories while the Tories took votes off of Labour? Or did Labour to Lib Dem switchers help the Tories gain a few seats? If the latter happened I'd suggest that was in spite of Howard rather than because of him.

The latter happened.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@PaulBrandITV: French ambassador's spokesperson: "The UK cannot pick and choose when it comes to European policy, keeping only the ones it can profit from"

There is nothing surprising in that comment which has been repeated by many in the EU since Brexit.

Any deal is a compromise and a way will be found that works for both sides in due course but we need to get on with it
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Hear that? The sound of the world's tiniest straw being squeezed to death.....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Peston: Malta PM reiterates all EU government heads agree that Brexit deal must be worse for Britain than current EU membership

Given that no deal at all would still be better than current EU membership that strikes me as a deluded statement.
  • Options
    nunu said:

rkrkrk said:

PlatoSaid said:

It's hilarious.

Donald J Trump

would the supreme court allow such a law anyway? Wouldn't flag burning come under first amendment rigths?
    Most likely you're right, probably comes under free speech. The media in the US are being played massively by Trump, they're dancing along to his tune as they have done pretty much every day for the past eighteen months. It's hillarious to watch, especially as they appear not to have noticed the game they're playing.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,671
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Ha! The double standard naked for all to see.

How is it a double standard? UKIP campaigning to ignore a Remain result and Leave anyway would be the equivalent.
    UKIP campaigning for leave was precisely what he said.
    Not on the basis of a lost referendum, on the basis of having another one.
  • Options

I do think Paul Nuttall will devastate labour in their heartlands with his scouse accent

LOL!
    Selective quote - I said 'scouse accent and appeal to the WWC vote'
  • Options

The fact that nobody is actually finding these people in reality suggests illegal immigrants aren't voting on any scale, which is obvious since it would be a felony committed in broad daylight.

You'd have to be a pretty stupid illegal immigrant [which - as a rule - they're not] to go and vote. Especially in California.

But there are plenty who are voting without educational qualifications or property ownership...
    Saw in one of the debates that some illegal immigrants actually pay federal income taxes, which is interesting.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

More of the same narrative from the EU and it is getting tedious
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Given that no deal at all would still be better than current EU membership that strikes me as a deluded statement.
    So lets just trigger Article 50 - and put no Brussels meetings in the diary. We'll go with WTO guys.

The let's see who blinks first.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Patrick said:

Wouldn't it be possible to class any single market fees for the EU as international aid? Especially given that most of the money goes into the solidarity fund for poorer regions in Europe. Once we're out of the CAP any money paid to the EU would surely be used for development funding, which is aid by any other name. Kills two birds with one stone IMO. The ais budget is too big and the country expects savings from leaving.
    Agreed. A great idea from whoever first suggested it on here.

• Options

"Whatever it was, she understands how ignored Americans feel a lot better than you or I."

No, she doesn't. Picking a side and spamming about it does not imply knowledge or understanding.

"You're just bitter that she was proved right "

No. I think it's dangerous to take her as some form of sage when she hasn't shown any intelligence with her view. There was no insight, because often her spammed links did not back up the two or three word conclusion she'd give. She did the same over Leadsom.

You know computers, so you know the concept of GIGO. I'd say it applies in the case of her posts about the election.

I'm not bitter; far from, in fact. I haven't blocked anyone, and will continue to give my point of view on things. And I have no intention of silencing Plato, even if she blocks me and other who dare to give a contrary view.

As it happens, I find her jump to the right since the 2015 election funny. Then she was a Cameoronite, fighting for a Conservative victory. Now she's a UKIP donor and devout admirer of the alt-right. Quite a shift.

Plato posted exactly why she thought Trump would win and exactly how Trump's missteps were playing in middle America. Everyone else dismissed it and in the old world of betting shops most of us woild have been properly buggered. It's only because we know how to interpret early results on PB that most of us came out on top for the night.

Which is what this all boils down to, betting. You've constantly been shitting on Plato since Trump won and it has been quite personal in some cases, if we have someone here with better insight into a situation we have a lesser understanding of then we shouldn't seek to silence them as you are clearly attempting to do, despite protestations of the opposite.

Whatever her political journey may be, it is irrelevant to me. No offence to Plato, it's just her personal choice who to vote for and donate to, I'm not going judge her on anything so trivial.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

We could have a deal where we no longer enjoy the expert advice of the EU Commission and instead have to think for ourselves. A worse deal in the eyes of the EU?
This discussion has been closed.