Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With five days to go a Corbyn boost for the Lib Dems in Richmo

124»

Comments

• Options
    daodao said:

Already this morning we've seen Angela Merkel compared with Robert Mugabe and Remainers called quislings. All in a day's work for the WTW Leavers.

You seem a little miffed that your own output is being overtaken?
    If you think that Angela Merkel is comparable to a brutal dictator, you are deranged.

If you think that wanting Britain to remain in the EU is comparable to being a treacherous Nazi sympathiser, you are deranged.

Sadly, it is apparent that many Leavers sincerely believe this lunacy.
    The current German agenda is to achieve by peaceful means via the EU what the militarism of the German imperialists and the brutality of the Nazis failed to achieve on a permanent basis, namely a Großdeutsches Reich from Brest (-Litewsk) to Brest (Llydaw).

The majority of the British people didn't want to be ruled from Berlin in 1914 or 1939, and the Brexit vote was heavily influenced by those who remembered, or whose parents recalled, these previous eras. The death of the "German" Empress Victoria in 1901 and the Entente Cordiale of 1904 led to a radical re-alignment of the previous pro-German British foreign policy dating back to the days of Louis XIV of France.
    Bit early in the day to be foaming isn't it? (unless you're shaving, though I doubt that in your case).
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,053
    daodao said:

kjohnw said:

This is why any recount in Pennsylvania is a waste of time the voting machines are so antiquated they aren't even hooked up to the internet there is no way 70000 votes lead for trump will be overturned . Stein is wasting everyones time.
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/cdn.relaymedia.com/amp/billypenn.com/2016/11/23/a-pennsylvania-recount-for-hillary-clinton-a-nightmare-scenario-explained/?client=safari

Rubbish; in fact, I'd say bullsh*t. Regardless of whether you supported Trump or Clinton, you should be applauding these recounts.

I wish people would just use a little intelligence on this. The Internet is just one potential attack vector for the machines; there are plenty of others. Yet the companies who create the machines, and the people who order them, seem not to care.

Think about that for a minute: these machines are not fit for purpose yet they are used.
    As was shown yesterday, the Michigan machines are relatively easy to reprogram (your hardest problem if you have access to the machines might be finding a laptop with a serial port, or a USB<->Serial dongle that works).

As an example, at least one PA state uses the Sequoia AVC Advantage®, by the company that was behind the infamous 'hanging chad' controversy because they knowingly supplied poor-quality punched cards. They also tried to take computer scientists to court when they were sent machines to perform a security audit on.

Just read the following and work out the myriad of attack vectors (and they can be attacked via the Internet; the cartridges have modems):
    https://www.verifiedvoting.org/resources/voting-equipment/sequoia/avc-advantage/

So not only is the article you linked to wrong, it is blind, dumb and stupid. A bit like the people who chose to use such systems; though that is giving them credit - the worry is that they know what they were doing and did so because the systems can be gamed.
    It is most unwise for Jill Stein to be leading this call for a recount.

She should know when to keep shtum.
    Care to elaborate?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,129
    edited November 2016

Of course it doesn't go over my head. Nincompoop.

Don't be hard on yourself. You're not a nincompoop, even if you sometimes act like one. ;)
    For those that were worried the world's supplies of patronising guff might be running low, they can take heart from your postings today....
    LOL. I'm trying to make some serious points, and you're trolling them. Why not try to add something meaningful to the conversation?
    My meaningful contribution was that democracy in the US is entrusted to some really, really shite mechanics, that is open to abuse by any group of smart people inclined to abuse it. On any side of the political divide. I wouldn't be overly surprised to find that the result of the 2016 Presidential election was influenced more by a group of hackers in some Red Square basement than by the voters of Wisconsin, but if so, America only has itself to blame.

As I stated on here several times that I had a gut feeling the result in Michigan might be the one we were looking at on the day after the election, I was at least in the right ball-park of where the election was going to be decided. Or maybe that is just because I am a colonel in the KGB....

• Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

unionists getting really desperate when they are talking nice about Germany.
    As desperate as Nats contradicting the SNP government on 'who will pay Scottish Pensions'?
    There is no such thing as a "Scottish Pension"
    But there would be in an Independent Scotland - and the Scottish Government would pay it (don't take my word for it, its what the SNP Scottish government says) - despite the latest wheeze by some zoomers about 'how Independence would be great, really, coz the UK is going to pay for our pensions (otherwise the sums don't work...)'
    You halfwit , of course they would pay "Scottish Pensions" that were accrued in an independent Scotland but they would not pay UK pensions.
    Pensions don't 'accrue' - they are paid out of current revenue - so there are no 'pensions accrued in the UK' for the Scottish Government to pay to Scottish Pensioners. Looks like its both wits & pensions you'll be short of....
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    FF43 said:

Jonathan said:

Farages Britain would be much like Cuba. Isolated, stuck in the 50s and lots of cigars.

Funny and not totally untrue.
    Plus Cuba had healthcare and education for all, with better health outcomes than all but a select group of developed countries.

I don't think a Farage Britain would be so egalitarian.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    CD13 said:

There probably would be some homophobic abuse from football crowds if players came out. You have to remember they regard themselves as the extra man for the team. Any perceived weakness in opposition players will be ruthlessly seized upon - personal, mental or physical.

In other sports, there's not the same level of adversarial competition.

As with racist chanting, it would eventually die off.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mt Topping,

"Rock groups"

Surely not, I'm sure the roadies would demand the Groupies' birth certificates and other ID before being allowed near them.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,337
    I can now say thank goodness Buttler was in the team but this is surely a poor performance from England. You bat first in India you score. That is the way it is supposed to work.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

So what is it that differentiates the current sexual abuse scandal in football from that in, say, Rotherham? That one had rightwingers passionate about the protection of children and the failures of the authorities, but this one doesn't seem to worry them so much. I don't know, could someone explain what the difference might be?

Sorry Alastair, I didn't realise there was a requirement for us to signal our virtue in a prompt manner. Let's put that right.

I fear what's gone on in football is the tip of the iceberg. I doubt it's confined to football either. The reason why Rotherham is so toxic is that girls went to the authorities and were ignored and the suspicion is that this was because people wanted to protect Asian men. That doesn't make their crimes worse than other paedophiles, but the anger is directed at the authorities for not acting when they knew what was going on.

Whether kids went to the authorities with information about what was going on at Crewe and possibly other clubs is not known. However, as with Saville at the BBC, I bet people knew. The fact that Crewe sacked this man without explanation would suggest they knew what had gone on. Crewe's academy is very famous and it will be very sad if the Dario Gradi years are tarred by this scandal. However, the truth needs to come out and hopefully other victims come forward.
    When you look at tbe players who came through the Crewe Alexandra youth system there are some vey well known names. Crewe got rid, but seemto have not found enough evidence to prosecute.

Sports teams, theatre groups, model agencies etc are going to be where paedophiles groom their targets, now that more formal agencies tighten procedures.
    Modelling agencies will turn out to be a huge scandal just like football is about to be. 13-18 year old aspiring models vs a 50 year old photographer.
    Rock groups?
    Sort of different, but I dread to think how many underage girls have sent those one direction lads sexual pictures on twitter.

With modelling agencies it will be more a case of grooming and abusing a position of power which is arguably worse.
    I suppose rock gods are in self-appointed positions of power but yes it is the institutional abuse of a nominal position of trust which is the more egregious.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,866

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Football is properly murky with a massive culture of secrecy (Look at how many gay footballers there are about publicly) - even boxing and rugby are better.

It is very little surprise to me that rampant child abuse could go on in such a festering culture.

On the topic of a lack of openly gay footballers, it really angers me that it is the fans who get the blame. Would a player get abuse from the stands if they came out? Perhaps, but I think it's far from certain. I suspect the attitude of the changing room is what prevents it. You only have to hear what Antonio Cassano said when he was asked if he thought there were any gay players in the Italy squad at Euro 2012 - "I hope not."
    I think it's pretty certain a gay player would get some abuse from the stands, but I suspect it woukd be far less than sone think. You'll never get rid of idiots 100%, but even as Neanderthal as the stereotype of the terraces is, I find it hard to see that many woukd care, they want the team to do well, who cares what else the players getbuo to personally.
    But the opposing fans wouldn't. And even then, home fans can be brutal.

An old mate of mine was a Millwall Fan; he was educated, with a good (lefty) job and a degree. At the time their goalkeeper was Kasey Keller. He said it was fine to use a racist term against a black player because they also called Keller "A Yank *****"
    I was including that sort of thing within the idiots you cannot erase. Home fans barracking a player doing poorly, or away fans trying to find a way to unsettle, they would target a gay player for being gay, undoubtedly. It woukd still probably be less than feared, racism is an issue but not as much as it was and when it emerges everyone knows it would be cracked down on, which tempers it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,129
    CD13 said:

There probably would be some homophobic abuse from football crowds if players came out. You have to remember they regard themselves as the extra man for the team. Any perceived weakness in opposition players will be ruthlessly seized upon - personal, mental or physical.

I have a feeling there might be some very poor taste chants at football grounds this weekend.

Very funny, but very poor taste.
  • Options
    Feck me!

Anecdotes about Millwall. When I was a TPS for Mitsubishi in the City (1999) I was amused that one of the most respected members of the in-house team - who was Japanese - was an avid Lions supporter. Then, sixteen-years earlier most Afro-Carribean supporters I went to school with were happy to "Seig-Heil" at the Den.

:anecdotes-hey:
  • Options

NEW AV THREAD

• Options
    tlg86 said:

An old mate of mine was a Millwall Fan

That's where you went wrong.
    LOL. :)

The only football match I've ever been to was a Millwall-Derby game; I think in '94. He'd got me a free ticket, so there was I, a boy born just a few miles south of Derby, in the Millwall end at an important game against Derby.

Fortunately the rest of the crowd immediately around us knew me, but there was a certain amount of light-hearted, friendly joshing. As it happens, we left after the (I think third) pitch invasion.

To make matters worse, it was a scoreless draw.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited November 2016
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Football is properly murky with a massive culture of secrecy (Look at how many gay footballers there are about publicly) - even boxing and rugby are better.

It is very little surprise to me that rampant child abuse could go on in such a festering culture.

On the topic of a lack of openly gay footballers, it really angers me that it is the fans who get the blame. Would a player get abuse from the stands if they came out? Perhaps, but I think it's far from certain. I suspect the attitude of the changing room is what prevents it. You only have to hear what Antonio Cassano said when he was asked if he thought there were any gay players in the Italy squad at Euro 2012 - "I hope not."
    At tbe Kop end at Leicester there has been a Rainbow Foxes flag for years amongst the others on display. Not only has there been no homophobia about it, there have been no remarks about it at all. The closest that I can recall to any interest in the sexuality of footballers was when part of the crowd were singing at Brighton "Does your boyfriend know you are here?", more teasing banter than anything derogatory in my opinion.

I think players coming out would get quite a positive reception by crowds. In my experience football crowds and similar WWC millieu are nowhere near as "socially conservative" as some right wing PBers seem to think.

• Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

I think it's pretty certain a gay player would get some abuse from the stands, but I suspect it woukd be far less than sone think. You'll never get rid of idiots 100%, but even as Neanderthal as the stereotype of the terraces is, I find it hard to see that many woukd care, they want the team to do well, who cares what else the players getbuo to personally.

An old mate of mine was a Millwall Fan; he was educated, with a good (lefty) job and a degree. At the time their goalkeeper was Kasey Keller. He said it was fine to use a racist term against a black player because they also called Keller "A Yank *****"
    I was including that sort of thing within the idiots you cannot erase. Home fans barracking a player doing poorly, or away fans trying to find a way to unsettle, they would target a gay player for being gay, undoubtedly. It woukd still probably be less than feared, racism is an issue but not as much as it was and when it emerges everyone knows it would be cracked down on, which tempers it.
    I hope (and think) you're right, nowadays. Twenty years ago when some of these cases happened, it might have been different.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

And that's the answer. Points deductions, matches played to closed stadiums, hefty fines. And ultimately, if a club cannot will not behave, relegation and expulsion. Racist chanting and football-related violence have been successfully cracked down on. The problems aren't extinct but they're nothing like what they were in the 1980s. Other problems could be tackled too were there the will.
  • Options

Of course it doesn't go over my head. Nincompoop.

Don't be hard on yourself. You're not a nincompoop, even if you sometimes act like one. ;)
    For those that were worried the world's supplies of patronising guff might be running low, they can take heart from your postings today....
    LOL. I'm trying to make some serious points, and you're trolling them. Why not try to add something meaningful to the conversation?
    My meaningful contribution was that democracy in the US is entrusted to some really, really shite mechanics, that is open to abuse by any group of smart people inclined to abuse it. On any side of the political divide. I wouldn't be overly surprised to find that the result of the 2016 Presidential election was influenced more by a group of hackers in some Red Square basement than by the voters of Wisconsin, but if so, America only has itself to blame.

As I stated on here several times that I had a gut feeling the result in Michigan might be the one we were looking at on the day after the election, I was at least in the right ball-park of where the election was going to be decided. Or maybe that is just because I am a colonel in the KGB....
    And I'm a Major-General in the FSS (*). ;)

Anyway, it's a Saturday. Peace.

(*) If there ranks work like that...
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Nate Silver
    Not saying this Jill Stein thing is a scam, but if it were a scam, it would probably look a lot like this. https://t.co/pg4eAuFQ4h

Mediate
    Jill Stein Now Can’t ‘Guarantee’ Money Will Go to Recount, Changes $$$ Goal https://t.co/WUTU8VbyYr https://t.co/ptG9SMKBUo
  • Options

So what is it that differentiates the current sexual abuse scandal in football from that in, say, Rotherham? That one had rightwingers passionate about the protection of children and the failures of the authorities, but this one doesn't seem to worry them so much. I don't know, could someone explain what the difference might be?

Perhaps you can show where the police threatened people investigating the football abuse scandal in the same manner as they did in Rotherham:

‘ The Conservative MP Nicola Blackwood said the committee had heard evidence in private from the Home Office researcher that her 2002 report had been greeted with hostility by South Yorkshire police. She said they had heard evidence that the researcher had been contacted by two officers who threatened to pass her name to the groomers in Rotherham and she had been left in fear of her life.

The Liberal Democrat MP Julian Huppert suggested to the current South Yorkshire chief constable, David Crompton, that there had been an active conspiracy involving police officers and questioned how the public could now trust South Yorkshire police. ‘

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/sep/09/researcher-rotherham-abuse-feared-for-life-police-visit
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    CD13 said:

Or as many knuckle dragging supporters
  • Options
    Anyone remember this series:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Manageress

IIRC there was one episode where a sleazy first team player had been having sex with underage girls.

The families were paid off and it was hushed up.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

At tbe Kop end at Leicester there has been a Rainbow Foxes flag for years amongst the others on display. Not only has there been no homophobia about it, there have been no remarks about it at all. The closest that I can recall to any interest in the sexuality of footballers was when part of the crowd were singing at Brighton "Does your boyfriend know you are here?", more teasing banter than anything derogatory in my opinion.

I think players coming out would get quite a positive reception by crowds. In my experience football crowds and similar WWC millieu are nowhere near as "socially conservative" as some right wing PBers seem to think.

I sit very close to the Gay Gooners banner at the Emirates. I know a few people who are irked by it, because they don't see the relevance of sexuality in supporting Arsenal. They say "we can't have a Straight Gooners" banner.

I actually think part of the issue with there being no openly gay footballers is that someone will have to be the first* and put up with the all the media attention that would inevitably follow.

* I know they wouldn't be the first, but Justin Fashinu was a very long time ago now.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

unionists getting really desperate when they are talking nice about Germany.
    As desperate as Nats contradicting the SNP government on 'who will pay Scottish Pensions'?
    There is no such thing as a "Scottish Pension"
    But there would be in an Independent Scotland - and the Scottish Government would pay it (don't take my word for it, its what the SNP Scottish government says) - despite the latest wheeze by some zoomers about 'how Independence would be great, really, coz the UK is going to pay for our pensions (otherwise the sums don't work...)'
    You halfwit , of course they would pay "Scottish Pensions" that were accrued in an independent Scotland but they would not pay UK pensions.
    Pensions don't 'accrue' - they are paid out of current revenue - so there are no 'pensions accrued in the UK' for the Scottish Government to pay to Scottish Pensioners. Looks like its both wits & pensions you'll be short of....
    Dear Dear, no matter that Westminster squander the funding , they hav ethe obligation to py the UK pension just the same as if they banked teh contributions. I cannot believe you are as stupid as you make out , just being obtuse I suspect. If they transfer the liabilities when Scotland becomes independent then they will transfer teh funds/assets etc that go with it. So either it will be directly paid by teh UK or it will be funded by the UK as a lump sum upfront payment or an ongoing funds transfer. I doubt that the UK welching on its debt would sit well internationally , they are pariah enough with their current xenophobia without also being welchers.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Having been present at Bloomfield Park on one of Justin Fashanu's last appearances, during his short stint at Airdrie, I can confirm the abuse was pretty evident and from all parts of the ground. Twas rather sad, especially in retrospect.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203

Good morning all. News from Leeds Central - the revolution is on hold.

The revolution has been greatly overblown, by all sorts of interests.
This discussion has been closed.