Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How it could go wrong for LAB in South Shields: 2. Ukip ch

124»

Comments

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

The two are intertwined. The welfare system / payments enabled him to get into the position to commit the crime.

So, we abolish welfare because one evil childkiller abused the system, is that it? Or is a more reasoned response to say we need to get much, much tougher on those who abuse the system without penalising the vast majority who do not?

Where did I mention penalties? In your assumption and predetermined mind set.

Question: If benefits were limited would he have had 11 or however many children or did the system enable him to do it?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970
    philiph said:

The two are intertwined. The welfare system / payments enabled him to get into the position to commit the crime.

So, we abolish welfare because one evil childkiller abused the system, is that it? Or is a more reasoned response to say we need to get much, much tougher on those who abuse the system without penalising the vast majority who do not?

Question: If benefits were limited would he have had 11 or however many children or did the system enable him to do it?

He could quite easily have got multiple women pregnant whether there was a welfare system or not. It had no effect on his sperm count.

• Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651

DavidL said:

These figures essentially show why the country is bankrupt. When Tim points out for the next 100 times that the majority of those affected by housing benefit changes are "working" remember what this means.

What it means in many cases is that they are working more than 16 hours a week, that they pay little or no income tax and that their wage is then more than doubled by the tax payer. Put bluntly this "work" costs us a fortune.

The oft-repeated claim is that 93% of new housing benefit claimants are in work. But the word "new" distorts the picture considerably:

According to Factcheck, "What we can confirm from the DWP's statistics is that at least 18 per cent of Housing Benefit claimants are in employment , although this could be on either a full- or part-time basis. The DWP also concedes that, of the other claimants, some of them could well be working part-time too." http://fullfact.org/factchecks/one_in_eight_housing_benefit_claimants_unemployed-27479

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,314
    tim - I'm still waiting for your apology.

The tax credit numbers have now been confirmed by 4 separate sources - HMRC website, HMRC leaflet, HMRC calculator and The Times.

They have also been confirmed by Lucy and Mark Senior - and everyone on here knows the reliability and expertise of Mr Senior.

Have some courage. Try and just earn a tiny bit of respect.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Roger said:

The figures as quoted on CH4 News are a surprise. If a family of eleven without any visible means of support can earn £53,000 it explains something which has been puzzling me for some time. There are many religious families whose members run well into double figures who manage to live reasonably well without any visible bread winner. I always thought the welfare state only supported the first tree children.

I do think this is a gift for the Tories and I do wonder how this was ever allowed to get so out of hand. (Unless of course I'm missing something)

The number of benefit claimants with 8 or more children is I believe around 900 of which 180 have 10 or more . The number with 4 or more children is around just under 100,000 .

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @DPJHodges: Tories want lots of stories tomorrow that have the phrases "Mick Philpott", "Welfare", "Labour defends welfare". They're going to get them.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

@SouthamObserver

But they don't work full time SO. The table applies to couples who work 16 or more hours between them. One of Tim's valid points, also shown by the HMRC table, is that they suffer marginal tax rates of 70% until the benefit is withdrawn so, as MikeL says, increasing their salary by £20K makes them only about £5K better off. It is a valid point but it is also inevitable when people are really living on benefits, not on what they earn.

The incentive to work full time is therefore missing under the present system. That is certainly one of the areas that needs attention. The tax credits need to be less generous and then less severely tapered so there is a greater incentive for the recipient to earn more either by working longer or getting a better paying job.

They may well work full time.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,363
    edited April 2013
    philiph said:

I'm sorry, but I don't follow your logic at all. In what way did welfare payments enable him to get into a position to kill six children?
  • Options

philiph said:

He could quite easily have got multiple women pregnant whether there was a welfare system or not. It had no effect on his sperm count.

But with a different benefit system they would not have all lived with him creating his income. The system enabled his action.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,895
    This has nothing to do with child killers. I was watching Channel 4 News when Krishnan Guru-Murthy explained in simple terms how a family with eleven children legitimately get £53,000 from the state. The 'child murderer' was just a reason for giving that frankly gobsmacking fact.

I doubt many watching it weren't a little surprised and Labour would be well advised to forget Osborne and explain whether this is something they support and why.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited April 2013
    I am genuinely astonished by the left's moral madness on welfare. As with the NHS, the benefits system seems to be sacrosanct; no criticism is allowed. All is perfect in the most perfect of Brownian worlds, except of course that even more money should be spent. Even to ask a question about why hundreds people may have died in appalling neglect in Mid Staffs, or why we ended up subsidising the depraved lifestyle of Philpott to such an extravagant degree, is proof only of the nastiness of the person who has the temerity to ask the question.

No wonder the last Labour government was such a disaster in respect of public services and welfare, given that is the attitude. It certainly doesn't bode well for any future Labour government that this attitude is still prevalent.
  • Options
    mosesmoses Posts: 45
    edited April 2013
    Poor Ed on the wrong side of this as well. He' not having a good week with that blank sheet of paper.

France drags on euro zone economy, Britain brighter

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/04/us-europe-economy-idUSBRE9330E620130404

No doubt Wee timmy's idea of Another coalition failure of course ........oh?
    Not out of the woods but not in the mire like France.

Talking of France have they surrendered yet in the face of the threats from N.Korea?
  • Options
    Ah, I see Roger understands the point.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    MikeL said:

I think the Conservative manifesto will limit benefits to two children - for NEW children born 9 months after GE date.

What Cameron must do is say repeatedly how generous tax credits are.

Remember - I suggested the benefit cap on this website way, way before the Government announced it. Let's hope Dave is reading my advice again!!!

Yeah ok. Your only problem there is that over 5m families claim each of child tax credits, housing benefit, council tax benefit, and almost 8m families claim child benefit (with some overlap obviously).
  • Options
    True. But he probably wouldn't have been quite so keen on living with 11 children if he had had to support them financially himself. And at least part of the motivation for setting the fire was to regain custody of five of his children - and, more to the point, the state cash they brought with them. And possibly a bigger and better council house to boot.

• Options
    @TCHL: Labour has made two bad mistakes today i: abandoning Trident ii: Suggesting that the benefits system was not central to Philpotts' life.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited April 2013
    tim said:

@DavidL
    You can cut benefits by building houses and paying a living wage.
    Two routes Osborne has shut down, hence his failure to control welfare.

Tim, the coalition inherited a shortgae of circa 2m homes which has probably grown by about 10% since then. So 90% of the problem was inherited from Labour.
    As to paying more money as a living wage? The scale of the inequity of under paid people was inherited from Labour.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,314
    Anyone wanting more info should go to page 35 of tim's leaflet.

This shows a single parent (income £15,000) with ONE child (not disabled) getting tax credits of £8,017.

tim - you will see your figure of £2,690 which you originally posted - but the point is she gets a whole host of other credits as well.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/leaflets/wtc2.pdf
  • Options
    Roger said:

This has nothing to do with child killers. I was watching Channel 4 News when Krishnan Guru-Murthy explained in simple terms how a family with eleven children legitimately get £53,000 from the state. The 'child murderer' was just a reason for giving that frankly gobsmacking fact.

I doubt many watching it weren't a little surprised and Labour would be well advised to forget Osborne and explain whether this is something they support and why.

And how do they? And how many couples are there with 11 children that get £53,000 from the state? And should their existence be justification for depriving the vast majority of welfare recipients, who do not have 11 children and who are not gaming the system, of income they depend upon to keep their families fed and sheltered?

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374
    LucyJones said:

DavidL said:

These figures essentially show why the country is bankrupt. When Tim points out for the next 100 times that the majority of those affected by housing benefit changes are "working" remember what this means.

What it means in many cases is that they are working more than 16 hours a week, that they pay little or no income tax and that their wage is then more than doubled by the tax payer. Put bluntly this "work" costs us a fortune.

The oft-repeated claim is that 93% of new housing benefit claimants are in work. But the word "new" distorts the picture considerably:

According to Factcheck, "What we can confirm from the DWP's statistics is that at least 18 per cent of Housing Benefit claimants are in employment , although this could be on either a full- or part-time basis. The DWP also concedes that, of the other claimants, some of them could well be working part-time too." http://fullfact.org/factchecks/one_in_eight_housing_benefit_claimants_unemployed-27479

By their nature many of those on housing benefit will be in part time employment. Otherwise, in many areas of the country where housing is not that expensive, they would not qualify. So the majority of these "working" recipients are in reality living on benefits and frankly would be whether they were paid the minimum wage or the living wage. Because if you have 2 children the "living wage" is nothing of the sort and state support for your employment and housing will still be required.

• Options
    edited April 2013

philiph said:

I'm sorry, but I don't follow your logic at all. In what way did welfare payments enable him to get into a position to kill six children?
    By paying him for each and every child. In his twisted mind they were money generating units as well as children. The whole crime was about him getting the cash back for children who had left with his mistress, and he wanted custody and the money that they attracted.

If you think there is a moral argument to justify society paying benefit for 11 children via 2 women, feel free to express it.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,989
    Nice ROI from the nags for the day ! THanks PtP
  • Options

I am genuinely astonished by the left's moral madness on welfare. As with the NHS, the benefits system seems to be sacrosanct; no criticism is allowed. All is perfect in the most perfect of Brownian worlds, except of course that even more money should be spent. Even to ask a question about why hundreds people may have died in appalling neglect in Mid Staffs, or why we ended up subsidising the depraved lifestyle of Philpott to such an extravagant degree, is proof only of the nastiness of the person who has the temerity to ask the question.

No wonder the last Labour government was such a disaster in respect of public services and welfare, given that is the attitude. It certainly doesn't bode well for any future Labour government that this attitude is still prevalent.

Who said no criticism was allowed? I object to a debate conducted on terms that seek to define those who are on welfare as not doing the right thing, as if they were making a lifestyle choice. Having claimed welfare myself in the past, I know that is not the case.I happen to believe that the vast majority of welfare recipients are in situaitons similar tot he one I found myself in, rather than the one Philpott manufactured for himself.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    If Labour think that shrugging their shoulders and saying that we shouldn't pay too much attention to the way in which Mick Philpott abused the welfare system because it's highly unusual is going to satisfy the general public, they're as daft as the Conservatives were when they thought that they could explain away some of the hard cases caused by the "bedroom tax" by referring to a discretionary hardship fund.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

I happen to believe that the vast majority of welfare recipients are in situaitons similar tot he one I found myself in, rather than the one Philpott manufactured for himself.

What evidence are you basing that on?
  • Options

Roger said:

And how do they? And how many couples are there with 11 children that get £53,000 from the state? And should their existence be justification for depriving the vast majority of welfare recipients, who do not have 11 children and who are not gaming the system, of income they depend upon to keep their families fed and sheltered?

You have an imaginary link between amendments to stop people claiming for 11 children and stopping all welfare. Only you is making that weird illogical connection.
  • Options
    philiph said:

philiph said:

By paying him for each and every child. In his twisted mind they were money generating units as well as children. The whole crime was about him getting the cash back for children who had left with his mistress, and he wanted custody and the money that they attracted.

If you think there is a moral argument to justify society benefit for 11 children via 2 women, feel free to express it.

The alternative is either to take the children into care or put them out onto the street.

• Options
    @IsabelOakeshott: Great that @George_Osborne is sticking his neck out for once and telling us what he thinks.the submarine has emerged,with a proper splash
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    The Tories need to realise that all they are doing is stoking the UKIP dragon. The more they do it the further they have to drift to the right. Just like the Republicans and the tea party.

And before you know it you can fight on the center ground. Then you lose.

But still like Europe the Tories want their sugar rush. So on we go.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    MikeL said:

tim - I'm still waiting for your apology.

The tax credit numbers have now been confirmed by 4 separate sources - HMRC website, HMRC leaflet, HMRC calculator and The Times.

They have also been confirmed by Lucy and Mark Senior - and everyone on here knows the reliability and expertise of Mr Senior.

Have some courage. Try and just earn a tiny bit of respect.

You'll be waiting a long time. tim is psychologically incapable of ever admitting he is wrong on anything. Not only that, but if you make an error and admit to it, he thinks it's a form of weakness and will endlessly bring it up as a response when you make an argument he can't respond to. The guy is a troll, and we're better off just not engaging with him.
  • Options

philiph said:

philiph said:

If you think there is a moral argument to justify society benefit for 11 children via 2 women, feel free to express it.

The alternative is either to take the children into care or put them out onto the street.

Or have new rules based on future births.
  • Options

Who said no criticism was allowed? I object to a debate conducted on terms that seek to define those who are on welfare as not doing the right thing, as if they were making a lifestyle choice. Having claimed welfare myself in the past, I know that is not the case.I happen to believe that the vast majority of welfare recipients are in situaitons similar tot he one I found myself in, rather than the one Philpott manufactured for himself.

But Southam, no-one disagrees that the vast majority of welfare recipients - many of whom are struggling on very low household incomes - are perfectly deserving. They will be as appalled (though probably not as surprised) as Roger at the fact that Philpott got mega-bucks whilst they, and most working families, have to survive on far, far less.

But you, and Balls, are trying to censor the debate, and say we shouldn't discuss what has gone wrong, or point out that Philpott WAS making a lifestyle choice.

Why are Labour so frightened of this discussion? It's madness, both politically and morally.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

I happen to believe that the vast majority of welfare recipients are in situaitons similar tot he one I found myself in, rather than the one Philpott manufactured for himself.

I said it is a belief. If it is incorrect and there are in fact millions of fathers with 11 children gaming the system for personal gain then I stand to be corrected.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited April 2013
    Roger said:

Well said Roger, - I don’t know how, but you actually seem to 'get' it.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Tim

'You can cut benefits by building houses and paying a living wage'

Labour had 13 years to do that but didn't bother,they just increased the population by 3 million to put even more pressure on housing and wages.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,255
    Scott_P said:

@TCHL: Labour has made two bad mistakes today i: abandoning Trident

Eh? When did they slip that one out?

• Options

That depends on whether or not you believe that Philpott would have fathered quite so many children had he not seen the financial reward in doing so.

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Thanks PtP for the tips today. Much appreciated!
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    tnewtondunn Silly of @George_Osborne to get stuck into the Philpotts; even sillier of @edballsmp to respond - makes them both look extreme.

A tweet I agree with.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 750
    Our base is too narrow and so, occasionally, are our sympathies, You know what some people call us: the nasty party

Plus ca change
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    @Tykejohnno

"Silly of @George_Osborne to get stuck into the Philpotts"

He was asked a direct question. The alternative would have been worse

"even sillier of @edballsmp to respond"

That's for damn sure
  • Options

Socrates said:

I said it is a belief. If it is incorrect and there are in fact millions of fathers with 11 children gaming the system for personal gain then I stand to be corrected.

Clearly, the Philpot case is extreme. However, I wonder how many are happy to survive on benefits endlessly and how many are striving to make sure they aren't taking hand outs any more.
  • Options
    @ShippersUnbound

Interesting that Labour originally sent out a tepid quote on Osborne from Timms. Now Balls has turned it up to 11.
  • Options

But Southam, no-one disagrees that the vast majority of welfare recipients - many of whom are struggling on very low household incomes - are perfectly deserving. They will be as appalled (though probably not as surprised) as Roger at the fact that Philpott got mega-bucks whilst they, and most working families, have to survive on far, far less.

But you, and Balls, are trying to censor the debate, and say we shouldn't discuss what has gone wrong, or point out that Philpott WAS making a lifestyle choice.

Why are Labour so frightened of this discussion? It's madness, both politically and morally.

Osborne justifies his welfare reforms on the basis that he is on the side of those who want to do the right thing. If you want to ignore the implication of those words that is up to you. I am very happy to discuss what has gone wrong and have done so on here numerous times. I strongly favour cracking down very, very heavily on those who abuse the system as does Balls from what I can understand. If he does not, then I disagree with him.

• Options
    IndyPolitics North Korea nuclear strike could hit UK, warns David Cameron ind.pn/XSVgxn

Iraq part 2 ,what next, the dodgy dossier.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    SOB's said

"The alternative is either to take the children into care or put them out onto the street."

This is a nutshell is the problem for all lefties and Labour they see only ever these two options and play on this to make their case. There is a third option and a more sensible one...

Don't have so many feckin kids, its not rocket science. Don't expect (to coin Labours phrase)
    "hard working families" to keep them in a style those same hard working families cannot afford themselves.

Labour and the left wrong again and there are many more out there who milk the system making it more difficult for genuine claimants.
  • Options
    ToryTreasury RT "@zerohedge: Confidence in Hollande drops under 30%, lowest of any president since 1958" - Ed M doesn't mention him so much these days...

Where's all the pb posters who were telling us about the great hope of the left ?
  • Options
    Tax Credits, minimum wage, benefits.

Where is the incentive to either pay or earn a higher wage? The system seems to encourage pay to migrate towards minimum wage and for the state to fill the gaps with hand outs.

Not a sensible system. Employers should be paying, governments should recycle money less.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Clearly, the Philpot case is extreme. However, I wonder how many are happy to survive on benefits endlessly and how many are striving to make sure they aren't taking hand outs any more.

So do I. Don't you think it would be worth finding out, before we start dividing the country into scroungers and strivers based on whether they receive welfare payments or not?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,895
    @SouthamObsever

"And should their existence be justification for depriving the vast majority of welfare recipients, who do not have 11 children and who are not gaming the system,"

The point is that they weren't 'gaming the system'. They were legitimately claiming what all families with 11 children are entitled to. I don't criticize welfare claimants at all I'm just incredulous at the amount awarded to support those who choose to have large families.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,989
    These figures on the levels of benefits available for children are
    MikeL said:

I posted this last night after everyone except tim had gone to bed.

Per The Times Budget tables:

Single person - Salary £10,000 - Net income £10,861

Single person with 2 children - Salary £10,000 - Net income £20,568

So having 2 children nets you an extra £9,707. Just £1,752 of that is Child Benefit. The remaining £7,955 is Child Tax Credits etc.

The figures are absolutely breathtaking. Why on earth should someone with two children get an extra £9,707? That's £187 per week. Does it cost £187 per week to feed and clothe two children?

The other aspect is that anyone with 2 children has almost no incentive at all to work unless they can earn a very high salary.

Single person with 2 children - Salary £30,000 - Net income £25,968

So earning an extra £20,000 gross salary (ie £30k instead of £10k) nets them an extra £5,400. So their tax rate from £10k to £30k is 73%.

tim's answer was that my argument was reasonable except it would reduce the birth rate and therefore require more immigration.

Surely we need clarity from politicians on this. Are we really just paying such generous benefits to keep the birth rate up?

Or do politicians really think you should get an extra £187 per week for having 2 children?

Does the public also think the right level of benefit for 2 children is £187 per week?

Thats a staggering set of statistics. See its stemmed from this whole 'Can't have children in poverty' argument but its gone way too far.
  • Options
    GdnPolitics Labour to leave decision on deficit reduction plan until election runup bit.ly/11sFcCq
  • Options
    glassfetglassfet Posts: 220
    How is that blank piece of paper going?
    Labour to leave decision on deficit reduction plan until election runup
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/04/labour-deficit-reduction-plan-election
  • Options
    @Roger

I agree with you.
  • Options
    It's all sugar sugar sugar for the Tory right. But its UKIP that get the honey.
  • Options
    Quinnipac congressional ballot:

Democrats 43% GOP 35%

That's enough for the Dems to retake the House.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes-centers/polling-institute/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=1876
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: The final and first word. RT @DouglasKMurray: The Philpott case should prompt debate about Britain's underclass: http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/douglas-murray/2013/04/the-philpott-case-should-prompt-debate-about-britains-underclass/
  • Options
    Roger said:

@SouthamObsever

"And should their existence be justification for depriving the vast majority of welfare recipients, who do not have 11 children and who are not gaming the system,"

The point is that they weren't 'gaming the system'. They were legitimately claiming what all families with 11 children are entitled to. I don't criticize welfare claimants at all I'm just incredulous at the amount awarded to support those who choose to have large families.

Quite so Rodger your last sentence sums it up perfectly.
  • Options
    @RichardNabavi

'Why are Labour so frightened of this discussion? It's madness, both politically and morally.'

It's reminiscent of when Labour was in power and anyone raising concerns about levels of immigration was immediately labelled a racist,which in terms of short term censorship worked well.Then they finally realized they were on the wrong side of public opinion and gave us permission to talk about it.

As Hodges mentioned in his article on welfare,Labour is sitting on the wrong side of a sturdy fence.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Labour's lack of policies is a big problem for the party here. Without a proper script to read from, spokesmen are going with their instincts, which is to stick up for anybody on welfare. Anybody at all.

Not good.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374
    SO is correct that there are relatively few families out there with 11 children and that is not really the nature of the problem.

The real problem is better illustrated with the "normal" 2 child family. How much are we prepared to pay to have them work 16 hours a week? In the context of that discussion the living wage remains an irrelevance. At best it will make a difference of £30 odd a week, it really is a distraction.

We should not lose sight of the fact that we have such generous arrangements is one of the main reasons we are sitting at 7.7% unemployment instead of the truly scary levels of unemployment in many EZ countries. We also should not lose sight of the fact that the appalling prizes for all culture in our schools means that a significant percentage of our population will never earn enough to keep themselves and their family: their work is just not worth that much in an international market place.

Changing these things is something that cannot be done overnight. In several important areas, welfare, education and housing this Coalition is making tentative steps in the right direction instead of the blank denial of the existence of the problem that Balls is still persisting with. Are Labour really going into the next election in this mode? Really?
  • Options
    IOS said:

It's all sugar sugar sugar for the Tory right. But its UKIP that get the honey.

What a sweet algorithm
  • Options
    @michaelsavage: Election dividing lines appearing. Osborne already signalled in Budget he wants to target AME spending (largely welfare) after the election.
  • Options
    @Glassfest

You mean that Labour are following the successful 1997 strategy? I honestly think you aren't very smart when you just link without reading.

More sugar for the right wing drones. UKIP get the honey.
  • Options
    @Philiph

You seen the Tories have admitted they have wasted £7m of party money and that they are going to have to waste just as much again?

Nope. Thought you hadn't
  • Options
    IOS said:

@Philiph

You seen the Tories have admitted they have wasted £7m of party money and that they are going to have to waste just as much again?

Nope. Thought you hadn't

Why would I care? I think all political parties should have spending capped.
  • Options
    @glassfet

'Labour to leave decision on deficit reduction plan until election runup'

That's code for we haven't a clue.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Labour to leave decision on deficit reduction plan until election runup

That is another complete disaster. How can Labour criticise the government between now and then if it doesn't have its own economic strategy?

• Options
    @philiph

Cos you take the piss. Yet you have missed a huge strategic problem for the Tories. The only way they can solve it is if they take it in house.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    New thread - the PB local elections special
  • Options
    @tim

The article says it was Jan 97 when Labour played their hand.

Silly Tories seem to think Labour should not repeat that exact strategy.
  • Options
    @Geoff/Pulpstar
    GeoffM said:

Thanks PtP for the tips today. Much appreciated!

Very welcome, both of you.

It was one of the busiest days betting I've had in a long time - over £4,000 staked, one way or another. My return of £700 might seem a bit meagre but I went heavily on Countrywide Flame which went down...er, in flames. A decent bet on Helium rescued me. Anybody that got that had to be OK.

I did a quick recky on the bets I put up earlier today and at a level point per race the profit came out about 8 points. Don't suppose I'll be getting too many complaints.

Knackered now. This is almost like work. Back tomorrow though, when in all seriousness I will be recommending a bet on Sprinter Sacre. Even at 1/3, I think he's value. Should be more like 1/10.

Toodle pip, punters. I'm off to bed.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited April 2013
    AveryLP said:

but what do the majority of us think about sterilisation as an alternative or addition to the benefits cap?

Sterilising Osbrowne will not stop his toxic incompetence or indeed your always hopeless attempts to spin for him, Seth O Logue. ;)

• Options
    you have to laugh at the rhetoric of Smithson, it always has an anti Labour bias. I wonder what he would say if Labour won a local election by taking all the votes.
    No doubt he would say something like the tellers couldn't count
This discussion has been closed.