Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters not totally convinced that Theresa will meet her Artic

Comments

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    chestnut said:

Renzi poll position worsens in Italian referendum;

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-italy-referendum-polls-idUKKBN13A1BP?il=0

"One is that the polls show that the 'No' vote is strongest in the south of the country, where turnout is normally lowest.

"It may be that a significant number of those in the south who say they are going to vote 'No' will end up staying at home," said Federico Benini, head of the Winpoll agency."

Wonder where I've heard this before.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,416

DavidL said:

The question who did commission the Deloitte report is obvious and glaring. No doubt we will find out in due course.

Hasn't it been reported that it was uncommissioned?
    Deloittes themselves have acknowledged that.

The more interesting question is who at Deloittes leaked it to the Times.
    I'm fairly certain it was leaked to The Times by someone inside the Government.
    You're being coy about the basis for even a fair certainty. Why?
    Because some people will automatically think it was leaked by Osborne/Cameron or their associates because I said it was leaked by someone inside the Government.

The memo does have the ring of authenticity of the various tensions within government.

As I noted today, the Government haven't disputed the contents of the memo.
    Grayling said the 30K figure was rubbish.
    That was the solutions part of the memo not the problems facing the Government part of the memo.
    I haven't seen it. But if, as is now being stated, it was prepared without input from No10 or the Cabinet Office is it any more than a statement of the obvious?
  • Options
    If you want to work out who leaked the Deloitte report, you have to ask yourself the question who benefits from the leak. The answer seems to be: someone who is an opponent of Theresa May's style of government, who is dissatisfied with the performance of the Three Brexiteers and who wants to see more structure and organisation around the process.

The obvious suspects present themselves naturally. Deloitte are not on that list.
  • Options

Google backs UK with £1bn investment plan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37988095

Perhaps Hillary's loss is our gain?

He said open borders and free movement for skilled migrants were "absolutely" important to the success of the technology sector in the UK.
    It was Mr Pichai's first European broadcast interview since he became chief executive last year.
    Sources at the technology company also said if barriers were thrown up to skilled immigration following the vote to leave the European Union, some of Google's investment could be at risk.

I reckon Google has been talking to HMG.

But why selectively quote? There is also this:

"The innovation we see here, the talent we have available here and how on the cutting edge of technology we are able to be here makes it an incredible place for us to invest," he said.

"We do value how open and connected it is and we can bring in talent from anywhere in the world and we value those attributes and we are optimistic that those will stay true over time."

"So we did [make the investment decision] taking into consideration [the referendum], but we are very optimistic"

Reading the runes, it suggests to me a tightening on low-skilled immigration, and possibly more flexibility on high-skilled immigration, subject to the democratic process.

And yes, they probably have been talking to HMG.

But such an immigration policy is probably exactly what most people in the UK want.
  • Options
    More problems for Merkel: http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-europe-migrants-germany-survey-idUKKBN13A21F

Has she confirmed whether she is standing again or not yet?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005
    edited November 2016
    Attention spread bettors

SPIN have settled Donald Trump at 306

Collect or deposit now at your leisure.

Rather annoyingly Betfair have not.
  • Options

If you want to work out who leaked the Deloitte report, you have to ask yourself the question who benefits from the leak. The answer seems to be: someone who is an opponent of Theresa May's style of government, who is dissatisfied with the performance of the Three Brexiteers and who wants to see more structure and organisation around the process.

The obvious suspects present themselves naturally. Deloitte are not on that list.

Was it you?!
  • Options

He said open borders and free movement for skilled migrants were "absolutely" important to the success of the technology sector in the UK.
    It was Mr Pichai's first European broadcast interview since he became chief executive last year.
    Sources at the technology company also said if barriers were thrown up to skilled immigration following the vote to leave the European Union, some of Google's investment could be at risk.

I reckon Google has been talking to HMG.

"The innovation we see here, the talent we have available here and how on the cutting edge of technology we are able to be here makes it an incredible place for us to invest," he said.

"We do value how open and connected it is and we can bring in talent from anywhere in the world and we value those attributes and we are optimistic that those will stay true over time."

"So we did [make the investment decision] taking into consideration [the referendum], but we are very optimistic"

Reading the runes, it suggests to me a tightening on low-skilled immigration, and possibly more flexibility on high-skilled immigration, subject to the democratic process.

But such an immigration policy is probably exactly what most people in the UK want.

My point was the Google has also been given reassurances.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

The question who did commission the Deloitte report is obvious and glaring. No doubt we will find out in due course.

Because some people will automatically think it was leaked by Osborne/Cameron or their associates because I said it was leaked by someone inside the Government.

The memo does have the ring of authenticity of the various tensions within government.

Grayling said the 30K figure was rubbish.
    30k sounds awfully like a figure intended to win them business - you could hire 30k permanent civil servants and pay them loads of money and pension rights, or you could get us to do it on a consultancy basis for half the cost of recruiting and paying those 30k...
    You're so cynical Max. I am shocked.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    weejonnie said:

chestnut said:

"One is that the polls show that the 'No' vote is strongest in the south of the country, where turnout is normally lowest.

"It may be that a significant number of those in the south who say they are going to vote 'No' will end up staying at home," said Federico Benini, head of the Winpoll agency."

"The most worrying aspect for Renzi is that as the number of undecided voters declines, the lead for 'No' appears to be rising."

It looks like it's NO alright.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    matt said:

MP_SE said:

Hopefully Deloitte will lose whatever contract they have like what happened with PA when they lost that memory stick.
    So competitive tendering is now a thing of the past?
    Yes.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Given that it was a Deloitte internal memo i'm not sure who else would have leaked it...
  • Options
    Mr. P, interesting but I'm not hugely surprised Dennis has been made to walk the plank.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Take me home, country roads...

After Donald Trump’s election as president, Pamela Ramsey Taylor, director of the Clay County Development Corp., took to Facebook to comment on the upcoming shift from Obama to Melania Trump, reportedly writing: “It will be so refreshing to have a classy, beautiful, dignified First Lady back in the White House. I’m tired of seeing a Ape in heels.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/11/14/ape-in-heels-w-va-officials-under-fire-after-comments-about-michelle-obama/?postshare=1241479225376765&tid=ss_tw

Wow. I mean, wow.
    Even if it was not intended to be racially derogatory (which I doubt) it's still an awful comment to describe any woman as an "ape".
    Absolutely. The fact that Michelle Obama is classy, beautiful and dignified really does not come into it. In this country I think this would be prosecutable. A sick, sick individual.
    I wouldn't want it to be prosecutable, because it's good for people like Pamela Taylor to show themselves in their true colours. Such a comment says far more about her than anyone else could.
    From what I could pick up, I thought Michelle Obama had done some good work for women's rights and education. Ad hominem or bitchy comments should be beneath opponents. Regrettably we are getting a lot from the Democrats because that is what they do and from the Republicans because it is payback time.

Calling a black woman an ape goes well beyond bitchy.

• Options

Mr. Royale, there were legitimate reasons to vote to Remain (though I feel these were eclipsed by the reasons to vote Leave). Must agree with Mr. Observer about the term 'bottled'.

So be it. Those who were for Leave, but chickened out at the final hurdle, and now feel qualified to hurl mud at those who did vote Leave I feel entitled to call bottlers.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Your predisposition to believe its authenticity shines through. Why would the government engage in discussion of a document that has been dismissed as an uncommissioned opinion lacking any credibility - Deloittes for crisake?
  • Options

It's a credible hypothesis, and one which I agree with.

However, your quotes were still selective. Every silver lining has a cloud.

Why not also celebrate this fantastic news?
  • Options

Are you vouching for its employees also?
  • Options

I am not completely sure of your logic. It goes so far but if someone (lets call him George for ease of reference) did do that then the gap between him and May is, to put it politely, unlikely to narrow. And George would know that. Because he is a very clever boy.
  • Options

chestnut said:

Merkel signals move on freedom of movement:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-germany-movement-idUKKBN13A1O5?il=0

"But on the finer detail of defining the free movement of people, she added: "I personally am of the view that we will have to discuss further with the (European) Commission when this freedom of movement applies from."

Merkel said that if, for example, someone came to Germany from eastern Europe and worked only for a short time but acquired a life-long claim on welfare benefits, "then I see a question about which we must talk again."

I imagine this isn't entirely unrelated to the new realpolitik regarding the election of Donald Trump.

The calculation has changed. Slightly, but it's changed.

The EU now needs British engagement on military and security matters. That outweighs its general petulance about free movement as a pillar of its theology.
    Michael Fallon persuaded the EU to drop their army and strengthen NATO at yesterday's meeting.

The new politique is changing lots of positions while the UK benefits. The Irish are also expressing remorse today over the lack of giving Cameron more and they are one of many in the EU who are coming to the realisation that a deal has to be done with the UK.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Speedy said:

weejonnie said:

chestnut said:

"The most worrying aspect for Renzi is that as the number of undecided voters declines, the lead for 'No' appears to be rising."

It looks like it's NO alright.
    £50 @ 1.38

This time the 'favoured' option is BEHIND at the gun !

Looks like a NO to me too.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics/market/1.127242752
  • Options

I think you are reading too much into things at the moment. I posted a quote and said that I thought Google had spoken to HMG. That's all I intended to do. I was not seeking to make any other point whatsoever. It's kind of like the Poppy Police on here with some Leavers currently.

• Options

Off-topic: an interesting new theory 'solves' the dark matter problem of gravity. By saying that gravity is *not* a fundamental force.

http://phys.org/news/2016-11-theory-gravity-dark.html

If right, it may solve some of the problems facing physics. And probably create new ones at the same time ...

It's some forty years since I did theoretical physics, and my field wasn't gravity but elementary particles and weak interactions, but looking at his original 2010 paper I would say it looks like a serious and very interesting hypothesis.
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, not trying to have a go at you. I agree we're better off out, and voted that way. Democracy's all about legitimate but varying opinions, after all (which is why I also think it's not on that some are trying to ignore the result of the referendum).
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    RobD said:

Sounds like it was commissioned by themselves. Who else would commission a report that was intended for internal Deloite consumption?
    Who leaked it then to the press and presented as if it was a civil service paper?

I got the impression last night that the Deloite paper was a Whitehall one.

Someone from Deloite or the Times has been sloppy.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    MP_SE said:

matt said:

MP_SE said:

Hopefully Deloitte will lose whatever contract they have like what happened with PA when they lost that memory stick.
    So competitive tendering is now a thing of the past?
    Yes.
    You've said enough. Taxpayers beware.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Dark Matter is Ninjas.

Invisible stuff with mass. Am I describing Dark Matter or Ninjas? Exactly.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

RobD said:

Sounds like it was commissioned by themselves. Who else would commission a report that was intended for internal Deloite consumption?
    Who leaked it then to the press and presented as if it was a civil service paper?

I don't think "sloppy" quite does it
  • Options

Mr. Royale, not trying to have a go at you. I agree we're better off out, and voted that way. Democracy's all about legitimate but varying opinions, after all (which is why I also think it's not on that some are trying to ignore the result of the referendum).

Of course. I just get a bit frustrated with the same old tired arguments being thrown at Leavers, and assumptions made about their way of thinking.

Which is probably why I've been a bit more disengaged as of late.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,015
    Alistair said:

Dark Matter is Ninjas.

Invisible stuff with mass. Am I describing Dark Matter or Ninjas? Exactly.

Dark Matter are actually WIMPS.

I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    Is Sajid still loyal to his old master ?

Or was it genuinely a Deloitte internal "How can we fleece the gov't" document run amuck ?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,113

I don't think there's any Brexit deal where we remain in some EU or European institutions. There's the customs union, of course, but that isn't the same as being part of the EU, and nor is it an institution. Even the EEA means quitting the ECJ. We will remain a member of the ECHR and Council of Europe (for the time being) no matter what.

I think paying into the EU is different, as long as the government can demonstrate its for access, with a net benefit trading gain, and a net saving, and not a compulsory membership fee. As usual, voters will weight up the costs and benefits for themselves.

And, for the record, I'm probably more of a hard Brexiteer than the latter, for what it's worth. I'd be satisfied with either. Just more satisfied with the former.

This whole "a-ha! you Brexiteers can't agree amongst yourselves what you want!" has always been viewed as be some sort of killer argument by Remainers since Day 1, but it fails to take account that the no.1 objective of Brexiteers is to quit because we viewed remaining in the EU as a neverending escalator to closer harmonisation and integration.

(And I'm perfectly realistic, thank you very much.)

I forgot you speak for all Brexiteers. Many may disagree with your "no. 1 objective".

And you would think you're being realistic. I'm far from sure you are. But hey, reasonable people can reasonably differ on such things. I meant no slight.
    I don't, but you felt you knew my mind. So I corrected you.

I recognise you bottled voting Leave, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Like you said, reasonable people can differ.
    "bottled it" ?

LOL. Nope. I made a rational and sane decision based on the information at hand: that the case, to my mind at least, was not made. Clearly you differed. Then again, I'm not sure you ever fully considered alternative views. In fact, your use of the word 'bottled' is evidence towards that.

I feel like hurling a few insults towards you, but instead I'll just LOL again.

And my vote (which I was honest about throughout) wasn't exactly relevant to this conversation.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    There are some good news on the foreign policy area of the Trump administration, Sen.Paul is against John Bolton to become Sec.of State.

Paul can block his appointment in the Senate foreign relations committee, so Bolton won't take that job, but the question is who will.

As Paul is the swing vote on the committee, Trump will have to find someone who will get the OK from him.
  • Options

I think you are reading too much into things at the moment. I posted a quote and said that I thought Google had spoken to HMG. That's all I intended to do. I was not seeking to make any other point whatsoever. It's kind of like the Poppy Police on here with some Leavers currently.

"Some Leavers".

There you go again. Lumping me into a collective, and dismissing me accordingly, without even bothering to address my point. And yet you have the nerve to tell me what posts of mine are reasonable or not?

It's very simple: this is good news. Rather than make a balanced post including the positive parts of Google's announcement in your post, you selectively highlighted the reservations and negatives. As you have done for months, now, with your posts on here.

Every silver lining has a cloud.

A patriotic champion of British business like yourself could have at least introduced your argument with "This is great news, but".

But you didn't. Because everything must be framed to make Brexit look dicey, disorganised, reckless and ridiculous.
  • Options

Off-topic: an interesting new theory 'solves' the dark matter problem of gravity. By saying that gravity is *not* a fundamental force.

http://phys.org/news/2016-11-theory-gravity-dark.html

If right, it may solve some of the problems facing physics. And probably create new ones at the same time ...

It's some forty years since I did theoretical physics, and my field wasn't gravity but elementary particles and weak interactions, but looking at his original 2010 paper I would say it looks like a serious and very interesting hypothesis.
    Looks very interesting. Started to read the new paper, but lost it after a few paragraphs. I guess BBC Horizon will update me in due course.
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, I can appreciate that. A highlight was when a 'spike' of inflation was wibbled about when it rose by 0.1% and was half the target rate.

Anyway, I must be off for the night.
  • Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_constitutional_referendum,_2016

Just look at that polling go from huge yes leads to a solid "No" !
  • Options

chestnut said:

"But on the finer detail of defining the free movement of people, she added: "I personally am of the view that we will have to discuss further with the (European) Commission when this freedom of movement applies from."

Merkel said that if, for example, someone came to Germany from eastern Europe and worked only for a short time but acquired a life-long claim on welfare benefits, "then I see a question about which we must talk again."

I imagine this isn't entirely unrelated to the new realpolitik regarding the election of Donald Trump.

The EU now needs British engagement on military and security matters. That outweighs its general petulance about free movement as a pillar of its theology.
    Michael Fallon persuaded the EU to drop their army and strengthen NATO at yesterday's meeting.

The new politique is changing lots of positions while the UK benefits. The Irish are also expressing remorse today over the lack of giving Cameron more and they are one of many in the EU who are coming to the realisation that a deal has to be done with the UK.

Agreed. There won't be any EU at all unless it can be secured and defended with the active cooperation and help of its near neighbours.
  • Options

Mr. Royale, I can appreciate that. A highlight was when a 'spike' of inflation was wibbled about when it rose by 0.1% and was half the target rate.

Anyway, I must be off for the night.

Me too. I am getting grumpy.

Good evening.
  • Options

Why does it have to be in bloody London? The last thing London needs is more young, highly skilled professional workers, who can't buy a house, whereas the rest of the country is crying out for them.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Until proven guilty of something sinister we have to use "sloppy".
    But of course it doesn't look good.
  • Options

Speedy said:

RobD said:

The Managing Partner of Deloitte was signatory to a Remain letter in June. They clearly have an interest in Brexit failing.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

AV ref, EU ref, same patterns.
  • Options

Why does it have to be in bloody London? The last thing London needs is more young, highly skilled professional workers, who can't buy a house, whereas the rest of the country is crying out for them.
    People seem to like it for some reason !

Tricky to keep a horse or two in the middle of London on ~ £60k household income, so not really for me.
  • Options
  • Options

"Some Leavers".

There you go again. Lumping me into a collective, and dismissing me accordingly, without even bothering to address my point. And yet you have the nerve to tell me what posts of mine are reasonable or not?

It's very simple: this is good news. Rather than make a balanced post including the positive parts of Google's announcement in your post, you selectively highlighted the reservations and negatives. As you have done for months, now, with your posts on here.

A patriotic champion of British business like yourself could have at least introduced your argument with "This is great news, but".

But you didn't. Because everything must be framed to make Brexit look dicey, disorganised, reckless and ridiculous.

Yep, whatever.
  • Options

I don't think there's any Brexit deal where we remain in some EU or European institutions. There's the customs union, of course, but that isn't the same as being part of the EU, and nor is it an institution. Even the EEA means quitting the ECJ. We will remain a member of the ECHR and Council of Europe (for the time being) no matter what.

I think paying into the EU is different, as long as the government can demonstrate its for access, with a net benefit trading gain, and a net saving, and not a compulsory membership fee. As usual, voters will weight up the costs and benefits for themselves.

And, for the record, I'm probably more of a hard Brexiteer than the latter, for what it's worth. I'd be satisfied with either. Just more satisfied with the former.

This whole "a-ha! you Brexiteers can't agree amongst yourselves what you want!" has always been viewed as be some sort of killer argument by Remainers since Day 1, but it fails to take account that the no.1 objective of Brexiteers is to quit because we viewed remaining in the EU as a neverending escalator to closer harmonisation and integration.

I forgot you speak for all Brexiteers. Many may disagree with your "no. 1 objective".

And you would think you're being realistic. I'm far from sure you are. But hey, reasonable people can reasonably differ on such things. I meant no slight.

I recognise you bottled voting Leave, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

"bottled it" ?

LOL. Nope. I made a rational and sane decision based on the information at hand: that the case, to my mind at least, was not made. Clearly you differed. Then again, I'm not sure you ever fully considered alternative views. In fact, your use of the word 'bottled' is evidence towards that.

And my vote (which I was honest about throughout) wasn't exactly relevant to this conversation.
    Your problem (and you are very clever and knowledgeable) is that there is a slight undertone of arrogance and know-it-all'ness that underlines most of your posts. This grates, and gets under people's skin. Normally, I can dust it off. Today, I am grouchy.

Perhaps it's worth thinking about how you come across.

I'm off.
  • Options

"Some Leavers".

Yep, whatever.
    Yes, it tells a lot about you. As does your response.
  • Options
    jcesmond said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

The Managing Partner of Deloitte was signatory to a Remain letter in June. They clearly have an interest in Brexit failing.

Very few people have an interest in Brexit failing. If it goes wrong we all end up suffering - even the managing partner of Deloitte.

• Options

I share your frustration but London is the Tech capital of Europe already: http://www.cityam.com/217920/london-technology-week-its-official-londons-capital-european-tech

It is probably the closest Google can find to Silicon Valley outside the US. Clustering is one of the more fascinating parts of modern economics.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,209
    Deloittegate not the headline news on the Six O'Clock News. I'm shocked.
  • Options

jcesmond said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Very few people have an interest in Brexit failing. If it goes wrong we all end up suffering - even the managing partner of Deloitte.

Agreed. So we should celebrate companies investing in post-Brexit Britain.

Of course, we can also note the political inferences and implications from the announcements as well.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

People seem to like it for some reason !

Tricky to keep a horse or two in the middle of London on ~ £60k household income, so not really for me.
    When foreigners think of Britain the first thing that pops up is London.

For them they don't know anything about the other parts of the country, London is the only place they know it exists.

Just like most of us don't know much about foreign cities except their largest one or their capital (example France=Paris for most).
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Probably because Google thinks those people who choose to live in London are better employees than those people choosing to live in Sunderland.

• Options

"bottled it" ?

Your problem (and you are very clever and knowledgeable) is that there is a slight undertone of arrogance and know-it-all'ness that underlines most of your posts. This grates, and gets under people's skin. Normally, I can dust it off. Today, I am grouchy.

I'm off.
    Another poster who tries to psychoanalyse me.

Perhaps you should take your own advice, and consider how *you* come across as well.

Oh well. I'm off for a while as well. C u all. Play nicely.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Probably because Google thinks those people who choose to live in London are better employees than those people choosing to live in Sunderland.

No, since people would move across the country to work for them. I suspect it is more to do with London being a trendier place to be.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Doesn't matter what the question is, the answer is always the same

"Piss off"
  • Options
    RobD said:
    A Book about Apple products that costs as much as an Apple product.

They have a sense of humour in that company.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

And Obama endorsed Yes, so it's almost certainly going to be No.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited November 2016

jcesmond said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

There are a huge number of people who want Brexit to fail - in the sense of it being blocked/stopped/people scared into recanting etc.

• Options

I think some Leavers currently.

"Some Leavers".

Yep, whatever.

No, it just says there are more important things in life than arguing with someone who reads things into posts that aren't there and who will not accept that fact when it is explained. It's really not very important.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

"Piss off"
    They simply like the idea originally, but then they are reminded about the one who proposed it and get suspicious.

AV is bad because of Clegg.
    EU is bad because of Cameron.
    It's now Renzi's turn.
  • Options
    RobD said:

JonathanD said:

No, since people would move across the country to work for them. I suspect it is more to do with London being a trendier place to be.
    Well I'm glad they want to invest in the UK, even if it is London !
  • Options

chestnut said:

Agreed. There won't be any EU at all unless it can be secured and defended with the active cooperation and help of its near neighbours.
    All this hope that the EU will act in a sane manner! I hope you are all right.
  • Options

jcesmond said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

There are a huge number of people who want Brexit to fail - in the sense of it being blocked/stopped/people scared into recanting etc.

There are a lot of people who do not want it to happen because they think it will be bad for the country, but that is different. If it is to happen, then it has to be a success. That's why getting it right is so important.

My view is that from where we are now it would be worse for the country not to Brexit than to Brexit because remaining from here would be an unbridled national humiliation. But I wish that we weren't here. I lost, though, and am getting over it :-)

• Options

jcesmond said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

There are a huge number of people in key positions,who want Brexit to fail - in the sense of it being blocked/stopped/people scared into recanting etc.
  • Options

I think some Leavers currently.

"

Yep, whatever.

No, it just says there are more important things in life than arguing with someone who reads things into posts that aren't there and who will not accept that fact when it is explained. It's really not very important.

Reading things into posts that aren't there is precisely the point. You are choosing, consciously or sub-consciously, to exclude it and I think that is informative about your views, and shows an inherent lack of balance.

I agree there are more important things than arguing about it with you, though.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,686
    edited November 2016

I

"bottled it" ?

I'm off.

Perhaps you should take your own advice, and consider how *you* come across as well.

Quite so. I will, and I do. And if several people are saying it, that is sometimes informative.

Anyway, have a good evening, and see you later.
  • Options
    The Remainian Conspiracy: if only we had a thriller writer on our site to sketch out a plot. It could be chock-a-block full of evil lawyers, treacherous accountants and scheming five-a-day advisers. I'd prefer not to be blood-eagled, if that's alright though.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

"Piss off"
    They simply like the idea originally, but then they are reminded about the one who proposed it and get suspicious.

AV is bad because of Clegg.
    EU is bad because of Cameron.
    It's now Renzi's turn.
    Perhaps then if Cameron had come out for a Leave vote we may have voted to Remain just to stick it to him!
  • Options

The Remainian Conspiracy: if only we had a thriller writer on our site to sketch out a plot. It could be chock-a-block full of evil lawyers, treacherous accountants and scheming five-a-day advisers. I'd prefer not to be blood-eagled, if that's alright though.

LEAVE 52%
    Hillary 48%

:innocent:
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,162

Meanwhile, Iain Duncan Smith has gone full fruitloop

This article should accompany any story relating to the loser from Perugia.

http://www.aei.org/publication/this-man-is-washingtons-candidate/
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Loathe as I am to agree with IDS, it probably isn't the place of the judiciary to tell Parliament how to run its affairs. MPs will get the chance to amend the bill and vote on it, that is enough.
  • Options

I

"bottled it" ?

I'm off.

Quite so. I will, and I do. And if several people are saying it, that is sometimes informative.

"And if several people are saying it, that is sometimes informative."

Considering they said different things, perhaps not ...

"Anyway, have a good evening, and see you later. "

I'll have a good evening, don't worry.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,515
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

JonathanD said:

Well I'm glad they want to invest in the UK, even if it is London !
    Me too. Although if it's just a make-it-attractive-to-prospective-empolyees location, I can't see why anyone would want to relocate to London over a hypothetical alternative of Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Glasgow, Birmingham, Bristol or any one of a number of other pleasant, livable exciting British cities in which normal middle class people could afford to settle down. I can see why people like London, but really, if you're young and not in the ranks of the super-rich, it's almost no longer a realistic option.
  • Options
    Now a proper conspiracist would be citing this as evidence that the government wants to lose the case to trigger an election where Labour might well disintegrate.
  • Options

I

"b
    Y

I'm off.

There was no need to respond to that gracious post with sarcasm.

But you must have the last word, mustn't you?

Given I work in the industry you've always wanted to work in, you'd think you'd conduct yourself with more courtesy towards me. I've always respected your abilities, and had toyed with the idea of seeing what I could do to arrange introductions in the infrastructure/construction industry, because you are clearly very talented.

But, because of your behaviour on here, I am disinclined to do so now.
  • Options
    Just think - six months ago David Cameron was at the peak of his powers, and Clinton looked like a shoo in for POTUS !
  • Options
    @Cookie London is glamorous and makes an effort to be welcoming to outsiders (viz the referendum vote). Sheffield is unglamorous and apparently unwelcoming to outsiders (viz the referendum vote). And if you're trying to attract bright young things to work for you, it helps if you're based in what is perceived to be one of the world's most important cultural centres with beautiful people rather than a wasteland populated by orcs.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

@Cookie London is glamorous and makes an effort to be welcoming to outsiders (viz the referendum vote). Sheffield is unglamorous and apparently unwelcoming to outsiders (viz the referendum vote). And if you're trying to attract bright young things to work for you, it helps if you're based in what is perceived to be one of the world's most important cultural centres with beautiful people rather than a wasteland populated by orcs.

London also has pre-existing infrastructure for companies like Google and Apple. That's probably the main decision to stay in London instead of shifting resources to Europe or some other part of the UK.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,410
    edited November 2016
    Google is not the only US investment since Brexit. The UK, and more specifically North Wales, has been chosen to be the global repair hub to provide maintenance, repair, overhaul and upgrade services for the F35 avionic and aircraft components. Upto 2 billion investment in high skill jobs and in an area including Airbus and other associated industry.

We really need to get on with serving A50 and take a positiive approach to our future. The events of the last week have been very much in our favour and we must take advantage of them
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

London also has pre-existing infrastructure for companies like Google and Apple. That's probably the main decision to stay in London instead of shifting resources to Europe or some other part of the UK.
    I've heard you're a bit short of runways.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438

"This was a note intended primarily for internal audiences," - what are the secondary purposes of the note? Who are the internal audiences? Audiences is plural.

"It was not commissioned by the Cabinet Office, nor any other government department" - commissioned by whom? A government minister? Is no. 10 a government department?

" and represents a view of the task facing Whitehall." - does not suggest the view is wrong.

"This work was conducted without access to No. 10" - so there was access from the Cabinet Office and other government departments?

"or input from any other government departments," - input is different from access. Did No. 10 input into the memo?
  • Options
    Deloittes in de toilet?

"May attacks leaked Brexit memo
    Theresa May has launched an excoriating attack on one of the world's biggest consultancy firms over a leaked memo, accusing it of "touting for business"......
    The Prime Minister's official spokeswoman said that the author of the memo is not working for the Government and dismissed the document as "unsolicited".
    She said: "It's an unsolicited document that has had nothing to do with Government at all. It has not been commissioned by the Government. It hasn't been distributed widely across Government. It does seem as though this is a firm touting for business aided by the media.
    "I struggle to understand how one individual who has never met the Prime Minister or any members of her team can then decide that the timetable is false or different."
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/15/theresa-may-brexit-leaked-memo-john-mcdonnell-live/
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Let the raging begin
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

I've heard you're a bit short of runways.
    Demolish Luton.
  • Options

I

"b
    Y

I'm off.

There was no need to respond to that gracious post with sarcasm.

But you must have the last word, mustn't you?

Given I work in the industry you've always wanted to work in, you'd think you'd conduct yourself with more courtesy towards me. I've always respected your abilities, and had toyed with the idea of seeing what I could do to arrange introductions in the infrastructure/construction industry, because you are clearly very talented.

But, because of your behaviour on here, I am disinclined to do so now.
    Wow. Just wow. Please just think about what you wrote, and the way it sounds.

A hint: courtesy works both ways: you might like to think back to a PM you sent me a while back and the reasons for it.

As for getting a job: I daresay I'll muddle along without your largesse, just as I have throughout my life.

Goodbye everyone. May the bets be profitable!
  • Options
    @MaxPB Well yes, and the agglomeration economics probably help a lot too. But I'm not going to pass up an opportunity like that.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Just think - six months ago David Cameron was at the peak of his powers, and Clinton looked like a shoo in for POTUS !

I don't think we need to worry too much about Dave:

https://twitter.com/msnuk/status/798594053701062657

• Options

I

"b
    Y

I'm off.

"A
    T
    Wow. Just wow. Please just think about what you wrote, and the way it sounds.

A hint: courtesy works both ways: you might like to think back to a PM you sent me a while back and the reasons for it.

As for getting a job: I daresay I'll muddle along without your largesse, just as I have throughout my life.

Goodbye everyone. May the bets be profitable!
    That's ok. I think we understand where we both stand now. I won't be sending you any more PMs, I can assure you.

Thank you for making it easy for me.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited November 2016
    Typed in 'Bannon', just to see how PB has reacted to his appointment. Not surprised at all to see how his appointment went down here. I think Trump could appoint the grand duke wizard of the KKK to be his chief of staff, and the first thing some on this site would be thinking of is 'how much does this annoy the left/only the left will be upset by this'.

Also, I have to laugh at how calling Michelle Obama an 'ape' is considered only 'bitchy'. As if there isn't a racist history behind referring to Black people as apes/monkeys....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,162

Pulpstar said:

I don't think we need to worry too much about Dave:
    He must have created a new market in demoralisational speaking.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,233

weejonnie said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Take me home, country roads...

After Donald Trump’s election as president, Pamela Ramsey Taylor, director of the Clay County Development Corp., took to Facebook to comment on the upcoming shift from Obama to Melania Trump, reportedly writing: “It will be so refreshing to have a classy, beautiful, dignified First Lady back in the White House. I’m tired of seeing a Ape in heels.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/11/14/ape-in-heels-w-va-officials-under-fire-after-comments-about-michelle-obama/?postshare=1241479225376765&tid=ss_tw

Wow. I mean, wow.
    Even if it was not intended to be racially derogatory (which I doubt) it's still an awful comment to describe any woman as an "ape".
    Absolutely. The fact that Michelle Obama is classy, beautiful and dignified really does not come into it. In this country I think this would be prosecutable. A sick, sick individual.
    I wouldn't want it to be prosecutable, because it's good for people like Pamela Taylor to show themselves in their true colours. Such a comment says far more about her than anyone else could.
    From what I could pick up, I thought Michelle Obama had done some good work for women's rights and education. Ad hominem or bitchy comments should be beneath opponents. Regrettably we are getting a lot from the Democrats because that is what they do and from the Republicans because it is payback time.

Calling a black woman an ape goes well beyond bitchy.

It is utterly revolting. And quite genuinely shocking. (And I'm not easily shocked.)

Michelle Obama has been the epitome of a classy, dignified and beautiful First Lady. As far as I know she appears not to have put a foot wrong. But even if she weren't any of those things, one simply does not talk about people in such a way.
  • Options

Also, I have to laugh at how calling Michelle Obama an 'ape' is considered only 'bitchy'. As if there isn't a racist history behind referring to Black people as apes/monkeys....

Yes, that wasn't a majority view on here.
  • Options

Typed in 'Bannon', just to see how PB has reacted to his appointment. Not surprised at all to see how his appointment went down here. I think Trump could appoint the grand duke wizard of the KKK to be his chief of staff, and the first thing some on this site would be thinking of is 'how much does this annoy the left/only the left will be upset by this'.

I'm interested in the first bit. Can you search a PB thread for a key word? How? That would be really useful.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yes, that wasn't a majority view on here.
    I know, I didn't say it was. I'm still shocked that one person seriously said that, though.
This discussion has been closed.