Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters not totally convinced that Theresa will meet her Artic

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,100

Curse of the new thread. FPT:

williamglenn said:

"The person who wrote it disagrees."

Angels on pinhead territory. Either the law of the land is that Parliament has to approve triggering Article 50, or it doesn't. If the Govt. wins its appeal, then Parliament has no role in the process. If the Govt. loses and has to get the approval of Parliament, then Article 50 still gets triggered, because Labour has said it will not block the will of the people, which is to leave the EU.

Once it is triggered, you are looking at some Black Swan to slow the process of leaving. It will happen in 2019. UK politics dictates that it will happen. Anybody getting in the way will be crushed by the voters. That is the practical situation.

Stopping Article 50 is based on pie on the sky wishes. Delaying its implementation, likewise.

Possible legal outcomes are one thing. The practical politics of it, quite another. People had a chance to stop Brexit. That ended on 23rd June, when they lost the argument with the voters.

But what Brexit means was not decided by the referendum.
    No. But what was decided was Brexit. We're going out.
    Yes, but then we get onto defining what 'out' means.

For many Brexiters, 'out' means no EEA, no payments to the EU (after all, the NHS needs all that money) and for the UK to be dragged halfway across the Atlantic.

To other Brexiters, 'out' means being part of the EEA and many other organisations, including payments to the hated EU.

Thee two views are irreconcilable.
  • Options

I think that FT letter is rather good. you can disagree with it while accepting it's a few levels above the usual Remain whine.

Given the lack of logic in the letter let's hope he doesn't work as a systems analyst or engineer.
    Never forget: there are 16 million traitors that Boris, Nigel & other patriots have yet to suppress. In the national interest, of course. They could start by being character witnesses for Thomas Mair - but will they have the guts?
    I favour rounding them all up on the Western Hebrides, which will coincidentally be a testing ground for Trident II.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    The Don brings up a (plausible but unlikely) counterfactual to the PV question.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/798519600413601792
  • Options
    I think he knows exactly what hes doing by leaving Florida in !
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

Scott_P said:
    "We" are 40-something, soft-left, very middle class, slightly-ashamed-to-be-English, ex-Blairite/New Labourites then.

Pretty much the core of the Remain vote.
    A little unfair...I am and know of plenty of Tory supporting Remainers who voted that way not out of any love for the EU but because of economic concerns and the potential for chaos post Referendum.
    Those worries are hardly being assuaged by a government that appears to be approaching Brownian levels of inertia and incompetence, concerns all the more heightened by the imbeciles in opposition.

That said the letter is nauseating and personally I'd rather stab my bollocks with a rusty scalpel than be described as one of the 48.
  • Options

williamglenn said:

Angels on pinhead territory. Either the law of the land is that Parliament has to approve triggering Article 50, or it doesn't. If the Govt. wins its appeal, then Parliament has no role in the process. If the Govt. loses and has to get the approval of Parliament, then Article 50 still gets triggered, because Labour has said it will not block the will of the people, which is to leave the EU.

Once it is triggered, you are looking at some Black Swan to slow the process of leaving. It will happen in 2019. UK politics dictates that it will happen. Anybody getting in the way will be crushed by the voters. That is the practical situation.

Stopping Article 50 is based on pie on the sky wishes. Delaying its implementation, likewise.

Possible legal outcomes are one thing. The practical politics of it, quite another. People had a chance to stop Brexit. That ended on 23rd June, when they lost the argument with the voters.

For many Brexiters, 'out' means no EEA, no payments to the EU (after all, the NHS needs all that money) and for the UK to be dragged halfway across the Atlantic.

To other Brexiters, 'out' means being part of the EEA and many other organisations, including payments to the hated EU.

Nope. They are both reconciled by the fact we would no longer be part of the EU.

Politically, all the UK Government needs to do is demonstrate a net sovereignty improvement over Cameron's deal that they can then sell to the voters.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I'll say it now, this bill will be as unamendable as the Titanic was unsinkable

It will be amendable. Bigly amendable.
    Of course it will, in theory. And no doubt the opposition parties, and perhaps some on the Tory side, will try to amend it.

Whether it is amendable in practice depends on politics rather than procedure. But even there, it wouldn't be sustainable to call a general election if the Bill's one clause:

(1) The Secretary of State shall have the authority to notify the European Council of the United Kingdom's intention to withdraw from the EU as required by Article 50 of the TEU.

Were amended to add, for example, "... subject to the prior assent of the House of Commons". The extent to which the government could use threats to prevent amendment would depend on how justifiable the amendments would look to the public.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

Scott_P said:
    "We" are 40-something, soft-left, very middle class, slightly-ashamed-to-be-English, ex-Blairite/New Labourites then.

A little unfair...I am and know of plenty of Tory supporting Remainers who voted that way not out of any love for the EU but because of economic concerns and the potential for chaos post Referendum.
    Those worries are hardly being assuaged by a government that appears to be approaching Brownian levels of inertia and incompetence, concerns all the more heightened by the imbeciles in opposition.

That said the letter is nauseating and personally I'd rather stab my bollocks with a rusty scalpel than be described as one of the 48.
    I was referring to how the author saw himself and others like him.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Thee two views are irreconcilable. ''

One kills off UKIP. The other allows them to scream betrayal in marginal constituencies led by a man who has the ear of the world's most powerful leader.

What would you do?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Politically, all the UK Government needs to do is demonstrate a net sovereignty improvement over Cameron's deal that they can then sell to the voters.

Some of the voters. Not all of them, and not nearly 52%
  • Options

williamglenn said:

Nope. They are both reconciled by the fact we would no longer be part of the EU.

That's your view, as one of the second group. Many (most?) of the first group wouldn't agree. And therein lies the problem.

Selling any deal where we remain in some EU or European institutions - and especially pay into it - will be really difficult. Perhaps impossibly so.

It's a mess, and I don't see any easy solutions. I daresay you do, but you're not being realistic IMO.
  • Options
    Meanwhile at Holyrood...

@BBCPhilipSim: SNP ask what the Tories really want from Brexit. Tories ask what SNP really want from Brexit. Now an SNP MSP asks what Labour really want...
  • Options
    taffys said:

One kills off UKIP. The other allows them to scream betrayal in marginal constituencies led by a man who has the ear of the world's most powerful leader.

What would you do?

Cameron had the ear of the world's most powerful leader, didn't do him much good.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    OGH needs to amend his thread text. The alleged "report" was written by bean-counters at Deloitte presumably to justify their need to act as consultants.
  • Options
    taffys said:

What would you do?

I'm reluctantly for Quexit - whatever deal we can do the quickest, or none. The US election has just reinforced the necessity.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468
    edited November 2016
    Scott_P said:

Meanwhile at Holyrood...

@BBCPhilipSim: SNP ask what the Tories really want from Brexit. Tories ask what SNP really want from Brexit. Now an SNP MSP asks what Labour really want...

"I wanna, (ha) I wanna, (ha) I wanna, (ha) I wanna, (ha)
    I wanna really, really, really wanna zigazig ah"

:lol:
  • Options

williamglenn said:

Easy peasy, blue passports should do it then?
  • Options
    HS2 Northern routes announced:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37981840

Somewhat different to what SK Baker drew on his 2015 railway atlas, but he had a good enough guess!
  • Options
    @PickardJE: Number 10 says May's white paper on industrial strategy won't be published til next year: "No sense of urgency," says one industry source.

Long grass?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The Don brings up a (plausible but unlikely) counterfactual to the PV question.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/798519600413601792

He just contradicts himself totally shamelessly.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Putting those two statements from Boris together, is the negotiating position, "If you want to keep us in the customs union you need to give us a concession on free movement."

How long before No 10 "clarifies" his remarks?
    It's like having Geoff Boycott as foreign secretary.
    How very dare you. Sir Geoffrey would have dead-batted much more effectively.
    "It's not cricket, is that!"
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,149

taffys said:

What would you do?

I'm reluctantly for Quexit
    An abdication crisis is the last thing we need.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

//twitter.com/doctor_oxford/status/798523007371276288

We is the 52%!
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: Number 10 says May's white paper on industrial strategy won't be published til next year: "No sense of urgency," says one industry source.

Long grass?

If there was an easy to implement 'industrial strategy' then it would have been done by now.

In last nights speech May seemed to think bribing Nissan to stay in Sunderland and opening a centre to repair and maintain US built F-35 aircraft in North Wales was evidence of an industrial strategy so I don't think we should expect any deep thinking from her on this matter.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,413
    On 23rd November, that is a week tomorrow, our slightly depressed bank manager needs to give his Autumn Statement. It is profoundly sub-optimal that this Statement should be given in the current morass of uncertainty. The failure of Mrs May's government to have a plan, an objective, even an idea of where it is going or even where it wants to go is going to catch up with her in a serious way.

Are we really supposed to go on like this until March next year and beyond? Being PM is a lot harder than David Cameron made it look.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

On 23rd November, that is a week tomorrow, our slightly depressed bank manager needs to give his Autumn Statement. It is profoundly sub-optimal that this Statement should be given in the current morass of uncertainty. The failure of Mrs May's government to have a plan, an objective, even an idea of where it is going or even where it wants to go is going to catch up with her in a serious way.

Are we really supposed to go on like this until March next year and beyond? Being PM is a lot harder than David Cameron made it look.

Trump will find the same about the Presidency !
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Trump will find the same about the Presidency !
    Undoubtedly.
  • Options
    Mr. L, I largely agree but it's worth noting Cameron gave May (to use a rugby term) a full-blown hospital pass.

Cameron and Osborne forbidden *any* preparatory work by the Civil Service was a serious dereliction of duty.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Scott_P said:

Long grass?

If there was an easy to implement 'industrial strategy' then it would have been done by now.

In last nights speech May seemed to think bribing Nissan to stay in Sunderland and opening a centre to repair and maintain US built F-35 aircraft in North Wales was evidence of an industrial strategy so I don't think we should expect any deep thinking from her on this matter.
    With the benefit of any sight at all (fore, hind, take your pick) signing up to the Strike Price agreed at Hinkley Point might be thought inimical to having an industrial policy based on having major consumers of energy in the UK.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    UK housebuilding rises to highest level for eight years - FT.
  • Options
    Hillary got double trolled today:

Obama: Iowa Hillary, I won there despite it being white as snow. Because I actually went there, and I'm good at this stuff.

Trump: If it was based on popular vote, I'd have made a real effort in Florida.
  • Options

Mr. L, I largely agree but it's worth noting Cameron gave May (to use a rugby term) a full-blown hospital pass.

Cameron and Osborne forbidden *any* preparatory work by the Civil Service was a serious dereliction of duty.

Much though I liked them I can't argue with that.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Pulpstar said:

Obama: Iowa Hillary, I won there despite it being white as snow. Because I actually went there, and I'm good at this stuff.

Well she was a bit shit wasn't she.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    taffys said:

Judging by the FTs latest account of the EU's negotiating stance, it and the British government won;t be on the same planet.

It really is quite extraordinary.

Both sides are enjoying the psychological trick of anchoring. I wouldn't pay the slightest bit of notice. In all probability:

There will be controls on low skilled immigration
    There will payments to the EU
    There will be largely free access to the single market
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    edited November 2016
    @marqueemark FPT you are not a sneerer, your style is more sudden lunge and withdraw. I don't mind that, because you are prepared for give and take. What I object to is the constant belittling of liberals by rightwingers who just push past everyone they disagree with, telling us we are wrong and that it is weak to care about others and that any opinions they don't like are not allowed and have to be silenced.

None of that has any effect on liberals by the way. We used to just roll our eyes and get on with whatever we were doing. These days I think we need to fight back and make it clearer that we won't be bullied into submission.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Alot in the Parliamentary Labour party would kill to have someone of her very modest ability in charge now though :D
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,612
    edited November 2016

Yes Mr Dancer, Brexit is a hospital pass for the country.

Should have listened to Dave and George and voted Remain.

Voting to Leave is liking Carthage declaring war on Rome, you're asking a humiliating defeat, especially if your leaders like Hannibal and Mrs May are a bit crap
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

Judging by the FTs latest account of the EU's negotiating stance, it and the British government won;t be on the same planet.

Both sides are enjoying the psychological trick of anchoring. I wouldn't pay the slightest bit of notice. In all probability:

But what will it be called?

May I propose Dave-o-Max?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Alot in the Parliamentary Labour party would kill to have someone of her very modest ability in charge now though :D
    Nah. She's a woman.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

Will the tabloids be happy with that?

• Options
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Nah. She's a woman.
    If Owen Smith is the answer, ...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468
    edited November 2016

Voting to Leave is liking Carthage declaring war on Rome, you're asking a humiliating defeat, especially if your leaders like Hannibal and Mrs May are a bit crap
    LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

:innocent:
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Who?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Nah. She's a woman.
    A lot of people think Owen Thingy was a failure, but if he hadn't stepped in there was a real risk Labour might have ended up with a female leader, and then were would we be?! ;)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Pulpstar said:

Who?
    Corbyn 62%
    Smith 38%

• Options

The exact course of Brexit is a political decision based on trade-offs between mutually exclusive priorities.

Cameron and Osborne could have spent 2 years having the civil service prepare for an EEA Brexit and then their successors could have ripped that up in their first week in office because they didn't like the lack of control of immigration that resulted in.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Trump has today taken trolling to Kungfu Panda level by saying he'll reinstate Churchill's bust in the Oval Office!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Pulpstar said:

Who?
    Corbyn 62%
    Smith 38%

Most of that 38% (Well the ones I've met/know) thought Owen Smith was dire too.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Trump has today taken trolling to Kungfu Panda level by saying he'll reinstate Churchill's bust in the Oval Office!

Which one? Apparently he can't have the original one
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

The exact course of Brexit is a political decision based on trade-offs between mutually exclusive priorities.

Cameron and Osborne could have spent 2 years having the civil service prepare for an EEA Brexit and then their successors could have ripped that up in their first week in office because they didn't like the lack of control of immigration that resulted in.
    Maybe but they would have had a shopping list of the issues to be dealt with, the decisions to be made, the options that were possible, the likely trade offs, the basis for an informed discussion and a framework within which to make those decisions.

I have some sympathy for May in that respect but it is wearing a tad thin...
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Pulpstar said:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/no-donald-trump-wont-returning-9251835
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Pulpstar said:

Question: on the whole, has Obama been a friend to the UK?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Maybe but they would have had a shopping list of the issues to be dealt with, the decisions to be made, the options that were possible, the likely trade offs, the basis for an informed discussion and a framework within which to make those decisions.

But if that list takes 30,000 staff and five years to compile...
  • Options
    Obama told them all to vote !

Seems they didn't listen.
  • Options

Has he been more or less friendly than Merkel, or Hollande?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

Will the tabloids be happy with that?

It's the 70% answer.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,995

Yet we did it, and now we have to get on with it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

Pulpstar said:

Who?
    Corbyn 62%
    Smith 38%

And yet £87 wants to back him at 30.0 to be Next Labour Leader. Should be 300
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    JonathanD said:

Patrick said:

Pulpstar said:

LOL.

Obama says:"Right outside the door of the Treaty Room, so that I see it every day - including on weekends when I'm going into that office to watch a basketball game - the primary image I see is a bust of Winston Churchill," he said.

"It's there voluntarily because I can do anything on the second floor. I love the guy."

In what way does he *love* the guy, on the floor he can do *anything* on? ;)
  • Options

Scott_P said:

We are whining Remainers.................
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

Pulpstar said:

Who?
    Corbyn 62%
    Smith 38%

And yet £87 wants to back him at 30.0 to be Next Labour Leader. Should be 300
    I have £3 waiting at 200.0 :)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

But if that list takes 30,000 staff and five years to compile...
    Well it wouldn't and it won't (unless you can get them all on Deloittes' charge out rates in which case why not?)

Lao-Tzu allegedly said that "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step".

So let it be with Brexit. It is now past time those kitten heels got walking.
  • Options
    Take me home, country roads...

After Donald Trump’s election as president, Pamela Ramsey Taylor, director of the Clay County Development Corp., took to Facebook to comment on the upcoming shift from Obama to Melania Trump, reportedly writing: “It will be so refreshing to have a classy, beautiful, dignified First Lady back in the White House. I’m tired of seeing a Ape in heels.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/11/14/ape-in-heels-w-va-officials-under-fire-after-comments-about-michelle-obama/?postshare=1241479225376765&tid=ss_tw
  • Options

Patrick said:

Pulpstar said:

Back of the bus, I mean queue!
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Patrick said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, it's not in the Oval Office ;)
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited November 2016
    rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

There will (be) payments to the EU
    I did think that a few months ago but the people running the EU are just so dogmatically stupid that it looks more like an exit on WTO terms. We should therefore prepare for it.
  • Options

After Donald Trump’s election as president, Pamela Ramsey Taylor, director of the Clay County Development Corp., took to Facebook to comment on the upcoming shift from Obama to Melania Trump, reportedly writing: “It will be so refreshing to have a classy, beautiful, dignified First Lady back in the White House. I’m tired of seeing a Ape in heels.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/11/14/ape-in-heels-w-va-officials-under-fire-after-comments-about-michelle-obama/?postshare=1241479225376765&tid=ss_tw

Wow. I mean, wow.
  • Options
    That is so funny.
  • Options

Disgusting :o
  • Options
    MrsB said:

@marqueemark FPT you are not a sneerer, your style is more sudden lunge and withdraw. I don't mind that, because you are prepared for give and take. What I object to is the constant belittling of liberals by rightwingers who just push past everyone they disagree with, telling us we are wrong and that it is weak to care about others and that any opinions they don't like are not allowed and have to be silenced.

You describe yourself as a liberal. Do you hold with the views of classical liberals who believe that it is in the common interest that all individuals must be able to secure their own economic self-interest, without government direction? (Adam Smith)
  • Options

Scott_P said:

We are whining Remainers.................
    "Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way."
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,612
    edited November 2016
    Jeez, what a narcissistic knob the disgraced Liam Fox is

So, what are the current batch of civil servants getting up to? Well, over in the Department for International Trade, Mr S understands that reading is high on the agenda. Word reaches Steerpike that Liam Fox has instructed his civil servants to read Rising Tides: Facing the Challenges of a New Era — a book that aims to explain ‘how to meet the challenge of the new global reality’. And which bright spark is the author of the tome? A man by the name of… Liam Fox. Well, that’s one way to increase book sales.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/11/liam-fox-throws-book-civil-servants/
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Facebook is the epitome of leftist 20-something etc etc, not in Breitbart not true etc etc. Just helping the usual suspect(s) here with their justification.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

FOI. Cameron feared FOI requests from the Leave campaign. Deloitte was probably used to get round FOI as well, along with various unofficial email servers around the world.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

There will (be) payments to the EU
    I did think that a few months ago but the people running the EU are just so dogmatically stupid that it looks more like an exit on WTO terms. We should therefore prepare for it.
    We need to prepare for WTO, obviously. Not least because without doing that our leverage is limited.

But I think it's important to remember that the real negotiations happen with the countries. The EU doesn't get a vote.

Really, the question is can we cut a deal with the Spanish, the French, the Italians, the Germans and the Dutch? None of those countries wants to reach into their pockets if they can possibly avoid it. So, I'd say yes we can.
  • Options
    matt said:

Facebook is the epitome of leftist 20-something etc etc, not in Breitbart not true etc etc. Just helping the usual suspect(s) here with their justification.
    Yup. Shouting 'waycist'. It's a PC huff puff.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

MrsB said:

You describe yourself as a liberal. Do you hold with the views of classical liberals who believe that it is in the common interest that all individuals must be able to secure their own economic self-interest, without government direction? (Adam Smith)
    Liberal in the last 20th/early 20th century standard European-use meaning has come to suggest watery socialism. Which you are no doubt aware.
  • Options
    Off-topic: an interesting new theory 'solves' the dark matter problem of gravity. By saying that gravity is *not* a fundamental force.

http://phys.org/news/2016-11-theory-gravity-dark.html

If right, it may solve some of the problems facing physics. And probably create new ones at the same time ...
  • Options

So, what are the current batch of civil servants getting up to? Well, over in the Department for International Trade, Mr S understands that reading is high on the agenda. Word reaches Steerpike that Liam Fox has instructed his civil servants to read Rising Tides: Facing the Challenges of a New Era — a book that aims to explain ‘how to meet the challenge of the new global reality’. And which bright spark is the author of the tome? A man by the name of… Liam Fox. Well, that’s one way to increase book sales.

As Liam Fox writes in the introduction:

All of the information in this book is open-sourced and readily available for anyone with a computer and a search engine. In fact, anyone with an interest in any of these subjects could have written this book; I hope I have saved some people the trouble.

A veritable one man aggregator.
  • Options

MrsB said:

I didn't know Smith wanted to decriminalize theft...

• Options
    edited November 2016

Off-topic: an interesting new theory 'solves' the dark matter problem of gravity. By saying that gravity is *not* a fundamental force.

If right, it may solve some of the problems facing physics. And probably create new ones at the same time ...

Hard to tell if either of his articles linked are actually peer-reviewed.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,751

As Liam Fox writes in the introduction:

All of the information in this book is open-sourced and readily available for anyone with a computer and a search engine. In fact, anyone with an interest in any of these subjects could have written this book; I hope I have saved some people the trouble.

A veritable one man aggregator.
    A true icon for our very own ScottP.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I'm not sure Flaminius, Marcellus or Paullus would agree with your assessment of Hannibal's capabilities.
  • Options
    Skimming further, Liam Fox offers the searing insight that the process of globalisation began when the inhabitants of Africa wandered off to find new lands.

His version of the Leadsomesque 'as a mother' is 'as a doctor'.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited November 2016
    This isn't a market I'm playing. If it were, I think I'd prefer to be backing "before end June 2017". Theresa May will lack credibility if she doesn't do it by her self-imposed deadline of 31 March 2017 unless she is legally lacking the power to do so. So if the government wins in the Supreme Court, we'll see an early declaration.

If the government doesn't win in the Supreme Court, I don't expect to see the Article 50 Bill held up long in the House of Commons. Would the House of Lords seek to stall it? That doesn't look anything like a 40% chance to me, given the public pronouncements so far.

That said, I expect Theresa May would welcome additional time to prepare for the two year negotiation period. So maybe she will be dragging her kitten heels behind the scenes.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, I'm not sure Flaminius, Marcellus or Paullus would agree with your assessment of Hannibal's capabilities.

Mr Dancer, to put it into terms you might understand.

Winning a battle here and there is a bit like winning an F1 Grand Prix.

Wars are like F1 championships, they are what the true greats are judged on.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,925
    Punters wishful thinking again?
  • Options

Much as I like physics, more engineering ought to be the focus.

Particularly on mahoosive rockets.

Some research into the properties of oxygen and helium at low temperatures would be handy mind ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Hard to tell if either of his articles linked are actually peer-reviewed.
    I don't know. The problem is that his theory seems at least as plausible / stupid as the current sillystring theory and the miraculously missing and undetectable dark matter.
  • Options

This isn't a market I'm playing. If it were, I think I'd prefer to be backing "before end June 2017". Theresa May will lack credibility if she doesn't do it by her self-imposed deadline of 31 March 2017 unless she is legally lacking the power to do so. So if the government wins in the Supreme Court, we'll see an early declaration.

If the government doesn't win in the Supreme Court, I don't expect to see the Article 50 Bill held up long in the House of Commons. Would the House of Lords seek to stall it? That doesn't look anything like a 40% chance to me, given the public pronouncements so far.

That said, I expect Theresa May would welcome additional time to prepare for the two year negotiation period. So maybe she will be dragging her kitten heels behind the scenes.

A few fun betting markets would be

1) When/if the Article 50 bill is passed in the Commons

2) How large the majority approving Article 50 in the Commons is.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I think that FT letter is rather good. you can disagree with it while accepting it's a few levels above the usual Remain whine.

I noticed the writer included a definitive article for civil service ("we are the civil service") while he didn't for the others.
  • Options

williamglenn said:

Easy peasy, blue passports should do it then?
    Jokes aside, blue passports are an item that Hannan strongly suggested to Cameron that he make part of his renegotiation.

It sounds silly, but symbols matter. Whilst costing very little it would have been a potent symbol to voters that the UK was no longer part of ever closer union.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Some of the voters. Not all of them, and not nearly 52%
    Wrong, as usual. A clear majority of voters would be satisfied with that. For now.

You forget: only 48% of voters were satisfied with Cameron's deal, which was supposed to be even better than the status quo.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

In fairness I suppose if a minister wants his civil servants to understand his thinking getting them to read his book might make sense.

Which is not the same as saying Liam Fox isn't a narcissistic knob, of course.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Mr Dancer, to put it into terms you might understand.

Winning a battle here and there is a bit like winning an F1 Grand Prix.

Wars are like F1 championships, they are what the true greats are judged on.
    I now have the image of Hannibal's elephants on wet-weather tyres....
  • Options
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, not my forte, but isn't gravity one of the four basic forces in the universe?

Mr. Eagles, here and there? He stomped around Italy for over a decade. He had the most audacious march in history, the most devastating ambush in history and the most crushing battlefield victory in history.
This discussion has been closed.