Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s bumper polling night – all the main online firms

Comments

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

(I doubt anyone really has interest in the British vs. Saxon fights) could someone please explain exactly what those were? The term "British" didn't exist until James VI and I described himself as king of Great Britain in 1603 and politically it didn't exist until 1707. There was a collection of separate kingdoms in what is now England created after the Romans departed in the early 5th century.

The Anglo-Saxon kingdoms went well north of present day England ,

" Great Anglo-Saxon kings included Offa of Mercia (who built Offa's Dyke) and Edwin of Northumbria (who founded Edinburgh or 'Edwin's burh')."
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Opinium for Observer LDs down to 6%

ComRes LDs 8%

Clegg doing well then.

:)
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,030
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Morris Dancer - Well a good guess, most UK re-enactments are either Civil War or War of the Roses

To be fair, apart from Sedgemoor, Hastings, Stamford Bridge and the various Jacobite incursions there aren't that many other battles on British soil... (I doubt anyone really has interest in the British vs. Saxon fights)
    Pardon?

There are loads of different battles on British soil excluding those you have mentioned and the ECW and WoR battles. Look up about the Baron's Wars or the medieval battles involving Simon De Montfort. There are dozens and dozens of medieval battles along the border with Scotland as well as the campaigns against the welsh or the various rebellions and uprisings in England throughout the medieval and Tudor periods.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793

Guido has some interesting government statements re Plain Fag packs.. Labour government that is.

Andy Burnham:

"However, as yet, no studies have shown that introducing plain packaging of tobacco products would cut the number of young people smoking, or enable people who want to quit, to do so. Given the impact that plain packaging would have on intellectual property rights, we would need strong and convincing evidence showing the health benefits of this policy before it would be acceptable at an international level.”

http://www.tessajowell.net/uploads/22c61588-4799-bcf4-f1f7-c20ab4661d68.pdf

Alan Johnson:

" I have to say, however, that despite the fact that the right hon. Gentleman is quite right about the huge response in favour of plain packaging, there is no evidence base that it actually reduces the number of young children smoking. We want to keep that under review, and when there is an evidence base for it, it could well be another important measure to meet our goal, which is to reduce the number of young people smoking."

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200809/cmhansrd/cm081216/debtext/81216-0001.htm#08121646000017
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    I do find Gove's figures intriguing:

WIth Cons - 28/25, net +5%

I'd really like to ask those others why - going to far? Not going far enough? Wrong image? Etc. etc.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Plato said:

George Eaton @georgeeaton
    Lib Dems on just 6% in Opinium/Observer poll. Joint lowest rating since 1989.

(In My View ©OGH) You'd need a heart of stone not to laugh.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Fitalass and |Plato with the same message within minutes. CCHQ is paying overtime for Saturday and evening hours.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,008
    Re: plain fag packs. Given that they now have to have pics of dead people/diseased lungs on them, I very much doubt changing the colour of the remaining 1/10th of the packet from a shiny blue to a olive green (as in Australia) will make one iota of difference to someone who wants to smoke. Teens don't want to start smoking because the packet is shiny.
  • Options

(I doubt anyone really has interest in the British vs. Saxon fights) could someone please explain exactly what those were? The term "British" didn't exist until James VI and I described himself as king of Great Britain in 1603 and politically it didn't exist until 1707. There was a collection of separate kingdoms in what is now England created after the Romans departed in the early 5th century.

The inhabitants of sub-Roman Britain post 410AD are normally referred to as Romano-British or more usually just British.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Fitalass and |Plato with the same message within minutes. CCHQ is paying overtime for Saturday and evening hours.

Or they both follow the same person on twitter and recognise it has the potential to be a big story. Now, anyone for toast?
  • Options

Bad news [f]or those betting on Andy Murray for SPOTY. Another poll reports strong opposition to him getting knighthood.26% FOR to 55% AGAINST

I don't agree, Mike. I think a lot of people take the attitude that knighthoods are for career achievements, and Murray is only 26 - underlining the difference between SPOTY and a knighthood.
  • Options

surbiton said:

I found a few incidents in the test match very disturbing. E.g.:

1. Broad - he who doesn't walk because he waits for the Umpire's decision. Fine. So why did he walk today ? The only conclusion can be that when he thinks he can get away with a decision in his favour, he doesn't walk.

2. Clarke - the only possible reason to ask for the review was taht he felt HotSpot will not show up the thin edge. In the process losing all the Aussie referrels.

1 ) Broad is clever.

2 ) Clarke is stupid.

That's my reading.

Surbiton.

I have to congratulate you. You remembered what was being said on TMS . I heard that too.

Moniker

Just remember Clarke failed to walk in 2010 and he clearly KNEW he was out..

I also remember Clarke failing to walk against India in Australia when he was caught in the slips.

I did not listen to TMS today.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,072
    Gove gets very bad press and his name is poison among a significant amount of the education establishment (though not universally), so it figures he would be rated so badly. Personally I like that he at least seems to have some idea of how to achieve things and make an impact. Hopefully that impact will prove positive overall.

I'm continually amazed at how low the LD figures drop. Sure, they will likely get much more in an actual election, but you'd think they'd hit the floor eventually, and they barely seem to pick up in the polls consistently even when they get out of the news.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

I'd really like to ask those others why - going to far? Not going far enough? Wrong image? Etc. etc.

The Minister of Silly Walks is indeed becoming a laughing stock. Changing examinations for the sake of changing. He thinks using words like "stick it" is very cool !
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Romano-British or Britons yes but British no. I agree with others, there were lots of battles of considerable interest throughout our islands and if history was taught properly in schools instead of the obsession with WWI and WWII more people might know about them and wish to celebrate them.

The term British is sometimes used to describe the ancient Britons, at least according to wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britons_(Celtic_people)

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Fairly sure many of those who oppose Andy Murray being knighted would have given a different response if his name had been Tim Henman.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. T, surely that's not Cimbrian as in the Cimbri tribe that thwarted the Romans in 3-4 battles before Marius finally beat them at Arausio?
  • Options
    Bit odd that ComRes didn't have Cleggy in the well/badly ratings though probably just as well for him.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Grandiose said:

The Minister of Silly Walks is indeed becoming a laughing stock. Changing examinations for the sake of changing. He thinks using words like "stick it" is very cool !
    His net -30 is still only two points lower than Miliband's and Balls' -28 and Osborne's -29. Safe to say, very few are covered in glory.
  • Options

Romano-British or Britons yes but British no. I agree with others, there were lots of battles of considerable interest throughout our islands and if history was taught properly in schools instead of the obsession with WWI and WWII more people might know about them and wish to celebrate them.

The term British is sometimes used to describe the ancient Britons, at least according to wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britons_(Celtic_people)

The fact that we talk about 'Romano-British' would seem to indicate that 'British is a valid term for the sub-Roman inhabitants.
  • Options
    According to Norman Davies (Vanished Kingdoms) William Wallace, when he wasn't wearing Pictish tattoos from a thousand years before he was born or tartan invented centuries later by the English, was known in his lifetime as William the Briton.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    surbiton said:

Awww, Surby are you feeling left out? Well this should cheer you up, a little titbit tucked away in the middle of that twitter sandwich from Harry Cole that Plato and I served up. xx

Twitter
    Harry Cole ‏@MrHarryCole 34m
    Could be busy last week of school for gov too. hearing some kind of major coalition row erupting. And potentch mini reshuffle. So drink up.

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited July 2013
    SeanT said:

BTW today I heard a lingo being spoken in real life - Cimbrian German - which has fewer than 300 native users. Can any pb-er beat that for linguistic rarity value in overheard obscure tongues?

I am not sure about speaker count, but I once attended a dinner in Helsinki where a guest was an academic studying early Mongolian language and culture.

He sang a number of songs in the Tuvan language using a technique known as "overtone singing" where the throat produces two distinct tones.

I haven't heard either Tuvan or throat singing since, but youtube delivers as always:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTCJ5hedcVA

Delightful, is it not?

It just needs more airtime.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Anyone seen this odd article from Tim Stanley?

For example, where or what is the Arsenal? And why do men who don’t even live there act like victory for "my team" is a matter of life and death? Sport turns everyone into animals; the football fans act without rhyme or reason. If they lose, they beat someone up. If they win, they beat someone up. Why not cut out the middleman and just have 2,000 men on a pitch hitting each other with clubs?

It’s made worse by the overuse of the word "historic". Man landing on the Moon is historic. The battle of Agincourt is historic. Andy Murray winning a tennis match is not historic. Nor is there any need to lionise people who can run very fast, jump quite high or swim quickly. Dogs, kangaroos and fish do these things every day of the week and no one’s offering them a knighthood.

Apparently he's only just realised that human beings and civilizations take sports and games much more seriously than their obvious worth would suggest?

And of course people winning tennis championships is historic. It's a rare accomplishment. Doesn't mean other things are not more important.

The heat getting to him, or just having a bit of fun?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/timstanley/100226273/rugby-isnt-a-game-its-an-assault-course-dreamt-up-by-a-sadist/
  • Options

Fairly sure many of those who oppose Andy Murray being knighted would have given a different response if his name had been Tim Henman.

I agree. Last year Wiggins got a Knighthood after having won Olympic Gold and also the premier event in his profession. Likewise Murray has won the Olympic Gold and two of the four premier events in his profession (Including the one that really mattered most to British fans). Much as I prefer cycling to tennis I can't really see why Murray would not deserve to be treated in the same way as Wiggins.
  • Options
    ComRes - Labour voters back Miliband's approach to the union issue by a 56-15 margin. (Not too bad among other parties, either.) Almost everyone believes "Trade Union members should pay membership fees to the Labour Party only if they individually choose to, rather than automatically be enrolled". However, Labour supporters do agree that "If Trade Union influence in the Labour Party is reduced, working class people will find it harder to have their views represented in Parliament" by a significant margin.

Just like PMQs, "If forced to choose, I would prefer that parties receive money from trade unions than from wealthy individual donors" is partisan and too close to call.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,083
    SeanT said:

BTW today I heard a lingo being spoken in real life - Cimbrian German - which has fewer than 300 native users. Can any pb-er beat that for linguistic rarity value in overheard obscure tongues?

IIRC an old school friend is literate in Aramaic

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    And one for the hot weather - be careful boys and your beach balls

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BPE0ggPCMAA2TeU.jpg:large
  • Options

I agree. Last year Wiggins got a Knighthood after having won Olympic Gold and also the premier event in his profession. Likewise Murray has won the Olympic Gold and two of the four premier events in his profession (Including the one that really mattered most to British fans). Much as I prefer cycling to tennis I can't really see why Murray would not deserve to be treated in the same way as Wiggins.
    I'm one who thinks Wiggins shouldn't have gotten a knighthood. As someone said below, it should be an end of career (or near to it at least) sort of thing I think. Since he did get it, whether that means Murray should get one as well I'm not sure.
  • Options

SeanT said:

I do know someone who can reel off a few lines in Hittite...
  • Options

Were similar polls done on Wiggins' knighthood. Perhaps they said the same thing, although the country was probably caught up in Olympic fervor.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I know someone who speaks some Sercquiais which is a dialect of Jèrriais (language of Sark, derived from the old language of Jersey). There are literally only a dozen speakers left.

That doesn't beat you, though, as your example seems to have been used in an everyday situation.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468
    SeanT said:

Wiki thinks there are about 2,220 native speakers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cimbrian_language
  • Options
    Interesting answer, Mr. T. Is there not some sort of movement to preserve the language?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Anyone seen this odd article from Tim Stanley?

For example, where or what is the Arsenal? And why do men who don’t even live there act like victory for "my team" is a matter of life and death?
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/timstanley/100226273/rugby-isnt-a-game-its-an-assault-course-dreamt-up-by-a-sadist/

I thought that it was established that it was more important than that!

• Options
    edited July 2013

According to Norman Davies (Vanished Kingdoms) William Wallace, when he wasn't wearing Pictish tattoos from a thousand years before he was born or tartan invented centuries later by the English, was known in his lifetime as William the Briton.

Isn't Wallace a variant of Welsh ? William Wallace meant William the Welshman.

It's notable the St Patrick was also a Welshman.

• Options
    kle4 said:

I'm one who thinks Wiggins shouldn't have gotten a knighthood. As someone said below, it should be an end of career (or near to it at least) sort of thing I think. Since he did get it, whether that means Murray should get one as well I'm not sure.
    Not sure where this idea comes from that Knighthoods should be awarded at the end of careers. That certainly doesn't appear to have been the case historically nor in the modern era.

Not seen many actors packing up just because they have been awarded a Knighthood. Same goes for most other walks of life.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Ah, but you have to HEAR it being spoken by native speakers, and hear it spoken naturally, for it to count. So you'd have to have heard it in a pub or street in.. Er.. Aramaia?

*checks atlas*
    Can't imagine that friend in a pub! Sorry.
  • Options
    Not sure, Miss DiCanio, but in that context Briton (Brythonic) and Welshmen have the same meaning.
  • Options

Isn't Wallace a variant of Welsh ? William Wallace meant William the Welshman.

I think in Saxon it means William the Foreigner. Waelesc, foreign

• Options
    Strathclyde was a Brythonic Kingdom and it also incorporated modern Cumbria. Cumbria is a variation of Cambria, the Latin name for Wales.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

kle4 said:

Not sure where this idea comes from that Knighthoods should be awarded at the end of careers. That certainly doesn't appear to have been the case historically nor in the modern era.

Not seen many actors packing up just because they have been awarded a Knighthood. Same goes for most other walks of life.
    Actors are different from sports people I think. I admit it's a double standard, but it's probably because we regard acting as a more dignified profession, that the adding of a knighthood adds gravitas, and in any case someone is much more likely to be of an age where they fit the idea of what we consider of a modern knight to be. Sportspeople in their mid 20s with more than a decade to go in their careers, just don't seem like they fit the knighthood thing.

It seems like it would be something mockworthy or embarrasing, a distraction. I can't find solid logic to explain that to myself, but it just feels much weirder to me.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    Remember Wiggins has 4 Olympic Gold Medals (over 3 Olympic Games).

So he is a borderline Knighthood just on his Olympic record even without the Tour de France.

Do with Tour de France it's a pretty clear cut case.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Ah, but you have to HEAR it being spoken by native speakers, and hear it spoken naturally, for it to count.

As I suspected, hence me ruling out Sercquiais as a rival. But if Sunil's 2.2k is a benchmark then I claim LLanito, my native language, which has approx 3k native speakers and is heard all of the time in everyday conversation.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

GeoffM said:

SeanT said:

I know someone who speaks some Sercquiais which is a dialect of Jèrriais (language of Sark, derived from the old language of Jersey). There are literally only a dozen speakers left.

That doesn't beat you, though, as your example seems to have been used in an everyday situation.
    Still bloody impressive though! A dozen speakers? Language is endlessly fascinating. We think languages only die in the rainforest or the himalayas, but it is happening right now in Europe.
    Did you know that in Puglia and Calabria there are still villages that speak dialects closely related to Ancient Greek ?

• Options
    "Michael Gove has worse figures than Osborne and Balls in the ComRes Well/Badly ratings. "

Might have something to do with him being a twit.

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    Two golf majors doesn't get a Knighthood so why should two tennis majors?

OK, Murray also has an Olympic Gold but on Knighthood criteria he is definitely miles behind Wiggins.

The really unfair thing is Kelly Holmes getting one and Mo Farah not. Men's athletics is far more competitive and the 5,000/10,000 double is one of the absolute classic Olympic achievements. Way, way, way ahead of Holmes.

And what about Seb Coe and Daley Thompson - both miles ahead of Holmes.

Seb Coe - double 1,500 Olympic champion (blue riband event) and 800 world record stood for nearly TWENTY YEARS - greatest athletic achievement by any living Briton.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,907
    Re Michael Gove; As a commentator on various arts programs he's not only extremely knowledgeable but genuinely perceptive and his allusions are very interesting. By contrast as a Minister he's just the most dislikable I can think of.

I'm struggling to know why. I'd have said that arrogance is attractive in an art critic in a way that it isn't in a Minister but he's actually relatively self effacing as a critic
  • Options
    Miss DiCanio, slang based on Viking words is still used in Yorkshire (lekking/laking = playing, for example).
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

"Michael Gove has worse figures than Osborne and Balls in the ComRes Well/Badly ratings. "

If that were the reason almost none of our political leaders would have good figures. Oh wait...

Gove's much better than some of those with better ratings in my book, I think his ministry is just one which is almost always high profile so he gets it worse, on top of people hating change in education on principle even if sometimes it's a good idea.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,010
    Was Sir Richard Hadlee the last cricketer to be knighted while still playing professionally?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Actors are different from sports people I think. I admit it's a double standard, but it's probably because we regard acting as a more dignified profession, that the adding of a knighthood adds gravitas, and in any case someone is much more likely to be of an age where they fit the idea of what we consider of a modern knight to be. Sportspeople in their mid 20s with more than a decade to go in their careers, just don't seem like they fit the knighthood thing.

It seems like it would be something mockworthy or embarrasing, a distraction. I can't find solid logic to explain that to myself, but it just feels much weirder to me.
    I think you've got that back-to-front, Richard. I'm not suggesting that when you're given a knighthood you should or would retire; but rather you should have a career rather than single achievement before you get it.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited July 2013
    We used to have a fellow 'round town who would occasionally "speak in tongues" as he walked. As a skeptic I would call that a one off. Wimp, or something, I never asked him about it, or about anything else for that matter.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Grandiose said:

I think you've got that back-to-front, Richard. I'm not suggesting that when you're given a knighthood you should or would retire; but rather you should have a career rather than single achievement before you get it.

Perhaps if he wins it twice more he can be enobled as Lord Murray of Wimbledon. On second thought, perhaps not -- that title is extant.
  • Options
    isam said:

Was Sir Richard Hadlee the last cricketer to be knighted while still playing professionally?

Random Pub Quiz Answer: The only cricketer to be knighted while still playing Test cricket was HH The Maharajkumar of Vizianagram (1905–1965), knighted in 1936 by King Edward VIII
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,312
    edited July 2013
    GeoffM said:

Random Pub Quiz Answer: The only cricketer to be knighted while still playing Test cricket was HH The Maharajkumar of Vizianagram (1905–1965), knighted in 1936 by King Edward VIII

And like quite a few India knights(sic), renounced it after Indian independence.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    If Wiki is to be believed, Papa New Guinea was expected to put in place it's own head of state upon independence, and so their constitution does not refer to keeping the monarchy, but one reason they didn't was to retain the British Honours system. Weird if it's true.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @GeoffM

BTW, Happy 300th Birthday to Gibraltar!
  • Options
    The greatness of Wales ;

Greatest Englishman , Henry Tudor , Welsh.

Greatest Irishman , St Patrick , Welsh.

Greatest Scotsman , William Wallace , Welsh.

The sole remaining question is ; who was the greatest Welshman ?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Edward I of England, who crushed Welsh independence finally, and forever.

Amazing he found the time, in between having his 16+ children.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited July 2013
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Ah, but you have to HEAR it being spoken by native speakers, and hear it spoken naturally, for it to count. So you'd have to have heard it in a pub or street in.. Er.. Aramaia?

*checks atlas*
    Good evening. So far in the polls UKIP keeping their end up.

A very interesting discussion on dissapearing languages. Aramaic was the native language of the Middle East, consisting of Syria, Palestine and a good part of asia-minor. It was the language that Jesus spoke as a lingua franca, Aramaic having superseded Hebrew and Greek spoken in the Maccabees era. Some early Copts spoke Aramaic as well as some Egyptians of the delta. Aramaic was still being spoken quite widely as the first Crusades were launched.

• Options
    Alfred was greater than Henry Tudor [in my admittedly ill-informed opinion].
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Morris Dancer - Well a good guess, most UK re-enactments are either Civil War or War of the Roses

To be fair, apart from Sedgemoor, Hastings, Stamford Bridge and the various Jacobite incursions there aren't that many other battles on British soil... (I doubt anyone really has interest in the British vs. Saxon fights)
    Sedgemoor?
    Worcester?

Worcester is the only battle on English soil to involve a river crossing during the actual battle!
    Sedgemoor I had. Wasn't Worcester Civil War?
    Stamford Bridge, 1066?

Had that one... unless Chelsea have had some fights I'm not aware of...

I forgot the English vs Welsh and English vs Scot fights though

Sunil - MM is Civil War as well.
    I presume you're counting the Civil as one big "battle"? If so apologies!
  • Options

He saved us from the Danes. Henry Tudor just 'saved' us from his own tenuous family dispute.

• Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    SeanT said:

The greatness of Wales ;

Nothing is forever.
  • Options

And like quite a few India knights(sic), renounced it after Indian independence.

I saw what you did there :)

• Options
    Mr. Dickson, surely obscurity?
  • Options

SeanT said:

The greatness of Wales ;

Nothing is forever.
    Sounds like a rebellion is in the works?

I always used to say the good thing about the welsh was that they knew they place - beneath an English boot. But I suppose thesedays you cannot rely on anything.
  • Options

I was converted by this ;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00d6zwt/Great_Lives_Series_16_Henry_VII/
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Wasn't Welsh the Saxon word for the Romano-Celtic people of these Islands?

That all these were referred to as Welsh does not mean they were Welsh in the modern sense.

St Patrick could as easily come from the West country or Lake district.

The greatness of Wales ;

• Options
    Greatest Englishman? Howard of Effingham? Defeated Spanish Armada.
  • Options

@GeoffM
    BTW, Happy 300th Birthday to Gibraltar!

Many thanks Sunil, although we marked the tercentenary in 2004 as that was 300 years from the year of capture. This anniversary is purely a second opportunity to have a party!
  • Options

Surely the greatest Englishman should have had numerous famous glories and a sustained impact on the realm over many years. We don't to get into an Andy Murray style argument on this issue!

• Options
    edited July 2013

Alfred was made king of only a small part of Southern England and didn't manage to overcome the Danes and danelaw but had to accomodate with them. It took the Norman invasion to wipe out Danish hegomony in England. Henry on the other hand was king of England and Wales and never burnt the cakes.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,624
    I can't believe no one has mentioned Ian Bell as the Greatest Englishman.

Though Horatio Nelson is a worthy contender, and he overcame the disadvantage of being a native of Norfolk.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    MikeK said:

Alfred was made king of only a small part of southern england and didn't manage to overcome the Danes and danelaw but had to accomodate with them. It took the Norman invasion to wipe out Danish hegomony in England. Henry on the other hand was king of England and Wales and never burnt the cakes.
    Alfred managed to stem the tide of the Danish advance, preserving a future English resurgence whereby his heirs established hegemony over the entire realm.

If we're going on how much territory they ruled, and not including the years of Empire, then it would have to be one of the Angevin kings I guess.

Is Wellignton ruled out for being Anglo-Irish?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    It's the boffins that get ignored. I nominate the Yorkshireman John Harrison (1693-1776) who perfected the marine chronometer necessary for accurate navigation.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    kle4 said:

Mick_Pork said:

Gove's much better than some of those with better ratings in my book
    There will be a few people who think Clegg does a good job too. The public doesn't agree though as this poll shows. Gove's a twit and he'll always be a twit.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    kle4 said:

Surely the greatest Englishman should have had numerous famous glories and a sustained impact on the realm over many years. We don't to get into an Andy Murray style argument on this issue!
    Deafeating the Armada was the single most important English victory in the country's entire history. It was arguably the only occasion when the very existence of the nation was in peril, and Effingham prevented that happening. (Despite a great deal of effort by the Scots trying to ensure a Spanish victory.)
  • Options
    So if things pan out, we're going to have 6 polls in 4/5 days.

Something for everyone I suspect.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Deafeating the Armada was the single most important English victory in the country's entire history. It was arguably the only occasion when the very existence of the nation was in peril, and Effingham prevented that happening. (Despite a great deal of effort by the Scots trying to ensure a Spanish victory.)
    Substitute Armada for Luftwaffe in the Battle of Britain?
  • Options
    Mr. Dickson, thank you for nominating Effingham. He must be the chap killed in the Blackadder episode when Blackadder becomes Minister for Religious Genocide.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

kle4 said:

Mick_Pork said:

Gove's much better than some of those with better ratings in my book
    There will be a few people who think Clegg does a good job too. The public doesn't agree though as this poll shows. Gove's a twit and he'll always be a twit.

I never claimed the public agreed with me. Nor does the fact they don't prove he is and always will be a twit. It might well be true, but what the public perception of someone is, including my own perception, probably bears little reference to the reality, and much more to do with political biases and spin.
  • Options
    Wasn't the Armada significantly hampered by the weather? Clearly God is the greatest Englishman.
  • Options
    I wonder when NOM is going to overtake LAB MAJ to become FAV? Pretty close now, with LAB MAJ lengthening at Betfair.

Next UK GE - best prices:

Lab Maj 6/4 (Betfair)
    NOM 13/8 (Ladbrokes)
    Con Maj 4/1 (Stan James; You Win)
  • Options
    edited July 2013

kle4 said:

The only occasion? Hardly. England has been successfully conquered by foreign forces on several occasions. The Armada was one of the more recent serious threats, but not unique in terms of threat posed. And wasn't the weather meant to be the major determining factor?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MikeK said:

Alfred was made king of only a small part of southern england and didn't manage to overcome the Danes and danelaw but had to accomodate with them. It took the Norman invasion to wipe out Danish hegomony in England. Henry on the other hand was king of England and Wales and never burnt the cakes.
    Alfred managed to stem the tide of the Danish advance, preserving a future English resurgence whereby his heirs established hegemony over the entire realm.

If we're going on how much territory they ruled, and not including the years of Empire, then it would have to be one of the Angevin kings I guess.

Is Wellignton ruled out for being Anglo-Irish?
    King Knut, was still mainly a Danish King despaite being called Anglo- Saxon in the Histories.
    It took William 1st to put paid to Harold who was seen as an userper by even many on his own side.

• Options
    kle4 said:

but what the public perception of someone is, including my own perception, probably bears little reference to the reality

It's almost like some kind of glorified popularity contest isn't it? Good luck changing that during an election.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, really? As in total conquest?

The Normans are the only ones who spring to mind. [Wasn't William of Orange invited and welcomed?]
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    The greatest Englishman?

The one and only Edward Longshanks!

He knew how to handle Celts.
    kle4 said:

• Options
    RobD said:

Wasn't the Armada significantly hampered by the weather? Clearly God is the greatest Englishman.

God is also a Yorkshireman.

• Options
    RobD said:

The Amarda was hampered by a lot of things. But I hardly think the British weather would be considered so unusual as to let the Spanish off.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    tim said:

The PB Tories are always wrong, the PB Tories never learn.

We PB Tories have a great record betting against you!
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

kle4 said:

but what the public perception of someone is, including my own perception, probably bears little reference to the reality

It's almost like some kind of glorified popularity contest isn't it? Good luck changing that during an election.
    Oh no chance of that. Gove will need to be kept out of site, and if his reforms do prove to have worked, his toxicity might reverse then, but even so is not guaranteed, And that's if they are an improvement.

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited July 2013
    What helped Wiggins was the timing of his gold. Remember how we'd gone through several days without Team GB getting any golds when along came Wiggins and the time trial.

I remember at the time the BBC reporting that that single event got more traffic on its website than all the Olympic coverage put together up to that moment
  • Options
    tim said:

So we've learned that there was no bounce from Cameron's union ranting, and we've learned that Michael Gove is utterly toxic.

Is any of that really news?
    Surely it's just proof of the PB Golden Rule

And we learned that the smart punters got on Theresa May last year.
    Agin, not really news.

It has been obvious to anybody with half a brain from Day 1 of Michael Gove's political career that he is utterly toxic. How on earth he managed to rise to a cabinet role is an utter mystery. Are there really no better MPs in the entire parliamentary Tory and Liberal parties?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

So we've learned that there was no bounce from Cameron's trade union ranting, and we've learned that Michael Gove is utterly toxic.

Is any of that really news?
    Surely it's just proof of the PB Golden Rule

And we learned that the smart punters got on Theresa May last year.
    Again, not really news.

(Carola gets a hat tip on that front, first commenter to spot it.
    Anywhere)

Seems a shame to leave Boris out but then he's pretty much leaving himself out anyway.
    Still no sign whatsoever of him getting back in the commons before 2015.

• Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    edited July 2013
    kle4 said:

Gove gets very bad press and his name is poison among a significant amount of the education establishment (though not universally), so it figures he would be rated so badly. Personally I like that he at least seems to have some idea of how to achieve things and make an impact. Hopefully that impact will prove positive overall.

I'm continually amazed at how low the LD figures drop. Sure, they will likely get much more in an actual election, but you'd think they'd hit the floor eventually, and they barely seem to pick up in the polls consistently even when they get out of the news.

Gove gets a lot of positive media coverage.

Many teachers are on side - despite the constant slagging off he dishes out - when it comes to rigour and a move away from skills to knowledge. We're still waiting for those promises re giving us some power back in the classroom... instead he's giving it to managers who, for the most part in my experience, are the substantial chunk of the problem.

Most people aren't thick enough to assume that all teachers are like those who go to union conferences or that they support all the union leader guff (or what gets reported anyway).

Most of the relevant polling, as I recall, shows that teachers are trusted and that parents with school-age children are positive about education (stand to be corrected on that as I can't be bothered to source...).

I suspect the underlying issue is that most people aren't thick enough, also, not to realise that the long game is to flog education off.
This discussion has been closed.