Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » One day to go and Betfair makes Hillary an 83% chance but the

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2016
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Europhiles showing how much they have learned...

https://twitter.com/ftwestminster/status/795498856423313408

The problem is that when we do rejoin, the EU will have developed not necessarily to our advantage.
    When? We are never going to rejoin.

Us rejoining the EU now is as likely as Canada joining the USA or Japan joining China.
    To rejoin after Brexit would require the UK to join the eurozone and Schengen, the UK may eventually join EFTA, which it was a member of before it joined the EU but I cannot see it joining the EU again once Article 50 has been invoked and the terms of departure agreed
    It would not require Schengen. The treaties explicitly recognise the CTA. It would take a new Treaty - which requires the agreement of Ireland - to derecognise the CTA.
    The EU is on an unstoppable mission to become the U.S.E. If we were ever to be so foolish as to get back in we'd be assimilated. Fully. The very grief and wailing and gnashing that is manifest in our Brexit decision is to me fairly solid evidence that we voted to get out at just about the last practical opportunity. A Remain vote would have sealed our future as part of a U.S.E. We'll never rejoin.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354

One of us has selective amnesia. I’m an OAP and i’m sure that further developments were envisaged, and talked about in 1975.

they may well have been and I expect we were told we would get a say, which we never got and its why we are where we are now.
    We did have a say. We agreed. Can you recall a single example of major treaty change that occurred over the opposition of a British Government, Conservative or Labour? It's an irritating habit of mainstream politicians of my own party and others to vaguely blame Brussels for doing stuff that we could have opposed but actually supported.
  • Options

No surprise to see some on the right calling for "democratic" oversight of judges because a court decision has been handed down that they do not like. The far left believes in this too. Just another case of the two wings circling to join each other.

True. At the extremes, there ought to be some mechanism to ensure the a judge doesn't go completely rogue and start more-or-less making up the law, but as with all such checks, its virtue would lie in not being used.

In contrast to the US, parliament can always change legislation - and the constitution if necessary - to correct a situation they find objectionable. That should always be the remedy to adverse decisions.
  • Options

Got my first new fiver. Absolutely rubbish. Small, feels like Monopoly money. Humbug. Whoever thought it was a good idea is a jester.

Apparently once it’s been folded it doesn’t sit in a till well, either. So the landlord of my local tells me.
    Ha, ha. Yes, the lady in my local corner shop was regaling me with the same grievance when I handed one over yesterday.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

619 said:

FPT

619 said:
    Early voting was shorter in 2012. There were 4.5M early voters then, we look to be well over 6M now so it would be hard for the black vote in raw numbers to decrease over 2012 unless their vote had completely collapsed. However AA proportion of the vote has decreased, there are many more whites than 2012 too. So no, Hillary only just overtaking the 2012 vote in raw numbers is not good.
    that wasnt counting sundays soul to the polls. I imagine that raw figure went up massively
    I really doubt it, Souls to the Polls Sunday was last Sunday. Only a few counties were open this Sunday as it is not a mandatory voting day. Of the ones that were many are not high AA areas. The total early vote this Sunday will be much smaller than other days judging by previous elections. It's not going to have an impact on the proportion of vote.
    black share is up to 12.7% now but it increases after today.
  • Options

SPIN is moving...

Clinton up to 322-332 (Spreadex much lower at 308-323)

The SPIN Clinton 330-up spread is now up to 20.5-26.5. That's a Sell according to all three of the models I've been tracking (538, NYT and HuffPost). But DYOR: you'd lose your shirt if Hillary somehow managed to nick Texas.

Wow, at its mid-point, Sporting's spread for Hillary is more than 30 ECVs ahead of 538.com..... there's brave! That said, America is still asleep, in the main. Maybe not in Maine, but in the main.
    Well I'm told, despite all appearances to the contrary, that market is suspended.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    taffys said:

JackW said:

National Tracker - IBD/TIPP - Sample 1,026 - 3-6 Nov

Clinton 40.7 .. Trump 43.1

http://www.investors.com/politics/ibd-tipp-presidential-election-poll/

And the reason that poll is wrong is....???
    Might be right, might be wrong. Need to look at all the averages.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

The problem is that when we do rejoin, the EU will have developed not necessarily to our advantage.

Us rejoining the EU now is as likely as Canada joining the USA or Japan joining China.
    Disagree, think about the demographics.
    Most of today's pensioners were enthusiasts for the EU in 1975.
    NO they were enthusiasts for the single market ie the Common Market. They were lied to by successive Govts of both colours as to what it meant.
    One of us has selective amnesia. I’m an OAP and i’m sure that further developments were envisaged, and talked about in 1975.
    they may well have been and I expect we were told we would get a say, which we never got and its why we are where we are now.
    When I was campaigning for leave I got votes by the shedload from people who weren't even born in 1974, and plenty from people whose parents weren't even in this country then. A lot of people haven't twigged why the referendum happened in the first place. Which mainstream political party would want to saddle themselves with the headaches Major and Cameron had. Cam hoped put the Eurosceptics back in their box for a few years. Mrs May sees the chance to lance the boil once and for all. Consider the Euro. There was a project fear campaign to get us in when it launched. Even before the referendum that seemed plain loopy and unthinkable. We'll drift away and the EU will be like the USA, a faraway country we observe with
    detached amusement. And occasionally cut off by fog.
  • Options

SPIN is moving...

Clinton up to 322-332 (Spreadex much lower at 308-323)

The SPIN Clinton 330-up spread is now up to 20.5-26.5. That's a Sell according to all three of the models I've been tracking (538, NYT and HuffPost). But DYOR: you'd lose your shirt if Hillary somehow managed to nick Texas.

Wow, at its mid-point, Sporting's spread for Hillary is more than 30 ECVs ahead of 538.com..... there's brave! That said, America is still asleep, in the main. Maybe not in Maine, but in the main.
    Well I'm told, despite all appearances to the contrary, that market is suspended.
    Finally I've been able to place a sell for a slightly smaller stake than I would have liked.
  • Options

We did have a say. We agreed. Can you recall a single example of major treaty change that occurred over the opposition of a British Government, Conservative or Labour? It's an irritating habit of mainstream politicians of my own party and others to vaguely blame Brussels for doing stuff that we could have opposed but actually supported.
    The poison in the well built up over time.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927

Sandpit said:

Yes, judges standing for re-election is a problem. The way to elect judges would be for a single term only, after which they would have to sit out the next term.

I understand your reasoning, but there are severe personal career difficulties in asking people to sign up for a single term and then go away. What do they do next? As with former MPs, who have no obvious next move when they lose, they may well be in middle age and unable easily to take up a new profession. (I was a translator as well, which saved my bacon)

I think the British system of independent judges expected to rule according to the law and the facts works pretty well in practice, however annoyed we get when an individual decision goes against what we want, and we should oppose attempts to change it to a more populist approach.
    I don't disagree with that, the British system works much better than more activist or political judicial environments. The assumption I made was that a judge would be a barrister of some experience to even be considered for the role, therefore they would not have too much of a problem going back to their chambers when their term finished.

Glad that you managed to find useful work after Parliament, I imagine that there must be a fair number of former MPs who are not so fortunate? Elections like those of 1997 or 2010 hand out a lot of P45s at the same time, although maybe the more professional politicians find it easier to head back to the wonk factory or bag carrying role from which they came?
  • Options
    The Republican take on this doesn't make for a happy America if Hillary Clinton wins:

https://twitter.com/LordAshcroft/status/795583866937442304
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    taffys said:

JackW said:

LA Times lite ... Clinton only +3 with women and Trump +7 with married women. Clinton too low with Hispanics and Trump too high with millennials.

Clinton is +1 in the H2H.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2016

Bullshit. We didn't support Lisbon. A referendum on it would have sunk in flames. Gordon Brown and your weasel party supported it - and ratified it in secret with no popular vote. It's precisely this sort of mendacity about the last 40 years that led us directly to Brexit.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    taffys said:

JackW said:

It has Clinton winning 65+ by 2 points.
  • Options
    JackW said:

taffys said:

JackW said:

LA Times lite ... Clinton only +3 with women and Trump +7 with married women. Clinton too low with Hispanics and Trump too high with millennials.

The Gold Standard.
    http://www.investors.com/politics/ibd-tipp-tracking-poll-most-accurate-presidential-poll/
  • Options

Got my first new fiver. Absolutely rubbish. Small, feels like Monopoly money. Humbug. Whoever thought it was a good idea is a jester.

You should ask for your money back. Boom, boom.

I believe Jack W still demands payment in sovereigns.
    I prefer gold guineas but will accept sovereigns as a last resort ....
  • Options

How does the "SPIN Clinton 330-up spread" work?

It is made up at the final ECV figure less 330, or 0, whichever is the higher.

So if you sell at the current 20.5 you'd lose just half a point if she gets 351. You'd win 10.5 points if she gets 340 ECVs. You'd win a fixed 20.5 points if she gets 330 or any lower number.

Conversely, your potential losses if she does better than 350 are uncapped.
    Thanks.

And to think they say that spread betting is confusing...

Having said that there are plenty of traditional bets with too many features for comfort.
  • Options

The Republican take on this doesn't make for a happy America if Hillary Clinton wins:

Very much a leading question, though.
  • Options

JackW said:

taffys said:

JackW said:

The Gold Standard.
    http://www.investors.com/politics/ibd-tipp-tracking-poll-most-accurate-presidential-poll/
    So it was out by a margin of error last time!

Again, why get so excited over one poll?

Also, the fact they mention the Nov surprise when it wouldn't' have impacted on their field work makes me... Pause
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    This article on the final early voting figures for North Carolina is very negative about Clinton's prospects there, based on the fact that the Democrat lead is only 9.8%, compared with 16% in 2012:
    http://heavy.com/news/2016/11/north-carolina-early-voting-results-2016-election-donald-trump-hillary-clinton-votes-cast-turnout-up-down-increase-decrease-who-winning-republicans-democrats/
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966
    If Trump loses, then I think he could have won by doing exactly the same - outwith the whole "Build the wall" thing.

Trade o
    Muslims o
    Social conservative pivot o
    Iraq o
    "Hillary in jail" o
    Mexico/Wall x
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to my Rasmussen lunchtime chuckle .... especially today .... :smiley:
  • Options
    Chris said:

This article on the final early voting figures for North Carolina is very negative about Clinton's prospects there, based on the fact that the Democrat lead is only 9.8%, compared with 16% in 2012:
    http://heavy.com/news/2016/11/north-carolina-early-voting-results-2016-election-donald-trump-hillary-clinton-votes-cast-turnout-up-down-increase-decrease-who-winning-republicans-democrats/

Interesting, though the composition of the Unaffiliated would be useful.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:
    Do you have an EC projection from the deepest bowels of charming Sussex ?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Don't panic Leavers, it's only going to be a very few, very rich brown people.

https://twitter.com/leomiklasz/status/795564655435481088

There is a lot of talk about not giving our negotiating strategy with the EU27 away in advance. In India we are doing the opposite. The message is "Please, Please, Please do a deal with us. Any deal. Please." It's no surprise, of course. We do need a deal a whole lot more than the Indians do. So, if we are to get one, it will be pretty much on their terms. See Iceland and China.

Don't be ridiculous. You're becoming like a headless chicken. A trade deal with India of peripheral importance and India doesn't really want any trade deals given their addiction to tariff income.

Yes, as I say a trade deal with India would be on their terms. Watching Liam Fox and Theresa May walking together down the aeroplane steps to the tarmac in New Delhi, and reading and watching the coverage of the trip, does not indicate they see anything peripheral about a deal.
    I wonder if India will ask Theresa if they could please have Vijay Malliya back? He's a shareholder in Kingfisher and the Force India F1 team among other interests, and is wanted in India - his business partner is already in jail for corruption. Malliya has been in the UK since India cancelled his passport a year ago.
  • Options
    JackW said:

I stand corrected.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,039
    edited November 2016

Sean_F said:

Most of today's pensioners were enthusiasts for the EU in 1975.
    NO they were enthusiasts for the single market ie the Common Market. They were lied to by successive Govts of both colours as to what it meant.
    We’ve had several elections for MEP’s, we’ve had several General Elections where the EU was an issue (often not a major one, I concede).
    Now we’re going to have to rejig thousands of commercial and professional arrangements, and probably end up with a lower standard of living.
  • Options

JackW said:

I stand corrected.
    White fivers?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Is it any wonder? When polls are being discussed on here, identity is all.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Bullshit. We didn't support Lisbon. A referendum on it would have sunk in flames. Gordon Brown and your weasel party supported it - and ratified it in secret with no popular vote. It's precisely this sort of mendacity about the last 40 years that led us directly to Brexit.
    Spot on. A referendum on Lisbon would have lanced the boil at an earlier stage and in all likelihood led to changes being made to the UK's relationship with the EU which would have meant avoiding the mess we now find ourselves in
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

What say did I have for Brown singing the Lisbon treaty.. SWET FECK ALL
  • Options
    Chris said:

I don't really understand why NC is looking so Dem-winnable in the first place. I know the demographics are moving towards the Dems over time but it's not hugely hispanic, so what is it that Obama couldn't do in 2012 that Hillary is going to be able to do in 2016? If there's no particular reason why it should swing faster than anywhere else but the state polling says it will, the best guess would be that the polling's wrong.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Latest Fox News Projection & Map :

Clinton 283 ..Trump 192 .. Toss-Up 63

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/elections/2016/presidential-race

That looks about right to me.

I'd make 2 adjustments, move NC from lean Hillary to TCTC. Move Nevada from TCTC to lean Hillary. That takes her total down to 274.
  • Options

JackW said:

I stand corrected.
    Even as an aristo I'd prefer you to stand rather kneel when replying to my missives ....
  • Options
    Chris said:

The Republicans have done an excellent voter suppression/disenfranchisement job in NC. Reducing voting stations, purging voters from the roles.

Fortunately Racism is over so the Voting Rights Act is now unconstitutional so no one needs to worry.
  • Options
    619 said:

Chris said:

http://www.oldnorthstatepolitics.com/
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:
    No surprise. Tapper is an especially irritating sanctimonious fraud.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Spot on. A referendum on Lisbon would have lanced the boil at an earlier stage and in all likelihood led to changes being made to the UK's relationship with the EU which would have meant avoiding the mess we now find ourselves in
    I think the Lisbon Treaty betrayal was the final straw for many EU waverers.
  • Options

So if you sell at the current 20.5 you'd lose just half a point if she gets 351. You'd win 10.5 points if she gets 340 ECVs. You'd win a fixed 20.5 points if she gets 330 or any lower number.

Thanks.

Having said that there are plenty of traditional bets with too many features for comfort.
    And don't forget that Florida's 29 ECVs all go either one way or the other. Spread betting can be scary at the best of times, but the US ECVs are about the scariest thing possible to make a spread bet on - even Mike has cashed out!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Interesting that both sides have the same proportion of people who think that the vote is being rigged though.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

619 said:

Chris said:

'White registered unaffiliated voters saw an overall increase of 41 percent, but among suburban white registered unaffiliated voters, it was an increase of 57 percent.

Among black unaffiliated voters, who are typically more from the Millennial generation, it was again suburban black unaffiliated voters showing the largest increase. '

If Clinton is winning suburban whites, this would be very good.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited November 2016

Chris said:

I don't really understand why NC is looking so Dem-winnable in the first place. I know the demographics are moving towards the Dems over time but it's not hugely hispanic, so what is it that Obama couldn't do in 2012 that Hillary is going to be able to do in 2016? If there's no particular reason why it should swing faster than anywhere else but the state polling says it will, the best guess would be that the polling's wrong.
    NC is a mixed bag, from hillbilly to high tech university industries in the research triangle. Heading the way of GA and VA as the New South rather than the Old South.
  • Options

Patrick said:

I think the Lisbon Treaty betrayal was the final straw for many EU waverers.
    For me it was that plus our 5 year trade pivot away from the EU, down from ca. 55% of all trade to ca. 43% at the moment and falling. In 10 years we will all be wondering what the fuss was about.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Thanks.

And don't forget that Florida's 29 ECVs all go either one way or the other. Spread betting can be scary at the best of times, but the US ECVs are about the scariest thing possible to make a spread bet on - even Mike has cashed out!
    My rule 1 is always understand what bet you're making.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    weejonnie said:

weejonnie said:

Essexit said:

Labour voters age and become Conservative voters. Remainers will become Leavers (Rejoiners will become Remain-outers?) in the same way, and the status quo advantage will have passed to the Eurosceptic side.
    That happens with some things but you also get a fair bit of stickiness where an entire cohort picks a side when they're young and that advantage sticks. This is a basic worldview issue: Educated young people who have grown up with free movement just don't see things the way older people do.
    Until they lose their jobs - and have to train their replacments from a lower-income country.
    Which does happen, both here and in America: here is your redundancy notice and you must spend the time training your outsourced replacements.

One factor we do not have is that on much of the continent, open borders mean Europe now seems more like a single country in that you can drive from (say) Germany through Poland to Czechia and buy beer using the same banknotes.
    It is, however, the relatively poor manual workers who cant really afford to drive 1000 miles to enjoy a beer, ski down the Alps and enjoy the vistas that have lost their jobs.

But I suppose that doesn't matter to most on this website.
    Bingo. Immigration/FoM was low on my list of reasons for being a Leaver but when Remainers say how terrible it is that we're being stripped of our 'rights' to free movement it shows how out of touch they are with most people who voted Leave.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,768
    I didn't realise that Godwin (of the eponymous Law) had already weighed in regarding Trump last year:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/12/14/sure-call-trump-a-nazi-just-make-sure-you-know-what-youre-talking-about/
  • Options

What say did I have for Brown singing the Lisbon treaty.. SWET FECK ALL
    To be fair to @NickPalmer, he did say British Governments as opposed to British people - and the government of 2007 were all for Lisbon even if the people were not. Lancing the boil with a referendum then, would probably have applied enough braking to prevent the Brexit vote nine years later.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    Patrick said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

To rejoin after Brexit would require the UK to join the eurozone and Schengen, the UK may eventually join EFTA, which it was a member of before it joined the EU but I cannot see it joining the EU again once Article 50 has been invoked and the terms of departure agreed
    It would not require Schengen. The treaties explicitly recognise the CTA. It would take a new Treaty - which requires the agreement of Ireland - to derecognise the CTA.
    The EU is on an unstoppable mission to become the U.S.E. If we were ever to be so foolish as to get back in we'd be assimilated. Fully. The very grief and wailing and gnashing that is manifest in our Brexit decision is to me fairly solid evidence that we voted to get out at just about the last practical opportunity. A Remain vote would have sealed our future as part of a U.S.E. We'll never rejoin.

I was merely pointing out that wad HYUFD said was factually incorrect. Unless the treaties change, which requires unanimity, then any joiner can commit to either Schengen or the CTA.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

weejonnie said:

weejonnie said:

Essexit said:

Labour voters age and become Conservative voters. Remainers will become Leavers (Rejoiners will become Remain-outers?) in the same way, and the status quo advantage will have passed to the Eurosceptic side.
    That happens with some things but you also get a fair bit of stickiness where an entire cohort picks a side when they're young and that advantage sticks. This is a basic worldview issue: Educated young people who have grown up with free movement just don't see things the way older people do.
    Until they lose their jobs - and have to train their replacments from a lower-income country.
    Which does happen, both here and in America: here is your redundancy notice and you must spend the time training your outsourced replacements.

One factor we do not have is that on much of the continent, open borders mean Europe now seems more like a single country in that you can drive from (say) Germany through Poland to Czechia and buy beer using the same banknotes.
    It is, however, the relatively poor manual workers who cant really afford to drive 1000 miles to enjoy a beer, ski down the Alps and enjoy the vistas that have lost their jobs.

But I suppose that doesn't matter to most on this website.
    Bingo. Immigration/FoM was low on my list of reasons for being a Leaver but when Remainers say how terrible it is that we're being stripped of our 'rights' to free movement it shows how out of touch they are with most people who voted Leave.
    Fair point. Although I suspect that many such Leavers didn’t realise how it would actually affect them n the longer term.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I didn't realise that Godwin (of the eponymous Law) had already weighed in regarding Trump last year:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/12/14/sure-call-trump-a-nazi-just-make-sure-you-know-what-youre-talking-about/

I spoke to him a few times when he was general counsel for the Wikimedia Foundation. He went on to eBay IIRC.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    Patrick said:

We'll never rejoin.

Will we ever fully leave?
  • Options
    ''Bingo. Immigration/FoM was low on my list of reasons for being a Leaver but when Remainers say how terrible it is that we're being stripped of our 'rights' to free movement it shows how out of touch they are with most people who voted Leave. ''

Voters have looked over the pond and have seen that, when immigration explodes, You become your identity. White Male. Latino. Asian. AA. Look at the way the election is discussed on here.

The only thing that follows that is trouble and conflict, as identities blame each other for denying each other power.
  • Options

Patrick said:

We'll never rejoin.

I don’t see how we can!
  • Options
    King Cole, the long term argument can be made equally well the other way. Many Remain voters did not and do not want a United States of Europe.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2016
    Sandpit said:

FL isn't a danger if you're selling on the 330-ups at 20.5, because the price assumes FL goes her way. If by any chance Trump does a lot better and takes FL, that just makes it a safer bet (but probably wouldn't increase your profit because you'd make no extra profit below 330). Texas on the other hand would be a killer - you'd lose 38 points just on that one state if it flipped to Clinton.

Of course, understanding exactly how the bets work and the corresponding risks is crucial. Also crucial is understanding how your bets interact. I have a little model of my betting position which (subject to an assumption of in which order the states would fall) allows me to chart my expected profit/loss by number of ECVs.
  • Options

King Cole, the long term argument can be made equally well the other way. Many Remain voters did not and do not want a United States of Europe.

I realise I’m in a minority. I’ve been part of minorities ever since since I was old enough to have an opinion.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    JackW said:

PlatoSaid said:
    I think they're preparing to drain the swamp
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Chris said:

The Republicans have done an excellent voter suppression/disenfranchisement job in NC. Reducing voting stations, purging voters from the roles.

Fortunately Racism is over so the Voting Rights Act is now unconstitutional so no one needs to worry.
    In the meantime you can get 11-10 on North Carolina with SkyBet.

I've done alot of betting on NC, on both sides - but pretty much all above evens so its all good.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Pulpstar said:

If Trump loses, then I think he could have won by doing exactly the same - outwith the whole "Build the wall" thing.

Trade o
    Muslims o
    Iraq o
    "Hillary in jail" o
    Mexico/Wall x

it's a double edged sword without build that wall, he probably wouldn't have won the nomination.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

Trade o
    Muslims o
    Iraq o
    "Hillary in jail" o
    Mexico/Wall x

it's a double edged sword without build that wall, he probably wouldn't have won the nomination.
    He could have turned " The Wall" into "completion of Obama's border fence", but he's too crazy.
  • Options

Patrick said:

We'll never rejoin.

Rather depends on what you regard as ‘fully’, - I think there’s every chance in a few years we’ll have left the steam roller towards a European federal state government, while retaining many trade links and adopted EU standards .
  • Options
    The Chief Economist of World First has produced a predictions map...

https://twitter.com/World_First/status/795572358941732864?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

He gives Hillary Florida and Trump Virginia??!

Either a mistake, or are people in the money markets really that under-informed?!
  • Options
    @Richard_Nabavi SPIN won't seem to have my payment show up and they've decided my existing spread bet "exhausts" my limit >.>
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Trade o
    Muslims o
    Iraq o
    "Hillary in jail" o
    Mexico/Wall x

He could have won - assuming he doesn't - had he simply avoided being disproportionately gratuitously insulting to women. There are many paths to victory which he could have taken but doing something about his scores with women would have been one of the easiest.
  • Options

Either a mistake, or are people in the money markets really that under-informed?!

Hillary Arizona and Trump Virginia.

Oh my aching sides.
  • Options

Patrick said:

We'll never rejoin.

You can check-out any time you like. But you can never leave!

(And she said "We are all just prisoners here, of our own device" .....
    They stab it with their steely knives, But they just can't kill the beast")
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    For anyone who missed it, Saturday Night Live's satirical final take on the election.

Cold Open, featuring Trump kissing Putin and a KKK leader, but everyone hugs and makes up in the end!
    ttps://youtube.com/watch?v=xCXEBsnLlpU

Weekend Update: 'A Weiner Always Pops Up At The Worst Possible Time'
    ttps://youtube.com/watch?v=o2AnM1HxJJw
  • Options
    National - Selzer/Bloomberg - Sample 799 - 4-6 Nov

Clinton 44 .. Trump 41

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-11-07/national-poll
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2016
    Pulpstar said:

@Richard_Nabavi SPIN won't seem to have my payment show up and they've decided my existing spread bet "exhausts" my limit >.>

Does the payment not show up in your account history?

One problem with them is that I think they treat the bets as independent, so if you have an open buy on the main ECV market and then sell on the X-ups market, they can ask for a deposit even though you've actually reduced your real exposure.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    MaxPB said:

Interesting that both sides have the same proportion of people who think that the vote is being rigged though.
    Buy tin-foil futures....
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    619 said:

Alistair said:

619 said:

Chris said:

'White registered unaffiliated voters saw an overall increase of 41 percent, but among suburban white registered unaffiliated voters, it was an increase of 57 percent.

Among black unaffiliated voters, who are typically more from the Millennial generation, it was again suburban black unaffiliated voters showing the largest increase. '

If Clinton is winning suburban whites, this would be very good.
    Yes. I think on the whole this election will be won or lost based on what the white vote does, how it splits and differential turnout.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,953

Patrick said:

We'll never rejoin.

I don’t see how we can!
    Erm, there is no way we can't.

Remember the little event in June called the Referendum.

We're leaving, despite the fantasies of Remoaners.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Pulpstar said:

Does the payment not show up in your account history?

One problem with them is that I think they treat the bets as independent, so if you have an open buy on the main ECV market and then sell on the X-ups market, they can ask for a deposit even though you've actually reduced your real exposure.
    My existing bet is a Sell of Trump at 209 (I have it hedged at Spreadex to make it effectively a straight bet on Hillary 250+ with large downside.)
  • Options
    Roger said:

JackW said:

PlatoSaid said:
    I think they're preparing to drain the swamp
    They may need more than a bum gun after that.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Trade o
    Muslims o
    Iraq o
    "Hillary in jail" o
    Mexico/Wall x

He could have won - assuming he doesn't - had he simply avoided being disproportionately gratuitously insulting to women. There are many paths to victory which he could have taken but doing something about his scores with women would have been one of the easiest.
    well pussygate wouldve screwed him over regardless
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Patrick said:

We'll never rejoin.

I don’t see how we can!

I believe that commercial life in both Britain and Europe is so interdependent that a customs wall, for example, between us is impossible.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

I see the daily mail aren't backing down from their enemy of the people routine, today publishing profiles of the supreme court judges pointing out any connections to EU & previous judgments that the Daily Mail doesn't approve of.

Meanwhile, Farage is planning to march on the Court with a load of his fellow pitchforkers apparently.
    One side effect of this is that we can now see *some* Brexiters' attitudes to the rule of law. It is not a pretty sight.

TOPPING said:

I don't have any problem with the Mail poring over the backgrounds of the Supreme Court judges to try to identify their possible predispositions in this case; I'm planning to do so myself. I do have a problem with them suggesting that any of the judges are actively biased or compromised without the most compelling of evidence. This isn't it and is fit only for crackpots.

Most of the Leave campaign was predicated on eg the IFS being in the pocket of their EU paymasters.
    There is no aspect of Britain's civic society that some Leavers aren't prepared to dismember in pursuit of their mania. And far too few of the other Leavers are willing to stand up to their fellow travellers and tell them that they are dangerously wrong.
    I have never revealed my vote and don't intend to. But I am very willing to say that those on the Leave side who attack the idea that the government should be subject to the rule of law are indeed wrong and dangerously so. This is a key principle that our forefathers fought for since Magna Carta. It is the basis of the rule of law. It is one of the things which makes me proud of Britain. It is one of the things which Britain has brought to the world.

Criticise legal judgments by all means. Do so in robust fashion. Free speech matters. It too is key to our freedoms.

But marches on courts, talk of "enemies of the people", the belief that governments must implement the peoples' will without any regard to the law are things which are rather more reminiscent of rackety and illiberal Continental regimes we have become rather too familiar with in the recent past. They are not - and should not - be part of the Britain I love.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

FL isn't a danger if you're selling on the 330-ups at 20.5, because the price assumes FL goes her way. If by any chance Trump does a lot better and takes FL, that just makes it a safer bet (but probably wouldn't increase your profit because you'd make no extra profit below 330). Texas on the other hand would be a killer - you'd lose 38 points just on that one state if it flipped to Clinton.

Of course, understanding exactly how the bets work and the corresponding risks is crucial. Also crucial is understanding how your bets interact. I have a little model of my betting position which (subject to an assumption of in which order the states would fall) allows me to chart my expected profit/loss by number of ECVs.
    That's a very clear and concise explaination. Agree with you that the key is predicting the order in which states change hands. Good luck, and hope your model is profitable!
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Patrick said:

We'll never rejoin.

I don’t see how we can!

I believe that commercial life in both Britain and Europe is so interdependent that a customs wall, for example, between us is impossible.
    Switzerland is not in the customs union and does 70% of its trade with the EU. They seem to get on just fine. Better than fine, in fact.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited November 2016

Things like the wall were avoidable, as they were part of his pitch during the campaign. Trump's misogyny is part of who he is, correcting that would require a time machine to change his upbringing.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Trade o
    Muslims o
    Iraq o
    "Hillary in jail" o
    Mexico/Wall x

If Trump were not Trump he would have a better chance of winning. And a lot of us would not be so worried about tomorrow's result.

• Options
    National Tracker - Survey Monkey/NBC - Sample 70,194 (WOW) - 31 Oct - 6 Nov

Clinton 47 .. Trump 41

https://www.scribd.com/document/330243723/NBC-News-SurveyMonkey-Toplines-and-Methodology-1031-11-6?secret_password=RZmAhM5A4ukrIpXPn0p8

• Options
    edited November 2016
    I don't think Hillary is ~ 65% likely to win Florida, I've laid out my previous GOP stake at 1.49 on Betfair.
  • Options
    ''well pussygate wouldve screwed him over regardless ''

People working two low paid jobs in hollowed out cities to survive.

I'm sure they base their voting decisions on unproven allegations of sexual misconduct.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I see the daily mail aren't backing down from their enemy of the people routine, today publishing profiles of the supreme court judges pointing out any connections to EU & previous judgments that the Daily Mail doesn't approve of.

Meanwhile, Farage is planning to march on the Court with a load of his fellow pitchforkers apparently.
    One side effect of this is that we can now see *some* Brexiters' attitudes to the rule of law. It is not a pretty sight.

TOPPING said:

I don't have any problem with the Mail poring over the backgrounds of the Supreme Court judges to try to identify their possible predispositions in this case; I'm planning to do so myself. I do have a problem with them suggesting that any of the judges are actively biased or compromised without the most compelling of evidence. This isn't it and is fit only for crackpots.

Most of the Leave campaign was predicated on eg the IFS being in the pocket of their EU paymasters.
    There is no aspect of Britain's civic society that some Leavers aren't prepared to dismember in pursuit of their mania. And far too few of the other Leavers are willing to stand up to their fellow travellers and tell them that they are dangerously wrong.
    I have never revealed my vote and don't intend to. But I am very willing to say that those on the Leave side who attack the idea that the government should be subject to the rule of law are indeed wrong and dangerously so. This is a key principle that our forefathers fought for since Magna Carta. It is the basis of the rule of law. It is one of the things which makes me proud of Britain. It is one of the things which Britain has brought to the world.

Criticise legal judgments by all means. Do so in robust fashion. Free speech matters. It too is key to our freedoms.

But marches on courts, talk of "enemies of the people", the belief that governments must implement the peoples' will without any regard to the law are things which are rather more reminiscent of rackety and illiberal Continental regimes we have become rather too familiar with in the recent past. They are not - and should not - be part of the Britain I love.
    Well said.
    The Daily Mail and similar coverage seemed to be encouraging mob rule, as indeed so has Farage.
    We can do without Momentum, Trumpism (plus Farage playing Robin to his Batman) and newspapers challenging the rule of law.
  • Options
    ''If Trump were not Trump he would have a better chance of winning. And a lot of us would not be so worried about tomorrow's result. ''

I don;t buy the argument that some kind of soft right McCain/Romney/Ryan clone would be beating Clinton.

They would just be losing in a different way.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    taffys said:

''well pussygate wouldve screwed him over regardless ''

People working two low paid jobs in hollowed out cities to survive.

I'm sure they base their voting decisions on unproven allegations of sexual misconduct.

Lowly paid women who have to put up with sexual harrassment as the price of keeping their jobs may very well see his boasts differently.

If only blue collar whie American males were voting, then you might have a point, but America is much more diverse than that, and indeed much more diverse than Britain.
  • Options
    glw said:

Things like the wall were avoidable, as they were part of his pitch during the campaign. Trump's misogyny is part of who he is, correcting that would require a time machine to change his upbringing.
    Trump's biggest problem with these stories during the campaign is that he just wouldn't move on from them.

When the story about the bus came up, he should have said "Apologies for the crude language, was banter from a long time ago, but it was just that - only talk. No blowies from the interns for President Trump!" and then just shut up and let it blow over.

But he wouldn't let it lie and gave the story legs - someone really should have confiscated his phone after the convention.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Pulpstar said:

Hillary Arizona and Trump Virginia.

Oh my aching sides.
    #BackToTheDrawingBoard
  • Options
    taffys said:

''If Trump were not Trump he would have a better chance of winning. And a lot of us would not be so worried about tomorrow's result. ''

I don;t buy the argument that some kind of soft right McCain/Romney/Ryan clone would be beating Clinton.

They would get a narrow victory against Clinton. A candidate that could push the Trump agenda without the craziness would win a landslide.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

No surprise to see some on the right calling for "democratic" oversight of judges because a court decision has been handed down that they do not like. The far left believes in this too. Just another case of the two wings circling to join each other.

Absolutely. The problem is the extremes seem to be in control of the debate at the moment.
    WB Yeats put it best: "The worst are full of passionate intensity." "The centre cannot hold."

A great poet.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509

https://twitter.com/AngrySalmond/status/795572780465090560

So that leaves big guns Kezia, Willie or Fluffy.

Of course Farage may be suddenly remember the UK element of UKIP. Here's hoping!

Are we having a referendum then? No-one told me.
  • Options
    ''They are not - and should not - be part of the Britain I love.''

This sunlit vision of a past Britain where everybody knew their places and the decisions of authority were always respected is a huge pile of b8llocks.

Unrest had often been there.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

Patrick said:

We'll never rejoin.

I don’t see how we can!

Switzerland is not in the customs union and does 70% of its trade with the EU. They seem to get on just fine. Better than fine, in fact.
    Are you sure about that; I thought there was a dispute going on. And Switzerland never got as involved as we did in the first place. It’s always a lot harder to unravel something than set it up in the first place.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Patrick said:

We'll never rejoin.

I don’t see how we can!

The fantasists all seem to be on the Leave side. Farage and co calling for marches on the courts, for democratic control of judges, saying that Parliament is going to overturn the will of the people and so on. It's all utter nonsense. We are leaving the EU. Our democracy requires the clear separation of powers. Judges are independent. All that remains to be decided is when we leave and under what terms. Neither of these things were voted on in June.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    taffys said:

Agreed, and similarly I don't buy the argument that any other Democrat would be winning in a landslide. Saying that Trump and Clinton are two uniquely weak candidates electorally is one of those truisms that isn't true.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    taffys said:

Possibly, I don't doubt that Trump is channeling some real anger that a "clone" would find harder to do so — as was Sanders on the other side of the fence — but Trump has too much baggage.
This discussion has been closed.