Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » One day to go and Betfair makes Hillary an 83% chance but the

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    FF43 said:

JackW said:

A brave call Jack, very brave, especially as regards Ohio*. I imagine OGH is spitting out his cornflakes as he reads this. Any views as regards turnout please?

* Ohio has 18 ECVs

Turnout projection 62%
    The really good news is the US election is over this week and we can 3 years of peace before the circus hits town again.
    Our void to be filled with three years of Brexit.
    2 years of Brexit, and 1 year of sunlit uplands....
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    619 said:

FPT

619 said:
    Early voting was shorter in 2012. There were 4.5M early voters then, we look to be well over 6M now so it would be hard for the black vote in raw numbers to decrease over 2012 unless their vote had completely collapsed. However AA proportion of the vote has decreased, there are many more whites than 2012 too. So no, Hillary only just overtaking the 2012 vote in raw numbers is not good.
    that wasnt counting sundays soul to the polls. I imagine that raw figure went up massively
    I really doubt it, Souls to the Polls Sunday was last Sunday. Only a few counties were open this Sunday as it is not a mandatory voting day. Of the ones that were many are not high AA areas. The total early vote this Sunday will be much smaller than other days judging by previous elections. It's not going to have an impact on the proportion of vote.
  • Options
    Sporting's ECVs mid-spreads this morning :

Clinton ....... 319 (unchanged)
    Trump ........ 218 (unchanged)
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Essexit said:

Europhiles showing how much they have learned...

https://twitter.com/ftwestminster/status/795498856423313408

The problem is that when we do rejoin, the EU will have developed not necessarily to our advantage.
    When? We are never going to rejoin.

Us rejoining the EU now is as likely as Canada joining the USA or Japan joining China.
    Disagree, think about the demographics.
    Labour voters age and become Conservative voters. Remainers will become Leavers (Rejoiners will become Remain-outers?) in the same way, and the status quo advantage will have passed to the Eurosceptic side.
    That happens with some things but you also get a fair bit of stickiness where an entire cohort picks a side when they're young and that advantage sticks. This is a basic worldview issue: Educated young people who have grown up with free movement just don't see things the way older people do.
    Until they lose their jobs - and have to train their replacments from a lower-income country.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896

The problem is that when we do rejoin, the EU will have developed not necessarily to our advantage.

Us rejoining the EU now is as likely as Canada joining the USA or Japan joining China.
    Most of today's pensioners were enthusiasts for the EU in 1975.
  • Options
    I'd love to know Rod's final prediction for this election.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    JackW....completely matches my own book on the US elections.....

Your turnout figure is slightly fency......I'm on the band up to 62%....
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

UKIP really revealing their true nature now that Brexit is underway and they are looking for the next stage:

Chris Mason ‏@ChrisMasonBBC 30m30 minutes ago
    . @SuzanneEvans1 of @UKIP
    tells @BBCr4today judges should be subject "to a degree of democratic control"

1930s Germany?

They are elected in the US at most levels
    And subject to a level of accusations of corruption that is unheard of in the UK.
    The word you're searching for is "accountability"
    Elected judges in America are under huge pressure to make rulings that are counter to the law but would hepl them at the ballot box. Their impartiality is compromised.
    The US system of elected/overtly partisan judges is not one I wish to adopt.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    National Tracker - LA Times - Sample 2,935 - 31 Oct - 6 Nov

Clinton 43.2 .. Trump 48.0

Note - Trump winning 18-34's .. Gender Divide by 9.9 points and 50% more Hispanics than Romney .. :smile:

http://graphics.latimes.com/usc-presidential-poll-dashboard/

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927

Mr. Tokyo, I hope you survive the Godzilla attack.

Thanks. I hope America survives its election.
    That wouldn't be a problem. Japan is full of educated and resilient souls, they will take Godzilla in their stride. America, on the other hand...
  • Options
    JackW said:

FINAL ARSE4US ALERT **** FINAL ARSE4US ALERT **** FINAL ARSE4US ALERT ****

ARSE4US FOP CALLS :

FLORIDA - CLINTON
    OHIO - CLINTON
    PENNSYLVANIA - CLINTON

HILLARY CLINTON IS THE 45th PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES

.......................................................................................................

Battleground States Calls For Trump :

Iowa .. Arizona .. Texas .. Georgia .. Utah ..

Battleground States Calls For Clinton :

Ohio .. New Hampshire .. Pennsylvania .. Michigan .. Wisconsin .. North Carolna .. Florida .. Colorado .. Nevada

Electoral College :

Clinton 341 .. Trump 197

MAP :

http://www.270towin.com/maps/Kj6dk

I'd expect Trump to do a bit better than Romney.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, some say Godzilla's tough stance on North Korea is earning him good approval ratings.
  • Options

Burglar shot in the posterior with bow and arrow:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-37868026

At least one ARSE gets targeted correctly.....
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

JackW said:

A brave call Jack, very brave, especially as regards Ohio*. I imagine OGH is spitting out his cornflakes as he reads this. Any views as regards turnout please?

* Ohio has 18 ECVs

Turnout projection 62%
    Thanks Jack, though the Betfair band bprder is at 62%!

Higberor lower. I am thinking higher.
    Wow, 2012 Turnout was 54.87% and 2008 was 58.2% This is a big call by the ARSE.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052

Off-topic:

A rather alarming article on Russia's drug addicts and the HIV crisis.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2016/11/why-russias-heroin-addicts-are-going-through-hell/

I read that; a very scary piece
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    wee Mrs McTurnip shows why she shouldnt be let near a trade deal

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/10bn-china-deal-collapses-over-hostile-scots-outcry-1-4279743
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Essexit said:

Labour voters age and become Conservative voters. Remainers will become Leavers (Rejoiners will become Remain-outers?) in the same way, and the status quo advantage will have passed to the Eurosceptic side.
    That happens with some things but you also get a fair bit of stickiness where an entire cohort picks a side when they're young and that advantage sticks. This is a basic worldview issue: Educated young people who have grown up with free movement just don't see things the way older people do.
    Until they lose their jobs - and have to train their replacments from a lower-income country.
    Which does happen, both here and in America: here is your redundancy notice and you must spend the time training your outsourced replacements.

One factor we do not have is that on much of the continent, open borders mean Europe now seems more like a single country in that you can drive from (say) Germany through Poland to Czechia and buy beer using the same banknotes.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966
    Alistair said:

JackW said:

* Ohio has 18 ECVs

Turnout projection 62%
    Thanks Jack, though the Betfair band border is at 62%!

Higher or lower. I am thinking higher.
    I can't see Hillary winning as comfortably as @JackW says if turnout is 62%.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Alistair said:

JackW said:

* Ohio has 18 ECVs

Turnout projection 62%
    Thanks Jack, though the Betfair band bprder is at 62%!

Higberor lower. I am thinking higher.
    I think tbe way Betfair calculates it is a couple of points higher.
  • Options
    Why pay the spread twice? I'm hanging on to my Clinton buy spread!
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited November 2016

Essexit said:

They generally show their passports going out. Thirty years ago, you occasionally had to show them at Calais too, and more rigmarole was needed to get to Prague but fewer wanted to go there.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    GrimRob said:

Why pay the spread twice? I'm hanging on to my Clinton buy spread!

Best way - long term you'll cut your winners and run your losses by "cashing out".

I'm holding both my spread bets to term.
  • Options
    "Fluctuations."

"Well, fluc to you Scots too!!!!"

(c) Benny Hill, 1975
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

UKIP really revealing their true nature now that Brexit is underway and they are looking for the next stage:

1930s Germany?

And subject to a level of accusations of corruption that is unheard of in the UK.
    Elected judges in America are under huge pressure to make rulings that are counter to the law but would hepl them at the ballot box. Their impartiality is compromised.
    Yes, judges standing for re-election is a problem. The way to elect judges would be for a single term only, after which they would have to sit out the next term.

In the US there are very few people given permanent appointments to any high profile public role, as opposed to in the UK where we have the senior civil service - everyone is either appointed to serve a politician or elected by the public. This leads to a bunch of unintended consequences, such as the political interference in the electoral process. Unfortunately, like most of these things, it suffers from great inertia and is difficult to change.

In the UK we have not had a problem with activist judges, and they're generally understood to be impartial. If the judges rule against the PM in the Art. 50 case, then a single line Bill through Parliament will suffice to allow the referendum result to be implemented. If I were the PM I'd do it the day before the Christmas recess, with the warning that no-one was going home until it passed!
  • Options

619 said:

FPT

619 said:
    Early voting was shorter in 2012. There were 4.5M early voters then, we look to be well over 6M now so it would be hard for the black vote in raw numbers to decrease over 2012 unless their vote had completely collapsed. However AA proportion of the vote has decreased, there are many more whites than 2012 too. So no, Hillary only just overtaking the 2012 vote in raw numbers is not good.
    that wasnt counting sundays soul to the polls. I imagine that raw figure went up massively
    I really doubt it, Souls to the Polls Sunday was last Sunday. Only a few counties were open this Sunday as it is not a mandatory voting day. Of the ones that were many are not high AA areas. The total early vote this Sunday will be much smaller than other days judging by previous elections. It's not going to have an impact on the proportion of vote.
    This seems to say the big Democratic counties will have been open:
    http://www.nbc-2.com/story/33640852/floridas-early-voting-wrapping-up-on-sunday
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Essexit said:

Which does happen, both here and in America: here is your redundancy notice and you must spend the time training your outsourced replacements.

One factor we do not have is that on much of the continent, open borders mean Europe now seems more like a single country in that you can drive from (say) Germany through Poland to Czechia and buy beer using the same banknotes.
    It is, however, the relatively poor manual workers who cant really afford to drive 1000 miles to enjoy a beer, ski down the Alps and enjoy the vistas that have lost their jobs.

But I suppose that doesn't matter to most on this website.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

1930s Germany?

Yes, judges standing for re-election is a problem. The way to elect judges would be for a single term only, after which they would have to sit out the next term.

In the US there are very few people given permanent appointments to any high profile public role, as opposed to in the UK where we have the senior civil service - everyone is either appointed to serve a politician or elected by the public. This leads to a bunch of unintended consequences, such as the political interference in the electoral process. Unfortunately, like most of these things, it suffers from great inertia and is difficult to change.

In the UK we have not had a problem with activist judges, and they're generally understood to be impartial. If the judges rule against the PM in the Art. 50 case, then a single line Bill through Parliament will suffice to allow the referendum result to be implemented. If I were the PM I'd do it the day before the Christmas recess, with the warning that no-one was going home until it passed!
    The most damage has been caused by Labour's decision to rename immigration tribunal panel members "judges" despite their lack of legal training. If you look at many of the silly decisions and scandals that the Mail gets upset by it's that group not what you or I might think of - recorders, HCJ or SCJ.

But it's undermined respect for the system.
  • Options
    Alex Leary of the "Tampa Bay Times" updates of the huge Hispanic turnout in Florida :

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/election/article112958953.html
  • Options
    No surprise to see some on the right calling for "democratic" oversight of judges because a court decision has been handed down that they do not like. The far left believes in this too. Just another case of the two wings circling to join each other.
  • Options
    I remain to be convinced that early voting says that much. It's the usual virtue signalling from the Left. "THIS is how much I hate Trump." They get to feel good about themselves a few days early.

I also subscribe to the Shy Trump Theory. I reckon most folks would rather show strangers their internet browsing history than admit to voting Trump, especially amongst the independents.

I still think Clinton wins - but I'm in the "only just" camp. Like I was with Remain on the day before....I could be wrong.
  • Options
    Don't panic Leavers, it's only going to be a very few, very rich brown people.

https://twitter.com/leomiklasz/status/795564655435481088
  • Options

There is a lot of talk about not giving our negotiating strategy with the EU27 away in advance. In India we are doing the opposite. The message is "Please, Please, Please do a deal with us. Any deal. Please." It's no surprise, of course. We do need a deal a whole lot more than the Indians do. So, if we are to get one, it will be pretty much on their terms. See Iceland and China.

• Options

No surprise to see some on the right calling for "democratic" oversight of judges because a court decision has been handed down that they do not like. The far left believes in this too. Just another case of the two wings circling to join each other.

Absolutely. The problem is the extremes seem to be in control of the debate at the moment.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

1930s Germany?

The most damage has been caused by Labour's decision to rename immigration tribunal panel members "judges" despite their lack of legal training. If you look at many of the silly decisions and scandals that the Mail gets upset by it's that group not what you or I might think of - recorders, HCJ or SCJ.

The Tories have had six years to change the name. They haven't. Clearly they have no problem with it.

• Options
    weejonnie said:

weejonnie said:

Essexit said:

It is, however, the relatively poor manual workers who cant really afford to drive 1000 miles to enjoy a beer, ski down the Alps and enjoy the vistas that have lost their jobs.

But unemployment is low. This South Park-esque "They've taken all our jaaabs" stuff is just total sh1te.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

There is a lot of talk about not giving our negotiating strategy with the EU27 away in advance. In India we are doing the opposite. The message is "Please, Please, Please do a deal with us. Any deal. Please." It's no surprise, of course. We do need a deal a whole lot more than the Indians do. So, if we are to get one, it will be pretty much on their terms. See Iceland and China.

Don't be ridiculous. You're becoming like a headless chicken. A trade deal with India of peripheral importance and India doesn't really want any trade deals given their addiction to tariff income.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,764

FF43 said:

JackW said:

* Ohio has 18 ECVs

Turnout projection 62%
    The really good news is the US election is over this week and we can 3 years of peace before the circus hits town again.
    Our void to be filled with three years of Brexit.
    2 years of Brexit, and 1 year of sunlit uplands....
    I'm sure we can argue about sunlit uplands too.

I go along with Jack's arse with the exception of Ohio, which I think will go Trump.

@Pulpstar, if turnout is high I think that will help Clinton. Demographics are trending away from the Republicans. Feet on the ground, most of those voting Trump are those that always vote Republican. Low propensity voters will largely break for the Democrats.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Here are the ECV Trump numbers that he is expected to win should he have "certain" states in his column (From Rod Crosby's spreadsheet)

Interestingly it matches @JackW projection

62 MT
    77 AK
    148 TX
    175 AZ
    197 GA

-------------- @JackW projection

215 OH
    230 NC
    236 NV
    266 FL
    270 NH <- New Hampshire to win
    286 MI
    433 MD(*)
    521 CA
    538 DC

Without Nevada, Trump requires Michigan to win - in my view IF he has won New Hampshire he has most likely taken at least one of the Great Lake states too.

* Nate Silver has Maryland as the state before DC.

DC is unequivocally the safest ECV votes for Clinton - any model that doesn't show this is simply wrong.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

weejonnie said:

weejonnie said:

Essexit said:

But unemployment is low. This South Park-esque "They've taken all our jaaabs" stuff is just total sh1te.
    The absolute employment rate in the us is ~68% compared to 74% over here. In reality around 11% of working age Americans are out of work, half of them have just stopped looking and are now classed as inactive.
  • Options

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

1930s Germany?

The Tories have had six years to change the name. They haven't. Clearly they have no problem with it.

Would the LibDems in the Coalition have allowed a return to "the House of Lords"? Nah... So that's five of the six accounted for....
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

weejonnie said:

weejonnie said:

Essexit said:

The absolute employment rate in the us is ~68% compared to 74% over here. In reality around 11% of working age Americans are out of work, half of them have just stopped looking and are now classed as inactive.
    I was actually talking about in the UK. You can't drive to the Alps from Arkansas!
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

619 said:

FPT

619 said:
    This seems to say the big Democratic counties will have been open:
    http://www.nbc-2.com/story/33640852/floridas-early-voting-wrapping-up-on-sunday
    I said AA areas not Democrat. There are many AAs in Republican counties in Florida.

The vote this Sunday will be much smaller than a normal day anyway. It was in 2012 and 2008. It isn't going to change the AA numbers much, possibly the Hispanic numbers though.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

weejonnie said:

Essexit said:

But wages haven't gone up - and standard of living in the UK is falling. However if you want to have the attitude "You have a job - shut up" then so be it.

"In key respects middle income families with children now more closely resemble poor families than in the past. Half are now renters rather than owner occupiers and, while poorer families have become less reliant on benefits as employment has risen, middle- income households with children now get 30% of their income from benefits and tax credits, up from 22% 20 years ago."

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/8371
  • Options

Good. Why should be be placing bureaucratic barriers in the way of entrepreneurs wanting to set up in the UK, bringing investment and creating jobs?

I'd go further, why should we get in the way of anyone who can make a net contribution to British society, whether by bringing investment, earning a high salary or filling a genuine skills gap - no matter from which country they originate?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited November 2016

"Britain is the worst place" I suggest this young man gets out of his own arse long enough to see what India is doing at the moment. They are literally kicking out Pakistani actors because they are Pakistani. Britain is not the worse place by a long shot.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917
    Sean_F said:

Now they have their triple lock pensions, paid fof the mortgage and don't need to worry about a job!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Good. Why should be be placing bureaucratic barriers in the way of entrepreneurs wanting to set up in the UK, bringing investment and creating jobs?

I'd go further, why should we get in the way of anyone who can make a net contribution to British society, whether by bringing investment, earning a high salary or filling a genuine skills gap - no matter from which country they originate?
    Thud doesn't see them as entrepreneurs but as " brown people ". It's a recurrent theme in his thinking.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Sean_F said:

NO they were enthusiasts for the single market ie the Common Market. They were lied to by successive Govts of both colours as to what it meant.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/chakrabortty/status/795355944540585985

One of the SubMayrine's talents seems to be the ability to induce amnesia about her various career illiberalities. This inspired me to remember the immigration checks at tube and train stations. Are they still going on?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,039

Sean_F said:

NO they were enthusiasts for the single market ie the Common Market. They were lied to by successive Govts of both colours as to what it meant.
    One of us has selective amnesia. I’m an OAP and i’m sure that further developments were envisaged, and talked about in 1975.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited November 2016

weejonnie said:

Essexit said:

Erm, neither Poland nor the Czech Republic use the Euro.

Someone else yesterday predicted Hungary leaving the Euro next year, which would be quite an achievement given they haven't joined yet!

EU <> Eurozone
  • Options
    Got my first new fiver. Absolutely rubbish. Small, feels like Monopoly money. Humbug. Whoever thought it was a good idea is a jester.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    Pulpstar said:

Here are the ECV Trump numbers that he is expected to win should he have "certain" states in his column (From Rod Crosby's spreadsheet)

Interestingly it matches @JackW projection

62 MT
    77 AK
    148 TX
    175 AZ
    197 GA

215 OH
    230 NC
    236 NV
    266 FL
    270 NH <- New Hampshire to win
    286 MI
    433 MD(*)
    521 CA
    538 DC

Without Nevada, Trump requires Michigan to win - in my view IF he has won New Hampshire he has most likely taken at least one of the Great Lake states too.

* Nate Silver has Maryland as the state before DC.

DC is unequivocally the safest ECV votes for Clinton - any model that doesn't show this is simply wrong.</p>

Best summary I've seen yet - thanks!
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited November 2016
    dr_spyn said:

Kinder, softer, gentler politics.

ttps://twitter.com/politicshome/status/795568982551982080

Christian Wolmar called for toilet tissue to be banned, arguing it spreads faeces around the body “like a toddler and his new paint box”.

Hmm, either hyperbole, or Wolmar appears never to have been Potty trained.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Thud doesn't see them as entrepreneurs but as " brown people ". It's a recurrent theme in his thinking.
    Since the one consistent factor in your various political positions (insofar as any of them are authentic) is to have had racists (Berlusconi, Farage, Trump etc) in your political wank bank, that is the pot calling the kettle black. Or brown.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited November 2016
    PB, the place keen to get to the bottom of a political issue.

PoliticsHome ✔ @politicshome
    Will next Labour manifesto include pledge to ban toilet paper? http://bit.ly/2f6K7XR
    "“You don’t see what you are doing with the Andrex which, not to put too fine a point on it, is spreading it around like a toddler and his new paint box."
  • Options

Will next Labour manifesto include pledge to ban toilet paper? http://bit.ly/2f6K7XR
    "“You don’t see what you are doing with the Andrex which, not to put too fine a point on it, is spreading it around like a toddler and his new paint box."

Well they'll run the country like Venezuala - so the point is moot - there won't be any supply. We'll have to use sponges.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,039

Got my first new fiver. Absolutely rubbish. Small, feels like Monopoly money. Humbug. Whoever thought it was a good idea is a jester.

Apparently once it’s been folded it doesn’t sit in a till well, either. So the landlord of my local tells me.
  • Options
    Here is Nate Silver's "state order" (Trump ECVs)

MT 63
    TX 151
    AK 154
    GA 179
    AZ 191

OH 215
    FL 245
    NC 260
    NV 266
    NH 270
    MI 315
    CA 507
    MD 535
    DC 538
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    Transit strike ends in Philly. More favourable news for Clinton.
  • Options
    King Cole, I got one that was pretty well-folded and it seemed slightly fiddlier to get in my wallet [not a major thing for me, of course, but if someone had a stack of them it might be somewhat irksome].

Daft bloody thing, and too damned small. It's real security measure is looking so rubbish no self-respecting counterfeiter would copy it.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I understand your reasoning, but there are severe personal career difficulties in asking people to sign up for a single term and then go away. What do they do next? As with former MPs, who have no obvious next move when they lose, they may well be in middle age and unable easily to take up a new profession. (I was a translator as well, which saved my bacon)

I think the British system of independent judges expected to rule according to the law and the facts works pretty well in practice, however annoyed we get when an individual decision goes against what we want, and we should oppose attempts to change it to a more populist approach.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MT 63
    TX 151
    AK 154
    GA 179
    AZ 191

OH 215

-------------- My prediction

FL 245
    NC 260
    NV 266
    NH 270
    MI 315
    CA 507
    MD 535
    DC 538

Better play my cards, this is how I had it yesterday. So I agree on the state order.
  • Options

ARSE .... :smiley:

• Options

Sean_F said:

One of us has selective amnesia. I’m an OAP and i’m sure that further developments were envisaged, and talked about in 1975.
    they may well have been and I expect we were told we would get a say, which we never got and its why we are where we are now.
  • Options

Everybody should have his own bum-gun.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    HYUFD said:

To rejoin after Brexit would require the UK to join the eurozone and Schengen, the UK may eventually join EFTA, which it was a member of before it joined the EU but I cannot see it joining the EU again once Article 50 has been invoked and the terms of departure agreed
    It would not require Schengen. The treaties explicitly recognise the CTA. It would take a new Treaty - which requires the agreement of Ireland - to derecognise the CTA.
  • Options

I actually like its design and more blueish, rather than greenish appearance as well as its new safety features, but why oh why did it have to be so small, which inevitably diminishes its value psychologically.
  • Options

I understand your reasoning, but there are severe personal career difficulties in asking people to sign up for a single term and then go away. What do they do next? As with former MPs, who have no obvious next move when they lose, they may well be in middle age and unable easily to take up a new profession. (I was a translator as well, which saved my bacon)

What if you made the single term like 20 years?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I actually like its design and more blueish, rather than greenish appearance as well as its new safety features, but why oh why did it have to be so small, which inevitably diminishes its value psychologically.
    It has shrunk 15% in line with its post Brexit value.
  • Options
    Mr. Putney, the colour is fine, I agree.

It's just every other aspect that's rubbish :p

Mr. Meeks, if it's a Labour policy, surely every man should have a bowel-owl?
  • Options

I have no idea what one is and dare not attempt to google it – a discrete explanation perhaps?
  • Options
    SPIN is moving...

Clinton up to 322-332 (Spreadex much lower at 308-323)

The SPIN Clinton 330-up spread is now up to 20.5-26.5. That's a Sell according to all three of the models I've been tracking (538, NYT and HuffPost). But DYOR: you'd lose your shirt if Hillary somehow managed to nick Texas.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/AngrySalmond/status/795572780465090560

So that leaves big guns Kezia, Willie or Fluffy.

Of course Farage may be suddenly remember the UK element of UKIP. Here's hoping!
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Pulpstar said:

MT 63
    TX 151
    AK 154
    GA 179
    AZ 191

OH 215

-------------- My prediction

FL 245
    NC 260
    NV 266
    NH 270
    MI 315
    CA 507
    MD 535
    DC 538

Better play my cards, this is how I had it yesterday. So I agree on the state order.
    I think Arizona falls before Georgia because of the latino share of the vote. Apperently the biggest increase in latino votes is in Arizona. Also I expect Black share to be down, and more resistance amongst white voters to clinton in GA then Arizona.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Yes and no. America has 94 million adults who are not in the work force, or seeking employment.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Just when I thought things couldn't get any weirder - the two Podesta brothers are being associated with/bear a strong resemblance to two suspects in Madeleine McMcann disappearance. It's all over Twitter.

How dull life will be once 2016 is over.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,953

Of course Farage may be suddenly remember the UK element of UKIP. Here's hoping!

Doesn't want to legitimise a fantasy vote, more like.

There will never be Indyref 2
  • Options

You should ask for your money back. Boom, boom.

• Options
    Mr. Observer, this wouldn't've happened with a solidus of the 11th century!
  • Options

Yes. The last 'serious' person I heard call for an elected judiciary was Tony Benn.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289

dr_spyn said:

Kinder, softer, gentler politics.

ttps://twitter.com/politicshome/status/795568982551982080

Christian Wolmar called for toilet tissue to be banned, arguing it spreads faeces around the body “like a toddler and his new paint box”.

Hmm, either hyperbole, or Wolmar appears never to have been Potty trained.
    Or he had had an unfortunate incident with a seemingly empty bag of boiled sweets described in Take A Girl Like You by Kingsley Amis.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Don't be ridiculous. You're becoming like a headless chicken. A trade deal with India of peripheral importance and India doesn't really want any trade deals given their addiction to tariff income.

Yes, as I say a trade deal with India would be on their terms. Watching Liam Fox and Theresa May walking together down the aeroplane steps to the tarmac in New Delhi, and reading and watching the coverage of the trip, does not indicate they see anything peripheral about a deal.

• Options
    Latest Fox News Projection & Map :

Clinton 283 ..Trump 192 .. Toss-Up 63

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/elections/2016/presidential-race
  • Options

I received my first one on Friday, which means that our cash spending habits probably aren't that dissimiliar.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    PlatoSaid said:

Just when I thought things couldn't get any weirder - the two Podesta brothers are being associated with/bear a strong resemblance to two suspects in Madeleine McMcann disappearance. It's all over Twitter.

How dull life will be once 2016 is over.

What's weirder is that Trump looks like a serial sexual assaulter. It's all over conventional mainstream news sources and Twitter.
  • Options

SPIN is moving...

The SPIN Clinton 330-up spread is now up to 20.5-26.5. That's a Sell according to all three of the models I've been tracking (538, NYT and HuffPost). But DYOR: you'd lose your shirt if Hillary somehow managed to nick Texas.

How does the "SPIN Clinton 330-up spread" work?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Perhaps we should be more Dutch and have inspection areas as well.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Doesn't want to legitimise a fantasy vote, more like.

There will never be Indyref 2
    I believe if you put a wee bit of paper with 'There will never be Indyref 2' written on it under your pillow every night, that will definitely stop it happening!
  • Options
    National Tracker - IBD/TIPP - Sample 1,026 - 3-6 Nov

Clinton 40.7 .. Trump 43.1

http://www.investors.com/politics/ibd-tipp-presidential-election-poll/
  • Options

You should ask for your money back. Boom, boom.

I believe Jack W still demands payment in sovereigns.
  • Options

SPIN is moving...

The result goes as expected, you win ~ 20 times your stake.

Hillary wins Texas, you'll need to call the bank manager in the morning.
  • Options
    Did anyone watch the programme about Weiner on BBC 4 last night.. Words failed me.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    JackW said:

National Tracker - IBD/TIPP - Sample 1,026 - 3-6 Nov

Clinton 40.7 .. Trump 43.1

http://www.investors.com/politics/ibd-tipp-presidential-election-poll/

And the reason that poll is wrong is....???
  • Options

What if you made the single term like 20 years?
    That would help, but not entirely. Say you're elected as judge at age 33, what do you do when you're 53? Also, as we see in the USA, an appointment to the Supreme Court casts a very long shadow, and a Judge Trump elected in a spasm of popular anger in 2017 might be still influencing affairs in 2037, long after everyone had forgotten why they elected him.

I concede that I'm motivated by a certain reservation about the infallible power of judgment of the electorate at any particular moment. Normally, a bad decision can be reversed in a few years by another election. By lengthening the term of office you reduce the career problem that I mentioned but increase the impact of spasmodic decisions.
  • Options

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bum-gun&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=Al8gWLGeFpLZ8Aec9KGgBw
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2016

It is made up at the final ECV figure less 330, or 0, whichever is the higher.

So if you sell at the current 20.5 you'd lose just half a point if she gets 351. You'd win 10.5 points if she gets 340 ECVs. You'd win a fixed 20.5 points if she gets 330 or any lower number.

Conversely, your potential losses if she does better than 350 are uncapped.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited November 2016

SPIN is moving...

Wow, at its mid-point, Sporting's spread for Hillary is more than 30 ECVs ahead of 538.com..... there's brave! That said, America is still asleep, in the main. Maybe not in Maine, but in the main.
This discussion has been closed.