Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Donald Trump might be engaging in some polling denial

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Charles said:

I can pledge to the voters that we will achieve the best possible outcome.

"Are you saying PM that your opponents in this election would achieve the worst possible outcome? On what basis can you make that claim?"

Carnage
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Single market access is pretty important for those wwc Sunderland car workers. It seems like a sensible position for Labour to me.

Single market access can mean anything though.

Exactly. There are very few countries in the world without access to the single market. It's what kind of access that's important. That's what businesses will be looking for, as well as Brits who now or in the future want to live/work in the EU.

Surely what is meant is Single Markets membership or at least Customs Union?

To my mind being held to EU rules without a say in them, and paying for the privilege is a pretty poor deal.

Frankly, it depends on what the alternative is. If we lose more in tax take as a result of hard Brexit than the amount we would pay in contributions to remain part of the SM, then the contributions might be worth it (see Norway).

The Norwegians run a trade surplus with the EU. They pay to make a profit.

We on the other hand.......

• Options
    @Anna_Soubry: Note to PM:over 16 mill ppl including your good self didn't vote to leave the EU. It's time to bring ppl together not cause more division
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Anna_Soubry: Note to PM:over 16 mill ppl including your good self didn't vote to leave the EU. It's time to bring ppl together not cause more division

What a prat.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Scott_P said:

By caving in to Anna Soubry. Note to PM: that's not gonna work....
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045
    Scott_P said:

And every day, those asking it would be told to fuck off and wait for the outcome.

You want an election campaign in which the PM tells reporters to fuck off every time a reporter asks what her policies are?

(Snip)
    To be fair, that's what Corbyn seem to be doing. I'm not sure it's the right behaviour for a PM, though ...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298

Is there a country in the world without single market access... If need be, May should go to the country (snip)

Just for a moment there Morris I was trying to puzzle out why you were wishing such travel upon the PM....
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Scott_P said:

Charles said:

"Are you saying PM that your opponents in this election would achieve the worst possible outcome? On what basis can you make that claim?"

Carnage
    This election is about who you want to lead this country. The team we have put together is wonderful. Mr Corbyn and his team have a track record of [whatever the theme of the day is]. We believe the choice is clear.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Scott_P said:

I am beginning to wonder if Tezza will deliver Brexit.

If she wanted to thwart it, what might she do?

Put the 3 most incompetent ministers in charge of it? Check

Fight a losing legal battle? Check

Appeal? Check

Appeal to the ECJ is next on the list...

If she doesn't deliver then she's finished. And she'd bring the entire political system down along with her.

Ultimately, A50 notification is only going to be blocked if (a) the Supreme Court case is lost, then (b) a Parliamentary majority can be found to frustrate the necessary instrument moved to allow it to happen, AND (c) parties backing Remain win a Commons majority in the General Election which would inevitably follow such a veto.

(a) is quite likely, (b) appears very unlikely in the Commons, but might happen if their Lordships decide to commit institutional suicide, but (c) seems almost impossible. There were majorities to Leave in the bulk of constituencies, and the notion of the main Opposition party, Labour, going into an election campaign effectively saying that "we want to throw the people's verdict into the dustbin, for the sake of upholding free market capitalism (whilst running on an entirely contradictory slate of Far Left economic policies) and unlimited open borders migration" is as preposterous as it is suicidal. It would be like the Charge of the Light Brigade, the First Day of the Somme, Pickett's Charge, Cold Harbour, the Anglo-Zanzibar War, or perhaps just the biblical Slaughter of the Innocents. Whichever historical parallel for an unmitigated and catastrophic massacre you prefer to use, that is what it would be for them.

One way or another, Brexit is coming. It's all just a matter of how hard Continuity Remain kicks, screams and obstructs the process; how nasty the political atmosphere gets as a result; and how hard the anti-democrats are punished by the people if we are ultimately forced to have another vote.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329

Moses_ said:

I really don't see the point anymore.......

Don't do it!
    Oh, you meant stop bathing us in the warm light of your wit and wisdom? Oh well, if you insist..
    And Maud says oh lord, I am so terribly bored,
    I really can't stand it any more,
    But I'm going out to dinner...
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

nielh said:

Every day in the election campaign she will be asked 'what do you mean by the best deal for Britain?' What does that mean?

And the follow up question "Are you suggesting your opponents would pursue the worst deal for Britain?"

It wouldn't survive the first day of a GE campaign.

A manifesto with 24 blank pages where the policies should be.

Carnage.
    In line with the views expressed by the voters of this country we will seek control of immigration going forward. We also recognise the importance of trade and will seek access to the European market on the best possible terms. Of course, any negotiation involves two parties and we look forward to working with our European partners in the the spirit of constructive engagement.

Next question please.

What are the best possible terms? Will you sacrifice jobs and growth to control immigration from the EU? Will pensioners living in Spain currently have to come home? And so on.

Any negotiation involves two parties and I am not in a position to comment on where the EU is prepared to compromise in order to establish a positive long-term cooperation with the United Kingdom. I can pledge to the voters that we will achieve the best possible outcome.

If May does not want to answer questions others will do it for her. If she refuses to say whether she believes sacrificing jobs and growth in order to control immigration is worth it, she'll effectively be saying it is. That is the right wing view, of course, but it might not be that popular. And then you have to ask yourself whether the multiple mediocrities and downright incompetents in the cabinet will be able to maintain message discipline.

• Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Still holding at 4-5 Dems at 40% pa ante-post.It's always been in the demographics.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Check how your market will be settled. Second Washington elector sates they may not vote for Hillary if she wins.

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/795138608638332928
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

And every day, those asking it would be told to fuck off and wait for the outcome.

You want an election campaign in which the PM tells reporters to fuck off every time a reporter asks what her policies are?

The Brexiteers have completely lost their minds this morning
    I've already said - there won't be an election until there is a deal done. And delivered. So you are just opening your mouth and making noise. Yet again.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    It's amazing to see the remainers using exactly the same tactics that I saw used by the lefties in the student union in the 70's. delay, frustrate, and ultimately ignore the view of those they don't agree with. I'm waiting for a substantive vote to be slipped into parliament at 3.00am to reverse the referendum result :grin:
  • Options
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Carnage
    This election is about who you want to lead this country. The team we have put together is wonderful. Mr Corbyn and his team have a track record of [whatever the theme of the day is]. We believe the choice is clear.

May's probably best off not referencing her team. She should keep it to her versus Corbyn. Beyond that comparison the Tories lose their edge very quickly.

• Options
    Alistair said:

Check how your market will be settled. Second Washington elector sates they may not vote for Hillary if she wins.

If they needed their votes I imagine they'd send Bernie Sanders out there to talk some sense into them.
  • Options

how nasty the political atmosphere gets as a result; and how hard the anti-democrats are punished by the people if we are ultimately forced to have another vote.

The Brexiteers have made the political atmosphere nasty enough already. the calls for civil disobedience from them were ugly. Luckily the anti-democrats who want to abandon the rule of law are not yet in the ascendancy
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Mr. P, it's almost as if May has a negotiation to conduct, rather than a wish list for her fairy godmother to compile.

This is a transparent attempt to reverse the referendum result by trying to paint May into a corner. It may work, of course, but it's still repugnant.

Get over yourself. If it's repugnant, then all of politics is repugnant.

Play up, and play the game.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

nielh said:

Every day in the election campaign she will be asked 'what do you mean by the best deal for Britain?' What does that mean?

And the follow up question "Are you suggesting your opponents would pursue the worst deal for Britain?"

Carnage.
    In line with the views expressed by the voters of this country we will seek control of immigration going forward. We also recognise the importance of trade and will seek access to the European market on the best possible terms. Of course, any negotiation involves two parties and we look forward to working with our European partners in the the spirit of constructive engagement.

Next question please.

What are the best possible terms? Will you sacrifice jobs and growth to control immigration from the EU? Will pensioners living in Spain currently have to come home? And so on.

Any negotiation involves two parties and I am not in a position to comment on where the EU is prepared to compromise in order to establish a positive long-term cooperation with the United Kingdom. I can pledge to the voters that we will achieve the best possible outcome.
    The problem with "I can pledge to the voters that we will achieve the best possible outcome." is that the 'best possible outcome" is highly dependent on the perspective of the viewer. Worse, that perspective has been corrupted by the highly divergent and incompatible claims of the various leave campaigns.

It is going to be a very hard sell, and she will have to expend a large amount of political capital that she might not have, even with Labour's problems.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The Brexiteers have completely lost their minds this morning
    I've already said - there won't be an election until there is a deal done. And delivered. So you are just opening your mouth and making noise. Yet again.

There has to be an election by May 2020. It's very unlikely that a final deal will be done by then.

• Options

I've already said - there won't be an election until there is a deal done.

Want a bet?

I have £10 of David's money to play with
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333

Moses_ said:

12 posts in and PB is straight back to arguing the same Brexit points by the same Remainers over and over and over again. Every thread is now simply becoming a parody of the previous thread but each just becomes even more bitter, twisted and entrenched. I really don't see the point anymore.......

But their pain still brings untold joy. It's like watching someone else's three year old having a screaming, writhing tantrum in a supermarket and knocking over a giant pyramid of baked bean tins.....
    While the Brexiters are like 10-yr olds who knock on someone's door and then run away laughing.
  • Options
    @carlgardner: "Judges are biased, there's going to be public anger, the temperature is very high". Farage really is the British Trump. #Marr
  • Options
    @patmcfaddenmp: On Marr, Farage getting his excuse out to reject all legal judgements based on his view of judges. Where does this end?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Single market access is pretty important for those wwc Sunderland car workers. It seems like a sensible position for Labour to me.

Exactly. There are very few countries in the world without access to the single market. It's what kind of access that's important. That's what businesses will be looking for, as well as Brits who now or in the future want to live/work in the EU.

Surely what is meant is Single Market.membership or at least Customs Union?

To my mind being held to EU rules without a say in them, and paying for the privilege is a pretty poor deal.
    And that's why we voted to Leave...
    It is why Brexit means Hard Brexit. Membership with a say in the rules is a different thing entirely.
    It's sweet that some people still think we had some kind of say in the rules before.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Carnage

May's probably best off not referencing her team. She should keep it to her versus Corbyn. Beyond that comparison the Tories lose their edge very quickly.

She might find a role for Hammond. Otherwise agreed.
  • Options
    Mr. Dadge, asking the people their opinion then conspiring to deny it is the behaviour of politicians who consider themselves the masters rather than the servants of the public.

The worst result for the UK would be staying in. Every unwelcome EU development would have the taint of treachery about it, as the political class forced us to remain in after we voted to leave.

Politics now is somewhat divisive and ugly. If the metropolitans gerrymander and conspire to deny the result, things will get much, much worse. If we leave (under whatever terms) things will gradually come back together.

As for 'playing the game', it was such games that led to Milo and Clodius.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

At the moment there's a chance it really could be that close. I have it 268 v 268 but a few states either way will tip it.

It sounds like there is no chance of Robert Satiacum changing his mind in Washington.

We might end up with a real mess. It's so so close this election. I'm actually really surprised we're not full time on this in thread discussions. It's the most important political job in the world, after all.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

how nasty the political atmosphere gets as a result; and how hard the anti-democrats are punished by the people if we are ultimately forced to have another vote.

The Brexiteers have made the political atmosphere nasty enough already. the calls for civil disobedience from them were ugly. Luckily the anti-democrats who want to abandon the rule of law are not yet in the ascendancy
    Must you always talk such complete and utter bollocks?
  • Options
    @anthonypainter: Farage says he has had 'taxpayer funded hate mobs chasing him around Britain'. Goes completely unchallenged. Such is politics 2016. #marr
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    When I try to answer the $64,000 question 'How can even one person vote for Trump let alone half the US' I always think of Arizona. The most unfamiliar people I've met whose native language is English. The whole crew of 50 went to church every Sunday which was a first but that wasn't it. They had a macho culture which I haven't seen before that wasted hours every day." You want the camera mounted 6" off the ground?" We can hand hold it from a moving vehicle......" What!! and they 'whooped' after every take.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEfJrZ5IrvU

• Options
    @jessphillips: Nigel Farage calling for people to get "even". This man is a hate fuelling coward. He doesn't give a toss about people or democracy.
  • Options
    @Alison_McGovern: Farage's narrative of betrayal and stirring up anger 'like never seen before' is dangerous. #marr
  • Options
    @RCorbettMEP: #farage now whipping it up on #marr, threatening violence in the streets - even if we leave EU and stay just in single market
  • Options
    p.s. my prediction is that Colorado will decide the election but that's only a hunch and it depends on one of the candidates not winning both Florida and Pennsylvania.

Trump has sealed up Ohio and it looks like he has now gone firm in previous wobbles like Utah and Arizona.

Probably.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

nielh said:

Carnage.

Next question please.

If May does not want to answer questions others will do it for her. If she refuses to say whether she believes sacrificing jobs and growth in order to control immigration is worth it, she'll effectively be saying it is. That is the right wing view, of course, but it might not be that popular. And then you have to ask yourself whether the multiple mediocrities and downright incompetents in the cabinet will be able to maintain message discipline.

No, she's not. It may be that the EU say F-Off. It's full membership or nothing. In which case it's a chose between upholding the decision made in the referendum or caving in. Until there are negotiations there is no certain picture of what might be possible
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Roger said:

When I try to answer the $64,000 question 'How can even one person vote for Trump let alone half the US' I always think of Arizona. The most unfamiliar people I've met whose native language is English. The whole crew of 50 went to church every Sunday which was a first but that wasn't it. They had a macho culture which I haven't seen before that wasted hours every day." You want the camera mounted 6" off the ground?" We can hand hold it from a moving vehicle......" What!! and they 'whooped' after every take.......

Nice ad and fun to see your work in practice. Good anecdote too - combines the can-do spirit with the macho weirdness streak.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Must you always talk such complete and utter bollocks?

Watch Farage on Marr before making yourself look foolish
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

At the moment there's a chance it really could be that close. I have it 268 v 268 but a few states either way will tip it.

It sounds like there is no chance of Robert Satiacum changing his mind in Washington.

We might end up with a real mess. It's so so close this election. I'm actually really surprised we're not full time on this in thread discussions. It's the most important political job in the world, after all.
    Care to list the states in each column?
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    I think it's fairly obvious: the only politically plausible outcome of a 52/48% vote is to be half in and half out, to use Peter Hitchens' phrase.

We were half-in. Norway's half-out. To reflect the vote, we'd better be 52% out which I interpret as Norway plus a few headline-grabbing but small gestures to Leavers. Anything else will lead to avoidable, continuing division and too much Leave will impoverish us given the costs imposed, including costs for tasks currently shared with the EU.

Back, er, on topic I bet a tiny amount on HRC at what seemed decent odds. Otherwise I think there's far too little value and too much risk in it unless you make 'trading the politics markets' a full time business.
  • Options
    Roger said:

The fact they speak English in the US leads a lot of Brits to believe they know the place better than they really do. I have been there countless times and it continues to be among the most "foreign" countries I know. I feel European in America in a way that I never feel when I visit elsewhere.

• Options

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Carnage

You think?

May-v-Corbyn

Hammond-v-McDonnell

Abbot-v-Anyone with a pulse.

Thornberry-v-Anyone even without a pulse.

Griffith-v-anyone who actually believes in defence.

Burgon-v-a tub of lard.

etc etc

I mean, this is a much weaker cabinet than Dave had but jeez....
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    Moses_ said:
    So probably unless it's very close we'll know the result around 1am, if Clinton wins convincingly we'll know around 12.30, and if it's a Clinton landslide we'll know when Trump loses Georgia around midnight.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Scott_P said:

@RCorbettMEP: #farage now whipping it up on #marr, threatening violence in the streets - even if we leave EU and stay just in single market

Well, what alternative does he have? His party tried democracy. They won 1 (one) seat.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:

nielh said:

Carnage.

Next question please.
    Yes, but parties are multi-headed monsters and the Tory party contains the full range from committed remainers through ultra-leavers. During an election campaign Tory MPs would all be giving their own slants on the issue and therein lies the problem.

In any case TND in yesterday's Sun gave a batch of other convincing reasons why May won't go for an election in 2017, including boundaries, the economy, and her probably needing that card in her hand come 2019.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Surely what is meant is Single Market.membership or at least Customs Union?

And that's why we voted to Leave...
    It is why Brexit means Hard Brexit. Membership with a say in the rules is a different thing entirely.
    It's sweet that some people still think we had some kind of say in the rules before.
    We certainly did. Indeed the Single Market was substantially the work of Mrs Thatchers government.
  • Options

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Carnage

Fine. May vs Corbyn in international negotiations. I'm sure she'd be happy with that comparison. (I've spent too long working in the private sector - always referencing "the team" rather than "me" when selling how great the firm is!)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Imagine he get's a peerage shortly and enters the HOL. Stranger things have happened
  • Options
    Just to add. Farage had the opportunity to cherry-pick from 650 seats, and found that even then he still couldn't get elected. It's entirely understandable that he doesn't like democracy.
  • Options

Think you have called this wrong TSE. Study US politics in detail and the polling. It's so close. My latest estimate has it 268 v 268. Florida is very very important but Trump could lose there and take PA. It might all come down to Colorado ... or those split electoral votes in Maine and Nebraska.

He's absolutely right to be hitting Clinton in her old firewall because polling shows she's no longer got it.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-the-campaign-is-almost-over-and-heres-where-we-stand/

And this re. Clinton's relative problems: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-why-clintons-position-is-worse-than-obamas/

The Dem guy on #Marr nevertheless puts a credible argument when he says that it will be this weekend that many voters shift their perspective from what they oppose to thinking about Trump actually siting in the White House. Just as with Miliband, a swing away from the least credible candidate in the last few days would be likely.
  • Options

Well, what alternative does he have? His party tried democracy. They won 1 (one) seat.

Yes, he put himself forward to the voters 7 times. And 7 times they told him where to go
  • Options

Alistair said:

There is a material risk that if Hillary gets elected but other damaging stuff gets released by the FBI before the Electoral College meets, there could be a full-scale revolt.
  • Options
    Mr. Nashe, and was on the winning side in the referendum.

If democracy doesn't work when the likes of Blair, Clegg etc don't agree with the result, then the electorate has a choice: turn to non-democratic means, or put up with not having their vote respected.

Neither of those options are good. And that's why efforts to undermine and reject the referendum result are repugnant.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Carnage

Fine. May vs Corbyn in international negotiations. I'm sure she'd be happy with that comparison. (I've spent too long working in the private sector - always referencing "the team" rather than "me" when selling how great the firm is!)

Sure - but when the team is visible and clearly not great it's best to avoid mentioning them. May v Corbyn, on the other hand, isn't even a contest. But a random donkey would beat Corbyn hands down too.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Wake up, watch Marrr, despair at British politics again. Never had it so bad.

Onus on May to fix it.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Carnage

Sure - but when the team is visible and clearly not great it's best to avoid mentioning them. May v Corbyn, on the other hand, isn't even a contest. But a random donkey would beat Corbyn hands down too.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Jonathan said:

Onus on May to fix it.

May cannot and wouldn't want to fix the Labour Party. She is very happy with it as it is.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

If May does not want to answer questions others will do it for her.

Yes, that's a very good point, which we see in politics a lot.

X: "What is your policy on children?"
    Y: "I am reviewing our policy and will announce it in due course"
    X: "You are secretly in favour of slaying the first-born, aren't you?"
    Y: "No, of course not."
    X: "So will you deny you want to slay the second-born?"
    Y: "I'm not going to get into a running discussion."

It's uncomfortable and ultimately unsustainable. And anyway the lines will leak from the discussions, so what's the point? Better to set out the broad objectives and just avoid saying where the red lines are.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Onus on May to fix it.

She can only fix it if her arms aren't tied behind her back
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

Charles said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

nielh said:

Carnage.

Next question please.

The problem with "I can pledge to the voters that we will achieve the best possible outcome." is that the 'best possible outcome" is highly dependent on the perspective of the viewer. Worse, that perspective has been corrupted by the highly divergent and incompatible claims of the various leave campaigns.

It is going to be a very hard sell, and she will have to expend a large amount of political capital that she might not have, even with Labour's problems.
    It comes down to May saying 'I pledge'. Then 'no comment'. People will just accuse her of being a 'mealy mouthed politician'. LIAR! LIAR!

Will you guarantee that we will stop paying in to the EU budget and commit to 350 million per week for the NHS ?

She will go for a parliamentary vote over a general election, but you can see why the preferred option is neither.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,748
    Roger said:

When the status quo is seen as, at best, a more gradual decline, people don't just want change they think it is essential. Trump represents change; Clinton clearly doesn't. It's an age not just when politicians are despised but when people are prepared to take them on in the ballot. Clinton is the politician's politician.

On PB where we are interested in results, we're the opposite of the low information voter and know this to be nonsense. Trump is just as much a politician as Clinton is, and maybe a cynical politician with mental health issues at that.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

nielh said:

Carnage.

Next question please.

Don't forget this is in an election campaign - it's a soundbite that sounds very sensible on the news. No capital expended. (I don't think she should call an election, but just refuting @ScottP 's assertion it would be "carnage")
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I've already said - there won't be an election until there is a deal done.

Want a bet?

I have £10 of David's money to play with
    Great - I get tie up a tenner until 2020....

But I'll offer you one of my special gold sovereign bets. You owe me a gold sovereign if no election by 1st January 2018; and I owe you a gold sovereign if there has been a general election by 1st January 2018.

Are you on? (Note: I am curently 2 for 2 on my pb.com gold sov bets....)
  • Options

Alistair said:

There is a material risk that if Hillary gets elected but other damaging stuff gets released by the FBI before the Electoral College meets, there could be a full-scale revolt.
    Indeed. That's another one to throw into the mix.
  • Options

It's uncomfortable and ultimately unsustainable. And anyway the lines will leak from the discussions, so what's the point? Better to set out the broad objectives and just avoid saying where the red lines are.
    Was this in Ed Ball's time?
  • Options
    Mr. P, the truth is we had the argument. The electorate made a choice.

Mr. Palmer, there's to be a negotiation. If May had control of both sides of the table, it'd be a legitimate criticism.

People asking for commitment to specifics make as much sense as asking a man on the first date whether he's going to end up having sex. It's not his decision alone to make, he can't guarantee it, and only a fool would think he could.
  • Options
    The key line from the Observer editorial is this

Brexiteers are fearful of losing the argument

Last night we had SeanT whining that others had to shut up. This morning we have had a series of Brexiteers whining that we are still discussing Brexit.

They know they are losing the arguments, so they want to stifle the debate.
  • Options
    If I'm reading Corbyn's comments right this morning, then he will join with May in voting for an early General Election.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Surely what is meant is Single Markets membership or at least Customs Union?

It's a vague enough phrase it could mean many things. It's real purpose, given it cannot be guaranteed as we do t know the price for or level if the access, is to establish labour as soft Brexit and Tories as hard Brexit.

Frankly, may will probably be happy with that, softer brexit types seem to require a lot more wrangling to manage.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    As Alastair Meekes pointed out a couple of days ago, the headlines attacking judges are only possible because last year the government with, so far as I can see, the support of the legal establishment, abolished the offence of Scandalising the Court.

What did they think was going to happen?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Roger said:

Great Ad!

I lived in Georgia for 5 years, and agree with SO. I feel much more European when in America, something that I did not feel in Australia or NZ when living there. I did not feel so alien in Mexico either.

The closest place culturally that I have found to the USA is amongst the Afrikaaners of South Africa. Now they have got past Apartheid, they are a fascinating bunch. Welcoming to strangers, devoted to their land and its outdoors, with a history of pioneering, guns and the Reformed Church. Lovely people, but culturally quite alien to Europeans.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    If May does hold an early election, I think it is improbable that a pro-Remain majority will sweep Corbyn or the Lib Dems into office.

She's favoured by both numbers and geography. 52% voted Leave, and the areas that voted Leave are either solid opposition territory, or very wealthy Conservative seats with huge majorities, where she can afford to lose votes. The Lab/Con marginals were solidly for Leave.

• Options

£350m for the NHS...

Now that the Brexiteers have admitted that was bollocks, it is possible the electorate might want to discuss the implications of their choice and where we go next?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Carnage

You think?

May-v-Corbyn

Hammond-v-McDonnell

Burgon-v-a tub of lard.

etc etc

May towers above Corbyn; Hammond beats McDonnell. Beyond that, the Tories still win, but the standard gets very low very quickly. Best keep them away from the cameras as you can't trust what they will say. Use Boris for internal confidence boosting.

The Tories are unbelievably fortunate that most Labour party members do not need a Labour government or fear a Tory one. If that changes before May calls a general election the political landscape could change very quickly.

• Options

The "broad objective" is the best deal for the UK. Beyond that is negotiation.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

If I'm reading Corbyn's comments right this morning, then he will join with May in voting for an early General Election.

So Corbyn is a turkey then...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Last night we had SeanT whining that others had to shut up. This morning we have had a series of Brexiteers whining that we are still discussing Brexit.

Remainers have already lost the argument. By over a million votes.
  • Options

Roger said:

Great Ad!

I lived in Georgia for 5 years, and agree with SO. I feel much more European when in America, something that I did not feel in Australia or NZ when living there. I did not feel so alien in Mexico either.

The closest place culturally that I have found to the USA is amongst the Afrikaaners of South Africa. Now they have got past Apartheid, they are a fascinating bunch. Welcoming to strangers, devoted to their land and its outdoors, with a history of pioneering, guns and the Reformed Church. Lovely people, but culturally quite alien to Europeans.
    Very interesting comments.

I do think that Democrat on Marr sounds desperate: 'they will return to the fold this weekend' sounds like the language of someone who thinks they're losing it to me.
  • Options

And if the "best deal" is worse than we have now?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

This is one of the reasons why I fear that the single market / EEA approach is sadly a non-starter: it will be seen as a betrayal, and there will be chaos, whipped up by the likes of Farage. In the end they will force us to leave the EEA as well.
  • Options
    Mr. P, we had a referendum campaign, and a vote. The economic collapse prophesied by the Remain campaigns hasn't emerged (the pound has fallen significantly but growth remains good, as does employment).

It's despicable to try and keep asking the electorate the same question until they give you an answer with which you agree.

The electorate voted to leave, and expect us to leave, not to have the political class decide the plebs got it wrong.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Scott_P said:

£350m for the NHS...

Now that the Brexiteers have admitted that was bollocks, it is possible the electorate might want to discuss the implications of their choice and where we go next?
    What you wish to do is to frustrate the choice that the voters have made.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Moses_ said:
    So probably unless it's very close we'll know the result around 1am, if Clinton wins convincingly we'll know around 12.30, and if it's a Clinton landslide we'll know when Trump loses Georgia around midnight.
    Assuming you are prepared to trust exit polls
  • Options

DavidL said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Carnage

You think?

May-v-Corbyn

Hammond-v-McDonnell

Burgon-v-a tub of lard.

etc etc

May towers above Corbyn; Hammond beats McDonnell. Beyond that, the Tories still win, but the standard gets very low very quickly. Best keep them away from the cameras as you can't trust what they will say. Use Boris for internal confidence boosting.

The Tories are unbelievably fortunate that most Labour party members do not need a Labour government or fear a Tory one. If that changes before May calls a general election the political landscape could change very quickly.

Oh I agree but this fish has rotted from the top and so long as Corbyn is leader the tories get a free ride, even when they don't deserve it.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, Farage, but also Corbyn, would be responsible for that.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    For anyone wondering how exposed the Clinton Foundation is - worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnLHoqj-XRM
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Those who get a worse deal will have to defend that deal to the electors. Who may or may not be forgiving.

It's what the biggest democratic vote this country has ever seen ordered up.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820

Scott_P said:

I am beginning to wonder if Tezza will deliver Brexit.

If she wanted to thwart it, what might she do?

Put the 3 most incompetent ministers in charge of it? Check

Fight a losing legal battle? Check

Appeal? Check

Appeal to the ECJ is next on the list...

If she doesn't deliver then she's finished. And she'd bring the entire political system down along with her.

Ultimately, A50 notification is only going to be blocked if (a) the Supreme Court case is lost, then (b) a Parliamentary majority can be found to frustrate the necessary instrument moved to allow it to happen, AND (c) parties backing Remain win a Commons majority in the General Election which would inevitably follow such a veto.

(a) is quite likely, (b) appears very unlikely in the Commons, but might happen if their Lordships decide to commit institutional suicide, but (c) seems almost impossible. There were majorities to Leave in the bulk of constituencies, and the notion of the main Opposition party, Labour, going into an election campaign effectively saying that "we want to throw the people's verdict into the dustbin, for the sake of upholding free market capitalism (whilst running on an entirely contradictory slate of Far Left economic policies) and unlimited open borders migration" is as preposterous as it is suicidal. It would be like the Charge of the Light Brigade, the First Day of the Somme, Pickett's Charge, Cold Harbour, the Anglo-Zanzibar War, or perhaps just the biblical Slaughter of the Innocents. Whichever historical parallel for an unmitigated and catastrophic massacre you prefer to use, that is what it would be for them.

One way or another, Brexit is coming. It's all just a matter of how hard Continuity Remain kicks, screams and obstructs the process; how nasty the political atmosphere gets as a result; and how hard the anti-democrats are punished by the people if we are ultimately forced to have another vote.
    I think that's a mostly fair summary. The court case is just about process, it matters little in terms of choosing to exit. A parliamentary vote is about political management, its more difficult so there is more opportunity for frustration. But it's very hard to see an openly ignore thevreferendum party winning a snap ge. You'd think May had been an official leaver all along she is do committed, and she coukd not survive standing up and saying, you know what, after all this is not a good idea.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

DavidL said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Carnage

You think?

May-v-Corbyn

Hammond-v-McDonnell

Burgon-v-a tub of lard.

etc etc

Good grief SO, hyperbole much?

Even if every single Labour party members wanted a Labour government it wouldn't make the blindest bit of difference. Labour polling is at its worst for generations - not just because of a few useless leaders, but because the party doesn't represent voters anymore. The problem is the party itself. A special interest group for metropolitans with outdated views for the 90s, let alone the 2010s. The world has moved on from socialism.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Carnage

You think?

May-v-Corbyn

Hammond-v-McDonnell

Burgon-v-a tub of lard.

etc etc

Oh I agree but this fish has rotted from the top and so long as Corbyn is leader the tories get a free ride, even when they don't deserve it.

Yep. The Labour party is letting the entire country down currently.

• Options
    Great line from Jeremy Hunt on Marr 'I was a remainer up until the 23rd June and after that I became a democrat'

He is also talking calmly and sensibly about the Courts and the process
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Scott_P said:

Tough. Leave won, so we are leaving regardless.

If any political party wishes to campaign on a platform of going back into the EU once we have left, then they are welcome to give it a try.
  • Options

The electorate voted to leave, and expect us to leave, not to have the political class decide the plebs got it wrong.

Did they vote to lose their jobs? Or for massive inflation? Are they entitled to be concerned about such things and involved in discussions?

Or do you just want the "little people" to shut up and let the experts deal with it?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited November 2016
    And here's the report mentioned

Wikileaks
    Confidential auditor's report states that Clinton Foundation is engaging in illegal conduct (see attachment tab) https://t.co/N5eBnBArYi https://t.co/fL5nCmIWF1
  • Options
    Mr. NorthWales, good line to take.

Hunt may yet have an eye on a future leadership bid. Any chap, or lady, who does knows pissing off a massive section of the party now could scupper it. That may help keep those at or near the top united.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    Scott_P said:

Losing the will to discuss the same issue with Remoaners 4 days after they 'won' the first leg of a post-war skirmish despite having lost the war.

We're Leaving. We're not fearful of losing the argument; we've won it.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Carnage

You think?

May-v-Corbyn

Hammond-v-McDonnell

Burgon-v-a tub of lard.

etc etc

Good grief SO, hyperbole much?

Even if every single Labour party members wanted a Labour government it wouldn't make the blindest bit of difference. Labour polling is at its worst for generations - not just because of a few useless leaders, but because the party doesn't represent voters anymore. The problem is the party itself. A special interest group for metropolitans with outdated views for the 90s, let alone the 2010s. The world has moved on from socialism.

I agree. But I struggle to see the Tories representing anyone beyond a few key interest groups too. A competent opposition would be taking this thoroughly mediocre, hopelessly divided government to the cleaners.

This discussion has been closed.