Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Memo to Seamus Milne: Your boss, Mr. Corbyn, needs to have a r

124»

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Interesting point of view:

"It doesn't matter who wins the US election. The decadent West is in terminal decline
    Christopher Booker"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/05/it-doesnt-matter-who-wins-the-us-election-the-decadent-west-is-i/
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,830

Nigelb said:

NoEasyDay said:

Scott_P said:

NoEasyDay said:

I hope she makes the most of this and uses it to rein in the judiciary

Abandon the rule of law...

The Brexiteers are unhinged.
    Parliament makes the law, not three judges.
    I rather think the judges made exactly that point; and nor does the prime minister.
    Nor does the EU?
    Who cares about what they think ?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Excellent horror movie on the horror ch now - horror express.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,798
    edited November 2016

Is there a site anywhere that analyses early voting systematically, like 538 does for polls? I'm having a really hard time working out what it all means if anything, and a lot of the commentary will be prone to confirmation bias.

Miami Herald provides good coverage in Florida. It seems to be an absolute knife edge with just 7000 votes separating the candidates on 6 million cast. The ballots haven't been opened so there may be discrepancies at that stage.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SeanT said:

Leavers will feel relief, and fall silent

No they won't.

They will never run out of imagined "betrayal" to whine about.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983

glw said:

It's very hard to analyse because the data, both hard and anecdotal, are completely all over the place.

I've given up reading reports of polling, there are so many pollsters, so many different types of poll, and so much spin that I can not make head nor tail of it. Anything between a Clinton landslide and Trump squeaking it seems possible based on what I've read.
    If the parameters are 'landslide' and 'squeaking it', that suggest the possibilities are pretty much weighted to one side.
    True, but it's still a huge range of outcomes.
  • Options
    Corbyn on an early GE:.
    He said: “If the Government calls an election we’re ready for it.

“We have the members, the organisation and the enthusiasm. We welcome the challenge.

“It would give us the chance to put before the British people an alternative economic strategy for this country.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jeremy-corbyn-gives-theresa-ultimatum-9204393
    So as expected, if May wants a General Election, the FTPA shouldn't stand in her way.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Hillary Clinton has improved her position to 1.28 on Betfair.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics/market/1.107373419
  • Options

SeanT said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

nunu said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

As PM Cameron liked making apologies for events in the past.

Perhaps he'd like to make one now for the mess he left.

Another Brexit meme that will never die.

Cameron said it would be a mess. He warned against voting for the mess. He campaigned against the mess.

You wanted the mess. Now you blame that guy that tried to stop you.

You won. Suck it up!
    Another Remainer lie. Cameron in fact said Britain could and would "thrive" outside the EU:

"EU referendum: Britain could thrive outside Europe, claims David Cameron"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-britain-could-thrive-outside-europe-claims-david-cameron-a6726606.html

He really was a fucking terrible prime minister.
    He said whatever suited him at the time like with Turkey. No one believed him when he said it won't be joining until the year 3,000 because he used to be Turkeys biggest cheerleader for joining.

All the talking out both sides of his mouth at the same time came back to bite him on the bum.
    Yes, my opinion of him could not be lower. He was a disaster, and will be seen as such, in time. A man who catastrophically overrated himself. Eton has a lot to answer for.
    All he had to do was give 16 and 17 year olds the vote, as Scotland had already done, and possibly also British citizens living abroad in the EU and elsewhere for longer than the 15-year cut off. But, as today's 'leak' of his conversation with Sturgeon reveals, he thought he could win regardless.
    I sympathise with Remainers, having Cameron at the helm in this referendum. Possibly the only prime minister in recent history who could have lost it. Arrogant and inept, lazy and myopic at the same time: just the worst combination. Refused Crosby's advice to delay the vote. A political midget in platform shoes.
    An irony is that Britain might well have voted to join the Euro if Blair had campaigned for it at his peak.
    No. If he'd thought he could win he'd have called the referendum.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    SeanT said:

It's not the legal ruling itself (apart from the very questionable role of Baron Thomas, who should have recused himself) which troubles me, is that the legal ruling was clearly part of a concerted attempt to derail Brexit entirely.

So the courts are being used to subvert democracy. This should stop.

The answer is not to be angry at what is a correct process to challenge government authority and those following that process without concern to the public will (since the public will is a matter for politicians, and we don't want our judges ruling the law is other than they think it is to satisfy public demand), it is to ensure that a) the government wins the appeal or b) if it does not, to fight to make sure attempts to stop Brexit do not succeed.

That people are using a process for their own ends to thwart the rederendum does not mean that process is incorrect. Our system did not make the democratic vote binding, that is an inescapable fact, which means someone has to formalise the democratic expression. The argument is over whether that is the government alone or parliament. If the law is it is not the government, that makes the process a little harder, but that's the law, and no talk of subverting democracy will change that, particularly since parliament had the power to ensure this question could never have been asked in the first place by being more explicit.

When people fight you within the rules, the answer is not to ignore the rules, it's to fight them back within the rules. I've said before and I'll say again, its a similar issue to that of free speech - in order to prevent inhibition of valuable speech, there will be much offensive and unworthy speech also protected. And in order to preserve the ability to challenge the government deciding for itself what is and is not within its power, which is a fundamental principle, that will mean there will be times when many unworthy challenges (or challenges used for ulterior motivations) occur.

Frustrating that the motivation eclipses all else, understandably, but the idea challenges should stop because the motivation of this one is undemocratic seems to me to have far more reaching and dangerous implications than accepting (should the gov lose the appeal, naturally) that the government misinterpreted the law, and will have to work a little bit harder to implement the result.

The result has not been prevented from implementation even if the ruling is upheld; it just means May will have to deal with a little more frustration in crossing Ts and dotting Is (or culling the Lords if they play silly buggers). Unfortunate for her, but better that occur than we suggest the government not be challengable so long as they are doing something popular, no matter what the law parliament itself sets may say.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

NoEasyDay said:

Scott_P said:

NoEasyDay said:

I hope she makes the most of this and uses it to rein in the judiciary

Abandon the rule of law...

The Brexiteers are unhinged.
    Parliament makes the law, not three judges.
    I rather think the judges made exactly that point; and nor does the prime minister.
    Nor does the EU?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Is there a site anywhere that analyses early voting systematically, like 538 does for polls? I'm having a really hard time working out what it all means if anything, and a lot of the commentary will be prone to confirmation bias.

Miami Herald provides good coverage in Florida. It seems to be an absolute knife edge with just 7000 votes separating the candidates on 6 million cast. The ballots haven't been opened so there may be discrepancies at that stage.
    The problem is getting from the raw numbers to the extrapolation for the general result. It's hard because you need to know:
    1) Results in previous years
    2) Changes in the rules that may have caused the result to deviate.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Interesting point of view:

"It doesn't matter who wins the US election. The decadent West is in terminal decline
    Christopher Booker"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/05/it-doesnt-matter-who-wins-the-us-election-the-decadent-west-is-i/

Shocking how Booker has turned from sunny natured optimist to cranky, reactionary Jeremiah.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051

If that is the Zombie flick, involving Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee and Telly Savalas with some Cossacks...it is an absolute masterpiece.

• Options
    NoEasyDay said:

the judges ignored the fact that parliament voted for the referendum and ignored the fact that Government would carry out the will of the people, which I might add was in the referendum legislation.

No they didn't

What they said was the executive can't strip citizen's rights without going through Parliament. They said "Government by whim" is illegal.

Which should be applauded, especially by Brexiteers who claimed that was what they wanted all along.

Unless they were not being truthful.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    tyson said:

If that is the Zombie flick, involving Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee and Telly Savalas with some Cossacks...it is an absolute masterpiece.

It is.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The answer is not to be angry at what is a correct process to challenge government authority and those following that process without concern to the public will (since the public will is a matter for politicians, and we don't want our judges ruling the law is other than they think it is to satisfy public demand), it is to ensure that a) the government wins the appeal or b) if it does not, to fight to make sure attempts to stop Brexit do not succeed.

Indeed.

The person who is screwing up the process (and the one SeanT should be mad at) is May
  • Options
    The other problem reading early votes is that the Dems have organization without enthusiasm while the GOP have enthusiasm without organization. You'd think organization would get people out early, while enthusiasm would get them out on the day.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

nunu said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Cameron said it would be a mess. He warned against voting for the mess. He campaigned against the mess.

You won. Suck it up!
    Another Remainer lie. Cameron in fact said Britain could and would "thrive" outside the EU:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-britain-could-thrive-outside-europe-claims-david-cameron-a6726606.html

He said whatever suited him at the time like with Turkey. No one believed him when he said it won't be joining until the year 3,000 because he used to be Turkeys biggest cheerleader for joining.

All the talking out both sides of his mouth at the same time came back to bite him on the bum.
    Yes, my opinion of him could not be lower. He was a disaster, and will be seen as such, in time. A man who catastrophically overrated himself. Eton has a lot to answer for.
    All he had to do was give 16 and 17 year olds the vote, as Scotland had already done, and possibly also British citizens living abroad in the EU and elsewhere for longer than the 15-year cut off. But, as today's 'leak' of his conversation with Sturgeon reveals, he thought he could win regardless.
    There are many things he could have done to rig the vote, like enfranchising EU nationals, giving a higher weighting to voters under 30 than to voters under 60, or to richer voters than to poorer voters, but he didn't so we are where we are.
    He couldn't win despite the £9 million leaflets, the fixed Treasury forecasts, and the extension of the registration deadline (way beyond what the duration of the technical fault merited).

Maybe he should have shortened the opening hours and cut the numbers of polling stations in Leave areas. You know, one station for the whole of Clacton-on-Sea, located on the edges of Frinton, open from 7:00-7:30.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

If the parameters are 'landslide' and 'squeaking it', that suggest the possibilities are pretty much weighted to one side.

I would agree, it's really the range of predicted outcomes that perplexes me. Some of the forecasters are going to be very wrong indeed.
  • Options

The other problem reading early votes is that the Dems have organization without enthusiasm while the GOP have enthusiasm without organization. You'd think organization would get people out early, while enthusiasm would get them out on the day.

That's as good and concise and intuitive an assessment I've seen to be honest....

That said, and as clever as your analysis is....how does that help inform my betting strategy?
  • Options
    tyson said:

"Glory" on BBC2 just finishing.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Wow. 21million jobs, this shows how weak the recovery has been.

Justin Wolfers ‏@JustinWolfers
    Total private-sector jobs created under
    Obama: +11.2 million (so far)
    GW Bush -0.4 million
    Clinton: +21.0 million
    GHW Bush: +1.5 million
  • Options
    tyson said:

That's as good and concise and intuitive an assessment I've seen to be honest....

That said, and as clever as your analysis is....how does that help inform my betting strategy?
    Decide if you think the other punters have any more clue than we do. If not, treat the early vote as a modest pro-Hillary data point. If yes, don't bet until you can find some proper analysis.
  • Options

tyson said:

That is a sublime movie...Mathew Broderick...and Morgan Freeman (I think)....

What a choice of movies for tonight.

I am (predictably) watching MoD on Iplayer.... slightly behind though....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    edited November 2016
    nunu said:

Wow. 21million jobs, this shows how weak the recovery has been.

Justin Wolfers ‏@JustinWolfers
    Total private-sector jobs created under
    Obama: +11.2 million (so far)
    GW Bush -0.4 million
    Clinton: +21.0 million
    GHW Bush: +1.5 million

So far? Since all the action is going to be in the last few months, obviously :D
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,798
    edited November 2016

The rough and ready but apparently accurate observation from previous elections in Florida is that early returns indicate the final result. It's just a question of who gets more. As the early returns are a dead heat that indicates a too close to call election result on that theory.
  • Options
    Delusions R Us:

Jeremy Corbyn gives Theresa May ultimatum: Agree to Labour's Brexit terms or I'll force election in spring

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jeremy-corbyn-gives-theresa-ultimatum-9204393
  • Options
    Makes sense if the campaigns think CO and NV have gone Dem.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

Indeed.

The person who is screwing up the process (and the one SeanT should be mad at) is May
    Was Cameron going to put Article 50 to a vote in the House of Commons?
  • Options

tyson said:

Decide if you think the other punters have any more clue than we do. If not, treat the early vote as a modest pro-Hillary data point. If yes, don't bet until you can find some proper analysis.
    Very sound advice..... If you used that analysis on Brexit night (maybe you did) you could have made an absolute killing.....
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    AndyJS said:

Hillary Clinton has improved her position to 1.28 on Betfair.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics/market/1.107373419

As there has been minimal polling news, presumably this is a reaction to stories about a large Latino vote, particularly in Nevada and potentially in Florida and North Carolina.

Perhaps Trump's fighting talk about the Mexicans wasn't very bright.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    tyson said:

tyson said:

That is a sublime movie...Mathew Broderick...and Morgan Freeman (I think)....

What a choice of movies for tonight.

I am (predictably) watching MoD on Iplayer.... slightly behind though....
    Glory is a superb film

This (completely unrelated) is my favourite book of the last several years.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mages-Blood-Moontide-Quartet-Book-ebook/dp/B0089XJY0M/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1478390694&sr=1-1&keywords=blood+of+the+mage

A stunning fantasy book that draws you in.

• Options

I read into that the Democrats are more than happy having Trump fighting deep into their territory........his supply lines (i.e. North Carolina/Florida/Nevada and Colorado) are very vulnerable....

Others could read that the Democrats are facing a Prussian late entry attack a la Waterloo and the war is lost........
  • Options
    Sunîl my i pad is broke again can u fix please.
  • Options

“We have the members, the organisation and the enthusiasm. We welcome the challenge.

“It would give us the chance to put before the British people an alternative economic strategy for this country.”

So as expected, if May wants a General Election, the FTPA shouldn't stand in her way.

Labour has an awesome ground game - where have I heard that before :-)
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

nunu said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

You won. Suck it up!

There are many things he could have done to rig the vote, like enfranchising EU nationals, giving a higher weighting to voters under 30 than to voters under 60, or to richer voters than to poorer voters, but he didn't so we are where we are.
    He couldn't win despite the £9 million leaflets, the fixed Treasury forecasts, and the extension of the registration deadline (way beyond what the duration of the technical fault merited).

Maybe he should have shortened the opening hours and cut the numbers of polling stations in Leave areas. You know, one station for the whole of Clacton-on-Sea, located on the edges of Frinton, open from 7:00-7:30.
    He fixed the vote as best as he could, I dont really blame him for that it is normal politics. What it does show that is that remain could not win whatever.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I'm sure if the time arrives that the government of the day accepts a referendum on Sharia Law and and based on ignorance and a false prospectus it goes through those who voted against it will not go quietly.

There are some things that are part of the fabric of the nation. Many on here have been part of the EU since they were born. That Farage and co aided by a xenophobic foreign owned press persuaded a narrow majority of mainly stupid people that they were going to enter the promised land just isn't good enough

You really are a piece of work Roger

Very "progressive" I am sure.
  • Options
    NoEasyDay said:

Sunîl my i pad is broke again can u fix please.

I avoid crApple products x
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    Suppose there were a referendum on keeping the NHS or abolishing the NHS, and the abolition side won but without a plan for what would come next. Would it not be entirely proper for the nature of the health system to remain a contentious issue in domestic politics?
  • Options
    “The story of this election may be the mobilization of the Hispanic vote,” said Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, an anti-Trump Republican who has pleaded with his party to do more to win over Latinos. “So Trump deserves the award for Hispanic turnout. He did more to get them out than any Democrat has ever done.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/us/politics/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-campaign.html
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited November 2016
    Corbyn on the GE trail is going to be hilarious...sorry harassing...
  • Options
    Chris said:

“The story of this election may be the mobilization of the Hispanic vote,” said Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, an anti-Trump Republican who has pleaded with his party to do more to win over Latinos. “So Trump deserves the award for Hispanic turnout. He did more to get them out than any Democrat has ever done.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/us/politics/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-campaign.html

I would be bitterly ironic for Trump if, having fought a winning campaign, it turned out to be his very first statement on entering the race that lost it for him.
  • Options
    Chris said:

k Hasen Retweeted
    Chris Geidner ‏@chrisgeidner 14m14 minutes ago

Chris Geidner Retweeted Igor Bobic

Nevada GOP Chair, Trump rally: "Last night, in Clark County, they kept a poll open until 10 o'clock at night so a certain group could vote."

Chris Geidner added,
    Igor Bobic @igorbobic
    Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npbfWWP5HCs&feature=share
    0 replies . 34 retweets 19 likes
  • Options

Corbyn on the GE trail is going to be hilarious...sorry harassing...

I hope reopening Fabric will be in the manifesto...
  • Options
    But here is an analysis of early voting by different racial groups, based on data up to last Tuesday, that concludes "the racial composition of the early vote may be enough to give Democrats pause and the Republicans hope."
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2016/11/04/whos-voting-early-latino-turnout-is-surging-but-white-turnout-is-too/
  • Options
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    edited November 2016
    tyson said:

Roger said:

I'm sure if the time arrives that the government of the day accepts a referendum on Sharia Law and and based on ignorance and a false prospectus it goes through those who voted against it will not go quietly.

There are some things that are part of the fabric of the nation. Many on here have been part of the EU since they were born. That Farage and co aided by a xenophobic foreign owned press persuaded a narrow majority of mainly stupid people that they were going to enter the promised land just isn't good enough

Roger...it has to be a hard Brexit with all that entails...and the sooner the better......There is no other way around it.

Maybe in a ten to fifteen years we can have another look, but we have to go through a hell of alot of pain before then....
    It's tempting to think we can sit back and watch as the embarrassing shambles unfolds but I fear it's going to be much uglier than that.

A new right wing alliance part Tory part UKIP forms the governent...... The Sun starts campaign to bring back hanging....... A referendum is promised.....The Mail leads a witch hunt against Judges liberals and the BBC....... The economy collapses.......Foreigners are targeted as the enemy within and the cause ......most leave voluntarily........the first execution for 50 years takes place...we become international pariahs.....

If this seems unlikely look at yesterday's Daily Mail. Day 1......
  • Options
    Chris said:

But here is an analysis of early voting by different racial groups, based on data up to last Tuesday, that concludes "the racial composition of the early vote may be enough to give Democrats pause and the Republicans hope."
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2016/11/04/whos-voting-early-latino-turnout-is-surging-but-white-turnout-is-too/

Those graphs look very good for Trump, particularly Florida.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    Roger said:

tyson said:

Roger said:

Roger...it has to be a hard Brexit with all that entails...and the sooner the better......There is no other way around it.

Maybe in a ten to fifteen years we can have another look, but we have to go through a hell of alot of pain before then....
    It's tempting to think we can sit back and watch as the embarrassing shambles unfolds but I fear it's going to be much uglier than that.

A new right wing alliance part Tory part UKIP forms...... The Sun starts campaign to bring back hanging....... A referendum is promised.....The Mail leads a witch hunt against Judges liberals and the BBC....... The economy collapses.......Foreigners are targeted as the enemy within ......most leave voluntarily........the first execution in Europe takes place for 50 years...we become international pariahs.....

Would you like to try and get any more OTT Roger?
  • Options
    A little Levity - Labour voters think they're 'cool' (relatively), followed by UKIP voters:

Net 'Cool now':
    Con: -35
    Lab: -21
    LibD: -32
    UKIP: -29

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/92vgkvi8xz/InternalResults_161102_Coolness4CB_W.pdf
  • Options
    Roger said:

tyson said:

Roger said:

You didn't strike me as someone who took the Daily Mail seriously........
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Floater said:

Roger said:

That must be the first comment that you've made on here that isn't in support of Israel. I knew you could do it.
  • Options

Roger said:

tyson said:

Roger said:

I didn't think anyone did until I saw the result of the referendum
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Roger said:

Floater said:

Roger said:

That must be the first comment that you've made on here that isn't in support of Israel. I knew you could do it.
    Ah, yes, I forgot you are a self-loathing Jew.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    nunu said:

k Hasen Retweeted
    Chris Geidner ‏@chrisgeidner 14m14 minutes ago

Chris Geidner Retweeted Igor Bobic

Nevada GOP Chair, Trump rally: "Last night, in Clark County, they kept a poll open until 10 o'clock at night so a certain group could vote."

Chris Geidner added,
    Igor Bobic @igorbobic
    Video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=npbfWWP5HCs&feature=share …
    0 replies . 34 retweets 19 likes

A "certain group"?

Vampires For Hillary!
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited November 2016
    tyson said:

I read into that the Democrats are more than happy having Trump fighting deep into their territory........his supply lines (i.e. North Carolina/Florida/Nevada and Colorado) are very vulnerable....

Others could read that the Democrats are facing a Prussian late entry attack a la Waterloo and the war is lost........
    The Democrats should just try to win the thing. Work hard to keep Florida and Pennsylvania, and work to keep Virginia too, which takes less effort, and let him have Ohio, New Hampshire, Iowa and Nevada. Then who cares about Michigan? Unfortunately, they're likely to lose Florida and may well also lose Pennsylvania.

• Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

tyson said:

Roger said:

The Sun was far more important in that referendum.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    How on earth can the prime minister invoke Article 50 and at the same time "guarantee access to the single market", even if she wanted to?
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

GIN1138 said:
    How on earth can the prime minister invoke Article 50 and at the same time "guarantee access to the single market", even if she wanted to?
    That depends what "access" means. If they phrase it as vaguely as that she could just say "I guarantee access to the single market" then say it was satisfied by WTO membership.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    Lewes exit poll: Trump 3 - 0 Clinton.

Looks like fun and games at a Trump rally in Reno, I wonder what that was all about?
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    Trump hussled off stage in Reno by secret service
  • Options
    OUT said:

Live here. He's back on stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQMUj6ETaNg
  • Options

Dromedary said:

GIN1138 said:
    That depends what "access" means. If they phrase it as vaguely as that she could just say "I guarantee access to the single market" then say it was satisfied by WTO membership.
    Or just by the ability to buy and sell anything at all!
  • Options
    Roger said:

Floater said:

Roger said:

Oh dear - find, say 1 post I have made in support of Israel in the last 3 months.

How about the last 6 months?

2 posts within the last 12 months? (just in case I ever made 1 )

You really are a sad joke
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

tyson said:

Roger said:

Or possibly the Daily Mail takes its readers seriously......
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    OUT said:

He later returned to the stage and declared "We are not going to be stopped". We're told that Trump has studied Hitler's speeches, but has he also looked at Mitterand's 1959 "Observatory Affair"?

Here he is being taken off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvkkZC7WEeg
  • Options
    Roger said:

Floater said:

Roger said:

Perhaps I am part of the Jewish conspiracy Roger.

Better put on your tinfoil hat just in case.

Word to the (not so) wise - try not to post when you are drunk.

You look even more stupid than normal.
  • Options
    Interesting to take a look at the 2012 result in Florida. Overall Obama won the state by 74,309 votes, and in Miami-Dade County by 208,459.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election_in_Florida,_2012
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

OUT said:

He then returned to the stage and declared "We are not going to be stopped". We're told that Trump has studied Hitler's speeches, but has he also looked at Mitterand's 1959 "Observatory Affair"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvkkZC7WEeg
    this is because of his rhetoric.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

OUT said:

He then returned to the stage and declared "We are not going to be stopped". We're told that Trump has studied Hitler's speeches, but has he also looked at Mitterand's 1959 "Observatory Affair"?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvkkZC7WEeg
    What's the Observatory Affair reference?

There was a comment in the rally online chatroom along the lines of "I'm at the rally and I'm going to shoot him" and after the rally I've just heard the moderators say on the live broadcast that they contacted the Secret Service and someone was subsequently picked up.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Dromedary said:

OUT said:

There was a comment in the rally online chatroom along the lines of "I'm at the rally and I'm going to shoot him" and after the rally I've just heard the moderators say on the live broadcast that they contacted the Secret Service and someone was subsequently picked up.
    Okay, looked the reference up. Nice trick.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    GeoffM said:

Dromedary said:

OUT said:

The Observatory Affair was when Mitterand staged a fake assassination attempt against himself. With Roger Stone involved there are likely to be some filthy dirty tricks to come.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I'm glad he's unharmed, but this event could have a major effect on voting.

Who are the guys in the military-style helmets?

Here is what he said when he returned to the stage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVNcM4rux74
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

tyson said:

Roger said:

The Sun was far more important in that referendum.
    It was The Sunil wot won it!
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

GIN1138 said:
    North Korea has 'access to the Single Market'........
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    Dromedary said:

tyson said:

The Democrats should just try to win the thing. Work hard to keep Florida and Pennsylvania, and work to keep Virginia too, which takes less effort, and let him have Ohio, New Hampshire, Iowa and Nevada. Then who cares about Michigan? Unfortunately, they're likely to lose Florida and may well also lose Pennsylvania.

are they likely to lose florida or PA? PA they lead massively, and in florida last few polls have a small clinton lead, and big EV Hispanic EV
  • Options
    Chris said:

hmmmm. doesnt say if the surge in white voters are with the educated or millenials. Or dems or Republicans. Or men and women. Clinton has leads with the young, Dems, educated and white women
  • Options
    619 said:

Chris said:

hmmmm. doesnt say if the surge in white voters are with the educated or millenials. Or dems or Republicans. Or men and women. Clinton has leads with the young, Dems, educated and white women
    This is true, but of the story being pushed is "Huge Latino turnout" then it seems important if it's really "huge turnout" or maybe just "more people finding out about early voting this year".
  • Options
    619 said:

Chris said:

There's evidence of white Dem women voting in higher numbers than 2012 in N.Carolina and Fl.

https://mobile.twitter.com/electionsmith/status/795061208143560704/photo/3

https://mobile.twitter.com/electionsmith/status/795064770324004864

This is FL.
  • Options

619 said:

Chris said:

This is true, but of the story being pushed is "Huge Latino turnout" then it seems important if it's really "huge turnout" or maybe just "more people finding out about early voting this year".
    yeah, but one of the stats i saw had 24% of latino voters being newly registered ones who never voted before, and the Dems certainly spinning that a low of them are unlikely to have lreviously voted voters.
  • Options
    619 said:

619 said:

Chris said:

yeah, but one of the stats i saw had 24% of latino voters being newly registered ones who never voted before, and the Dems certainly spinning that a low of them are unlikely to have lreviously voted voters.
    Yup, the interesting part is when you compare with the pollsters' likely voter screens and see which unlikely voters are unlikelily voting.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited November 2016
    Could McMullin win it for Clinton ?

Shouldn't a die-hard Democrat vote McMullin and other Democrats down ballot ?

https://heatst.com/politics/final-utah-poll-evan-mcmullin-beats-clinton-closes-trump/
  • Options
    New Hampshire is the one I am worried about. Nevada seems to be for Clinton.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

My forecast for votes cast as a percentage:

Trump 52.31%

Clinton 47.69%

Trump could win the election but Clinton would definitely win the popular vote.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MikeK said:

Trump 52.31%

Clinton 47.69%

I love the way the numbers he pulls out of his arse are precise to two decimal places.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,735
    edited November 2016
    Floater said:

Labour has an awesome ground game - where have I heard that before :-)
    ---------------------------
    MattW:

I rather think Mr Corbyn is a natural optimist. Perhaps it comes from growing vegetables in Islington.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,735
    edited November 2016

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

Trump 52.31%

Clinton 47.69%

I love the way the numbers he pulls out of his arse are precise to two decimal places.
    Some of us have bought cars by £5 bidding eg £4605 at an auction :-)

Random precision has benefits!
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    MattW said:

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

Trump 52.31%

Clinton 47.69%

Some of us have bought cars by £5 bidding eg £4605 at an auction :-)

Random precision has benefits!
    Google has been known to make bids where the insignificant amounts happen to be mathematically important numbers - e, pi, phi etc.
This discussion has been closed.