Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The legacy from the coalition that ties Theresa May’s hands on

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Alistair said:

Chris said:

619 said:
    I see the latest update of Nate Cohn's North Carolina analysis shows Hillary Clinton's projected lead up to 6.4%.

This is essentially a recalibration of a poll from a fortnight ago, based on demographic data about early voters. As the polls have shifted since then, it certainly can't be taken at face value, but his initial projection was a 6% Clinton lead, so it does imply that in demographic terms the turnout so far is better than had been expected for Clinton.
    Yeah, I am not trusting Cohn's analysis at all. I think Trump has won NC.

I think you are misunderstanding it mate. He has NC 48.3% Clinton 51.7% trump, basically a toss
  • Options
    "Donald Trump will be in Reno on Saturday, but the Republicans almost certainly lost Nevada on Friday.

Trump's path was nearly impossible, as I have been telling you, before what happened in Clark County on Friday. But now he needs a Miracle in Vegas on Election Day -- and a Buffalo Bills Super Bowl championship is more likely -- to turn this around. The ripple effect down the ticket probably will cost the Republicans Harry Reid's Senate seat, two GOP House seats and control of the Legislature."

http://www.ktnv.com/news/ralston/the-nevada-early-voting-blog
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,406
    I have a question to ask.

Has anybody yet seen any analysis of the implications of this ruling for a second Scottish referendum?
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited November 2016
    Clinton's spread with Sporting's ECV market is tonight higher still at 305 - 315 that's up a huge 20 ECVs over the past 24 hours. Trump is 84 ECVs behind on 221 - 231.

Shades of Kenneth Wolstenhome some 50 years ago : "The crowd are coming onto the pitch, they think it's all over ....... "

Should it nudge up a few more points tomorrow or on Monday, I'll be getting out - it's been a hairy ride over the past 8 days, having initially looked like a free money tree. I certainly didn't appreciate Sporting closing this market for 3 days earlier this week, thereby preventing me from trading out then and as for their 15 point margin, since aped by Spreadex, words fail me.
  • Options

tyson said:

Blinking heckers...trying to wade through all this legal twaddle to try and find some nuggets on the US election is hard going. I'm mean FFS...it's the Saturday before the biggest betting night in politics ever...

TSE....can you not just create some kind of junk folder where all these endless and boring legal posts go. To think there could well be years of this to come,,,and those talking about bloody trade deals too. Oh gawd......

Don't tell anyone, but constitutional (law) discussions give me the horn. It is the only subject I find more exciting than AV.

Just remember, the last chap who thought about challenging Parliamentary sovereignty had his head chopped off, and he was only the King of England.
    The same AV wot was rejected by the UK public by 68% to 32%?

BTW James II was overthrown peacefully-ish.
    Please do not feed the Moderator troll. Life is too short...!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,079
    edited November 2016

SeanT said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

There does seem to be a view that for the Press to criticise judges (however ignorant that criticism may be) is akin to blasphemy. I think the judges are quite capable of ignoring criticism

There is a big difference between criticising judges and accusing them of bias. Friday morning's front pages were unprecedented and based on the flimsiest of evidence.
    I've given you evidence, which you have studiously ignored. Baron Thomas, who ruled on A50:

"is one of the Founding Members of the European Law Institute, a non-profit organisation that conducts research, makes recommendations and provides practical guidance in the field of European legal development with a goal of enhancing the European legal integration."

He should have recused himself. Clear conflict of interest.

I am less concerned by the openly gay fencer.
    Except that all of us can read their judgement in full, and there is no bias that is apparent. Cromwell won the civil war and they are simply respecting the result.
    Carl Gardner, a senior legal Remainer, thinks the judgement was rubbish, or, as he puts it, surprising, problematic, and wrongly decided.
    Prof Tomkins:

Herein lies the fatal flaw in the third step of the High Court’s reasoning: how can the 1972 Parliament coherently be said to have intended an outcome that was not established in our constitutional law until nearly thirty years later? A ruling that relies on the proposition that the European Communities Act must be interpreted as if its authors intended their work to prevent ministers from exercising their prerogative powers over the making and unmaking of treaties is one that is inevitably anachronistic. It is therefore an irrational conclusion and, for that reason, there must surely be at least the prospect that the UK Supreme Court will in time overturn this week’s High Court ruling.
    Tomkins is a total donkey
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

"Donald Trump will be in Reno on Saturday, but the Republicans almost certainly lost Nevada on Friday.

Trump's path was nearly impossible, as I have been telling you, before what happened in Clark County on Friday. But now he needs a Miracle in Vegas on Election Day -- and a Buffalo Bills Super Bowl championship is more likely -- to turn this around. The ripple effect down the ticket probably will cost the Republicans Harry Reid's Senate seat, two GOP House seats and control of the Legislature."

http://www.ktnv.com/news/ralston/the-nevada-early-voting-blog

I'll assure you that the Buffalo Bills are not going to win the Superbowl.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

glw said:

Not the ordinary person's, not even the media's but the people who are in charge of the country - politicians, judges, bankers etc

Exactly, all we did is believe what were told and vote, it's not our fault that the country is run by weasels.

Indeed.

To the average person this looks like some shysters wriggling out of what they had promised.

Trust has gone.

The A50 judgement is only the latest straw after endless lies on immigration, the bankers walking away with their millions, politicians and their expenses, Philip Green and the BHS pension fund, tax dodgers and child abusers at the BBC, criminal plods, the Iraq war lies etc etc etc

We're told that we have to 'respect' Judges.

Why ???

In my world respect has to be earned first and the British establishment has done damn all to earn that respect.
    And this is exactly why, if the establishment don't get their head out of the clouds and start coming to terms with the referendum pretty soon, things might actually turn very nasty.

The country feels like a powder keg right now, waiting to ignite...

I think Theresa May does "get" this but most of the establishment don't yet.

So, what will happen?

• Options

Clinton's spread with Sporting's ECV market is tonight higher still at 305 - 315 that's up a huge 20 ECVs over the past 24 hours. Trump is 84 ECVs behind on 221 - 231.

Shades of Kenneth Wolstenhome some 50 years ago : "The crowd are coming onto the pitch, they think it's all over ....... "

Should it nudge up a few more points tomorrow or on Monday, I'll be getting out - it's been a hairy ride over the past 8 days, having initially looked like a free money tree. I certainly didn't appreciate Sporting closing this market for 3 days earlier this week, thereby preventing me from trading out then and as for their 15 point margin, since aped by Spreadex, words fail me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg2CXkJVCHk
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,827
    GIN1138 said:

glw said:

Not the ordinary person's, not even the media's but the people who are in charge of the country - politicians, judges, bankers etc

Exactly, all we did is believe what were told and vote, it's not our fault that the country is run by weasels.

Indeed.

To the average person this looks like some shysters wriggling out of what they had promised.

Trust has gone.

The A50 judgement is only the latest straw after endless lies on immigration, the bankers walking away with their millions, politicians and their expenses, Philip Green and the BHS pension fund, tax dodgers and child abusers at the BBC, criminal plods, the Iraq war lies etc etc etc

Why ???

In my world respect has to be earned first and the British establishment has done damn all to earn that respect.
    And this is exactly why, if the establishment don't get their head out of the clouds and start coming to terms with the referendum pretty soon, things might actually turn very nasty.

If either of those propositions were true, how does it explain her masterful inactivity ?
  • Options

We're in a badly overwrought situation.

Lets consider some of the aspects of how we got here:

1) Government leaflets telling voters that they would make the decision

2) A Prime Minister who told the voters that he would be immediately trigger A50 and then didn't

3) A Court decision overruling what the government leaflets had told the voters about them making the decision

4) The EU - an organisation with a decades long history of overturning referendum results

5) A widespread feeling that the law is NOT equal and that "there's one rule for them and another for the rest of us"

Its a mess isn't it.

But who's fault is it ?

You might also add to your list the numerous Continuity Remain politicians and media personalities, who deftly combine outrage about the danger to democracy posed by the demonization of judges with loud and continuous demands for Parliament to ignore the referendum result and cancel Brexit.

It's no wonder that so many people are willing to swallow a narrative of betrayal, when many in positions of power want to betray them and are proud to say so.

Luckily, no Leave politicians have told any lies at all.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,980

538 have 291 to 246, RCP have 297 to 241.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141

Alistair said:

Chris said:

619 said:
    I see the latest update of Nate Cohn's North Carolina analysis shows Hillary Clinton's projected lead up to 6.4%.

This is essentially a recalibration of a poll from a fortnight ago, based on demographic data about early voters. As the polls have shifted since then, it certainly can't be taken at face value, but his initial projection was a 6% Clinton lead, so it does imply that in demographic terms the turnout so far is better than had been expected for Clinton.

I think you are misunderstanding it mate. He has NC 48.3% Clinton 51.7% trump, basically a toss
    I think you mean Nate Silver on 538. I'm talking about Nate Cohn in the New York Times:
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/upshot/north-carolina-early-vote-tracker.html?_r=0
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

There does seem to be a view that for the Press to criticise judges (however ignorant that criticism may be) is akin to blasphemy. I think the judges are quite capable of ignoring criticism

I would compare it to criticising the referees after a defeat and then further accusing them of bias exacerbated by one of them being an admitted homosexual.

A football manager would probably get a lifetime ban. The Daily Mail gets a bunch of nodding donkeys on PB agreeing with them
    Football fans accuse referees of all manner of depravities.
    Exactly. The Daily Mail is not our manager.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    This is priceless

@VLubev: @Maomentum_ Journalists are a reserve of the Oxbridge elite.
    Corbyn should answer the people's questions. Not the establishment's.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsQeR1HlhHY

Trump Plane 2016

Must cost Trump a pretty penny to fly that thing around the country – and very convenient.
    It's leased to the campaign by a Trump company. He's making money on it.
    Not sure how that works, someone's picking up the tab, be it his company or Trump himself.
    The campaign is picking up the tab at the moment. All those small donation are going to pay Trump to fly around in his own aircraft. And rent office space from himself. And pay for holding fund raising events in his resorts.
    He sounds to a smart businessman, - I take it Hilary is just spending everyone’s money...!
    He is a very smart businessman, he even gets out of paying dishwashers.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

That's a huge difference of almost 40 ECVs between what the polls are saying and what the betting market believes, but there again Florida alone with its 29 ECVs swinging one way or the other alters that differential by 58 ECVs.
  • Options

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

I would compare it to criticising the referees after a defeat and then further accusing them of bias exacerbated by one of them being an admitted homosexual.

A football manager would probably get a lifetime ban. The Daily Mail gets a bunch of nodding donkeys on PB agreeing with them
    Look, nobody's saying the Mail was acting responsibly, but you'd imagine an openly gay fencer probably won't be triggered by being called an openly olypmic ex-gay fencer, irrespective of the unpleasant motives.
    You don't think a Jewish judge would be offended by a newspaper saying, in effect, "You can't trust this man's judgment - he's Jewish"?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

It occurs to me that Brexit is a revolutionary act. Literally. It changes everything, and overthrows the present system of government.

We therefore need revolutionary courts, dispensing revolutionary justice. This is what happens when you have revolutions.

I am ready to serve on the people's tribunals.

When do we kill all the lawyers?
    When they start floating within the Mid-Atlantic?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

2) A Prime Minister who told the voters that he would be immediately trigger A50 and then didn't

3) A Court decision overruling what the government leaflets had told the voters about them making the decision

4) The EU - an organisation with a decades long history of overturning referendum results

5) A widespread feeling that the law is NOT equal and that "there's one rule for them and another for the rest of us"

Its a mess isn't it.

But who's fault is it ?

You might also add to your list the numerous Continuity Remain politicians and media personalities, who deftly combine outrage about the danger to democracy posed by the demonization of judges with loud and continuous demands for Parliament to ignore the referendum result and cancel Brexit.

It's no wonder that so many people are willing to swallow a narrative of betrayal, when many in positions of power want to betray them and are proud to say so.

Of course a load of politicians on both sides made dubious claims during the referendum campaign.

This, however, has absolutely nothing to do with the specific point that I was actually making, so I don't know why you bothered to respond to it to be honest.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited November 2016
    Chris said:

Alistair said:

Chris said:

619 said:

I think you mean Nate Silver on 538. I'm talking about Nate Cohn in the New York Times:
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/upshot/north-carolina-early-vote-tracker.html?_r=0
    I've actually just thought of a thing that might make me completely change my view on the situation in NC. It depends how the state classifies Hispanics. If the 'white' figure is including some Hispanics (who are 10% of the state) then I rescind all my preciius comments.

As is I just don't see how the Dems overcome the missing African Americans.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,980

Sean_F said:

That's a huge difference of almost 40 ECVs between what the polls are saying and what the betting market believes, but there again Florida alone with its 29 ECVs swinging one way or the other alters that differential by 58 ECVs.
    There are several States with very small leads for each side.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Alistair said:

Chris said:

619 said:

Yes I did, never knew there were two Nates. How confusing.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/DAaronovitch/status/794973339219558401

The English Left has discovered something new to fight about. Half of them think that the Labour Party should contest Parliamentary by-elections. The other half don't.
  • Options

Its a mess isn't it.

But who's fault is it ?

Of course a load of politicians on both sides made dubious claims during the referendum campaign.

This, however, has absolutely nothing to do with the specific point that I was actually making, so I don't know why you bothered to respond to it to be honest.

Just pointing out that the part of the Establishment which chose to back Leave is equally as culpable for the general malaise as that part of the Establishment that supported Remain. The Leave Establishment is now using the newspapers it controls to inflame sentiment against the Remain Establishment.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369
    edited November 2016
    Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

glw said:

Indeed.

Trust has gone.

Why ???

If either of those propositions were true, how does it explain her masterful inactivity ?
    Why should she reveal her negotiationing tactics for 650 MPs to argue ad infinitum and prejeudice the chances of a deal. I assume she is using the time for the appeal to put together a thought through response depending on the decision of the appeal.

She will have a response at that time but do not expect her to give anything away beforehand.

The response when it comes will put every MP on the spot and if you think this weeks headlines have been tough you haven't seen anything yet to the response from the print media if MPs play ducks and drakes or worse stop A50 being served unconditionally

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,901

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

glw said:

Indeed.

Trust has gone.

Why ???

Why should she reveal her negotiationing tactics for 650 MPs to argue ad infinitum and prejeudice the chances of a deal. I assume she is using the time for the appeal to put together a thought through response depending on the decision of the appeal.

She will have a response at that time but do not expect her to give anything away beforehand.

The response when it comes will put every MP on the spot and if you think this weeks headlines have been tough you haven't seen anything yet to the response from the print media if MPs play ducks and drakes or worse stop A50 being served unconditionally

Its crap living in a democracy where a government has to consult the people about how we are to be governed. Lets appoint Boris Emperor and let him get on with it
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Chris said:

Alistair said:

Chris said:

619 said:

I've actually just thought of a thing that might make me completely change my view on the situation in NC. It depends how the state classifies Hispanics. If the 'white' figure is including some Hispanics (who are 10% of the state) then I rescind all my preciius comments.

Well Nate [C]'s argument was essentially that his projection would respond to any differences between actual early voter turnout and the turnout assumed in the poll his analysis is based on. As his projected lead for Clinton is a bit bigger than the original figure, I suppose that means that on the whole early voting has been somewhat better for Clinton than the poll assumed.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Chris said:

Alistair said:

Chris said:

619 said:

Yes I did, never knew there were two Nates. How confusing.
    I just love it when someone says something like that.

I can imagine some people might argue all afternoon about how they were really right despite all appearances :-)
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Chris said:

Alistair said:

Chris said:

619 said:

their prediction takes into acount white share increasing and black share falling, on the basis she is winning the educated white vote which is a big share in north carolina.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

glw said:

Indeed.

Trust has gone.

Why ???

Its crap living in a democracy where a government has to consult the people about how we are to be governed. Lets appoint Boris Emperor and let him get on with it
    I think if there aren't enough white, Anglo-Saxon, protestant, red-blooded men in the Supreme Court to do the right thing, she should take it to the European Court, really she should.

• Options
    Have just backed Michelle Obama, Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders :D (Getting more money to play with for election night)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

Its a mess isn't it.

But who's fault is it ?

That doesn't make the anger in this instance any more reasonable, even if it is understandable, it's still based on deliberately ignoring the truth in favour of a comforting but false narrative of what happened. Honestly, those hoping against hope we can still remain are not helping getting something more achievable, like a softer Brexit, but anger at them is one thing, extrapolating that to anger at everything those people might be involved in, even when it is a point of law, is quite another. One is reasonable, the other not.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Alistair said:
    That would be an especially idiotic way to lose.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Have just backed Michelle Obama, Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders :D (Getting more money to play with for election night)

should have a punt on Elizabeth warren aswell.
  • Options
    Hello, someone posted a tweet about how when Trump was thinking about running for New York Governor his pollster hid some bad polling from him, could someone please repost that tweet. Ta
  • Options
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

should have a punt on Elizabeth warren aswell.
    Lol Nah she is sitting happily on -1170
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    Lol that is quite funny - not giving him the results he wants to see I assume.
  • Options
    Ed Balls can actually dance now. Praise from Craig Revel Horwood
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Hello, someone posted a tweet about how when Trump was thinking about running for New York Governor his pollster hid some bad polling from him, could someone please repost that tweet. Ta

I see you've enabled the Brian Blessed HTML tags.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

It was 666 at 5:27pm your time
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

It was 666 at 5:27pm your time
    Merci.
  • Options
    Blimey - Ed could win this
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    RobD said:

THIS IS BRIAN BLESSED
  • Options
    RobD said:

THIS IS THE BRIAN BLESSED HTML TAG

• Options
    Yeah, don't use the Brian Blessed HTML tag, it really annoys Robert
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    titters :D
  • Options
    (((Harry Enten)))
    (((Harry Enten))) – Verified account ‏@ForecasterEnten

With third party candidates, PA Poll is Clinton +4 from Muhlenberg http://www.mcall.com/news/local/elections/mc-pa-poll-trump-clinton-toomey-mcginty-20161105-story.html
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

The English Left has discovered something new to fight about. Half of them think that the Labour Party should contest Parliamentary by-elections. The other half don't.

I assume Labour won't stand in the whole of Southern England and the Shires in 2020!
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Trump is a chiselling crook who doesn't pay the people who work for him. He owes his pollster $700,000.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Does anyone really think that having a debate in parliament about Article 50 will make any MP change their minds? Honestly?

The reasons for their votes will be strong Europhile feelings, strong Brexit sympathies, and the way their constituency voted. The debate itself will be irrelevant and will serve no purpose other than to give MPs the chance to subvert the will of the people.

They have to weigh the perils of telling the voters to Fuck off, with the warm feeling they'll have by getting their own way.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yes I did the same also Ryan and mcmullin
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,273
    edited November 2016
    Jobabob said:

Trump is a chiselling crook who doesn't pay the people who work for him. He owes his pollster $700,000.

There's an outside chance that he actually believes that it's part of a pollster's job to provide 'good' polls.
  • Options
    Nate Silver has an overview of the state of play here:
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-the-campaign-is-almost-over-and-heres-where-we-stand/?ex_cid=2016-forecast

No surprises until the end, where he comments on the early-voting numbers, which he evidently thinks are favourable to Clinton (he refers to Nate Cohn's finding that some of Clinton's early voters are "low-propensity" ones, who are screened out by some polls). Silver thinks a good turnout may be important for Clinton, and says he can imagine her doing well in Nevada, North Carolina and Florida to win the contest, despite losing a state like Michigan. [The exact opposite of Trump's hope of winning on a high turnout of non-voters, in fact.]
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Pulpstar said:
    Puts the hyperbole about civil unrest in this country into perspective.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Dixie said:

I assume Labour won't stand in the whole of Southern England and the Shires in 2020!
    If they are going to start selectively contesting seats, then they might as well not bother to try to win anything in the South East, South West or East Anglia, beyond the dozen or so that they are actually defending. It would save an awful lot of money and wasted effort.

People in theoretical Labour targets like Stevenage, Ipswich and Waveney aren't going to embrace the Far Left in anything like the required numbers to defeat the Tories.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I just came across this with Barbara Bush by chance. Nothing special but it does raise the question how moronic would someone have to be to vote for Trump? I've never seen anyone quite as repulsive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNboNXFvVYM
  • Options

Pulpstar said:
    Puts the hyperbole about civil unrest in this country into perspective.
    Yes, the euro has wrecked havoc.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

There's an outside chance that he actually believes that it's part of a pollster's job to provide 'good' polls.
    Odds on.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited November 2016
    Off-topic, occasioned by hearing a guest on Radio 4 say that "the [ancient] Romans weren't racist":

* first recorded use of "racialism" or "racialist": 1907
    * first recorded use of "racism" or "racist": 1932

Source: OED.

(I am not suggesting that attitudes don't exist until they're named; they do. I just thought this was interesting.)
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Isn't this no more than a proxy for his dislike of Corbyn.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The story goes that once contractors in Atlantic City realised Trump regularly stiffed them for 50 percent of the contract they all agreed to double their rates when bidding for Trump work.
  • Options

Dixie said:

If they are going to start selectively contesting seats, then they might as well not bother to try to win anything in the South East, South West or East Anglia, beyond the dozen or so that they are actually defending. It would save an awful lot of money and wasted effort.

People in theoretical Labour targets like Stevenage, Ipswich and Waveney aren't going to embrace the Far Left in anything like the required numbers to defeat the Tories.
    It's the way forward, a a beautiful path to extinction. 150 seats for Lab
  • Options
    Dixie said:

It's the way forward, a a beautiful path to extinction. 150 seats for Lab

https://twitter.com/johnmcternan/status/794903901380247552
  • Options
    I was in Egypt for Brexit referendum, had to enjoy alone. Now off to Morocco for US elec. Here's hoping for Trump but Hillary looks home and dry. I accept I am often wrong. this site is the only communication to real world of politics. Thank you all
  • Options
    matt said:

Isn't this no more than a proxy for his dislike of Corbyn.
    Plenty of people have no time for Corbyn, but I interpret the root cause as desperation, pure and simple. Advocates of the "progressive alliance" strategy are hoping that they can minimise Labour losses to the Tories by scraping together loaned votes from the Lib Dems and Greens in their marginal defences.

The really big problem with this theory is that any kind of leftist stitch-up will give the Tories carte blanche to do a counter-deal with Ukip, neutralising any likely benefit. Fundamentally, it just makes Labour look weak and defeatist.
  • Options
    @richardosman: If Ed Balls gets voted out this week the High Court are going to refer the decision to Parliament. #Strictly
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Scott_P said:

@richardosman: If Ed Balls gets voted out this week the High Court are going to refer the decision to Parliament. #Strictly

No. There should be a referendum proper. We cannot let the mobile phone mafia to rule the country.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    nunu said:

(((Harry Enten)))
    (((Harry Enten))) – Verified account ‏@ForecasterEnten

With third party candidates, PA Poll is Clinton +4 from Muhlenberg http://www.mcall.com/news/local/elections/mc-pa-poll-trump-clinton-toomey-mcginty-20161105-story.html

In the 20 highest weighted (*) PA polls in the 538 model:

- Clinton leads in 19
    - The other is tied

(*) Not quite the same as the 20 most recent polls - but not much different.
  • Options
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

No. There should be a referendum proper. We cannot let the mobile phone mafia to rule the country.
    Or those with access to the internet, phones & mobiles.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Trying to maximise Tory splits by giving a very soft Brexit list of demands.

Mr Corbyn’s bottom lines are:

UK access to 500 million customers in Europe’s single market.
    No watering down of EU workplace rights.
    Guarantees on safeguarding consumers and the environment.
    Pledges on Britain picking up the tab for any EU capital investment lost by Brexit

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    dr_spyn said:
    He must be bored of the job - looking for a way out.....
  • Options
    Floater said:
    Hillary's husband accepts money for his charity. Surely a game changer
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    He must be the most delusional political leader there has ever been.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

I, for my part, only talked about the misbehaviour of some of the politicians and media personalities who want to unpick the verdict of the people, because it runs contrary to what they want. This is beyond dispute. They have called for Parliament to veto Brexit quite unashamedly. I didn't mention the judges at all.

It's not misbehaviour to regret the result of a vote and hope that circumstances arise where it may be reconsidered, any more than it would be if Labour was elected and you hoped for an early new election that might reverse the result. It's a free country and you're entitled to hope that if you want to.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @NickPalmer

'It's not misbehaviour to regret the result of a vote and hope that circumstances arise where it may be reconsidered,'

It's not misbehaviour ,its subverting a democratic vote.

And politicians wonder why their reputation is in the gutter.
This discussion has been closed.