Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The big hope for Trump now is that there will be a polling fai

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,279
    tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

619 said:

PlatoSaid said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

Loads of good news this morning!

@BBCPhilipSim: David Mundell being pressed on free movement post-Brexit; he says there is "no intention to stop people coming, completely, from the EU"

Economy booming. Manufacturing assured. Free movement of people

It's almost like we are members of the EU...

Gove on Sky says there should be principle that all UK immigrants are subject to the same rules regardless of the country they are from.
    Only a racist could disagree with that.
    I do wonder if its yet dawned on Team Hillary that since her 'deplorables' speech - she's totally destroyed the main shame attack lines. She nuked a whole bunch of -isms in a few minutes, whilst thinking how clever she was.

And the Right are now using the Left's tactics at rallies - something we're entirely unused to. Up to now, the Right were mostly turn-the-other-cheek sorts who didn't play that game. Now the gloves are off and Bill Is A Rapist hecklers turn up to DNC events.

I don't like it from either side - but it must be a shock for Lefties to get a taste of their own medicine for once.
    I dunno, Trump being a racist tax cheat who boasts about grabbing women by the pussy without their permission is definitely a message which broke through.
    :smiley:
    I just wonder sometimes what alternate universe Plato lives in

One in which Trump wins. Meanwhile back on earth...
  • Options

Scott_P said:

horse shit

accurately describes this post

"having spent 10 months telling us Nissan will definitely close "

You made it up
    sorry was it twelve ?
    Come on Brookey, don't be ornery, admit it, it is thanks to George Osborne's magnificent stewardship of the economy that has made us so resilient to the Brexit shocks and why Nissan don't want to leave.

Not even Gordon Brown could screw up Osborne's golden legacy.
    You miss him dont you ?
    He'll be back, the question is when not if.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,760

Scott_P said:

horse shit

You made it up
    sorry was it twelve ?
    Come on Brookey, don't be ornery, admit it, it is thanks to George Osborne's magnificent stewardship of the economy that has made us so resilient to the Brexit shocks and why Nissan don't want to leave.

You miss him dont you ?
    Like Voldemort
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    weejonnie said:

619 said:

PlatoSaid said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

@BBCPhilipSim: David Mundell being pressed on free movement post-Brexit; he says there is "no intention to stop people coming, completely, from the EU"

Gove on Sky says there should be principle that all UK immigrants are subject to the same rules regardless of the country they are from.
    I do wonder if its yet dawned on Team Hillary that since her 'deplorables' speech - she's totally destroyed the main shame attack lines. She nuked a whole bunch of -isms in a few minutes, whilst thinking how clever she was.

And the Right are now using the Left's tactics at rallies - something we're entirely unused to. Up to now, the Right were mostly turn-the-other-cheek sorts who didn't play that game. Now the gloves are off and Bill Is A Rapist hecklers turn up to DNC events.

I don't like it from either side - but it must be a shock for Lefties to get a taste of their own medicine for once.
    I dunno, Trump being a racist tax cheat who boasts about grabbing women by the pussy without their permission is definitely a message which broke through.
    Well a racist tax cheat who boasts about grabbing women might have policies that would help the 300 million Americans much better than a sick, demented, woman who spent her time at the Whitehouse in clamping down on Bill Clinton's sexual conquests and doesn't know of the meaning of the word classified.
    Well, he didn't come across in any of the debates as having well thought out policies like that.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

619 said:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/obama-campaign-trail-230365

Obama will be hitting the campaign Trail hard. Good for Clinton.

Obamacare's unravelling. He should stick to his favourite golf courses.
    I was playing virtual golf yesterday evening with my Italian buddy who lives in the remote Appenines. He said there was earthquake....I replied I thought he was being a sore loser by making silly excuses.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    GeoffM said:

Anorak said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

Don't be silly. I disagree with that, and I'm pretty sure I'm not a racist.

I think reciprocal free-movement arrangements with countries that share our values and are economically similar are a wonderful idea. If not for me so much, then certainly for the sake of my children.
    I am never keen on widespread use of the phrase "our values". That's usually code for your values that you think I should share.
    To paraphrase Reagan 'Your opinion is only allowed if it's mine'
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited October 2016
    Looks like they've managed to bribe persuade the walloons.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37788882
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,865

Scott_P said:

horse shit

You made it up
    sorry was it twelve ?

You miss him dont you ?
    Resists urge to make reference to [certain] illnesses you just can't quite get rid of.. ;)
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited October 2016
    Mr Borough,

"Presumably Mr 13 didn't speak to any EU migrants whilst in Boston."

Well I meet a few if I'm there on Sundays. We now have five Catholic masses instead of the usual one. Three in Polish, one in Lithuanian and one in English - although last time we had a Polish baptism at the English mass.

They're white, catholic and like a drink - my ideal people (even if the drink driving stats have shot up).

And hard working. I still remember one Easter about 50 years ago hoeing cabbages on a field that stretched nearly to Norway with a wind straight from Siberia freezing my wotsits off (I was picked up by a gang van in the school holidays). Where were they then?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

GeoffM said:

Anorak said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

I think reciprocal free-movement arrangements with countries that share our values and are economically similar are a wonderful idea. If not for me so much, then certainly for the sake of my children.
    I am never keen on widespread use of the phrase "our values". That's usually code for your values that you think I should share.
    I went into more detail in the next post. What do find there that's objectionable?
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Anorak said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

Aye...

“We should only admit into this country those that share our values and respect our people. We will be tough, and we will be even extreme”
  • Options
    Wallies fold: Post-BrExit reality dawns upon Europe. ;)
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    619 said:

weejonnie said:

619 said:

PlatoSaid said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

Well a racist tax cheat who boasts about grabbing women might have policies that would help the 300 million Americans much better than a sick, demented, woman who spent her time at the Whitehouse in clamping down on Bill Clinton's sexual conquests and doesn't know of the meaning of the word classified.
    Well, he didn't come across in any of the debates as having well thought out policies like that.
    He has certainly mentioned them enough elsewhere - and the debates tended to degenerate into attacking trump as a racist tax cheat who boasts about grabbing women.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

PlatoSaid said:

GeoffM said:

Anorak said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

I went into more detail in the next post. What do find there that's objectionable?
    I don't have a time machine to know what you said next before I read and posted a reply to another. :wink:
  • Options
    Today we learn:

GDP beats expectations at .5%

Nissan confirm the future of their Sunderland plant and upgrade it to a Global factory

Sweden states that a compromise must be reached with the UK, their fifth largest market, as export sales to UK collapse due to the exchange rate.

Brussels carpet manufacturers express grave concern over their UK export market as they too suffer collapsing UK sales.

Thousand cross the Irish border to purchase goods as they are so much cheaper

ING invests 400 new jobs in London

German car industry instructs it's government to ensure tariff free trading to UK for their 850,000 car sales to UK.

So to sum up and to quote the Prime Minister, Brexit means Brexit and we are going to make a success of it
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Voted remain and I don't think we're out of the woods yet by any means but the news about Nissan is great. I buy a new one every 2/3 years and it comes all the way from my town of birth in Sunderland to my home and life here in Almeria, Spain. Long may it continue.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,044
    Anorak said:

As I told everyone two days ago on here...
  • Options

Scott_P said:

horse shit

You made it up
    sorry was it twelve ?

You miss him dont you ?
    Like Voldemort
    He's more Severus Snape, the true hero of the story.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Anorak said:

canucks should hold out for more :-)

the EU now needs to do deals
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: Greg Clark visited Japan to give assurances - deal done on presumption tariffs highly unlikely, either way Nissan won't be worse off

Yup, no problem there, at all.

Perhaps the Germans simply aren't mad ?

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/10/eu-mad-start-trade-war-britain-heres/

"Germany, not surprisingly, would be the biggest net loser: its exporters would pay £3.4 billion in tariffs, compared with the £0.9 billion worth of tariffs paid by UK exporters selling to Germany. France, too, would be a big loser, not least due to the higher tariffs allowed for agricultural goods under MFN rules. French exporters to the UK would pay £1.4 billion in tariffs, compared with £700 million paid by UK exporters to France.

Of 27 EU countries, only five – Croatia, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland and Malta – would find themselves as net ‘winners’ – I put that in inverted commas because in a trade war there are not really winners – we all lose.

As for industries, the European car industry would be hardest-hit. EU exporters would pay £3.9 billion in tariffs, compared with £1.3 billion paid by UK exporters. "
  • Options

Scott_P said:

horse shit

You made it up
    sorry was it twelve ?

You miss him dont you ?
    Like Voldemort
    Nah Draco Malfoy
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    rcs1000 said:

Anorak said:

The EU are risible negotiators.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    rcs1000 said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

So we are not going to have any preferential treatment for anyone? No working holiday visas for Australians and New Zealanders?
    Did Gove move on to talk about that topic later on?
    I was just commenting on the "immigrants" reference.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

GeoffM said:

Anorak said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

Aye...

“We should only admit into this country those that share our values and respect our people. We will be tough, and we will be even extreme”
    Donald Trump

But equally

Born in other countries, yet believing you could be happy in this, our laws acknowledge, as they should do, your right to join us in society, conforming, as I doubt not you will do, to our established rules. That these rules shall be as equal as prudential considerations will admit, will certainly be the aim of our legislatures, general and particular. Thomas Jefferson. My emph.

and

The policy or advantage of [immigration] taking place in a body (I mean the settling of them in a body) may be much questioned; for, by so doing, they retain the language, habits, and principles (good or bad) which they bring with them. Whereas by an intermixture with our people, they, or their descendants, get assimilated to our customs, measures, and laws: in a word, soon become one people. George Washington

This "you believe in heliocentricity, ISIS and Hitler believed in heliocentricity, therefore you also believe in genocide" line of argument crops up too often.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    JackW said:

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

PlatoSaid said:

I honestly don't take much notice of the polling - I just glance at the internals and mostly laugh at the skewed samples - like Brexit, they're making the news not reflecting it.

You might not "take much notice of the polling" but the Trump campaign sure does, with Pence off to Utah and Omaha and Donald pulling resources from Virginia, Wisconsin, Michigan and Colorado.
    And there is a yawning gap between nitpicking every poll and watching where you've a problem.

Did you watch the Pence video I posted on FPT - I thought Pence was very good. He's much more suited to that demographic - Trump is too brash even without sex story baggage.

I love Utah and SLC.
    I agree. Pence would have been a considerable challenge for Clinton. Unfortunately he has found himself defending Trump in the most difficult of circumstances.

Pence has placed himself in a solid position for 2020.
    For which party tho? If the results are bad enough the GOP might split and a new party could emerge, the demographics aren't getting any better for them either.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,035
    edited October 2016
    Coming late to this; ........I've been severely messed about as a result of an emergency hopsital admission last week ........ surely there are going to be a lot of indicators which are going to take time to either improve or deteriorate.
    Generally speaking, IMHO, FWIW "the economy" is like a big ship; takes a while to turn it round, although smaller course alterations are relatively easy. And in a situation like this there are going to be indicators pointing North East and North West all the time. It'll be a while before, in a not very good example, they stop moving between good or bad and start moving between good or very good or bad and very bad.
    As a Remainer I hope, for all our sakes that they stay around good, but fear they'll soon start turning to bad.
    Talking to my exporter son, he's quite happy, since his stuff is British made, and largely British sourced, but priced in dollars, but he wants his salary and commission .... the latter being very important..... paid in that currency not, UK £'s.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

619 said:

weejonnie said:

619 said:

PlatoSaid said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

He has certainly mentioned them enough elsewhere - and the debates tended to degenerate into attacking trump as a racist tax cheat who boasts about grabbing women.
    Yeah, he did a lot to dispel the notion of being a misogynist.
    So, what is he going to replace Obamacare with exactly?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    As part of Trump's black outreach platform top Donald surrogate Sean Hannity offers to fly Obama and his family to Kenya ....

One condition .... the tickets are one-way ....

From 2:10 minutes in .... :smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8w05b2PwDM
  • Options
    felix said:

Voted remain and I don't think we're out of the woods yet by any means but the news about Nissan is great. I buy a new one every 2/3 years and it comes all the way from my town of birth in Sunderland to my home and life here in Almeria, Spain. Long may it continue.

You'll get a bargain price thanks to Brexit if you hurry. Encourage your expat pals to buy makem. Nice to see you coming round.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Shouldnt Mcdonnell be welcoming this news?!

Mcdonnell on Nissan deal: "this is chaotic, there is no coherence, we dont know the terms"
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    weejonnie said:

There was loads of policy from Trump in his Gettysburg speech - it's just all being ignored because it's so much easier to call him names. I find this bizarre on PB. We're an immensely sophisticated audience that barely seems to deviate from poll worship and tribalism.

For anyone who'd like to actually know what stuff his ground troops are talking about to their friends and neighbours

It's fair to say that the National Review has had a very dim view of Trump from the get-go. This is their take now.

"Enacting Trump’s ‘Contract with the American Voter’ would revive a nation in decline. If Donald J. Trump becomes president, he barely will have time to attend his own inaugural parade. The Republican nominee promised voters in Gettysburg, Pa., Saturday that he would stay spectacularly busy on his first day in office.

As part of his Contract with the American Voter, Trump pledged to take 18 major steps on January 20, 2017. Most of these give center-right voters excellent reasons to support Trump at the polls. Trump’s first six steps aim to “clean up the corruption and special-interest collusion in Washington, D.C.”

- A constitutional amendment to place term limits on all members of Congress
    - A hiring freeze on all federal employees, save for the military and to satisfy public and health needs
    - A requirement that each new federal regulation erase two old ones
    - A five-year-ban on White House and congressional officials lobbying after leaving government service
    - A lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying for foreign governments
    - A total ban on foreign lobbyists raising cash for U.S. elections
    - Also next January 20, Trump promises five steps “to restore security and the constitutional rule of law.”
    - “Cancel every unconstitutional executive action, memorandum, and order issued by President Obama.”
    - Start picking a replacement for Justice Scalia from one of the 20 judges on Trump’s list of potential Supreme Court nominees, “who will uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States.”
    - “Cancel all federal funding to Sanctuary Cities.”
    - Start removing the 2 million+ criminal illegal aliens who walk America’s streets
    - Suspend immigration from terror-prone regions where the U.S. cannot conduct extreme vetting — Trump’s proposed standard for all foreign entrants

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/441458/donald-trump-contract-american-voter-gettysburg-address
  • Options
    Media Guido @MediaGuido
    Tough day for Faisal

aka Pasty Scott
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Dromedary said:

@PlatoSaid - that quote attributed to Tim Kaine is FAKE.

I knew the ~KGB had a big share in Wikileaks, but now you've got me wondering how big the Jesuits' share is!

That isn't what I was referring to.

It was this http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2016/10/14/catholic-bishops-and-campaigners-condemn-ugly-and-anti-catholic-emails-between-clinton-team/
    Okay (although it was in the quote chain).

Sandy Newman's statement

"There needs to be a Catholic Spring, in which Catholics themselves demand the end of a middle-ages dictatorship and the beginning of a little democracy and respect for gender equality in the Catholic church"

will be music to the Jesuits' ears, as I think Archbishop Chaput knows. Damian Thompson at the Spectator is angry.

I'll have to read some more about Catholics in Alliance for the Common Good and Catholics United, called "Podesta's creations". But I suspect that rather than the Democrats "infiltrating" the Catholic church, what has happened is that the Jesuits have infiltrated the Democratic party.

I hope Clinton gets her food thoroughly checked.
  • Options
    JackW said:

As part of Trump's black outreach platform top Donald surrogate Sean Hannity offers to fly Obama and his family to Kenya ....

Jacobite-Clown (Harpenden-branch) gets grumpy when most paddies don't give a feck about battles between the Stuarts and their cousins from the Lowlands (Europe, not the 'Badlands'). You lost at Drogheda and you are lost in the C21st.

:shuffle-off:
  • Options
    619 said:

weejonnie said:

619 said:

weejonnie said:

619 said:

PlatoSaid said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

snip

Not his problem as yet - although with 20% premium hikes, increased deductables and companies withdrawing from it as fast as they can, it is clear that the Obamacare policy has been an unmitigated disaster. (As was inevitable if you know anything about insurance principles.)

I am pleased, however, that you admit that Obamacare (probably Obama's most significant contribution to the USA in 8 years, other than the record for the President who has played the most golf) is one of the many crap Democrat policies, basically buying votes of the poor with unsustainable promises.

The trouble with Democrats is that they eventually run out of other people's money.

What is the USA debt/ deficit at the moment?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

weejonnie said:

There was loads of policy from Trump in his Gettysburg speech - it's just all being ignored because it's so much easier to call him names. I find this bizarre on PB. We're an immensely sophisticated audience that barely seems to deviate from poll worship and tribalism.

For anyone who'd like to actually know what stuff his ground troops are talking about to their friends and neighbours

It's fair to say that the National Review has had a very dim view of Trump from the get-go. This is their take now.

"Enacting Trump’s ‘Contract with the American Voter’ would revive a nation in decline. If Donald J. Trump becomes president, he barely will have time to attend his own inaugural parade. The Republican nominee promised voters in Gettysburg, Pa., Saturday that he would stay spectacularly busy on his first day in office.

As part of his Contract with the American Voter, Trump pledged to take 18 major steps on January 20, 2017. Most of these give center-right voters excellent reasons to support Trump at the polls. Trump’s first six steps aim to “clean up the corruption and special-interest collusion in Washington, D.C.”

- A hiring freeze on all federal employees, save for the military and to satisfy public and health needs
    - A five-year-ban on White House and congressional officials lobbying after leaving government service
    - Also next January 20, Trump promises five steps “to restore security and the constitutional rule of law.”
    - “Cancel every unconstitutional executive action, memorandum, and order issued by President Obama.”
    - Start picking a replacement for Justice Scalia from one of the 20 judges on Trump’s list of potential Supreme Court nominees, “who will uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States.”
    - Start removing the 2 million+ criminal illegal aliens who walk America’s streets
    - Suspend immigration from terror-prone regions where the U.S. cannot conduct extreme vetting — Trump’s proposed standard for all foreign entrants

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/441458/donald-trump-contract-american-voter-gettysburg-address
    Oh, so nothing on obamacare then?
  • Options
    JackW said:

His other mate, Alex Jones, talked about a Jewish mafia as well.

Certianly pushing for the racist vote!
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

rcs1000 said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

So we are not going to have any preferential treatment for anyone? No working holiday visas for Australians and New Zealanders?
    Except for countries with truly open borders, like the UK or the US in the nineteenth century, every government discriminates - for or against - potential immigrants based on country of origin. They are all "racist" (or "country-ist", if you prefer), because it is a useful heuristic when judging whether someone should be allowed into the country.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited October 2016
    Andrew Neil on BBC DP "Is Project Fear now in ruins?"
  • Options
    Today's update of the ECV probability distributions from the 538 (polls-only), Huffington Post and NYT models:

Clinton Bands 538 Huff NYT ======================================== Under 250 9.50% 0.73% 4.34% 250-259 2.42% 0.68% 1.78% 260-269 2.69% 1.04% 2.29% 270-279 4.16% 2.91% 3.98% 280-289 3.50% 2.21% 3.35% 290-299 3.91% 3.74% 4.83% 300-309 4.49% 6.90% 6.22% 310-319 5.18% 7.23% 6.25% 320-329 5.94% 12.23% 10.42% 330-339 5.81% 9.12% 7.04% 340-349 7.24% 20.17% 11.27% 350-359 8.19% 16.50% 9.41% 360-369 7.28% 5.54% 6.72% 370-379 5.73% 4.15% 5.51% 380-389 4.24% 2.43% 4.03% 390-399 3.45% 1.85% 2.83% 400 or over 16.29% 2.57% 9.73% ======================================== Prob Clinton win 85.45% 97.55% 91.58% Implied fair value for spreads markets: Clinton ECVs 337.8 336.6 336.5 Clinton 270-up 73.6 67.0 69.0 Clinton 300-up 49.8 39.0 43.2 Clinton 330-up 29.9 15.9 22.5 Trump 270-up 5.9 0.4 2.3 Trump 300-up 2.7 0.1 0.8 Trump 330-up 1.1 0.0 0.2
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    PlatoSaid said:

weejonnie said:

Nothing on what to replace Obamacare?
  • Options
    So Nissan have acted ruthlessly in their own self interest and demanded a Corporate Welfare Cheque to stay in Sunderland. Something they would have done without a Corporate Welfare Cheque if we were staying in the Single Market. As ever the sites most right wing posters will cheer the economics of Jeremy Corbyn if it involves scoring a point against the EU.

Well this economic liberal isn't cheering the market becoming less free, isn't cheering for facto state subsidy of winners the state picked, isn't cheering the opportunity costs of the state subsidy and can't the preference of big and Iconic producers being able to black mail us in a way smaller manufacturers won't be able to.

At least part of Margaret Thatcher will be turning in her grave. And now we've given our lunch money to Nissan who is next ?
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

619 said:

weejonnie said:

619 said:

weejonnie said:

619 said:

PlatoSaid said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

snip

Not his problem as yet - although with 20% premium hikes, increased deductables and companies withdrawing from it as fast as they can, it is clear that the Obamacare policy has been an unmitigated disaster. (As was inevitable if you know anything about insurance principles.)

The trouble with Democrats is that they eventually run out of other people's money.

Better than it was when he took over.

I think obamacare is the best of a bad situation. Needs a better public option.

So, youre ok with Trump having no thought out healthcare policy then?
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

GeoffM said:

Anorak said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

Aye...

Donald Trump

But equally

Born in other countries, yet believing you could be happy in this, our laws acknowledge, as they should do, your right to join us in society, conforming, as I doubt not you will do, to our established rules. That these rules shall be as equal as prudential considerations will admit, will certainly be the aim of our legislatures, general and particular. Thomas Jefferson. My emph.

and

The policy or advantage of [immigration] taking place in a body (I mean the settling of them in a body) may be much questioned; for, by so doing, they retain the language, habits, and principles (good or bad) which they bring with them. Whereas by an intermixture with our people, they, or their descendants, get assimilated to our customs, measures, and laws: in a word, soon become one people. George Washington

This "you believe in heliocentricity, ISIS and Hitler believed in heliocentricity, therefore you also believe in genocide" line of argument crops up too often.
    Sure, however I was in my lumbering way suggesting that many 'libertarian' apostles of free speech seem curiously selective about exactly what kind of speech & thought & belief & behaviour should be free.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2016
    619 said:

His other mate, Alex Jones, talked about a Jewish mafia as well.

Would Meyer Lansky, Bugsy Siegel, Arnold Rothstein, Samuel Bronfman or Semion Mogilevich be offended?

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Oooh I see @AngrySalmond has gone off-message on the independence of the BBC. Sticks one in @WingsOverScotland too, by retweeting:

"Wings is the Infowars of the Scottish independence crowd. An embarrassing, cringe-worthy liability and lunatic magnet."

NatFight!!! (or Stooshie or whatever it is)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785

Scott_P said:

horse shit

You made it up
    sorry was it twelve ?

You miss him dont you ?
    Like Voldemort
    Nah Draco Malfoy
    More like Dobbie.....
  • Options

So Nissan have acted ruthlessly in their own self interest and demanded a Corporate Welfare Cheque to stay in Sunderland. Something they would have done without a Corporate Welfare Cheque if we were staying in the Single Market. As ever the sites most right wing posters will cheer the economics of Jeremy Corbyn if it involves scoring a point against the EU.

Well this economic liberal isn't cheering the market becoming less free, isn't cheering for facto state subsidy of winners the state picked, isn't cheering the opportunity costs of the state subsidy and can't the preference of big and Iconic producers being able to black mail us in a way smaller manufacturers won't be able to.

At least part of Margaret Thatcher will be turning in her grave. And now we've given our lunch money to Nissan who is next ?

Margaret Thatcher subsidised Nissan to come here back in 1984
  • Options
    Patience Wheatcroft, Baroness Wheatcroft seems much older than 65 when quizzed by Andrew Neil (BBC DP). She concedes that the Treasury exagerated the forecast effects.
  • Options

Shouldnt Mcdonnell be welcoming this news?!

Mcdonnell on Nissan deal: "this is chaotic, there is no coherence, we dont know the terms"

No. Because we don't know the price and what ever the price is we can't pay it for every manufacturer. Which begs the questions who chooses, why do they choose and how ?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    nunu said:

PlatoSaid said:

weejonnie said:

Did you read the whole thing? I honestly think it's pointless engaging with you on this topic - you've decided and that's fair enough. It also renders discussion moot as you aren't discussing anything. Hillary can call blacks *super predators* and her campaign refer to *needy Latinos* or talk about how Muslims. Roma and Blacks are professional failures - but that's okay apparently.

EDIT oh and call Blacks n*ggers whilst she was a WH resident.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,962
    Off topic:

The cubs have won their first world series game in 71 years

" Chicago's famous Wrigley Field stadium has not hosted a World Series game since 1945, when legend has it that a curse was placed on the Cubs after a local tavern owner was asked to leave a game because the smell of his pet goat was upsetting other fans. "
  • Options

You do not know the details of the deal but this is a daggar to the heart of the remoaners and will be followed by many more. Both politically and economically this is a big boost for Brexit - we are leaving and you need to move on
  • Options
    I think McDonnell thinks this would be a bad thing:

Shadow chancellor John McDonnell says ministers want to turn the UK into the "Singapore of the North Atlantic"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37782041
  • Options
    The Independent: EU students applying to British universities plummet by 9 per cent following Brexit vote. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIws9uwljA
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,866
    edited October 2016

When do we find out how big the bung was?

I'm an economic liberal, but I'm not overly fussed about this (depending on how high the price was).

North of the Severn-Wash line, we need as much investment as we can get. I'd prefer we help the likes of Nissan than, say, cut overall corporation tax rates which largely improve London's relative attractive globally than Sunderland's attractiveness relative to London.

Maybe if there had been no Brexit, we wouldn't have needed to bung Nissan. But maybe too we would have continued to ignore our appalling education and productivity performance outside the SE.

I'm trying to be positive today. The Q3 figures are great and I think we can now shrug off any suggestions of a "shock" save some of the effects of the drop in sterling.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Shadow chancellor John McDonnell says ministers want to turn the UK into the "Singapore of the North Atlantic"

Would need a fair bit more immigration to get the UK up to Singapore population density levels.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

PlatoSaid said:

weejonnie said:

Did you read the whole thing? I honestly think it's pointless engaging with you on this topic - you've decided and that's fair enough. It also renders discussion moot as you aren't discussing anything. Hillary can call blacks *super predators* and her campaign refer to *needy Latinos* or talk about how Muslims. Roma and Blacks are professional failures - but that's okay apparently.

The last one has no evidence of it.

You talk about stuff which the campaign said years ago and ignore the stuff Trump says himself in public which turn people off.
  • Options

The Independent: EU students applying to British universities plummet by 9 per cent following Brexit vote. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIws9uwljA

Good. Far too many of them leave unpaid debts.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Oooh I see @AngrySalmond has gone off-message on the independence of the BBC. Sticks one in @WingsOverScotland too, by retweeting:

"Wings is the Infowars of the Scottish independence crowd. An embarrassing, cringe-worthy liability and lunatic magnet."

NatFight!!! (or Stooshie or whatever it is)

Surely Wingnuts over Somerset has been long discredited. No need for our intelligence services to still fund the mad monk.
  • Options

You do not know the details of the deal but this is a daggar to the heart of the remoaners and will be followed by many more. Both politically and economically this is a big boost for Brexit - we are leaving and you need to move on
    That's a pathetic analysis from anyone. From someone claiming to be a Conservative it's cult like.
  • Options
    619 said:

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

PlatoSaid said:

weejonnie said:

..snip..

You talk about stuff which the campaign said years ago and ignore the stuff Trump says himself in public which turn people off.
    And yet the Democrats call up things Trump said in 1992 - do I detect a bit/ lot of Hypocrisy here? (The last one has the stated evidence of a person who was there at the time. Since you accept uncorroborated sexual inuendos against Trump, you have to accept the statement against Clinton).
  • Options

As regrettable as this is, buried in the news is that overall figures were up 1pc, based on good growth from ROW.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Would need a fair bit more immigration to get the UK up to Singapore population density levels.
    And growth in the UK to match Singapore's GDP/capita (±25% higher...)
  • Options
    Huckabee goes for it

Tony Stark
    Trump is on the rise, HRC is livid, and Mike Huckabee sums it all up, "She treats foreign governments like they're a piggy bank..."
    #Trump16 https://t.co/6tmBO6c20v
  • Options
    619 said:

weejonnie said:

619 said:

weejonnie said:

619 said:

weejonnie said:

619 said:

PlatoSaid said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

snip

snip

I do not know whether he has one or not - but he shouldn't be in the position of having to correct Obama's mistakes.
  • Options

As regrettable as this is, buried in the news is that overall figures were up 1pc, based on good growth from ROW.
    I sense many Leave voters may not see a large increase in non EU foreign students as unalloyed good news.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Another poor data dump from Florida for the Dems. Rep postal gap now widening a bit but even more remarkably Dems posting really poor in-person votes; in the last two days they've only had very slim leads.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

That's a pathetic analysis from anyone. From someone claiming to be a Conservative it's cult like.
    It takes 5 years to design and introduce a car model. It takes about 6-12 months to work through HMG subsidy regime.

I seriously doubt this decison was all taken post 23 June. More likely it has been in the negotiation pipeline for some time, maybe even in the carefree days when the LDs were in govt.
  • Options

You are struggling to accept we are leaving. We have a PM who will make a success of it. As a member of the conservative party I believe it is high time conservative remainers got in behind the government
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

619 said:

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

PlatoSaid said:

weejonnie said:

..snip..

And yet the Democrats call up things Trump said in 1992 - do I detect a bit/ lot of Hypocrisy here? (The last one has the stated evidence of a person who was there at the time. Since you accept uncorroborated sexual inuendos against Trump, you have to accept the statement against Clinton).
    there is corroborataion of Trump being a sexual assaulter: from himself admitting he does it.

Hey, if you genuinely think Clinton is as much of a racist as trump, that's up to you, but no one else is buying, certainly not the voters.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

GeoffM said:

rcs1000 said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

Except for countries with truly open borders, like the UK or the US in the nineteenth century, every government discriminates - for or against - potential immigrants based on country of origin. They are all "racist" (or "country-ist", if you prefer), because it is a useful heuristic when judging whether someone should be allowed into the country.
    There will be open borders in the future....it'll seem unthinkable that people were restricted where they live because of their nationality. A bit like stopping a Yorkshireman living in Lancashire...as much as I'd like that (joking).
    Brexit and Trump will appear just blips on the pathway.

Sorry for being a tad antagonistic last night. The EU migrants coming here to take our benefits is a line that hits a nerve when there is just so much economic evidence to suggest the contrary.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

619 said:

weejonnie said:

619 said:

weejonnie said:

619 said:

weejonnie said:

619 said:

PlatoSaid said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

snip

snip

snip

I do not know whether he has one or not - but he shouldn't be in the position of having to correct Obama's mistakes.
    One thing Trump can't be held accountable for is any political decision evah. He's constantly said that he's taken advantage of the laws - and he didn't make them.
  • Options
    619 said:

weejonnie said:

619 said:

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

PlatoSaid said:

weejonnie said:

..snip..

there is corroborataion of Trump being a sexual assaulter: from himself admitting he does it.

Hey, if you genuinely think Clinton is as much of a racist as trump, that's up to you, but no one else is buying, certainly not the voters.
    Oh, and 11 women have said Trump assaulted them. How many have accused Clinton of using the N word?
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

619 said:

weejonnie said:

619 said:

weejonnie said:

619 said:

weejonnie said:

619 said:

PlatoSaid said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

snip

snip

Ah, so that is a no.

Obama had to correct loads of Bush's mistakes. And your reading of Obama very much does not jibe with his likeability scores at the moment.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,962

Another poor data dump from Florida for the Dems. Rep postal gap now widening a bit but even more remarkably Dems posting really poor in-person votes; in the last two days they've only had very slim leads.

I thought the early returns looked very positive for the DEMs from FL ?

Certainly what I've read on every other analysis/report piece...
  • Options
    Morning Joe is a great show

https://youtu.be/CTNbY978YQU
  • Options

And built a single market so that was pump priming. If we've promised to indemnify Nissan against the worst case scenario they ministers have issued a secret contingent liability. It may cost us nothng or it may cost us a fortune or something inbetween. But either way it's a contingent liability to get Nissan to do something they were going to do for free. It's not a sign of strength it's a sign of huge weakness. It's a shift of productive resources to a kind of Red 'Kipper/Blue Labourish economic Nationalism. It will end in tears. It always does.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Lovely to see all this great news. Speaks volumes that the Remoaners are upset seeing the UK prosper.
  • Options
    Looks as thought the 'Armed-Wing of the Heroic-Socialist Labour-Party'* are due another "reorganisation". Maybe, for a change, not one driven by a 'Common-Purpose'.**

* Metropolitan-Police.
    ** Sources withheld.
  • Options

And built a single market so that was pump priming. If we've promised to indemnify Nissan against the worst case scenario they ministers have issued a secret contingent liability. It may cost us nothng or it may cost us a fortune or something inbetween. But either way it's a contingent liability to get Nissan to do something they were going to do for free. It's not a sign of strength it's a sign of huge weakness. It's a shift of productive resources to a kind of Red 'Kipper/Blue Labourish economic Nationalism. It will end in tears. It always does.
    The biggest contingent liability we have is on our banks and yet you seem quite ok with that.

• Options

I sense many Leave voters may not see a large increase in non EU foreign students as unalloyed good news.
    I sense projection from EUvanilla. Is Nicola sharing any of her houses with refugees as promised yet ? Or is she just a fraud ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It's all relative. The Republicans were *more* ahead in 2012 than they are now.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009

When do we find out how big the bung was?

I'm an economic liberal, but I'm not overly fussed about this (depending on how high the price was).

North of the Severn-Wash line, we need as much investment as we can get. I'd prefer we help the likes of Nissan than, say, cut overall corporation tax rates which largely improve London's relative attractive globally than Sunderland's attractiveness relative to London.

Maybe if there had been no Brexit, we wouldn't have needed to bung Nissan. But maybe too we would have continued to ignore our appalling education and productivity performance outside the SE.

I'm trying to be positive today. The Q3 figures are great and I think we can now shrug off any suggestions of a "shock" save some of the effects of the drop in sterling.
    The bung if it exists would have been there regardless. Nissan is staying in Sunderland and the French Government are going to be mightly annoyed as they were hoping to keep a Renault factory or 2 open...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

It's all relative. The Republicans were *more* ahead in 2012 than they are now.
    also, in 2012, the first two days of early polling was on weekends. This year, started on a weekday. Dems vote more during the weekend, so i expect a big increase apparent on Mon
  • Options
    tyson said:

There will be open borders in the future....it'll seem unthinkable that people were restricted where they live because of their nationality. A bit like stopping a Yorkshireman living in Lancashire...as much as I'd like that (joking).

Sorry for being a tad antagonistic last night. The EU migrants coming here to take our benefits is a line that hits a nerve when there is just so much economic evidence to suggest the contrary.

After last-night I think you need to look-in-the-mirror:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfmZcD9IRgQ
  • Options

You are struggling to accept we are leaving. We have a PM who will make a success of it. As a member of the conservative party I believe it is high time conservative remainers got in behind the government
    I was critiquing the economics of the Nissan stunt. Offer a counter critique or I won't engage with. Your mixture of " Argument from ( self appointed ) authority " and mild Ad Hominem isn't worth engaging with on it's own.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Pulpstar said:

The bit the Dems were crowing about was they had greatly closed the postal gap. In 2012 it was 113000 votes by the end of early voting but this year it stood at under a third that ~30000 by the start on in-person voting. This is good for the Dems, but only because traditionally they are VERY strong in in-person (which is why republicans try to reduce it). In both 2008 and 2012 Obama posted weekday in-person leads of around 40000 votes each day.
  • Options
    tyson said:

rcs1000 said:

GeoffM said:

rcs1000 said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

Nevertheless, it is unhealthy to have a situation where even a few people move here to be "professionally homeless", to beg on the streets, and collect benefits.

It's funny. Everyone concentrates on borders, but borders are irrelevant to controlling illegal immigration. Switzerland voted in a referendum to join Schengen, so they have *no* control or record of people coming or going. Yet they have no pressure on low-end wages, and no problem with illegal immigration. Why?

Because (a) benefits are contributory, and (b) there is no 'informal' or illegal working in Switzerland. Solve those problems - and they are solved problems, as the Swiss have demonstrated - and you remove most of the negative effects of low-wage immigration.
  • Options
    Good to see Britain reverting to the industrial policy of the 70's. Looks like we are going to be made to pay big time for Brexit. That bung to Nissan must have been friggin huge; they had us over a barrel because if they would have pulled out....at this time......god strewth.

And the passport rights for the City....how much can the EU squeeze out of us for that sector?

Good old Brexit....Britain is being held to ransom by all and sundry.....
  • Options
    Where PB.com leads the market invariably follows.

Oh wait ...... Hillary's ECV spread with Sporting is down a couple of points this morning!
  • Options
    I would point out to one and all, that I forecast that this period would be an awesome one for extracting pork out of the government.

Alanbrooke: now is the time to contact your RDA and tell them you're considering shuttering your factory and moving to Slovakia.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

Which would be pretty stupid of them.
    Overseas students effectively subsidise higher education for UK students, contribute significantly to the balance of payments, add to the intellectual talent pool, and spread British culture abroad.

Against that, there's the headline immigration figures, and....
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @Anorak

"... such as respect for the views and beliefs of others, gender equality, free speech, democracy, free press, a lack of corruption, etc."

That would rule out immigration from pretty much the whole of the Muslim World, the Indian subcontinent and great chunks of Eastern Europe., to say nothing of most of Africa. Actually your proposal would only allow free immigration to the Anglosphere and Western Europe. Maybe that is what you intend, but if I so I wouldn't count on someone not screaming "racist" at you.
  • Options
    tyson said:

You are right to call it out, it's utter garbage.

We are not being beseiged by an army of Roma homeless, whatever SeanT says.

The vast, vast majority of EU migrants are here to work. On average, they have higher education levels, higher employment rates, and lower dependence on government services (with the possible exception of maternity) than the average Brit.

We profit massively from their being here.

We can also compare and contrast with low immigration countries like Japan who are now in demographically dictated long term decline.

I have sympathy with the argument that we need democratic control over migration. And governments of both stripes have failed to truly appreciate the scale of migration since 1997 and what it represents in terms of societal change. Too much change is dizzying.

But lets not hear about migrants stealing our jobs and milking our welfare systems. It ain't true.

And I'd like to see evidence of the @rcs1000 argument that our over-generous in-work benefit systems act as a significant magnet. My own theory is that London's clear dynamism, the strength of the pound, the opportunity to live in an English speaking country, existing ethnic communities, and a perception that we are much more tolerant of foreigners in general - the "British Dream" if you like - are more important factors.

Reforming our welfare toward a contributions system would I suspect create a lot of upheaval and have very little impact.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Good to see Britain reverting to the industrial policy of the 70's. Looks like we are going to be made to pay big time for Brexit. That bung to Nissan must have been friggin huge; they had us over a barrel because if they would have pulled out....at this time......god strewth.

And the passport rights for the City....how much can the EU squeeze out of us for that sector?

Good old Brexit....Britain is being held to ransom by all and sundry.....

Nevertheless Tyson is returning to England after Italian ingenuity couldn't find useful employment for him.
  • Options
    Ignore the source if you can, but Obamacare seems a big factor in everything I'm seeing re Trump

The numbers are awful and scary

https://youtu.be/_PYFOOjcngw
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,865
    MP_SE said:

Lovely to see all this great news. Speaks volumes that the Remoaners are upset seeing the UK prosper.

It's been an "entertaining" morning to say the least...
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    GIN1138 said:

MP_SE said:

It's been an "entertaining" morning to say the least...
    I'm just getting out of my bath. Cleopatra got asses milk - I enjoyed Remoaner tears.
This discussion has been closed.