Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why you shouldn’t rely on the BREXIT experience as a pointer t

12346»

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

glw said:

So if a bunch of Belgian communists, and greens can veto a free trade deal between Canada and the EU, then you do have to wonder what sort of deals and with whom would be acceptable? I suspect the answer is essentially no deals with anybody.

But we're going to get a BRILLIANT deal.

Oh, wait...
    By QMV you fool.
    How do you know that? The Canada deal seemed to require unanimity. In our case, since migration is an issue, it is extremely far from obvious that we can structure a deal so that it sneaks in under QMV. As I've said before, I certainly hope that the UK negotiators are aware of the need to try to do so, but there's no guarantee either that they are aware, or that it can be done.
    "A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union. That agreement shall be negotiated in accordance with Article 218(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It shall be concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council, acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament."

From the text of the Lisbon treaty.
    Sure, so the question is how much you can include under "the arrangements for its withdrawal". For example, if the suggested arrangement was, "Britain will continue to pay its budget contributions, and in return Queen Elizabeth II will reign over all of Europe", you can imagine that other countries that already have monarchs might feel this should be in a separate treaty that they'd have veto power over.
    It specifically mentions the future relations between the union and the leaving nation, so one imagines the trade relationship will be a part of the A50 negotiations which will be rammed through by QMV.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

Rasmussen actually had Obama ahead in its final 2008 poll

I think the clue is the final three words ....

Oh ... and whilst on the theme of a "clue" .... any clue yet of Trump's path to 270 ??
    Above average white working class turnout in Iowa, Pennsylvania and Ohio, Michigan and one of Minnesota and Wisconsin. Florida and Nevada are also not yet out of his reach
    PA, MI and WI has Clinton ahead by around 8 on average. So, try again?
  • Options

if the suggested arrangement was, "Britain will continue to pay its budget contributions, and in return Queen Elizabeth II will reign over all of Europe", you can imagine that other countries that already have monarchs might feel this should be in a separate treaty that they'd have veto power over.

Perhaps they should have thought more about the implications before they signed the European Constitution Lisbon Treaty.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html

Their record looks fine to me?
    "Final" poll is the clue.

There is a theory about that Rasmussen enjoy a little fun and games prior to trending to the result in their last offering.

That might be the case but I couldn't possibly comment ....
  • Options

glw said:

MaxPB said:
    So if a bunch of Belgian communists, and greens can veto a free trade deal between Canada and the EU, then you do have to wonder what sort of deals and with whom would be acceptable? I suspect the answer is essentially no deals with anybody.

Better off out makes more sense by the day.
    You're going to have similar problems doing trade deals with *anybody*. Free trade is currently unpopular, and there are people coming at it from both the right and the left. This is why Brexit was able to happen. But it also makes it hard or impossible for a non-destructive Brexit to happen.
    So, is the complaint that the EU erodes too much sovereignty or that too many veto-wielding entities make it sclerotic? Because to me, those points seem a bit contradictory.
    Not really - they denude nation states of power whilst concentrating it at the unaccountable centre. They know this process is a one-way ratchet and so can be very patient if things don't go 'the project's' way.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2016
    MaxPB said:

The specific text says "taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union". That means at least a Heads of Terms will have to be agreed under Article 50 via QMV, but probably the whole lot.

Frankly it's as clear as mud, but I think the best-informed opinion is that, if it is a 'mixed' agreement, it will require unanimity:

However, if the final agreement cuts across policy areas within the preserve of the member states, such as certain elements of services, transport and investment protection – as many recent EU FTAs have done (for example with Peru and with Columbia) – it will be classed as a ‘mixed agreement’ and require additional ratification by every national parliament in the EU.

http://openeurope.org.uk/today/blog/the-mechanics-of-leaving-the-eu-explaining-article-50/

Individual Member States ratify the fnal new agreement nationally if it is a mixed agreement

Page 11, https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/504216/The_process_for_withdrawing_from_the_EU_print_ready.pdf

Note also that this document makes the distinction between the exit agreement (page 10) and the replacement (page 11).

As I said, it's vital that we do our utmost to try to avoid it being a mixed agreement and sneak it all in under QMV, but is that possible? Who knows?

• Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

glw said:

But we're going to get a BRILLIANT deal.

Oh, wait...
    By QMV you fool.
    How do you know that? The Canada deal seemed to require unanimity. In our case, since migration is an issue, it is extremely far from obvious that we can structure a deal so that it sneaks in under QMV. As I've said before, I certainly hope that the UK negotiators are aware of the need to try to do so, but there's no guarantee either that they are aware, or that it can be done.
    "A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union. That agreement shall be negotiated in accordance with Article 218(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It shall be concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council, acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament."

From the text of the Lisbon treaty.
    Yes, but that is the exit agreement, terms for leaving (who pays salaries and pensions, how to divide up any assets, etc etc). It's not about the separate deal we'll need to on our post-Brexit relationship with the EU. These two often get conflated, and in practice they will be mixed up, but they are not the same thing:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/02/article-50-trade-eu-deals-globalisation
    My instinct is to say that the flexibility could be used to achieve at least some of the deal at both points.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

Oh ... and whilst on the theme of a "clue" .... any clue yet of Trump's path to 270 ??
    Above average white working class turnout in Iowa, Pennsylvania and Ohio, Michigan and one of Minnesota and Wisconsin. Florida and Nevada are also not yet out of his reach
    Wouldn't Iowa, Pennsylvania and Ohio be enough, even if he failed to take every state where Clinton's lead is currently smaller?
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html

Their record looks fine to me?
    "Final" poll is the clue.

There is a theory about that Rasmussen enjoy a little fun and games prior to trending to the result in their last offering.

That might be the case but I couldn't possibly comment ....
    I mean, looking down the list (reports & tracker)

Obama +6 (final)
    Obama +5
    Obama +7
    Obama +6
    Obama +5
    Obama +5
    Obama +6

Takes us back to the end of September.

I am quite clear that Rasmussen have since fallen off the wagon but in 2008 I think that's a pretty damn good position.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

Chortle .... :smiley:

I'll give you top marks for single minded wishful thinking for increased turnout by just WWC and also a commendation for unintended humour on PB on a dull Monday afternoon.

Keep up the good work.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

The specific text says "taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union". That means at least a Heads of Terms will have to be agreed under Article 50 via QMV, but probably the whole lot.

Frankly it's as clear as mud, but I think the best-informed opinion is that, if it is a 'mixed' agreement, it will require unanimity:

However, if the final agreement cuts across policy areas within the preserve of the member states, such as certain elements of services, transport and investment protection – as many recent EU FTAs have done (for example with Peru and with Columbia) – it will be classed as a ‘mixed agreement’ and require additional ratification by every national parliament in the EU.

http://openeurope.org.uk/today/blog/the-mechanics-of-leaving-the-eu-explaining-article-50/

Individual Member States ratify the fnal new agreement nationally if it is a mixed agreement

Page 11, https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/504216/The_process_for_withdrawing_from_the_EU_print_ready.pdf

As I said, it's vital that we do our utmost to try to avoid it being a mixed agreement and sneak it all in under QMV, but is that possible? Who knows?

Yes, I think the first agreement should essentially just be dropping all tariffs between the EU and UK as well as the UK essentially preserving EU goods standards for exports to the EU so there are no NTBs. That's if we dont go for the EFTA/EEA route. We should build a relationship from the ground up, adding to it rather than working backwards from our current position which will require all 36 national and regional partliaments to ratify it.
  • Options
    I think Anthony Wells is having a dig at me

New post: What can British polling mishaps tell us about the US election?

*This has no place in a sensible article about polling methodology, but I feel I should point out to US readers that in British schoolboy slang when I was a kid – and possibly still today – to Trump is to fart. “Shy Trump” sounds like it should refer to surreptitiously breaking wind and denying it.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/9772
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,472
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

Wouldn't Iowa, Pennsylvania and Ohio be enough, even if he failed to take every state where Clinton's lead is currently smaller?
    IA,PA and OH account for 44 ECVs he'd still be 20 short of 270.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

An update on France, where the LR primary - just under a month away - looks to be heading to Juppé, in line with previous polls.

Sarkozy / Juppé

(Don't knows/refused excluded - they were about 10%)

OpinionWay 38 % / 62 %
    Ipsos 39 % / 61 %
    Ifop 39 % / 61 %
    Harris Interactive 46 % / 54 %

One new national poll (Harris):

First round:
    Juppé 39 % / Le Pen 29%
    Sarkozy 20% / Le Pen 25% (a decent poll at this stage for Sarkozy)

No second round polling; the status quo is a 55/45 victory for Sarkozy and a 65/35 victory for Juppé.

Some polls have shown Le Pen actually beating Juppe in the first round if Macron runs as a centrist candidate, which he probably will
    Yes; Macron takes about 10% of Juppe's vote, leaving Juppe and Le Pen on about 28% apiece.

That being said, it makes no difference to the ultimate outcome, as Le Pen basically picks up no transfers, and he wins 70:30.

The question is: can Sarkozy beat Juppe? It will be fascinating to watch, but if Juppe wins, he is near certain to be the next French President. Anything more than about 1.6 on him looks pretty good value to me*.

* I'm on at evens, at that may be skewing my view.
    Bayrou will also likely eat into Juppe's vote. If Le Pen comes first in round 1 it would be an earthquake, beating even her father's second place in 2002. Yes Juppe would likely win round 2 but he is the epitome of the French establishment, even more so than Sarkozy, while Marine Le Pen would position herself as a charismatic outsider and it would likely be closer than Chirac Jean Marie Le Pen was. Juppe is competent but lacks Chirac's charisma
    Bayrou has said he won't stand if Juppe is the LR candidate.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

An update on France, where the LR primary - just under a month away - looks to be heading to Juppé, in line with previous polls.

Sarkozy / Juppé

OpinionWay 38 % / 62 %
    Ipsos 39 % / 61 %
    Ifop 39 % / 61 %

First round:
    Juppé 39 % / Le Pen 29%

No second round polling; the status quo is a 55/45 victory for Sarkozy and a 65/35 victory for Juppé.

Some polls have shown Le Pen actually beating Juppe in the first round if Macron runs as a centrist candidate, which he probably will
    Yes; Macron takes about 10% of Juppe's vote, leaving Juppe and Le Pen on about 28% apiece.

That being said, it makes no difference to the ultimate outcome, as Le Pen basically picks up no transfers, and he wins 70:30.

The question is: can Sarkozy beat Juppe? It will be fascinating to watch, but if Juppe wins, he is near certain to be the next French President. Anything more than about 1.6 on him looks pretty good value to me*.

Bayrou will also likely eat into Juppe's vote. If Le Pen comes first in round 1 it would be an earthquake, beating even her father's second place in 2002. Yes Juppe would likely win round 2 but he is the epitome of the French establishment, even more so than Sarkozy, while Marine Le Pen would position herself as a charismatic outsider and it would likely be closer than Chirac Jean Marie Le Pen was. Juppe is competent but lacks Chirac's charisma
    Bayrou has said he won't stand if Juppe is the LR candidate.
    Some interesting reading:

http://www.europe1.fr/politique/bayrou-un-soutien-a-double-tranchant-pour-juppe-2856832
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Sarkozy / Juppé

OpinionWay 38 % / 62 %
    Ipsos 39 % / 61 %
    Ifop 39 % / 61 %

First round:
    Juppé 39 % / Le Pen 29%

Bayrou is a strong supporter of Juppé and will not challenge him.
    There's no likely about it. Bayrou has said he'll support Juppé if he is the LR nominee.
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

No. If Clinton wins Florida it's finished. Remember it's FOP or bust for Trump.

He has to flip FL OH and PA and keep NC AZ.

http://www.270towin.com/maps/r7evr
  • Options

*This has no place in a sensible article about polling methodology, but I feel I should point out to US readers that in British schoolboy slang when I was a kid – and possibly still today – to Trump is to fart. “Shy Trump” sounds like it should refer to surreptitiously breaking wind and denying it.

A Trump denier:

1) one who ignores the massive inroads that D. Trump is making with blacks, Hispanics, gays and women despite the disgusting bias of the MSM.

2) one who dealt it, smellled it then disowned it.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    edited October 2016
    the obvious thing is to take CETA, agree a UK modified version with Canada and make it effective day one of Brexit

This would also have the huge advantage of pissing juncker and schulz off.
  • Options

the obvious thing is to take CETA, agree a UK modified version with Canada and make it effective day one of Brexit

We could probably go better than CETA on a bilateral basis as the EU refused to open up financial services iirc, I'm sure the UK wouldn't.
  • Options
    National Tracker - Rasmussen - Sample 1,500 - 19-23 Oct

Clinton 41 .. Trump 43

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2016/white_house_watch_oct24
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

We could probably go better than CETA on a bilateral basis as the EU refused to open up financial services iirc, I'm sure the UK wouldn't.
    I think we'd probably use the EFTA-Canada trade deal tbh
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    JackW said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

No. If Clinton wins Florida it's finished. Remember it's FOP or bust for Trump.

He has to flip FL OH and PA and keep NC AZ.

http://www.270towin.com/maps/r7evr
    Oh yes, I agree he needs Florida. But if he had Pennsylvania, I don't think he would need to take absolutely all the others with a smaller Clinton lead. It looks as though he could do without one of the smaller ones - Nevada, Arizona or North Carolina.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

which ever way round there's a framework there and that's easier than starting from scratch
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

The fact that we have these choices (and no one else in the EU does), is precisely why Brexit is the right decision.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Maybe not for Canada given our historic ties. I think we'd go for bespoke rather than off the shelf. The government will want to show why leaving the EU has positives using an existing deal which isn't an ideal fit might not be a politically viable option.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

The fact that we have these choices (and no one else in the EU does), is precisely why Brexit is the right decision.

which is also why Mrs May is correct in stopping McWallonia from having a UK trade veto.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Maybe not for Canada given our historic ties. I think we'd go for bespoke rather than off the shelf. The government will want to show why leaving the EU has positives using an existing deal which isn't an ideal fit might not be a politically viable option.
    bespoke means starting from scratch, a redraft is quicker and more useful in political terms
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,067
    JackW said:

Clinton 41 .. Trump 43

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2016/white_house_watch_oct24

I've read why, but ensconced in the care of the NHS I haven't access to all my notes. Is there a reason why Rasmussen is so far away from everyone else?
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,472
    Interesting tidbits in this article. Looks like everyone is baking in a Clinton win to their calculations.

http://us.cnn.com/2016/10/24/politics/election-2016-donald-trump-hillary-clinton/index.html
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

I would have thought speed would be the primary concern.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Interesting to note that the UK is 40% of Canada's EU export market, while the UK is the EU's second biggest exporter to Canada with 16% of the exports.

We are 27% of the EU's total trade with Canada.

Germans berating Europe: http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/europa-im-wuergegriff-der-wallonen-das-ceta-drama-geht-weiter-14494651.html

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

new thread

• Options
    chestnut said:

Interesting to note that the UK is 40% of Canada's EU export market, while the UK is the EU's second biggest exporter to Canada with 16% of the exports.

We are 27% of the EU's total trade with Canada.

Germans berating Europe: http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/europa-im-wuergegriff-der-wallonen-das-ceta-drama-geht-weiter-14494651.html

suddenly it dawns on the Germans that the wrong people are leaving.

Maybe they should have been a bit more pragmatic.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,428
    "No presidential candidate since the advent of modern polling has overcome the sort of deficits Trump faces nationally"

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/clinton-trump-election-countdown-polls-230212
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

A Trump denier:

1) one who ignores the massive inroads that D. Trump is making with blacks, Hispanics, gays and women despite the disgusting bias of the MSM.

2) one who dealt it, smellled it then disowned it.
    3) One of several thousand women who said "Keep your hands to yourself, Donald."
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

JackW said:

Clinton 41 .. Trump 43

I've read why, but ensconced in the care of the NHS I haven't access to all my notes. Is there a reason why Rasmussen is so far away from everyone else?
    They have reported Trump scores with African Americans of anywhere from 17 to 24%
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited October 2016
    MaxPB said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

Should a Muslim baker be legally obliged to bake Cakes with " Ban new Mosque building " on them ? Is " 9/11 is a lie " a political belief ? If it is would a bereaved relative of a victim have to bake a cake with it on ? And so on and so on.

In Northern Ireland at least, the Muslim baker or bereaved relative would just have to suck it up.

Seems to be a very odd law. One imagines it would repealed if a Muslim baker was targeted.
    Rubbish.
    I'm sure you thought the police turning a blind eye to the gang rapes in Rotherham was also "rubbish" when The Times reported it all those years ago.
    And what about Jimmy savvile et al is he Muslim too?
    Different case and both have the same root cause of being a protected class. Muslims, celebrities and, until recently, the clergy got away with rape and sexual abuse because they are a protected class. Same as Trump, Bill Clinton and Bill Cosby in the US.
    Muslims are not a protected class, I can tell u that for nothing.
    Rotherham?
    That was wanting not to be racist not islamophic.
    Which means Muslims are a protected class.
    Go tell my local bus driver or butcher Muslims he's ppwerful. Lol
    A joke.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,077

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

which is also why Mrs May is correct in stopping McWallonia from having a UK trade veto.
    She will rue the day Alan
This discussion has been closed.