Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why you shouldn’t rely on the BREXIT experience as a pointer t

Comments

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Muslims are not a protected class, I can tell u that for nothing. ''

How many successful prosecutions for FGM again?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164

An update on France, where the LR primary - just under a month away - looks to be heading to Juppé, in line with previous polls.

Sarkozy / Juppé

(Don't knows/refused excluded - they were about 10%)

OpinionWay 38 % / 62 %
    Ipsos 39 % / 61 %
    Ifop 39 % / 61 %
    Harris Interactive 46 % / 54 %

One new national poll (Harris):

First round:
    Juppé 39 % / Le Pen 29%
    Sarkozy 20% / Le Pen 25% (a decent poll at this stage for Sarkozy)

No second round polling; the status quo is a 55/45 victory for Sarkozy and a 65/35 victory for Juppé.

Some polls have shown Le Pen actually beating Juppe in the first round if Macron runs as a centrist candidate, which he probably will
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited October 2016
    National Tracker - IBD/TIPP - Sample 815 - 18-23 Oct

Clinton 41 .. Trump 41

http://www.investors.com/politics/ibd-tipp-presidential-election-poll/
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited October 2016
    MaxPB said:

German media saying that the regional government of Brussels has declined ratification of CETA.

Brussels rejects the EU. :D

Stunning if correct and that's if? It does sum up the EU in one short sentence. Another would be in normal business terms

"Not fit for purpose" or for short SNAFU

EDIT - I note it's Wallonia- Brussels so a separate region or not?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited October 2016
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

nunu said:

619 said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

Some encouraging signs for Trump in Florida, there has been a surge in independents voting by mail and the ones that didn't vote in 2012 are much whiter and older:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/electionsmith/status/790349737341751296/photo/1

https://mobile.twitter.com/electionsmith/status/790393463506206720/photo/2

That's a slightly strange interpretation. Big rise in all absentee ballots for all registered affiliations, the proportions look pretty much the same to me.
    The dems and repubs are keeping up with each other which would make it a wash but the independents have surged from about 50k to 200k. So question is who are the NEW independents voting for?

"who are these newbie NPAs who didn’t vote in 2012?

Nearly 18% are Hispanic, but that’s below the 22% of all NPAs in the voter file who are Hispanic (as of September 1, 2016). Over 68% of the NPAs who’ve voted a VBM ballot but who didn’t vote in 2012 are white, well above the 59% of all NPAs in the voter file who are white." These are the new IPA voters only however.
    Interesting. Is there a big WWC population in Florida? It could be women as well...
    Florida is less white but the white population there is more non uni educated.

Looks like my initial claim its good for Trump doesn't stand up as you have to read the whole article
    https://electionsmith.wordpress.com/2016/10/22/another-electionsmith-exclusive/
    It's difficult to discern much from the early returns. I assume nothing is counted till polls close on election day ?
    We do know whether the voter is a registered Democrat/Republican/Independent and quite a lot of demographics. These do not point to shy Trumpers, and registration is closed in nearly all states.

Rasmussen has Trump winning 15% of Democrats, more than the 11% of Republicans Hillary is winning. If white, blue collar Democrats vote for Trump in a way they have not done for any Republican candidate since Reagan then party ID of voters is of little use
    And in 2012 Rasmussen had Romney beating Obama by 1%.

How is that Romney presidency going?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    nunu said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

Should a Muslim baker be legally obliged to bake Cakes with " Ban new Mosque building " on them ? Is " 9/11 is a lie " a political belief ? If it is would a bereaved relative of a victim have to bake a cake with it on ? And so on and so on.

In Northern Ireland at least, the Muslim baker or bereaved relative would just have to suck it up.

Seems to be a very odd law. One imagines it would repealed if a Muslim baker was targeted.
    Rubbish.
    I'm sure you thought the police turning a blind eye to the gang rapes in Rotherham was also "rubbish" when The Times reported it all those years ago.
    And what about Jimmy savvile et al is he Muslim too?
    Different case and both have the same root cause of being a protected class. Muslims, celebrities and, until recently, the clergy got away with rape and sexual abuse because they are a protected class. Same as Trump, Bill Clinton and Bill Cosby in the US.
    Muslims are not a protected class, I can tell u that for nothing.
    Rotherham?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,629
    Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

German media saying that the regional government of Brussels has declined ratification of CETA.

Stunning if correct and that's if? It does sum up the EU in one short sentence. Another would be in normal business terms

http://www.tagesschau.de/wirtschaft/ceta-bruessel-103.html

This is the source.
  • Options

nunu said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

Should a Muslim baker be legally obliged to bake Cakes with " Ban new Mosque building " on them ? Is " 9/11 is a lie " a political belief ? If it is would a bereaved relative of a victim have to bake a cake with it on ? And so on and so on.

In Northern Ireland at least, the Muslim baker or bereaved relative would just have to suck it up.

Seems to be a very odd law. One imagines it would repealed if a Muslim baker was targeted.
    Rubbish.
    I'm sure you thought the police turning a blind eye to the gang rapes in Rotherham was also "rubbish" when The Times reported it all those years ago.
    Different case and both have the same root cause of being a protected class. Muslims, celebrities and, until recently, the clergy got away with rape and sexual abuse because they are a protected class. Same as Trump, Bill Clinton and Bill Cosby in the US.
    Rotherham?
    Not real Muslims. Same as the terrorists in Paris, Brussels and Nice, I guess.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

nunu said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

Rubbish.
    Rotherham?
    That was wanting not to be racist not islamophic.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

nunu said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

Rubbish.
    Rotherham?
    Not real Muslims. Same as the terrorists in Paris, Brussels and Nice, I guess.
    Oh, yes, this excuse.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited October 2016
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37728681

Let's show out love and support to Chad Evans.
  • Options
    nunu said:

nunu said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

Rubbish.
    Rotherham?
    A distinction without a difference.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

This is the source.
    Isn't that because the Walloons veto'd it earlier in the week?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Rasmussen has Trump winning 15% of Democrats, more than the 11% of Republicans Hillary is winning. If white, blue collar Democrats vote for Trump in a way they have not done for any Republican candidate since Reagan then party ID of voters is of little use

Your love affair with Rasmussen is rather quaint.

Will it survive 8th November? .... I fear not ....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

What is the nature of your criticism? That the EU is too democratic or that it is not centralised enough? Or simply that it is not capable enough of imposing policies that you agree with?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

This is the source.
    That's not a rejection by the national Parliament but a rejection by the regional partliament of Brussels. It means 2/5 Belgian regional governments have rejected it.
  • Options
    nunu said:

nunu said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

Rubbish.
    Rotherham?
    Which means Muslims are a protected class.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,006
    Mr. Glenn, I'd say a confederacy of the EU's size is unworkable. As Machiavelli wrote, 4-6 is the sensible maximum number of members.

Anyway, I'm off for a bit.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    MaxPB said:

Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

This is the source.
    Thanks. My German isn't up to it but I note from the map on that link that Brussels is actually drawn separate to Wallonia. Some sites are saying Brussels- Wallonia so I was thinking there was a more direct link.

That means some 1% of the EU population has trashed the CETA agreement for the other 99% a negotiation that has been ongoing for seven years ....7 years!!!!

At least it's 4% difference here for the referendum and everyone got to vote even if they couldn't be arsed. How many here got to vote on acceptance of CETA and prevented the "head bangers" and xenophobic anti-everything little Wallonians and bBrussels nut jobs " from rejecting it?

That would be ........none.

I suppose we have to let idiocy take its course though as mentioned earlier in the thread

:wink:
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

It was one of the most accurate pollsters in 2004. It got 2012 wrong because of above average minority turnout. With Obama no longer on the ballot that is unlikely to be the case this year making turnout closer to 2004 and if white working class turnout is up on last time, especially with their greater enthusiasm for Trump than Romney, I would not dismiss Rasmussen yet
  • Options

Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

What is the nature of your criticism? That the EU is too democratic or that it is not centralised enough? Or simply that it is not capable enough of imposing policies that you agree with?
    None of the above.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

nunu said:

619 said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

Some encouraging signs for Trump in Florida, there has been a surge in independents voting by mail and the ones that didn't vote in 2012 are much whiter and older:

That's a slightly strange interpretation. Big rise in all absentee ballots for all registered affiliations, the proportions look pretty much the same to me.
    The dems and repubs are keeping up with each other which would make it a wash but the independents have surged from about 50k to 200k. So question is who are the NEW independents voting for?

Nearly 18% are Hispanic, but that’s below the 22% of all NPAs in the voter file who are Hispanic (as of September 1, 2016). Over 68% of the NPAs who’ve voted a VBM ballot but who didn’t vote in 2012 are white, well above the 59% of all NPAs in the voter file who are white." These are the new IPA voters only however.
    Interesting. Is there a big WWC population in Florida? It could be women as well...

Looks like my initial claim its good for Trump doesn't stand up as you have to read the whole article
    It's difficult to discern much from the early returns. I assume nothing is counted till polls close on election day ?
    We do know whether the voter is a registered Democrat/Republican/Independent and quite a lot of demographics. These do not point to shy Trumpers, and registration is closed in nearly all states.

As I said in 2004 they were spot on, it was the higher minority turnout in 2012 which was the problem for them
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

This is the source.
    That's not a rejection by the national Parliament but a rejection by the regional partliament of Brussels. It means 2/5 Belgian regional governments have rejected it.
    But they knew it was already dead? That might affect their decision.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    JackW said:

Clinton 41 .. Trump 41

and then there was just one for the Trump rampers, good old reliable RAS
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

It was one of the most accurate pollsters in 2004. It got 2012 wrong because of above average minority turnout. With Obama no longer on the ballot that is unlikely to be the case this year making turnout closer to 2004 and if white working class turnout is up on last time, especially with their greater enthusiasm for Trump than Romney, I would not dismiss Rasmussen yet
    It was out by 5 percentage points, that's not higher than average minority turnout, that's like 50% higher turnout.
  • Options
    619 said:

JackW said:

Clinton 41 .. Trump 41

It was tied yesterday too and that gives Trump a 50% chance on that poll
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

This is the source.
    But they knew it was already dead? That might affect their decision.
    It's possible but then again surely the Belgian capital region would want to affirm it's support for the EU and show that they aren't the same as those nasty Little Walloons.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

This is the source.
    Thanks. My German isn't up to it but I note from the map on that link that Brussels is actually drawn separate to Wallonia. Some sites are saying Brussels- Wallonia so I was thinking there was a more direct link.

That means some 1% of the EU population has trashed the CETA agreement for the other 99% a negotiation that has been ongoing for seven years ....7 years!!!!

At least it's 4% difference here for the referendum and everyone got to vote even if they couldn't be arsed. How many here got to vote on acceptance of CETA and prevented the "head bangers" and xenophobic anti-everything little Wallonians and bBrussels nut jobs " from rejecting it?

I suppose we have to let idiocy take its course though as mentioned earlier in the thread

Belgians demonstrating where sovereignty lies - in national parliaments...
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,076

@ScottyNational: Line : After Theresa May installs a direct line to Sturgeon re Brexit, a fault is reported as May can only hear a continuous whining noise

LOL
  • Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

It was out by 5 percentage points, that's not higher than average minority turnout, that's like 50% higher turnout.
    The main factor was above average minority turnout and that was the case with other pollsters too who underestimated Obama, this year that is not an issue as Hillary has far less enthusiasm amongst African Americans particularly than Obama did while white working class voters are more enthusiastic about Trump than Romney which could make up the remainder of the difference
  • Options

Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

This is the source.

This was a regional parliament in Belgium's power sharing deal.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,076
    Sean_F said:

Rubbish , it would be flung out pdq.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    HYUFD said:

An update on France, where the LR primary - just under a month away - looks to be heading to Juppé, in line with previous polls.

Sarkozy / Juppé

OpinionWay 38 % / 62 %
    Ipsos 39 % / 61 %
    Ifop 39 % / 61 %

First round:
    Juppé 39 % / Le Pen 29%

No second round polling; the status quo is a 55/45 victory for Sarkozy and a 65/35 victory for Juppé.

Some polls have shown Le Pen actually beating Juppe in the first round if Macron runs as a centrist candidate, which he probably will
    Yes; Macron takes about 10% of Juppe's vote, leaving Juppe and Le Pen on about 28% apiece.

That being said, it makes no difference to the ultimate outcome, as Le Pen basically picks up no transfers, and he wins 70:30.

The question is: can Sarkozy beat Juppe? It will be fascinating to watch, but if Juppe wins, he is near certain to be the next French President. Anything more than about 1.6 on him looks pretty good value to me*.

* I'm on at evens, at that may be skewing my view.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited October 2016
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Sarkozy / Juppé

OpinionWay 38 % / 62 %
    Ipsos 39 % / 61 %
    Ifop 39 % / 61 %

First round:
    Juppé 39 % / Le Pen 29%

Yes; Macron takes about 10% of Juppe's vote, leaving Juppe and Le Pen on about 28% apiece.

That being said, it makes no difference to the ultimate outcome, as Le Pen basically picks up no transfers, and he wins 70:30.

The question is: can Sarkozy beat Juppe? It will be fascinating to watch, but if Juppe wins, he is near certain to be the next French President. Anything more than about 1.6 on him looks pretty good value to me*.

I see Ladbrokes cut their odds from 5/6 to 4/6 :) We're ramping this

I guess Le Pen v Juppé could get interesting as the former knows she will have to do something different.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

This is the source.

Subsidiarity in action!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

So the case for the defence is that 12 years ago they got one correct. Whoopeee !!

Tell me what's your best guess when Rasmussen will start trending to the average Clinton poll lead? Perhaps it'll be the same time that AA voters suddenly desert Trump from over 20% of their sample to around 5% and in conjunction when Rasmussen also reflect that GOP voters are substantially less enthusiastic for Trump than Democrats are for Clinton.

It's a tricky one ....
  • Options

Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

This is the source.

And it was only sent for popular ratification to national Parliaments and assemblies because of pressure caused by Brexit. Juncker wanted to push it through without that and impose it via a series of directives.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    619 said:

JackW said:

Clinton 41 .. Trump 41

http://www.androidworld.com/prod35.htm

Rasmussen nailed 2004; they are like the Italian national side who have a good world cup every 12 years.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,140
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

nunu said:

619 said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

As I said in 2004 they were spot on, it was the higher minority turnout in 2012 which was the problem for them
    As I pointed out last night, in 2004 the Rasmussen lead you quoted was very close to the RCP average.

If two people were both right about something before, and they disagree now, it's daft to say one of them must be right now because he was right before!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

This is the source.

And it was only sent for popular ratification to national Parliaments and assemblies because of pressure caused by Brexit. Juncker wanted to push it through without that and impose it via a series of directives.
    Really? I'd be interested to read more on that plan...
  • Options

Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

This is the source.

Subsidiarity in action!
    I would beg to differ... the buck should have stopped at national governments.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,553
    edited October 2016
    rcs1000 said:

@Casino: surely there's at least one Muslim cake shop owner in Northern Ireland so we can actually run a test.

I am willing to put up the money. (I'm kind like that.)

I'm willing to eat the cake
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @Theuniondivvie That wasn't the only highlight from that interview:

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/790532437596106752
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

This is the source.

Subsidiarity in action!
    That's an issue for Belgium, not for the EU. If any entity is not fit for purpose in this picture, it's Belgium.
  • Options
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

So the case for the defence is that 12 years ago they got one correct. Whoopeee !!

Tell me what's your best guess when Rasmussen will start trending to the average Clinton poll lead? Perhaps it'll be the same time that AA voters suddenly desert Trump from over 20% of their sample to around 5% and in conjunction when Rasmussen also reflect that GOP voters are substantially less enthusiastic for Trump than Democrats are for Clinton.

It's a tricky one ....
    When was the last presidential election without Obama on the ballot boosting African American turnout? 12 years ago. Trump does not need to win African Americans every African-American who voted for Obama but not Hillary is a net gain for him. Blue collar Democrats are not enthusiastic about Hillary, establishment Republicans are not enthusiastic about Trump. Who are more numerous? Not the latter.
  • Options
    @HYUFD - As one of PB's most reliable and staunch Trumpsters perhaps you might take up my challenge and give some .... well any .... viable path to 270 EC votes for Donald ?
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

This is the source.

Subsidiarity in action!
    That's an issue for Belgium, not for the EU. If any entity is not fit for purpose in this picture, it's Belgium.
    Oh, I agree first and foremost the Belgians are to blame here. The EU gets second place for not selling the deal properly.

It certainly is interesting that it is Belgium, home of the EU, that this has happened. When I was there there did seem to be some tension - not by the majority but a sizeable minority - who felt that there was a growing divide between Brussel's new technocrats and the ordinary people.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    There are only a very few thousand Muslims in Northern Ireland:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Northern_Ireland

I'm not sure whether any of them has ventured into the fiercely competitive market in Northern Ireland for baked goods.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Sarkozy / Juppé

OpinionWay 38 % / 62 %
    Ipsos 39 % / 61 %
    Ifop 39 % / 61 %

First round:
    Juppé 39 % / Le Pen 29%

Bayrou will also likely eat into Juppe's vote. If Le Pen comes first in round 1 it would be an earthquake, beating even her father's second place in 2002. Yes Juppe would likely win round 2 but he is the epitome of the French establishment, even more so than Sarkozy, while Marine Le Pen would position herself as a charismatic outsider and it would likely be closer than Chirac Jean Marie Le Pen was. Juppe is competent but lacks Chirac's charisma
  • Options

Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

This is the source.

Subsidiarity in action!
    Oh, I agree first and foremost the Belgians are to blame here. The EU gets second place for not selling the deal properly.
    It doesn't really matter who is to blame. The issue is that a trade deal that was favourable to the UK has been lost because the EU is incapable of reaching any kind of consensus. Our leave vote is becoming more valuable and being vindicated on an almost daily basis right now.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Sarkozy / Juppé

OpinionWay 38 % / 62 %
    Ipsos 39 % / 61 %
    Ifop 39 % / 61 %

First round:
    Juppé 39 % / Le Pen 29%

Bayrou will also likely eat into Juppe's vote. If Le Pen comes first in round 1 it would be an earthquake, beating even her father's second place in 2002. Yes Juppe would likely win round 2 but he is the epitome of the French establishment, even more so than Sarkozy, while Marine Le Pen would position herself as a charismatic outsider and it would likely be closer than Chirac Jean Marie Le Pen was. Juppe is competent but lacks Chirac's charisma
    Bayrou is a strong supporter of Juppé and will not challenge him.
  • Options

I was using 'big guns' metaphorically, but..

I wonder how claims that he was building a survivalist compound were exaggerated - was it only a survivalist semi-detached house?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    MaxPB said:
    So if a bunch of Belgian communists, and greens can veto a free trade deal between Canada and the EU, then you do have to wonder what sort of deals and with whom would be acceptable? I suspect the answer is essentially no deals with anybody.

Better off out makes more sense by the day.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

It's a tricky one ....
    When was the last presidential election without Obama on the ballot boosting African American turnout? 12 years ago. Trump does not need to win African Americans every African-American who voted for Obama but not Hillary is a net gain for him. Blue collar Democrats are not enthusiastic about Hillary, establishment Republicans are not enthusiastic about Trump. Who are more numerous? Not the latter.
    The latter are certainly more prominent in other polls. And the scrabble by the GOP to disassociate themselves from Trump shows that it is something they are definitely worried about.

Also, the latter have a lot more women.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    glw said:

So if a bunch of Belgian communists, and greens can veto a free trade deal between Canada and the EU, then you do have to wonder what sort of deals and with whom would be acceptable? I suspect the answer is essentially no deals with anybody.

But we're going to get a BRILLIANT deal.

Oh, wait...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

It got it wrong in 2008 as well. Why didn't they learn?

What do they have as Hispanic support out of curiosity? Because that DEFINITELY won't be as high for Trump...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,812
    nunu said:

The cake case is interesting.

Does that mean someone can now walk into a Muslim bakers, and demand a cake with the image of Islam's Prophet on it?

Or walk into a muslim baker (rather than a christian baker) and ask for a cake celebrating a gay marriage.
    Oh stop muslims are often found to not be following the law and are sanctioned. Doubt Plato would be so outraged if it was a Muslim told to follow the law more like she would be saying good.
    Reading the BBC report, it's fairly clear that all a baker has to do is refuse to make a cake with ANY slogan (or religious figure) on it:
    The judges also said that Ashers would not have objected to a cake carrying the message: "Support Heterosexual Marriage" or indeed "Support Marriage"....

The point is not that they are being forced to provide a particular service; rather that they are not able in law to discriminate while providing that particular service.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think it would take very long to come up with some simple terms of service for those who fear getting caught out by this ruling.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

glw said:

Oh, wait...
    Brussels continues to demonstrate itself as bureaucratic, bogged down, and unable to face the problems of today.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    HYUFD said:

Ok .... let's give you a fall in AA turnout and an uptick in WWC for Trump.

I'll raise you ....

1. A spike in Hispanic turnout in swing states.
    2. A rise in women voting nationwide.
    3. A fall in overall GOP voters for Trump.
    4. A Clinton nationwide lead of 6 points plus
    5. A significant Clinton lead in most swing state polling
    6. Superor numbers for Clinton in most swing state early voting returns
    7. A rise in Democrat registrations in most swing states
    8. A huge disparity in favour of the Clinton ground game
    9. Rasmussen has Clinton losing two weeks out

And finally, the ace in the hole for Clinton ....

10. Donald Trump
  • Options
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

I'll raise you ....

9. Rasmussen had Clinton losing two week out

10. Donald Trump
    You missed Clinton's big lead in fundraising.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    edited October 2016
    I'm fairly certain I saw some polls for Fox News polls that had Clinton ahead. So Fox News are also part of the liberal elite MSM. Who knew?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/790534428942622721
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

glw said:

Oh, wait...
    By QMV you fool.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Scott_P said:

Oh, wait...

So what? Remain locked in an increasingly dysfunctional EU that won't do deals with the other 90% of the world? Access to the single market isn't that valuable.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    It's an unusual strategy if you want to get maximum supporter turnout. I think the "due to media bias it's neck and neck, help us win" would be more orthodox.

Trump and Corbyn has something in common here...
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Sarkozy / Juppé

OpinionWay 38 % / 62 %
    Ipsos 39 % / 61 %
    Ifop 39 % / 61 %

First round:
    Juppé 39 % / Le Pen 29%

I see Ladbrokes cut their odds from 5/6 to 4/6 :) We're ramping this

I guess Le Pen v Juppé could get interesting as the former knows she will have to do something different.
    It's strange, Juppe is like the French Hillary Clinton, certainly from the "more of the same" perspective, and having been around for centuries in french politics. He was one of the most hated PMs when he presided over massive strikes back in 1995, and yet is apparently now very popular again in France. I struggle to see him being much of an improvement on Hollande. I think they will basically end up in the same position again in 2022.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    glw said:

MaxPB said:

You're going to have similar problems doing trade deals with *anybody*. Free trade is currently unpopular, and there are people coming at it from both the right and the left. This is why Brexit was able to happen. But it also makes it hard or impossible for a non-destructive Brexit to happen.
  • Options
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

I'll raise you ....

10. Donald Trump
    As I said even if Trump wins more blue collar Democrats than Hillary wins establishment Republicans party ID makes little difference and polling as I posted yesterday showed African Americans 18% less enthusiastic about the 2016 election than the 2012 election. As for the polling whether the majority showing Clinton ahead or the minority showing Trump ahead or tied are correct we will find out on election night
  • Options

It's an unusual strategy if you want to get maximum supporter turnout. I think the "due to media bias it's neck and neck, help us win" would be more orthodox.

Trump and Corbyn has something in common here...
    The theory that only works in primaries/party leadership contests, not so much in general elections
  • Options
    @TSE Fox have a 6 point lead for Clinton.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

glw said:

Oh, wait...
    By QMV you fool.
    How do you know that? The Canada deal seemed to require unanimity. In our case, since migration is an issue, it is extremely far from obvious that we can structure a deal so that it sneaks in under QMV. As I've said before, I certainly hope that the UK negotiators are aware of the need to try to do so, but there's no guarantee either that they are aware, or that it can be done.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Sarkozy / Juppé

OpinionWay 38 % / 62 %
    Ipsos 39 % / 61 %
    Ifop 39 % / 61 %

First round:
    Juppé 39 % / Le Pen 29%

Even if he does not Macron almost certainly will
  • Options

@TSE Fox have a 6 point lead for Clinton.

Heh. Thought so. Fox News are shilling for Hillary.
  • Options
    619 said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

It's a tricky one ....
    The latter are certainly more prominent in other polls. And the scrabble by the GOP to disassociate themselves from Trump shows that it is something they are definitely worried about.

Also, the latter have a lot more women.
    Establishment Republicans are more likely just to vote downballot than for Hillary, apart from a handful like Bush Snr, libertarians will vote for Johnson not Clinton
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Sarkozy / Juppé

OpinionWay 38 % / 62 %
    Ipsos 39 % / 61 %
    Ifop 39 % / 61 %

First round:
    Juppé 39 % / Le Pen 29%

I would say Macron hasn't decided whether to take on Juppé, he'd definitely take on Sarkozy.

The polling already shows the effect of Macron on the Juppé/Le Pen race, it's not enough to make Juppé vulnerable.
  • Options
    619 said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

What do they have as Hispanic support out of curiosity? Because that DEFINITELY won't be as high for Trump...
    Rasmussen actually had Obama ahead in its final 2008 poll
  • Options
    619 said:
    Should be an IQ test, how many words in until you realise it's satire.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

619 said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

By how much? was it 1% when he won by around 7?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

When you've seen 20, you've seen them all.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    HYUFD said:

I think the clue is the final three words ....

Oh ... and whilst on the theme of a "clue" .... any clue yet of Trump's path to 270 ??
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422

glw said:

MaxPB said:

You're going to have similar problems doing trade deals with *anybody*. Free trade is currently unpopular, and there are people coming at it from both the right and the left. This is why Brexit was able to happen. But it also makes it hard or impossible for a non-destructive Brexit to happen.
    So, is the complaint that the EU erodes too much sovereignty or that too many veto-wielding entities make it sclerotic? Because to me, those points seem a bit contradictory.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

glw said:

Oh, wait...
    By QMV you fool.
    How do you know that? The Canada deal seemed to require unanimity. In our case, since migration is an issue, it is extremely far from obvious that we can structure a deal so that it sneaks in under QMV. As I've said before, I certainly hope that the UK negotiators are aware of the need to try to do so, but there's no guarantee either that they are aware, or that it can be done.
    "A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union. That agreement shall be negotiated in accordance with Article 218(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It shall be concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council, acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament."

From the text of the Lisbon treaty.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=CELEX:12008E218

And this is TFEU article 218, they really only mention the need to get permission from the EUparl to get the deal through. The Council of the EU will be given permission by the EUparl to negotiate present a deal by QMV which the EUparl will rubber stamp. As long as we don't stray into foreign affairs and social policy.
  • Options
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html

Their record looks fine to me?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

nunu said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

Rubbish.
    And yet Muslim men got away with mass gang rapes of white girls in northern cities for years while the police turned a blind eye. There is even some evidence that it has continued despite the comprehensive and damning report by Professor Alexis Jay.
    Maybe Muslim in name only.
    Seriously?
    Aren't there inherent risks in moving away from the Muslim faith?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

This is the source.

What is the UK government's position on this deal?
    Will the wishes of the UK government be implemented?

• Options

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

I'll raise you ....

10. Donald Trump
    You missed Clinton's big lead in fundraising.
    I didn't like to depress @HYUFD too much .... :sunglasses:
  • Options
    edited October 2016

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Sarkozy / Juppé

OpinionWay 38 % / 62 %
    Ipsos 39 % / 61 %
    Ifop 39 % / 61 %

First round:
    Juppé 39 % / Le Pen 29%

I would say Macron hasn't decided whether to take on Juppé, he'd definitely take on Sarkozy.

The polling already shows the effect of Macron on the Juppé/Le Pen race, it's not enough to make Juppé vulnerable.
    It could be enough though for Marine Le Pen to come first in round 1 according to some pollsters
  • Options
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,140
    Here's some commentary on the gay cake judgment, on a legal blog:
    http://www.pumpcourtchambers.com/blog/gay-cake

• Options
    edited October 2016
    glw said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, the organisation cannot function properly because of it's half-baked decision making structure, and the only ways to correct it is to further erode any semblance of national sovereignty or leave.

The EU is the road to nowhere.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

glw said:

Oh, wait...
    By QMV you fool.
    "A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union. That agreement shall be negotiated in accordance with Article 218(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It shall be concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council, acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament."

Yes, but that is the exit agreement, terms for leaving (who pays salaries and pensions, how to divide up any assets, etc etc). It's not about the separate deal we'll need to on our post-Brexit relationship with the EU. These two often get conflated, and in practice they will be mixed up, but they are not the same thing:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/02/article-50-trade-eu-deals-globalisation
  • Options

Certainly free trade is not as popular as it once was. But I think bilateral deals should be easier than the cat herding that is necessary to get the EU to agree to something.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

glw said:

Oh, wait...
    By QMV you fool.

Yes, but that is the exit agreement, terms for leaving (who pays salaries and pensions, how to divide up any assets, etc etc). It's not about the separate deal we'll need to on our post-Brexit relationship with the EU. These two often get conflated, and in practice they will be mixed up, but they are not the same thing:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/02/article-50-trade-eu-deals-globalisation
    The specific text says "taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union". That means at least a Heads of Terms will have to be agreed under Article 50 via QMV, but probably the whole lot.
  • Options
    The useless performance of the EU being used to explain why we should have remained?
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited October 2016

glw said:

MaxPB said:

So, is the complaint that the EU erodes too much sovereignty or that too many veto-wielding entities make it sclerotic? Because to me, those points seem a bit contradictory.
    If we want to do a trade deal with Canada (pre-BrExit) we cant because the EU has too much authority, and we can't get them to do it (as has been demonstrated) because its sclerotic.

Its the worse of both world in many ways, we cant make the deal, and they are unable to, so no deals get done.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

glw said:

Oh, wait...
    By QMV you fool.

Sure, so the question is how much you can include under "the arrangements for its withdrawal". For example, if the suggested arrangement was, "Britain will continue to pay its budget contributions, and in return Queen Elizabeth II will reign over all of Europe", you can imagine that other countries that already have monarchs might feel this should be in a separate treaty that they'd have veto power over.
  • Options
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

Oh ... and whilst on the theme of a "clue" .... any clue yet of Trump's path to 270 ??
    Above average white working class turnout in Iowa, Pennsylvania and Ohio, Michigan and one of Minnesota and Wisconsin. Florida and Nevada are also not yet out of his reach
This discussion has been closed.