Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Steven Woolf, who was odds on favourite to replace Farage, qui

Comments

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,503
    SeanT said:

chestnut said:

SeanT said:

Some interesting articles in the FT

Heathrow almost certain..

https://www.ft.com/content/d389df74-9486-11e6-a1dc-bdf38d484582

Hammond and May are fighting the Hard Brexiteers?

https://www.ft.com/content/2633a1dc-9465-11e6-a80e-bcd69f323a8b

Janan Ganesh thinks voters will change their minds on Brexit, when inflation kicks in

https://www.ft.com/content/15dadb7e-944d-11e6-a80e-bcd69f323a8b

Unless inflation goes absolutely crazy, I can't see it personally.

Most Brexit supporters are of an age where they can recall real inflation, while ultra-low interest rates of 0.25% have been terrible for the prudent.

It's also worth noting that outright owners who were heavily in favour of Leave and most likely to vote, account for a third of all households. They are safe from mortgage rate changes.

A great many also feel that house prices should fall for the benefit of their children and grandchildren who form generation rent.

People were told all the worst case scenarios - penury, world war 3, no one will talk to us or deal with us, back of the queue etc - and still voted Leave.

It's difficult to envisage all but the very softest leavers having a change of heart.
    Yes, I think it's wishful thinking by Ganesh. However I do think it's possible, indeed probable, that public opinion will swing behind a Very Soft Brexit as the economic indicators go negative (and they will). There is already evidence of this in the ComRes poll showing voters emphasising trade.

But that could be me - a Soft Brexiteer - indulging my own wishful thinking!
    I'd say that public opinion was always in favour of soft Brexit. Certainly now it looks like we'll definitely leave, you'd expect all of the 48% to be in favour of soft Brexit and probably a good third of the 52% to have always favoured soft Brexit .
    In fact, I'd have expected a significant proportion of the 48% to have favoured soft Brexit anyway - but they voted Remain because they feared hard Brexit and preferred Remain to Hard Brexit.
    Personally, I'm .a soft Brexiter - but I take the view that you have to be prepared to accept hard Brexit because otherwise there will be no alternative to no Brexit at all. And in my view hard Brexit is better than hard Remain.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

That said, and playing with electoral calculus, it is amazing how low Labour's support has to go before they are overtaken.

Even if you input a result of

45 Tories

20 Lib Dems

10 Labour

10 UKIP

5 Greens

Labour are STILL the second largest party!

FPTP will keep Labour alive for a long long time, even if it condemns them to semi-permanent opposition. Piquant.

At that level of swing calculators aren't worth anything.
    Still, it would take an earthquake to dislodge Labour from its 100 safest seats. That earthquake might have been UKIP. Not any more. Labour aren't going to die out any time soon.

Remember they only died in Scotland coz there was a vivid alternative, the SNP. Lacking that, Labour in England will endure, and surely revive one day
    Agreed. If the Liberals had an eye catching leader they could challenge well for centrist and centre left votes, particularly in areas where Labour are nowhere. Then the Tories would again be under threat from a Lib Lab pact.
  • Options

In other "ungovernable" news, Mrs. Price and I are delighted to announce the arrival of infant Price #3, Maia Elisabeth, born yesterday morning at 9.48am and weighing 8lb 14oz. Both mother and baby doing well and back at home!

Congratulations, welcome to a life of spelling your first name out Maia :)
    We debated sparing her the slightly more unusual form of her middle name on the basis that she already had enough on her plate...
    Congratulations
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408
    edited October 2016

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

That said, and playing with electoral calculus, it is amazing how low Labour's support has to go before they are overtaken.

45 Tories

20 Lib Dems

10 Labour

10 UKIP

5 Greens

FPTP will keep Labour alive for a long long time, even if it condemns them to semi-permanent opposition. Piquant.

Except that if the votes fall as you input, the results will be as predicted. They illustrate how ridiculous is our voting system, hugely biased towards parties that can concentrate their support (the very opposite of what any sensible democracy should want).
    No they would not. Try entering 2015 election results into 2010-2015 seat projectors. They fail.
    You miss my point. The seat model within the calculator tells you how many seats each party wins, and also tells you how many votes they get in total (which is, of course, the total that you input in the first place). If the votes fall exactly as modelled in the calculator, then the result is the one you will get. You can argue until the cows come home that in practice the same votes might be distributed differently, but you cannot argue that if the calculator has the vote distribution correct, the result is as it says.
    Except you're delusional if you believe that you can cut a parties share by two-thirds and "the votes fall exactly as modelled in the calculator". It has simply never happened.

"If the model is correct the result is correct" is a truism not an argument.
    Of course. But who is to say whether those same votes fall in a more, or less, favourable way? That is just speculation. The point is that the calculator's result is theoretically possible, but undeniably unreasonable.
    It's not undeniably unreasonable. We all elect the most popular local representatives, if the most popular representative in a local area is concentrated in one party then that is the choice of those voters.
    This is utter tosh. Maybe this made some sort of sense when most towns mostly looked after themselves, but sent some sort of representative to lobby a faraway king once or twice a year. But it is no model for a modern so-called democracy.
  • Options
    Congratulations Price family.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

45 Tories

20 Lib Dems

10 Labour

10 UKIP

5 Greens

Still, it would take an earthquake to dislodge Labour from its 100 safest seats. That earthquake might have been UKIP. Not any more. Labour aren't going to die out any time soon.

Remember they only died in Scotland coz there was a vivid alternative, the SNP. Lacking that, Labour in England will endure, and surely revive one day
    Agreed. If the Liberals had an eye catching leader they could challenge well for centrist and centre left votes, particularly in areas where Labour are nowhere. Then the Tories would again be under threat from a Lib Lab pact.
    Both the LibDems and Labour need a new set of MPs first. Neither currently has a anyone who fits the bill as an "eye catching leader".
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

In other "ungovernable" news, Mrs. Price and I are delighted to announce the arrival of infant Price #3, Maia Elisabeth, born yesterday morning at 9.48am and weighing 8lb 14oz. Both mother and baby doing well and back at home!

Congratulations. Lovely name. :)
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,503
    SeanT said:

Cookie said:

SeanT said:

chestnut said:

SeanT said:

Most Brexit supporters are of an age where they can recall real inflation, while ultra-low interest rates of 0.25% have been terrible for the prudent.

It's also worth noting that outright owners who were heavily in favour of Leave and most likely to vote, account for a third of all households. They are safe from mortgage rate changes.

A great many also feel that house prices should fall for the benefit of their children and grandchildren who form generation rent.

People were told all the worst case scenarios - penury, world war 3, no one will talk to us or deal with us, back of the queue etc - and still voted Leave.

It's difficult to envisage all but the very softest leavers having a change of heart.
    Yes, I think it's wishful thinking by Ganesh. However I do think it's possible, indeed probable, that public opinion will swing behind a Very Soft Brexit as the economic indicators go negative (and they will). There is already evidence of this in the ComRes poll showing voters emphasising trade.

I'd say that public opinion was always in favour of soft Brexit. Certainly now it looks like we'll definitely leave, you'd expect all of the 48% to be in favour of soft Brexit and probably a good third of the 52% to have always favoured soft Brexit .
    In fact, I'd have expected a significant proportion of the 48% to have favoured soft Brexit anyway - but they voted Remain because they feared hard Brexit and preferred Remain to Hard Brexit.
    Personally, I'm .a soft Brexiter - but I take the view that you have to be prepared to accept hard Brexit because otherwise there will be no alternative to no Brexit at all. And in my view hard Brexit is better than hard Remain.
    Agreed. When haggling, you have to be willing to walk away with no deal.

Which is where Cameron so utterly failed.
    Yes.
    Having said that, he did at least offer a referendum - which was more than any of his predecessors did.
    But if at any point in the past the British had been offered the chance of less Europe, we wouldn't have had to be put i the ridiculous position of having to say we want no Europe at all. The failure is therefore not just Cameron's but also Brown's, Blair's and Major's.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

With the almost certain demise of UKIP Theresa May doesn't have to go Brexit Cultural Revolution to win ex-supporters for the Tories.

But I think she is already invested.

The demise of UKIP means there is less pressure for Hard Brexit.
    Orange Bookers, Cameroons and Blairites are the only other viable 'big tent' party of government. They need to get on with the realignment.
    With Labour seemingly in self destruct mode, a realignment to the Tories and Whigs as the two main parties is quite possible.

It's the getting there that's the difficult bit. Labour down to c.150 seats at the next election could be a trigger for a dozen or two leaving the blues for the yellows.
    The test is when PB'ers like our Southam recognise that Labour's vision (such as it is) and culture are no longer appropriate to the more individualistic world of the 21st century. Then, there is the prospect of some realignment. So long as they cling to the idea that Corbyn and his hundreds of thousands of lefties might one day disappear in a puff of smoke, as currently appears to be their view, we are stuck with the current impasse as far as progressive politics is concerned.
    Seems fairly credible to me that the realignment might come along the Remain/Leave divide.

Presumably there would be a Re-enter-Europe-at-any-price party and a Make-the-best-of-what-we-are party.

With FPTP Labour is the only game in town if you are on the centre left. Corbyn is no obstacle compared to the difficulties of starting from scratch under our current electoral system.

• Options

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

45 Tories

20 Lib Dems

10 Labour

10 UKIP

5 Greens

Both the LibDems and Labour need a new set of MPs first. Neither currently has a anyone who fits the bill as an "eye catching leader".
    Labour have plenty of candidates. Their system just makes it near impossible for any of them to be elected leader.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Cookie said:

SeanT said:

chestnut said:

SeanT said:

Janan Ganesh thinks voters will change their minds on Brexit, when inflation kicks in

It's carpet haggling 1.01...

Carpet haggling 1.02 is "don't let on what type of carpet you want - nor how much you are prepared to pay". A lesson that the Remoaners need to learn. They are as idiotic as Cameron was.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548

Congratulations! One of the most welcome price changes of the year.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

This is utter tosh. Maybe this made some sort of sense when most towns looked after themselves and sent some sort of representative to lobby a faraway king once or twice a year, but it is no model for a modern so-called democracy.

Of course it is. If you treat the whole country as one hegemony then you can end up with a situation like in Labour where roughly half of all a parties members are in London. Do we want to aggravate a situation whereby only the concern of Londoners is what is tackled? The country exists beyond the M25. Even dividing the nation into regions is not enough as then if you have North West representatives they concentrate on conurbations like Manchester to the exclusion of others.

If a particular region has particular concerns, as for instance Northern Ireland and Scotland do, then it is only appropriate that those concerns are dealt with. Similarly it is for the benefit of the nation that we have MPs representing all corners of our nation whether it be Metropolitans, rural or suburban.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @SkyNewsBreak: Sky Sources: #UKIP donor Arron Banks is considering withdrawing his funding from the party following the resignation of MEP Steven Woolfe
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

With the almost certain demise of UKIP Theresa May doesn't have to go Brexit Cultural Revolution to win ex-supporters for the Tories.

But I think she is already invested.

The demise of UKIP means there is less pressure for Hard Brexit.
    Orange Bookers, Cameroons and Blairites are the only other viable 'big tent' party of government. They need to get on with the realignment.
    With Labour seemingly in self destruct mode, a realignment to the Tories and Whigs as the two main parties is quite possible.

It's the getting there that's the difficult bit. Labour down to c.150 seats at the next election could be a trigger for a dozen or two leaving the blues for the yellows.
    The test is when PB'ers like our Southam recognise that Labour's vision (such as it is) and culture are no longer appropriate to the more individualistic world of the 21st century. Then, there is the prospect of some realignment. So long as they cling to the idea that Corbyn and his hundreds of thousands of lefties might one day disappear in a puff of smoke, as currently appears to be their view, we are stuck with the current impasse as far as progressive politics is concerned.
    Seems fairly credible to me that the realignment might come along the Remain/Leave divide.

Presumably there would be a Re-enter-Europe-at-any-price party and a Make-the-best-of-what-we-are party.

With FPTP Labour is the only game in town if you are on the centre left. Corbyn is no obstacle compared to the difficulties of starting from scratch under our current electoral system.

If a catalytic change happens it will be an all or nothing kind of change. If a party can arise (whether it be SDP-style, LD or UKIP) to tackle Labour on the left they will either sweep almost all before it, or very little.

FPTP does not guarantee a parties survival. Don't just ask the Lib Dems or Scottish Labour, federally you could ask the 1993 Tories in Canada.
  • Options
    A great day for the Can't Be Arsed Party....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited October 2016
    Scott_P said:

@SkyNewsBreak: Sky Sources: #UKIP donor Arron Banks is considering withdrawing his funding from the party following the resignation of MEP Steven Woolfe

Looking more like the party's over. Northern Labour MPs will breathe a sigh of relief.

Opportunity for the English Democrats?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

45 Tories

20 Lib Dems

10 Labour

10 UKIP

5 Greens

Labour have plenty of candidates. Their system just makes it near impossible for any of them to be elected leader.
    All I can say, Sir, is that your eye is easily caught....
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,874
    edited October 2016
    On Woolfe: The Brexit referendum marked the beginning of the end of UKIP, a party which has been running on Farage's charisma and Aaron Banks's money. Woolfe was supposed to continue this legacy - if he's out, then we can expect the UKIP organisation to degrade quickly into incoherency.

Farage wants to travel the world and spies a career as a right wing pundit on US cable. Banks seems to be giving up in favour of single issue campaigning.

UKIP's polling may be the last to go - there are few other vehicles for the prostate problems vote - but it's goodbye to any hopes of growing their presence in Westminster. Much of the vote will simply dissolve into non-voting. Ironically, I'd expect Carswell to hang on, even as his party label becomes redundant.

It does of course leave the Tory headbangers isolated, ideologically at least. The FT article cited above names the leaders of the hard Brexit gang as Johnson, Fox, Davis, Patel and Leadsom. But Johnson is clearly a fair weather friend, and neither Fox or Davis have many friends in the PLP. Leadsom I think has reassessed her ambitions after 15 minutes of fame. Only Patel could be dangerous, I think.
    I could see her trying to mobilise the headbangers if we look to heading toward too soft a Brexit.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited October 2016
    Scott_P said:

What's that sound... is it a bird, is it a plane, no its the sound of rejoicing among Labour MPs in Northern Working Class seats.

Despite Corbyn been shit, the folks in places like Stoke are not going to be voting Tory, so the donkey in red rosette gets in again.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

Congratulations Mr and Mrs Price!!
  • Options
    What proportion of UKIP's income came from Banks?

I seem to recall Banks famously defecting during the Tory conference after the rise of UKIP as the main protest party in the polls so can his influence be overestimated?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    JackW said:

Quinnipiac - Florida .. Ohio .. Pennsylvania .. Colorado .. 10-16 Oct

FL - Clinton 48 .. Trump 44
    OH - Clinton 45 .. Trump 45
    PA - Clinton 47 .. Trump 41
    CO - Clinton 45 .. Trump 37

https://www.qu.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/2016-presidential-swing-state-polls/release-detail?ReleaseID=2388

Remember when Colorado was a sure thing for Trump and Clinton was finished? Good times, good times.
  • Options
    Someone's going to get sent off at Anfield if they carry on like this.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Cookie said:

SeanT said:

Cookie said:

SeanT said:

chestnut said:

SeanT said:

I

Yes.
    Having said that, he did at least offer a referendum - which was more than any of his predecessors did.
    But if at any point in the past the British had been offered the chance of less Europe, we wouldn't have had to be put i the ridiculous position of having to say we want no Europe at all. The failure is therefore not just Cameron's but also Brown's, Blair's and Major's.
    Oh, absolutely. The europhiles who denied us a vote time and again, on lesser issues, where we could have steered the EU to a better place, and avoided this sad rupture, are all to blame. I loathe them. Passionately.
    The implosion of UKIP makes things worse for the remoaners in the Tory Party. Most of their voters will return to the Tories and will be essential to a future Tory Party. Secondly with UKIP defunct, Farage will be free to form UKIP 2.0 if there is serious backsliding - assuming he isnt by then a Tory Cabinet Minister.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

Scott_P said:

What's that sound...it is a bird, it is a plane, no its the sound of rejoicing in Northern Working Class Labour seats held by Pro-Remainers.

Despite Corbyn been shit, the folks in places like Stoke are not going to be voting Tory, so the donkey in red rosette gets in again.
    I wouldn't bet on it just yet. Let's see what Banks, Nige and Wolfe come up with first. Could be AfB.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Looking more like the party's over. Northern Labour MPs will breathe a sigh of relief.

Opportunity for the English Democrats?
    More like an opportunity for the Tories. If Ukip implodes then will be interesting to see how much of its vote makes the final leap to the Blues, how much (if any) is willing to tolerate Jeremy Corbyn, and how many give up.

Eng Dems are very fringe and likely to remain so.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @wikileaks: We can confirm Ecuador cut off Assange's internet access Saturday, 5pm GMT, shortly after publication of Clinton's Goldman Sachs speechs.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    edited October 2016

On Woolfe: The Brexit referendum marked the beginning of the end of UKIP, a party which has been running on Farage's charisma and Aaron Banks's money. Woolfe was supposed to continue this legacy - if he's out, then we can expect the UKIP organisation to degrade quickly into incoherency.

Farage wants to travel the world and spies a career as a right wing pundit on US cable. Banks seems to be giving up in favour of single issue campaigning.

UKIP's polling may be the last to go - there are few other vehicles for the prostate problems vote - but it's goodbye to any hopes of growing their presence in Westminster. Much of the vote will simply dissolve into non-voting. Ironically, I'd expect Carswell to hang on, even as his party label becomes redundant.

It does of course leave the Tory headbangers isolated, ideologically at least. The FT article cited above names the leaders of the hard Brexit gang as Johnson, Fox, Davis, Patel and Leadsom. But Johnson is clearly a fair weather friend, and neither Fox or Davis have many friends in the PLP. Leadsom I think has reassessed her ambitions after 15 minutes of fame. Only Patel could be dangerous, I think.
    I could see her trying to mobilise the headbangers if we look to heading toward too soft a Brexit.

You're forgetting that the les headbangers are now Soubry, Clarke etc.

The others you mention are in Govt.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

What's that sound...it is a bird, it is a plane, no its the sound of rejoicing in Northern Working Class Labour seats held by Pro-Remainers.

I wouldn't bet on it just yet. Let's see what Banks, Nige and Wolfe come up with first. Could be AfB.
    English Nationalist Party?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

SeanT said:

Cookie said:

SeanT said:

Cookie said:

SeanT said:

chestnut said:

SeanT said:

I

Yes.
    Oh, absolutely. The europhiles who denied us a vote time and again, on lesser issues, where we could have steered the EU to a better place, and avoided this sad rupture, are all to blame. I loathe them. Passionately.
    The implosion of UKIP makes things worse for the remoaners in the Tory Party. Most of their voters will return to the Tories and will be essential to a future Tory Party. Secondly with UKIP defunct, Farage will be free to form UKIP 2.0 if there is serious backsliding - assuming he isnt by then a Tory Cabinet Minister.
    Farage, Tory Cabinet minister? You're having a laugh?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@wikileaks: We can confirm Ecuador cut off Assange's internet access Saturday, 5pm GMT, shortly after publication of Clinton's Goldman Sachs speechs.

They've finally become embarrassed about their guest, who I suspect has long outstayed his welcome.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

But Johnson is clearly a fair weather friend, and neither Fox or Davis have many friends in the PLP.

Something in common with Corbyn, then.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I no longer believe a word they say.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    edited October 2016
    Scott_P said:

Assange in "Quito" bit of trouble?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Cookie said:

SeanT said:

Cookie said:

SeanT said:

chestnut said:

SeanT said:

I

Yes.
    The day Farage becomes a Tory is the day I become a Lib Dem.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Cookie said:

SeanT said:

Cookie said:

SeanT said:

chestnut said:

SeanT said:

I

Yes.
    Is Woolf gonna become a Tory?
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784

Scott_P said:

Asaange in "Quito" bit of trouble?
    t

Scott_P said:

turns out being massively Pro Trump has backfired on assange.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    SeanT said:

chestnut said:

SeanT said:

What is this "Soft BrExit" of which you speak ?

We have to at least entertain the possibility that Tusk was speaking the truth, that is Hard BrExit or No BrExit. The later of which is a guaranteed election loss.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

They will never use the word nationalist in any new party. I think the policies will be closer to AfD. Anti-immigration, anti-refugee, anti-globalisation and shamelessly patriotic in a way that older voters identify with.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    619 said:

Scott_P said:

t

Scott_P said:

Isn't he just anti Clinton?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

They will never use the word nationalist in any new party. I think the policies will be closer to AfD. Anti-immigration, anti-refugee, anti-globalisation and shamelessly patriotic in a way that older voters identify with.
    Why not call themselves nationalist as that's what they'd be? Worked for the SNP (which has possibly detoxified the word).
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

They've finally become embarrassed about their guest, who I suspect has long outstayed his welcome.
    Given that the 'Embassy' is a two bedroomed apartment, and he's not left the building since he walked through the door in June 2012, I'd say his welcome was outstayed some time ago.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Given that the 'Embassy' is a two bedroomed apartment, and he's not left the building since he walked through the door in June 2012, I'd say his welcome was outstayed some time ago.
    He is like one of those friends you make on holiday, which you say if you are ever passing we would love to have you stay, thinking chances of them ever doing so is practically zero....then they appear at your front door and never want to leave....
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    edited October 2016
    Scott_P said:

The Trump supporters on Reddit have been flipping out about this all day. If you believed them the US cut his internet, then overnight the UK police stormed the embassy and nabbed Assange, the police then handed Assange to the US government who flew him on a private jet to the US. All of this to stop Wikileaks from delivering a killer blow to Clinton's campaign. What evidence did they have for all of this? None.

So if it is Assange's hosts that cut the internet that is just perfect.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Alistair said:

JackW said:

Quinnipiac - Florida .. Ohio .. Pennsylvania .. Colorado .. 10-16 Oct

FL - Clinton 48 .. Trump 44
    OH - Clinton 45 .. Trump 45
    PA - Clinton 47 .. Trump 41
    CO - Clinton 45 .. Trump 37

https://www.qu.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/2016-presidential-swing-state-polls/release-detail?ReleaseID=2388

Remember when Colorado was a sure thing for Trump and Clinton was finished? Good times, good times.
    These are very solid polls for Clinton, the more so as 538 adjustment adds +2 to her lead in each state as Q has small GOP lean thus cycle.
  • Options

What proportion of UKIP's income came from Banks?

I seem to recall Banks famously defecting during the Tory conference after the rise of UKIP as the main protest party in the polls so can his influence be overestimated?

I read that as Banks famously defecating during the Tory conference!
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Indigo said:

SeanT said:

chestnut said:

SeanT said:

We have to at least entertain the possibility that Tusk was speaking the truth, that is Hard BrExit or No BrExit. The later of which is a guaranteed election loss.
    Canada are negotiating very significant trade access with no obligation on FoM.

Is that Hard, Soft, Remain?

The Spanish Foreign Minister was suggesting that option was open to us.
  • Options
    RobD said:

619 said:

Scott_P said:

t

Scott_P said:

in a 2 horse race, when you are actively trying to ruin one of the horses, id say thats not much of a distinction...
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

Scott_P said:

Perhaps the words of the Washington Post will carry more weight ?
    https://twitter.com/JoeNBC/status/788086335852666880
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

Why not call themselves nationalist as that's what they'd be? Worked for the SNP (which has possibly detoxified the word).
    That would be the Scottish National Party. I'm not aware of any Scottish Nationalist Party.
  • Options
    619 said:

RobD said:

619 said:

Scott_P said:

t

Scott_P said:

in a 2 horse race, when you are actively trying to ruin one of the horses, id say thats not much of a distinction...
    I think it's a pretty big distinction, actually.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    chestnut said:

Indigo said:

SeanT said:

chestnut said:

SeanT said:

Canada didn't just vote to leave the EU.

I never think it is a good idea to underestimate the small mindedness of our EU "friends" when their unrealistic fantasy dream is under threat.
  • Options

Congrats! I shall be raising a glass to your good news.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

chestnut said:

Indigo said:

SeanT said:

chestnut said:

SeanT said:

I never think it is a good idea to underestimate the small mindedness of our EU "friends" when their unrealistic fantasy dream is under threat.
    Why don't we have a FTA with Canada to re-export our products to the EU through Canada.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

The Hillary emails story is one of the dullest stories ever. It is tear inducingly dull - beaten only by Wikileaks' output on anything at all
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

Lying corrupt turd sandwich vs sexist racist giant douche...thats America's choice.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

Ooh. Do we have an actual serious story here, after all the false starts? If she did indeed try and bribe the FBI then she's surely toast, but it's not going to be that simple. It never is with Hillary.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Sandpit said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

Ooh. Do we have an actual serious story here, after all the false starts? If she did indeed try and bribe the FBI then she's surely toast, but it's not going to be that simple. It never is with Hillary.
    Like lots of the dodgy stuff relating to the Clintons e.g. pay for play allegations, I am sure there won't be a smoking gun. Somebody is always the unlucky fall guy and will get chucked under the bus if required.

Its the advantage of knowing the system inside out. It reminds me of House of Cards (US edition)...
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

The Hillary emails story is one of the dullest stories ever. It is tear inducingly dull - beaten only by Wikileaks' output on anything at all
    Did someone say the cover-up is worse than the crime ?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

chestnut said:

Indigo said:

SeanT said:

chestnut said:

SeanT said:

I do accept that they really want to protect their 'vision' and that any outcome must reflect that just as ours must reflect the referendum result.

Within those parameters though, sense must prevail with some workable compromise drummed up if only to see national politicians through into their own national elections.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

SeanT said:

Cookie said:

SeanT said:

Cookie said:

SeanT said:

chestnut said:

SeanT said:

I

Yes.
    But, just think how much fun it would be to read TSE's reaction, should Theresa May enoble Nigel Farage, and make him a minister.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

They should ask her on the debate stage on Wednesday.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

But, just think how much fun it would be to read TSE's reaction, should Theresa May enoble Nigel Farage, and make him a minister.

About as fun as watching a cockroach ennoble an emerald cockroach wasp.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

SeanF, I can imagine your reticence in answering after the hopes you have invested in UKIP - but do you think it is now a spent force in Westminster politics?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Hahaha.

He will be roaming Sheffield Hallam pleading people to vote Nick Clegg just like last time.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Jobabob said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

You probably said that
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    Sandpit said:

Fat chance of any action before the election, or after. The DOJ is letting her off the hook because it would cause chaos to indict a candidate.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

Like lots of the dodgy stuff relating to the Clintons e.g. pay for play allegations, I am sure there won't be a smoking gun. Somebody is always the unlucky fall guy and will get chucked under the bus if required.

Its the advantage of knowing the system inside out. It reminds me of House of Cards (US edition)...
    Her statement that she didn't understand the classification markings is an outright lie, if at the same time her number two at State is discussing them with the FBI.

I've said before that the RNC PAC would be mad not to run a spoof 'House of Cards' trailer from the final debate to Election Day.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Sandpit said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

They should ask her on the debate stage on Wednesday.
    its someone apparently in the state dept, but very loosely linked to Clinton and no evidnece she was involved.

so... SNOOOZZEEE
  • Options
    Sky have been marketing Liverpool v Man Utd all day. Awful game.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

Government departments and agencies are bartering all the time. Granted it doesn't look good but there's no evidence that Clinton herself made the request.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Speedy said:

Jobabob said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

You probably said that
    Thanks for the compliment.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Mourinho parking the bus against Liverpool is quite predictable.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Rubbish so far, probably 'cos @TSE is there.

Odds of the match finishing with 22 men on the field are rapidly diminishing though.
  • Options
    On any normal following of the rules Farage deserves a peerage. Indeed he should have been made a Privy Counsellor sometime ago.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

One of those "it would be hilarious if [nasty hard right person gains in an unlikely manner]" posts right wingers are so fond on.

It would be hilarious if Ed Miliband was discovered to be the lovechild of the Queen and therefore was next in line for the throne.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2016
    The Telegraph are running the headline "Donald Trump alleges 'large scale voter fraud', raising fears he could refuse to concede". When they hear that kind of idea I wonder what proportion of the US electorate decide that rather than abstaining or voting for one of Trump's opponents they will now vote for Trump, because it's safer. Surely some will take the view that a Trump loss may well lead to civil war whereas a Trump win probably won't? Trump's presentation contains a big dollop of "I'm a strong man who's going to make people safe".
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

SeanT said:

Carpet haggling 1.02 is "don't let on what type of carpet you want - nor how much you are prepared to pay". A lesson that the Remoaners need to learn. They are as idiotic as Cameron was.
    More likely they're well aware of 1.02, but are just desperately trying anything to delay the triggering of Article 50 and/or send us into negotiations as weak and hamstrung as possible in the vain hope that they can find a way to throw a spanner in the works of Brexit. All rather sad.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Jobabob said:

Speedy said:

Jobabob said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

You probably said that
    Speedy said:

Jobabob said:

Speedy said:

Jobabob said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

You probably said that
    It wasn't one
  • Options

Congratulations!
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

The Telegraph are running the headline "Donald Trump alleges 'large scale voter fraud', raising fears he could refuse to concede". When they hear that kind of idea I wonder what proportion of the US electorate decide that rather than abstaining or voting for one of Trump's opponents they will now vote for Trump, because it's safer.

I suspect it will have no effect or the opposite effect. It smacks of sheer desperation
  • Options

On any normal following of the rules Farage deserves a peerage. Indeed he should have been made a Privy Counsellor sometime ago.

Agreed. Difficult to argue he hasn't made a large contribution to public life. Would be surprised if there isn't something for him in the new year honours.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

SeanF, I can imagine your reticence in answering after the hopes you have invested in UKIP - but do you think it is now a spent force in Westminster politics?
    In all likelihood, unless the government backtracks/falls over Brexit.
  • Options
    glw said:

Sandpit said:

Fat chance of any action before the election, or after. The DOJ is letting her off the hook because it would cause chaos to indict a candidate.
    The DOJ is letting her off the hook because otherwise Trump would become President.

Not sure what would happen after the election has passed, though without 67 GOP senators to impeach her, Hillary will still stay in office until she loses the 2020 election as a lame duck.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited October 2016
    Jobabob said:

Sean_F said:

One of those "it would be hilarious if [nasty hard right person gains in an unlikely manner]" posts right wingers are so fond on.

It would be hilarious if Ed Miliband was discovered to be the lovechild of the Queen and therefore was next in line for the throne.
    Bastards don't inherit the throne, alas for that counterfactual. Various attempts have been made over the years to overturn the convention but generally end up with said illegitmate person in a different part of the Tower of London from their head.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Many thanks to everyone for their congratulations :-)
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194

Jobabob said:

Sean_F said:

Bastards don't inherit the throne, alas for that counterfactual
    Not unless they're called William and were born in Normandy.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

Her statement that she didn't understand the classification markings is an outright lie, if at the same time her number two at State is discussing them with the FBI.

I've said before that the RNC PAC would be mad not to run a spoof 'House of Cards' trailer from the final debate to Election Day.
    If she truly *didn't* understand the classification markings, wouldn't that make her too stupid to be Secretary of State?
  • Options

Congratulations for the baby, I just read it on the comments bellow.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

glw said:

Sandpit said:

The DOJ is letting her off the hook because otherwise Trump would become President.

Not sure what would happen after the election has passed, though without 67 GOP senators to impeach her, Hillary will still stay in office until she loses the 2020 election as a lame duck.
    Mixed metaphors there surely? She won't be a lame duck until 2024 and can't lose the election then when she is.
  • Options

Splendid news. Now the fun really starts as there are more of them than there are of you.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

SeanT said:

More likely they're well aware of 1.02, but are just desperately trying anything to delay the triggering of Article 50 and/or send us into negotiations as weak and hamstrung as possible in the vain hope that they can find a way to throw a spanner in the works of Brexit. All rather sad.
    The problem is that (a) we decided to buy the Carpet publiclly by referendum before deciding what 1.01 and 1.02 are ( b) We still haven't decided what 1.01 and 1.02 are and in a democracy can't really be kept secret from the Carpet Seller. ( c) Once A50 is invoked we have to buy a carpet at the end of two years. We can't walk away. Only the quality of the carpet is at stake. ( d ) 48% of hagglers didn't want to buy the Carpet in the first place. ( e) of the 52% that did want floor covering there were huge disagreement what sort. ( f ) The Carpet Seller is unconventional. They don't want repeat trade. They either want you not to enter the shop in the first place or buy a **** carpet you'll hate. They don't want success.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

SeanT said:

Hard to have any respect for those playing this game. Be interesting to see after Article 50 is triggered, how many will be seeking to Rejoin the EU. Complete with the Euro.

I'm thinking not so many...
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

If she truly *didn't* understand the classification markings, wouldn't that make her too stupid to Secretary of State?
    In the eyes of most people, yes, but Mrs Slopey Shoulders will find some weasel words to get around it, probably involving Russian hackers and trying to shoot the messenger.

What would affect her is evidence of a straight up lie to the emails enquiry, alas I don't think we've got that yet.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

Jobabob said:

Sean_F said:

Bastards don't inherit the throne, alas for that counterfactual
    Not unless they're called William and were born in Normandy.
    Or Elizabeth (the first of her name).
  • Options

Essexit said:

SeanT said:

The problem is that (a) we decided to buy the Carpet publiclly by referendum before deciding what 1.01 and 1.02 are ( b) We still haven't decided what 1.01 and 1.02 are and in a democracy can't really be kept secret from the Carpet Seller. ( c) Once A50 is invoked we have to buy a carpet at the end of two years. We can't walk away. Only the quality of the carpet is at stake. ( d ) 48% of hagglers didn't want to buy the Carpet in the first place. ( e) of the 52% that did want floor covering there were huge disagreement what sort. ( f ) The Carpet Seller is unconventional. They don't want repeat trade. They either want you not to enter the shop in the first place or buy a **** carpet you'll hate. They don't want success.
    We have to buy a carpet but there's no guarantee which carpet we will buy.
  • Options

Speedy said:

glw said:

Sandpit said:

Mixed metaphors there surely? She won't be a lame duck until 2024 and can't lose the election then when she is.
    Hillary won't win re-election, Trump would be too old to run in 2020.
This discussion has been closed.