Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Steven Woolf, who was odds on favourite to replace Farage, qui

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Surely 21st Century medical techniques render it fairly straightforward to determine someone's age to within say +/- 2 years,particularly for those in their formative years.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2016

Surely 21st Century medical techniques render it fairly straightforward to determine someone's age to within say +/- 2 years,particularly for those in their formative years.

I don't think it's always possible. I took an eye test recently which is supposed to be able to predict your age within a certain range but it got me out by about 10 years because my eyes were in better condition than expected by the test.
  • Options

I also accept given the media circus the Home Office should have picked more archetypally sympathetic candidates to be first.

If one was terrifically cynical, one might almost think they wanted it to be badly received by the general public.
    Fair comment.
  • Options

I also accept given the media circus the Home Office should have picked more archetypally sympathetic candidates to be first.

If one was terrifically cynical, one might almost think they wanted it to be badly received by the general public.
    Yes.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited October 2016

Surprisingly it isn't. Mentioned on the previous thread, the Nigerian youth football team were busted for having 26 over age players using MRI scanning etc....one problem, one of the players flagged up was born and had spent his whole life in the US and had full documentation which backed this up. There was absolutely no doubt he was the age he said he was, but the medical tests showed up as him being significantly older.

There was another case in the UK a few years ago, where two Nigerians were convicted of murder. They claimed they were children when they committed the crime and thus should serve in a young offenders and not be deported. The judge ordered loads of tests and they came back inconclusive. In the end, the judge ruled they were adults due to evidence relating to backstory, their entry into the UK etc, not the medical evidence.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited October 2016
    AndyJS said:

I don't think it's always possible. I took an eye test recently which is supposed to be able to predict your age within a certain range but it got me out by about 10 years because my eyes were in better condition than expected by the test.
    This piece from The New Scientist in 2012 sets out some of the scientific areas and difficulties encountered in attempting to establish someone's age accurately:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21428644-300-with-no-paper-trail-can-science-determine-age/
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

A very good point
  • Options

RobD said:

SeanT said:

The Home Office has no way of verifying the age of child refugees being brought to the UK, it has emerged amid concerns that adults are posing as minors to gain access to Britain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/17/from-the-calais-jungle-to-croydon-migrant-children-arrive-in-bri/

What an absolute disgraceful fiasco. These are clearly adult men. Some look over 30. "Children"???

Every charity worker who sincerely wants to help refugees has been rendered comical, devious and mendacious in the eyes of the public.
    When I hear the word children I think of something like 8-10, not 17!
    The PB brains trust has stated that everyone up to and including the age of 17 years is a child.
    Repeatedly.
    In terms of voting, they are ;) But still, I think 39 is a bit old to be called a child, don't you :p
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    He's lost it.....(even more so).

Ben Jacobs Verified account
    @Bencjacobs

Trump says 1.8 million dead people will vote and they will vote for someone else
  • Options
    nunu said:

He's lost it.....(even more so).

Ben Jacobs Verified account
    @Bencjacobs

Trump says 1.8 million dead people will vote and they will vote for someone else

It seems like Trump fancies Alex Jones' gig....
  • Options
    Head desk thud...thud...thud...Boycott Paypal....because some bloke who doesn't work there anymore donated to Trump.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/10/17/paypal-founder-peter-thiels-1m-trump-donation-leads-to-boycott-c/
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130

Head desk thud...thud...thud...

Warming up for the debate?
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

Head desk thud...thud...thud...

Warming up for the debate?
    It's hard to guess what trump will come up with for that one. I suppose it will be wild...
  • Options
    New thread by our very own Sunil!
This discussion has been closed.