Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Get ready for another CON by-election defence if the Heathrow

Comments

• Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Patrick said:

Jobabob said:

Patrick said:

Jobabob said:

Scott_P said:

taffys said:

The latest remainer condescension, that the plebs will flock back to remain when their beer and bingo becomes more expensive, is perhaps the most nauseating.

Yes, no chance of that...

https://twitter.com/harikunzru/status/787772136320536576

Still narrow, but raises an interesting question.

What happens if public opinion moves decisively to remaining before we invoke Article 50? It could happen.
    This conveniently ignores the number of regretful Remain voters - of whom I have met many. I suspect their number now exceeds the regretful leavers.
    Polling vs PB Leaver anecdote.
    Do we have any regretful remainer polls? Or 'if we re-ran the referendum today' polls?
    I am just referring to the hard data ScottP posted earlier from the British Election Survey. You are referring to chats you had with your friends.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''But as I've said before, a solution that leaves Britain paying into the EU, subject to a European court and European directives and retaining free movement of people is not going to look much like Brexit to an awful lot of people. ''

I have a feeling that what May is now thinking about is essentially a massive bribe to allow us full independence.

It wouldn't surprise me if we paid more, perhaps quite substantially more, to get a tailor made solution in return.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

You be careful in the Canterbury area, Mr. Cole. They are a funny lot over the border in Kent and can be dangerous if roused.

If ever you make it to Sussex, shout out in advance and I'll buy you a decent lunch. Hope you enjoy the cider.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Sean_F said:

Jobabob said:

Patrick said:

Jobabob said:

Scott_P said:

taffys said:

The latest remainer condescension, that the plebs will flock back to remain when their beer and bingo becomes more expensive, is perhaps the most nauseating.

What happens if public opinion moves decisively to remaining before we invoke Article 50? It could happen.
    This conveniently ignores the number of regretful Remain voters - of whom I have met many. I suspect their number now exceeds the regretful leavers.
    PB Leaver anecdote probably called the result more accurately than the polling did.
    And the 2015 election too, certainly as regards the LibDem obliteration and the way that Labour being in the SNP's pocket was playing on the doorsteps.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Scott_P said:

taffys said:

I actually think another vote is a growing possibility, and the majority of the public would be relaxed about it. The Leave movement is looking a lot uglier since nice Mr Gove and Boris were fronting it - Farage is now Trump's court jester, May is in thrall to the hard-right and an impression of nastiness and incompetence abounds. With hindsight, many Leavers will conclude that the whole caper just wasn't worth the bother.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    philiph said:

Only a deaf idealist with no understanding of life would imagine that either side was offering a solution that would be recognisable as the result of negotiations.

If the usual EU approach is any guide there will be a lot of bluster, a last minute deal, and then both sides will claim victory. But nobody is going to get everything they want.

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    PlatoSaid said:

It's a great line

BBC Radio 4 Today
    "A machine-washable politician who’s come out of some Tupperware catalogue" - that's Jeremy Paxman's verdict on Hillary Clinton. #r4today https://t.co/3NZeaQ20o4

And your opinion of his opinion of Trump?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    Jobabob said:

Patrick said:

Jobabob said:

Patrick said:

Jobabob said:

Scott_P said:

taffys said:

Do we have any regretful remainer polls? Or 'if we re-ran the referendum today' polls?
    I am just referring to the hard data ScottP posted earlier from the British Election Survey. You are referring to chats you had with your friends.
    As always with the polling, one has to try and compare like with like. The last BES survey prior to the vote had Remain ahead by 43/40%, slightly overstating Remain's position, and understating Leave's.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,099
    taffys said:

''But as I've said before, a solution that leaves Britain paying into the EU, subject to a European court and European directives and retaining free movement of people is not going to look much like Brexit to an awful lot of people. ''

I have a feeling that what May is now thinking about is essentially a massive bribe to allow us full independence.

It wouldn't surprise me if we paid more, perhaps quite substantially more, to get a tailor made solution in return.

I think that is the most likely outcome: remain in the Single Market, no ECJ/EHCR on domestic law, substantial effective immigration control.

Large bill.
  • Options

taffys said:

"We have to hard Brexit, because Remain peddled the worst case of a hard Brexit in warning of the dangers". Errr, no

Does that mean the remain case now appears to be this...?

When we said leave meant leaving the single market, we were lying. Or...er...you didn;t believe us. Or you were too stupid to understand. Or you had no idea what you were doing.

So there is no mandate to leave the single market.

There is also no mandate not to leave the Single Market.
    Well, there's the Conservative Party manifesto.
    Citation?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    The best thing Jez could do is get the PM to back the chancellor on Wednesday, he's too stupid to do it though. How many times did Dave force Ed (and the opposite on a few occasions) into it and keep the person safe.

I think we need to get rid of Fox and Davis. Sadly only one at time will be possible. Davis seems like he can't be convinced to toe any kind of line.
  • Options
    What will Jeremy Corbyn say about this

The bank accounts of Russia Today, the country's state broadcaster, have been blocked in Britain, according to its editor-in-chief.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/17/russia-today-bank-accounts-frozen-in-uk-claims-editor-in-chief/
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

I think that is the most likely outcome: remain in the Single Market, no ECJ/EHCR on domestic law, substantial effective immigration control.

Large bill.
    Yes, out of the customs union as well for good measure.
  • Options
    I don't want to give PB Trumpers any ideas, but..

https://twitter.com/stormbeard/status/787914664227332096
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    MaxPB said:

The best thing Jez could do is get the PM to back the chancellor on Wednesday, he's too stupid to do it though. How many times did Dave force Ed (and the opposite on a few occasions) into it and keep the person safe.

I think we need to get rid of Fox and Davis. Sadly only one at time will be possible. Davis seems like he can't be convinced to toe any kind of line.

And Fox (who shouldn't be there in my opinion) would never toe a line that you wanted to be close to. I think for me Fox was the worst of all her appointments.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953
    philiph said:

rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

''How short your memory is. There is no mandate for a Hard Brexit.''

There is a great video of Andrew Neil tearing a tory MP a new one for peddling precisely this fantasy. The remain campaign itself shouted from the rooftops with the government machine behind it that leaving the EU meant leaving the single market.

Voters were perfectly aware of the implications.

So wait, we should have listened to the Remain campaign for what happened post Brexit?
    Not the Conservative manifesto from 2015?
    Nor Daniel Hannan who said a narrow vote to Leave was not a vote for a large change in relationship?

I campaigned tirelessly on here before the referendum to include a supplementary question because I feared exactly this issue.

What is the mandate for the government, other than to leave the EU. There is is no explicit backing for what Leave is. And that's why I believe there should be a General Election sooner rather than later.

I would suggest the mandate for the Government is to negotiate the best terms they can for the UK to exit the EU. It is not in the gift of the UK (or EU) to dictate or impose the entirety of those terms, that is the purpose of the negotiation.

I find it an untenable belief that the majority of voters on both sides of the referendum did not understand this simple truth. The possibilities of economic disaster were adequately voiced by remain, as were the possibilities of the advantages of sovereignty, border control and economic freedom by leave.

Only a deaf idealist with no understanding of life would imagine that either side was offering a solution that would be recognisable as the result of negotiations.
    Exactly.

We all voted the way we did for different reasons, but once we leave the EU it will be up to successive elected British governments to deal with our neighbours according to their wishes.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,512
    MaxPB said:

Best for whom? For pure political self-interest Mr C would be better off allowing the headbangers continue to rush towards the cliff
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Large Bill''

I think that actually would encounter surprising little opposition.

People understand that if you want an a la carte meal, you pay a la carte prices.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Large bill.

So basically the sort of renegotiation Cameron talked about back in 2015?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    PlatoSaid said:

It's a great line

BBC Radio 4 Today
    "A machine-washable politician who’s come out of some Tupperware catalogue" - that's Jeremy Paxman's verdict on Hillary Clinton. #r4today https://t.co/3NZeaQ20o4

It is a terrible line. Hillary is a machine politician, in hock to Wall Street, and a lousy campaigner, but Paxman's description tells us absolutely nothing about her. What is it even supposed to mean? Does Tupperware mean she is plastic? But then machine-washable implies fabric or clothing. Paxo's phoning it in.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

PlatoSaid said:

It's a great line

BBC Radio 4 Today

And your opinion of his opinion of Trump?
    About right too - I'm not a fan of his. I do think he's saying the unsayable a la Farage - and agree with that.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Jobabob said:

Patrick said:

Jobabob said:

Scott_P said:

taffys said:

We have had this before: that was obviously a false dichotomy even when tim coined it, and that was before GE15 and EUref16.

And this poll is nonsense, to quote myself from earlier this morning: You regret things for leading to undesirable consequences. A remainer who is now reconciled to leave wouldn't regret his own vote for remain (because it did no harm), and a remainer who remains a remainer wouldn't either, because he did his best with it. He might regret not having done enough in other ways (donating to the Remain cause, canvassing, rigging the vote, ranting on PB etc) but that is not the question asked. So, either stupid question, or question inspired by malice to produce skewed result
  • Options

The bank accounts of Russia Today, the country's state broadcaster, have been blocked in Britain, according to its editor-in-chief.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/17/russia-today-bank-accounts-frozen-in-uk-claims-editor-in-chief/

Never mind Corbyn, what will the Trumpers say? RT supports the Donald.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Citation?

Page 72

We are clear about what we want from Europe. We say: yes to the Single Market. Yes to turbo- charging free trade. Yes to working together where we are stronger together than alone.

Page 73

We benefit from the Single Market and do not want to stand in the way of the Eurozone resolving its difficulties. Indeed, given the trade between Britain and the Eurozone countries we want to see these economies returning to growth. But we will not let the integration of the Eurozone jeopardise the integrity of the Single Market or in any way disadvantage the UK.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

Best for whom? For pure political self-interest Mr C would be better off allowing the headbangers continue to rush towards the cliff
    Well if he forces the PM to back the chancellor it will cause the headbangers to up the ante and look for a resolution, "back us or sack us" or something along those lines. It would re-expose Con splits on Europe (something that should have been settled by now) and possibly tear the party in half with Davis, JRM, Fox and Redwood on one side vs Hammond and the rest of the Cabinet on the other.
  • Options
    Something big is happening in Iraq - army moving in to take Mosul from ISIS.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/17/bloody-battle-to-retake-mosul-begins-as-iraqi-forces-move-to-wip2/
  • Options
    Donald Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner has informally approached one of the media industry’s top dealmakers about the prospect of setting up a Trump television network after the presidential election in November.

https://www.ft.com/content/7dc39954-940e-11e6-a1dc-bdf38d484582
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,083
    edited October 2016

You be careful in the Canterbury area, Mr. Cole. They are a funny lot over the border in Kent and can be dangerous if roused.

If ever you make it to Sussex, shout out in advance and I'll buy you a decent lunch. Hope you enjoy the cider.

Thanks. My son lives in Kent and his son, born in Pembury, is/will be in a year or two either a Kentish Man or a Man of Kent. Can never recall which is which.
  • Options

Where is all this going? It is one thing for the USA to wind up the Russians but why are we taking the lead, first with Boris's rent-a-mob calls and now this? What happens if Putin organises official KGB demos outside our embassy or obstructs British companies in Moscow?
  • Options
    Yup the mandateless PM has lost control and is egregiously unqualified to be PM

@tnewtondunn: On Cabinet's Brexit rows, No10 insists PM "happy for there to be a debate before a decision is reached". But the look is she's lost control.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

That's a very comprehensive wiki page, with all the pros and cons of the various sites proposed over the years.

After doing nothing but talk about it for a couple of decades, the cheapest, least objectionable way forward is to expand the existing airport at LHR - so everyone needs to stop talking and JFDI.

Cheapest and least objectionable for whom, Mr. Pit? Not the taxpayers or the users of the M25, that's for sure. The associated infrastructure costs, which fall on the public purse, are estimated at, from memory, about three times those of putting in a second runway at Gatwick.
    Once work starts the M25, already subject to severe overload and pretty much permanent long delays is going to grind to a freaking halt. The knock on costs from non airport related businesses of having the motorway around the West side of London effective unusable for years are going to be huge.
    But no-one wants two hubs. A second and third runway at Gatwick would need to be accompanied by (as a minimum):
    Widening the whole southern section of the M25 between the A3 and Dartford.
    Widening the M23 and some sort of an alternative route south of the M25 to the airport, so that one accident on the motorway can't shut the airport for hours and as an alternative route for local traffic.
    Improvement of rail links north to Croydon and Clapham, so that the 'express' can run more frequently than every half an hour.
    Electrification and dualling of the rail line to Reading (which goes through Guildford and aload of small towns). Possibly a spur around Farnborough to connect with the Basingstoke-Woking line.

Of course, one new runway and an airside Hyperloop or Maglev between LHR and LGW might also work ;)
    Two hubs won't work, I agree. However, the cost of the Heathrow expansion is not going to be cheap, in fact it is going to massive and most of it will be hidden because it will be carried by firms who have nothing to do with the airport but who will suffer from the crippling of the West of London motorway networks, which are already overloaded.

I might be an old heretic but I do question the whole hub and spoke airline model. Boeing has bet the farm on point to point and I rather think I agree with their judgement.
  • Options
    I do wonder what some are thinking here. Paying well known YouTube stars to endorse Hillary and not thinking it would leak?

https://youtu.be/efITznpKNIA
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051

Corbyn's equivocation of the US to Russia last week went under the radar; it is like the pbERs saying Trump and Clinton are as bad as each other.

Corbyn...the Chancey Gardner of lefty politics.
  • Options

@PolhomeEditor: No 10: "The Prime Minister has full confidence in the Chancellor and the work he is doing." Oh dear.

That's quite humiliating for Mr Hammond - everyone knows that those sort of statements are code for 'he's on probation'. Surely Fox will be measuring up the curtains for Number 11. His appointment would have some appeal - those smouldering looks, darling of the Daily Express, mysterious hints of an early life dating pop starlets. He could give Hard Brexit the kind of sexiness it urgently needs!
  • Options

@tnewtondunn: On Cabinet's Brexit rows, No10 insists PM "happy for there to be a debate before a decision is reached". But the look is she's lost control.

How long before Osborne returns to "get a grip" ?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,456
    PlatoSaid said:

Donald Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner has informally approached one of the media industry’s top dealmakers about the prospect of setting up a Trump television network after the presidential election in November.

I'm shocked I tell you, shocked...
  • Options

I'm shocked I tell you, shocked...

Preparing for defeat...
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

That's a very comprehensive wiki page, with all the pros and cons of the various sites proposed over the years.

After doing nothing but talk about it for a couple of decades, the cheapest, least objectionable way forward is to expand the existing airport at LHR - so everyone needs to stop talking and JFDI.

Cheapest and least objectionable for whom, Mr. Pit? Not the taxpayers or the users of the M25, that's for sure. The associated infrastructure costs, which fall on the public purse, are estimated at, from memory, about three times those of putting in a second runway at Gatwick.
    Once work starts the M25, already subject to severe overload and pretty much permanent long delays is going to grind to a freaking halt. The knock on costs from non airport related businesses of having the motorway around the West side of London effective unusable for years are going to be huge.
    But no-one wants two hubs. A second and third runway at Gatwick would need to be accompanied by (as a minimum):
    Widening the whole southern section of the M25 between the A3 and Dartford.
    Widening the M23 and some sort of an alternative route south of the M25 to the airport, so that one accident on the motorway can't shut the airport for hours and as an alternative route for local traffic.
    Improvement of rail links north to Croydon and Clapham, so that the 'express' can run more frequently than every half an hour.
    Electrification and dualling of the rail line to Reading (which goes through Guildford and aload of small towns). Possibly a spur around Farnborough to connect with the Basingstoke-Woking line.

Of course, one new runway and an airside Hyperloop or Maglev between LHR and LGW might also work ;)
    Two hubs won't work, I agree. However, the cost of the Heathrow expansion is not going to be cheap, in fact it is going to massive and most of it will be hidden because it will be carried by firms who have nothing to do with the airport but who will suffer from the crippling of the West of London motorway networks, which are already overloaded.

I might be an old heretic but I do question the whole hub and spoke airline model. Boeing has bet the farm on point to point and I rather think I agree with their judgement.
    Just flatten Dorking and stick a four-lane motorway from Wisley into the west side of Gatwick Airport?
  • Options

@PolhomeEditor: No 10: "The Prime Minister has full confidence in the Chancellor and the work he is doing." Oh dear.

That's quite humiliating for Mr Hammond - everyone knows that those sort of statements are code for 'he's on probation'. Surely Fox will be measuring up the curtains for Number 11. His appointment would have some appeal - those smouldering looks, darling of the Daily Express, mysterious hints of an early life dating pop starlets. He could give Hard Brexit the kind of sexiness it urgently needs!
    Is there a box room at no.11 for Mr Werrity?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Citation?

Page 72

We are clear about what we want from Europe. We say: yes to the Single Market. Yes to turbo- charging free trade. Yes to working together where we are stronger together than alone.

Page 73

We benefit from the Single Market and do not want to stand in the way of the Eurozone resolving its difficulties. Indeed, given the trade between Britain and the Eurozone countries we want to see these economies returning to growth. But we will not let the integration of the Eurozone jeopardise the integrity of the Single Market or in any way disadvantage the UK.
    That was all in the context of being members of the EU. The referendum has overriden that in the same way as defeat at the 2015 election is a legitimate reason for Labour and the Lib Dems to revise their own policies.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    PlatoSaid said:

I do wonder what some are thinking here. Paying well known YouTube stars to endorse Hillary and not thinking it would leak?

How do we know you're not a paid for Putin hack?
  • Options

WTF is going on here?

Are some people really wanting to see a party split (with the potential of Corbyn getting in) over negotiations that haven't even started yet. Bonkers!
  • Options

Fox as CoE? Have you started on the pre-lunch sherry a little early this morning?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    PlatoSaid said:

I note earlier that you said that you do not care for Trump. Why then are you obsessively finding any links, anything from any dark undergrowth of the Internet that presents Hillary in a bad light.

Jeez...give her a break, at least for a day, or maybe just a morning. She used her home computer to do her emails, get over it. Her state department didn't respond in time for Benghazi....shit happens when you manage a department as large as that carrying as many risks. She stood by her cheating husband....alot of women do. Nobody is perfect.

Do I see anyone here posting endless links about Trump? Nope. And god knows the stuff you could find on him.
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    Sandpit said:

WTF is going on here?

Are some people really wanting to see a party split (with the potential of Corbyn getting in) over negotiations that haven't even started yet. Bonkers!
    Journalists would certainly like it. Sells newspapers.
  • Options

I usually find your comments highly illuminating TSE, but the idea that May is a mandateless PM is rubbish. Under the system of government we have she is perfectly entitled to be where she is.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

WTF is going on here?

As someone put it to me at conference 'in hindsight, project fear were low balling the risks of Brexit'
  • Options

That was all in the context of being members of the EU. The referendum has overriden that in the same way as defeat at the 2015 election is a legitimate reason for Labour and the Lib Dems to revise their own policies.

No

The question was about mandate.

Is there a mandate for staying in? Yes, because the Tories won a majority on a manifesto that included a commitment to stay in (not predicated on the result of the referendum)

Labour and the Lib Dems have no mandate for their policies, so are free to revise them
  • Options

I usually find your comments highly illuminating TSE, but the idea that May is a mandateless PM is rubbish. Under the system of government we have she is perfectly entitled to be where she is.
    She lacks a mandate to what she is planning to do, cf grammar schools as the prime example
  • Options

Sandpit said:

WTF is going on here?

As someone put it to me at conference 'in hindsight, project fear were low balling the risks of Brexit'
    Would that someone have been George Osborne? Those who love the EU and don't want our own parliament to be sovereign don't need listening to, they need a smack in the nads.
  • Options
    BBC

The UK has frozen all bank accounts owned by Russia's state-run broadcaster, Russia Today (RT), its editor-in-chief has claimed.

Margarita Simonyan tweeted: "They've closed our accounts in Britain. All our accounts. 'The decision is not subject to review.' Praise be to freedom of speech!"

RT has previously been sanctioned by Ofcom for biased reporting on the conflicts in Ukraine and Syria.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793

Meanwhile Osborndyas sits on the back benches....plotting, oh well, at least he always had the booing at the Olympics - and to think - without so much austerity the result might have gone the other way!

Ladies & Gentlemen - the poshboy who gave us BREXIT is here to rescue us from BREXIT.....
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157

PlatoSaid said:

It's a great line

BBC Radio 4 Today

It is a terrible line. Hillary is a machine politician, in hock to Wall Street, and a lousy campaigner, but Paxman's description tells us absolutely nothing about her. What is it even supposed to mean? Does Tupperware mean she is plastic? But then machine-washable implies fabric or clothing. Paxo's phoning it in.
    More to the point, how do you wash all the other politicians? Presumably by hand? Can you put them in with everything else or do their colours run?
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Sandpit said:

WTF is going on here?

Would that someone have been George Osborne? Those who love the EU and don't want our own parliament to be sovereign don't need listening to, they need a smack in the nads.
    No it was a leaver, who wants the EEA/remain part of the single market Brexit
  • Options
    glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Large bill.

without the influence and votes
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    edited October 2016

Yep, lost control - with 14% lead in the polls.

• Options
    The thing Mcavity May is finding out is, you can hide during a referendum as Home Secretary but you can never hide as Prime Minister.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Large bill.

without the influence and votes
    Perhaps, but the sort of thing that might well have won it for Remain if a) Dave was as good as thought he was, and b) Dave had listened to advice and not rushed.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

It's a great line

BBC Radio 4 Today

More to the point, how do you wash all the other politicians? Presumably by hand? Can you put them in with everything else or do their colours run?
    Yes, Paxo sucks. OTOH "a sadistic nurse in a mental hospital" was utter genius. I wonder what happened to the bloke who coined that.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,729
    PlatoSaid said:

Worked for Berlusconi.
  • Options

She lacks a mandate to what she is planning to do, cf grammar schools as the prime example
    I have to agree with this, the 2015 manifesto, which she campaigned on, made a firm commitment to the single market. If she wants to leave the single market then she will have to go to the public and get a mandate to do so.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Daily Mail
    German schools go into lockdown and are surrounded by armed police following warning of 'mass shootings' https://t.co/OHpi90lVpV https://t.co/utNul5sfr8

There's been a series of explosions at BASF plant too - no idea if connected.

Explosion at chemical plant in Germany: Several missing https://t.co/pUG91epFKf
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Even Gordon Brown had a similar leads during his honeymoon
  • Options

Sorry, mate, but you are starting to sound hysterical. A green paper is a discussion document, not a policy and certainly not a bill. As for TM not being elected, as has been pointed out on here umpteen times, no PM is elected to that office by the public and that has always been the case.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

People vote for individual candidates who stand on a collectively-agreed manifesto. The ones that win get to choose who leads the job of implementing the manifesto (skipping over the small detail of the voting system delivering illegitimate majority power).

Therefore - as you say - the mandate question is not the identity of the leader, but whether s/he intends to implement the same manifesto, or a new one
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    Patrick said:

Sandpit said:

WTF is going on here?

Cameron's downfall was a tragedy. But he was the sole author of it. Personally I think he could have toughed it out if he had really wanted to. Mrs May was the only one left standing at the end of the referendum debacle. All sane Tories need to back her and stop making comments like 'mandateless'.
  • Options

https://constitution-unit.com/2016/07/13/will-theresa-may-call-an-early-general-election-and-would-it-resolve-things-if-she-did/

• Options
    Mortimer said:

Poll leads can evaporate in days.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Worked for Berlusconi.
    A reality TV thing like the Kardashians, Osbornes, etc about the Trumps would be horribly watchable.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

Patrick said:

Sandpit said:

WTF is going on here?

Cameron's downfall was a tragedy. But he was the sole author of it. Personally I think he could have toughed it out if he had really wanted to. Mrs May was the only one left standing at the end of the referendum debacle. All sane Tories need to back her and stop making comments like 'mandateless'.
    Some people seem to have developed a political variant of PTSD over the Referendum result.
  • Options

Sorry, mate, but you are starting to sound hysterical. A green paper is a discussion document, not a policy and certainly not a bill. As for TM not being elected, as has been pointed out on here umpteen times, no PM is elected to that office by the public and that has always been the case.
    Still grieving....lots of entitled poshboys saw their dreams of power turn to dust.....be gentle.....
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

In theory. Against Corbyn, however...
  • Options

"It is often argued by the proponents of executive supremacy that a government effectively enjoys a direct democratic mandate because most voters in general elections believe they are voting for a party manifesto and a prime minister at the same time as selecting a constituency MP. Political history suggests that this argument is a very weak one.

Two of the last four prime ministers were installed by their parties between general elections, and this has always been an entirely normal route to No 10. Voters in 2010 did not choose to have a Consevative/LibDem coalition government (under the current electoral system there is no mechanism which would have allowed them to express such a preference). Many of the policies of the present government were foreshadowed in the election manifesto of only one of the coalition partners, and some policies were in neither. The coalition’s policy platform is the coalition agreement, negotiated by the party leaders after the 2010 election and never endorsed by the electorate.

If democratic legitimacy implies substantial popular endorsement, then the democratic mandate of recent British governments rests on weak foundations."

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/elective-dictatorship-democratic-mandate/
  • Options

Sandpit said:

WTF is going on here?

So they'd rather double down on the hyperbole, as opposed to trying their best to implement the will of the people?

The PM could be damn close to calling an election if the EU-loving 'new bastards' don't shut up.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    MaxPB said:

Like! To lose Hammond [or Carney for that matter] at the current time would be an act of extraordinary self-harm. I speak as someone who voted remain, but just want now as soooth a Brexit as is practicable.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

Sandpit said:

WTF is going on here?

Theresa May's real fault, for you, is that she isn't George Osborne.
  • Options

The 2015 manifesto made a commitment to the single market (not the EU). I think she will have to get a mandate if she intends to take the UK out of the single market. I think she'd be able to get one, but at the expense of giving the Lib Dems an easy ride to 30-40 seats.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I have to agree with this, the 2015 manifesto, which she campaigned on, made a firm commitment to the single market. If she wants to leave the single market then she will have to go to the public and get a mandate to do so.
    Out of genuine interest what would be the mechanism for this in the context of the fixed term parliaments act? If the PM triggers A50 before March as promised and the EU decide it's a hard Brexit then where next? The Brexit vote requires an election really but the FTPA prevents one. Bit of a constitutional Catch-22 no? Vote of no confidence is the way through?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

In theory. Against Corbyn, however...
    Well I suppose the oil tanker drivers could go on strike. That was the only thing that dented Blair's lead against weak opposition.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Even Gordon Brown had a similar leads during his honeymoon
    I wrote a resignation letter during the referendum. I would have sent it had Cameron stayed. 'Little Englander' was the last straw.

May has made the party mainstream and proud again. And she isn't facing a rejuvenated opposition. Shes facing the 70s tendency.
  • Options
    Dithering? Cabinet Government?

Theresa May is to allow a short pause on whether to give the go-ahead to a new runway at Heathrow so that Cabinet ministers can express their views.
    Sources in Whitehall told the BBC that expansion at Heathrow is the clear front runner.
    However, the prime minister has made it clear she wants to hear the wide-ranging opinions of colleagues.
    The BBC has been told the Cabinet will discuss the issue tomorrow but no final decision is expected.
    It will then be left to the Economic Affairs (Transport) sub-committee, chaired by Mrs May, to make the final choice on whether to back Heathrow or Gatwick.
    One option being looked at is for that committee to meet next Tuesday, 25 October, with an announcement on the same day.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37678115
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

'Little Englander' was the last straw.

Except the quote was Farage's Little Englanders.

And entirely accurate
  • Options
    Patrick said:

MaxPB said:

Out of genuine interest what would be the mechanism for this in the context of the fixed term parliaments act? If the PM triggers A50 before March as promised and the EU decide it's a hard Brexit then where next? The Brexit vote requires an election really but the FTPA prevents one. Bit of a constitutional Catch-22 no? Vote of no confidence is the way through?
    Yes, no confidence and then the waiting period I think. Or repeal the FTPA, the government has a majority.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

PlatoSaid said:

Worked for Berlusconi.
    A reality TV thing like the Kardashians, Osbornes, etc about the Trumps would be horribly watchable.
    Fine, as long as he's well away from the White House.
  • Options

Exactly it's not as if she has unilaterally announced this is happening and then put it to an immediate three line whip. She is developing a green paper which will be followed by a white paper before a bill if any ever arrives. That is the full and proper Parliamentary process.

MPs are elected for five year terms and not just elected to implement policies that were in the manifesto every five years, unless a policy is directly contradicting the manifesto (which grammar schools does not) then it is perfectly legitimate to develop a policy along those lines if she can get it through Parliament. Every government always develops policies that were not in the manifesto, I'm sure I could find many by Osborne and Cameron that were not in their manifesto.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

WTF is going on here?

So they'd rather double down on the hyperbole, as opposed to trying their best to implement the will of the people?

The PM could be damn close to calling an election if the EU-loving 'new bastards' don't shut up.
    Les Bastards are pushing it way too far. As with before the election orange-booker tendency 'strategy' (i.e. wailing) is endangering the party.
  • Options
    The most outrageous, egregious and downright traitorous unmandated political act in modern times was surely Gordo sneaking off behind closed doors to ratify Lisbon. What a complete 'see you next Thursday'.
  • Options

Theresa May is to allow a short pause on whether to give the go-ahead to a new runway at Heathrow so that Cabinet ministers can express their views.
    Sources in Whitehall told the BBC that expansion at Heathrow is the clear front runner.
    However, the prime minister has made it clear she wants to hear the wide-ranging opinions of colleagues.
    The BBC has been told the Cabinet will discuss the issue tomorrow but no final decision is expected.
    It will then be left to the Economic Affairs (Transport) sub-committee, chaired by Mrs May, to make the final choice on whether to back Heathrow or Gatwick.
    One option being looked at is for that committee to meet next Tuesday, 25 October, with an announcement on the same day.

Oh dear. The worst kind of dithering. The whole industry has been briefed that Heathrow has got the go ahead. Just announce it and be damned. A u turn now would make the nation into a laughing stock.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Daily Mail
    German schools go into lockdown and are surrounded by armed police following warning of 'mass shootings' https://t.co/OHpi90lVpV https://t.co/utNul5sfr8

There's been a series of explosions at BASF plant too - no idea if connected.

Explosion at chemical plant in Germany: Several missing https://t.co/pUG91epFKf

School threats were a hoax according to German police, according to Reuters.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-security-idUSKBN12H0UI
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Patrick said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, no confidence and then the waiting period I think. Or repeal the FTPA, the government has a majority.
    Just a simple single line vote with a two-thirds majority in the Commons voting for an early election on a specified date is all that is required. No wait, no Lords.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

WTF is going on here?

That's the irony, Brexit and Mrs May have turned some Leavers into supporters of the EU.
  • Options

She certainly likes her pauses.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,113
    Sandpit said:

WTF is going on here?

Leavers were threatening splits in the party for decades, with two MPs and numerous others moving over to UKIP.

I'm not sure Tory leavers can start calling for party unity now.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Oh dear. The worst kind of dithering. The whole industry has been briefed that Heathrow has got the go ahead. Just announce it and be damned. A u turn now would make the nation into a laughing stock.

Delaying the announcement until after the Witney by-election.

Which is interesting...
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Patrick said:

MaxPB said:

Just a simple single line vote with a two-thirds majority in the Commons voting for an early election on a specified date is all that is required. No wait, no Lords.
    She'd need Labour MPs. A vote of no confidence has a better chance of success than dissolution.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

WTF is going on here?

Theresa May's real fault, for you, is that she isn't George Osborne.
    Who we now know was probably the true author of BREXIT.....funny old world.....
This discussion has been closed.