Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Get ready for another CON by-election defence if the Heathrow

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited October 2016

I see the latest ABC News/Washington Post poll has Trump only 4 points behind Hilary.

Dont put the popcorn away yet folks!

Obama beat Romney by 3.9%
    Do you not think it odd that despite everything he ia no further behind than romney was?
    The polling average had Obama winning by 0.7, so she's ahead in the polls by a lot.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    DavidL said:

Chris Cillizza notes the collapse of the last vestiges of coherence in the Trump campaign: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/an-unshackled-trump-an-unmoored-campaign-lurching-to-the-finish-line/2016/10/16/16e09b4c-93aa-11e6-ae9d-0030ac1899cd_story.html

The relatively brief attempt at disciplining and professionalising Trump's campaign seems to have been abandoned. This is a disaster for the Republicans who must seriously fear the down ticket consequences.

The Fix has also abandoned any attempt to be objective - he's got so OTT, I've unfollowed him on Twitter - I used to like his stuff too. This election is like Brexit with knobs on.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,512
    PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

Chris Cillizza notes the collapse of the last vestiges of coherence in the Trump campaign: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/an-unshackled-trump-an-unmoored-campaign-lurching-to-the-finish-line/2016/10/16/16e09b4c-93aa-11e6-ae9d-0030ac1899cd_story.html

The relatively brief attempt at disciplining and professionalising Trump's campaign seems to have been abandoned. This is a disaster for the Republicans who must seriously fear the down ticket consequences.

The Fix has also abandoned any attempt to be objective - he's got so OTT, I've unfollowed him on Twitter - I used to like his stuff too. This election is like Brexit with knobs on.
    BREAKING.....
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157

I see the latest ABC News/Washington Post poll has Trump only 4 points behind Hilary.

Do you not think it odd that despite everything he ia no further behind than romney was?
    Oh, but he is. You highlighted the closet poll - and he still loses. Other polls have Clinton 11 points ahead.
    closest !
    Except the one just posted that puts Trump ahead!.

Are us polls normally this variable. Clinton anything from landslide to losing?
    Pretty much: "Losing" is Rasmussen which is usually a fair few points more Republican than the average, and Gallup was giving Romney quite strong numbers as well, so much so that they subsequently gave up.

They seem to coverge a bit when they get to the final polls before the election.
  • Options
    And they paid $225k for each of these

Read the speeches Hillary Clinton wanted kept secret, part one

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2604656/
  • Options
    22 days out from the election Obama was leading the RCP polling average by 0.1%
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Of all the uncertainly in the US election, the one sure thing is that the need for popcorn is far from over!
    The popcorn is fixed by a global conspiracy. they're using chemtrails.
    If the popcorn is imported this election is going to cost the country dearly, whatever the result
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,456
    PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

No it's not.
  • Options

Oh, but he is. You highlighted the closet poll - and he still loses. Other polls have Clinton 11 points ahead.
    closest !

Pretty much: "Losing" is Rasmussen which is usually a fair few points more Republican than the average, and Gallup was giving Romney quite strong numbers as well, so much so that they subsequently gave up.

They seem to coverge a bit when they get to the final polls before the election.
    Ironically Gallup partly messed up because they under weighted demographic sub groups - the opposite problem to the LA Times tracker.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

How do you measure airport capacity?

I take it the Heathrow puffers here know that R3 would cost twice as much as Gatwick R2?

Measurement of airport capacity - without getting more technical than is appropriate here, there are generally thought to be six measures of airport capacity (surface access capacity, terminal capacity, runway capacity, airspace capacity, apron capacity and regulatory capacity). The example of Heathrow is useful in illustrating the difference between some of these. Until T5 opened, it was terminal-capacity constrained - even with a third runway, the existing terminals couldn't handle more passengers. Now, with the 480k ATM limit, it is regulatory constrained. If that is removed, it will be runway capacity constrained. So the limit will have to be raised as part of any R3 package.

Cost - My estimate is that R3 would cost £24 billion or so and G2 around £8 billion.

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

But you unquestionably believe random websites that post lies about Clinton's e-mails?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Imagine if Biden was the Dem candidate. It would be 15 points or more. He must be rueing not running now.
    Maybe not. Remember Biden has twice run for president and twice flopped, building a reputation for gaffes that would offset Trump's.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

And they paid $225k for each of these

Read the speeches Hillary Clinton wanted kept secret, part one

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2604656/

To save time, which one is going to blow the election and hand the White House to Trump?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,445

Can someone explain Mr Clegg's thinking - how export tariffs affect domestic prices - or indeed import prices?

The price of chocolate, cheese and wine will increase sharply if Britain heads towards a so-called hard Brexit, according to Nick Clegg.

Speaking ahead of a Liberal Democrats food and drink Brexit impact report, he warned that Britain could only avoid tariffs on beef exports of 59%, chocolate at 38%, cheese at 40% and wine at 14%, with a soft Brexit.

http://news.sky.com/story/nick-clegg-chocolate-cheese-and-wine-to-be-hit-by-hard-brexit-10620761

Of course, Tusk has already explained that the alternative to 'Hard Brexit' is 'No Brexit'.....which evidently is what Mr Clegg is after.....

so we will save a fortune on obesity as we buy less of out favourite treats
    Where are Terry's Chocolate Oranges made?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited October 2016

The LA tracker is 538 adjusted to +5 points to Clinton. The only other poll with Trump ahead is Rasmussen (Chortle .. :smile: ) whose last offering had Trump on 24% of the black vote .... mega chortle .. :smiley: )

Presently I'd assess Clinton ahead +6/7 with a lead in the EC of 333/170 with Arizona, Iowa and Ohio too close to call.

http://www.270towin.com/maps/W3mXm
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,416
    PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

I don't detect any great enthusiasm for Hilary. I just think Cillizza sees politics as a business and a skill and Trump is just not playing the game. No doubt that is a major part of his attraction for some but the rules of that game were determined by what works, what wins and what is a useful way of spending your energy in the run up to the election. Trump just doesn't get it and he will pay the price.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

I take it the Heathrow puffers here know that R3 would cost twice as much as Gatwick R2?

Measurement of airport capacity - without getting more technical than is appropriate here, there are generally thought to be six measures of airport capacity (surface access capacity, terminal capacity, runway capacity, airspace capacity, apron capacity and regulatory capacity). The example of Heathrow is useful in illustrating the difference between some of these. Until T5 opened, it was terminal-capacity constrained - even with a third runway, the existing terminals couldn't handle more passengers. Now, with the 480k ATM limit, it is regulatory constrained. If that is removed, it will be runway capacity constrained. So the limit will have to be raised as part of any R3 package.

Cost - My estimate is that R3 would cost £24 billion or so and G2 around £8 billion.

No doubt someone will come along before long to explain why it would be better to explain that£16b on Heathrow rather than the NHS.

• Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    JackW said:

The LA tracker is 538 adjusted to +5 points to Clinton. The only other poll with Trump ahead is Rasmussen (Chortle .. :smile: ) whose last offering had Trump on 24% of the black vote .... mega chortle .. :smiley: )

Presently I'd assess Clinton ahead +6/7 with a lead in the EC of 333/170 with Arizona, Iowa and Ohio too close to call.

Jackw, I realise you were mostly indisposed prior to the EU referendum, but did you have a whiff of the result before the event? You don't detect any similar scent of an upset in the US?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

IanB2 said:

On topic - so there's a by-election; Zak stands as an anti-runway Indendent, the LibDems stand as anti-runway LibDems, what does the Conservative Party do? They can hardly stand down and give the anti-runway side a free pass, surely?

Indeed. That would be a stupid policy to put to local voters. But if the natural answer is to nominate an anti-runway candidate for the Conservatives, the natural answer would be to nominate Zac.
    So the Tories don't run a candidate. Treat it like David Davis. Matter of conscience, made a pledge to the voters, great constituency MP, blah blah blah, can decide later in the Parliament whether to retake the whip, but better than a LibDem in Westminster, better than coming third. And he will sometimes vote with the Govt.

A test of May's pragmatic politics?
  • Options

JackW said:

Jackw, I realise you were mostly indisposed prior to the EU referendum, but did you have a whiff of the result before the event? You don't detect any similar scent of an upset in the US?
    PS trust you are hale and hearty these days, long may it continue
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,015

JackW said:

Are you suggesting JackW whiff his own ARSE? I didn't know that he was a contortionist.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793
    If Clegg is seriously suggesting that we should impose 59% import tariffs on Irish beef, I think the Irish might take a view on that:

This makes the UK the largest market for Irish beef, as it accounted for over 57% of Irish beef exports in 2015.

According to the AHDB, there are no other Member States for which the UK market is more important, nor are imports from the global market particularly significant either.

The Netherlands is the only significant supplier into the UK, but it represents less than 5% of beef and veal exports from the Netherlands.

While the numbers are much smaller, Ireland is now the largest market for UK beef exports, accounting for 37% of UK beef exports. In 2014, the UK exported over 112,000t of beef, less than half the volumes Ireland exported to the UK in the same year.

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/irish-beef-tops-uk-beef-imports-while-we-took-37-of-the-uks-beef-exports/#
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Fishing said:

No doubt someone will come along before long to explain why it would be better to explain that£16b on Heathrow rather than the NHS.

Simply put, it builds the economy, that is then better able to support the NHS for decades to come rather than a £16bn lump sum.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,729
    Why do Trumpers keep talking him up?
    On a betting site run from the UK it doesn't matter what we believe, we have no vote. Surely a focus on the facts to help us make betting choices would be better than emotional ramping or denigrating of either candidate.
    So Plato and Paul, give us a reason why Trump might win a particular State that we could consider when betting. He aint gonna win the White House.
  • Options
    Edit - Last post Missouri in Trump column

Clinton 323/180 Trump :

http://www.270towin.com/maps/XdNXp
  • Options

On a betting site run from the UK it doesn't matter what we believe, we have no vote. Surely a focus on the facts to help us make betting choices would be better than emotional ramping or denigrating of either candidate.
    So Plato and Paul, give us a reason why Trump might win a particular State that we could consider when betting. He aint gonna win the White House.

oi. Point of order. Im not a trumpster and Im not talking him up

harummpphhh
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Good morning, everyone.

Well, good for him. Promises should be kept where possible.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,416
    JackW said:

Edit - Last post Missouri in Trump column

Clinton 323/180 Trump :

http://www.270towin.com/maps/XdNXp

My guess at the moment is 352 for Hilary based upon her taking Ohio and Arizona but losing Iowa. I am struggling to see Trump do any better than this and it just might turn out worse.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    edited October 2016

IanB2 said:

On topic - so there's a by-election; Zak stands as an anti-runway Indendent, the LibDems stand as anti-runway LibDems, what does the Conservative Party do? They can hardly stand down and give the anti-runway side a free pass, surely?

Indeed. That would be a stupid policy to put to local voters. But if the natural answer is to nominate an anti-runway candidate for the Conservatives, the natural answer would be to nominate Zac.
    So the Tories don't run a candidate. Treat it like David Davis. Matter of conscience, made a pledge to the voters, great constituency MP, blah blah blah, can decide later in the Parliament whether to retake the whip, but better than a LibDem in Westminster, better than coming third. And he will sometimes vote with the Govt.

A test of May's pragmatic politics?
    Would be sensible.

Cameron deserves no plaudits for delaying the decision, should have been done 9th May 2015.
  • Options

Airport expansion is not financed by public expenditure, but by airline charges and retail revenues. In theory this will be the case for R3, though in practice the government may have to stick in a billion or two.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157

IanB2 said:

I assume the Tories would nominate Zac if he wanted their nomination.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    This should find some support on here...

https://twitter.com/cllrholliday/status/787207171335479296
  • Options

Fishing said:

Simply put, it builds the economy, that is then better able to support the NHS for decades to come rather than a £16bn lump sum.
    Would that also be true of cutting the NHS to build Heathrow's fourth, fifth and sixth runways? Of selling inner London's social housing to the Chinese?
  • Options
    edited October 2016

I was trending BREXIT before I had to cry off a month before the vote. That said I assess I would have been 52/48 Remain. So a miss there, although the trend line was clear. Essentially underestimated Labour LEAVE vote.

The US election is completely different. Vast amounts of data, including early voting returns. Clinton will win because she's not Trump. He's being hammered in the critical demographics of latino and women voters.

Thanks for your later post good wishes.

Could be better but still batting at the crease. The grim reaper had a decision reviewed and I was adjusted not out on "umpires call" .. :sunglasses:
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Only if punishment is being hanged, drawn, and quartered.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

I don't detect any great enthusiasm for Hilary. I just think Cillizza sees politics as a business and a skill and Trump is just not playing the game. No doubt that is a major part of his attraction for some but the rules of that game were determined by what works, what wins and what is a useful way of spending your energy in the run up to the election. Trump just doesn't get it and he will pay the price.
    I certainly don't give Trump any points for playing the game as was and he's clearly irked about sex allegations. He needs to stop talking about it.

There's so much wrong with this election, it's mindbending. Last night the GOP campaign office in Orange County was fire bombed and Nazis accusation graffiti sprayed on walls.

I said yesterday I was concerned about civil unrest whatever the outcome. It's already started.
  • Options
    JackW said:

I was trending BREXIT before I had to cry off a month before the vote. That said I assess I would have been 52/48 Remain. So a miss there, although the trend line was clear. Essentially underestimated Labour LEAVE vote.

The US election is completely different. Vast amounts of data, including early voting returns. Clinton will win because she's not Trump. He's being hammered in the critical demographics of latino and women voters.
    Thanks a lot. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    RobD said:

JackW said:

Are you suggesting JackW whiff his own ARSE? I didn't know that he was a contortionist.
    He is a man of many talents!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    There are a myriad of polls being posted on here,. Unless you are "in the know" it doesn't seem that one can draw any conclusions from them. Perhaps they need a statement as to whether they are good or bad, or some way of interpreting them.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,083
    Scott_P said:

What did I post yesterday about jackboots?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,729

harummpphhh
    Sorry I based it on your posts this morning:

"I see the latest ABC News/Washington Post poll has Trump only 4 points behind Hilary.

"Except the one just posted that puts Trump ahead!."

"Do you not think it odd that despite everything he ia no further behind than romney was?"
  • Options
    King Cole, and Mr. P, are there not also petitions for a second vote, for the Commons to vote down the result etc etc?

As was said many times in the debate, neither side has a monopoly on idiots.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Only if punishment is being hanged, drawn, and quartered.
    Unnecessary petition. It is already an offence as you allude to. Need a petition instead to reinstate the traditional sentence you refer to. Its the only language they understand
  • Options

Scott_P said:

And he is a councillor for an area that voted Remain. What a tw*t.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    http://www.conservativehome.com/thecolumnists/2016/10/nadhim-zahawi-the-claim-that-a-brexit-britain-will-be-a-racist-country-is-contemptible-and-im-living-proof-that-it-isnt-true.html

But when this reality started [to] perforate the self-satisfied bubble of disgust, those who had blown it up just called the move a U-turn and went on their way, ready to be righteous another day.
  • Options

There are a myriad of polls being posted on here,. Unless you are "in the know" it doesn't seem that one can draw any conclusions from them. Perhaps they need a statement as to whether they are good or bad, or some way of interpreting them.

Take a gander at 538. All polls are adjusted as required :

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/updates/#now
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    JackW said:

Thanks for your later post good wishes.

Could be better but still batting at the crease. The grim reaper had a decision reviewed and I was adjusted not out on "umpires call" .. :sunglasses:
    "Umpire's call" doesn't overturn a decision... :)
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

I think the "regret" wording kind-of nudges towards a "yes", because it encourages you to think of the downsides and/or the claims that turned out to be lies.

It's entirely misleading anyway.

Q. Do you regret those eight pints you drank last night ?
    A. Yes
    Q. Are you going to drink eight pints next Friday ?
    A. You bet!

Just because you regret something (ie. recognise the negative consequences) doesn't mean you wouldn't have done it different, or would do it any different next time.

• Options

harummpphhh

"I see the latest ABC News/Washington Post poll has Trump only 4 points behind Hilary.

"Do you not think it odd that despite everything he ia no further behind than romney was?"
    I am no fan of Hillary but dont think its over, although trump is clearly his own worst enem

I am mainly looking for evidence to make a long odds bet a la brexit worthwhile. Although the odds are not quite long enough yet.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    JackW said:

Take a gander at 538. All polls are adjusted as required :

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/updates/#now
    Thank you Jack W most appreciated...
  • Options
    JackW said:

Very glad to hear that, on a personal level of course, but also because a world without your awesome ARSE and its periodic Frighteningly Accurate Reports on Trends (FARTs) would scarcely be worth living in.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Scott_P said:

Excellent. Cheers for that. I have just signed.
  • Options

"Umpire's call" doesn't overturn a decision... :)

I didn't say it was overturned .. :smile:

• Options
    Mr. M, but isn't your support just a plan to get 99% of Gibraltar locked up so you become Chief Minister? :p

Mr. W, splendid that you remain at the crease.
  • Options

Fishing said:

Would that also be true of cutting the NHS to build Heathrow's fourth, fifth and sixth runways? Of selling inner London's social housing to the Chinese?
    NHS funding has only actually been cut in one year since its creation and that was under Labour.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

JackW said:

Very glad to hear that, on a personal level of course, but also because a world without your awesome ARSE and its periodic Frighteningly Accurate Reports on Trends (FARTs) would scarcely be worth living in.
    @Fishing .. You're clearly hooked, line and sinker on my ARSE .. :sunglasses:
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,133

Can someone explain Mr Clegg's thinking - how export tariffs affect domestic prices - or indeed import prices?

The price of chocolate, cheese and wine will increase sharply if Britain heads towards a so-called hard Brexit, according to Nick Clegg.

Speaking ahead of a Liberal Democrats food and drink Brexit impact report, he warned that Britain could only avoid tariffs on beef exports of 59%, chocolate at 38%, cheese at 40% and wine at 14%, with a soft Brexit.

http://news.sky.com/story/nick-clegg-chocolate-cheese-and-wine-to-be-hit-by-hard-brexit-10620761

Of course, Tusk has already explained that the alternative to 'Hard Brexit' is 'No Brexit'.....which evidently is what Mr Clegg is after.....

Britain could certainly unilaterally open its markets to imports from countries that charged tariffs on British exports. But does anyone think it would?
    There are more sources of cheese, wine & chocolate than the EU.....
    not decent ones that people want though
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141

Crazy though it is, I think they actually believe they're doing their bit to move the price.
  • Options

Would be lots of grumpy skinnies about
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    "This should find some support on here..."

Now, now, Mr P, you're only compounding the crime. Write out a hundred times ... 'I must stop being a monomaniac and accept the result.'
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    JackW said:

@Fishing .. You're clearly hooked, line and sinker on my ARSE .. :sunglasses:

@JackW Now you're just getting disturbing ;)
  • Options

Scott_P said:

They will have ironed the brownshirts as well, the junta is well down the road
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,083
    malcolmg said:

Britain could certainly unilaterally open its markets to imports from countries that charged tariffs on British exports. But does anyone think it would?
    Nothing wrong with many Southern Hemisphere wines.
  • Options
    Kind of the Iraqis to begin retaking Mosul, knocking more EU tosh off the top of the headlines:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-37674693

"Surrounded by senior Iraqi officers, the prime minister vowed that only government forces would enter Mosul, a Sunni-majority city."

Hmm. I wonder if the Kurds have agreed to that.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,456
    Interesting/scary/brave tweets available from @Josiensor who is with forces as they march on Mosul and fight Daesh.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Chile (even, whisper it quietly, Argentina if they're not being silly buggers...)

I think Malcolm's an old Tory snob!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Good morning Malcolm.
    Mrs M would strongly disagree about Swiss chocolate not being 'decent'!
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Free of the EU jackboot, you will be able to make yr camembert in Leicester and yr Toulouse sausage in Sutton Coldfield...
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

There's no need to talk about the EU Commission like that.
  • Options
    Mr. Borough, cheers for that. Top journalism.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,314
    edited October 2016

harummpphhh

I am no fan of Hillary but dont think its over, although trump is clearly his own worst enem

I am mainly looking for evidence to make a long odds bet a la brexit worthwhile. Although the odds are not quite long enough yet.
    There are occasions (in fact most of them statistically) when long odds are justified. Laterally Brexit betting odds were actually going against much of the polling evidence.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Chile (even, whisper it quietly, Argentina if they're not being silly buggers...)

I think Malcolm's an old Tory snob!
    Hehe - I periodically place a personal embargo on Argie products.

The last one was when they wanted to extradite Clarkson for having the temerity to drive a car and be pelted with stones from bolshy nationals.
  • Options
    Alaska - Lake Research - Sample 500 - 11-13 Oct

Clinton 36 .. Trump 37

http://midnightsunak.com/2016/10/16/midnight-sun-exclusive-new-poll-shows-trump-clinton-tied-alaska/
  • Options

harummpphhh

There are occasions (in fact most of them statistically) when long odds are justified. Laterally Brexit betting odds were actually going against much of the polling evidence.
    Hh-hmm, 15-1....

Still can't believe it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2016

Do you realise that we save money big time on NHS costs if the people are fat, and smokers and drunk and drug addicts? If it was lifecycle costs we wanted to save the government should be all out promoting sugar, transfats, booze and smack.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Can you believe it?

They're assigning government busy bodies to check up on every single child in the country!

How oppressive can you get?

I suppose you could abolish all the local police forces and centralise them under one regime, the better to keep track of dissent.....

Of course, all the while you've got to keep going On and On and On and On and On and On On and On and On and On and On and On On and On and On and On and On and On....about how the problems you're failing to deal with after many years in government are someone else's fault.
  • Options

Nate Silver currently says "it could be argued" that Trump's odds should be longer. Currently they match his model prediction, but there hasn't been time for the model to reflect the latest round of sex pest allegations.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Zac Goldsmith isn't a major headache. But what will the Foreign Secretary do if Heathrow is given the nod?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Free of the EU jackboot, you will be able to make yr camembert in Leicester and yr Toulouse sausage in Sutton Coldfield...
    Except you wouldn't. This is the same as the Pol Roger "pints of champagne" story. The statute book won't magically revert back to New Year's Eve, 1972.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953
    edited October 2016
    Fishing said:

Airport expansion is not financed by public expenditure, but by airline charges and retail revenues. In theory this will be the case for R3, though in practice the government may have to stick in a billion or two.
    With the key point that, like Hinckley or Trident renewal, this is a one off cost amortised over many years, not annual expenditure like health or welfare (or EU membership).
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

Zac Goldsmith isn't a major headache. But what will the Foreign Secretary do if Heathrow is given the nod?

Go missing for the vote.
  • Options
    Floater said:
    Ouch. What on Earth was she thinking, to get involved with Corbyn's mob?
  • Options
    Incidentally, in considering the possibility that the polls could be wrong, Silver also mentions Brexit. He thinks there is more uncertainty than usual with the polls, given a larger number of undecided voters than usual (though he seems to think it's likelier that they are underestimating Clinton's support than Trump's). But he reckons that a polling error of the size seen with Brexit wouldn't be enough on its own to give Trump the election:
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-where-the-race-stands-with-three-weeks-to-go/
  • Options

He'll probably find a good reason to be abroad and get 'paired' for the vote.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Alaska - Lake Research - Sample 500 - 11-13 Oct

Clinton 36 .. Trump 37

http://midnightsunak.com/2016/10/16/midnight-sun-exclusive-new-poll-shows-trump-clinton-tied-alaska/

Leaked internal polling. I have a portion of salt to consume with this poll.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Can you believe it?

They're assigning government busy bodies to check up on every single child in the country!

Like teachers?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Can you believe it?

Like teachers?
    Teachers, who should be working with parents to educate children, rather than against parents as glorified social workers snooping for the state, as if it were China or Soviet Russia.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    If Goldsmith does resign, I hope the local party deselect him.Hes the ultimate NIMBY and a big embarrassment for the Tories
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Can you believe it?

Like teachers?
    Teachers, who should be working with parents to educate children, rather than against parents as glorified social workers snooping for the state, as if it were China or Soviet Russia.
    Especially given the situation of Scottish education....
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Except you wouldn't. This is the same as the Pol Roger "pints of champagne" story. The statute book won't magically revert back to New Year's Eve, 1972.
    (I should have added an irony tag to that post)

I wasn't familiar with it. Was someone preventing the making of a 568.261ml bottle?

Must admit I am no expert. We do have Hokkaido camembert in Japan, however, so I assumed that this kind of thing might be possible
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Sandpit said:

Floater said:
    Ouch. What on Earth was she thinking, to get involved with Corbyn's mob?
    What was Baroness Chakrabati thinking?

Hmm....tricky one.....
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Can you believe it?

Like teachers?
    That's already a teachers' job. Or are you saying teachers should ignore warning signs of abuse and neglect?

"Sure littlen Timmy kept coming to school late, mapnourished and covered in bruises but I didn't want to be a snoop"
  • Options
    Alistair said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Can you believe it?

Like teachers?
    Scottish education going so well, is it?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Can you believe it?

Like teachers?
    That's already a teachers' job. Or are you saying teachers should ignore warning signs of abuse and neglect?

"Sure littlen Timmy kept coming to school late, mapnourished and covered in bruises but I didn't want to be a snoop"
    Resorting to Straw Man tactics.....don't worry, I don't think anyone will notice....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,097
    Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

With the key point that, like Hinckley or Trident renewal, this is a one off cost amortised over many years, not annual expenditure like health or welfare (or EU membership).
    That's not true of HPC. The government isn't paying for it up front; instead the electricity purchasers of the UK are locked in to a 35 year, inflation linked, volumes guaranteed deal, that starts at more than twice the prevailing price of baseload electricity.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,097

malcolmg said:

(I should have added an irony tag to that post)

I wasn't familiar with it. Was someone preventing the making of a 568.261ml bottle?

Must admit I am no expert. We do have Hokkaido camembert in Japan, however, so I assumed that this kind of thing might be possible
    It's always been possible to make a 568.261ml bottle.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Can you believe it?

Like teachers?

Of course teachers should report clear physical abuse - but that wasn't the proposal and you know it wasn't.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Patrick said:

Do you realise that we save money big time on NHS costs if the people are fat, and smokers and drunk and drug addicts? If it was lifecycle costs we wanted to save the government should be all out promoting sugar, transfats, booze and smack.
    Yes, but that would prevent people enjoying themselves and the misery gut middle classes wouldnt have anyone to boss around then.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Can you believe it?

Like teachers?

Are you suggesting that that wasn't the teachers' responsibility prior to the SNP's proposals?
This discussion has been closed.