Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With the court challenge to Theresa May’s Royal Prerogative pl

Comments

• Options
    Is Unilever an early exemplar of an emerging theme - 'Don't mess with Brexit'?
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

To get a referendum approved at Westminster the SNP will need a specific mandate. That means that a vote is not going to happen before 2021. In the meantime, Sturgeon has four years to build a narrative of a right-wing British government standing in Scotland's way and of being able to blame any poor economic data on Brexit. In 2021, Scotland either votes to go it alone or the Union is cemented for the foreseeable future and the SNP fragments. Big stakes. And this time I'll be watching as a dispassionate observer. It seems somehow right that David Cameron's fear of upsetting a few right wing Tory MPs back in 2012 should lead to the break-up of the UK within 10 years. What a legacy that would be.

Sorry no.

What sort of referendum majority is required for them to leave being a majority or even a 4 % one is not considered the people's will.

Either way if Scotland votes to leave then Parliament should be asked to agree the separation terms, then rebel and vote it down, ask at least 170 questions and generally ignore the will of the Scottish people thus preventing it ever happening.

The process will be agreed in advance. That should have been done with the EU referendum.

Then they just simply frustrate that process as would have Remain

Sorry you cannot have it both ways. Either you follow the will of the people or you don't. That will was clearly expressed. Now they should get on with it.*

* as I said before the referendum and since if the result was 50% + 1 person in remains favour we should the following morning join Schengen and commence entry into the Euro. I would not have liked the Euro but at least I understand what the democratic will of the people means.

The will of the people is to leave the EU. It is up to Parliament to approve the terms on which it will happen. Likewise, I would not expect a divorce deal with Scotland to be done without sign-off of the deal by the English and Scottish (and Welsh and Northern Irish) Parliaments.

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    Indigo said:

AnneJGP said:

The only meaningful way I can see would be for the EU negotiators to come & do the negotiating with the MPs as a body in the Commons. A recipe for a right old dog's breakfast of a result. Hardest Brexit of all, would be my guess.

Its nonsense anyway. Parliament legislates, the Executive enacts in accordance with the legislation and the powers granted therein.

Can anyone name another treaty in which parliament has been involved to any extent ? When parliament debated Lisbon was the a line by line discussion, or was the vote in effect "take it or leave it". Why is this one any different ?

I think the Maastricht Treaty had about 25 full days' debate in a Committee of the Whole House, which was indeed line-by-line, on top of the usual debates and votes for second reading, report stage and so on.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    TGOHF said:

MaxPB said:

I wonder if Unilever might be starting to regret allowing their finances to come under the spotlight.

http://order-order.com/2016/10/13/unilever-books-profits-outside-eu-in-switzerland/

One of the advantages they have is they don't sell under their own brand. Now, if the Mail and Sun declared war on Unilever products on their front page, well they would be in serious trouble.
    taffys said:

I wonder if Unilever might be starting to regret allowing their finances to come under the spotlight.

http://order-order.com/2016/10/13/unilever-books-profits-outside-eu-in-switzerland/

Shares down 5% today.
    That's what happens when companies try and play politics.
    Top of the Mail website:

#Marmitegate! Furious shoppers call for boycott of Unilever after Tesco stops selling Marmite - and 200 other items - in protest at Anglo-Dutch food giant's demand for a 10% Brexit price rise

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3835034/Major-brands-axed-Tesco-shelves-row-supplier-Unilever-demanded-10-cent-price-rise-falling-pound.html#ixzz4MxwHNp00
    "soap powder is soap powder, people will just get a non Unilever product"

Well quite..
    I thought Persil was made at Port Sunlight anyway. That's where Lever Brothers started.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420

TonyE said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: Sturgeon also confirmed SNP will vote against the Great Repeal Act - she's also trying to brand it as the 'Brexit Bill'

As will the LibDems and the Green, I am sure.

I am surprised that May doesn't appreciate that it is Labour, which doesn't have a settled policy on anything, pretty much, that is most vulnerable to being put on the spot.

Of course it was the debate - and the need to provide some answers during it, including to any clever amendments seeking to separate the remain Tories from the rest, that is May's real reason for not wanting an early vote.
    Her way out might be to simply call a general election and get a settled mandate that way, maybe in early Spring. That way the so called remain tories will be skewered. Sign up to the manifesto, or stand as an independent.
    That's not the way the Tory Party works. Any number of MPs have been selected and elected with views on the record that contradict official policy. Their main obstacle would be their local Association but that would depend on the strength of their views and the extent to which it varied from their local members.
    It is not the usual way it happens but 1 or 2 key statements could be taken at the selection/endorsement meeting of the Executive and the incumbent MP asked a Yes or No on them. The Executive can then decide to endorse or reject the MP.
    True. How often does that happen though?
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    MaxPB said:

To get a referendum approved at Westminster the SNP will need a specific mandate. That means that a vote is not going to happen before 2021. In the meantime, Sturgeon has four years to build a narrative of a right-wing British government standing in Scotland's way and of being able to blame any poor economic data on Brexit. In 2021, Scotland either votes to go it alone or the Union is cemented for the foreseeable future and the SNP fragments. Big stakes. And this time I'll be watching as a dispassionate observer. It seems somehow right that David Cameron's fear of upsetting a few right wing Tory MPs back in 2012 should lead to the break-up of the UK within 10 years. What a legacy that would be.

Sturgeon wants to remove Scotland from the Union which accounts for 60% of its trade and which transfers money into Scotland, to one which accounts for 15% of its trade and will expect Scotland to transfer money out of Scotland.....

Yep, on the face of it she has an uphill task. But as many have noted on here, there are some things more important than money and living standards. This is one hell of an opportunity for Scotland to define itself as being the very opposite of England and to extricate itself from something that many Scots now feel they are no real part of. It would be a shame to see the UK go, but we English have removed the Scots from the EU against their will. It's understandable that Scots may want to pass a judgement on that.

The difference is that there is significantly more latent admiration and positive sentiment for the Union than there ever was for the EU. The independence side would be fighting 300 years of history in addition to the economics, I'm not sure that will be possible. Not enough to swing 6% of No voters.
    So, it's ok to support

"This is one hell of an opportunity for Scotland to define itself as being the very opposite of England and to extricate itself from something that many Scots now feel they are no real part of. "

But not .....

This is one hell of an opportunity for the UK to define itself as being the very opposite of the EU and to extricate itself from something that many Brits now feel they are no real part of.

Ok got it.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    The will of the people is to leave the EU. It is up to Parliament to approve the terms on which it will happen.

If you can bear to log onto the Express you can watch Andrew Neil tear a new one for a tory MP arguing precisely the same. The people knew what they were voting for.
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    Patrick said:

Maybe, but maybe more a theme of 'Don't take the public for suckers - you tax dodging bastards".
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

SNP's Nicola Sturgeon announces new independence referendum bill
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-37634338

@ScottyNational: News : Sturgeon placates indy supporters by confirming that the date of the next referendum is firmly set in sand
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I am not so sure. If the EU is willing (which I admit could go either way) we could stop the process at any point after A50 until the point of actual exit.

Probably not if we intend to abide by the terms of the treaty. As I mentioned last night the Lisbon Treaty was the first opportunity a state had to leave the EU and stay in accordance with its treaty obligations. Prior to Lisbon the only alternative would be to breach the treaty obligations. As far as I know Britain has never breached Treaty obligations in modern times.

As has already been pointed out, the A50 is worded in such a way that once it has been triggered it cannot be revoked. Unless the states wanted to rip up Lisbon and have a completely new treaty there is no way they could legally allow the UK to change its mind and revoke Article 50. SO the choice we would have would be to complete the leave process and then seek to rejoin under Article 49 - which would include a requirement to join both Schengen and the Euro.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Sorry no.

What sort of referendum majority is required for them to leave being a majority or even a 4 % one is not considered the people's will.

Either way if Scotland votes to leave then Parliament should be asked to agree the separation terms, then rebel and vote it down, ask at least 170 questions and generally ignore the will of the Scottish people thus preventing it ever happening.

The process will be agreed in advance. That should have been done with the EU referendum.

Sorry you cannot have it both ways. Either you follow the will of the people or you don't. That will was clearly expressed. Now they should get on with it.*

* as I said before the referendum and since if the result was 50% + 1 person in remains favour we should the following morning join Schengen and commence entry into the Euro. I would not have liked the Euro but at least I understand what the democratic will of the people means.

The will of the people is to leave the EU. It is up to Parliament to approve the terms on which it will happen. Likewise, I would not expect a divorce deal with Scotland to be done without sign-off of the deal by the English and Scottish (and Welsh and Northern Irish) Parliaments.

What about the Borders - if they want to Brexit and stay in the Uk - will they get a separate vote ?

All I see is a poster trying to spread Brexit doom with a Scottish angle - which bears no relation to Sindy 2 polling or Scottish opinion on a preference for the Uk over the EU.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    taffys said:

IF you met Bill Clinton, would you shake his hand?

I wouldn't.

I might ... but no ... close, but no cigar ... :astonished:
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    edited October 2016

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

I'll repeat what I've said a hundred times already.

It's irrelevant whether Parliament needs to be consulted or not. It is a political mistake not to get Article 50 rubber stamped, and as soon as possible.

But that implies that parliament is a rubber stamp. The government should be making it clear that it doesn't regard parliament in that light (whatever it actually feels).

To that end, it shouldn't grant a vote on Article 50 but it should be holding a full debate on what the terms - or at least the principles - of Brexit negotiations should be. The government needs parliament to have some kind of buy-in and ownership of the process.
    No it is saying to MPs: please acknowledge the democratic process of the referendum.
    1. They won't. Are you really telling me that the MPs for Sunderland, with UKIP breathing down their necks, will vote against their constituents. And the vast, vast majority of Conservatives will vote for the motion. It would be 550-100.

2. But let's pretend it won't be a thumping victory for the government. Mrs May then calls an election. Wins a massive majority with a manifesto that is explicit about the goals of Brexit, and therefore cannot be challenged in the Lords under the Salisbury convention.
    I agree that they won't but going through that charade isn't good for anybody as it's a deception against both itself and the public about what it might do and where power really lies.

It's interesting that you mention the Salisbury Convention. What I'd suggest is needed is an equivalent convention, based on the same principle, that parliament does not overturn the substance of a referendum result.
    If TMay gets her way on this, and I think she will, then that will set the convention.

For practical purposes, yes, I think you're right. It'd still be helpful for the convention to be acknowledged though, as the Salisbury one is, rather than drifting in out of habit.
    Legislation, or even an acknowledgement, would never get through the Commons or the Lords. Nor should it.

To make it stick you would need an Oliver Cromwell and a civil war between those who support parliament and those who support the Queen.

EDIT: And we know who won last time.
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/13/great-marmite-war-reality-brexit-bite

Polly Toynbee, bravely standing up for the right of giant corporations to hike prices on consumers.

A new arrogance is developing amongst the elite. Once the plebs see the price of their beer and bingo going up, they will soon change their tunes.

Just as nauseating as the others.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Sorry no.

The 'will of the people' was not 'clearly expressed'. There was less than 4% in it.
    Erm...Waterloo was a damn close run thing too - but nonetheless decisive. The EU never ever offered an associate membership or two-speed options or anything other than balls-deep in or right the way out. More fool them. We needed to be given the choice as the whole EU stay-or-go thing has been a festering turd for 40 years in UK politics. It's frankly a scandal there was no referendum earlier (esp re ratifying Lisbon). A very simple binary choice was required. In or out. We chose out. That's pretty fucking clear to me.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Patrick said:

More like don't play politics. The Dutch side of the board are clearly trying to exert pressure on the UK operation, now they have their reaction. To lose 29% of the grocery market overnight is a disaster for the company, I'd be very, very surprised of Sainsbury's and Asda agreed to price rises now that Tesco have told them to get lost so it could rise to being cut off from 60% of the grocery market soon. That's a material impact on the company's bottom line for nothing really. If they had come in and said we need a 3% price rise for the next few months which will be reviewed if Sterling recovers, Tesco management would have waived it through and raised prices for consumers by 2%, which most people wouldn't have noticed.

Unilever have made a huge error, all it will take now is for The Sun to rabble rouse a bit and print a front page of their products and instruct readers to avoid them until Unilever gives in and "respects the public's wishes" or something like that.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    IanB2 said:

I am not so sure. If the EU is willing (which I admit could go either way) we could stop the process at any point after A50 until the point of actual exit.

No. The ECJ rules in accordance with the Treaties, and only the treaties, and pays no attention to anything like intergovernmental agreements, or even agreements one the Council of Ministers. see
    http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org/the_79_times_that_the_ecj_has_ignored_the_danish_renegotiation.html
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Probably not if we intend to abide by the terms of the treaty. As I mentioned last night the Lisbon Treaty was the first opportunity a state had to leave the EU and stay in accordance with its treaty obligations. Prior to Lisbon the only alternative would be to breach the treaty obligations. As far as I know Britain has never breached Treaty obligations in modern times.

As has already been pointed out, the A50 is worded in such a way that once it has been triggered it cannot be revoked. Unless the states wanted to rip up Lisbon and have a completely new treaty there is no way they could legally allow the UK to change its mind and revoke Article 50. SO the choice we would have would be to complete the leave process and then seek to rejoin under Article 49 - which would include a requirement to join both Schengen and the Euro.
    Prior to Art 50 (Lisbon), the Vienna convention on the Laws of Treaties would have been utilised so that the nation could leave. Although not all nations are signed up to it, it is now accepted as the accepted standard for international agreements where no specific clause supersedes it.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060

IanB2 said:

But that's not the way it would be done. Instead the 27 other members of the EU would unanimously vote to extend the negotiations period by 25 years. Then at the next Treaty revision, they'd change it to explicitly allow an application to be rescinded.

Finding 27 countries who want our money to keep flowing towards Brussels wouldn't be a problem.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Someone mentioned the Young Turks yesterday. Here's their take on Wikileaks. They're Bernie supporters.

https://youtu.be/8PvzAFfQPJ8
  • Options
    taffys said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/13/great-marmite-war-reality-brexit-bite

Polly Toynbee, bravely standing up for the right of giant corporations to hike prices on consumers.

A new arrogance is developing amongst the elite. Once the plebs see the price of their beer and bingo going up, they will soon change their tunes.

"Every day that passes shows how disastrous a referendum can be"

:D
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

MaxPB said:

One of the advantages they have is they don't sell under their own brand. Now, if the Mail and Sun declared war on Unilever products on their front page, well they would be in serious trouble.
    taffys said:

Shares down 5% today.
    Top of the Mail website:

#Marmitegate! Furious shoppers call for boycott of Unilever after Tesco stops selling Marmite - and 200 other items - in protest at Anglo-Dutch food giant's demand for a 10% Brexit price rise

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3835034/Major-brands-axed-Tesco-shelves-row-supplier-Unilever-demanded-10-cent-price-rise-falling-pound.html#ixzz4MxwHNp00

Well quite..
    Well not quite.

There is a reason for using brand names.

Unilever is not used as a brand name in this country.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194

Sturgeon wants to remove Scotland from the Union which accounts for 60% of its trade and which transfers money into Scotland, to one which accounts for 15% of its trade and will expect Scotland to transfer money out of Scotland

Yes indeed.

And the chances that her efforts are successful depend on voters' stupidity. Recently I heard someone say that Scots didn't have a vote in the EU referendum. "What on earth is this guy talking about?" I wondered. It hit me later what he meant. What he meant was that British citizens living in Scotland didn't get a vote on whether or not Scotland should become a member of the EU.

How is one supposed to respond? Point out that exactly the same statement could be made about people living in England, or London, or the Isle of Wight? Point out that Scotland can only ever become a member of the EU if it is independent, and that people in Scotland recently voted against independence?

But no; against stupidity even the gods battle in vain. The SNP encourage a massive nationalistic chip on their shoulder among their followers and voters: every damned thing they don't like is about the English (who sometimes appear as "Westminster", sometimes "the London media") stopping them getting what they want. They live in the infantile borderland between Tantrum World and Pretending to be Like a Grown-Up. There's no reasoning with them.

If ratings agencies say an independent Scotland would get a crap rating, that must be because they're evil-minded people seeking to do Scotland down. I'm no fan of ratings agencies, but such an accusation indicates a complete lack of understanding of what lending money is all about.

When the SNP politicians are behind closed doors, of course, the "we" who want "control over our own affairs" becomes a very different "we". A Labour-Tory-LibDem coalition in the Scottish parliament would be far preferable to the SNP-Green shower that's in power in Edinburgh at the moment.
  • Options
    RobD said:

King Bhumibol has died:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37643326#"

First Asian financial crisis started in Thailand......

RIP. HM assumes the top spot.
    HMQ is numbers; 1, 3, 4, 9, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 20, 21 & 22;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_reigning_monarchs_by_length_of_reign
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Patrick said:

More like don't play politics. The Dutch side of the board are clearly trying to exert pressure on the UK operation, now they have their reaction. To lose 29% of the grocery market overnight is a disaster for the company, I'd be very, very surprised of Sainsbury's and Asda agreed to price rises now that Tesco have told them to get lost so it could rise to being cut off from 60% of the grocery market soon. That's a material impact on the company's bottom line for nothing really. If they had come in and said we need a 3% price rise for the next few months which will be reviewed if Sterling recovers, Tesco management would have waived it through and raised prices for consumers by 2%, which most people wouldn't have noticed.

Unilever have made a huge error, all it will take now is for The Sun to rabble rouse a bit and print a front page of their products and instruct readers to avoid them until Unilever gives in and "respects the public's wishes" or something like that.
    The major consequence of this is that P&G, Nestle, etc., will all make sure that no individual price rise is more than 1-2%.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''That's what happens when companies try and play politics. ''

See those bodies hanging from lamp posts in Soho?

That's Unilever's PR representatives, that is.

Maybe the problem is that the UK Head for Unilever has little experience dealing with retail negotiations and has been in UK for what looks like just 12 months?
    https://www.unilever.co.uk/about/who-we-are/our-local-leadership/gina-boswell.html
    Uk is only Unilever's 4th biggest market.
  • Options

King Bhumibol has died:

If the (admittedly wildly biased) commentator on The World Tonight is correct then the Crown Prince who is in line to succeed is hated and there could indeed be very rough times ahead for Thailand.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

taffys said:

She would always have wanted a technocracy over a democracy - she thinks the plebs aren't clever enough to rule themselves. That's one of the reasons people like her removed Grammar schools - too many plebs getting to the top.
  • Options
    National - Rasmussen

Clinton 41 .. Trump 43

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/polls/rasmussen-26154

:smiley:
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Sorry no.

The 'will of the people' was not 'clearly expressed'. There was less than 4% in it.
    I can see you saying just the same if it was 50%+1 Remain, honest, I really can!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    TGOHF said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Sorry no.

What about the Borders - if they want to Brexit and stay in the Uk - will they get a separate vote ?

All I see is a poster trying to spread Brexit doom with a Scottish angle - which bears no relation to Sindy 2 polling or Scottish opinion on a preference for the Uk over the EU.

You really don't understand the Borders at all.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Patrick said:

The major consequence of this is that P&G, Nestle, etc., will all make sure that no individual price rise is more than 1-2%.
    In that sense Unilever has done the British consumer a massive favour as food price inflation will be held down to 2-3% over the next year or so vs 4-6% which is what I was expecting.
  • Options

Indigo said:

AnneJGP said:

The only meaningful way I can see would be for the EU negotiators to come & do the negotiating with the MPs as a body in the Commons. A recipe for a right old dog's breakfast of a result. Hardest Brexit of all, would be my guess.

Its nonsense anyway. Parliament legislates, the Executive enacts in accordance with the legislation and the powers granted therein.

Can anyone name another treaty in which parliament has been involved to any extent ? When parliament debated Lisbon was the a line by line discussion, or was the vote in effect "take it or leave it". Why is this one any different ?

I think the Maastricht Treaty had about 25 full days' debate in a Committee of the Whole House, which was indeed line-by-line, on top of the usual debates and votes for second reading, report stage and so on.
    And Parliament's ability to change a word of it was zero, the treaty was there, we either signed it or we didnt.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    taffys said:

Polly Toynbee, bravely standing up for the right of giant corporations who funnel their profits through Switzerland to hike prices on consumers

This Brexit lark has made some odd bedfellows....
  • Options
    JackW said:

taffys said:

IF you met Bill Clinton, would you shake his hand?

I wouldn't.

I might ... but no ... close, but no cigar ... :astonished:
    Not even a large Corona ?
  • Options

taffys said:

''That's what happens when companies try and play politics. ''

See those bodies hanging from lamp posts in Soho?

That's Unilever's PR representatives, that is.

Maybe the problem is that the UK Head for Unilever has little experience dealing with retail negotiations and has been in UK for what looks like just 12 months?
    https://www.unilever.co.uk/about/who-we-are/our-local-leadership/gina-boswell.html
    Uk is only Unilever's 4th biggest market.
    Probably quite a lot less at this point in time given they've been kicked out of 29% of it!
  • Options
    As long as it's just Unilever, then a boycott (very SNP, of course) is possible. If other companies start putting up process it gets trickier.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Sorry no.

One of the weaknesses of your point is that we all know you'd be saying "less than 9%" or "less than 12%" or "less than 19%" or whatever figure was extant to push exactly the same agenda.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The thing is, she knows Parliament will have to grant her the right to do it. And her entire motive is for Parliament to block it, as they certainly must until the art 50 negotiations are over.
  • Options

As long as it's just Unilever, then a boycott (very SNP, of course) is possible. If other companies start putting up process it gets trickier.

As Robert points out, the price rises will be limited to 1-2% rather than the 10% Unilever asked for, no company wants that kind of bad press. When you're on the wrong side of the argument vs Tesco and people are calling Tesco a consumer champion that's a huge PR loss.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Sorry no.

Christ on a bike it's a majority FFS.

Had remain won with 4% or even a few dozen votes we would not be having this conversation and the line would have been the people have spoken, that's it no further discussion needed Remain has a full mandate.

Remain fully engaged in this referendum they must accept the result. The present scenario just clearly demonstrates the worst aspects of the EU and its predatory ways. I can understand why you like it so much. A referendum is only acceptable if it agrees with your views, they did not by well over a million people.

You know it ......I know it ......everyone on the board knows it. Hypocrisy and being a sore loser is so EU.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Alistair said:

TGOHF said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Sorry no.

You really don't understand the Borders at all.
    I know they are staunchly blue in Holyrood :)

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Sorry no.

No, the Borders are an integral part of Scotland.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited October 2016

I am not sure the number of people happy to boycott Unilever is substantially greater than the number of people who might be upset at not being able to buy their favourite brands "because of Brexit"

It may yet be another interesting exercise in "the will of the people"

EDIT: Added extra bit. It might also be that the wealthier leafier parts that voted remain would join the boycott, and those more deprived areas that voted out would be most upset
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

TGOHF said:

MaxPB said:

taffys said:

Shares down 5% today.
    Top of the Mail website:

Well quite..
    Well not quite.

During the 2012 Olympics, Proctor and Gamble pushed their own name quite a lot, something like "proud sponsor of mums". A friend of mine said this was an odd decision as he thinks a company like P&G should aim keep a low profile and not allow customers to realize that a number of brands are owned by the same people. Until yesterday I didn't know who owned Marmite (but I'd have guessed either P&G or Unilever). I'd suggest that Unilever have made a mistake in allowing their name to become associated with their products.
  • Options
    ''This Brexit lark has made some odd bedfellows.... ''

That is what is so magnificent about it, and why it will be increasingly popular.
  • Options
    Our PM should grant a Sindy 2 - on the condition that Gordon Strachan is in charge of the YES campaign.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408
    edited October 2016
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Sorry no.

Had remain won with 4% or even a few dozen votes we would not be having this conversation and the line would have been the people have spoken, that's it no further discussion needed Remain has a full mandate.

Remain fully engaged in this referendum they must accept the result. The present scenario just clearly demonstrates the worst aspects of the EU and its predatory ways. I can understand why you like it so much. A referendum is only acceptable if it agrees with your views, they did not by well over a million people.

You know it ......I know it ......everyone on the board knows it. Hypocrisy and being a sore loser is so EU.
    I see your point - but the fact remains that had it been the opposite result by the same margin, we'd still be on here day after day arguing the toss with leavers who refused to accept the result. We all know this is true.

edit/ indeed Farage - thinking he had lost - was already trying to set this up in his comments during Referendum week.
  • Options

King Bhumibol has died:

If the (admittedly wildly biased) commentator on The World Tonight is correct then the Crown Prince who is in line to succeed is hated and there could indeed be very rough times ahead for Thailand.
    He is not held in remotely the same regard as his father.

Lese majeste laws or not, In the age of the internet, photographs of him stepping out of a jet in Munich in what's clearly his wife's top, which doesn't even reach his (ample) midriff, will have been widely seen in Thailand......talk about 'letting light in on the magic'!
  • Options
    "Gone With The Wind-up" - Final Scene

"Rasmussen ... Home. I'll go home to Rasmussen.. And I'll think of some way to get Trump back in front .. After all... tomorrow is another day."
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Sorry no.

I see your point - but the fact remains that had it been the opposite result by the same margin, we'd still be on here day after day arguing the toss with leavers who refused to accept the result. We all know this is true.
    But Parliament would have steamed full ahead into the superstate. Game over.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Sorry no.

No, the Borders are an integral part of Scotland.

Scotland is an integral part of the Uk - and its citizens agreed - as confirmed by recent referendum.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

As Robert points out, the price rises will be limited to 1-2% rather than the 10% Unilever asked for, no company wants that kind of bad press. When you're on the wrong side of the argument vs Tesco and people are calling Tesco a consumer champion that's a huge PR loss.

Yep, I agree.

• Options
    JackW said:

"Rasmussen ... Home. I'll go home to Rasmussen.. And I'll think of some way to get Trump back in front .. After all... tomorrow is another day."

Didn;t it show a big lead for Hill the other day? I notice it wasn't satirized then.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Patrick said:

In that sense Unilever has done the British consumer a massive favour as food price inflation will be held down to 2-3% over the next year or so vs 4-6% which is what I was expecting.
    Unilever and other food manufacturers have the choice of reverting to UK manufacture and avoiding the problem of sterling depreciation other than necessary imported ingedients.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

Sturgeon wants to remove Scotland from the Union which accounts for 60% of its trade and which transfers money into Scotland, to one which accounts for 15% of its trade and will expect Scotland to transfer money out of Scotland

Yes indeed.

And the chances that her efforts are successful depend on voters' stupidity. Recently I heard someone say that Scots didn't have a vote in the EU referendum. "What on earth is this guy talking about?" I wondered. It hit me later what he meant. What he meant was that British citizens living in Scotland didn't get a vote on whether or not Scotland should become a member of the EU.

How is one supposed to respond? Point out that exactly the same statement could be made about people living in England, or London, or the Isle of Wight? Point out that Scotland can only ever become a member of the EU if it is independent, and that people in Scotland recently voted against independence?

But no; against stupidity even the gods battle in vain. The SNP encourage a massive nationalistic chip on their shoulder among their followers and voters: every damned thing they don't like is about the English (who sometimes appear as "Westminster", sometimes "the London media") stopping them getting what they want. They live in the infantile borderland between Tantrum World and Pretending to be Like a Grown-Up. There's no reasoning with them.

If ratings agencies say an independent Scotland would get a crap rating, that must be because they're evil-minded people seeking to do Scotland down. I'm no fan of ratings agencies, but such an accusation indicates a complete lack of understanding of what lending money is all about.

When the SNP politicians are behind closed doors, of course, the "we" who want "control over our own affairs" becomes a very different "we". A Labour-Tory-LibDem coalition in the Scottish parliament would be far preferable to the SNP-Green shower that's in power in Edinburgh at the moment.

Nationalism clearly played a large part in the Brexit vote too. And, as many on here have said, some things are more important than money. The political trajectories of Scotland and England are clearly going in very different directions.

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

To get a referendum approved at Westminster the SNP will need a specific mandate.

Sorry no.

Calm down dear.
    You won (just), but don't continue claiming that it was 'the will of the people'. It was close, that's a really simple fact.
    By the way, if Remain had won by 3.8% I would still have said that it was close, no hypocrisy here. Just give me the facts.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408
    Indigo said:

IanB2 said:

No. The ECJ rules in accordance with the Treaties, and only the treaties, and pays no attention to anything like intergovernmental agreements, or even agreements one the Council of Ministers. see
    http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org/the_79_times_that_the_ecj_has_ignored_the_danish_renegotiation.html
    In reality, if the will is there, I suggest that politics will be trumps
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    TonyE said:

TGOHF said:

taffys said:

She would always have wanted a technocracy over a democracy - she thinks the plebs aren't clever enough to rule themselves. That's one of the reasons people like her removed Grammar schools - too many plebs getting to the top.
    Broadly speaking, yes. Although not the "top". They never let the plebs in at the top.

In the 1950s and 1960s the few hundred families that own Britain needed to hire some state-school types to do things like manage railway stations in the public sector, and they wanted them to have a bit of education, and even a sense of social responsibility, so that they could do a proper job. Since the late 1970s, as the citadels of finance rise ever higher in the City (and Canary Wharf), the few hundred families have deliberately made the country fall apart. The middle-level personnel whom they require nowadays are much more likely to work in the private sector, and even if they work in the state sector their attitudes aren't what they were 50 years ago. With very few exceptions, the kind of people needed are those who sacrifice at the altar of "dog eat dog" - selfish, stupid, greedy and often cruel buggers who are with the program of "smash, grab, pocket the payoff, and oh look, aren't there a lot of 'chavs' and 'losers' about?" For all the self-regard of some at Oxford and Cambridge, in many areas of life in Britain the idea is NOT that those who are allowed to be more "educated" or "clever" should be the ones who get jobs administering things or standing above others.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    JackW said:

Is "Gone With The Wind-Up" an ARSE production?
  • Options
    Scotland is an integral part of the Uk - and its citizens agreed - as confirmed by recent referendum.

The TPA's research shows we are subsidizing Scotland's governing elite to hate us. IF they want to go this time, let's let them. I've had enough of this petulant child.
  • Options
    If you really, really want to shake up the establishment and the elite in the UK - if you want to rock them to their very core of their being - the best thing you could do is to break the UK up.
  • Options
    Been doing some maths this morning, in USD terms, productivity adjusted UK unit labour costs are now competitive with Southern Europe and lower than anywhere in Northern Europe. If the exchange rate holds then investment will follow, Brexit or no Brexit.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    edited October 2016
    IanB2 said:

edit/ indeed Farage - thinking he had lost - was already trying to set this up in his comments during Referendum week.

Any movement at all towards closer integration would have been fair game. A 52-48 result to Remain could only have been seen as a result for the states quo. Which, in many ways would have been an even more impossible high-wire act for Prime Minister Cameron...

He was stuffed all ways round on anything less than a sizeable Remain majority.
  • Options

If you really, really want to shake up the establishment and the elite in the UK - if you want to rock them to their very core of their being - the best thing you could do is to break the UK up.

Then there wouldn't be an "elite in the UK" to be shaken up, so your comment doesn't make any sense.
  • Options
    taffys said:

JackW said:

Didn;t it show a big lead for Hill the other day? I notice it wasn't satirized then.
    Yes +7 .. Trump moved +6 points overnight. Probably just over sampled beauty pageant organizers. A simple error.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

To get a referendum approved at Westminster the SNP will need a specific mandate.

Sorry no.

[snip]
    By the way, if Remain had won by 3.8% I would still have said that it was close, no hypocrisy here. Just give me the facts.
    Would you really? I call 'bollocks' on that.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    How many Scots Remain votes came from SNP supporters who are ambivalent or sceptical towards the EU but just wanted to drive a wedge between Scotland and England, I wonder?
  • Options

Is "Gone With The Wind-Up" an ARSE production?

One doesn't like to take all the credit .. :smile:
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Must confess I hate Marmite , I would rather eat Persil but my son loves it .
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Then there wouldn't be an "elite in the UK" to be shaken up, so your comment doesn't make any sense.

Scotland would not get independence the day after voting for it.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Indigo said:

IanB2 said:

Kadi & Al Barakaat v. Council of the EU & EC Commission

Suggests you are wrong. The ECJ throwing out the ruling of the UN Security Council.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    "I see your point - but the fact remains that had it been the opposite result by the same margin, we'd still be on here day after day arguing the toss with leavers who refused to accept the result. We all know this is true.

edit/ indeed Farage - thinking he had lost - was already trying to set this up in his comments during Referendum week."

Yes' without any doubt we all would have been but not to frustrate the enactment of a referendum result clearly stated. I am sure the "fight would go on" but this was in a situation of no change, the Status Quo as some put it.

Remain would and could have shut this down easily and UKIP would have been laughed out of both the EU parliaments by those who they had tormented for years. Probably rightly so as they could not even secure the backing of the British people in such a scenario. Of course it didn't happen that way so the point is mute really
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

TGOHF said:

MaxPB said:

taffys said:

Shares down 5% today.
    Top of the Mail website:

Well quite..
    Well not quite.

During the 2012 Olympics, Proctor and Gamble pushed their own name quite a lot, something like "proud sponsor of mums". A friend of mine said this was an odd decision as he thinks a company like P&G should aim keep a low profile and not allow customers to realize that a number of brands are owned by the same people. Until yesterday I didn't know who owned Marmite (but I'd have guessed either P&G or Unilever). I'd suggest that Unilever have made a mistake in allowing their name to become associated with their products.
    I assume most people have seen this before?

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/fascinating-graphic-shows-who-owns-all-the-major-brands-1599537576
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    JackW said:
    Has Trump tweeted about this yet?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Maomentum_: The collectivisation of yeast extraction will be a priority of a future Corbyn government.
    @ExMiliMed1
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691
    So soap dodgers are now boycotting soap?

At least it makes a change from fecking *reepy *lowns.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

IanB2 said:

Indigo said:

IanB2 said:

Suggests you are wrong. The ECJ throwing out the ruling of the UN Security Council.
    Does the UN Security Council have any legal standing, though?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

tlg86 said:

TGOHF said:

MaxPB said:

taffys said:

Shares down 5% today.
    Top of the Mail website:

Well quite..
    Well not quite.

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/fascinating-graphic-shows-who-owns-all-the-major-brands-1599537576
    No, that's very interesting, thank you.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

King Bhumibol has died:

He is not held in remotely the same regard as his father.

Lese majeste laws or not, In the age of the internet, photographs of him stepping out of a jet in Munich in what's clearly his wife's top, which doesn't even reach his (ample) midriff, will have been widely seen in Thailand......talk about 'letting light in on the magic'!
    Agree; however, his (elder) sister, is wildly popular.

IIRC, the succession is, at least partly, in the gift of the King.
  • Options

Not really - they (you) hate Britain so much that would be like a dream come true.

• Options
    619 said:

JackW said:
    Has Trump tweeted about this yet?
    Certainly not ... Trump thinks it's only a two point lead in California ...
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

TGOHF said:

MaxPB said:

taffys said:

Shares down 5% today.
    Top of the Mail website:

Well quite..
    Well not quite.

No, that's very interesting, thank you.
    And people think a country of 60-70 million can be totally in charge of it’s own destiny.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    taffys said:

The TPA's research shows we are subsidizing Scotland's governing elite to hate us. IF they want to go this time, let's let them. I've had enough of this petulant child.

Yes their citizens agreed to be part of a UK that was a member of the EU, as the No campaign campaigned on in 2014. Sturgeon is absolutely right to call another referendum, and I hope for the Scots' sake that they take this opportunity. I was a staunch opponent of Sindy. Not any more. They should go for it.
  • Options

Yes, I'm sure the anti-'liberal elite', anti-intellectual, anti-establishment, PB Trumper Leavers will be promoting exactly that.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Jobabob said:

taffys said:

Yes their citizens agreed to be part of a UK that was a member of the EU, as the No campaign campaigned on in 2014. Sturgeon is absolutely right to call another referendum, and I hope for the Scots' sake that they take this opportunity. I was a staunch opponent of Sindy. Not any more. They should go for it.
    Yes great - then have one after every bill and budget passes through Westminster just incase minds have been changed by every single event..

for reference the question was

""Should Scotland be an independent country?""

No mention of the EU.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Calm down dear.
    You won (just), but don't continue claiming that it was 'the will of the people'. It was close, that's a really simple fact.

You won? Sorry. The only winners was democracy there was no ( just ) in it and that was the result. The people spoke and the will of the people was to leave. So yes it was the will of the people when put to a vote.

If the result is not accepted then any football team that ever wins again scoring a goal n the dying minutes of injury time or extra time can have the result annulled and be awarded the win. Even if they lost. As much as that may appeal to the initial losing team it is complete, total utter tosh.

When finally asked after numerous treaties signed behind closed doors, ignoring the people for years, cancelling referendums that were promised and the final one sneaking into the Lisbon " tidying up" exercise even after France / Netherlands rejected the original. Remain still could not carry the people. Over 1 million people is not just. It's huge. Larger than I thought as I was convinced remain would win which as stated was fine by me if so
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Yes, I'm sure the anti-'liberal elite', anti-intellectual, anti-establishment, PB Trumper Leavers will be promoting exactly that.

Yep, I am sure they will :-D

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Jobabob said:

taffys said:

Yes great - then have one after every bill and budget passes through Westminster just incase minds have been changed by every single event..

for reference the question was

""Should Scotland be an independent country?""

No mention of the EU.

Hmm. As I recall the EU referendum question was:

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

No mention of leaving the Single Market, or appointing Liam "Wrecker" Fox to run our international trade affairs.

Funny old world.
  • Options
    I must confess to being rather more excited about this that I was about The Force Awakens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC9abcLLQpI
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Jason said:

'I cannot see Parliament blocking the move rather there would be lots of amendments and efforts to set conditions for the invocation.'

I can. Emma Reynolds let the cat out of the bag on the DP. If MPs don't like the terms - ie - no membership of the single market (and therefore the freedom of movement of people) - they will vote this down and the whole process will be finished. Membership of the EU is the driving force of all Left wing politicians, probably more than their own constituencies. I reckon Miliband, Clegg, etc would be happy to sacrifice their own seats to end Brexit.

In what way would it end Brexit?

1. If they sacrificed their own seats, it'd imply a substantially increased Con majority, possibly bolstered by a UKIP block. That new government could then enact Brexit.

2. Once A50 is invoked, it's near-enough impossible to stop the process. If parliament doesn't like the exit terms then that just means it will be a chaotic rather than an ordered exit.
    The referendum was advisory and it was close. Those are simple facts.
    Only one of those is a fact. The other is a silly meme invented by people who want to disregard the democratic decision of the British people.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Sturgeon wants to remove Scotland from the Union which accounts for 60% of its trade and which transfers money into Scotland, to one which accounts for 15% of its trade and will expect Scotland to transfer money out of Scotland.....
    A referendum in the next 20 years would be a breach of the Edinburgh Agreement. If Sturgeon wants to breach the said agreement, she's going to have a devil of a time getting another one.
  • Options
    Poor positioning by Kezia and ScotLab.

They should give qualified backing for independence.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I must confess to being rather more excited about this that I was about The Force Awakens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC9abcLLQpI

This might be the first 'proper' Star Wars movie since Empire. But I kept saying that about Queen albums in the 80's too, and I was always wrong.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

IanB2 said:

Indigo said:

IanB2 said:

Does the UN Security Council have any legal standing, though?
    No, neither do agreements in the Council of Ministers that was my point.

The contention was the politics would win over what the ECJ ruled in the end, an UNSC ruling supported by all the member countries including the two permanent members in the EU was thrown out by the ECJ, seems hard to think of a better example of politics playing second fiddle to the ECJ, except for the aforementioned Danish Renegotiation, unanimously agreed by the Council of Europe, in much the same way as the renegotiation deal proposed by Cameron would have been and then thrown out by the ECJ when they tried to use it.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    Jobabob said:

Even if they don't believe in it?
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Jobabob said:

Maybe they don't believe in breaking up the UK?
This discussion has been closed.