Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov London poll boost sees even UKIP & CON voters warming t

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,997
    JackW said:

Missouri - Monmouth Uni - Sample 406 - 9-11 Oct

Clinton 41 .. Trump 46

http://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/MonmouthPoll_MO_101216/

There are very few elections one should want to lose, but for the Republicans, this may be one. Imagine what the 2018 mid-terms would be like under President Trump.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148

Scott_P said:

@JoannaPartridge: I've been told #Tesco isn't the only major retailer which has been approached by #Unilever, who are demanding 10% price rises across board

sell Unilever
    If you can convince people to pay 10% more you must be quite the salesman.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

@ITVJoel: Unilever told Tesco it wanted to up its prices by 10% due to weak £. Tesco refused and so, as of today, Unilever is not supplying them.

@PaulBrandITV: Brexit just got real. No more Hellmans Mayo or Marmite in Tesco! twitter.com/itvjoel/status…

@PaulBrandITV: Or online at least - still in stores

who will it hurt more Unilever or Tesco ?

few people go to a supermarket just for one product
    Unilever owns over 400 common brands...
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Scott_P said:

@JoannaPartridge: I've been told #Tesco isn't the only major retailer which has been approached by #Unilever, who are demanding 10% price rises across board

sell Unilever
    4king daft.

firstly theyre cutting their sales, then they're doing it by threatening the end user with a price increase.

Brand trashing.
  • Options
    nunu said:

chestnut said:

All three London Mayor's todate have understood the job.

Playing with a train set.
    chestnut said:

Y
    chestnut said:

Its a glorified county council.
    Ditto the Scottish Parliament
  • Options

Scott_P said:

sell Unilever
    4king daft.

firstly theyre cutting their sales, then they're doing it by threatening the end user with a price increase.

Brand trashing.
    The main takeaway is that Tesco are losing the margins fight to Aldi and Lidl.
  • Options
    Paul O’Connell interview: "I wanted to find Alastair Campbell and knock him out on 2005 Lions tour"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2016/10/12/paul-oconnell-interview-i-wanted-to-find-alastair-campbell-and-k/
  • Options

Scott_P said:

@ITVJoel: Unilever told Tesco it wanted to up its prices by 10% due to weak £. Tesco refused and so, as of today, Unilever is not supplying them.

@PaulBrandITV: Brexit just got real. No more Hellmans Mayo or Marmite in Tesco! twitter.com/itvjoel/status…

who will it hurt more Unilever or Tesco ?

few people go to a supermarket just for one product
    Unilever owns over 400 common brands...
    Aldi dont sell any of them
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

And neither do Tesco...
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    New Marquette Law School Poll, Wisconsin likely voters:
    Clinton 44%
    Trump 37%
    Johnson 9%
    Stein 3%
    #MULawPoll
  • Options

Scott_P said:

sell Unilever
    4king daft.

Brand trashing.
    Funny how Aldi havent put their brands up by 10%. Even Cuckoo Clock brands

With Tesco being massacred by Aldi and Lidl there is no way they will tolerate Unilevers demand.

Whats the back story on Unilever?
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    619 said:

New Marquette Law School Poll, Wisconsin likely voters:
    Clinton 44%
    Trump 37%
    Johnson 9%
    Stein 3%
    #MULawPoll

Among likely voters in WI:
    Thursday: Trump 41%, Clinton 40%
    Friday: Clinton 44%, Trump 38%
    Saturday and Sunday: Clinton 49%, Trump 30%
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited October 2016

If May can hold on, perhaps immigration will actually go down naturally in response to a falling pound and uncertainties over residency status:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/12/number-of-eu-workers-coming-to-britain-to-fall-sharply-before-br/

It could well do. There's the pull factor of getting in before the drawbridge is possibly pulled up, against the push factors of the £ is worth less in Zlotys and Lev or whatever, the risk that those arriving post 23rd June will not be granted residency, the much smaller risk that it's ultra hard Brexit and some of those here pre June 23rd are declared illegal ( highly undesirable I might add but not 100% impossible if the EU play serious silly buggers I suppose), And the knowledge that substantial elements of the locals are distinctly dischuffed with the levels of immigration.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Scott_P said:

I believe the ingredients for both of those are sourced from the UK
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

And neither do Tesco...
    should lift tescos market share then
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125

nunu said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

Y
    chestnut said:

Its a glorified county council.
    Ditto the Scottish Parliament
    You hav ebeen listening to that clock again
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

If May can hold on, perhaps immigration will actually go down naturally in response to a falling pound and uncertainties over residency status:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/12/number-of-eu-workers-coming-to-britain-to-fall-sharply-before-br/

An "expert". Very amusing.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

sell Unilever
    4king daft.

Brand trashing.
    Funny how Aldi havent put their brands up by 10%. Even Cuckoo Clock brands

With Tesco being massacred by Aldi and Lidl there is no way they will tolerate Unilevers demand.

Whats the back story on Unilever?
    There's a big Unilever factory next to Warrington Bank Quay station. Not sure if it's their hub.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Florida - Opinion Savvy - Sample 533 - 10-11 Oct

Clinton 47 .. Trump 44

http://opinionsavvy.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/OS-FL-General-10.12.16.pdf
  • Options
    Just heard Anna Soubry's speech at the Brexit debate. Two things really got under my skin, she said, "she hoped the 48% would become the majority" (I presume she means a second referendum?). And she accused older voters of ruining the lives of younger voters.

I hope hell freezes over before this awful woman ever gets back on the front bench. Hopefully, she will defect!
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Jason said:

Is there a current price anywhere for the UK NOT to leave the EU? It's got to be a value bet now. If Jeremy Corbyn is landing blows over Brexit, it's dead in the water.

Highly unlikely. An awful lot of MPs may not like the idea of Brexit, but they know that it has to happen. Were the referendum result to be set aside then it would be hugely damaging and dangerous for democracy. It would convince a great many voters either that they can only get what they want by rejecting all of the establishment parties and veering to the extremes, or that the system is no longer capable of delivering full stop.

This leaves two other, more likely, scenarios. Firstly - and this is what I think is most likely - the courts will throw out the campaigners' attempts to force a Parliamentary vote on A50, in which case the Government will invoke it according to Theresa May's wishes and that will be the end of that. Secondly, if the Government is compelled to ask Parliament for permission, then A50 would almost certainly clear the Commons, but could well be vetoed by the Lords. Were that the case then the Prime Minister would go to the country on a manifesto committing her to Brexit (quite possibly together with the abolition of the Lords or the removal of virtually all of its remaining power,) win a comfortable majority, and then invoke A50 anyway.

I won't be 100% totally convinced that we are leaving until A50 has been triggered. But I'm at about 99.75% at the moment.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Had you down as a Waitrose man, Faisal, I mean Scott :lol:
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Blue_rog said:

Scott_P said:

Isn't Marmite essentially yeast extract left over from brewing? I recall the Magor brewery in Monmoutshire used to supply their old year extract ( I'm going back over 30 years mind).
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    I will judge Khan mainly on one thing. What he does to fight Islamic extremism. If nothing than I wont vote for him (unless Tories run another anti-muslim campaign that is).
  • Options

Just heard Anna Soubry's speech at the Brexit debate. Two things really got under my skin, she said, "she hoped the 48% would become the majority" (I presume she means a second referendum?). And she accused older voters of ruining the lives of younger voters.

I hope hell freezes over before this awful woman ever gets back on the front bench. Hopefully, she will defect!

Anna Sour-by*?

* I didn't invent that, BTW!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,294
    edited October 2016
    A rather balanced article from the Guardian on Tesco's dispute...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/oct/12/tesco-running-low-key-unilever-brands-price-row-supplier-supermarket-falling-pound

Cliffnotes:- Yes increase in costs, but Unilever trying it on. And not the first time Tesco's have told a big firm to go do one, resulting in no product.
  • Options
    @StigAbell: Someone should just shout "stop talking Britain down" and "weak pound is good for exports" until dispute is resolved. That should do it. twitter.com/ITVJoel/status…
  • Options
    What is absolutely clear, is that Damian McBride is back for Labour with a vengeance.
  • Options
    @ITVJoel: According to the supermarket's website, Tesco is out of Ben and Jerry's ice cream, Marmite, Hellmann's Mayonnaise and Colman's Mustard.

Bet they didn't sell much of those...
  • Options

One of the most irritating recent theories is that somehow, the votes of 18-24 year olds count for more than everyone elses'.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Birmingham is very quiet, the Kingdom's second city has only c. 10% of Heathrow's passenger numbers.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Will the £350M a week for the NHS cover the increased cost of Marmite?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2016
    Alistair said:

I am simultaneously android delighted and annoyed by this.

Delighted because it is an excellent description of what was happening. Pissed of because I was in the middle of requesting the data to analyse myself to find this out.

The way the Black vote jumped in such a huge digital step up and down had made me very suspicious of the weighting and number if African Americans in the poll.
    Fantastic analysis.

538 figures the LAT poll is skewed by R+0.6
    NYT is suggesting that should be more like R+3.5
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

One of the most irritating recent theories is that somehow, the votes of 18-24 year olds count for more than everyone elses'.
    Ageism is very fashionable amongst some sections of the population nowadays (usually the same people who hypocritically wail about tidal waves of xenophobia and such like supposedly having been triggered by the referendum vote.) They maintain the pretence of being democrats, but in truth would rather than that electorate consisted entirely of those people who agree with them about everything.

Of course, the votes of the young would have a bit more weight when measured against those of the old, if only the young could be bothered to go out and vote in the same proportions.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Jonathan said:

No, as every household will definitely be £4,300/year worse off, equating to 2,606 125g jars of Marmite at £1.65 each from Tesco.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@ITVJoel: According to the supermarket's website, Tesco is out of Ben and Jerry's ice cream, Marmite, Hellmann's Mayonnaise and Colman's Mustard.

Bet they didn't sell much of those...

"What 85 is trying to tell you is that we ain't got no entertainment centre, no climate control, no video system, no surveillance, no freezers, no f*cking ice cream, no rubbers, no women, no guns. All we got here is shit!"
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    edited October 2016

Jason said:

Is there a current price anywhere for the UK NOT to leave the EU? It's got to be a value bet now. If Jeremy Corbyn is landing blows over Brexit, it's dead in the water.

Highly unlikely. An awful lot of MPs may not like the idea of Brexit, but they know that it has to happen. Were the referendum result to be set aside then it would be hugely damaging and dangerous for democracy. It would convince a great many voters either that they can only get what they want by rejecting all of the establishment parties and veering to the extremes, or that the system is no longer capable of delivering full stop.

This leaves two other, more likely, scenarios. Firstly - and this is what I think is most likely - the courts will throw out the campaigners' attempts to force a Parliamentary vote on A50, in which case the Government will invoke it according to Theresa May's wishes and that will be the end of that. Secondly, if the Government is compelled to ask Parliament for permission, then A50 would almost certainly clear the Commons, but could well be vetoed by the Lords. Were that the case then the Prime Minister would go to the country on a manifesto committing her to Brexit (quite possibly together with the abolition of the Lords or the removal of virtually all of its remaining power,) win a comfortable majority, and then invoke A50 anyway.

I won't be 100% totally convinced that we are leaving until A50 has been triggered. But I'm at about 99.75% at the moment.
    Personally, I think Mrs May is making a major tactical blunder by not forcing the Commons to endorse Brexit.

Labour MPs, whose areas voted overwhelmingly for Brexit, will be faced with a dilemma: back their constituents, and back democracy, or back the EU.

They will - I guarantee - back democracy,

And aside from a few Remainers who won't be standing in 2020, who will oppose it in the Conservative Party? Opposing the will of the people would, in all but a very few cases, be signing their own deselection warrant.

Following a 550-100 vote in the Commons, and a referendum victory the Lords would not stand in the way. Even Paddy Ashdown and Vince Cable say they peoples' voice must be respected.

Most importantly, this ties everyone to Brexit. People cannot walk away from having voted for it in the Commons.

If there is no vote, and if we run into serious economic problems in 2017 or 2018 (and ones that might be nothing to do with Brexit), then the decision will have been widely taken. People will not be able to complain that they would have opposed it.

The biggest threat to Brexit is not the government not invoking Article 50, it is of the government falling between invocation and Brexit, and being replaced - in a General Election - by pro-Europeans. This eliminates that risk.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,091
    And kudos to (I think) Max, who has repeatedly suggested this prospect. Along with some rather political reasoning for it ...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

yes the obnoxious toad who backed ramping up uni fees so that kids leave with £50k of debt is now suddenly worried about them

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Before the referendum Stronger IN claimed that 'leaving the EU meant leaving the single market (from Euro guido).

52% still voted for that.

All that remain love for Keir Starmer. And it turned out he was talking through his ar$e when he said there was no mandate for a hard Brexit.

Still, it was good while is lasted, eh?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Yeah I know that deeply pisses me off. Just like my generation did, they'll age and their views will alter. Freedom to live in Rome, or Paris or whatever and live in Corbyn's la la land might look attractive at 20, but by 35 95%+ of them will be in the UK and freedom of movement will look different as they compete for jobs, as will Corbyn's views on the economy ( welcome to the real world!), security and foreign policy. 'twas ever thus.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Jason said:

This leaves two other, more likely, scenarios. Firstly - and this is what I think is most likely - the courts will throw out the campaigners' attempts to force a Parliamentary vote on A50, in which case the Government will invoke it according to Theresa May's wishes and that will be the end of that. Secondly, if the Government is compelled to ask Parliament for permission, then A50 would almost certainly clear the Commons, but could well be vetoed by the Lords. Were that the case then the Prime Minister would go to the country

Personally, I think Mrs May is making a major tactical blunder by not forcing the Commons to endorse Brexit.

Labour MPs, whose areas voted overwhelmingly for Brexit, will be faced with a dilemma: back their constituents, and back democracy, or back the EU.

And aside from a few Remainers who won't be standing in 2020, who will oppose it in the Conservative Party? Opposing the will of the people would, in all but a very few cases, be signing their own deselection warrant.

Following a 550-100 vote in the Commons, and a referendum victory the Lords would not stand in the way. Even Paddy Ashdown and Vince Cable say they peoples' voice must be respected.

If there is no vote, and if we run into serious economic problems in 2017 or 2018 (and ones that might be nothing to do with Brexit), then the decision will have been widely taken. People will not be able to complain that they would have opposed it.

The biggest threat to Brexit is not the government not invoking Article 50, it is of the government falling between invocation and Brexit, and being replaced - in a General Election - by pro-Europeans. This eliminates that risk.
    Wouldn't a Commons vote on the Repeal Bill do basically the same thing?

I can see the attraction, though. And if the Commons did vote down Article 50, then call an election.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Before the referendum Stronger IN claimed that 'leaving the EU meant leaving the single market (from Euro guido).

52% still voted for that.

All that remain love for Keir Starmer. And it turned out he was talking through his ar$e when he said there was no mandate for a hard Brexit.

Still, it was good while is lasted, eh?

You can't get into "he said, she said". Let us not forget that one of the most prominent Leavers said "A small vote for Leave is not a vote for a big change in our relationship with the EU". That sounds pretty much like promising EEA to me.

All any politician can do is to try and secure the best deal for the next two decades for the people of the UK, and to try and ensure that such a deal satisfies 70% of the voters.

That means immigration controls, but it also probably means the smallest possible change in our trading arrangements that satisfies the immigration control requirement.
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938

Anna Sour-by*?

* I didn't invent that, BTW!
    What I have never been able to understand is the absolute loyalty to the EU project - a "nation" in the making with no common culture, demos, political ideology or even a common purpose.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited October 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Jason said:

This leaves two other, more likely, scenarios. Firstly - and this is what I think is most likely - the courts will throw out the campaigners' attempts to force a Parliamentary vote on A50, in which case the Government will invoke it according to Theresa May's wishes ...ll of its remaining power,) win a comfortable majority, and then invoke A50 anyway.

Personally, I think Mrs May is making a major tactical blunder by not forcing the Commons to endorse Brexit. Labour MPs, whose areas voted overwhelmingly for Brexit, will be faced with a dilemma: back their constituents, and back democracy, or back the EU.
    ..... And aside from a few Remainers who won't be standing in 2020, who will oppose it in the Conservative Party? Opposing the will of the people would, in all but a very few cases, be signing their own deselection warrant. Following a 550-100 vote in the Commons, and a referendum victory the Lords would not stand in the way. .......The biggest threat to Brexit is not the government not invoking Article 50, it is of the government falling between invocation and Brexit, and being replaced - in a General Election - by pro-Europeans. ..
    I agree. The alternative is an early GE in March just to give the voters a chance to endorse Mrs May's Govt. All she needs is a vote on something in the HoC or Lords that goes against her to overturn her intention to wait until GE2020. Better still if by then Labour's NEC reduce the minimum number of MPs required for a Leadership candidate thus ensuring that a hard leftie gets back on the slate for Corbyn's replacement.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

I can see the attraction, though. And if the Commons did vote down Article 50, then call an election.
    I think it should be tied directly to endorsing the referendum vote. Make people stand up and say they've listened to the voice of the people. A straight-up, straight-down motion with no amendments.

This isn't about executive privilege, this about making sure that no-one can later walk away from the decision to leave.
  • Options

48% of people want to stay in the EU. You can't ignore that number.
  • Options

And kudos to (I think) Max, who has repeatedly suggested this prospect. Along with some rather political reasoning for it ...
    At last some competition.
  • Options

48% is smaller than 52% last time I checked ;)
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    welshowl said:

Sean_F said:

Yeah I know that deeply pisses me off. Just like my generation did, they'll age and their views will alter. Freedom to live in Rome, or Paris or whatever and live in Corbyn's la la land might look attractive at 20, but by 35 95%+ of them will be in the UK and freedom of movement will look different as they compete for jobs, as will Corbyn's views on the economy ( welcome to the real world!), security and foreign policy. 'twas ever thus.
    I don't know about votes counting more than others. But the thing that makes this politically salient (if not, yet, politically decisive) is the real evidence of intergenerational inequality, eg Fraser Nelson's recent thing on pension provision (or lack of).

Willets, I think, wrote a book on this a while back.
  • Options

Why not ?

The europhiles ignored the wishes of a majority of brits for decades.

If the result had been the other way round you'd be happily ignoring the 48% of Leavers and saying a win is a win we march on.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

I think it should be tied directly to endorsing the referendum vote. Make people stand up and say they've listened to the voice of the people. A straight-up, straight-down motion with no amendments.

This isn't about executive privilege, this about making sure that no-one can later walk away from the decision to leave.
    They have a perfect right to walk away from the decision if they believe it to be wrong. A referendum doesn't oblige anyone to change their mind or take a vow of silence.

Your plan would compound your initial mistake in thinking that Brexit would be in the control of people who think like you.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Sean_F said:

I'm about to turn 41, but in my 20s I remember being fanatically pro-EU.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I don't know... you'd probably be proven right on the Lords, but I don't trust them. Lack of elections + militant pro-EU cheerleaders = trouble. It also occurs to me that May could be concerned about attempts to prevaricate on Brexit: she might discover that Labour and the rebel Tories respect the will of the people - honest - but that they don't consider the timing of A50 to be right. And that they will continue to argue that it's not right. For a very long time.

I think you make a very good argument for putting A50 to the Commons, but if Mrs May - for her own good reasons - is really determined to avoid going to the country, then this would explain why she therefore does not wish to have a vote on A50 in Parliament. She may feel that the risk of a crisis which would force a dissolution is too great.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,804

She's a very poor loser. Quite unwise.

Many politicians seem to struggle with the result of the referendum. I think the government have recognised that signing article 50 really does deliver on that result, and then we can go from there.

Anyone that rebels against what is an obvious result of the referendum is wrong-headed.

What happens after that signing is much harder to work out. You can't just unsign, but if you so choose you can re-negotiate you can restore much of the framework that leaving the EU will take away.

It's clearly impossible to find anything that the EU has done that we couldn't have done ourselves. Just a question of better from the EU or worse. Most EU policy would be worse for the UK rather than a carefully tailored product, but the wonderful tailoring that we're now allowed as a result of the EU would have been beyond our wildest dreams in the past.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Did Parliament ever vote to endorse Dave's dud deal - the Remain offering?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Corbyn and Labour did a good job today.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited October 2016
    EDIT: I see 619 has already posted this :)

https://twitter.com/JamesDMorris/status/786253451290374144
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Jonathan said:

No, as every household will definitely be £4,300/year worse off, equating to 2,606 125g jars of Marmite at £1.65 each from Tesco.
    The Business interest in this Tesco vs Unilever matter is that Tesco is headed up by Dave Lewis who worked for Unilever for 27 years and understands Unilever better than most of its employees. If he thinks he can hold off Unilever I would back him. One other factor IMHO is that Tesco carry far too many product lines. Dave Lewis when at Unilever reduced one division from circa 1,600 to 400 product lines.
  • Options

Why not ?

If the result had been the other way round you'd be happily ignoring the 48% of Leavers and saying a win is a win we march on.

It depends on what the agreement we can reach will look like. If we can find an absolute majority (through polling) that would support one solution or another, that would help to give it a bit of sticking power and remove some of the controversy from the whole process.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    On C4 News is Keir next to a very tall Kwasi Kwarteng (Conservative MP). Little and Large.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I don't know... you'd probably be proven right on the Lords, but I don't trust them. Lack of elections + militant pro-EU cheerleaders = trouble. It also occurs to me that May could be concerned about attempts to prevaricate on Brexit: she might discover that Labour and the rebel Tories respect the will of the people - honest - but that they don't consider the timing of A50 to be right. And that they will continue to argue that it's not right. For a very long time.

I think you make a very good argument for putting A50 to the Commons, but if Mrs May - for her own good reasons - is really determined to avoid going to the country, then this would explain why she therefore does not wish to have a vote on A50 in Parliament. She may feel that the risk of a crisis which would force a dissolution is too great.
    Mrs May should table a simple motion of support in the Commons - "This house recognises the vote taken on x June, and calls upon the government to invoke Article 50 as soon as is practicable." As it would not be an Act of parliament, merely a motion, there would be no need for it to go through the Lords.
  • Options

Why not ?

Where's the evidence that there would have been a majority for leaving the EU at any point between 1975 and 2015? There wouldn't.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

EDIT: I see 619 has already posted this :)
    https://twitter.com/JamesDMorris "1 black voter alters the poll" NY Times

I am staggered at the basis of some polls in the USA. Perhaps those who attacked Plato over querying some of the USA polls, should re-consider their past comments?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited October 2016
    ''Did Parliament ever vote to endorse Dave's dud deal - the Remain offering? ''

If remain had won by a single vote that would have been taken unequivocally by remainers as a vote for ever closer union, forever.
  • Options

Why not ?

Where's the evidence that there would have been a majority for leaving the EU at any point between 1975 and 2015? There wouldn't.
    But there was one in 2016...
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,804
    Jonathan said:

Corbyn and Labour did a good job today.

Never done a day's work in their lives!

(You really think so?)
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Jobabob said:

I doubt I am the only one to have mentioned it but Ihave not yet read the comments. Pray precisely what has Khan actually done since being elected? I cannot think of anything significant.

Give the guy a chance? He's had less than 5 months, including the summer.
    If you had read the head e r you would have realized it was in response to OGH saying voters thought he was doing well ... g having done approx Zippo so far.
    Except deliver the small matter of the Night Tube – yes it was Boris's project but so badly mismanaged was his launch it was eventually actually delivered under Sadiq. And the new mayor has won the credit of the public for bringing it forward.
    Has he?

Certainly we know that Boris proposed it, the unions blocked it and when Khan came in it finally went ahead. It looks like Khan caved to the unions.

That's before we mention the fare freeze he promised which will disappoint a lot of people in January when it doesn't happen.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited October 2016
    Well the Marquette Wisconsin poll was done completely pre-debate and post tape, so it's useless in telling us what is the situation post-debate.

However there is a post-debate Florida poll:

Opinion Savvy, Florida

Hillary 47
    Trump 44
    Johnson 5
    Stein 1

http://opinionsavvy.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/OS-FL-General-10.12.16.pdf

So nationally it looks like a Hillary lead of about 5.
  • Options

I agree. The alternative is an early GE in March just to give the voters a chance to endorse Mrs May's Govt. All she needs is a vote on something in the HoC or Lords that goes against her to overturn her intention to wait until GE2020. Better still if by then Labour's NEC reduce the minimum number of MPs required for a Leadership candidate thus ensuring that a hard leftie gets back on the slate for Corbyn's replacement.

I actually think that an early election, especially given Mr Corbyn's total unelectability, is a good idea. It would give the government the chance to set out in their manifesto what the relationship with the EU should look like, and then get overwhelming support for that from the country.

The downsides are: (a) it would set back new constituencies two years; (b) it would mean that Labour in 2022 would likely have a more electable leader.

But I believe the advantages - to the country, not just to the Conservative Party - outweigh the disadvantages.
  • Options

Why not ?

Firstly how would you know since you never tested opnion

scondly opinion polls regularly showed majorities for leaving the EU, heres one from 4 years ago

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/nov/17/eu-referendum-poll

Thirdly I note you wont answer the point about having your own rules played back on you. I dont think for a moment you would give a rats shit about the wishes of a large minority of leavers if they had lost.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Ageism is very fashionable amongst some sections of the population nowadays (usually the same people who hypocritically wail about tidal waves of xenophobia and such like supposedly having been triggered by the referendum vote.) They maintain the pretence of being democrats, but in truth would rather than that electorate consisted entirely of those people who agree with them about everything.

Of course, the votes of the young would have a bit more weight when measured against those of the old, if only the young could be bothered to go out and vote in the same proportions.

Spot on - the Tories look after their voters very well. The young should learn from that.

• Options

Why not ?

You may think that it's worth sacrificing the entire country's history on the altar of David Cameron's incompetence but I don't. He messed up; the referendum was not intended to be lost, and the responsible thing would be to play for time while addressing some of the underlying concerns of the people who voted for Leave, before having a rerun in better circumstances.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    taffys said:

''Did Parliament ever vote to endorse Dave's dud deal - the Remain offering? ''

If remain had won by a single vote that would have been taken unequivocally by remainers as a vote for ever closer union, forever.

In a parallel universe, Dave is clinging to power as his deal unravels.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Essexit said:

Jonathan said:

The Business interest in this Tesco vs Unilever matter is that Tesco is headed up by Dave Lewis who worked for Unilever for 27 years and understands Unilever better than most of its employees. If he thinks he can hold off Unilever I would back him. One other factor IMHO is that Tesco carry far too many product lines. Dave Lewis when at Unilever reduced one division from circa 1,600 to 400 product lines.
    Unilever are just leading where others have to follow. It is a worldwide company, with many products sourced abroad, and many products sourced locally are also dependent on imported ingredients, or imported fertilisers/pesticides etc.

As someone famously pointed out, you cannot buck the markets. Supermarkets have been screwing suppliers for years, it takes a large supplier to stand up to them.
  • Options

welshowl said:

Sean_F said:

I don't know about votes counting more than others. But the thing that makes this politically salient (if not, yet, politically decisive) is the real evidence of intergenerational inequality, eg Fraser Nelson's recent thing on pension provision (or lack of).

Willets, I think, wrote a book on this a while back.
    Yes I'm not saying there are not issues, but the premise that an 18yr old's vote is worth more that a 40yr old is bollocks. That said there are things to address on housing in particular ( we need to stop faffing about and build lots more), pensions ( not that 99.9% of 20 yr olds are thinking about that ), and student debt.
  • Options

Why not ?

You may think that it's worth sacrificing the entire country's history on the altar of David Cameron's incompetence but I don't. He messed up; the referendum was not intended to be lost, and the responsible thing would be to play for time while addressing some of the underlying concerns of the people who voted for Leave, before having a rerun in better circumstances.
    Sore Loser-man :lol:
  • Options

Why not ?

Here are 3 quickly found.

England 9–16 September 2015, R 40% , L43% DK17% 1,712 YouGov
    England & Wales 26 June–3 July 2015, R42%, L43% DK15% 956 Panelbase/Sunday Times
    UK 4–7 November 2014 R40% L43% DK17% 1,707 Opinium/The Observer
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Spot on - the Tories look after their voters very well. The young should learn from that.

Name a successful party of government that doesn't even try to look after their voters.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

the referendum was not intended to be lost

Epic.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

This Brexit is a bit tricky for Labour. Most of their MPs are Remainers, but some have voters who are mainly Leavers.

What do they do to look involved? Demand to see all the discussion plans - "It's my Parliamentary right." Then what? "Ah, we'll... er ... er... er... delay them."

Goodbye majority.

It's all a political game. The nation has decided we're leaving. The Government will implement it. We'll vote on the job they've done at the next election. No use Labour jumping up and down, shouting "Please, miss, may I look please? I promise I won't get it dirty."

"No you stupid boy, sit down."
  • Options

Essexit said:

Jonathan said:

Unilever are just leading where others have to follow. It is a worldwide company, with many products sourced abroad, and many products sourced locally are also dependent on imported ingredients, or imported fertilisers/pesticides etc.

As someone famously pointed out, you cannot buck the markets. Supermarkets have been screwing suppliers for years, it takes a large supplier to stand up to them.
    Even if all the raw materials had been sourced outside the UK, any products made in UK would justify only a 1% to 2% price rise so far. It looks more like Unilever trying to get the same amount of cash out of its UK division to compensate for the currency fluctuation in what is remitted to Unilever Inc.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,994

Why not ?

You are Jean Claude Juncker and I claim my five quid.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Name a successful party of government that doesn't even try to look after their voters.
    Labour 2010 - 2016........ oh sorry I missed the words "successful party of government"
  • Options

Why not ?

Really?

Rerun it - Remain will get the hammering it deserves. Project fear is dead and buried.
  • Options

the referendum was not intended to be lost

Epic.
    It's just a statement of fact. Cameron used the referendum as nothing more than a tactic to manage splits in his own party.
  • Options

Why not ?

Yes but we weren't allowed a say were we? Our birthright was salamied away step by step. The one time we were promised s vote on the Constitution Blair weaseled his way out of it, and put Hain on the box to insult us all by saying it was a "tidying up exercise". If we'd actually been allied a vote we might've modified the "project", but no - not allowed, we plough on. Till one day we got a chance to express the will of the people pent up over decades and pulled the whole house down partly because some of us saw it as the only bloody chance we'd ever ever get to express our opposition riveting sucked bit by bit into a "USE" I was genuinely persuadable but the Europhiles snatched defeat from the jaws of endless possibilities of victory,
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Just de-lurking momentarily to congratulate William Glenn on his hilarious posting. Great comedy.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

Essexit said:

Jonathan said:

If Sainsbury's and Asda refuse the price rise Unilever will be out of 60% of the UK market. The reason Tesco have leaked this is to clear the way for Sainsbury's and Asda to follow suit. By the end of next week Unilever will have climb down or settle for 2-3%.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

This Brexit is a bit tricky for Labour. Most of their MPs are Remainers, but some have voters who are mainly Leavers.

What do they do to look involved? Demand to see all the discussion plans - "It's my Parliamentary right." Then what? "Ah, we'll... er ... er... er... delay them."

Goodbye majority.

It's all a political game. The nation has decided we're leaving. The Government will implement it. We'll vote on the job they've done at the next election. No use Labour jumping up and down, shouting "Please, miss, may I look please? I promise I won't get it dirty."

At a time when UKIP are in existential crisis, how nice of Labour MPs to throw them an EU lifeline.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Blue_rog said:

Scott_P said:

It looks like Tesco think Unilever are profiteering. If you're right, they might have a point.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    CD13 said:

Goodbye majority.

It's the same but worse situation with Tory MP's.
    Around 1/3rd are Remainers but their Tory voters are even more overwhelmingly Leavers.
  • Options

Why not ?

You williamglenn may think that it's worth sacrificing the entire country's sovereignty on the altar of the federal state of the EU but I don't.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Why not ?

Here's a Euro instead. We'll be even soon enough.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,091

At last some competition.
    Urrrm, no.

I believe Max's point (if it was he) is that Gatwick would be given the nod along with Heathrow to placate Gatwick's fans, but they wouldn't be able to raise the funding if Heathrow got the nod as well.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,994

RobD said:

Why not ?

Here's a Euro instead. We'll be even soon enough.
    You're predicting £5 = 1 euro? :D

But yes, your comments about 'having a rerun in better circumstances' are exactly what you'd expect from the eurocrats.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

CD13 said:

Goodbye majority.

It's the same but worse situation with Tory MP's.
    Around 1/3rd are Remainers but their Tory voters are even more overwhelmingly Leavers.
    2/3 of the Tory members are for LEAVE. (source multiple ConHome surveys). The Remoaning Tory MPs reselections are going to be difficult the more they oppose the Govt.
This discussion has been closed.