Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Initial WH2016 early voting analysis suggests that fewer Regis

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,838
    Speedy said:

Anybody left thinking Trump can win this? It's over.

I always give him a 10% chance to win, lets see.

There is talk that the democrats are due for another panic with the polls next week.

And there is talk that they will release another tape sometime between the 15th and election day, though if it's as dull as this tape released today then Trump would be very lucky:

http://extratv.com/2016/10/11/what-you-didnt-see-when-donald-trump-made-his-days-of-our-lives-cameo/
    Around 10% sounds about right to me, too.

The entertainment - and electoral interest - will likely be provided by the war breaking out between the Republicans and Trumpians.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited October 2016
    Some bloke called david cameron is writing in the telegraph tomorrow. Never heard of the guy, is he somebody famous?

David Cameron: I've found my first job after politics, building the Big Society
    DAVID CAMERON

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/11/david-cameron-ive-found-my-first-job-after-politics-building-the/
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MrHarryCole: EXC: PM gagged Boris from backing new Royal Yacht in conference speech. No10 removed praise for Brexit trade plan: thesun.co.uk/news/1957136/b…
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Milwaukee has so far had to reject 400 absentee ballots for failure of witness to provide full address

Michael McDonald added,

Repubs are gonna cheat in Wisconsin.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

Huzzah for the cabinet and putting Red Theresa in her place.

Senior cabinet ministers have rebelled against Theresa May’s plan to put workers on company boards, with one predicting that “it is not going to happen”

https://www.ft.com/content/fbcc1bc6-8f0b-11e6-8df8-d3778b55a923

Tory conference announcements dropping faster than the pound against the dollar..
    Just had a brainwave. Theresa is scaring the living shit out of the Forex markets and big businesses on purpose. Lots of negative headlines about hard Brexit = soft Brexit.
  • Options

Hammond - a serious, grown-up man who has done his time in the real world - must look across the cabinet table at the likes of Fox, Davis and Johnson and think WTF. I don't like his politics but I thank God he is there to at least try to prevent the utter mediocrities taking over the asylum.

No Chancellor is going to give up billions of pounds in tax revenue without a fight.

As I say, I don't agree with him too often, but I've always liked him. He's smart and understands the real world - having spent much of his life in it. Very glad he's there.

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    nunu said:

Milwaukee has so far had to reject 400 absentee ballots for failure of witness to provide full address

Michael McDonald added,

Paul Ryan is going to stop Trump from winning Wisconsin.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    nunu said:

For Ryan or for Trump?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Jobabob said:

No doubt the three women economists that commented on the Sterling crash on BBC Ten will be dismissed as 'young girls down in London' by the Brexiteers

Grieving remoaners.

Yes, they will also be dismissed as that!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146

Some bloke called david cameron is writing in the telegraph tomorrow. Never heard of the guy, is he somebody famous?

DAVID CAMERON

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/11/david-cameron-ive-found-my-first-job-after-politics-building-the/

Sorry, was that selling the Big Issue?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    Ally_B said:

Tragic

Key government adviser says leaving EU customs union will cost UK £25bn

Raoul Ruparel made the analysis prior to being appointed by David Davis to lend expertise on leaving the EU

The British economy will be hit by a “permanent cost” of more than £25bn if it decides to withdraw from the EU customs union, the government’s new key adviser on Brexit has said.

Raoul Ruparel, who has been hired by David Davis to provide expertise on the process of leaving the EU, said he believed there was no question over the UK staying inside Europe’s free trade bloc.

But he admitted that leaving the customs union, inside which EU countries negotiate trade deals collectively and set common external tariffs, would reduce GDP by between 1 and 1.2% in the long term.

Ruparel’s comments, made before he was appointed to the senior government position, could provide ammunition for Labour MPs who have challenged the government’s trade secretary, Liam Fox, to prove the benefits of such a move.

Yet More partial reporting by both the Guardian and TSE - who never misses an opportunity to talk down Brexit even for the most fatuous of reasons.
    No fatuous reasons required. No one with more than a few brain cells should have believed that Brexit would be anything other than financially disastrous for this country. I accept arguments like we will get freedom but then "freedom's just another word when there's nothing left to lose" and that isn't the case here for the majority living here. I hope that sooner rather than later the older generation, of which I am one, suffer the financial pain that is being inflicted on the majority. So we are set to lose between £25bn and £66bn per year? Take it off pensioners now, scrap the triple lock and make those who voted Leave appreciate what they have inflicted on us.
    I don't think even you believe that rot.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051

tyson said:

Senior cabinet ministers have rebelled against Theresa May’s plan to put workers on company boards, with one predicting that “it is not going to happen”

It was a silly tokenistic policy anyhow. Much like May's little gesture to Grammar Schools whose impact will be minuscule, or Brexit is Brexit. which means.......????

May could quickly prove to have the substance of an ice lolly on a hot summer's day.
    She's a pound shop Gordon Brown
    She might say...she likes The Muse...that would change everything.

Sadly, and I say sadly in all seriousness, I have rather grown very fond of Tom Watson because of his Glastonbury Tweets last year. And yes...I am that shallow, maybe even more so...

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

David Davis accuses the Treasury of sabotaging the Brexit talks according to the front page of tomorrow's Telegraph

Could Theresa May beat John Major's 45%->29% slide in the ICM poll as her government unravels?
    I think the polls are more likely to move in the opposite direction. Tories could be on 50% and Labour on 20% before long.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,607
    Speedy said:

I always give him a 10% chance to win, lets see.

There is talk that the democrats are due for another panic with the polls next week.

And there is talk that they will release another tape sometime between the 15th and election day, though if it's as dull as this tape released today then Trump would be very lucky:

http://extratv.com/2016/10/11/what-you-didnt-see-when-donald-trump-made-his-days-of-our-lives-cameo/
    The only thing stopping Trump collapsing to the vote he deserves - about 0.5% - is the awfulness of Clinton.

Walter Mondale would be on 60% against Trump.
  • Options

DAVID CAMERON

Fair play he has taken the Presidency of a charity and we not receive ANY payment
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    52% Leave/Independence - one common goal.

48% Remain - split how many ways? Three? Four? Five?

People really need to learn from Scotland. It's over.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,442
    tyson said:

tyson said:

It was a silly tokenistic policy anyhow. Much like May's little gesture to Grammar Schools whose impact will be minuscule, or Brexit is Brexit. which means.......????

May could quickly prove to have the substance of an ice lolly on a hot summer's day.

Sadly, and I say sadly in all seriousness, I have rather grown very fond of Tom Watson because of his Glastonbury Tweets last year. And yes...I am that shallow, maybe even more so...

May is an Abba fan. She enjoys 70s music. Corbyn wants us to all go and live back there.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    We can start with London visas. And we can count baristas and waitresses as skilled. Thanks.
  • Options

tyson said:

TSE is a pound-shop Mike Smithson

*runs and hides*
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

tyson said:

*runs and hides*
    That statement is actually accurate.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

David Davis accuses the Treasury of sabotaging the Brexit talks according to the front page of tomorrow's Telegraph

Could Theresa May beat John Major's 45%->29% slide in the ICM poll as her government unravels?
    I think the polls are more likely to move in the opposite direction. Tories could be on 50% and Labour on 20% before long.
    I met with a Corbynite friend earlier for a couple of pre meal, sneaky swifties......and even he, the most loyal, ideological headbanger, is getting frustrated, particularly at Jezza's inability to leverage his 2nd vote in any meaningful way.

OK: my friend's not to going to vote Tory, but it is a sign that Corbyn may quickly frustrate his band of followers.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,096
    *Anecdote Alert*

Currently having dinner in Newcastle with our company's sales representatives from the EU. Interestingly most of them blame David Cameron for Brexit. They say he shouldn't have called a referendum just for his party's benefit.
  • Options

Jeremy Corbyn is no John Smith
    Exactly. Did Labour have a half-decent leader the Conservatives would be in trouble.
    As it is, the proverbial donkey with a red rosette is no longer proverbial, he is actually leading the party.
  • Options
    The Poundshop will be one of the earliest victims of the Brexit devaluation.
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

May is an Abba fan. She enjoys 70s music. Corbyn wants us to all go and live back there.
    So I have two reasons to like Mrs May

1) She's an ABBA fan

2) She's probably buggered up new grammar schools
  • Options
    Ally_B said:

Tragic

Raoul Ruparel made the analysis prior to being appointed by David Davis to lend expertise on leaving the EU

The British economy will be hit by a “permanent cost” of more than £25bn if it decides to withdraw from the EU customs union, the government’s new key adviser on Brexit has said.

Raoul Ruparel, who has been hired by David Davis to provide expertise on the process of leaving the EU, said he believed there was no question over the UK staying inside Europe’s free trade bloc.

But he admitted that leaving the customs union, inside which EU countries negotiate trade deals collectively and set common external tariffs, would reduce GDP by between 1 and 1.2% in the long term.

Ruparel’s comments, made before he was appointed to the senior government position, could provide ammunition for Labour MPs who have challenged the government’s trade secretary, Liam Fox, to prove the benefits of such a move.

Yet More partial reporting by both the Guardian and TSE - who never misses an opportunity to talk down Brexit even for the most fatuous of reasons.
    No fatuous reasons required. No one with more than a few brain cells should have believed that Brexit would be anything other than financially disastrous for this country. I accept arguments like we will get freedom but then "freedom's just another word when there's nothing left to lose" and that isn't the case here for the majority living here. I hope that sooner rather than later the older generation, of which I am one, suffer the financial pain that is being inflicted on the majority. So we are set to lose between £25bn and £66bn per year? Take it off pensioners now, scrap the triple lock and make those who voted Leave appreciate what they have inflicted on us.
    LOL. I see there are still some diehard Eurofanatic luncatics out there apart from Tyson and TSE.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Yet another arch Europhile unable to accept reality.

I suppose that could refer to either Scott or Mike really.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited October 2016

The Telegraph: The City exodus is already happening. It just doesn’t look like you expect it to. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwn8nG9C8

That's a very good article.
    It is. I'd take issue with the headline though. Incremental change and investment decisions meaning growth occurs outside The UK was always the risk with brexit. Evolution not revolution. It's not absolute decline but relative decline. The critical mass point though is an interesting one and were it not for the excesses of US regulators (Dodd-Frank is not your friend) then a reassertion of NY would seem likely. Instead there's likely to be an increased financial and time cost of transacting financial business.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

chestnut said:

Jobabob said:

No doubt the three women economists that commented on the Sterling crash on BBC Ten will be dismissed as 'young girls down in London' by the Brexiteers

Grieving remoaners.

The remainer's are out in force tonight and seem to think TM is going to become very unpopular. I would warn them not to underestimate Theresa May and watch as her popularity rises with each attempt to prevent the return of sovereignty to our Country.

Spain were saying tonight that there are very close bonds between out two Countries and an amicable divorce will happen as we are too important a country for the relationship to be adversely effected
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

So I have two reasons to like Mrs May

1) She's an ABBA fan

She is also a fan of Test cricket.
  • Options

Another mess left by Osborne.

"George Osborne's pension reforms will backfire and end up costing the taxpayer billions of pounds more every year as people stop saving for their retirement, the official Treasury watchdog has warned.
    The Office for Budget Responsibility said the removal of tax relief on pensions for higher earners - billed as a move to save money - will ultimately end up costing the Exchequer £5 billion a year."
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/11/governments-draconian-pension-reforms-have-backfired-experts-war/

Oh don't say that. You will make TSE cry if you attack his hero.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    As regards further rumbles to come, the next angle of attack against Trump perhaps is just why the guy is in the Russians' pocket.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,488

"George Osborne's pension reforms will backfire and end up costing the taxpayer billions of pounds more every year as people stop saving for their retirement, the official Treasury watchdog has warned.
    The Office for Budget Responsibility said the removal of tax relief on pensions for higher earners - billed as a move to save money - will ultimately end up costing the Exchequer £5 billion a year."
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/11/governments-draconian-pension-reforms-have-backfired-experts-war/

I am not convinced. I don't think people will stop saving for retirement, particularly the very high earners who are the subject of the article. And many of them probably max out their ISAs every year already.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147

Ally_B said:

Tragic

LOL. I see there are still some diehard Eurofanatic luncatics out there apart from Tyson and TSE.
    The biggest loonies are those who thought Brexit would be just a swift move to EEA membership with no economic shock at all.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    It seems to me Clinton is willing to give up the chance for an Electoral landslide to try and flip the senate.

She has 3 campagin events scheduled for New Hampshire on here site 2 tomorrow and 1 on Thursday. Clinton has NH in the bag but there's a competitive senate race there. Michelle Obmam could be deployed elsewhere if they were worried about the EV.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

The Poundshop will be one of the earliest victims of the Brexit devaluation.

Yebut, all imported items will cost more for all retailers. Poundshop's lower overheads might mean it will still have an edge in pricing.

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,096

Jobabob said:

chestnut said:

Jobabob said:

Grieving remoaners.

The remainer's are out in force tonight and seem to think TM is going to become very unpopular. I would warn them not to underestimate Theresa May and watch as her popularity rises with each attempt to prevent the return of sovereignty to our Country.

Spain were saying tonight that there are very close bonds between out two Countries and an amicable divorce will happen as we are too important a country for the relationship to be adversely effected
    My Spanish colleague was saying that people are worried that the rich British pensioners will go home...
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    £25bn.....on a near £2TN economy.

The official term for that amount is 'fuck all' isn't it?
  • Options
    edited October 2016

The National: UK risks losing billions in post-Brexit investment, warns EU development bank. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw8JfQ_jE

On the other hand, that's a silly article. Who cares if, for policy reasons, the EIB invests in the UK or not? There's plenty of dosh sloshing around the world looking for good projects to fund, and much of it is sloshing through London. The problem isn't finding people who want to fund things, it's finding projects worth funding.
    EIB funding isn't particularly cheap. Lots of bureaucratic strings attached as well.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,838
    How could Clinton have rejected "We will build not the partisan ships" ?
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/10/11/roy_spence_s_hillary_clinton_slogans_not_great_bob.html
    Best campaign slogan ever.
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

I want to go back to the 70's...Grease, Jaws, bowl head hair cuts, flairs, crappy porno mags you found in the park with the pages all stuck together, 3 TV channels that finished at midnight with a test card.....and Abba, don't forget Love Thy Neighbour and Carry on Movies....

Can we go back there please. I'd press that reverse button in a heart beat
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Y0kel said:

As regards further rumbles to come, the next angle of attack against Trump perhaps is just why the guy is in the Russians' pocket.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/us/cash-flowed-to-clinton-foundation-as-russians-pressed-for-control-of-uranium-company.html?_r=0
  • Options
    tyson said:

AndyJS said:

I met with a Corbynite friend earlier for a couple of pre meal, sneaky swifties......and even he, the most loyal, ideological headbanger, is getting frustrated, particularly at Jezza's inability to leverage his 2nd vote in any meaningful way.

OK: my friend's not to going to vote Tory, but it is a sign that Corbyn may quickly frustrate his band of followers.
    I'm now of the view that if Labour found a decent unity candidate from the soft left or sane left, they could remove Corbyn. I would grudingly accept Lewis or even Thornberry if it meant Jesmondo was out on his ear.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    The UK holds 16% of the EIB share capital - but receives just 8.8% of the funding. The Europeans are worried we will pull out, substantially reducing european handouts.
  • Options

tyson said:

*runs and hides*
    Speedy said:

tyson said:

*runs and hides*
    That statement is actually accurate.
    What a pair of charmers you two are.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

"Chickenfeed" - Boris :)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Govt losing control of Brexit?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

I'm now of the view that if Labour found a decent unity candidate from the soft left or sane left, they could remove Corbyn. I would grudingly accept Lewis or even Thornberry if it meant Jesmondo was out on his ear.
    Thornberry - really - bring it on
  • Options

The National: UK risks losing billions in post-Brexit investment, warns EU development bank. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw8JfQ_jE

On the other hand, that's a silly article. Who cares if, for policy reasons, the EIB invests in the UK or not? There's plenty of dosh sloshing around the world looking for good projects to fund, and much of it is sloshing through London. The problem isn't finding people who want to fund things, it's finding projects worth funding.
    Indeed there is no shortage of money. Indeed the UK share capital in the EIB s bigger than the land it receives from it. The question is whether any non EU actor in the UK will take over the role of investing in this sort of stuff ? The EIB role in UK is easierly replicable. But will it be replicated ?
    Yes. Which projects which have revived funding do you think could not have obtained commercial debt (bank or capital markets)?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Learn what from Scotland?
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    weejonnie said:

Y0kel said:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/us/cash-flowed-to-clinton-foundation-as-russians-pressed-for-control-of-uranium-company.html?_r=0
    That's nothing.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

The UK holds 16% of the EIB share capital - but receives just 8.8% of the funding. The Europeans are worried we will pull out Brexiteers are grasping at straws for a bargaining chip.

Good point.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

They were never in control of it.
  • Options

TSE in Public School Thicko mode :lol:
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

They never had control...
  • Options

Why do you think I draw attention to it?
    :innocent:
  • Options

Jonathan said:

TSE = TINO

*dives for cover*
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Scott_P said:
    We can start with London visas. And we can count baristas and waitresses as skilled. Thanks.
    Pushes button on automated coffee machine in Starbucks or Nero or Costa. Is skilled only in button pressing and flirting with desperate customers.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Speedy said:

Let me guess, Hammond.

I think this rivalry between Hammond and May is going to cause a lot of trouble for the government.
    Clarkson to the rescue?
    Definitely one for the PB banned list.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Probably just a faulty macro in a Treasury spreadsheet where the link has broken down.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    chestnut said:

It's not nothing, but in the grand scheme of things these differences in outcomes become almost meaningless over the medium to long term. Take the Treasury forecasts, if the worst case was 31% growth by 2030, and remaining was 37%, whichever outcome occurred the country would be far better off than we are now.

Besides that we have bigger fish to fry, I wish we'd spend some serious effort on the UK's productivity, but that doesn't sell newspapers and so our dozy leaders are not spending much time thinking about it.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405
    chestnut said:

And thank god you are not running the country.

It has only just begun.
  • Options
    matt said:

Jobabob said:

Scott_P said:
    Pushes button on automated coffee machine in Starbucks or Nero or Costa. Is skilled only in button pressing and flirting with desperate customers.
    There's much more skill in steaming milk properly than in pulling a pint.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

She would still lose, but anything is better than the Corbonaut
  • Options

Jonathan said:

TSE = TINO
    *dives for cover*
    What is wrong with TINA?
  • Options

Speedy said:

Let me guess, Hammond.

I think this rivalry between Hammond and May is going to cause a lot of trouble for the government.
    Clarkson to the rescue?
    Definitely one for the PB banned list.
    Added.
  • Options

Please my hero is David Cameron, though my forthcoming piece assessing Cameron's legacy will see me removed from Dave's Christmas card list this year
  • Options
    matt said:

Jobabob said:

Scott_P said:
    Skills that many people appreciate!
  • Options

Jonathan said:

TSE = TINO
    *dives for cover*
    What is wrong with TINA?
    "Only" begins with an O!
  • Options
    edited October 2016

chestnut said:

The UK holds 16% of the EIB share capital - but receives just 8.8% of the funding. The Europeans are worried we will pull out Brexiteers are grasping at straws for a bargaining chip.

Good point.
    Fair play for trying. Very plucky of you.

Der Spiegel, hardly pro-Brexit

Brexit could also lead to painful shortfalls for the European Investment Bank (EIB), Kullas calculated. If the British were to withdraw their share capital in the development bank, it would result in a shortfall worth billions. The EIB would be forced to make fewer loans -- loans that are vital for infrastructure projects across the Continent.

According to Kullas, the British have thus far borne the greatest burden at the bank. Their share of total capital is 16 percent, but they only benefit from 8.8 percent of the loans. No other country has a larger imbalance.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Y0kel said:

Same as Le Pen and UKIP. No suprise.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

It seems to me Clinton is willing to give up the chance for an Electoral landslide to try and flip the senate.

She has 3 campagin events scheduled for New Hampshire on here site 2 tomorrow and 1 on Thursday. Clinton has NH in the bag but there's a competitive senate race there. Michelle Obmam could be deployed elsewhere if they were worried about the EV.

Makes sense, her Presidency and SCOTUS approval will be much smoother if they control the Senate.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405
    edited October 2016
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

She has a soothingly mellifluous voice.

It articulates utter bollocks but I find it very pleasing to listen to. And of course as you say it manages to speak more sense than Jezza.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Jonathan said:

That's the main news story of the day, as the bedwetting hysteria of both the Express and the Mail front pages shows.

Give me Parliamentary democracy but not yet.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

I want to go back to the 70's...Grease, Jaws, bowl head hair cuts, flairs, crappy porno mags you found in the park with the pages all stuck together, 3 TV channels that finished at midnight with a test card.....and Abba, don't forget Love Thy Neighbour and Carry on Movies....

Can we go back there please. I'd press that reverse button in a heart beat
    I was watching "Carry on at Your Convenience" on ITV 3 on Sunday. One of the best.

Very much the Seventies as I remember it. Plenty of bottom pinching and wandering hands too. Plato and the Donald would be in clover.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,488
    "What drove Leavers was, we are also told, “the principle that decisions about the UK should be taken in the UK”. The currency markets demonstrate the emptiness of that principle. Britain’s EU partners are about to do the same. The premise of the Leave campaign was false: a host of decisions that affect the UK will always be taken outside it. But this truth is unlikely to stop the train towards a complete Brexit from departing on its timetabled journey. Stopping it would take a miracle, or rather a crisis. Is that likely? No. Is it possible? Yes."

martin.wolf@ft.com
  • Options

Jonathan said:

TSE = TINO

*dives for cover*
    You'd probably still think you were in control of Brexit even as they loaded you onto the next ship to Mumbai...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

It's a philosophical question as to whether one can lose control of something that one never had control of in the first place.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,017
    Philip_Thompson of this parish spoke on the previous thread about Brexit vs ERM. Whilst he was unsurprisingly wrong, the comparison is interesting. The numbers are below: I'll discuss it in the next post

ERM
    ===

THE WEEK OF ERM FALLOUT
    14 Sep 1992: 1 GBP=1.891003 USD
    15 Sep 1992: 1 GBP=1.895997 USD
    16 Sep 1992: 1 GBP=1.851102 USD (T=0)
    17 Sep 1992: 1 GBP=1.767006 USD
    18 Sep 1992: 1 GBP=1.753498 USD

ONE WEEK AFTER
    19 Sep 1992: 1 GBP=1.753498 USD (T=+7days)

THE MONTHS AFTER
    10 Oct 1992: 1 GBP=1.698703 USD (T=+01mth approx)
    10 Nov 1992: 1 GBP=1.514998 USD (T=+02mth approx)
    10 Dec 1992: 1 GBP=1.557196 USD (T=+03mth approx)
    10 Jan 1993: 1 GBP=1.527005 USD (T=+04mth approx)
    10 Feb 1993: 1 GBP=1.436995 USD (T=+05mth approx)
    10 Mar 1993: 1 GBP=1.433502 USD (T=+06mth approx)
    10 Apr 1993: 1 GBP=1.518502 USD (T=+07mth approx)
    10 May 1993: 1 GBP=1.551505 USD (T=+08mth approx)
    10 Jun 1993: 1 GBP=1.512198 USD (T=+09mth approx)
    10 Jul 1993: 1 GBP=1.481999 USD (T=+10mth approx)
    10 Aug 1993: 1 GBP=1.485696 USD (T=+11mth approx)
    10 Sep 1993: 1 GBP=1.544507 USD (T=+12mth approx)

REFERENDUM
    ==========

THE WEEK OF THE REFERENDUM
    20 Jun 2016: 1 GBP=1.464556 USD
    21 Jun 2016: 1 GBP=1.474041 USD
    22 Jun 2016: 1 GBP=1.469275 USD
    23 Jun 2016: 1 GBP=1.486912 USD (T=0)
    24 Jun 2016: 1 GBP=1.370402 USD

ONE WEEK AFTER
    30 Jun 2016: 1 GBP=1.343255 USD

THE MONTHS AFTER
    10 Jul 2016: 1 GBP=1.298640 USD (T=+01mth approx)
    10 Aug 2016: 1 GBP=1.307443 USD (T=+02mth approx)
    10 Sep 2016: 1 GBP=1.332576 USD (T=+03mth approx)
    10 Oct 2016: 1 GBP=1.239036 USD (T=+04mth approx)

Sources: http://fxtop.com/en/currency-converter-past.php
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

There must be someone outside the North London elite who could make a reasonable leader.

Also where is Corbyn and the 'stop the war' coalition demonstrating outside the Russian Embassy as noted by Boris at the dispatch box today
  • Options

Jonathan said:

TSE = TINO

*dives for cover*
    You'd probably still think you were in control of Brexit even as they loaded you onto the next ship to Mumbai...
    Sorry, why Mumbai?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

chestnut said:

Learn what from Scotland?
    That a group unified around one goal will wipe the floor with several groups that loathe each other and are divided.

Does anyone here envisage Labour supporters rallying around an Osborne Remain Party, or City bankers falling in behind a Corbyn one?
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    The shit is beginning to hit the fan folks...

http://news.sky.com/story/fuel-prices-to-soar-by-5p-a-litre-within-weeks-after-pound-slump-10612999

Inflation is going to be a huge political hot potato over the next year or so ...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

It articulates utter bollocks but I find it very pleasing to listen to. And of course as you say it manages to speak more sense than Jezza.
    Yes she does have a nice voice, agreed!
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Jonathan said:

TSE = TINO

*dives for cover*
    No... I think TSE is a COT......a Cameron and Osborne Tory. It's a newly evolved species that has recently been discovered after 23rd June in the English Shires. They are really quite sweet and loveable creatures that could have something of a snappy bite.
  • Options
    Front page of The Times, - Liam Byrne was ready to throw himself over a cliff because of the there is no money letter
  • Options

Jobabob said:

chestnut said:

Jobabob said:

Grieving remoaners.

TM has a problem with the Remainers inside Govt that are carrying on fighting Project Fear. The question is, what is she going to do about them? When two factions fight a battle which is won by one side, it is not wise to leave all the losers in positions of power festering away, bitter about their defeat. Only those that can accept defeat and move on should be allowed to stay, but in the case of Brexit, there are far too many still in place and all the Treasury servants who fed the project fear beast with their dubious spreadsheets. Mrs May needs to clean house, but will she act quickly enough? Her best bet may be a GE in the short term and then have a clear out.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

TOPPING said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

Yes she does have a nice voice, agreed!
    Pervert :)
  • Options
    @faisalislam: "massive Government u-turn" one Conservative MP tells me of the surprise last minute amendment to Labour motion.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,799

All over bar the groping

• Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    Alistair said:

from what i gather, the private polling is even worse for trump than the public polling. She can afford to take advantage of the Trump vs republican feud to nake her first presidency easier. Trump doesnt have anything in his bag at the moment to take her on, he is relying on assange, Putin or sudden illness to stop her at the moment
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: "massive Government u-turn" one Conservative MP tells me of the surprise last minute amendment to Labour motion.

What amendment??
  • Options
    tyson said:

Jonathan said:

TSE = TINO

*dives for cover*
    No... I think TSE is a COT......a Cameron and Osborne Tory. It's a newly evolved species that has recently been discovered after 23rd June in the English Shires. They are really quite sweet and loveable creatures that could have something of a snappy bite.
    I've been a Tory long before Dave and George became MPs, let alone leaders.

One of the reasons I'm a Tory is that I'm a passionate believer in free trade, just like Thatcher was.

Am loving that many leave Tories at conference last week agreed with me.
  • Options
    All those wot voted REMAIN should personally stump up for any continued EU Protection Money Membership Fees, should the need arise.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Where is the NHS going to get its extra £350 million a week from now?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,017
    (note to self so I can find this post)

OK, so why are the figures below interesting? Because it appears that Brexit is tracking Black Wednesday, at least proportionately.

In the 4 months from ERM fallout we dropped from 1.851102 to 1.527005, a fall of 32 cents or 18%. The low point was reached 6 months after ERM fallout at 1.433502, a fall of 41 cents or 23%

In the 4 months from Brexit we dropped from 1.486912 to 1.239036, a fall of 25 cents or 17%. If Brexit continues to track ERM, we should hit low point of 1.14 in two months time, a fall of 34 cents or 23%

So if we hit £=$1.14 before December 10th, Brexit is worse than ERM, proportionately speaking. If we stay above it, then Brexit is better.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

There must be someone outside the North London elite who could make a reasonable leader.

Also where is Corbyn and the 'stop the war' coalition demonstrating outside the Russian Embassy as noted by Boris at the dispatch box today
    Well quite. Well pointed out
This discussion has been closed.