Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As we move to the crucial second Trump-Clinton debate the live

2»

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2016
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Could Johnson appear in the third debate if his polling goes up?

15% average is the polling cut off, could happen if this drags on.
    I thought it was too late for all of that. That it had to be an average in a set of polls that were taken weeks ago?
    The third debate is still 10 days away.
    Yes, but I was under the impression that the polls that counted for the 15% average were taken weeks ago and current ones didn't count.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194

Dear Lord. Why the hell didn't Jeb or Christie pull this out of the archives?
    She also features with him in this picture:

http://images.dailykos.com/images/296347/large/donald-ivanka.jpg?1473134913

...in an article in the Daily Kos which is well worth reading, in particular on how Donald Trump entrusted his 14-year-old daughter to John Casablancas, a man whose sexual interest in underage girls was by then public knowledge.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

I thought it was too late for all of that. That it had to be an average in a set of polls that were taken weeks ago?
    Is Johnson on the ballot in all states?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,257
    619 said:

619 said:

619 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Wikileaks
    We have published 1% of the #PodestaEmails so far. Additional publications will proceed throughout the election period.

no one cares. The NBC Trump tapes will take precedence
    Isn't Wikileaks now part of the Russian government? Or did I mishear something earlier?
    us intelligence released a report saying that russia are forging documents and using wikileaks as there method for worldwide distibution
    Well with the Clinton Wall Street speeches the solution is fairly simple. She can just release them all herself.
    yeah. Clinton is really in trouble.

or she could just say its a fake document, as backed up by US intelligence
    Clinton is in so much trouble, you wouldn't believe it.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779
    I had £113 on Johnson to be next POTUS at 1000. When he failed to make the first debate I put the bet back up on Betfair as a LAY at 1000 and it has all been progressively matched. So I had a free shot at a huge payout.

The fact that the bet has been matched means, of course, that the market has moved slightly back in his favour. I can't see it at all now myself but if we do get a President G Johnson I won't be too happy!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,821
    edited October 2016
    Speedy said:

There are provisions regarding physical or mental incapacitation of the nominee.
    Trump can be declared mentally incapacitated, and be replaced.

Dear God, that's a Star Trek episode!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2016
    I believe Mark Burnett is the one with the finger on the red button. He owns all the rights to them, not NBC (like the first Trump Tape).
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Speedy said:

Trump's GOTV has been dead for weeks.

It's over.

He needs a Black Swan the size of Manhattan to get out of this now.

Voters would by-pass Trump in any event of a black swan.
    He is as politically dead as the Liberal Democrats.
    That bad eh?

Sorry Mike :-)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    viewcode said:

Speedy said:

From George W Bush's lawyer, who worked on the Florida 2000 court cases

https://twitter.com/samsanders/status/784797038642917376

There are provisions regarding physical or mental incapacitation of the nominee.
    Lonely Among Us :)
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Told you.

30 years in Sing Sing for Trump coming up, unless of course he resigns in exchange for a pardon from Pence.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Is Johnson on the ballot in all states?
    Yes.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Dromedary said:

...in an article in the Daily Kos which is well worth reading, in particular on how Donald Trump entrusted his 14-year-old daughter to John Casablancas, a man whose sexual interest in underage girls was by then public knowledge.
    More liberal, elite, bla bla, bla propaganda........

The liberals just don't get it. The Voters want a man who is a proper man, who grabs pussy whenever, and can say if his daughter is a piece of ass. Hell yeah.....
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Essexit said:

PlatoSaid said:

Can someone who has followed every twist and turn on this madness explain the TicTac thing?

Tic Tac USA ‏@TicTacUSA 3h3 hours ago
    Tic Tac respects all women. We find the recent statements and behavior completely inappropriate and unacceptable.

I can't think of a crappier PR thing - there's no brand values attribute associated with politics or social leaning. Imagine Branston pickle saying this...

Beyond daft.
    Piling in on a loser is clearly seen as an attractive marketing ploy and let face it America is the land of the winner...

The question is how big can the win get? Could Arizona be in play, or Indiana?
    Talking up my own book, I reckon Texas is in play now.
    I got on Texas today at 10/1 with Shadsy; but it seems to have gone.

I would have thought that Arizona would be a better bet than Indiana, which will get some Trump benefit.

Utah too. Mormans for Trump? I think not.
    16/1 for me. I nearly did a thread on Utah going for Hillary. Headline was

'Donald Trump, Utah Saint or Utah Sinner? Clinton's campaign is doing Something Good'

But here's the most important news stories from today, the GOP are avoiding Trump like a bad case of the clap, which screws up his ground game/GOTV

https://twitter.com/MaryAnnAhernNBC/status/784828536880115712
    https://twitter.com/politicoalex/status/784822932119887872
    Possibly the other value bet is Johnson over 10% at 5/1 at Ladbrokes.

State winner in New Mex or Utah too?
    I have a tenner on Johnson in Utah at 12/1 - feeling reasonably happy with that right now.
    I reckon Johnson could win in a straight fight with Clinton.
  • Options
    Pence has drifted out a little over this evening on BF.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,821
    edited October 2016
    RobD said:

viewcode said:

Speedy said:

The Doomsday Machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sFw5Mt70vY
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    edited October 2016
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

viewcode said:

Speedy said:

From George W Bush's lawyer, who worked on the Florida 2000 court cases

https://twitter.com/samsanders/status/784797038642917376

The Doomsday Machine

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sFw5Mt70vY
    :( Shows how much I know (Picard was declared mentally incapacitated and relieved!)
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    Nate Silver has stuck out his neck and said this will have a bad effect on Trump's support - but he thinks we'll have to wait and see how bad:
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-bottom-could-fall-out-for-trump/
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Essexit said:

PlatoSaid said:

Can someone who has followed every twist and turn on this madness explain the TicTac thing?

Tic Tac USA ‏@TicTacUSA 3h3 hours ago
    Tic Tac respects all women. We find the recent statements and behavior completely inappropriate and unacceptable.

I can't think of a crappier PR thing - there's no brand values attribute associated with politics or social leaning. Imagine Branston pickle saying this...

Beyond daft.
    Piling in on a loser is clearly seen as an attractive marketing ploy and let face it America is the land of the winner...

The question is how big can the win get? Could Arizona be in play, or Indiana?
    Talking up my own book, I reckon Texas is in play now.
    I got on Texas today at 10/1 with Shadsy; but it seems to have gone.

I would have thought that Arizona would be a better bet than Indiana, which will get some Trump benefit.

Utah too. Mormans for Trump? I think not.
    16/1 for me. I nearly did a thread on Utah going for Hillary. Headline was

'Donald Trump, Utah Saint or Utah Sinner? Clinton's campaign is doing Something Good'

But here's the most important news stories from today, the GOP are avoiding Trump like a bad case of the clap, which screws up his ground game/GOTV

https://twitter.com/MaryAnnAhernNBC/status/784828536880115712
    https://twitter.com/politicoalex/status/784822932119887872
    Possibly the other value bet is Johnson over 10% at 5/1 at Ladbrokes.

State winner in New Mex or Utah too?
    I have a tenner on Johnson in Utah at 12/1 - feeling reasonably happy with that right now.
    I reckon Johnson could win in a straight fight with Clinton.
    Now he knows what Aleppo means.
  • Options
    Visual political position of Trump right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr6EfTeBRG4
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    The debate tonight could break 100m viewers. Even I might be have to stay up for it and I'm an hour behind.

Hillary has got to take a patsy.....she has to take a fall otherwise she could finish him off tomorrow......
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    Speedy said:

30 years in Sing Sing for Trump coming up, unless of course he resigns in exchange for a pardon from Pence.

What is worse? Mob links? Confessing to murder?

Surely anything that could lead to prison for Trump also compromises anyone who's sat on the tapes all these years.
  • Options
    Hard not to laugh at Trump - the "angry poor people" demographic was good enough for Windows and he's up against Shillary. But somehow he has found every possible way to screw up, the final one being the end apart from the most angry. Epic fail.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    stjohn said:

I had £113 on Johnson to be next POTUS at 1000. When he failed to make the first debate I put the bet back up on Betfair as a LAY at 1000 and it has all been progressively matched. So I had a free shot at a huge payout.

The fact that the bet has been matched means, of course, that the market has moved slightly back in his favour. I can't see it at all now myself but if we do get a President G Johnson I won't be too happy!

You could be a rich man in a few weeks' time. Oh, you've cashed out? Sorry, I misread.
  • Options
    Ben Jacobs stole my gif!
  • Options

Speedy said:

Surely anything that could lead to prison for Trump also compromises anyone who's sat on the tapes all these years.
    They've got him by the balls, his mind and body will follow.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Speedy said:

Rape, especially of underage girls. Who knows - maybe some victims have died. Trump is a psychopath. Look at the way he mocks people's disabilities in front of large crowds. The Daily Kos is making people trafficking allegations.

As for the mob, it was lawyer Roy Cohn who helped Donald Trump cross the bridge as a (very young) landlord and property developer from Brooklyn to Manhattan. Cohn was notoriously mobbed up.
  • Options
    "Is the Trump tape really that shocking?
    Freddy Gray"

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/10/trump-tape-really-shocking/
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

Cohn was notoriously mobbed up.

Cohn was notoriously well connected full stop. If guilt by association were a crime you'd have to lock up most of the American establishment.
  • Options

Dromedary said:

Cohn was notoriously mobbed up.

Cohn was notoriously well connected full stop. If guilt by association were a crime you'd have to lock up most of the American establishment.
    It wasn't just association: he enabled Donald Trump to take a very big step up in the world. Not everyone in the "establishment" has such help in their backgrounds. Some of them are born very high up and stay there.
  • Options
    I think people might want to be a bit careful. We don't want to get OGH in trouble.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    What happens if Mike Pence drops out? Does a new VP candidate get picked?
  • Options
    edited October 2016

I think people might want to be a bit careful. We don't want to get OGH in trouble.

Trump isn't litigious. :)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Dromedary said:

That article in the DailyKos is quite something.

Lets make America Great Again! Build the Wall! Repeat ad nauseum.
  • Options

Dromedary said:

That article in the DailyKos is quite something.

Lets make America Great Again! Build the Wall! Repeat ad nauseum.
    Build a wall! Stop the sexual perverts entering Mexico!
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Trump could've won this election. The Trumpsters are a large enough movement. His policies are not what has hurt him, it's his character, he's simply not serious as a person. More Berlusconi than Marine Le Pen. I think he may just turn off enough republican loyalists that it does him in now. He will rapidly lose all remaining establishment support as they decide the presidential is lost, and down ticket races are still winnable if they abandon trump.
  • Options
    #Vote #Trump
    Make #America #Grope Again!
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    AndyJS said:

stjohn said:

You could be a rich man in a few weeks' time. Oh, you've cashed out? Sorry, I misread.
    Had Johnson made the debates I think he had an outside chance of becoming POTUS. Maybe 33/1? My bet was really a bet on him making the debates which I thought he might do and was perhaps a 5/1 shot? If so, backing Johnson before he missed the debates opportunity was maybe equivalent to backing a 200/1 shot at 1000/1. After missing the debates I think he's back at 1000/1.
  • Options
    To bed. God knows what I'll wake up to, politically, in the morning.
  • Options
    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/chatterbox/1999/03/gipper_the_ripper.html

Allegations of sexual assault were levelled against Ronald Reagan at one time.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Ridiculous number of people using the past tense regarding this election. Have you lot learnt nothing ?
  • Options
    619 said:

Trump v GOP

If you're an anti-free-trade left leaning voter and want to smash the GOP, who do you vote for?
  • Options
    Just back from a slightly melancholy wedding. Given the way politics has been recently I just thought I'd check if the world had ended in the last 14hrs ? Has anything happened ?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    619 said:
    Do people really think Trump is going to step aside meekly in favour of someone he considers has stabbed him in the back?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Yes, but I was under the impression that the polls that counted for the 15% average were taken weeks ago and current ones didn't count.
    That's not how I understand it, there are 5 poling companies that have been chosen, but each are doing many poles and it will be the most up to date that is used each time. however it was assumed that if he did not make it to the first debate that his popularity wood fall and thus not make the second or third ether.

I make £80,000 if Johnson wins so, I'm on the look out for the positives, but sadly I don't think it will happen.
  • Options

Just back from a slightly melancholy wedding. Given the way politics has been recently I just thought I'd check if the world had ended in the last 14hrs ? Has anything happened ?

We all went to a melancholy wedding.
    Melancholy wedding. Melancholy wedding.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784

619 said:

Trump v GOP

If you're an anti-free-trade left leaning voter and want to smash the GOP, who do you vote for?
    am i racist and hate women?

If yes, trump. If no, clinton
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Chris said:

619 said:
    Do people really think Trump is going to step aside meekly in favour of someone he considers has stabbed him in the back?
    As plotters they were fucking useless?
  • Options

It feels the only way Clinton is going to lose this election is if The Guardian does a letter writing campaign for her.

Edit as some wag on twitter put it

..or she engraves her campaign pledges on a 12 ft stone plinth

Or she hires Ryan Coetzee.
  • Options
    Let's take a look at some of the data:

Despite all the negative stories, Trump is in spitting discount of HRC - her lead is down slightly with Fox today and, dispute the make-up of the LA Times tracker, but the key is that there has not been much change. Polls range from Trump +3 to Clinton +6.

Problem 1 for HRC - the millennials are not enthused enough about her to vote (Chegg provides rental textbooks for students): http://www.chegg.com/press/new-polling-data-chegg-shows-lack-enthusiasm-presidential-campaign/

Problem 2 for HRC - she needs black voters to turn out - they did for Obama, who was one of their own. For a elderly, white woman, a lot more doubtful. From the NC poll that put HRC at +2%:

"Trump leads by 20 among white voters; Clinton leads by 75 among African Americans"

Problem 3 for HRC: while Trump is a sleazebag, that is "in the price". What is clear is that there are far more HRC e-mails to come - that will not cause people to switch to Trump but will cause many to withhold a vote from HRC.

I think a few people on this site need to be more objective: for example, they wet their knickers over Trump only up in Indiana +5% but completely ignored the last poll showing HRC only up in New Hampshire by 2%. Not fitting your agenda?

As I said on a previous post, Trump may not win but the value is with him.

• Options
    stjohn said:

Ha !
  • Options
    Latest Des Moines Register poll of 642 likely voters in Iowa has Trump leading by four points in the quartet format. Sadly, all work was done before Friday.

Mildly interesting fact: Des Moines was named after the Des Moines River, which itself was apparently named by the French.after the Trappist monks who settled along it. Another theory has the name coming from an obscene phrase the Peoria tribe used for a neighboring tribe they didn't get along with.
  • Options

Let's take a look at some of the data:

Despite all the negative stories, Trump is in spitting discount of HRC - her lead is down slightly with Fox today and, dispute the make-up of the LA Times tracker, but the key is that there has not been much change. Polls range from Trump +3 to Clinton +6.

Problem 1 for HRC - the millennials are not enthused enough about her to vote (Chegg provides rental textbooks for students): http://www.chegg.com/press/new-polling-data-chegg-shows-lack-enthusiasm-presidential-campaign/

Problem 2 for HRC - she needs black voters to turn out - they did for Obama, who was one of their own. For a elderly, white woman, a lot more doubtful. From the NC poll that put HRC at +2%:

"Trump leads by 20 among white voters; Clinton leads by 75 among African Americans"

Problem 3 for HRC: while Trump is a sleazebag, that is "in the price". What is clear is that there are far more HRC e-mails to come - that will not cause people to switch to Trump but will cause many to withhold a vote from HRC.

I think a few people on this site need to be more objective: for example, they wet their knickers over Trump only up in Indiana +5% but completely ignored the last poll showing HRC only up in New Hampshire by 2%. Not fitting your agenda?

As I said on a previous post, Trump may not win but the value is with him.

1. may have more after this weekend.
    2. she will get a lot more white women and hispanics
    3. look at averages, not single polls. she is on avreage 4.5 in the lead nationally.

also, that tape fucks up trump with suburban women, and the GOP is in open warfare. These arent minor issues.
  • Options

3. look at averages, not single polls. she is on avreage 4.5 in the lead nationally.

also, that tape fucks up trump with suburban women, and the GOP is in open warfare. These arent minor issues.

1. No, Millennials are not suddenly going to flock to HRC because of Trump's comments - there is a lot of data out there saying they mistrust her etc. Trump making some stupid ass comments ten years ago will not change that.

2. No, HRC's support amongst Hispanics is already high (and you are talking about a macho culture anyway). White women may at the edges but, again, everyone knows Trump was a sleazebag.

3. The problems with averages is they treat all polls the same - I have my doubts about the LA Times weighting but it is a tracker which is vital for seeing the trends - and it is not moving.
  • Options

1. No, Millennials are not suddenly going to flock to HRC because of Trump's comments - there is a lot of data out there saying they mistrust her etc. Trump making some stupid ass comments ten years ago will not change that.

2. No, HRC's support amongst Hispanics is already high (and you are talking about a macho culture anyway). White women may at the edges but, again, everyone knows Trump was a sleazebag.

3. The problems with averages is they treat all polls the same - I have my doubts about the LA Times weighting but it is a tracker which is vital for seeing the trends - and it is not moving.

hmmm. i think 1. is overstated. 2. we will know more after polls. and 3. 538 doesnt treat them all the same. La times tracking poll has very minor value as its the same 4000 people pool being polled. Its almost as bad as rassumen imo
  • Options
    619, I am off to bed so the last comment :)

The point why most companies consider a tracking poll valuable is that it picks up changes in attitudes. You can argue whether the weightings are right or wrong but, if Trump was seeing major fallout from the debate etc, it would have been reflected in the tracker because people would change their opinions. But they have not.

My view looking at the methodology of the polls is that they are low quality. However, I have heard enough comments suggesting HRC support is only lukewarm whereas Trump supporters are dedicated to have the feeling this is Brexit 2.0

Anyway, I have put my money where my mouth is so let's see :)
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

619 said:

Trump v GOP

Stein
  • Options
    Paul Ryan is the latest to call for Trump to go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg4xyKZjAOc
  • Options

619, I am off to bed so the last comment :)

The point why most companies consider a tracking poll valuable is that it picks up changes in attitudes. You can argue whether the weightings are right or wrong but, if Trump was seeing major fallout from the debate etc, it would have been reflected in the tracker because people would change their opinions. But they have not.

My view looking at the methodology of the polls is that they are low quality. However, I have heard enough comments suggesting HRC support is only lukewarm whereas Trump supporters are dedicated to have the feeling this is Brexit 2.0

Anyway, I have put my money where my mouth is so let's see :)

The problem with the LA Times one is that because their pool are getting polled every day, they end up watching the race in a very different way to normal voters. So they may not be doing a great job of picking up the short-term trends any more either.
  • Options
    Trump is retweeting Juanita Broaddrick's rape allegations against Bill Clinton.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    It's a view I suppose

"A student union welfare officer has called for the National Anthem to be removed from a leading university's graduation ceremony because of 'increasing far right nationalism'.
    Mahamed Abdullahi, from King's College London Students' Union, called the traditional rendition of God Save The Queen 'outdated

: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3828682/University-considers-banning-National-Anthem-graduation-ceremonies-links-increasing-far-right-nationalism.html#
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Trump is retweeting Juanita Broaddrick's rape allegations against Bill Clinton.

Trump should take Denis Healey's advice: when you're in a hole, stop digging.
  • Options
    Chris said:

619 said:
    No but it is possible Trump might be made an offer he can't refuse, perhaps based around bailing out his doomed campaign The trouble for the GOP is after Trump, the next biggest player was Cruz who as a Tea Party headbanger is equally unacceptable. Let's see what happens tonight.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

It's a view I suppose

"A student union welfare officer has called for the National Anthem to be removed from a leading university's graduation ceremony because of 'increasing far right nationalism'.
    Mahamed Abdullahi, from King's College London Students' Union, called the traditional rendition of God Save The Queen 'outdated

: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3828682/University-considers-banning-National-Anthem-graduation-ceremonies-links-increasing-far-right-nationalism.html#

KCL stopped being a leading university when it closed its chemistry department a dozen or so years back (although it is now resurrecting it in limited form).
  • Options
    Deep thought: If Trump withdraws but is still on the ballot and the GOP say vote Trump to get X, how do Trump die-hards express support for Trump? Do they cross out Trump and write in Trump? Or do the Trump side pick another person and say write in Y to get Trump?
  • Options

Deep thought: If Trump withdraws but is still on the ballot and the GOP say vote Trump to get X, how do Trump die-hards express support for Trump? Do they cross out Trump and write in Trump? Or do the Trump side pick another person and say write in Y to get Trump?

If Trump withdraws, who is left to make these decisions for the Trump side?
  • Options
    The GOP paradox is it is better if its supporters vote for Hillary than stay at home, as this way all the down-ticket Republicans get votes. It might then be better if Trump stays in the race but that other Republicans dissociate themselves from him.
  • Options

Sarah Palin? Mike Cernovich?
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

Chris said:

619 said:
    No but it is possible Trump might be made an offer he can't refuse, perhaps based around bailing out his doomed campaign The trouble for the GOP is after Trump, the next biggest player was Cruz who as a Tea Party headbanger is equally unacceptable. Let's see what happens tonight.
    If Trump goes I'd say it'll be Pence stepping into the gap. The election's probably lost anyway so it's just trying to mitigate the losses and save what face you can. The likely 2020 contenders wouldn't want to be sullied by the loss and it'd be the quickest and cleanest way of doing it.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Sarah Palin? Mike Cernovich?
    Vladimir Putin.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Chris said:

619 said:
    Bailing out his campaign? Isn't Trump is making a hefty profit on the campaign by charging loads of stuff to his companies? Plus all those supporters he can sell hats to afterwards saying Hilary stole the election...
This discussion has been closed.