Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ex-top Trump aide says expect a big anti-Clinton Wikileaks

Comments

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    North Carolina poll (Bloomberg/Selzer)

Clinton 44%
    Trump 43%
    Johnson 6%
    Stein 2%

https://t.co/oIyYFuvZhp https://t.co/aRHBKUfSeD
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

glw said:

MaxPB said:

It's heartening to see so many lefties care about City jobs and the prosperity of bankers lately. Why just a few months ago these same people were decrying us all as thieves and spivs. Amazing how much they are willing to give at the altar of the EU.

I find it very amusing, and the idea that the public will care if "bankers" get in the neck is even funnier.
    Indeed, this obsession with the City by some of our resident lefties is a bit sad. I can understand the likes of Richard Nabavi and TOPPING being worried about its future (though I think they worry too much) but when I see a known lefty tell me about how awful all the job losses are going to be when just last year they were revelling in City job losses to Frankfurt or Paris as some kind of payback for the previous recession. One in which the City, as most people know it, had very little responsibility since it was ordinary retail banks lending money to people who were unsuitable that broke RBS, HBOS and Northern Rock.
    Well said, Mr. Max
    Perhaps lefties have learned to care about bankers, after all.
    A new BLM, Banker Lives Matter?
  • Options

Why do some people love the EU so much? What itch does it scratch? You like the flag? The anthem?

Hearing Ode To Joy girds my loins.

Though that maybe because of Die Hard.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,294
    Essexit said:

Essexit said:

I disagree with your assertion that the EU makes us better off, but let's for the sake of argument assume you're right. Is a bit more material wealth worthwhile compensation for being governed in a remote, opaque, barely democratic manner?

I believe that describing us as being governed in a remote , opaque , barely democratic manner is a gross exaggeration .
    Did you vote for Jean-Claude Juncker?
    Technically, 28,014 people in London voted for the EPP at the 2014 European Elections.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @TwistedFireStopper

'Why do some people love the EU so much? What itch does it scratch? You like the flag? The anthem? '

The clapped out reject politicians that run it ?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @GerriPeev: BREAKING: Momentum removes Jackie Walker as vice chairman
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Quite startling. Ms May doesn't especially care about the City, the government thinks only "a few hundred" City jobs will go to the EU after Brexit

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-03/may-said-to-downgrade-city-in-brexit-shock-for-financial-sector

Hard to know how much all of this is maneuvers, and how much is genuine opinion, and intent.

'The City' and the financial services sector contributes £65 billion to the Treasury per year, by conservative estimates.

Do you really think she's going to give that up?
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@TwistedFireStopper

'Why do some people love the EU so much? What itch does it scratch? You like the flag? The anthem? '

They're not all Lib Dems.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2016
    Rumour has it that Wikileaks tomorrow will release information not only about Clinton but also about Trump.

The "notice of violation" that the New York attorney general has sent to the Trump Foundation is big news.

"In the letter, his office provided notice to Mr. Trump’s foundation that within 15 days it must provide certain documents required to be filed by organizations that solicit contributions, including audited financial statements and annual financial reports. It also must file any 'delinquent reports' for past years within that time frame."

"'The failure immediately to discontinue solicitation and to file information and reports' with the charities bureau, Mr. Sheehan said, 'shall be deemed a fraud upon the people of the state of New York.'"

So in short, Donald Trump could get his collar felt on 18 October, the day before the third and last TV debate.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    edited October 2016
    MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

glw said:

MaxPB said:

It's heartening to see so many lefties care about City jobs and the prosperity of bankers lately. Why just a few months ago these same people were decrying us all as thieves and spivs. Amazing how much they are willing to give at the altar of the EU.

I find it very amusing, and the idea that the public will care if "bankers" get in the neck is even funnier.
    Indeed, this obsession with the City by some of our resident lefties is a bit sad. I can understand the likes of Richard Nabavi and TOPPING being worried about its future (though I think they worry too much) but when I see a known lefty tell me about how awful all the job losses are going to be when just last year they were revelling in City job losses to Frankfurt or Paris as some kind of payback for the previous recession. One in which the City, as most people know it, had very little responsibility since it was ordinary retail banks lending money to people who were unsuitable that broke RBS, HBOS and Northern Rock.
    Well said, Mr. Max
    Perhaps lefties have learned to care about bankers, after all.
    A new BLM, Banker Lives Matter?
    Well most of the blm idiots from the city airport protest are from those circles.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Why do some people love the EU so much? What itch does it scratch? You like the flag? The anthem?

A common European history and culture for me.

I like being European, and having the right to live freely across the greatest continent on the planet.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Scott_P said:

For what reasons?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

For what reasons?
    anti-Semitism.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    PlatoSaid said:

Clinton 44%
    Trump 43%
    Johnson 6%
    Stein 2%

North Carolina seems to be going the same way as Virginia. Not sure why...
  • Options

I like being European, and having the right to live freely across the greatest continent on the planet.
    We're not in Asia! Our commonality with Europe stretches to a few wars and, with northern Europe, a king who wanted to get a divorce.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@murali_s

Your patriotic bluster about sovereignty and self-governance will mean nothing in depressed economic times. Where I work I've been told tough decisions will be made in context with Brexit - job losses are expected. '

According to Nick Clegg 3 million job losses are expected ,but could be EU patriotic bluster.

There are about 32 million people employed currently in the UK. If that drops to 29 million in the next five years, we'll owe Nick Clegg an apology.

I think he's likely to go wanting. But who knows.
  • Options
    Each US state’s biggest import trading partner,... https://t.co/ydukYeZkWV #maps https://t.co/Jk4kTLPmhr

Some intriguing details
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@TwistedFireStopper

Do you usually get answers when you ask such loaded questions?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

So why are you living in Leicester of all places? Crikey there are better places in England to live never mind the rest of Europe.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

For what reasons?
    anti-Semitism.
    She's been promoted to Chairman?
  • Options
    They didn't make me look any cleverer!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    AndyJS said:

PlatoSaid said:

Clinton 44%
    Trump 43%
    Johnson 6%
    Stein 2%

Virginia seems solidly Democratic this year. North Carolina much more of a toss up.
  • Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454
    john_zims said:

@murali_s

Your patriotic bluster about sovereignty and self-governance will mean nothing in depressed economic times. Where I work I've been told tough decisions will be made in context with Brexit - job losses are expected. '

According to Nick Clegg 3 million job losses are expected ,but could be EU patriotic bluster.

Firstly that quote is incorrect Clegg is always careful to say "3 million jobs COULD be at risk". Which is a bit like saying I could be abducted by aliens. Secondly Clegg is a tosser how many seats did he lose at the last election....is that the performance of a man worth listening to.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,329
    MaxPB said:

We're not in Asia! Our commonality with Europe stretches to a few wars and, with northern Europe, a king who wanted to get a divorce.
    Not sure if this is an example of the narcissism of small differences, or simply of ignorance.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

For what reasons?
    anti-Semitism.
    She's been promoted to Chairman?
    Give it a few months...
  • Options

So why are you living in Leicester of all places? Crikey there are better places in England to live never mind the rest of Europe.
    Lol, whenever I go to Leicester I can't wait to get away. What irritates me the most is that for a city with so many Indians, the Indian restaurants are nothing compared to North West London.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

PlatoSaid said:

Clinton 44%
    Trump 43%
    Johnson 6%
    Stein 2%

I think Hillary will do better than expected across the Old Confederacy. In part it is Demographic change, including Northern White College grads moving to the Sunbelt, as well as Hispanics. I also think that Trump is too much the New York Yankee for a lot of the Bible bashing rednecks. He will still win most States in the Confederacy, but not by as big a margin as previous Republicans.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

john_zims said:

@TwistedFireStopper

Do you usually get answers when you ask such loaded questions?
    Looks like it.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

For what reasons?
    anti-Semitism.
    Do you mean insufficient anti-semitism?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Sean_F said:

Trump's chance is much higher than 10%.

No they are not.

For Trump to win 3 things will have to happen that are very very unlikely.

1. Trump to display intelligence.
    2. Hillary to display ignorance.
    3. To stay that way for at least the final 2 weeks till election day.

Plus:
    1.Trump will have to be at his best and Hillary at her worst, something that has happened only 10 days out of the last 5 months.
    2.And there are still another 2 debates for Trump to lose.
    3.And we still aren't sure if Trump is actively sabotaging himself to lose.
    4.The Abominable Trump is either increadibly crazy or increadibly stupid.

There are more reasons that say Trump's a loser than Owen Smith.

Cruella De Vil is going to win this thing and become President for lack of credible or sane opposition.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

What language do you think was the official state language of England until the 15th century?
  • Options
    So THIS is what they meant by Take Back Control...

https://twitter.com/albertonardelli/status/782997170236653569
  • Options

You get aroused by Schiller's poetry? Some of Goethe's stuff I could understand but that turgid gumpf from Shiller? I mean, really?

Perhaps your aunt was correct and you are a wicked child.

• Options
    john_zims said:

@TwistedFireStopper

Primarily the freedom to live, work or retire wherever I like across a wonderfully varied continent without requiring the permission of some government busybody to do so. It's a freedom I've made good use of and would have liked to continue doing so. That and the ease of working as a freelancer within a potential market of 500 million customers.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Lol, whenever I go to Leicester I can't wait to get away. What irritates me the most is that for a city with so many Indians, the Indian restaurants are nothing compared to North West London.
    Many excellent places here to eat. My favourite is Shivalli on the Welford rd. Their Thali is a bargain. For seafood Kayal is very good.

• Options
    Speedy said:

Sean_F said:

No they are not.

Plus:
    1.Trump will have to be at his best and Hillary at her worst, something that has happened only 10 days out of the last 5 months.

Cruella De Vil is going to win this thing and become President for lack of credible or sane opposition.
    If Trump is 3-4% behind then he has a much better than 10% chance of winning.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Scott_P

'So THIS is what they meant by Take Back Control...

That's fine as long as we can apply the same charges to the 3 million EU citizens living in the UK.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

I thought we already paid the health bills for retirees in Spain, or am I wrong?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Many excellent places here to eat. My favourite is Shivalli on the Welford rd. Their Thali is a bargain. For seafood Kayal is very good.

The former sounds like a vegetarian place, no thanks. Not big on seafood either, where are the kebabs and the mushkaki!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

For fuck's sake. We've all just this minute agreed that Remainers would stop saying anything about Brexit, in any form, in any language, and on any aspect, for the rest of recorded time, as no one wanted to hear their stupid, childish opinions and it was killing the site for everyone else, and you break the agreement in the first five minutes??

SHUT UP.
    I never agreed ;-)

Now go back to your Barolo, a fine example of the Dolce Vita that we have parted company with!
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

It's also the most total bollocks. One, we already pay in EHIC, two, do they really want lots of rather affluent retirees to leave struggling Spain, three, we send 13m tourists their way, what if they all thought "oo-er, Spain is less inviting, let's go to Portugal"

It's time to wield a bit of stick with Johnny Continental. As much as some Brexiteers can be dewy-eyed about our prospects, I think the Europeans are showing signs of over-estimating quite how much leverage they have.

In the words of FU, time to put some stick about...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I think the Europeans are showing signs of over-estimating quite how much leverage they have.

Bloody furriners. Only Brits should have the right to overestimate how much leverage we have...
  • Options

john_zims said:

@TwistedFireStopper

Primarily the freedom to live, work or retire wherever I like across a wonderfully varied continent without requiring the permission of some government busybody to do so. It's a freedom I've made good use of and would have liked to continue doing so. That and the ease of working as a freelancer within a potential market of 500 million customers.
    I agree with that. To me, the freedom for people to live and work across the continent is the crowning glory of the EU.

But I also think that states should be allowed to discriminate against non citizens. I see no reason why the UK government should, for example, provide housing benefit to non citizens, and I see no reason why the UK government cannot subsidise the employment of Brits.
  • Options

john_zims said:

@TwistedFireStopper

So where do you live, old boy?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@TwistedFireStopper

I agree with that. To me, the freedom for people to live and work across the continent is the crowning glory of the EU.

But I also think that states should be allowed to discriminate against non citizens. I see no reason why the UK government should, for example, provide housing benefit to non citizens, and I see no reason why the UK government cannot subsidise the employment of Brits.
    This, a thousand times.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Scott_P said:

Scott P Why are you such a wuss?

Just because a Spanish minister says that is what he wants doesn't mean that is what he will get. Spain wants all those Brits to spend their pensions there, does it not? Well ... And now, about those 129,000 Spaniards in the UK ...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    PlatoSaid said:

Clinton 44%
    Trump 43%
    Johnson 6%
    Stein 2%

Those 2% are going to be really upset that Stein isn't on the ballot.
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    FPT re Apple products. After hubris comes nemesis I think.

I have a 2010 macbook pro which provided all my home computing needs for years. But it is now undoubtedly clunky and old and doesn't seem to want to install the latest version of OSX. Fair nuff, old machine.

I have a 3 year old ipad. Utter piece of junk. Sits in a cupboard and never gets used.

I am posting this from my Samsung S5. Love it totally and when my upgrade cycle comes round will be getting an S7. I prefer to stay a bit behind the curve.

When eldest child hit secondary school 3 years ago I got her a basic Windows laptop. She is a gamer so wouldn't even think of an Apple product. Cost quite a lot that did but still half the price of an equiv macbook. But that is getting clunky now.

Youngest child went up to secondary school this year. I bought him a Chromebook on an Amazon deal for £99!. He loves it. Gaming aside it does everything that you might want a computer to do if you are 11.

Work upgraded the IT recently. The Toshiba laptop is so far superior in every respect to the macbook, even comparing specs to the latest macbook.

They gave me a work iphone 6. Binned BB's. Compared to my S5 the iphone is rubbish as a smartphone but, thing is, the iphone is massively inferior to the BB as a portable Outlook, which is what most people in corporate life want a company mobile device to do. BB should have stayed in the business of providing a cheap corporate Outlook portal with good security and left fancier remote working stuff to others.

Apple have a massive cash pile and a srong brand. But they are not tech innovators.

No doubt everyone is gripped by my IT experiences!
  • Options

john_zims said:

@TwistedFireStopper

I would see that as being more of an imposition than a freedom.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Speedy said:

Sean_F said:

No they are not.

Plus:

What happens if he's actually 5-6% behind because he has a skeleton GOTV operation?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@TwistedFireStopper

Absolutely agreed. The idea of "EU citizenship" is detestable and should be ditched, but since we were clearly unable to do that within the EU we've had to leave. Though I have to say we shouldn't be in the practice of subsidising wages through welfare, or the cost of living. I'd prefer to raise the minimum wage and give away the welfare savings in eliminating employer's NI and cutting corporation tax to 15%, 12.5% for SMEs to offset the costs of raising the minimum wage.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The former sounds like a vegetarian place, no thanks. Not big on seafood either, where are the kebabs and the mushkaki!
    Kayal specialises in Keralan seafood curries, the Shivalli is pure veg.

Next to Shivalli is the Kuru Kuru sushi bar. Great sushi, and made by an enormous Bengali chef. It is closed on Friday for prayers. Such is the weird cultural mix of Leicester.

http://m.leicestermercury.co.uk/watch-narborough-road-residents-do-channel-four-continuity-announcements/story-29567895-detail/story.html

I live in Leicester because I like it! I was born in a Lancs mill town, but having been here 25 years have grown to love the place, in all its unruly charm.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Sean_F said:

Speedy said:

Sean_F said:

No they are not.

Plus:

But he's not even trying.
    It's only 30 days till the finish line and he hasn't shown a single ounce of personal competence or intelligence for ages.

Think if the Tories or Labour where ahead by 3-4% on average 1 month before election time and the opposition where crap especially on TV and their ground game and all the newspapers and the media being hostile to them.
    All the signs would point towards a government victory.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

PlatoSaid said:

Fascinating vox pops at Trump rally - stick with it

https://t.co/JH0zt5skJN

Yeah vox pops at a Trump rally are as accurate as vox pops at a Corbyn rally.
    Do you want to learn what switchers are saying or just knee jerking?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

PlatoSaid said:

Clinton 44%
    Trump 43%
    Johnson 6%
    Stein 2%

The research triangle has brought a lot of highly educated research and academic types to NC, and Obama has energized the black vote. Thus NC is slowly trending solid deep red to purple.
  • Options

Speedy said:

PlatoSaid said:

Fascinating vox pops at Trump rally - stick with it

https://t.co/JH0zt5skJN

Yeah vox pops at a Trump rally are as accurate as vox pops at a Corbyn rally.
    The difference is that you will find absolutely nobody at a Corbyn rally who will say they used to be a Tory and were converted to Corbyn.

Of course it's purely anecdotal, but those people to represent a real (dare I say Brexit-like?) movement.
    Quite.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

My personal favourite was the sudden praise of Chris Grayling - a man previously derided as beyond stupid for years - the moment he backed May's leadership campaign.

Hilarious.
    not nearly as funny as your trolling for Leadsom and now Trump.
  • Options

You get aroused by Schiller's poetry? Some of Goethe's stuff I could understand but that turgid gumpf from Shiller? I mean, really?

Perhaps your aunt was correct and you are a wicked child.

You'd be surprised by the things that girds my loins.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

For what reasons?
    anti-Semitism.
    Seriously? I thought chukkabuttie said there was no such thing in Labour?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

Speedy said:

Sean_F said:

No they are not.

Plus:

What happens if he's actually 5-6% behind because he has a skeleton GOTV operation?
    I don't think GOTV makes more than a difference of 0.1-2% (of course, that 0.1-0.2% can be crucial, in very tight contests).
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

PlatoSaid said:

Clinton 44%
    Trump 43%
    Johnson 6%
    Stein 2%

Virginia has gone Democract because Washington DC has bled into Virginia - now that is seeping into North Carolina. If you look at where votes Democrat in NC it's the Counties closest to Washington DC
  • Options

john_zims said:

@TwistedFireStopper

So where do you live, old boy?
    Now? Birmingham, for family reasons. I lived and worked in Germany for 10 years though, and I would quite like the opportunity to return and retire either there or to Spain once I'm no longer tied here.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

For what reasons?
    anti-Semitism.
    Seriously? I thought chukkabuttie said there was no such thing in Labour?
    I know it's a shock isn't it.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Anyone with any doubts what Wikileaks is and who it fronts needs to walk off a cliff because they are seriously brainless.

They are going early because their man is in a bit of diffs. The question is why and how it could kill Clinton amongst her base.

Having said that there is more about Trump and his long held ties in Moscow.The guy is a first rate traitor to his nation.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

I thought we already paid the health bills for retirees in Spain, or am I wrong?
    I think we do - I expect this is just posturing to make sure that continues. They may fear that the UK plans to abandon the 'expats' to their fate :)
  • Options
    Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Clinton 44%
    Trump 43%
    Johnson 6%
    Stein 2%

They are not going to vote for climate change denier Trump, are they?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

john_zims said:

@TwistedFireStopper

How so?
  • Options

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Clinton 44%
    Trump 43%
    Johnson 6%
    Stein 2%

Ron Paul is considering voting Stein.

That's it, I'm done with this election.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Sean_F said:

Speedy said:

Sean_F said:

No they are not.

Plus:

But he's not even trying.
    It's only 30 days till the finish line and he hasn't shown a single ounce of personal competence or intelligence for ages.

Think if the Tories or Labour where ahead by 3-4% on average 1 month before election time and the opposition where crap especially on TV and their ground game and all the newspapers and the media being hostile to them.
    All the signs would point towards a government victory.
    They would, but not a 90% likelihood.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,329
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Clinton 44%
    Trump 43%
    Johnson 6%
    Stein 2%

There was a marvellously bonkers interview on Sky news where he said that Trump just represented the establishment and wasn't a change candidate at all. The presenter didn't know what to say.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

A eurosceptic Frog put it best.

"Europe is my civilisation, but France is my country"

I feel the same. Europe is my culture, in the broadest sense. When I go to a small French or Italian or German town, I can see how it looks like a small British town, in crucial ways, and not a Chinese or Egyptian town. Church, square, World War 1 memorial. Latin alphabet. Cobblestones.

Europe is my wider home: I am proud to be a European, and heir to all that magnificent civilisation. But it is certainly not my nation, or my primary identity. The grand idiocy of the EU was to try and make itself that. Disaster.
    Yes, I guess as a British Indian I feel much less affinity for Europe than the average Brit, there are no ties that bind me to Europe. Though as I always say, if it weren't for the Empire I would not be here, my grandparents were British citizens and came to the UK via East Africa. For me the UK is my home and I'm proud to be British. I like Europe and have visited many times, I'm about to move to Switzerland but I'll never look upon the continent in the same way I do this nation. It's a bit like singing I Vow To Thee My Country, on the rare occasion I'm at a function when I stand and sing it, I don't think of Europe or India, I think of this country. I think there are a few people who do (or would, since they would never be caught singing such a patriotic song) think of Europe, these are the kind of Remainers we have on PB. Just as the leave voter on PB is atypical, so is the remain voter.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

john_zims said:

@TwistedFireStopper

How so?
    That is how natives feel about mass migration into the places they live in.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

john_zims said:

@TwistedFireStopper

I suspect that many of these freedoms, post-Brexit, will be qualified - but preserved.

We will have a work permit system. If you have a job offer (or the means to support yourself without benefits) sure- you can move anywhere you like between the UK and the EU.

So if you've got enough cash you'll still be able to retire to the Algarve, or if you've got a job in German fintech, you'll still be able to move to Berlin. If you're a Parisian banker wanted by Barclays in Holborn, come on over. And of course tourists will still be able to move freely, without visas, as they do now.

What you WON'T be able to do is move to the UK, or move from the UK to the EU, without a job offer, or without any money.

But really, how many people did that in the UK? Just went to Barcelona with no cash, intending to claim benefits and look for work? Not many.

Not much will change.
    Plenty of working class folk retire to the Costas from Leicester.

It will be nicer when only us rich folk can afford it. Let them go to Skegness.

• Options
    SeanT said:

john_zims said:

@TwistedFireStopper

I suspect that many of these freedoms, post-Brexit, will be qualified - but preserved.

We will have a work permit system. If you have a job offer (or the means to support yourself without benefits) sure- you can move anywhere you like between the UK and the EU.

So if you've got enough cash you'll still be able to retire to the Algarve, or if you've got a job in German fintech, you'll still be able to move to Berlin. If you're a Parisian banker wanted by Barclays in Holborn, come on over. And of course tourists will still be able to move freely, without visas, as they do now.

What you WON'T be able to do is move to the UK, or move from the UK to the EU, without a job offer, or without any money.

But really, how many people did that in the UK? Just went to Barcelona with no cash, intending to claim benefits and look for work? Not many.

Not much will change.

Yep, I agree: People will travel on tourist visas, get jobs and convert to work visas. You'll probably need health insurance if you want to live and work in rEU, but that's no big deal - except maybe for pensioners as their premiums will be very high.

• Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Next to Shivalli is the Kuru Kuru sushi bar. Great sushi, and made by an enormous Bengali chef. It is closed on Friday for prayers. Such is the weird cultural mix of Leicester.

http://m.leicestermercury.co.uk/watch-narborough-road-residents-do-channel-four-continuity-announcements/story-29567895-detail/story.html

I live in Leicester because I like it! I was born in a Lancs mill town, but having been here 25 years have grown to love the place, in all its unruly charm.
    Fair go, Doc. So having to fill in an extra form for the right to reside in, say, Portugal (which is all I had to do in the sixties) wouldn't cause you much bother.

You are happy living in Leicester, why the fuss about being able to live elsewhere in Europe?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

PlatoSaid said:

Clinton 44%
    Trump 43%
    Johnson 6%
    Stein 2%

Virginia has gone Democract because Washington DC has bled into Virginia - now that is seeping into North Carolina. If you look at where votes Democrat in NC it's the Counties closest to Washington DC
    DC is not that big.

People moving down the atlantic coast from the N.Eastern cities, eventually the entire Atlantic coastline will vote for the democrats, from Maine to Miami.

The great lakes will go republican but that is still a losing trade off for republicans.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

john_zims said:

@TwistedFireStopper

Not much will change.
    You cannot access benefits in Spain unless you are over 65 or working - as in most EU countries - the UK is very much the exception. They could have ended that easily without leaving the EU. However, the die is cast and one accepts the result.
  • Options
    How to make paying no tax a virtue - he's talking a completely different language to Hillary fans

ABC
    .@realDonaldTrump: "I knew how to use the tax code to rebuild my company...gave me a tremendous advantage." https://t.co/DeZq2USeH8
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,882
    edited October 2016
    felix said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

I think we do - I expect this is just posturing to make sure that continues. They may fear that the UK plans to abandon the 'expats' to their fate :)
    I thought healthcare was the responsibility of the country of residence. The EHIC card was specifically designed for people temporarily away from their residence and normal healthcare support, which in many countries is insurance. If so and bearing in mind the elderly demographic in Spain and the presumably high maintenance costs, I would think that a reasonable negotiating gambit from Spain. They are OK with it as long as everyone is part of the system, but if Britain isn't, why should Spain take on the extra burden?

PS we may be confusing welfare payments, which are different from healthcare costs
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,991
    edited October 2016
    Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

PlatoSaid said:

Clinton 44%
    Trump 43%
    Johnson 6%
    Stein 2%

Isn't there a rapidly expanding university/research triangle based around Duke and Charlotte? These kinds of place tend to help the Democrats.

• Options
    Y0kel said:

Anyone with any doubts what Wikileaks is and who it fronts needs to walk off a cliff because they are seriously brainless.

They are going early because their man is in a bit of diffs. The question is why and how it could kill Clinton amongst her base.

Having said that there is more about Trump and his long held ties in Moscow.The guy is a first rate traitor to his nation.

Are you suggesting that wikileaks aren't the independent truth seeking for the greater good organisation?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

PlatoSaid said:

Clinton 44%
    Trump 43%
    Johnson 6%
    Stein 2%

In NC, it has nothing to do with DC, but the Research Triangle, clustered around Duke, NCSU and UNC Chapel Hill. Google it.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

john_zims said:

@TwistedFireStopper

How so?
    Well, yes. Generalising wildly, the desire of the old to determine who lives next door to them has triumphed over the desire of the young to live where they please. I'm unconvinced that this is a good thing.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    SeanT said:

john_zims said:

@TwistedFireStopper

Not much will change.
    In the Remainiac worldview, absolute freedom of movement is an inalienable human right, but getting to hire and fire your lawmakers is a 20th century fad.
  • Options
    Well I laughed, periscope is a great debunker

BREAKING: Hillary staff passes out Pre-made signs to people in audience so it looks like they brought them...SHARE! https://t.co/uuP81LuNTA
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

PlatoSaid said:

Clinton 44%
    Trump 43%
    Johnson 6%
    Stein 2%

In NC, it has nothing to do with DC, but the Research Triangle, clustered around Duke, NCSU and UNC Chapel Hill. Google it.

Snap!!

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,211
    Alistair said:

Maddest combination since David Bowie and Bing Crosby

• Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Fair go, Doc. So having to fill in an extra form for the right to reside in, say, Portugal (which is all I had to do in the sixties) wouldn't cause you much bother.

You are happy living in Leicester, why the fuss about being able to live elsewhere in Europe?
    I may well retire there. I rather like the Italian lakes, but could be tempted by the Ionian coast of Greece. Great sailing and pretty ports.

Fox jr is likely to move abroad to work, most likely to Germany. It may not be so easy now.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited October 2016
    No idea how this was completed.....

Sky news poll shows respondents consider control of immigration more important than access to a single market

Some 52% prioritise controlling immigration while 40% think access to the single market is more important - 7% answered "don't know".

http://news.sky.com/story/more-than-half-favour-immigration-controls-over-trade-poll-reveals-10604088

Tables
    http://interactive.news.sky.com/SMSXXXII_BREXIT_300916_FP.pdf

EDIT just over 1000 respondents all Sky customers
  • Options

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Clinton 44%
    Trump 43%
    Johnson 6%
    Stein 2%

There was a marvellously bonkers interview on Sky news where he said that Trump just represented the establishment and wasn't a change candidate at all. The presenter didn't know what to say.
    Well if you where Ron Paul you wouldn't be voting Trump because is a nutcase, you wouldn't vote for Hillary because she is a basketcase, you wouldn't vote for Johnson because "what is aleppo", and you wouldn't vote McMuffin because even if he is on the ballot he is CIA.

So what's left ?
    Stein.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

john_zims said:

@TwistedFireStopper

How so?
    Well, yes. Generalising wildly, the desire of the old to determine who lives next door to them has triumphed over the desire of the young to live where they please. I'm unconvinced that this is a good thing.
    That is the most concise summary of Brexit that I have seen. I may steal it!
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,991
    edited October 2016
    FF43 said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

I thought healthcare was the responsibility of the country of residence. The EHIC card was specifically designed for people temporarily away from their residence and normal healthcare support, which in many countries is insurance. If so and bearing in mind the elderly demographic in Spain and the presumably high maintenance costs, I would think that a reasonable negotiating gambit from Spain. They are OK with it as long as everyone is part of the system, but if Britain isn't, why should Spain take on the extra burden?

PS we may be confusing welfare payments, which are different from healthcare costs

Host countries can claim back cost of treatment from the home country, but in Spain there's a lot of care expenditure for our elderly emigrants which can't be claimed back. As we tend to get young Spaniards we clearly get the best of the batgain currently. Brexit is a good rebalancing opportunity for the Spanish. I imagine a PP-led government will also try to do something around Gibraltar.

• Options
    Good

Brian Williams
    Plan for UK military to opt out of convention on human rights https://t.co/ctEFsATKYY
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,882
    Moses_ said:

No idea how this was completed.....

Sky news poll shows respondents consider control of immigration more important than access to a single market

Some 52% prioritise controlling immigration while 40% think access to the single market is more important - 7% answered "don't know".

http://news.sky.com/story/more-than-half-favour-immigration-controls-over-trade-poll-reveals-10604088

Tables
    http://interactive.news.sky.com/SMSXXXII_BREXIT_300916_FP.pdf

The table doesn't break out referendum vote, but based on other ones I have seen Leave voters will very strongly prioritise immigration control, while Remain voters will less strongly prioritise the single market.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I may well retire there. I rather like the Italian lakes, but could be tempted by the Ionian coast of Greece. Great sailing and pretty ports.

Fox jr is likely to move abroad to work, most likely to Germany. It may not be so easy now.
    This is where Young Enjineeya will benefit from Brexit. With a German mum, his German passport means he'll retain freedom of movement, so he'll be able to waltz straight on into any jobs on offer in the rEU while his competitors are faffing with the paperwork.
  • Options
    Apologies, for the foul language, and I thought about not posting but there is really so much sh1t being said by some on here about the US election whom I am guessing do not know any actual American voters (bar Todd who works in banking and lives in South Ken) and how they know that Trump has a less than a 10% chance etc etc etc...the man has far more of a chance than you think. I am not saying he will win but the value is with Trump, not with Clinton.

Why do I think a lot of sh1t is being said?

1. You are underestimating the NeverHillary camp - yes, all the noise is about NeverTrump (and Americans in the UK are the worst for this - they are particularly piqued by what they see as Trump's vulgarity). But there are a lot of people who HATE Clinton, even in the Democratic base - they do not trust her and think she is appalling; it is just far less socially acceptable to say so, particularly in an environment like the United States, which is far more PC at certain levels and where you get accused of being anti-women etc etc if you express such thoughts (and quite easily get fired in many places).

I will give you one example: in my wife's family (African-American, Middle Class), Obama got all four of their votes in 2008 and 2012; out of the six who will vote this time, HRC will get maximum three and probably two, And that is not uncommon to hear: African-Americans voted for Obama because he was one of them; HRC is not (and forget about the "love" they feel for Bill).

2. Because it is socially unacceptable to say in many quarters that you will vote Trump, his support is a lot more than appears. The number of conversations we have had with Americans - college educated Americans, Black and White and many who voted Democrat previously - is that they and their friends will vote for Trump but they will not dare say it openly. Now, maybe they do not. But there are too many conversations where this occurs to write it off.

3. His supporters are enthused, hers are not. The only ones where I see any vague enthusiasm for HRC is amongst old-school Democrats and particularly our college-educated, female American liberal friends in their late 40s upwards. And even they say she is "not ideal".

With Trump, sure people don't trust him but they are not voting for him, they are voting for what he is deemed to represent. A lot of people have been left behind in the States - HRC offers them nothing; Trump may not deliver but he just might.

4. This is seen as a "last stand" election by many pro-Trump supporters i.e. if HRC wins, she will pack the Supreme Court with "liberals"; that she will allow mass-scale immigration; and that, if you are white and blue collar, you will be at the back of the queue. That will get them out to vote.

DYOR - but do not trust people who make out they know everything when they know jack (and, no, I do not know everything either and may be completely wrong - but at least I have some connection to the place).

• Options
    FF43 said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

"Under current rules, Brits can access health services anywhere in the EEA at the same cost as a local. New reciprocal arrangements are likely to be agreed between the UK and other member states, but there is no guarantee. " http://www.cityam.com/245794/retiring-europe-you-should-wait-until-brexit-negotiations

I think for over 65s it seems to be an EEA rule. Certainly if Spain demands the UK pay [ an entirely reasonable request] and the UK demurs it would seriously harm UK pensioners in here without private cover. And for many both the cost and exclusions would make that a real problem, potentially forcing some to return to the UK. Just as well the UK NHS is in such good shape...OH wait..
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

PlatoSaid said:

Clinton 44%
    Trump 43%
    Johnson 6%
    Stein 2%

The research triangle is obviously the nucleus of it but from talking to a couple of different people who live in NC they said there has been a real shift iin the last decade of people who live in NC but do out of state work with the second order effect of Washington to Virginia being cited as the reason.
This discussion has been closed.