Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It looks as though TMay will make a big BREXIT announcement

SystemSystem Posts: 11,711
edited October 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It looks as though TMay will make a big BREXIT announcement tomorrow

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,528
    edited October 2016
    First like Farron in 2020
  • Options
    Bugger, Mike's pre-empted my morning thread.

Grrr grrr
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211
    IanB2 said:

I agree, he should hold on in Westmorland and Lonsdale.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    3rd in the sack race
  • Options
    But the other main betting related angle from the interview, she's ruling out an early election, she's going for 2020.
  • Options

Grrr grrr

But he's just posted the front page of the Sunday Times. Surely you can elaborate on it by making a reference to classical history that will be lost on plebs like me.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Asking for a friend: if we took the metropolitan elites from each country and put them in a country with no proles, do you think they would get on or would some soon become proles while others stayed the metropolitan elite?

And similarly, what about the workers?

What would Metropolita look like and what would Prolitana evolve into?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Asking for a friend: if we took the metropolitan elites from each country and put them in a country with no proles, do you think they would get on or would some soon become proles while others stayed the metropolitan elite?

The B Ark...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Grrr grrr

But he's just posted the front page of the Sunday Times. Surely you can elaborate on it by making a reference to classical history that will be lost on plebs like me.
    I shall see what I can do.

Theresa May = Basil II

Remainers = The Bulgars

The Great Repeal Bill = The Battle of Kleidion
  • Options

It is the process of globalisation. Reductions in differences between countries at the price of increasing inequality in each.

It is marxism in the 21st century, class interests and loyalties are greater than national ones.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    edited October 2016

I think that's already happened. It's why we're having the current political crisis we currently are. We're still a single polis but no longer a single demos. If we split into different polis as well there'd be a physical resource war I guess.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,130
    One of my solidly Republican friends has just posted an impassioned "Please Don't Vote for Trump" piece on Facebook. I don't think she's going to go as far as voting for Hillary, but I think this will be the first time in her life she has not voted Republican.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Eloi and morlocks respectively.

Actually the precedent is Liberia, where a ruling class of freed slaves evolved, built itself mansions modelled on those of the Deep South, and used their fellow freed slaves as, er, slaves.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

One of my solidly Republican friends has just posted an impassioned "Please Don't Vote for Trump" piece on Facebook. I don't think she's going to go as far as voting for Hillary, but I think this will be the first time in her life she has not voted Republican.

What state does she live in?
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Actually the precedent is Liberia, where a ruling class of freed slaves evolved, built itself mansions modelled on those of the Deep South, and used their fellow freed slaves as, er, slaves.
    Actually, it was the natives, not fellow freed slaves.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,971
    @rcs1000, have a bloody fantastic time tomorrow, you lucky git!
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

OK, Dr P. My copy of The Scramble for Africa was lost in the last house move, so I'll take your word for it.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited October 2016
    On 24th June.
    7.12AM Laura K of BBC "that does not mean that the PM is going to come out here and resign"
    8.20AM Cameron "I resign".
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

I agree, he should hold on in Westmorland and Lonsdale.
    Farron in 2020 may be the new Lib Dem grouping able to fit on a moped.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

OK, Dr P. My copy of The Scramble for Africa was lost in the last house move, so I'll take your word for it.
    Liberia is part of the continent of Africa, so would have had a pre-existing populace, no?
  • Options
    edited October 2016

"proles" What a disgusting attitude your friend has. You seem to mix with some very nasty people.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

I think that's already happened. It's why we're having the current political crisis we currently are. We're still a single polis but no longer a single demos. If we split into different polis as well there'd be a physical resource war I guess.
    In today's labour market the people with A levels and degrees (outside of Russell group) are generally earning less than the UK plumbers, plasterers and electricians that I mix with. The rise of tradesmen is creating its own dynamic and these people are going to be less susceptible to the effects of A.I.
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

Liberia is part of the continent of Africa, so would have had a pre-existing populace, no?
    Yes.
  • Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454
    I am sure Mrs May will make a big Brexit announcement tommorow. Otherwise whats the point of her speech if she ignores the the greatest issue of the day. Question is, and its not obvious from the article, what is the announcementt. Added a t for the pedants.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited October 2016

"proles" What a disgusting attitude your friend has. You seem to mix with some very nasty people.
    I think, though I'll check, that my friend would see himself as one of the proles.
  • Options

In today's market the people with A levels and degrees (outside of Russel group) are generally earning less than the UK plumbers, plasterers and electricians that I mix with.
    Wait: aren't the UK plumbers, plasterers and the like, the ones that are seeing competition from Eastern European immigrants?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

In today's market the people with A levels and degrees (outside of Russel group) are generally earning less than the UK plumbers, plasterers and electricians that I mix with.
    Wait: aren't the UK plumbers, plasterers and the like, the ones that are seeing competition from Eastern European immigrants?
    My comment applies to non-London. Not as much as brick layers have. There are some qualification and other barriers.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,060

Ishmael_X said:

OK, um..Haiti?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

My comment applies to non-London. Not as much as brick layers have. There are some qualification and other barriers.
    I would add I had an excellent British boiler technician round today. He was unbelievably expensive (quite outrageously so), but very competent.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Or perhaps the future world of the book by Charles Runyon "I,Weapon"

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4213149-i-weapon
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Sad the Tory party conference is the main driver of Brexit announcements.
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

Looks brilliant - "deeply sick and depraved".
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I have a flying lesson in a Spitfire tomorrow.

* Don't roll it. Unlike the Bf109's it fought, the Spit wasn't fuel injected, so if it pulled negative G the engine cut out. You can hear this in the "Battle of Britain" film (which used real Spits in the filming), where you can hear the engines sputter.
    * The green bit is the ground. The blue bit is the sky. Don't get the two mixed up.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Why
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

It's got everything. Sex, cannabalism and even a snuff sequence, and that is the heroine...
  • Options

In today's labour market the people with A levels and degrees (outside of Russell group) are generally earning less than the UK plumbers, plasterers and electricians that I mix with. The rise of tradesmen is creating its own dynamic and these people are going to be less susceptible to the effects of A.I.

* How much do you think plumbers/plasterers/electricians earn?
    * How much do you think people with A levels and degrees earn?
  • Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454
    Jonathan said:

Where did else did you think they would come from ? The Rolling stones ?
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

.......And the Labour conference was one that could not even mange to get Brexit in the top 8 of the agenda of course

If you are going to shill then at least do it properly and remember what happened only last week.

:wink:
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

.......And the Labour conference was one that could not even mange to get Brexit in the top 8 of the agenda of course

If you are going to shill then at least do it properly and remember what happened only last week.

I don't think that was meant for me.
  • Options
    The way I look at the world there’s one person who matters and six billion supporting players of varying levels of minor relevance.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

I think Ishmael_X was referring to the book "I, Weapon", and not the Tory Party Conference
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2016
    FPT:
    rcs1000 said:

I can't believe I'm on pb on a Saturday night.

But then I remember why. It's because I'm having a quiet night in. Because I have a flying lesson in a Spitfire tomorrow.

If, around 3pm, you are near Cambridge, and see a Spitfire fly overhead. That's me flying it, that is.

I'm going to be at Husbands Bosworth Gliding Club tomorrow, so I'll look out for you in the far distance.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,008
    rcs1000 said:

The way I look at the world there’s one person who matters and six billion supporting players of varying levels of minor relevance.

What about the other 1.4 billion?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Moses_ said:

Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

I think Ishmael_X was referring to the book "I, Weapon", and not the Tory Party Conference
    "Deeply sick and depraved"? It is an easy mistake to make...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The Tory Party is the driver of everything. We need to get used to it. This crisis is far, far worse than the early 80's. At least the SDP split mean't things were on the road to resolution and there was a semblance of alternative to keep things dynamic. Today Labour are nowhere near splitting, the Lib Dems are in ruins, the Greens are Corbyn mini mes and the country's only national calibre opposition leader, Nicola Sturgeon, want's to destroy the country.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

The Tory Party is the driver of everything. We need to get used to it. This crisis is far, far worse than the early 80's. At least the SDP split mean't things were on the road to resolution and there was a semblance of alternative to keep things dynamic. Today Labour are nowhere near splitting, the Lib Dems are in ruins, the Greens are Corbyn mini mes and the country's only national calibre opposition leader, Nicola Sturgeon, want's to destroy the country.
    Ruth Davidson doesn't
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

But then I remember why. It's because I'm having a quiet night in. Because I have a flying lesson in a Spitfire tomorrow.

If, around 3pm, you are near Cambridge, and see a Spitfire fly overhead. That's me flying it, that is.

I'm going to be at Husbands Bosworth Gliding Club tomorrow, so I'll look out for you in the far distance.
    Another lucky PBer going flying. :) Say hi to HusBos, I've not been there in years.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

Another lucky PBer going flying. :) Say hi to HusBos, I've not been there in years.
    Will do. I think it's the second biggest gliding club in the club after Lasham in Hampshire. Longstanding member and tug pilot Mike Till was telling me some amusing anecdotes about running a casino in Zambia in the 1970s last time I was there.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Jonathan said:

The capitulation of the opposition is a real problem.

Mind you if The Leavers do manage to cut immigration, the workers will be able to put the boot into the Brexiteer government quite nicely.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Observer:

Con 38, Lab 31, UKIP 16, LD 5

Tories and UKIP both up since the general election. Dire for the LDs.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

Will do. I think it's the second biggest gliding club in the club after Lasham in Hampshire. Longstanding member and tug pilot Mike Till was telling me some amusing anecdotes about running a casino in Zambia in the 1970s last time I was there.
    Indeed it is. I was a member of another gliding club before I emigrated a few years back, it's the one thing I really miss not doing. There's usually some great characters around the place, sounds like you found one in this tug pilot!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    AndyJS said:

Observer:

What pollster is that?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Observer:

A big chunk of Lib Dem support is self referential. It exists because of the uber localist social work of elected representatives. It doesn't preexist them wining. Now a chain saw has been taken to incumbency and the resources that go with it I've always felt the national vote share would dip before it begins to recover.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

AndyJS said:

Observer:

What pollster is that?
    Well, I think it must be Opinium because they usually do the Observer's polls.
  • Options
    From David Green:

Remember:

The left-hand Brexit ledger is called "Words" - and it gets fuller every day.

Keep watching the right-hand ledger, "Actions".
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Jonathan said:

Mind you if The Leavers do manage to cut immigration, the workers will be able to put the boot into the Brexiteer government quite nicely.
    Why wouldn't they reward them?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Clearly, Metropolita would become La Cage aux Folles, whereas Prolitana would become Lord of the Flies.
  • Options
    Opinium Poll for the Observer

Con 38 (+1)
    Lab 31 (nc)
    LD 5 (-1)
    UKIP 16 (+1)

(Changes since July 22nd)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/01/tory-conference-brexit-divisions-moderate
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    rcs1000 said:

Best for you to stay in her good books then :)
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited October 2016
    rcs1000 said:

I wonder if there will be a long-term negative "memory effect" on Republican candidates in the future - will lifelong Republican voters who have, for the first time, abstained or turned to the other side, going to be less certain to vote Republican in future? Once a habit is lost it strikes me that a psychological barrier has been removed for the future.

I found it much easier to vote Conservative after the first time I voted Conservative (in tactical votes, which isn't usually so much of an issue in US presidential elections, but still).
  • Options

Con 38 (+1)
    Lab 31 (nc)
    LD 5 (-1)
    UKIP 16 (+1)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/01/tory-conference-brexit-divisions-moderate

Another shift to the right and centre-right on top of everything else? Bloody hell.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Moses_ said:

Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

I don't think that was meant for me.
    Nope
    My apologies it wasn't at all.

It was to Jonathan's post but my fingers are rather large for the smaller text keys
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Could wink now have it in the right direction......
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Jonathan said:

Because the workers would gain the whip hand in disputes. Us docs for one...
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,238

Jonathan said:

Why
    Absolutely, who needs Parliament anyway?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

welshowl said:

Jonathan said:

Perhaps. I see your point. I can also see wage inflation reappearing if 450m people are removed from the potential workforce- and good say I. Anything that drives interest rates up is great in my book.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

rcs1000 said:

What about the other 1.4 billion?
    They post on here
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited October 2016

Con 38 (+1)
    Lab 31 (nc)
    LD 5 (-1)
    UKIP 16 (+1)

Poll boost for 21st Century Socialism....oh....must be a Zionist Conspiracy.
  • Options
    Westwood oh.
  • Options

Westwood oh.

Lee Westwood the Jade Dernbach of golf?
  • Options

Con 38 (+1)
    Lab 31 (nc)
    LD 5 (-1)
    UKIP 16 (+1)

Broken, sleazy LibDems on the slide?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

welshowl said:

Jonathan said:

Because the current Doc industrial action is really working....
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Mortimer said:

welshowl said:

Jonathan said:

Because the current Doc industrial action is really working....
    The vacancy rate is rising. People are voting with their feet.

And recruitment from Europe has already dropped.
  • Options

Westwood oh.

Lee Westwood the Jade Dernbach of golf?
    Indeed. What a selection howler. Another version is

Westwood 0.
  • Options
    Kaymer was a pick too.

0 pts. Also.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784

rcs1000 said:

I wonder if there will be a long-term negative "memory effect" on Republican candidates in the future - will lifelong Republican voters who have, for the first time, abstained or turned to the other side, going to be less certain to vote Republican in future? Once a habit is lost it strikes me that a psychological barrier has been removed for the future.

I found it much easier to vote Conservative after the first time I voted Conservative (in tactical votes, which isn't usually so much of an issue in US presidential elections, but still).
    it depends who the next republican candidate is (assuming Trump loses). The crazies who nominated him are still there.
  • Options

Kaymer was a pick too.

0 pts. Also.

Look on the bright side.

I've backed Spurs to beat City.

Ryder Cup and a Spurs match on the same time.

Best day ever for you.
  • Options

Kaymer was a pick too.

0 pts. Also.

Look on the bright side.

I've backed Spurs to beat City.

Ryder Cup and a Spurs match on the same time.

Best day ever for you.
    Gulp.....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    Just stepped off a plane to find a monumental Tory surge in the polls. I've still got it :D
  • Options
    "Hard Brexit will breed new bigotry, warns former Tory minister

Nicky Morgan raises fears on eve of party conference that lurch to the right could encourage attitudes like those of Donald Trump"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/01/hard-brexit-new-bigotry-warns-nicky-morgan
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Nicky Morgan raises fears on eve of party conference that lurch to the right could encourage attitudes like those of Donald Trump"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/01/hard-brexit-new-bigotry-warns-nicky-morgan

Not sure how the type of brexit would cause more/less intolerance....
  • Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

It's more the other way around. If we assume the everybody-who-isn't-me-is-evil-and-must-die crowd go for hard-Brexit (can I coin "E-phobic" for this, since they seem to be agin everything starting with an "E"[1]), and the open-internationalist-free-traders go for soft-Brexit, then you can see how the former may encourage said attitudes

[1] EEA, EFTA, ERASMUS, ESA, Ealing Borough Council, epaulettes...
  • Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

The referendum result validated a campaign that blamed the EU for a series of complex problems common to western democracies none of which are going to go away. The implicit question in Morgan's analysis is this. Why should the strategy of blaming a xenos end once we've left the EU ?
  • Options

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

The referendum result validated a campaign that blamed the EU for a series of complex problems common to western democracies none of which are going to go away. The implicit question in Morgan's analysis is this. Why should the strategy of blaming a xenos end once we've left the EU ?
    Im not sure how the type of Brexit changes anything in that regard?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,482
    edited October 2016
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

It's more the other way around. If we assume the everybody-who-isn't-me-is-evil-and-must-die crowd go for hard-Brexit (can I coin "E-phobic" for this, since they seem to be agin everything starting with an "E"[1]), and the open-internationalist-free-traders go for soft-Brexit, then you can see how the former may encourage said attitudes

We don't have to be members of the EU to participate in ERASMUS or the ESA...
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Im not sure how the type of Brexit changes anything in that regard?
    Well we don't know. Hard Brexit, and our Brexit seems to be hardening by the day, may be a huge success. What if nothing changes ? Or it's a disaster ? " The EU shafted us ! " " Our work visa quotas are still to high " " We can't compete with Mexican wages, this deal with NAFTA stinks ".
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"Lurch to the right?"

The exit route was given across the board including the Labour heartlands of the NE. Lets be honest about this its not a lurch to the right...nor the left... Or even the centre. It's the majority of the British people looking at the situation and saying

Nope!
  • Options
    Meanwhile

The one referendum not really mentioned is taking place today / tonight / tomorrow.

"Will Hungarians accept quotas of migrants enforced by the EU?
  • Options

viewcode said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

We don't have to be members of the EU to participate in EFTA or the EEA either
  • Options
    Scores injured in gas explosion near Malaga, Spain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37531537
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

We don't have to be members of the EU to participate in EFTA or the EEA either
    We don't have to be members of the EU at all...
  • Options
    The NYT has a fragment of one of Trumps tax returns. The Clinton campaign just tweeted the link. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/02/us/politics/donald-trump-taxes.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited October 2016

The NYT has a fragment of one of Trumps tax returns. The Clinton campaign just tweeted the link. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/02/us/politics/donald-trump-taxes.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

All very convenient timing. I am going to guess they have had this in the filing cabinet for a while. Given how much money his ventures lost at that time although a huge number it isn't surprising as even the NYT points out. But also makes sense why the IRS seems super keen to audit Trump on an extremely regular basis.

Forbes are going to publish an article on Trump's wealth this coming week. From the guy being interviewed he suggested that basically his recent tax records are unlikely to show massive income and would be misleading, as his wealth is all tied up in assets / brands.

His cliff notes were he is very very rich and stories of him not being are rubbish, but not $10bn rich Trump himself claims (basically he puts a crazy pie in the sky number of his personal brand).
  • Options

All very convenient timing. I am going to guess they have had this in the filing cabinet for a while. Given how much money his ventures lost at that time although a huge number it isn't surprising as even the NYT points out. But also makes sense why the IRS seems super keen to audit Trump on an extremely regular basis.

Forbes are going to publish an article on Trump's wealth this coming week. From the guy being interviewed he suggested that basically his recent tax records are unlikely to show massive income and would be misleading, as his wealth is all tied up in assets / brands.

His cliff notes were he is very very rich and stories of him not being are rubbish, but not $10bn rich Trump himself claims (basically he puts a crazy pie in the sky number of his personal brand).
    I agree it's entirely a process story. The fact he is super rich is clearly part of his attraction. I suspect his not releasing them and appearing shifty will be more damaging than having dumped the lot on the public as soon as he had secured the nomination.
  • Options

Con 38 (+1)
    Lab 31 (nc)
    LD 5 (-1)
    UKIP 16 (+1)

Despite recent talk of their supposed great recovery, is this the LibDems lowest poll score of all time?
  • Options

Con 38 (+1)
    Lab 31 (nc)
    LD 5 (-1)
    UKIP 16 (+1)

Despite recent talk of their supposed great recovery, is this the LibDems lowest poll score of all time?
    No, during the time of the merger there was one famous poll where they were reduced to an asterisk, because no-one in the sample said they would support them.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Con 38 (+1)
    Lab 31 (nc)
    LD 5 (-1)
    UKIP 16 (+1)

No, they hit 4% many times during 1989, and were on 3% with ICM's poll on 25th Nov 1989:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/historical-polls/voting-intention-1987-1992

They had a few 4% ratings during 1990 as well.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Con 38 (+1)
    Lab 31 (nc)
    LD 5 (-1)
    UKIP 16 (+1)

No, they hit 4% many times during 1989, and were on 3% with ICM's poll on 25th Nov 1989:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/historical-polls/voting-intention-1987-1992

They had a few 4% ratings during 1990 as well.
    My earlier post is a story that paddy ashdown likes to tell, which I suspect contains a degree of embellishment. I suspect it refers to Andy's 1989 3.0%, which may have been reported by one of the papers with an asterisk because the margin of error is also 3%.
This discussion has been closed.