Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The real mug punters at the moment are those piling onto a

Comments

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978

tim said:

So now the labour "fairness" argument has gone.

Once again, what is the point of Labour ?

Osborne wanting credit for inequality falling after three years without growth is like the Spanish govt trumpeting a fall in net migration as a sign of success.
    It's not difficult, but you'd be an idiot to rely on perma-stagnation to achieve policy goals.

The Gini coefficient has been broadly flat since Fatcha trebled benefit dependency.

https://twitter.com/dlknowles/status/354890013655330816/photo/1

Back on the attack, because you can't actually answer the question.

Ed's whole house of cards is built on saying nothing and keeping the pressure on the other side. But once "events" kick in and the pressure is back on Labour Ed's policy vacuum gets filled by events outside his control and the gaping holes in Labour's policy fabric become obvious.

Ed's now got a problem. Crosby appears to be stopping the self inflicted grief, the economy is picking up and the better off are paying more. So what's Ed going to do ? It appears the government might not want to lose the next election after all and Ed's doing nothing to win it. Call it quits and let the LDs hold the blues to account, at least they get results without bankrupting the country.

Really what is the point of Labour ? Care to give a reply ?

Is there anything that anyone can write that will not produce a LOL from a Labour-hater such as yourself?

If you ask me, the point of Labour is to strive to produce a society in which there is equality of opportunity, and to seek to do something about it when they are in power. Labour should also be a party built around internationalism and the idea that people and countries are stronger when they work together. If the reforms that EdM announced yesterday are seen through to conclusion (a big if) I think that Labour will be in a far better position to become this kind of party.

I didn't put a LOL in that post SO - LOL

As for your definition well at least you're prepared to give it a go which the party apparatchiks have chickened off doing. However what you say Labour stands for is showing your age. Little of what you propose resembles the modern Labour party. it might have been Labour fifty years ago, but today Labour is primarily a sectional interest group for the Public sector, middle class ideologues and minority pressure groups and is basing it's election plans around getting those people mobilised to vote for it. The principles of a modern forward looking party have long gone and aren't coming back. Porkbarrellissimo.

Hence my final sentence. All parties are sectional interests, though I think Labour's section is a little bigger than you think - it gets millions of votes, even at its lowest ebb, many of which do not come from public sector workers, middle class ideologues or minority pressure groups. In fact, most Labour voters are like most of the people who vote for most of the other parties: pretty ordinary, getting on with their lives, engaged in a range of occupations and not really that interested in ideology.

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @tim

Finally a state spending cut we can cheer!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited July 2013
    Neil said:

JackW said:

Bournemouth again !!

There's something JohnO isnt telling us about his connection to Bournemouth, JackW!
    The fleshpots of the south coast are clearly a draw to JohnO .... Dare we delve too deep before the watershed - I think not !!

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,408
    If the pressure on Root was huge at the start of play....
  • Options
    The odd "Len" or two at PMQ's ??

Titters ....
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,896

stodge said:

stodge said:

As an LD, in the unlikely event that we're in a position to be part of another Government, I would have the continued rise in personal allowances as the absolute dealbreaker (it's certainly far more important than electoral reform).

If we are entering some form of Osbornian golden economic age as Avery posits ad infinitum and ad nauseam, we should be aiming to raise the personal tax allowance threshold to £15k in the life of the next Parliament as well as raising the rate at which the 40% tax rate kicks in to perhaps £47,500 by 2020.

These seem far more sensible policies than straight tax cuts which some seem to be advocating and which would disproportionately favour the minority of high earners rather than helping the majority of medium to low wage-earners.

I'm surprised Labour aren't saying more about this.

abolish uni fees and stop crippling the next generation
    Even if the LDs wanted to do it, I suspect neither the Labour nor the Conservative parties would. I agree the commitment to abolishing fees was a disastrous political error for which the Party will be paying for a long time to come.

That said:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tuition-fees/repaying-your-student-loan/if-you-come-from-england/

Given what we have, my immediate thoughts are that the income at which loans start to become repayable could be raised to perhaps £30k to give more people more time to start building up savings and I would also be looking at the interest rates charged on the loans and asking if these loans shouldn't really be interest-free. It's part of the investment we're making in the individual and the individual is making in themselves and thereby for the benefit of the whole economy.
    Do you also support taxpayer subsidised loans to people who do not choose to go to university?

It's an interesting question and if you're saying that if people who choose to invest in some form of non-University education such as an apprenticeship should be supported, then yes, I would say so.

Clearly, there would need to be some kind of course, training or plan in place to enable such a loan to be granted but it's something to think about just as we should support budding entrepreneurs who decide to set themselves up in business rather than go to University.

One idea I've heard is to rent out spare space in Government or Local Authotiy offices as such "business incubators". Is this something you'd support?
  • Options
    JackW said:

The odd "Len" or two at PMQ's ??

Titters ....

Surely a Buddha. The resignation letter by TW remains the political highlight of the week.

• Options
    tim said:

Is JohnO like one of these long distance lorry drivers you read about whose wives meet up at his funeral.

Better than having lots of people he owes gambling debts to meeting at his funeral!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

tim said:

So now the labour "fairness" argument has gone.

Once again, what is the point of Labour ?

Osborne wanting credit for inequality falling after three years without growth is like the Spanish govt trumpeting a fall in net migration as a sign of success.
    It's not difficult, but you'd be an idiot to rely on perma-stagnation to achieve policy goals.

The Gini coefficient has been broadly flat since Fatcha trebled benefit dependency.

https://twitter.com/dlknowles/status/354890013655330816/photo/1

Back on the attack, because you can't actually answer the question.

Ed's whole house of cards is built on saying nothing and keeping the pressure on the other side. But once "events" kick in and the pressure is back on Labour Ed's policy vacuum gets filled by events outside his control and the gaping holes in Labour's policy fabric become obvious.

Ed's now got a problem. Crosby appears to be stopping the self inflicted grief, the economy is picking up and the better off are paying more. So what's Ed going to do ? It appears the government might not want to lose the next election after all and Ed's doing nothing to win it. Call it quits and let the LDs hold the blues to account, at least they get results without bankrupting the country.

Really what is the point of Labour ? Care to give a reply ?

Is there anything that anyone can write that will not produce a LOL from a Labour-hater such as yourself?

If you ask me, the point of Labour is to strive to produce a society in which there is equality of opportunity, and to seek to do something about it when they are in power. Labour should also be a party built around internationalism and the idea that people and countries are stronger when they work together. If the reforms that EdM announced yesterday are seen through to conclusion (a big if) I think that Labour will be in a far better position to become this kind of party.

I didn't put a LOL in that post SO - LOL

As for your definition well at least you're prepared to give it a go which the party apparatchiks have chickened off doing. However what you say Labour stands for is showing your age. Little of what you propose resembles the modern Labour party. it might have been Labour fifty years ago, but today Labour is primarily a sectional interest group for the Public sector, middle class ideologues and minority pressure groups and is basing it's election plans around getting those people mobilised to vote for it. The principles of a modern forward looking party have long gone and aren't coming back. Porkbarrellissimo.

Hence my final sentence. All parties are sectional interests, though I think Labour's section is a little bigger than you think - it gets millions of votes, even at its lowest ebb, many of which do not come from public sector workers, middle class ideologues or minority pressure groups. In fact, most Labour voters are like most of the people who vote for most of the other parties: pretty ordinary, getting on with their lives, engaged in a range of occupations and not really that interested in ideology.

Your last sentence accepts it's a big if. Personally I can't see Miliband being in a position to upset his only reliable source of funds and nor is he in a position to do anything substantive if PM since the wreckage of the last Labour government will take several Parlts to clear up. However if you're seriously telling me the modern Labour party is a body which pursues equality , a healthy economy and a cohesive society, I'd suggest you look again, since the rhetoric and the reality are poles apart.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,298
    tim said:

Is JohnO like one of these long distance lorry drivers you read about whose wives meet up at his funeral.

Perhaps it'll be several lorry drivers that'll turn up at his funeral (long may it be delayed)?
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Bonum nuntium perveniat ad infinitum et nauseam pro Stodgio

Barratt Developments Plc, Britains second largest housebuilder, made an upbeat statement to the markets today, stating that new builds and sales were coming in higher than analysts' forecasts due to general economic recovery and the stimulus being provided to the housing market by the government.

Barratt’s weekly sales rate was up 17.9 percent in the second half, with an increase of 34.7 percent since the government introduced its Help to Buy program in April.

The Bank of England’s Funding for Lending Scheme also eased home lending and the government has tried to bolster housing by simplifying planning policies.

Home completions increased from a year earlier 16.1 percent to 13,663 and the average private home selling prices increased 9 percent to 221,000 pounds. The company said it may reach its target of 16,000 completions annually earlier than expected.

All good news for those on PB who constantly call for more house building.
  • Options
    165 amendments to Ireland's abortion Bill before the Dáil - guillotine at midnight, it's going to be a long day.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Ed Miliband to announce in PMQs that his core supporters will soon be able to vote Labour by pressing the red button on the Sky remote.
  • Options
    tim said:

Oh god he's going on about Andy Murray again.

Game, set and match, tim.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,791
    edited July 2013
    Cameron screw up in first comment - congrats to Andy Murray 'first British player to win in 77 years'.....what was Virginia Wade then, chopped liver?

Edit....Ed picked him up on it.....
  • Options
    Huge cheers for Ed .... from the Coalition benches.
  • Options
    tim said:

Oh god he's going on about Andy Murray again.

Makes a very pleasant change from dead soldiers.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    More panda death stares from EdM at PMQs.
  • Options
    Why has the Speaker allowed a question about Party funding - surely PMQs is about Government, not party business?
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    Morning all.

On topic: I don't think the odds on the three realistic options are actually too far out. It is a capital mistake, and a very easy one, to extrapolate from the current polling too literally. You need to factor in political uncertainty, which over nearly two years is considerable (this works both ways of course). Just look at the polling shift in Germany over the last couple of years.

Put it this way: I wouldn't want to be laying Con Maj for any significant sum at 3/1.

FWIW I'm currently very nicely in profit for any outcome. Those who followed my advice in selling in the (now sadly moribund) SPIN Most seats market when the Tories were clear favourites will have been able to effectively close out at a nice profit, either on SPIN or (as I've done) by backing Con Most Seats when the odds shifted too far the other way.
  • Options

Why has the Speaker allowed a question about Party funding - surely PMQs is about Government, not party business?

Hasnt the Government been making noises about legislating for party funding?

• Options
    edited July 2013
    EdM is nw defending himself at PMQs - why? He's playing PMAs - he's given Cameron an open goal to have a massive pop.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Cameron floundering here.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Poor stuff from rEd.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Poor stuff from Siddle. ;)
  • Options
    Ho ho ho.

The wannabe emperor has no clothes.

When put to the test, Miliband flunks.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,008
    Maybe it's my old Labour roots but I can't help thinking Ed M is much more professional at PMQs than Cameron almost every time
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

Dave slips up badly on a £5k limit.

Big error.

By saying that it will lead to a big bill for tax payers? Then offering Ed legislation on Trades Union funding - which Ed ducks?

• Options
    rEd sounding like Rik Mayall - without the gags.

• Options
    EdM is in desperate Look Squirrel mode re 2nd jobs - this is risible.
  • Options
    Miliband loses his cool.

Oh dear. All pointy fingers and waving arms.
  • Options
    Is Milliband suggesting that the taxpayer should be on the hook for party politics?

Is there ever a problem for which the Labour answer isn't "more spending" from the taxpayer?
  • Options
    Class war card brought out.
  • Options
    Cameron 1/10
    EdM 6/10
  • Options
    Last ball 6 from Cameron.
  • Options

Cameron 1/10
    EdM 6/10

Impartial as ever. We'd expect no less....

• Options

Cameron 1/10
    EdM 6/10

And on what points are you scoring this result?
  • Options

Cameron 1/10
    EdM 6/10

I fear you are having trouble with fractions, Mr. Smithson.

I recommend a short burst of cramming with Mr. Gove,

• Options
    tim said:

Struggling on second jobs as well

But the donations cap is the killer.

I seriously doubt there will be any bodies, I confidently predict there will be more pantomime throughout the rest of the year.
  • Options
    tim said:

Dave is going to have to have a better answer on a donations cap and second jobs, that was embarrassing.

And Ed's going to have to have a better answer on legislation for Trades Union donations and tax payer funding for political parties - a sure fire vote winner.....

• Options
    Cameron 7/10
    EdM 2/10 .... 1 for turning up and 1 for not leaving his notes in the lavvie.
  • Options

Cameron 1/10
    EdM 6/10

OGH after union funding for the site ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2013

Cameron 1/10
    EdM 6/10

tim said:

Cameron getting his arse kicked here.

It's the Smithson/Tim love-in again - ffs get a room guys:)
  • Options
    Key point is that rEd uses his 6 questions on Labour party infighting not the issues of the country.

Labour first, next and last.
  • Options
    Yeah, got my buddha.

Generally a lot more heat than light as usual. Monday will be a better test when the government offers to put Ed's half thought through plans into law.

But I agree that the tories need to think through the second job issue. It is a distraction but it is one that may well have traction.
  • Options
    The donations cap and MPs second jobs points are one that Dave should have had better responses to.

It was blindingly obivous that these were going to come up and his shouty response was poor.

TGOHF said:

Cameron 1/10
    EdM 6/10

OGH after union funding for the site ?
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Definitely a more strained performance from DC, but mostly it's back to nothing that's really going to change the mind of the swing voter. Well within the margin of no overall winner - because it takes something to make PMQs a success in themselves.
  • Options
    Adam Boulton:

"COMMENT Score draw, which will disappoint the Tories. EM speech and diversionary tactics took the heat off him. Came out fighting."
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Key point is that rEd uses his 6 questions on Labour party infighting not the issues of the country.

I can't recall the last time LotO got himself sucked into defending himself - very silly, particularly trying to divert onto 2nd jobs that aren't an issue anywhere right now.

He should have just pivoted the subject onto something where he could win.
  • Options
    If you don't like it you don't have to come here.

I'm telling it a I see it and I'm not a LAB or a CON backer.

scampi said:

Cameron 1/10
    EdM 6/10

tim said:

Cameron getting his arse kicked here.

It's the Smithson/Tim love-in again - ffs get a room guys:)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Second jobs is an interesting one.

I am all in favour of having more MPs from diverese backgrounds, but as being MP can be a short career it is important to retain skills, such as NPXMPs work.

It is paid work that is only because of political connections that is the issue.

And the more that Gordon has to keep himself occupied away from Westminster the better!

DavidL said:

Yeah, got my buddha.

Generally a lot more heat than light as usual. Monday will be a better test when the government offers to put Ed's half thought through plans into law.

But I agree that the tories need to think through the second job issue. It is a distraction but it is one that may well have traction.

• Options
    tim said:

tim said:

Dave is going to have to have a better answer on a donations cap and second jobs, that was embarrassing.

And Ed's going to have to have a better answer on legislation for Trades Union donations and tax payer funding for political parties - a sure fire vote winner.....

The judgement of
    farmer tim need not detain us long either...

• Options
    Plato said:

TGOHF said:

I can't recall the last time LotO got himself sucked into defending himself - very silly, particularly trying to divert onto 2nd jobs that aren't an issue anywhere right now.

He should have just pivoted the subject onto something where he could win.
    Problem for rEd is there are very few subjects he can win - apart from sneering at successful people.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    I'd put Miliband and Cameron on about 5/10 each.

Lots of sound and fury and not much else.

Meanwhile, the sun's shining, the economy's recovering and most people couldn't care less about party funding.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited July 2013
    Only tim the Cheshire farmer and mystic understands the magical qualities of his great leader..So that makes two of them. Everyone else is just too darn stupid .
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,008
    Two future Labour electoral successes disagreeing in 1992

http://youtu.be/MW9YQf6rRE8
  • Options
    Both sides ignoring the beam in their own eyes whilst shouting about the splinter in their enemy's eyes. 1/10 each.

Let's have upper limits for all major donations incl hedge funds, unions, the lot.

But let's also allow and indeed celebrate MPs who have interests and experience beyond the House.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Meanwhile, the sun's shining, the economy's recovering and most people couldn't care less about party funding.

Apart from the fact that the voters don't want to pay for party funding.

Ed's £5K is too little. £50K probably a wee bit too much but the limit should be set at the level where the public is unlikely to pick up the tab.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Does anyone have a record of who tim predicted to win the last GE.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,896
    AveryLP said:

Barratt Developments Plc, Britains second largest housebuilder, made an upbeat statement to the markets today, stating that new builds and sales were coming in higher than analysts' forecasts due to general economic recovery and the stimulus being provided to the housing market by the government.

Barratt’s weekly sales rate was up 17.9 percent in the second half, with an increase of 34.7 percent since the government introduced its Help to Buy program in April.

The Bank of England’s Funding for Lending Scheme also eased home lending and the government has tried to bolster housing by simplifying planning policies.

Home completions increased from a year earlier 16.1 percent to 13,663 and the average private home selling prices increased 9 percent to 221,000 pounds. The company said it may reach its target of 16,000 completions annually earlier than expected.

Thank you for the latin sentiments, Avery. Not sure about the "Stodgio" - makes me sound like a sumo wrestler.

http://www.cityam.com/article/we-must-produce-invest-and-export-more-and-consume-less

Another devastating critique of UK economic performance from that well-known left-winger Allister Heath, who seems to be as trenchant a critic of Osborne as you are a fan. The manufacturing figures weren't good, were they and far from trying to get off the narcotic of cheap money and QE, there's talk of even looser monetary policy.

Everyone knows at some point rates will have to rise - I presume Osborne wants that to be the other side of 2015 but there are a lot of people for whom the normalisation of monetary policy will be a real shock.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

That's all Cameron wanted to talk about last week. Perhaps Ed thought he should address topics that are of interest to the PM, since he clearly does not want to discuss issues such as primary school places and food banks.

• Options

Does anyone have a record of who tim predicted to win the last GE.

Dunno but he had money on Gove to be the next minister out back in 2010....
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Sounds like forgetting PMQs was on worked out well.

I wonder if Balls is worried about retaining this seat. Just got another letter from him. Weird that Labour sends letters and the Conservatives e-mails. Presumably the Lib Dem carrier pigeon was taken out by the sparrowhawks that live nearby.
  • Options
    I'm completely against the ban on MPs second jobs. The current practice of disclosure is correct.

Having said that I think EdM is on to a winner pursuing with this and already he's changed the terms of the party funding debate.

As I said yesterday opening up the issue party funding has huge risks for the Tories.
    Patrick said:

Both sides ignoring the beam in their own eyes whilst shouting about the splinter in their enemy's eyes. 1/10 each.

Let's have upper limits for all major donations incl hedge funds, unions, the lot.

But let's also allow and indeed celebrate MPs who have interests and experience beyond the House.

• Options
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Apart from the fact that the voters don't want to pay for party funding.

Ed's £5K is too little. £50K probably a wee bit too much but the limit should be set at the level where the public is unlikely to pick up the tab.
    Exactly - typical Labour position is to advocate a solution which involves more tax payer spending.

• Options

If you don't like it you don't have to come here.

I'm telling it a I see it and I'm not a LAB or a CON backer.

I think if you analysed your recent interventions you would have difficulty justifying that comment. However, if you don't like my views of course you can ban me from your site. There are plenty of other posters who can see what I'm getting at.

• Options
    tim said:

Hague now mouthing "stupid woman" at Cathy Jamieson.

These twit school boys can't help themselves.

tim, what on earth is your definition of a "twit school"? Is it any school that has ever educated someone who became a Tory?

• Options
    tim said:

Are you suggesting that Wath Comprehensive School is a twit school, tim?
  • Options

Second jobs is an interesting one.

I am all in favour of having more MPs from diverese backgrounds, but as being MP can be a short career it is important to retain skills, such as NPXMPs work.

It is paid work that is only because of political connections that is the issue.

And the more that Gordon has to keep himself occupied away from Westminster the better!

DavidL said:

Yeah, got my buddha.

I agree with all of that, especially the Gordon Brown point.

As I have said a couple of times now the idea floated on here (not by me) that there is a deduction from their salaries on a pound for pound basis seems a sensible compromise. Those that want to keep up their professional links can do so; those who want to simply remind themselves what the real world can and those whose skills are such as to attract substantial earnings can save the taxpayer some money by effectively being an MP for free!

Personally I would be delighted if this was combined with more paid posts inside the Commons in relation to standing committees etc.

But politically Cameron wants to sort out a position and think through how he justifies that position.

• Options
    Vince on next re Royal Mail. It's on it's last legs and needs serious help to succeed.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited July 2013
    Off-topic:

David Warner is off to Africa (to play Zimb and Saffahs-B). Let us hope he grows up in the next eighteen-months: Being thrown off an Ashes tour is not something that happens lightly....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/23234567

Edited-to-add: Why cannae we flag OGH as a "troll"? I know he is ex Al-Beeb but really....
  • Options

TGOHF said:

That's all Cameron wanted to talk about last week. Perhaps Ed thought he should address topics that are of interest to the PM, since he clearly does not want to discuss issues such as primary school places and food banks.

So Ed has accepted yet more of the Tory agenda then.

What is the point of Labour ?
  • Options
    Things you never thought you would write #4567

"really positive batting by Trott this morning."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2013
    Mike,

Agree. The main parties are all pretty much closed shops full of out of touch rent seekers. Funding should be capped and absolutely NEVER replaced or made up with public funding. If parties can't get much money then they just have to live with what they can get. Learing to live within their owns means would be a good start for parties wanting to run the country. We all need to live within our means. Screw 'em.

Plenty of organisations survive and indeed thrive with close to no money. Parties don't NEED alot of money - they WANT alot of money. Big difference.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Vince on next re Royal Mail. It's on it's last legs and needs serious help to succeed.

But how's the Royal Mail doing?

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Labour's Helen Goodman says Andrew Tyrie, a Conservative, described the government's response to the commission on banking's report as in some respects useless. Is that the government's response to the donations it has received from bankers?

Do Labour MPs really believe this garbage? Or are they so terminally stupid that they really think HSBC, Barclays, RBS and Lloyds - the four banks which are affected by banking reform - make donations to the Conservative Party?
  • Options
    tim said:

Patrick O'Flynn ‏@oflynnexpress
    Cam says Murray "first British player to win Wimbledon for 77 years". EMil reminds him of Virginia Wade. #pmqs

#twitschoolmisogynist

In fact both Ed and the PM were wrong.

The last British player to win Wimbledon before Murray was last year when Jonathan Marray was one part of the team that won the Mens Doubles.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

tim said:

Are you suggesting that Wath Comprehensive School is a twit school, tim?
    obviously Fettes couldn't be, could it ?
  • Options

Labour's Helen Goodman says Andrew Tyrie, a Conservative, described the government's response to the commission on banking's report as in some respects useless. Is that the government's response to the donations it has received from bankers?

Do Labour MPs really believe this garbage? Or are they so terminally stupid that they really think HSBC, Barclays, RBS and Lloyds - the four banks which are affected by banking reform - make donations to the Conservative Party?

She said bankers, not banks, Richard!
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    tim said:

Patrick O'Flynn ‏@oflynnexpress
    Cam says Murray "first British player to win Wimbledon for 77 years". EMil reminds him of Virginia Wade. #pmqs

#twitschoolmisogynist

Andy Murray's lickle brother; The Ozzie bird from Jersey; and - probably - 'Buster' Motram to name a few. Not very good on facts are most peeps....
  • Options
    I wonder what Mandy thinks of RMail move? He was v keen on it IIRC.
  • Options
    shipmate1shipmate1 Posts: 37
    Haven't been on here for a while and off today watching cricket so thought i'd "lurk" again. Don't mind the partisan threads but endless repetition can get a tedious. However I do expect the host to be set the standards and at the moment that is very low. As he said though, if you don't like it, don't come on here - which is why I will now revert back to occasional lurking.
  • Options
    PMQ's review (Not having seen it):

Sun is shining. Politicians being shouty about party-political party things that don't affect or interest many people. More people tomorrow will be talking about a relatively unpopular sport (Cricket Ashes) or an off-season sport (Football Transfers) than anything brought up today at PMQs.

No Score Draw. I doubt a single voter anywhere in the entire country will change their 2015 vote because of today.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Coral ‏@Coral Big gamble on the #RoyalBaby to be called Alexandra today. Now 2/1, from 4/1. 90% of bets taken on the child's name today have been on it!

The bookies are making a mint out of this.
  • Options

Sun is shining. Politicians being shouty about party-political party things that don't affect or interest many people. More people tomorrow will be talking about a relatively unpopular sport (Cricket Ashes) or an off-season sport (Football Transfers) than anything brought up today at PMQs.

No Score Draw. I doubt a single voter anywhere in the entire country will change their 2015 vote because of today.

Indeed. And what most people will be discussing today, as far as politics goes, is the fact that thanks to the ECOHR it appears Ian Brady, Rose West and the Yorkshire Ripper may soon be walking the streets.

Wonder how many questions were asked about that at PMQ's?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Neil said:

She said bankers, not banks, Richard!
    Indeed, I imagine she doesn't know the difference. There aren't actually many bankers who donate to the party at all, and as far as I'm aware precisely zero who have any financial interest in how big banks are regulated. James Lupton (whom I know very slightly) gave £255K in Q1, and he is an investment banker (and a mega-talented one); however, it's utterly bonkers to think he'd have any personal interest in the government's response on banking reform.
  • Options
    Hilary Benn - like father like son, if not politically certainly in hand movements.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Indeed. And what most people will be discussing today, as far as politics goes, is the fact that thanks to the ECOHR it appears Ian Brady, Rose West and the Yorkshire Ripper may soon be walking the streets.

Wonder how many questions were asked about that at PMQ's?
    Indeed. That is the "populist" issue of the moment and is what more people would want discussing. But no easy answer on it so may as well totally avoid the discussion as its too difficult and play Punch & Judy instead.
  • Options
    tim said:

@Avery

Maybe the boarding school he was sent to first is the common misogynist link rather than fees.

John Ashmore ‏@smashmore_PH 5m
    Just had another watch and you can clearly see Hague mouthing "stupid woman, stupid woman" at Labour's Cathy Jamieson

These people are polluted by something

John Ashmore ‏@smashmore_PH 5m
    On top of Hague's jibes at @cathyjamieson, Dave forgot that a British woman won Wimbledon in the 70s - women problems?

Sad isn't it.

Tim, I'll be blunt.

After all the insults you've given out to Plato, Fitalass and back in the day, SallyC, you lecturing on misogyny is a bit like Harold Shipman lecturing about Geriatrics.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul
    PM's spokeswoman after #PMQs can't say at what level Cameron would accept a cap on donations.

And Ed Miliband after his big speech can't say what he's proposing for union funding, when he's proposing to introduce it, what the effect on voting structures in Labour will be, or indeed anything else.

• Options

tim said:

PM's spokeswoman after #PMQs can't say at what level Cameron would accept a cap on donations.

And Ed Miliband after his big speech can't say what he's proposing for union funding, when he's proposing to introduce it, what the effect on voting structures, or indeed anything else.

On Monday he will be voting against opting in on the basis that it has to be a part of a "balanced package" of measures. And he will look even more ridiculous.

• Options
    tim said:

I would have thought £25,000 would be about right. Half what it is now, but enough to ensure the tax payer doesn't get dragged in.

• Options
    Pretty even steven morning at the cricket with a much more positive run rate from England than we saw against NZ. The loss of both openers is obviously disappointing but the match is moving on. Scoring rates like this (along with lost wickets) make a draw even less likely.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    GIN1138 said:

tim said:

I would have thought £25,000 would be about right. Half what it is now, but enough to ensure the tax payer doesn't get dragged in.

Unless I've missed something, there isn't a cap on donations at the moment. Mr Cameron has suggested a £50,000 cap in past, but nothing came of it.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Ah right. I thought a cap was set at £50,000.

Though I freely admit party funding isn't my niche subject, LOL.

Still think £25,000 sounds about right tho, just because...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Pretty even steven morning at the cricket with a much more positive run rate from England than we saw against NZ. The loss of both openers is obviously disappointing but the match is moving on. Scoring rates like this (along with lost wickets) make a draw even less likely.

Indeed a far more enjoyable experience than watching the rearguard chaff being thrown up at Pmqs.

Eng bowlers could get medieval on the this deck on day 4/5.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

A decent score in the first innings and Swann with a 300 lead on a turning pitch day 4 into 5 would be lovely. It sounds like a good wicket. Our boys have to apply themselves.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    stodge said:

AveryLP said:

Thank you for the latin sentiments, Avery. Not sure about the "Stodgio" - makes me sound like a sumo wrestler.

http://www.cityam.com/article/we-must-produce-invest-and-export-more-and-consume-less

Another devastating critique of UK economic performance from that well-known left-winger Allister Heath, who seems to be as trenchant a critic of Osborne as you are a fan. The manufacturing figures weren't good, were they and far from trying to get off the narcotic of cheap money and QE, there's talk of even looser monetary policy.

Everyone knows at some point rates will have to rise - I presume Osborne wants that to be the other side of 2015 but there are a lot of people for whom the normalisation of monetary policy will be a real shock.

Stodgio is the ablative case of Stodgius. It sounds good to my ears: more opera verismo baritone than Sumo wrestler though.

I don't think you can read much into the manufacturing figures in May, as they were distorted by the transfer of the second May 2012 bank holiday to June as part of the Jubilee celebrations. ONS did not seasonally adjust the month on prior year's month figures as the bank holiday move was not a "recurring event".

Say there were 22 working days in May 2012 and 21 in May 2013, you would expect a 4.5% fall in the May 2013 output figures ceteris paribus. Of course it is much less as many of the larger manufacturers work 24 hour days and 7 day weeks, but the impact is still likely to be much more than the 0.8% contraction in recorded in the ONS figures. This conclusion is backed up by most PMI surveys and other relevant metrics which is indicating reasonable if not spectacular growth in manufacturing over the month,

What I did find welcome in the ONS report was news that gas and oil extraction rose by 4.9% in May over April. I have been searching in vain for evidence to support such a strong reversal in trend since the BoE started to hint that increases in North Sea output were underpinning economic recovery. As DECC figures report four months in arrears it is difficult to follow this sector in parallel with other government figures.

As for Allister Heath, I guess he is predisposed to see the proverbial glass as half empty rather than full. He states:

The UK needs to boost its output of goods and services. It needs to increase its exports. It needs to save more and deleverage. It needs to invest more in viable projects and consume less. Needless to say, it is tricky to pull off all of these changes at the same time, especially if key export markets are doing badly. But that is no excuse for the UK’s sad performance, which belies the slight improvement to the overall growth picture.

The truth is all the key metrics he refers to are improving (over reasonable periods of measurement) just not at the rate he desires. Government, the private sector and households have and are continuing to deleverage. Imports are growing less than exports. Consumption as a proportion of GDP is falling.

Heath is right about investment falling but this has been a deliberate policy for government investment as Osborne has given higher priority to reducing net borrowing than stimulating growth. It is no accident that the recent spending review has phased a return to more normal levels of investment to coincide with the time the Treasury estimates that the net borrowing figures are due to start to show a surplus. So Osborne has decided to heal the wounds first rather than run faster now.

Private Sector investment has also been below expectation but, as Heath points out, most large British corporations are sitting on cash mountains ready to be invested in the UK as demand returns to the economy. Barclays stated earlier this week that there are clear signs of this declining investment trend reversing in the latter half of 2013.

So all in all, the glass probably is more full than empty. Committed drinkers may not be happy that it is not filling faster, but the more sober among us should be content,
This discussion has been closed.