Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This will go down as one of the classic Andrew Neil intervi

13»

Comments

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@nsoamesmp: Have told my Constituency that contrary to what I announced in Feb I have decided that I am going,if they readopt me,to stand again #fighton</blockquote

Good News ! Let's prop Ken up with a stick for another term as well!

• Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Scott_P said:

@britainelects: Liberal Democrat GAIN Stow (Cotswold) from Conservative.

@britainelects: Stow (Cotswold) result:
    LDEM: 64.9% (+21.0)
    CON: 35.1% (-21.0)

Another good night for the Liberals in Tory Remainia.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    chestnut said:

taffys said:

Massive remainer wibble over Sunderland tonight.

How many redundancies have been announced again??

They seem to have forgotten that WTO tariffs give the exchequer a projected £9bn to 'compensate' business with.

Nissan's 'compensation' will be paid by BMW,
    Oi, don't spend my £350 million per week on industrial subsidies!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,037
    taffys said:

''At the heart of the Remain argument seems to be view that the UK governments will do crazy economic things, or carry out barbaric social policies, outside of the EU.''

At the heart of the remainer argument is a contempt for the capabilities and potential of the country they live in, in favour of a rotting customs union whose banking system is on the verge of collapse.

Certainly, a massive lack of confidence in the judgement of their fellow citizens.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Is Witney in play?

Over to you Mark Senior!
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Shami is impressive.

Left-liberal, telegenic, charming. Good communicator who might actually get elected by Labour's nutty membership yet could reunite the party. Shami for leader. Why not?

The obvious problem is that she needs a seat, but very possible otherwise.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

taffys said:

''At the heart of the Remain argument seems to be view that the UK governments will do crazy economic things, or carry out barbaric social policies, outside of the EU.''

At the heart of the remainer argument is a contempt for the capabilities and potential of the country they live in, in favour of a rotting customs union whose banking system is on the verge of collapse.

Certainly, a massive lack of confidence in the judgement of their fellow citizens.
    To be fair the British electorate has voted in crap governments for nearly all my life, so yes it is very possible that they will do so again.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

Jobabob said:

Shami is impressive.

Left-liberal, telegenic, charming. Good communicator who might actually get elected by Labour's nutty membership yet could reunite the party. Shami for leader. Why not?

Indeed.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Shami is impressive.

Did you type that one-handed? :lol:
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Re Nissan.

I believe the common line on here whenever there is good and positive news on Brexit is " well it's to early to tell, we will know in the next decade etc etc etc" while anything negative about Brexit is an "immediate disaster starting tomorrow morning , they were warned etc etc etc. "

So I guess with Nissan it's an immediate disaster but Apple and Honda it's to early to tell.

Next.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,209
    Jobabob said:

Shami is impressive.

Wasn't patient enough to wait for a parliamentary seat. I hardly doubt she could have had one if she wanted one too.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @britainelects: Conservative HOLD Cherry Willingham (West Lindsey).
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,000
    edited September 2016
    Is this the worst Question Time in history?

Priti Patel is a cabinet minister. Richard Burgon is a shadow cabinet minister. Jesus Christ.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,037

Sean_F said:

taffys said:

To be fair the British electorate has voted in crap governments for nearly all my life, so yes it is very possible that they will do so again.
    I think it's in the nature of things that governments are rarely very good, but UK governments are plainly better (or less bad) than average.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    DavidL said:

In fairness Chakrabarti handled him as well as any and better than most. He is tenacious and difficult to deal with but she answered the questions in a straightforward way.

And I am not especially a fan.

She did not. She had no answers to his questions about which Jewish organisations endorsed her report. She was equally evasive on when she first had any discussions about the possibility of a peerage and did not answer the question about when she was first offered it.

I want to see Cyclefree interviewing Chakrabarti.

I'd enjoy that!

I have never thought her anything more than a ninny unable to utter anything more than the sort of banalities that an intelligent first year politics student would be ashamed to make. I know quite a lot about her which is not public which reinforces my view.

@MaxPB is right. Her record on civil liberties is not that good. She showed appalling judgment in relation to the LSE and its acceptance of Ghaddafi family money. She has praised CAGE's main man as a wonderful defender of human rights (CAGE, FFS!) and she failed to speak up for free speech when Geert Wilders was banned, a ban overturned in the courts. There is no record of her challenging Lord Ahmed, a Labour peer, when he accused the judge who sentenced him for a traffic offence of allowing his Jewishness to bias him against him, something you might have though a lawyer concerned about the integrity of the judicial system and anti-Semitism in the Labour Party might have worried about.

She has no real understanding of civil liberties, nor of the threats they face from the sort of people her leader supports and associates with.

She is an idiot with no moral compass. Well suited for today's Labour Party. Unfit to be in Parliament.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

In fairness Chakrabarti handled him as well as any and better than most. He is tenacious and difficult to deal with but she answered the questions in a straightforward way.

She is an idiot with no moral compass.
    Her moral compass points to Corbyn!
  • Options

Priti Patel is a cabinet minister. Richard Burgon is a shadow cabinet minister. Jesus Christ.

Priti Patel not doing well in Boston.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Blackpool Tylesdley

Lab 535
    Con 297
    UKIP 238
    LDem 37

West Lindsey Cheery Willingham

Con 555
    Lab 288
    UKIP 244
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,919
    edited September 2016
    Cyclefree said:

She is an idiot with no moral compass. Well suited for today's Labour Party. Unfit to be in Parliament.

A lawyer with a moral compass is like a tiger with a taste for tofu. Rare.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

A lot of the Tory hard right, after years of being vote losers, have fooled themselves into thinking that the EuroRef result was a personal endorsement of them and means the country loves them really and that all Cameron's focus on the centre ground was unnecessary.
  • Options
    Ally_BAlly_B Posts: 185

taffys said:

"At the heart of the remainer argument is a contempt for the capabilities and potential of the country they live in"
    At the heart of the remainder argument is an accurate assessment of the capabilities and potential of the country they live in. (Take off those rose tints, they don't suit you IMHO).
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

You have yet to meet me.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @britainelects: Liberal Democrat HOLD Glaven Valley (North Norfolk).
  • Options

Question Time is like doing a jigsaw. A pointless way to pass the time until you die!
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

A lot of the Tory hard right, after years of being vote losers, have fooled themselves into thinking that the EuroRef result was a personal endorsement of them and means the country loves them really and that all Cameron's focus on the centre ground was unnecessary.
    That's a fair point. I find that unlikely myself, but to them it's a smaller example of the dame feeling the hard left is experiencing.
  • Options
    North Norfolk Lib Dem hold

LD 429
    Con 281
    UKIP 32
    Lab 23
    Green 12
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,942

Blackpool Tylesdley

Lab 535
    Con 297
    UKIP 238
    LDem 37

Con 555
    Lab 288
    UKIP 244

There seems to be some confusion over the Blackpool result. Britain Elects has the Lib Dem in 3rd place and UKIP in 4th.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

You have yet to meet me.
    Note that I have studiously avoided any joke along the lines of saying "That's because I don't hang out in dodgy pubs."

It would be great to meet you. Hopefully at a future PB meet up.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

You have yet to meet me.
    Note that I have studiously avoided any joke along the lines of saying "That's because I don't hang out in dodgy pubs."

It would be great to meet you. Hopefully at a future PB meet up.

I'd like that!

(I'm studiously avoiding any jokes about only going to dodgy pubs to meet PB'ers.)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,664

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

They were warned...
    Zero sympathy for the Nissan workers if they voted Leave. They were repeatedly warned but chose to listen to those who called it "scaremongering"
    We're leaving the EU to free ourselves to subside industry. A UK govt subsidy to Nissan is I'm sure exactly what the Brexiteers had in mind.
    Brexit means taking us back to the politics of the 70s. Anyone thinking we were going to become a giant Singapore will have to come to terms with having been useful idiots in a campaign which had nothing to do with their aspirations.
    Perhaps I'm reaching, but I think it unlikely any British government will legalise the closed shop and secondary picketing, or reinstate prices and incomes policies.
    A Corbyn led government (snip)

Non calcola ?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Derby Allestree Con hold Lib Dems move to 2nd

Con 2006
    LDem 1053
    Lab 409
    Green 115
    UKIP 91
  • Options
    slade said:

Blackpool Tylesdley

Lab 535
    Con 297
    UKIP 238
    LDem 37

Con 555
    Lab 288
    UKIP 244

There seems to be some confusion over the Blackpool result. Britain Elects has the Lib Dem in 3rd place and UKIP in 4th.
    My figures taken from the council website
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

She did not. She had no answers to his questions about which Jewish organisations endorsed her report. She was equally evasive on when she first had any discussions about the possibility of a peerage and did not answer the question about when she was first offered it.

I want to see Cyclefree interviewing Chakrabarti.

I'd enjoy that!

I have never thought her anything more than a ninny unable to utter anything more than the sort of banalities that an intelligent first year politics student would be ashamed to make. I know quite a lot about her which is not public which reinforces my view.

@MaxPB is right. Her record on civil liberties is not that good. She showed appalling judgment in relation to the LSE and its acceptance of Ghaddafi family money. She has praised CAGE's main man as a wonderful defender of human rights (CAGE, FFS!) and she failed to speak up for free speech when Geert Wilders was banned, a ban overturned in the courts. There is no record of her challenging Lord Ahmed, a Labour peer, when he accused the judge who sentenced him for a traffic offence of allowing his Jewishness to bias him against him, something you might have though a lawyer concerned about the integrity of the judicial system and anti-Semitism in the Labour Party might have worried about.

She has no real understanding of civil liberties, nor of the threats they face from the sort of people her leader supports and associates with.

Well said, yet again.

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,272
    taffys said:

The first part ("crazy economic things") isn't unreasonable: in fact, given that people such as Fraser Nelson and out own Black Rook are arguing that our heavily-indebted-and-overspending government should borrow further to increase spending, it would seem the "crazy economic things" are happening right now. I also invite you to consider Help-To-Buy, Osborne's premature announcement of the BTL tax changes, Hinkley Point...but I'm sure you can compile your own list

The second part ("barbaric social policies") is more about leaving various human rights legislations than the EU per se, but taking it seriously for the moment. Why do you think that "barbaric social policies" are improbable? Over the past two hundred years, we've had pestilence, unrelieved famine, war, internment, torture, violent insurrection, forced relocation. We like to think we are different from our forebears but human propensity for great cruelty remains unchanged, our original sin. Our somewhat prelapsarian present comfort and security is historically abnormal and historically there is no guarantee it'll continue.
    taffys said:

At the heart of the remainer argument is a contempt for the capabilities and potential of the country they live in

It's more a concern that Leave contents itself with comforting illusions and fails to get to grip with reality. "Contempt" is an overpromise: thinking somebody is factually wrong is not the same as holding them in contempt
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

I doubt it, sir. A man who can change a prince's mind is like a dog who speaks *Norwegian*: even rarer! I shall be at Mrs. Miggins' Literary Salon in twenty minutes. Bring the book there.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,664
    How sad that Gary Johnson is unbelievably useless

No Leppos, that reply with his tongue stuck out, now this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uXFb0eSYjEA
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited September 2016

Jobabob said:

Shami is impressive.

She's an acceptable communicator in a very narrow field of expertise. The fact that you're writing this when you know next to nothing about her (what are her views on education, on tax, on state intervention in the economy, on foreign affairs) and what she believes on a range of subjects is a a comment on the current talent pool in the Labour Party.
  • Options
    nunu said:

" registered Democrats are 138 percent of where they were in 2012, and registered Republicans are 77 percent of their 2012 numbers on the same day."- This is culmulative so far.

Repubs are way underpreforming Democrats in North Carolina Abstentee ballots, that seems really bad even accounting for historic Democrat voters who vote Republican, are we seeing the effects of a poor gound game vs. a good one? 86,000 abstentee ballots have been requested so far so will b crucial considering Romney only won the state by 96,000.

Genuine question: is this bulge phenomenon WWC registering to vote *for* Trump or non-whites registering to vote *against* Trump? And is this phenomenon in other states as well? OK, two questions... :)
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

How sad that Gary Johnson is unbelievably useless

No Leppos, that reply with his tongue stuck out, now this:

Above all he's fatally undermined the argument to legalise cannabis.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,679
    edited September 2016
    viewcode said:

taffys said:

At the heart of the remainer argument is a contempt for the capabilities and potential of the country they live in

It's more a concern that Leave contents itself with comforting illusions and fails to get to grip with reality. "Contempt" is an overpromise: thinking somebody is factually wrong is not the same as holding them in contempt
    LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

:innocent:
  • Options
    The Telegraph: Britain's ruling classes were only group to vote to stay in the EU at referendum, major new report finds. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwjq2Uoi4
  • Options
    Lib Dem Party Membership is now over 80,000 the highest since 1999
  • Options
    matt said:

Jobabob said:

Shami is impressive.

She's an acceptable communicator in a very narrow field of expertise. The fact that you're writing this when you know next to nothing about her (what are her views on education, on tax, on state intervention in the economy, on foreign affairs) and what she believes on a range of subjects is a a comment on the current talent pool in the Labour Party.
    She is a massive step up from anyone else on the Labour front bench, or for that matter on the government front bench.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,038

I hope you are sitting down, Mark :D
  • Options

that's not very high
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

that's not very high
    Not compared to Labour. It is compared to the Tories though!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

that's not very high
    Conservative Party membership is around 140,000 , the 2 Labour warring factions are of course much higher
  • Options
    edited September 2016

viewcode said:

taffys said:

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

:innocent:
    Lemmings and anti immigrants 52%
    Those pro the UK economy 48%
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    edited September 2016

It's nice to see the corpse of the old girl twitching. Like one of those nature programmes where great aquatic life has colonised the wreck of a sunken battleship. It might eventually bring a tear to my eye.
  • Options

viewcode said:

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%
    Why do you think that contradicts what I said?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    viewcode said:

nunu said:

" registered Democrats are 138 percent of where they were in 2012, and registered Republicans are 77 percent of their 2012 numbers on the same day."- This is culmulative so far.

Repubs are way underpreforming Democrats in North Carolina Abstentee ballots, that seems really bad even accounting for historic Democrat voters who vote Republican, are we seeing the effects of a poor gound game vs. a good one? 86,000 abstentee ballots have been requested so far so will b crucial considering Romney only won the state by 96,000.

Genuine question: is this bulge phenomenon WWC registering to vote *for* Trump or non-whites registering to vote *against* Trump? And is this phenomenon in other states as well? OK, two questions... :)
    not sure but the accepted returned ballots so far are 80% white where as North Carolina electorate as a whole is I believe 70% white only. I don't know the swing based on race from 2012, but theat is conflicting news on the one hand the fall in Repub returns so far are bad for Trump but the over representation of whites are good for him (unless white liberals are shitting themselves) also many of the returns are from abroad who lean democrat. Returns from Maine are also showing better Democrat turnout which is good for Clinton.

https://twitter.com/electproject
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited September 2016
    New YouGov poll has been done, although the Times doesn't seem to have included voting intention figures, and the YouGov website doesn't have them yet either.

Times does give a few snippets though, including that Theresa May's approval rating is still a very healthy net +24 (46% say she's doing well, 22% badly). HOWEVER, on Brexit specifically, she's seen as doing a bad job (16% approval vs 50% disapproval), and she's also seen as "out of touch" (40% say she is, vs 29% who say she's in touch), and "unlikeable" (35%, vs 32% who say she's likeable).

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/may-fails-to-convince-voters-on-brexit-9chpmqphs
  • Options
    nunu said:

viewcode said:

nunu said:

not sure but the accepted returned ballots so far are 80% white where as North Carolina electorate as a whole is I believe 70% white only. I don't know the swing based on race from 2012, but theat is conflicting news on the one hand the fall in Repub returns so far are bad for Trump but the over representation of whites are good for him (unless white liberals are shitting themselves) also many of the returns are from abroad who lean democrat. Returns from Maine are also showing better Democrat turnout which is good for Clinton.

https://twitter.com/electproject
    Thank you for the response: I appreciate it.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    edited September 2016
    Danny565 said:

New YouGov poll has been done, although the Times doesn't seem to have included voting intention figures, and the YouGov website doesn't have them yet either.

Times does give a few snippets though, including that Theresa May's approval rating is still a very healthy net +24 (46% say she's doing well, 22% badly). HOWEVER, on Brexit specifically, she's seen as doing a bad job (16% approval vs 50% disapproval), and she's also seen as "out of touch" (40% say she is, vs 29% who say she's in touch), and "unlikeable" (35%, vs 32% who say she's likeable).

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/may-fails-to-convince-voters-on-brexit-9chpmqphs

Fascinating but in defence of May I suspect the nature of the beast on Brexit. She'll have pissed off all Remainers with the " Brexit means Brexit " stuff but disillusioned Brexiteers by not invoking A50, not blown up the channel tunnel, bombed Turkey etc etc. I can't see anyone who'd be doing a better job at the moment.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,478
    edited September 2016
    No problem with anti-Semitism in Labour Party...we had a report and everything...

The vice-chair of pro-Corbyn group Momentum is under pressure to quit over allegations of anti-Semitism. Jackie Walker has faced criticism over comments made on social media and at an anti-Semitism training event.

The TSSA union says it will "seriously reconsider" its support for Momentum if Ms Walker remains in place and the group says its steering committee will meet on Monday to seek her removal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37513813
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    There is no accompanying text or article to accompany the interview clip, so I am a bit puzzled as to how and why it is supposedly going to go down in history as one of the most earth-shattering brilliant classic interviews in the entire history of the universe. Yesterday, I got an unsolicited phone call from a PPI person, so I threatened to bite off his elbow and throw his pet armadillo out of the window. This does not somehow mean that PPI is going to invade Mongolia and start World War 3, just because some people don't understand analogies properly.
  • Options
    Leaver trigger warning...

Here's the skeleton argument being presented in the Brexit A50 court case:

https://www.matrixlaw.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/PCIPs-Article-50-skeleton-redacted.pdf
  • Options

https://www.matrixlaw.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/PCIPs-Article-50-skeleton-redacted.pdf

Do you know why bits are redacted?
  • Options
    RobD said:

No. Particularly in the case of a sentence that starts 'The Secretary of State argues that...' it doesn't make much sense.
  • Options

RobD said:

No. Particularly in the case of a sentence that starts 'The Secretary of State argues that...' it doesn't make much sense.
    Superinjunction because their case is so good that it's criminal?

I'll get my coat....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,398
    edited September 2016
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Superinjunction because their case is so good that it's criminal?

I'll get my coat....
    It seems I'm behind the curve. The government was forced to allow an unredacted version to be published and it's available here - https://www.bindmans.com/uploads/files/documents/Article_50_final_corrected_and_unredacted_version.pdf

The mysterious sentence I mentioned below is, "The Secretary of State
    argues that it is for him or another minister, not for Parliament, to decide to start this process, even though once it has started neither this nor any subsequent Parliament would be in a position to stop it."
  • Options

Thanks for the link. I'm not a lawyer but it's a fascinating read.
  • Options
    I see the hearing on the A50 case has slipped a few weeks into mid October. I wonder if the timetable of the Supreme Court ruling on any appeal by the year end can still hold ?
  • Options
    for the lurkers out there.. new thread!
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,026
    The Brexit A50 court case is going to be difficult for the Government.

Anti-Government case

Government case https://www.bindmans.com/uploads/files/documents/Defendant_s_Detailed_Grounds_of_Resistance_for_publication.PDF

Flavour of arguments:

Anti-Government case
    As a residual power, the prerogative cannot today be extended.
    The need to ensure executive accountability to Parliament by limiting the exercise of prerogative power, particularly in respect of important decisions affecting citizens' fundamental rights has been endorsed across the political spectrum including the Defendant himself. (David Davis)

Government case
    A notification under Article 50 would be an administrative act on the international law plane about which complaint cannot be made by any individual claimant in the domestic courts.

The Government may well lose the case and it will then go to appeal which it may also lose.

I think it is becoming increasingly likely that Theresa May will call a General Election in May 2017 to get an unambiguous mandate and sort out her majority.
This discussion has been closed.