Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump: grinding his way to victory?

124»

Comments

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

What powers are there within the American Constitution to stop bonkers Presidents doing bonkers things?

Impeachment process can be started for "treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors" - SO HRC could be successfully impeached for her appalling breach of security as that is an indictable offence.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Lol. Even for a weekend this is early to be knocking back the drink?

If the right wing populists who believe this kind of thing ever get a sniff of power, we can be confident there will be lots of new things they will find for the state to do. As did every right-wing populist through history, with larger rather than smaller states than before.

Ok, Im exaggerating and being hyperbolic, but you get the point.

This country since June 24th is like Narnia after the curse was lifted and the snow melted. The white witches curse that blanketed the country since 1st May 1997 has finally been dispelled.

Incidentally in a Guardian Friendly remake of the lion witch and the wardrobe, when the curse was dispelled and the permanent winter ended with it getting milder and the snow melted, instead of rejoicing and celebrating would they all be running round shrieking about catastrophic climate change?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Moses_ said:

"He would have made more just investing in the stock market, some accumen"

My sincere apologies. I bow to your obvious stock market acumen as I didn't realise we had a Wall St guru here . Prey do tell, which investments did you make on the stock market that has built you a worldwide empire and got you that lovely yacht with a helipad?

You do have an business empire of course?.....worldwide? ....Ok an ocean going yacht then.......?

You don't ?......oh?

( I have no idea but perhaps he just preferred the life challenge rather than the easy route who knows and probably he doesn't either but either way he did actually build something and was successful)

If Trump had taken his inheritance from his Dad (I believe about $100m which was serious money in the early 70s) and invested it im the s&p500 then he would gave done better than he's done in business from a financial perspective. If course it's slightly unfair, but Trump isn't the brilliant businessman he likes to make out - it's like Branson/Virgin primarily a brand licensing model
    He might have made the same money, but would he have the same assets in terms of property? I freely admit I don't understand it all. And I've always known the 'self made man' stuff about Trump was bollocks. I'd always thought it was 50 mill though.
    Meaningless distinction. There are few real estate assets that are iconic enough that they are not equivalent to the cash value as an investment.
    Arguably a skyscraper bearing your own name would be one of them.
    Names can be changed. It's just branding.
    Once an iconic building's name has seeped into the public's consciousness it's very hard to change. People still refer to the NatWest Tower and this attempt at rebranding has been an abject failure - http://www.salesforce-tower.com/
    Yes. But most people wouldn't pay a premium for a "Trump Tower": it's just an investment. They have, in living memory, paid well over the odds for the Rockefeller Plaza and the asking price for Admiralty Arch is stratospheric.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Yeah, right. I was a remainer, and I think something like the Royal Yacht would be a good idea: from what I recall of the 'debate' when it was taken out of service, it was generally a net-positive for the economy.

It's also 'flyng the flag', and a lot more effectively than sending warships on a trip.

There is perhaps an argument to be made that a yacht for trade missions is a good idea, showcasing British engineering talent and successful exports, but...

...if such an argument were to be made, it would make more sense for the yacht to be a brand new Sunseeker rather than an antiquated relic of a long dead industry.

Unless you are a Brexiteer of course :smile:
    To create a yacht with the size and facilities of Britannia these days would surely be massively more expensive than recommissioning the existing one.
    Unlikely. It needed a hefty refurb in the 1990s and that was 20 years ago. Better to commission a new one.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

IanB2 said:

If the right wing populists who believe this kind of thing ever get a sniff of power, we can be confident there will be lots of new things they will find for the state to do. As did every right-wing populist through history, with larger rather than smaller states than before.

This country since June 24th is like Narnia after the curse was lifted and the snow melted. The white witches curse that blanketed the country since 1st May 1997 has finally been dispelled.

Incidentally in a Guardian Friendly remake of the lion witch and the wardrobe, when the curse was dispelled and the permanent winter ended with it getting milder and the snow melted, instead of rejoicing and celebrating would they all be running round shrieking about catastrophic climate change?
    Except no snow has melted.

Until Article 50 is activated our status is unchanged.

We are expeiencing Schrodingers exit. Until we open the box we don't know if it as a good thing or not.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Yeah, right. I was a remainer, and I think something like the Royal Yacht would be a good idea: from what I recall of the 'debate' when it was taken out of service, it was generally a net-positive for the economy.

It's also 'flyng the flag', and a lot more effectively than sending warships on a trip.

There is perhaps an argument to be made that a yacht for trade missions is a good idea, showcasing British engineering talent and successful exports, but...

...if such an argument were to be made, it would make more sense for the yacht to be a brand new Sunseeker rather than an antiquated relic of a long dead industry.

So can we assume you're in favour of demolishing the Houses of Parliament and replacing it with a brand new building instead ?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Moses_ said:

"He would have made more just investing in the stock market, some accumen"

My sincere apologies. I bow to your obvious stock market acumen as I didn't realise we had a Wall St guru here . Prey do tell, which investments did you make on the stock market that has built you a worldwide empire and got you that lovely yacht with a helipad?

You do have an business empire of course?.....worldwide? ....Ok an ocean going yacht then.......?

You don't ?......oh?

( I have no idea but perhaps he just preferred the life challenge rather than the easy route who knows and probably he doesn't either but either way he did actually build something and was successful)

If Trump had taken his inheritance from his Dad (I believe about $100m which was serious money in the early 70s) and invested it im the s&p500 then he would gave done better than he's done in business from a financial perspective. If course it's slightly unfair, but Trump isn't the brilliant businessman he likes to make out - it's like Branson/Virgin primarily a brand licensing model
    He might have made the same money, but would he have the same assets in terms of property? I freely admit I don't understand it all. And I've always known the 'self made man' stuff about Trump was bollocks. I'd always thought it was 50 mill though.
    Meaningless distinction. There are few real estate assets that are iconic enough that they are not equivalent to the cash value as an investment.
    Arguably a skyscraper bearing your own name would be one of them.
    Names can be changed. It's just branding.
    Once an iconic building's name has seeped into the public's consciousness it's very hard to change. People still refer to the NatWest Tower and this attempt at rebranding has been an abject failure - http://www.salesforce-tower.com/
    Yes. But most people wouldn't pay a premium for a "Trump Tower": it's just an investment. They have, in living memory, paid well over the odds for the Rockefeller Plaza and the asking price for Admiralty Arch is stratospheric.
    My point was its value to Trump as an individual. He wouldn't be able to pay cash for another building, rename it and achieve the same status.

As for the other examples, the intangible value is already reflected in the cash price so there's really no distinction between them and other real estate assets from that perspective.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Essexit said:

You will however find them performing advanced mental gymnastics after the little people have got it 'wrong', to explain why democracy isn't really about people voting for things.

Ishmael_X said:

"Populist" in this context means "perversely pretending to think that 52% is more than 48%."

What really upsets the remoaners is that they were defeated by the 'wrong' sort of people.

Namely working class people 'up north', coastal town 'chavs' and 'rustics' from poor farming areas. All places they have never been to or sometimes even head of before.

These were the top ten Leave areas in Britain:

Boston, South Holland, Castle Point, Thurrock, Yarmouth, Fenland, Mansfield, Bolsover, East Lindsey, NE Lincolnshire

and these the top ten Remain areas in Britain:

Lambeth, Hackney, Haringey, Islington, Wandsworth, Camden, Edinburgh, Cambridge, Southwark, Oxford

The remoaners are having the same experience that the French and Russian aristocracies had in 1789 and 1917.
    More leaver whinging. It's hilarious.

A note for you:

You won

Sorry, but it seems like you haven't noticed. :)
    We won Brexit, but that is just the first battle to win the war to roll back and reverse not just Blairs changes but Wilsons as well. I want to see everything the likes of Roy Jenkins, Peter Mandelson and Tony Crosland stood for and fought for reduced to rubble.

In short, I want the state rolled back to the size it was prior to World War 1
    An end to human decency and civilisation as we know it.Perhaps you are a member of the Arbeit Macht Frei wing of the Tory Party .
  • Options
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:

To create a yacht with the size and facilities of Britannia these days would surely be massively more expensive than recommissioning the existing one.
    Unlikely. It needed a hefty refurb in the 1990s and that was 20 years ago. Better to commission a new one.
    A modern high tech Brittania would be a much more positive statement about Britain, with some cool retro touches perhaps in order to keep the brand
  • Options
    'You're a F****** A*******!': Labour civil war explodes behind the scenes of BBC's Question Time as John McDonnell and Alastair Campbell almost come to BLOWS

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3794037/You-F-Labour-civil-war-explodes-scenes-BBC-s-Question-Time-John-McDonnell-Alastair-Campbell-come-BLOWS.html

From two such nice guys as well, I am totally shocked.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Thrak said:

Sean_F said:

Interesting that while theipsos national was good for Clinton, it has also released state polls that are better for trump.

Penn - C2
    Ohio - C4
    Florida - T4
    NC -C3
    Michigan - tie
    Colorado - T3
    Wisconsin - C3
    Nevada - T4
    New Mexico - T5!
    Maine - C1

Those are some pretty odd numbers.
    Trump leading in states with high Hispanic populations whilst doing worse in rust belt areas according to those. Doesn't seem to match other polling at all.
    maybe hispanic voters have given up on immigration reform and are saying they won't vote?
    the rust belt was traditionally blue-collar workers who would vote Democrat as 'their party'. So Trump has low support there as the white workers are not as republican leaning.

It includes Michigan and Wisconsin

Michigan Voted Obama by +9.5 (54.21 - 44.71)
    Wisconsin Coted Obama by +6.94% (52.83 - 45.89)

Since Trump is within +3 then he has made some inroads.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

We are expeiencing Schrodingers exit. Until we open the box we don't know if it as a good thing or not.
    More fear from Project Fear.
  • Options

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

A modern high tech Brittania would be a much more positive statement about Britain, with some cool retro touches perhaps in order to keep the brand
    Can't we encourage Philip Green to 'donate' his in return for soft-pedalling on BHS?
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    weejonnie said:

619 said:

all the news networks and major papers are leading with trump being a birther and a liar. interestimg to see how that effects the polls next week

He said that Obama was born in the USA. Period.

How does that make him a birther?
    ha ha ha ha

i know youre trolling, but the last 7 years of public statements make him the head of the birther movement.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,601

IanB2 said:

Calling a common sense statement of fact - that we'll find out what Brexit means when it happens - 'Project Fear' is just paranoia gone mad
  • Options

And in other news, Double Barrel Lives Matter activists are all a load of poshos...

Triple barrel if you please... :)

'Natalie Geraldine Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes'
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited September 2016

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Yes but please not a Sunseeker or anything that looks like a modern super yacht. A Royal Yacht that looks like something that every other Russian oligarch or Saudi prince has would not do the job.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Guardian on special offer

Owen Jones on how to start a revolution. Only in the Guardian today. Get £1 off the paper https://t.co/ZjioZcyF7x
  • Options

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Yes but please not a Sunseeker are anything that looks like a modern super yacht. A Royal Yacht that looks like something that every other Russian oligarch or Saudi prince has would not do the job.
    Though Sunseeker is a successful British export brand.

Something bespoke would be more fitting.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Essexit said:

You will however find them performing advanced mental gymnastics after the little people have got it 'wrong', to explain why democracy isn't really about people voting for things.

Ishmael_X said:

"Populist" in this context means "perversely pretending to think that 52% is more than 48%."

What really upsets the remoaners is that they were defeated by the 'wrong' sort of people.

Namely working class people 'up north', coastal town 'chavs' and 'rustics' from poor farming areas. All places they have never been to or sometimes even head of before.

Boston, South Holland, Castle Point, Thurrock, Yarmouth, Fenland, Mansfield, Bolsover, East Lindsey, NE Lincolnshire

Lambeth, Hackney, Haringey, Islington, Wandsworth, Camden, Edinburgh, Cambridge, Southwark, Oxford

The remoaners are having the same experience that the French and Russian aristocracies had in 1789 and 1917.

A note for you:

You won

We won Brexit, but that is just the first battle to win the war to roll back and reverse not just Blairs changes but Wilsons as well. I want to see everything the likes of Roy Jenkins, Peter Mandelson and Tony Crosland stood for and fought for reduced to rubble.

An end to human decency and civilisation as we know it.Perhaps you are a member of the Arbeit Macht Frei wing of the Tory Party .
    Jenkins? Reversing his reforms. So bring back theatre censorship and the birching of prisoners?
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    edited September 2016

Looks like I picked a bad week to give up popcorn..

Simon Dedman ‏@SiDedman · 19h19 hours ago
    .@Arron_banks tells @BBCEssex "it's unfortunate" @DouglasCarswell is the UKIP MP for clacton #UKIPConf

.@Arron_banks tells @BBCEssex @DouglasCarswell is "a career politician" who is "out of touch" #UKIPConf

.@Arron_banks tells @DaveMonkShow @DouglasCarswell's best attribute is "his wonky jaw" #UKIPConf

.@Arron_banks "I think he joined because he thought #UKIP would beat him at the general election" - on @DouglasCarswell #UKIPConf

There's a reason Carswell won UKIP's only seat, and it's not because he's out of touch with his constituents:

Carswell is a furiously efficient campaigner, and runs the neatest campaign office I’ve ever seen... he has a good local party helping him canvass what is now considered a Ukip safe seat...Carswell seems quite fixated on the experiences of Michael Portillo and Chris Patten, who unexpectedly lost their seats while telling others how to win theirs. ‘They thought their people were out delivering their leaflets for them,’ he tells me, as he walks from house to house, delivering leaflets. ‘But they weren’t, and they lost.’

...his campaign team do say – as a compliment – that this candidate could win the seat as an independent because of the personal brand he has built up...That personal brand is quite extraordinary. Douglas Carswell is a backbench MP, and was in his previous incarnation as a Tory. Yet as we walk along the main streets of Clacton, he is stopped every 10 metres by people wanting a chat...

Clacton likes Carswell not just because he knocks on its voters’ doors and eschews national media opportunities to do so. He also deploys a number of canny techniques to build his personal brand. A number of the houses we visit have ‘no cold callers’ stickers... on the back of the sticker is a picture of Carswell, along with his name and contact details. Every time that voter leaves their house, they see their Ukip candidate.

He also has very firm ideas about how his party should campaign nationally, and has been advising it on its target seats. How much of what he has learned as a Tory campaigner is he trying to pass on now to his Ukip colleagues? ‘A lot, I’m trying a lot. When you are fighting a European campaign, the trick is to make noise. This isn’t about making noise.'
    (from the Spectator)

Call it partisan rivalry, but the Conservatives I campaigned with for Leave expressed concern that UKIP would use the referendum as a chance to learn how to campaign, and relief that they didn't seem to be doing so. By targeting Labour with a solid ground game using Carswell's experience, UKIP could have survived Brexit. This kind of thing makes them look destined for oblivion.
  • Options
    Washington Examiner

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/two-ways-trump-wins-or-loses/article/2602086?custom_click=rss

"Secondly, Pennsylvania has been the great white whale for Republicans in presidential elections since Bill Clinton was first elected. Polls show it getting close every four years but it hasn't actually delivered its electoral votes to the GOP since 1988.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    619 said:

weejonnie said:

619 said:

all the news networks and major papers are leading with trump being a birther and a liar. interestimg to see how that effects the polls next week

ha ha ha ha

i know youre trolling, but the last 7 years of public statements make him the head of the birther movement.
    Especially as many of those statements come after Obama released his birth certificate which is what the Trump campaign claim was the end of the matter.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    Alistair said:

619 said:

weejonnie said:

619 said:

ha ha ha ha

Especially as many of those statements come after Obama released his birth certificate which is what the Trump campaign claim was the end of the matter.
    he has no answer he can give on the topic which doesnt make him look like the massive racist he is
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,619
    edited September 2016
    Telegraph:

"Moderate Labour MPs must wage a remorseless campaign to undermine Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership “year after year” or the party will die, Alan Johnson has said."
    (quoting an interview in Times)
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

IanB2 said:

This is getting very tedious. The Article 50 argument is pure bunk, because nothing was ever going to happen until two years after Article 50 was invoked, when we either get, or fail to get a deal, and yet we were STILL told there were going to be immediate plagues of locusts and rivers running with blood following a BrExit vote. Then remainers wonder why they have no credibility...
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited September 2016
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Calling a common sense statement of fact - that we'll find out what Brexit means when it happens - 'Project Fear' is just paranoia gone mad
    The common line from REMAIN aka Project Fear was that we should not vote to LEAVE, because that would bring armageddon.
    After we voted to LEAVE and there was no armageddon ...... the line from REMAIN aka Project Fear II, is that we should not activate Article 50 in case that brings armageddon.
    After we activate Article 50 we can expect that the line from REMAIN aka Project Fear III, is that we should not leave the EU in case that brings armageddon.
    After we leave the EU we can expect that the line from REMAIN aka Project Fear IV, is that we should rejoin the EU soon since armageddon could still happen within the lifetime of someone born that year........
  • Options
    Talking about racist American Presidential Candidates.

http://www.politico.com/story/2008/02/obama-slams-smear-photo-008667
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,308

.@Arron_banks tells @BBCEssex "it's unfortunate" @DouglasCarswell is the UKIP MP for clacton #UKIPConf

.@Arron_banks tells @BBCEssex @DouglasCarswell is "a career politician" who is "out of touch" #UKIPConf

.@Arron_banks tells @DaveMonkShow @DouglasCarswell's best attribute is "his wonky jaw" #UKIPConf

.@Arron_banks "I think he joined because he thought #UKIP would beat him at the general election" - on @DouglasCarswell #UKIPConf

There's a reason Carswell won UKIP's only seat, and it's not because he's out of touch with his constituents:

Carswell is a furiously efficient campaigner, and runs the neatest campaign office I’ve ever seen... he has a good local party helping him canvass what is now considered a Ukip safe seat...Carswell seems quite fixated on the experi

...his campaign team do say – as a compliment – that this candidate could win the seat as an independent because of the personal brand he has built up...That personal brand is quite extraordinary. Douglas Carswell is a backbench MP, and was in his previous incarnation as a Tory. Yet as we walk along the main streets of Clacton, he is stopped every 10 metres by people wanting a chat...

Clacton likes Carswell not just because he knocks on its voters’ doors and eschews national media opportunities to do so. He also deploys a number of canny techniques to build his personal brand. A number of the houses we visit have ‘no cold callers’ stickers... on the back of the sticker is a picture of Carswell, along with his
    (from the Spectator)

Call it partisan rivalry, but the Conservatives I campaigned with for Leave expressed concern that UKIP would use the referendum as a chance to learn how to campaign, and relief that they didn't seem to be doing so. By targeting Labour with a solid ground game using Carswell's experience, UKIP could have survived Brexit. This kind of thing makes them look destined for oblivion.
    Actually Carswell's approach ie basically be relaxed on immigration and become a libertarian party, would have made UKIP look destined for oblivion (even if he campaigns effectively in his own seat). Unless May ends free movement completely and immigration falls substantially by 2020 post Brexit UKIP will still be a force on a tough line on immigration platform which James is pursuing, her experience of almost winning the Eastleigh by-election suggests she also has a better idea of how to pursue a ground war than Farage which will also be a help to them along with Banks' millions
  • Options
    New LA Time tracker figures are out and the gap between Trump and Hilary has narrowed slightly from 6.4 to 6.0. Coming from both a Hilary up tick and a Trump down tick.

If the LA Times Tracker is giving the Clinton Collapse only a 6 point lead to Trump then I feel slightly foolish for over reacting. I was expecting a double digit Trump lead from them.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

IanB2 said:

This is getting very tedious. The Article 50 argument is pure bunk, because nothing was ever going to happen until two years after Article 50 was invoked, when we either get, or fail to get a deal, and yet we were STILL told there were going to be immediate plagues of locusts and rivers running with blood following a BrExit vote. Then remainers wonder why they have no credibility...
    I have just seen a mosquito in Hampshire. Is that the start of the plagues Project Fear warned about? It could be a sign? It could be just one dead insect.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,619
    edited September 2016

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

The common line from REMAIN aka Project Fear was that we should not vote to LEAVE, because that would bring armageddon.
    After we voted to LEAVE and there was no armageddon ...... the line from REMAIN aka Project Fear II, is that we should not activate Article 50 in case that brings armageddon.
    After we activate Article 50 we can expect that the line from REMAIN aka Project Fear III, is that we should not leave the EU in case that brings armageddon.
    After we leave the EU we can expect that the line from REMAIN aka Project Fear IV, is that we should rejoin the EU soon since armageddon could still happen within the lifetime of someone born that year........
    Leavers just don't get it do they? How many frigging times? The economic consequences of leaving the EU and the single market cannot possibly have happened yet. A) we haven't left and economic indicators tend to be lagging (employment especially).
  • Options
    Salmond suggests Autumn 2018 for indyref 2, though Sturgeon seems more wary given the latest Scottish polling and of course Brexit may still not even be completed by then
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-37395261
  • Options

Telegraph:

"Moderate Labour MPs must wage a remorseless campaign to undermine Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership “year after year” or the party will die, Alan Johnson has said."

Has he finally found his spine?
  • Options

Telegraph:

Has he finally found his spine?
    It would certainly help matters.
  • Options

Essexit said:

Ishmael_X said:

A note for you:

You won

I enjoy analysing election results.

And its leaver gloating not whinging.

The humiliation of the 'progressive majority' in two general elections and now two referendums (AV was the other) is brutal.
    No, it's whinging. It's fun to imagine what you'd be like if you'd actually lost.

And if you're against progressives, does that make you a regressive?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Except we were told that a Leave vote itself would bring disaster.

Hence the initial claims that falling share prices were the onset of this disaster and when the FTSE100 rose above its pre-referendum value we were told that the FTSE250 was more important and when the FTSE250 rose above its pre-referendum value remoaners lost all interest in stock market values.

Likewise with the PMI indices.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Essexit said:

Ishmael_X said:

A note for you:

You won

That's a disgraceful comment and says a great deal more about you and your perverted worldview than it does about politics.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Leavers just don't get it do they? How many frigging times? The economic consequences of leaving the EU and the single market cannot possibly have happened yet. A) we haven't left and economic indicators tend to be lagging (employment especially).
    So that being the case why were REMAINers telling us all with such gusto that there would be rapid economic armageddon of such severity that we would need an immediate "punishment budget" in the case of a BrExit vote... I know, perhaps they were talking complete bollox.
  • Options

Essexit said:

Ishmael_X said:

A note for you:

You won

I look forward to reports from say, Mansfield or Bolsover, in ten years time outlining how leaving the EU and the single market has transformed their communities.

I know these areas reasonably well having worked in the area for five years (ironically on an EU funded regeneration project). Many issues and problems, a great deal of it related to the sudden collapse of mining.
    Coincidentally, some friends of ours are moving to the Mansfield area in the next week. One reason is that house prices are cheaper up there.

I really don't see how Brexit will make much difference to the poor in those areas. Many of the problems facing them are little to do with the EU, and are much more a result of decades of UK policies, both central government and local.

The leavers who are now suddenly for May's grammar schools policy certainly don't appear to care for them, as that policy will at best do sod-all for them, and most probably disadvantage them further.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I see Surrey are performing as well as Corbyn in the cricket 1 day final at Lords
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/lack-of-brexit-effects-proves-brexit-has-not-yet-happened-20160915113825
  • Options

Essexit said:

Ishmael_X said:

A note for you:

You won

I look forward to reports from say, Mansfield or Bolsover, in ten years time outlining how leaving the EU and the single market has transformed their communities.

I know these areas reasonably well having worked in the area for five years (ironically on an EU funded regeneration project). Many issues and problems, a great deal of it related to the sudden collapse of mining.
    Coincidentally, some friends of ours are moving to the Mansfield area in the next week. One reason is that house prices are cheaper up there.

I really don't see how Brexit will make much difference to the poor in those areas. Many of the problems facing them are little to do with the EU, and are much more a result of decades of UK policies, both central government and local.

The leavers who are now suddenly for May's grammar schools policy certainly don't appear to care for them, as that policy will at best do sod-all for them, and most probably disadvantage them further.
    :+1:
  • Options

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Nah : we should play to our strengths. Sleek, elegant & classic with fantastic technologies under the hood. The "Royal Yacht" can't look like the sort of thing an oligarch would commission
  • Options
    Indigo said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Incidentally in a Guardian Friendly remake of the lion witch and the wardrobe, when the curse was dispelled and the permanent winter....?
    So that being the case why were REMAINers telling us all with such gusto that there would be rapid economic armageddon of such severity that we would need an immediate "punishment budget" in the case of a BrExit vote... I know, perhaps they were talking complete bollox.
    There was also the Governor of the Bank of England predicting interest rate rises. Complete bollox.
  • Options

Essexit said:

Ishmael_X said:

A note for you:

You won

The humiliation of the 'progressive majority' in two general elections and now two referendums (AV was the other) is brutal.
    No, it's whinging. It's fun to imagine what you'd be like if you'd actually lost.

You sound rather like a whinger yourself.

Another group worth gloating towards are the Remainers who pretended to support Leave initially.

Its fun to imagine how smug such people were being during their little charade.

And what does the 'progressive majority' have to do with being progressive.
  • Options

Essexit said:

Ishmael_X said:

A note for you:

You won

I agree this is the biggest known unknown about the result. I don't share your optimum am though. Firstly many many Remoaners have dogged their guts out for these areas. We'll have to see what happens now Labour's coalition of liberals and WWC is dissolving. Secondly as these areas have utterly failed to adapt to a European form of globalisation it's optimistic to suggest they'll thrive in a turbocharged mid Atlantic version. Thirdly by shfting the whole of British politics to the nationalist right they've empowered the very people who've helped shat on them on years.

While we don't know my working hypothesis remains. Remainia will cope much better with Brexit than most Brexit voting area and for the same reasons Remainia benefited most from EU membership.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

That was on the basis of Cameron "immediately" invoking Article 50. And staying on as Prime Minister.

Of course, as we now know he was a fraudster willing to lie to the House of Commons about his intentions.
  • Options
    Reconciliation in UKIP? Diane James just stood on stage and warmly introduced Carswell. Could be a very smart move as he has the keys to the state financing of UKIP.
  • Options

Telegraph:

Uncharacteristic for the mild mannered Alan Johnson, things must be really bad with the PLP.
  • Options

Reconciliation in UKIP? Diane James just stood on stage and warmly introduced Carswell. Could be a very smart move as he has the keys to the state financing of UKIP.

Carswell came out well in the expenses scandal and refused to give Farage lots of taxpayers money.
    Let's face it he's out of place in UKIP.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Indigo said:

That was on the basis of Cameron "immediately" invoking Article 50. And staying on as Prime Minister.

Of course, as we now know he was a fraudster willing to lie to the House of Commons about his intentions.
    Its still bollox. Article 50 doesn't change anything, its just the start of a 2 year clock running down on negotiations. The day after A50 is invoked we will still have the same trade relationships with the same people on the same terms and be subject to the same rules and regulations. The resulting deal might change everything but that was always a minimum of two years down the road.
  • Options

Essexit said:

Ishmael_X said:

A note for you:

You won

Another group worth gloating towards are the Remainers who pretended to support Leave initially.

Not whinging: bemused. Hence smileys, ;)

"Another group worth gloating towards are the Remainers who pretended to support Leave initially."

I don't think many, if any, people 'pretended'. Although it might have seemed so to someone who is unthinkingly regressive.
  • Options

I didn't think it possible for a party with only one MP to be as divided as Labour, well done UKIP.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Simply a matter of fact. It is a step into the unknown. It may work out economically, or it may not. We just do not know yet.

Only after the exit terms are defined will we know, and even then it will be a few years and without real knowledge of what would have happened with the other choice.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

IanB2 said:

A Fox seems to like cats:

https://www.facebook.com/carloscompeta/photos/a.804686659624966.1073741828.622452291181738/1097400550353574/?type=3&theater

Seriously on the Article 50 point and when the Brexit effect will be felt, it has always somewhat surprised me that people think that there will only be one impact and that it should be at a particular point in time in relation to a particular act. There should be expected to be several waves of impact - at least the following
    :
    1. the decision to leave itself and the implications that has. This has given us both costs (sterling) and benefits (sterling)
    2. the uncertainty about the actual nature of Brexit until it is negotiated (this seems to have been fully factored in by this point, and has seen very little change since pre-Brexit, post-referendum announcement, and seems to have mainly affected investment, possibly only temporarily)
    3. reaction to the announced terms of Brexit, which would be expected to vary depending on how hard or soft the terms are, and the UK public's reaction to it (i.e. if it enrages Leavers, then it adds political uncertainty to the UK and presumably another hit to the UK economy)
    4. the actual immediate impact of implementing the terms of Brexit (presumably mostly negative)
    5. the overall impact on the British economy once it has adapted to the new reality (including taking advantage of any new opportunities and suffering loss of access to existing ones)
  • Options

Joe Biden should be at v. v. long odds.

Someone seldom mentioned in this connection is Henry Paulson: not many ago, US Secretary of the Treasury. Paulson is an intelligent man, educated at the top US universities, albeit whose time in office was controversial. He has written forcefully and organised conferences about many defining topics of our age (US-China relations, global warming and conservation, restructuring the financial system). Out of office, he still intervenes in political life.

At this late stage of his vice-presidency, the most realistic route to top executive office requires that Joe Biden must obtain a hair-trigger pistol and blast Henry Paulson in the chest, shooting to kill. It would be wise to shoot Paulson only after claiming outrage at his latest public pronouncements, and arranging an illegal duel to settle the score - preferably in a state like New Jersey where enforcement of anti-dueling laws is lax.

Once the threat of prosecution has receded, after his term as VP has come to an end, Biden should exploit the deep civil unrest that's spread across the USA (particularly in the South) or alternatively the heightened tensions along the US-Mexican border. Biden must seek out the British ambassador, or perhaps the Russians or Chinese given the current global balance of power, and request funds and support for a military insurrection in Louisiana, or a raiding party to carve out a fresh narcostate in Mexico. Either way, founding a statelet under his control gives Biden a sure-fire route to the presidency - albeit not of the US itself.

The main flaw is that, should Biden's plans be intercepted before he can execute them, he may be put on trial for treason, or at least the high misdemeanor of planning an attack on a friendly country. However, he'll surely be found not-guilty. It would be tricky to prove any irregular forces were intended to be directed against a foreign state and cross the border rather than, say, protect property on the US frontier, so the high misdemeanor won't stick. His lawyers can argue that discussing splitting the USA or engaging in conspiracy to do so is insufficient to constitute "treason" unless Biden has undertaken an "overt act" of war - if stopped in his tracks so early, this won't be the case.

Biden must recruit key figures like the Governor of Louisiana prior to the uprising, which increases the risk of being betrayed in the venture. Yet such co-conspirators will clearly be prone to falsify their evidence to play down their own roles and shift blame to Biden - as such, their deeply unreliable evidence will laughed out of court.

Worst case, should Joe fail to become President of Bideniana, he can quietly return to practising Law in his home state under a false name.

Lol. Only on PB. Thank you Mr Burr.
    That one was for you DH, thought you'd enjoy!
  • Options
    This latest joke from Hillary seems poorly judged. She is trying to woo Republicans who cannot abide Trump, including some of the big donors. Why insult them, even in a joke?

"The good news is, my pneumonia finally got some Republicans interested in women's health."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/hillary-clinton-republicans-womens-health-pneumonia-228273#ixzz4KW7kEBIT
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Simply a matter of fact. It is a step into the unknown. It may work out economically, or it may not. We just do not know yet.

Only after the exit terms are defined will we know, and even then it will be a few years and without real knowledge of what would have happened with the other choice.
    That's all very fair.

And its why some of the Remain side (Osborne especially) destroyed their credibility with their precise predictions.
  • Options
    "The analysis in this HM Treasury document quantifies the impact of that adjustment
    over the immediate period of two years following a vote to leave. Such a vote would
    trigger a redefinition not only of the UK’s economic relationship with the EU and the rest
    of the world, but also of much of the UK’s domestic economic policy, regulatory and
    legislative framework. A vote to leave would cause an immediate and profound
    economic shock creating instability and uncertainty which would be compounded
    by the complex and interdependent negotiations that would follow.
    The central conclusion of the analysis is that the effect of this profound shock would
    be to push the UK into recession and lead to a sharp rise in unemployment."
  • Options

Essexit said:

Ishmael_X said:

A note for you:

You won

"Another group worth gloating towards are the Remainers who pretended to support Leave initially."

I don't think many, if any, people 'pretended'. Although it might have seemed so to someone who is unthinkingly regressive.
    You have got me all wrong JJ.

I'm not 'unthinkingly regressive'.

I'm unthinkingly cynical.

:wink:
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @YellowSubmarine

I agree. Most of Remania will do well out of Brexit, because Brexit is not an answer to the ills of globalisation.

Who wants to bet that Hampstead will be doing well in a decade and the Welsh valleys and Boston will still be in a bad way?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,171
    edited September 2016

What happens to the strongly Leave areas now is yet to be known.

But they've been shat upon by the remoaners for years and if Remain had won would have continued to be shat upon.

Still the added 'vibrancy' uncontrolled immigration has brought to Bolsover created an exciting job opportunity for a Polish speaker:

' This new opportunity now exists within the Housing Department at Bolsover District Council. The successful candidate will ensure the Council and other partners develop an understanding of the community tensions in the area, including the understanding of the cause and scale of any problems together with working within the community to develop solutions to any real or perceived issues. '

http://www.lsp.bolsover.gov.uk/index.php/news/379-news-community-cohesion-worker-job-opportunity

I agree this is the biggest known unknown about the result. I don't share your optimum am though. Firstly many many Remoaners have dogged their guts out for these areas. We'll have to see what happens now Labour's coalition of liberals and WWC is dissolving. Secondly as these areas have utterly failed to adapt to a European form of globalisation it's optimistic to suggest they'll thrive in a turbocharged mid Atlantic version. Thirdly by shfting the whole of British politics to the nationalist right they've empowered the very people who've helped shat on them on years.
    While we don't know my working hypothesis remains. Remainia will cope much better with Brexit than most Brexit voting area and for the same reasons Remainia benefited most from EU membership.
    I think YS's comment is properly formatted now.

Whether YellowLand copes better than BlueLand from Brexit was not the issue.

Its whether BlueLand copes better from Brexit than it would have under EverCloserUnion.

What will happen we don't know yet but it was certain that they had a bleak future under ECU.

• Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

IanB2 said:

That's all very fair.

And its why some of the Remain side (Osborne especially) destroyed their credibility with their precise predictions.
    But hey, at least the nonsense £4,300 figure gives Leavers a ready-made comeback to comments about the £350m. The ludicrous assumptions and dodgy maths from Osborne's Treasury report make that figure utterly fraudulent.
  • Options

"The analysis in this HM Treasury document quantifies the impact of that adjustment
    over the immediate period of two years following a vote to leave. Such a vote would
    trigger a redefinition not only of the UK’s economic relationship with the EU and the rest
    of the world, but also of much of the UK’s domestic economic policy, regulatory and
    legislative framework. A vote to leave would cause an immediate and profound
    economic shock creating instability and uncertainty which would be compounded
    by the complex and interdependent negotiations that would follow.
    The central conclusion of the analysis is that the effect of this profound shock would
    be to push the UK into recession and lead to a sharp rise in unemployment."

Project Fear mark II says that the word "immediate and profound economic shock " actually means two, or 3 or 4 or more years later..... or after Article 50 or at the end of the two year period of Article 50 or whatever the f*ck they choose to make it mean.
  • Options

Essexit said:

Ishmael_X said:

A note for you:

You won

I can see your general point ie the UK out of the EU, spending slashed and grammar schools restored however reversing Jenkins, for example, would mean homosexuality and abortion criminalised again too and don't forget either that Mandelson was part of the first time Blair government which cut spending to its second lowest level in the last half-century (only Thatcher left it lower before she left office)
  • Options
    NU FRED
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    MTimT said:

This latest joke from Hillary seems poorly judged. She is trying to woo Republicans who cannot abide Trump, including some of the big donors. Why insult them, even in a joke?

"The good news is, my pneumonia finally got some Republicans interested in women's health."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/hillary-clinton-republicans-womens-health-pneumonia-228273#ixzz4KW7kEBIT

Saw this last night and just instantly thought *snidey*

I honestly think she can't get outside her own bubble any more. The Deplorables wasn't some off the cuff thing gaffe - it when on and on and clearly scripted. And her media cronies trying to fat shame Trump?!

It just comes across as unpleasant core vote smuggery.
  • Options
    Well that's awkward - he's been a prominent Dems campaigner

http://fox13now.com/2016/09/12/prominent-latino-activist-tony-yapias-charged-with-rape/

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2016
    New thread.
  • Options

Essexit said:

Ishmael_X said:

A note for you:

You won

I don't believe I've got you wrong at all.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,601

IanB2 said:

Cromwell?
    It is an interesting question whether Cromwell falls into the category. But, certainly, he added to government with first military regional government and then laid the foundations of British local government with sheriffs responsible for administering each locality. And there were certainly a whole batch of new laws and restrictions on the activities of the general populace.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited September 2016

justin124 said:

Essexit said:

Ishmael_X said:

A note for you:

You won

That's a disgraceful comment and says a great deal more about you and your perverted worldview than it does about politics.
    Not in the context of the comments at which it was directed. There was a significant strand in the Tory Party sympathetic to Rothermere's view that Britain should have reached an understanding with Hitler.It continued to be seen for decades after World War 2 in the blatant racism of many members of the Monday Club - Jonathan Guinness et al.
    I have just as much contempt ,by the way, for many of Corbyn's 'Stormtroopers' and supporters of the Militant Tendency etc.
  • Options

Essexit said:

Ishmael_X said:

A note for you:

You won

You accused me once of being a Labour party supporter.

Which shows that you've repeatedly got me very wrong.
  • Options

Did I? Linky please.
  • Options

Did I? Linky please.
    Rather too long ago, at least three years.

Though you did send me a nice vanilla message afterwards - perhaps you still have it though it has dropped off my vanilla inbox.
This discussion has been closed.