Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ex-LD leader, Paddy Ashdown launches move to have one non-C

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    John_M said:

John_M said:

Sean_F said:

It's been observed Blair didn't win elections by appealing to the guy with the " Image from Rochester " England Flag on his house. Blair won by appealing to the guys Tory neighbour who thought he was a chat.

The next Labour PM will win not by appealing to folk who wanted Grammars back. She'll win by appealing to Tories with expensive houses in nice areas who's dull kids ended up in a Secondary Modern because they couldn't afford caching on top of the Mortgage and Student debt. Discuss ?

That's a pretty small niche of the electorate, even assuming Labour could find a leader to appeal to them.

One of Labour's many problems is that in the Kent/Essex marginals that Blair used to win, unhappy voters support UKIP, not Labour.
    Owen Jones posted a video of him doing a vox pop in Nuneaton earlier today. It's only 8 minutes long, and worth pages and pages of argument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAUfIEPRikA
    That is well worth watching.

Owen Jones knows the Corbyn reality, but can't quite bring himself to say it yet.

Did you miss his great polemic about JC being completely unelectable? He's definitely fallen off the bandwagon.
    The penny's finally dropped, but it's far too late. Jones is now in the process of discovering that the real true believers are either so delusional that they think Corbynite Labour can win a General Election, or that they think it probably can't but they don't care anyway. Personally, I reckon that, by and large, people aren't thick, so most of them fall into the latter category. They've given up on power and prefer to embrace purity of belief.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited September 2016
    NeverTrump Bill Kristol is wobbling on the Never part:

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/776160998579380224

The closer Trump comes to victory, the more they will wobble.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Pathetic. Ireland will never leave. Or rather, France or Italy would leave before Ireland. The EU will go its own way. I wish them well, and hope they prosper.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

John_M said:

John_M said:

Sean_F said:

It's been observed Blair didn't win elections by appealing to the guy with the " Image from Rochester " England Flag on his house. Blair won by appealing to the guys Tory neighbour who thought he was a chat.

The next Labour PM will win not by appealing to folk who wanted Grammars back. She'll win by appealing to Tories with expensive houses in nice areas who's dull kids ended up in a Secondary Modern because they couldn't afford caching on top of the Mortgage and Student debt. Discuss ?

That's a pretty small niche of the electorate, even assuming Labour could find a leader to appeal to them.

One of Labour's many problems is that in the Kent/Essex marginals that Blair used to win, unhappy voters support UKIP, not Labour.
    Owen Jones posted a video of him doing a vox pop in Nuneaton earlier today. It's only 8 minutes long, and worth pages and pages of argument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAUfIEPRikA
    That is well worth watching.

Owen Jones knows the Corbyn reality, but can't quite bring himself to say it yet.

Did you miss his great polemic about JC being completely unelectable? He's definitely fallen off the bandwagon.

He eas spot on. But he's rowed back from it in recent weeks in public. He'll jump ship soon enough though, as will many others.

Either that or the Corbyn-sceptics have concluded that he is immovable, and that criticism only brings abuse that they could do without. Let's face it, if he wins as expected then they only have two choices: if they don't want to engineer a split, then all they can do is hunker down miserably and hope that an opportunity comes along to steer Labour back towards electability - before it reaches the point at which it is beyond saving.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Speedy said:

Something for Trump to latch on in the rust belt states of Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/776115820296544257

This sort of news is mana from heaven for Trump.

Clinton is going to have to have some policy for this, otherwise Trump is going to be all over this.
    Clinton is part of the Govt. that has allowed this to happen on its watch. Trump, not so much.

Toxic for Hillary. Is she going to disown the Obama Presidency for allowing it to happen? Of course not. There is nothing she can say that will help.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Trump's line about Flint and Mexico was very clever.

Trump is a preternaturally good campaigner. Not everything he tries works, but he has good ideas at a faster rate than any of his opposition has been able to match.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Something for Trump to latch on in the rust belt states of Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania:

Clinton is going to have to have some policy for this, otherwise Trump is going to be all over this.
    Clinton is part of the Govt. that has allowed this to happen on its watch. Trump, not so much.

Toxic for Hillary. Is she going to disown the Obama Presidency for allowing it to happen? Of course not. There is nothing she can say that will help.
    If Hillary is defeated it will signal the end of a 25 year period where Western democratic politics was dominated by the Clintons' brand of centrist triangulation and technocratic internationalism. It will be a bigger watershed moment than Brexit.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

AndyJS said:

And surprising for Trump...100% True....well 90%....
    Except a Republican Governor was in charge during the flint water crisis, its seen by many as a civil rights issue.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Oh dear, Paddy still playing at Machiavelli – how did the 1997 coalition work out for you..?

He's looking at creative ways to save LibDem deposits... Money must be drying up.
  • Options
    nunu said:

AndyJS said:

Except a Republican Governor was in charge during the flint water crisis, its seen by many as a civil rights issue.

But Trump will get a better deal, and build a wall, and ....
  • Options

Speedy said:

If Hillary is defeated it will signal the end of a 25 year period where Western democratic politics was dominated by the Clintons' brand of centrist triangulation and technocratic internationalism. It will be a bigger watershed moment than Brexit.
    Perhaps longer than that. It's beginning to remind me of 1979. Thatcher, Iran, Afghanistan.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    While I have reservations about AGW, Malcolm Robert's argument about "how" climate change doesn't work is simply ridiculous.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Pathetic. Ireland will never leave. Or rather, France or Italy would leave before Ireland. The EU will go its own way. I wish them well, and hope they prosper.
    The Irish and the Dutch love their Euros*.

* There's a very good reason why small (fiscally responsible) governments like the Euro. In the old days, they'd need to borrow in Sterling, Deutschemarks or US Dollars, because international demand for Irish Pound denominated debt was non-existent. They are, in other words, used to issuing debt in a currency they could not control.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2016
    nunu said:

AndyJS said:

It doesn't matter what party they were, the point is Trump is making this about him versus the political class as a whole.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    "Aus Revoir" beats Ozexit I think

Seriously some of the new brexit spinoffs really need better names, wasted opportunities.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

nunu said:

AndyJS said:

It doesn't matter what party they were, the point is Trump is making this about him versus the political class as a whole.
    It does matter which party it was because the GOP continually shoot themselves in the foot in terns of race relations and Trump hasn't exactly helped in this regard.
  • Options

"Aus Revoir" beats Ozexit I think

Seriously some of the new brexit spinoffs really need better names, wasted opportunities.

AdiOz?
    Do Swedania?
  • Options

nunu said:

AndyJS said:

But Trump will get a better deal, and build a wall, and ....
    Believe me, believe me.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

While I have reservations about AGW, Malcolm Robert's argument about "how" climate change doesn't work is simply ridiculous.
    Sorry to harp on about it, but the idea that they is any appreciable doubt that AGW is a real and significant effect is purely a product of industry misinformation and media fabrication.
  • Options
    On AdiOz/OzExit/Aus Revoir it'll be interesting to see if Labor do block the Gay Marriage Plebiscite. You don't have to read too far between the lines of some of the statements to guess which recent international example appears to have put them off the format.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Sorry to harp on about it, but the idea that they is any appreciable doubt that AGW is a real and significant effect is purely a product of industry misinformation and media fabrication.

No it isn't. It is the product of rational scientific doubt. It is only the lunatic fringe like you who claim that science can ever be 'settled' on something as complex as this.

You revealed the depths of your ignorance the other night when you claimed that it was 'simple physics'. Even the advocates of AGW don't claim it is simple physics and understand that the drivers of climate change are hugely complex feedback mechanisms which we have so far failed to even begin to properly model and understand - hence the recourse to the precautionary principle.

Idiots like Roberts help no one in this debate but your statements of certainty are just as ridiculous in their own way.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

No it isn't. It is the product of rational scientific doubt. It is only the lunatic fringe like you who claim that science can ever be 'settled' on something as complex as this.

You revealed the depths of your ignorance the other night when you claimed that it was 'simple physics'. Even the advocates of AGW don't claim it is simple physics and understand that the drivers of climate change are hugely complex feedback mechanisms which we have so far failed to even begin to properly model and understand - hence the recourse to the precautionary principle.

Idiots like Roberts help no one in this debate but your statements of certainty are just as ridiculous in their own way.
    Richard, my position on AGW is precisely the same as that of scientific institutions such as the Royal Society, the US National Academy of Sciences and every other national scientific body. It is people like you who constitute the lunatic fringe. Stop spreading misinformation.

https://royalsociety.org/~/media/policy/Publications/2015/21-07-15-climate-communique.PDF

http://nationalacademies.org/onpi/06072005.pdf
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited September 2016
    Wow, to this Handelsblatt reaction to Juncker's State of the EUnion speech - particularly the last 5 words:

"In his state of the E.U. speech, he admitted the E.U. is in an existential crisis, but blamed national interests and “galloping populism.” His plea for a more social union sounded like: “Can’t we all just get along?” The unspoken answer: Probably not for much longer."
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Alex Wickham
    Question Time have booked Aaron Bastani for next week.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited September 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Alex Wickham
    Question Time have booked Aaron Bastani for next week.

Oh god......Really...Aaron Bastani, also known as Aaron Peters, was the guy behind the UK UnCut protests and now part of Corbynista Central.
  • Options
    Oliver D'Arcy
    U.S. confirms two more freed Guantanamo inmates rejoined militant groups https://t.co/tdPki5Ingy
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Oliver D'Arcy
    U.S. confirms two more freed Guantanamo inmates rejoined militant groups https://t.co/tdPki5Ingy

To be honest, if I'd been locked in Guantanemo without trial for years (in frankly appalling conditions), I think the first thing I'd do on release is join a group fighting the US.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Oliver D'Arcy

To be honest, if I'd been locked in Guantanemo without trial for years (in frankly appalling conditions), I think the first thing I'd do on release is join a group fighting the US.
    Not open a bookshop?
  • Options
    SkyNews
    Corbyn: "We need 90 seats to win"
    Smith: "No, we need 106"
    Corbyn: "Depends on the new boundaries"
    #BattleForLabour https://t.co/pekovSGCw5

Video
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

SkyNews
    Corbyn: "We need 90 seats to win"
    Smith: "No, we need 106"
    Corbyn: "Depends on the new boundaries"
    #BattleForLabour https://t.co/pekovSGCw5

Video

Tough crowd for Smith. Jahadi Jez doesn't like it up him. No way he will manage a GE without a big blow up that makes the "ASK ME ANOTHER QUESTION" over traingate look minor.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Good morning everyone.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Good morning everyone.

Good evening from San Francisco :)
  • Options
    I'm just rereading the Harry Potter series from the start again, and I must admit it's a cracking read. My daughter is totally obsessed, and it's easy to see why.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Good morning everyone.

Good morning (almost) from North Carolina
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I'm just rereading the Harry Potter series from the start again, and I must admit it's a cracking read. My daughter is totally obsessed, and it's easy to see why.

Badly written and same-y though. i gave up after 2.5 books...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Good morning everyone.

Good morning (almost) from North Carolina
    Good evening from Arizona!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited September 2016
    weejonnie said:

Speedy said:

Trump already on the news of Ford moving it's car production to Mexico:

https://twitter.com/scottdetrow/status/776148592386007040

Trump went to the closed water treatment plant for a photo op and praised the management of the plant.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Always sad when a past political leader cannot just accept his time has past ansd stop meddling.
This discussion has been closed.