Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Last night’s by election round up

SystemSystem Posts: 11,712
edited September 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Last night’s by election round up

Liberal Democrat GAIN Mosborough (Sheffield) from Labour.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    First?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    third like Labour.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211
    edited September 2016
    Damn discussion ID! Secondary Modern. Borstal.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    edited September 2016
    Is Sheffield a city?

Ed. yes it is! and it has the highest ratio of trees to people of any city in Europe.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,973
    First after appealing the classification of those in front!
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    First, for certain values of first, like victorious comrade Corbyn.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Is Sheffield a city?

Since 1893
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Where else can a sensible person vote these days?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Steady progress by the yellows. Only another half-a-century to go until the next Coalition/self-immolation opportunity. That'll be nice for them.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2016
    'the finest city in the known universe, Sheffield' - Apart from the reek of Henderson’s Relish...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    People who think politicians can't change the people's mind are wrong

https://twitter.com/williamjordann/status/774230137097379840
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    I saw that a particular Poole school had poor results, and mentioned it to a local - he said not surprised as the children are travellers. Another factor in Bournemouth is that the catchment area for the grammer schools is at least as far as Salisbury - there is no preference for local children.
  • Options
    First!

There's a Scottish education for you...
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    I wonder what excuse the SNP will come up with to justify voting against new grammar schools in England, when the time arrives...

1. Revenge upon the Tories for Brexit
    2. Revenge for some other legislative sleight allegedly committed against Scotland
    3. That the changes to schooling in England will, through some unspecified and dubious mechanism, impact negatively upon Barnett funding of Scotland
    4. To "protest against elitism" (without the inconvenience and drowning risk of swimming into the middle of the Boat Race)
    5. Because the voices told us to do it
    6. All of the above
  • Options
    FPT

Welcome back.

Do you think that the results in Poole are acceptable?

To be honest I have not seen those results at all so am really not in a position to comment. I just remembered the Sutton Trust report because it was a proper extensive and in depth study by an organisation not usually predisposed to be favourable to academic selection and it ran counter to all the normal claims about Grammars.

Thanks for the welcome back. My absence was mostly due to the referendum. I spent so much time in the months leading up to June campaigning and organising that I had let my business seriously slide and have been playing catch up to improve the bank balance and mollify a few clients. Thankfully I seem to be back to normal now so have more time to discuss politics again.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    I've never seen a Russian Downfall

Know we've a couple of speakers on here - do they come in all languages? :smiley:

В нынешней Германии....«Хозяева прячутся от гостей в подвале» https://t.co/zXL4odO1qe
  • Options
    Michael Beckel
    FEC: Presidential candidates have raised more than $900 million so far this election cycle https://t.co/LD7To6qlNH
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Ishmael_X said:

Is Sheffield a city?

Since 1893
    I think we can now trace back the date from which the term "city" became debased.....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Welcome back Mr. Tyndall
  • Options

I wonder what excuse the SNP will come up with to justify voting against new grammar schools in England, when the time arrives...

1. Revenge upon the Tories for Brexit
    2. Revenge for some other legislative sleight allegedly committed against Scotland
    3. That the changes to schooling in England will, through some unspecified and dubious mechanism, impact negatively upon Barnett funding of Scotland
    4. To "protest against elitism" (without the inconvenience and drowning risk of swimming into the middle of the Boat Race)
    5. Because the voices told us to do it
    6. All of the above

Ha, very good. Rest assured they'll find a reason why they should vote against something that doesn't affect Scotland in the slightest.
  • Options
    Eurocrats reckon UK will come begging for Brexit deal.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/09/uk-completely-lost-post-brexit-and-will-plead-for-a-deal-top-bru/

And they wonder why we wanted to leave.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    I detect a subtle hint of editorial bias in this header. I doubt anyone else noticed it.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    Alistair said:

Hmm, perhaps Trump should consider using those powers for good rather than evil. The right-wing man crush on Putin is perverse, Putin is not America's friend.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Alistair said:

Amusing stat. Most dare not try of course. Reminds me of a quote I heard once about true democratic leadership being about convincing the public to follow rather than just follow the public.

Most of the political leaders are simply following nationalist and populist rhetoric, and that is for me not a democracy. A democracy, in my opinion, is a political leader developing a vision and then trying to convince the public opinion to follow his vision, and not what is happening now

Has to be said though the person saying it doesn't always seem to follow that 'convince the pubilc opinion' bit, as it was Guy Verhofstadt.

More likely, however, than the great persuasive powers of Trump, is really just how deep tribalism goes.
  • Options
    glw said:

Alistair said:

Hmm, perhaps Trump should consider using those powers for good rather than evil. The right-wing man crush on Putin is perverse, Putin is not America's friend.
    And the USA isn't Putin's. Obama and Hillary have no idea how to deal either. Trump's outwitted 16 others to get this far. We could be surprised.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    PlatoSaid said:

glw said:

Alistair said:

And the USA isn't Putin's. Obama and Hillary have no idea how to deal either. Trump's outwitted 16 others to get this far. We could be surprised.
    Surprised? I'd be flabbergasted.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited September 2016

FPT

Welcome back.

Do you think that the results in Poole are acceptable?

To be honest I have not seen those results at all so am really not in a position to comment. I just remembered the Sutton Trust report because it was a proper extensive and in depth study by an organisation not usually predisposed to be favourable to academic selection and it ran counter to all the normal claims about Grammars.

Thanks for the welcome back. My absence was mostly due to the referendum. I spent so much time in the months leading up to June campaigning and organising that I had let my business seriously slide and have been playing catch up to improve the bank balance and mollify a few clients. Thankfully I seem to be back to normal now so have more time to discuss politics again.
    This quote is interesting:

"In total, 250,955 youngsters are being taught in under-performing state secondaries - around 7.3 per cent of the secondary school population, the data reveals. This is down from last year, when the figure was 274,351.

Analysis also shows that five areas have at least 10 under-performing schools. These are Kent (20 schools), Birmingham (11), Lancashire (11), Lincolnshire (10) and Northamptonshire (10). There were 41 areas with no failing schools."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3410011/How-does-school-GCSEs-New-results-tables-reveal-best-10-England-getting-C-grades.html#ixzz4JnAXq9XZ

It is notable that these under-performing schools are particularly in areas where selection applies, and the remainder of schools are these de-facto Secondary Moderns.

Note that the East Midlands have few excuses, Northants, Leicester and Nottingham have lots of failing schools too, but no state Grammar schools.

There is no magic solution to Britain's longstanding failure of much of the WWC, but I am not at all convinced that May has the answer either.

Indeed the poor retention rates of teachers in the profession (like my own profession) particularly when compared internationally, suggests that the problems are very deep rooted. High turnover of staff is a sign of serious organisational malaise.

Mind you, things are not much better elsewhere. I was talking earlier with one of my Romanian colleagues, who applied for a medical job in Paris, and was offered the job without interview. She contacted the hospital worried that not speaking any French would be a problem, but they told her that they were desperate, and that she should take up the job.
  • Options

There is no magic solution to Britain's longstanding failure of much of the WWC

KIPPs....
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    kle4 said:

More likely, however, than the great persuasive powers of Trump, is really just how deep tribalism goes.

Exactly. It's the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Putin and Obama don't like one another. We don't like Obama, therefore we like Putin. Errr no, you can dislike both.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

My Name is Ed Balls, Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'

https://twitter.com/Holbornlolz/status/774317430957105152

What a plank.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010

dr_spyn said:

What a plank.
    A reassuringly normal kitchen !
  • Options
    Alistair said:

It could just be an indicator of how successful RT has been in cornering part of the right-wing English language media market.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

dr_spyn said:

What a plank.
    Nah, that'll be the kitchenette...
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    GIN1138 said:
    It's always useful when the opposition underestimates you.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Juncker's Commission to launch a charm offensive. What could possibly go wrong?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/09/juncker-commission-to-launch-charm-offensive-to-stave-off-populi/
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited September 2016
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

dr_spyn said:

What a plank.
    And which house...The Telegraph let the Cooper Balls off extremely lightly during the expenses scandal. Remember they couldn't work out their mortgage payments properly.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    I think that the Eurocrats are probably right. Our squabbling 3 Brexiteers can agree on little, and May overrules them anyway. The G20 was a bit of a reality check for the PM.

It is going to be a pigs ear, and we are likely to be over a barrel taking an unsatisfactory deal, unless we plan for a hard Brexit.
  • Options

Alistair said:

It could just be an indicator of how successful RT has been in cornering part of the right-wing English language media market.
    I may be mistaken - but I swore I saw a pix on Twitter of Larry King hosting a RT show earlier today. LARRY KING!!!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

More evidence of idiocy within the Commission. How is preparing properly for a complex negotiation being lost?
  • Options
    John_M said:

GIN1138 said:
    It's always useful when the opposition underestimates you.
    It may well that they are over-estimating the competence of our top table.
    Cripes! as some might say.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

dr_spyn said:

What a plank.
    And which house...The Telegraph let the Cooper Balls off extremely lightly during the expenses scandal. Remember they couldn't work out their mortgage payments properly.
    And Balls wanted to be CotE.
  • Options

It is going to be a pigs ear, and we are likely to be over a barrel taking an unsatisfactory deal, unless we plan for a hard Brexit.

It would be a dereliction of duty for a Prime Minister to put the country in that position regardless of the result of a plebiscite. If there's no prospect of a good outcome along the lines that the pro-Brexit camp were anticipating, she needs to find a way to kick Article 50 into the long grass indefinitely.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Alistair said:

Amusing stat. Most dare not try of course. Reminds me of a quote I heard once about true democratic leadership being about convincing the public to follow rather than just follow the public.

Most of the political leaders are simply following nationalist and populist rhetoric, and that is for me not a democracy. A democracy, in my opinion, is a political leader developing a vision and then trying to convince the public opinion to follow his vision, and not what is happening now

Has to be said though the person saying it doesn't always seem to follow that 'convince the pubilc opinion' bit, as it was Guy Verhofstadt.

Or something a little less direct than that. Perhaps more like "I am a conservative on social, economic and foreign policy issues. The Party that is associated with that is the GOP. Trump is the GOP candidate. I don't have the time to research Putin, Russia and relations with the US nor Trump's position on it, so by proxy, I'll accept what his position is."

PS That is not my position, which is that a Trump presidency is potentially extremely dangerous for the US because of his potential to misread and exacerbate serious international crises. But I think that most people do not take policy positions on most issues, but adopt the policy position of the party that is most closely aligned with their overall political outlook.
  • Options
    Epic!

Jeremy Corbyn (Poldark) by Peter Brookes - political cartoon gallery https://t.co/wCi9uXOdlq
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

It would be a dereliction of duty for a Prime Minister to put the country in that position regardless of the result of a plebiscite. If there's no prospect of a good outcome along the lines that the pro-Brexit camp were anticipating, she needs to find a way to kick Article 50 into the long grass indefinitely.
    Brexit is, by definition, a "good outcome".
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:
    Neither of those videos show a Larry King RT show. Why are you posting them?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    Spot on sadly. In Boris, Fox and Davis I've never seen a trio of politicians less equipped to deal with so momentous and difficult a project. We all know what's going to happen - it'll collapse amid acrimony and disappointment and at least two of them will end up resigning. The EU and the rest of the world know this; they're just biding their time until we're at our weakest.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    Isabel thinks the whole Grammar schools thing could be a ruse for an early election;

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/09/theresa-may-comes-tory-fire-grammar-schools/
  • Options

It is not going to happen.

Theresa May will take us out of Europe despite remainer's, who are incapable of accepting democracy, and are led by those fine statesmen, Tim Farron and Owen Smith, the former being irrelevant and the latter about to be consigned to oblivion by none other than Jeremy Corbyn (who backs leaving the single market)
  • Options

Is this what the Bargaining phase looks like?
  • Options
    Would you then advocate martial law and gas chambers , to avoid democracy.

You must be a Lib dem.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:
    on little, and May overrules them anyway. The G20 was a bit of a reality check for the PM.

Well to me it looks like that's exactly what the government IS planning for?

• Options
    NoEasyDay said:

You must be a Lib dem.

Didnt appear where it was meant......
  • Options

Theresa May will take us out of Europe despite remainer's, who are incapable of accepting democracy, and are led by those fine statesmen, Tim Farron and Owen Smith, the former being irrelevant and the latter about to be consigned to oblivion by none other than Jeremy Corbyn (who backs leaving the single market)
    Remainers are led by Theresa May. Brexit means Brexit, i.e. an unplanned mistake that will be left to a trio of incompetents to its pursue to its logical conclusion of failure and acrimony.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited September 2016
    @GIN1138

'What do we make of this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/09/uk-completely-lost-post-brexit-and-will-plead-for-a-deal-top-bru/'

What ever these self important idiots think it will be Germany that calls the shots.

Give them a year post Article 50 and then do hard Brexit and not waste anymore time.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Isabel thinks the whole Grammar schools thing could be a ruse for an early election;

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/09/theresa-may-comes-tory-fire-grammar-schools/

The time line is interesting as it will be 2018 at the earliest before it comes to the Lords and if they vote down the legislation it would be the perfect excuse to go to the Country and seek a new mandate, including Grammar Schools which according to a Sky poll are backed by 60% of the public
  • Options
    NoEasyDay said:

You must be a Lib dem.

Simon Hughes conversion to the use of water cannons during the London riots was most amusing.
  • Options

Remainers are led by Theresa May. Brexit means Brexit, i.e. an unplanned mistake that will be left to a trio of incompetents to its pursue to its logical conclusion of failure and acrimony.
    Theresa May is the Prime Minister and she will take us out of Europe. Get used to it
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:
    on little, and May overrules them anyway. The G20 was a bit of a reality check for the PM.

I am not sure that the government has any plans yet.

Didn't they all meet at Chequers the other week for a bit of brainstorming, blue sky thinking and flipcharts?

I hope that they had enough beermats and fag packets to do the sums on.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Didn't they all meet at Chequers the other week for a bit of brainstorming, blue sky thinking and flipcharts?

All done on tablets these days, doc.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@GIN1138

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/09/uk-completely-lost-post-brexit-and-will-plead-for-a-deal-top-bru/'

What ever these self important idiots think it will be Germany that calls the shots.

Give them a year post Article 50 and then do hard Brexit and not waste anymore time.

More specifically the leaders of the German car industry will put those idiotic eurocrats in their box. Indeed I expect Juncker's will not survive 2017
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited September 2016
    GIN1138 said:
    To borrow a phrase "what kind of people do they think we are?". I said on here a couple of weeks before the vote I voted in the knowledge I wouldn't be bought or cowed. Still stands. It wasn't about the money. Clearly it would be nice to be civilised on both sides and create the least disruptive outcome we both can. However, we voted out. As far as I'm concerned anything "out" is better than "in" especially with this attitude from the Eurocrats.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

You have a touching faith in our politicians being vaguely competent that I am less certain of!
  • Options

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

You have a touching faith in our politicians being vaguely competent that I am less certain of!
    I have faith an official will be in the room operating one. Besides, no one smokes or drinks anymore, beermats and fag packets are in short supply.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

The time line is interesting as it will be 2018 at the earliest before it comes to the Lords and if they vote down the legislation it would be the perfect excuse to go to the Country and seek a new mandate, including Grammar Schools which according to a Sky poll are backed by 60% of the public
    Betfair have a 2018 election or a 2019 election both at 5.5 (9/2 in old money). I think there's value in those prices.
  • Options

john_zims said:

@GIN1138

More specifically the leaders of the German car industry will put those idiotic eurocrats in their box. Indeed I expect Juncker's will not survive 2017
    The same way our powerful City financiers controlled our own side?

I wouldn't count on it!
  • Options
    welshowl said:

GIN1138 said:
    To borrow a phrase "what kind of people do they think we are?". I said on here a couple of weeks before the vote I voted in the knowledge I wouldn't be bought or cowed. Still stands. It wasn't about the money. Clearly it would be nice to be civilised on both sides and create the least disruptive outcome we both can. However, we voted out. As far as I'm concerned anything "out" is better than "in" especially with this attitude from the Eurocrats.
    Stubborn bastards :smiley: :
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Alistair said:

RT gives voice to anti-establishment voices in the West. Easy to do when you are funded by a dictator who ignores his own establishment of kleptocrats.

• Options
    I do think we've got to get on with A50 in Q1 next year though... I think it we attempt to delay beyond the start of 2017 we really will become a laughing stock.
  • Options

john_zims said:

@GIN1138

The same way our powerful City financiers controlled our own side?

I wouldn't count on it!
    I would prefer a sensible divorce but if not we just leave and watch as the whole EU project collapses
  • Options

john_zims said:

@GIN1138

Drunker is the proverbial cooked bread, only surviving because of his own ego (and a lack of process to force him out).

The serious talks will be with the major trading nations, that is where the deal will be worked out - UK is the largest export market for German cars. More than US or Japan.
  • Options
    perdix said:

Alistair said:

RT gives voice to anti-establishment voices in the West. Easy to do when you are funded by a dictator who ignores his own establishment of kleptocrats.

Another poster linked to a fascinating report on Russian polling and how important it was to Putin in terms of staying on the right side of public opinion, well worth hunting on Google for it.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I do think we've got to get on with A50 in Q1 next year though... I think it we attempt to delay beyond the start of 2017 we really will become a laughing stock.

I cannot see it being delayed beyond that, but quite frankly most nations (or at least their governments) will laugh at us for taking the decision regardless (until such times as we make a success of it), so I think we can put up with it if there are good reasons to delay further.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Agreed - serve no later than June 2017 after the French elections
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    GIN1138 said:

Agreed. Aim to formally leave at the same time as the EU elections in May 2019, this helps them out in terms of their own structures and processes.

Alternatively, make it a hard exit and get it all done next year, leave on 1/1/2018 and get the trade deals done afterwards.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Sandpit said:

john_zims said:

@GIN1138

Drunker is the proverbial cooked bread, only surviving because of his own ego (and a lack of process to force him out).

The EU and Juncker remind me quite a lot of FIFA and Sepp Blatter...
  • Options
    [Excitedly] Had my first ride on Sheffield's Supertram in 4 years today. I did the Halfway and Herdings Park branches in the south of the city. View from Herdings Park was wonderful, even managed to make out the red brick University of Sheffield, where I had an interview 4 years ago (giving me an excuse to do Sheffield Station/Hallam to the Uni on Supertram back then).
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

john_zims said:

@GIN1138

My favourite ballot paper of all time

https://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/SPORT/Pix/pictures/2011/6/1/1306941116767/Fifa-ballot-form-007.jpg
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

john_zims said:

@GIN1138

Juncker represents so much that's wrong. A bloke from a country about the size of Kent, to whom I have zero loyalty, and virtually sod all ability to fire, with influence of a serious nature over my life. Well hopefully not for much longer.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@GIN1138

We just had a test of the "German industry gets what it wants" theory. Spoiler: German industry didn't get what it wants.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/europe/ec-withdraws-proposals-for-fair-use-limits-roaming-surcharge-abolition
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @Big_G_NorthWales

'More specifically the leaders of the German car industry will put those idiotic eurocrats in their box. Indeed I expect Juncker's will not survive 2017'

A drive down any of our 'ram packed' motorways gives a great visual of what's at stake for the German car industry.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

john_zims said:

@GIN1138

That was one of Dan Hannan's best lines from one of the Brexit debates.
    "Saying 'I am supporting the EU because I like Europe', would be rather like saying 'I am supporting FIFA because I like football'"
    1'10" here https://youtu.be/U9SYJLb2naQ
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@Big_G_NorthWales

'More specifically the leaders of the German car industry will put those idiotic eurocrats in their box. Indeed I expect Juncker's will not survive 2017'

A drive down any of our 'ram packed' motorways gives a great visual of what's at stake for the German car industry.

Well quite, just speaking for myself - my last few cars have been in reverse order

Mercedes
    BMW
    Volkswagen
    BMW
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Eurocrats reckon UK will come begging for Brexit deal.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/09/uk-completely-lost-post-brexit-and-will-plead-for-a-deal-top-bru/

And they wonder why we wanted to leave.

Just like we were going to plead for a peace treaty after the fall of France.

They have learned nothing.

Tossers.
  • Options
    Arthur S
    9 September 1994: "Private Eye" No. 854: https://t.co/764u3Os0U9
  • Options
    @edmundintokyo

'We just had a test of the "German industry gets what it wants" theory. Spoiler: German industry didn't get what it wants.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/europe/ec-withdraws-proposals-for-fair-use-limits-roaming-surcharge-abolition

Did that amount to €18 billion worth of business ?

German carmakers raise fears over Brexit - FT.com
    www.ft.com › GlobalEconomy › EU Economy
    2 Jul 2015 - German car exports to the UK last year were worth nearly €18bn, and carmakers such as Volkswagen, which owns Bentley, and BMW, owner of ...

• Options
    glw said:

Alistair said:

He is more our friend than Juncker and co.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,189
    Blunkett says Momentum cost Labour the by election in Sheffield, older members were on doorsteps while they were tweeting for Jeremy!
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

Agreed. Aim to formally leave at the same time as the EU elections in May 2019, this helps them out in terms of their own structures and processes.

Alternatively, make it a hard exit and get it all done next year, leave on 1/1/2018 and get the trade deals done afterwards.
    A hard Brexit is all but inevitable. The A50 negotiations are not concerned with the any FTA for the post-Brexit world. A FTA cannot even be considered unit we have left and would take much longer than two years to conclude in any event. I expect that we will go to WTO terms and look to negotiate a FTA agreement over time.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:
    I think that the Eurocrats are probably right. Our squabbling 3 Brexiteers can agree on little, and May overrules them anyway. The G20 was a bit of a reality check for the PM.

You hope
  • Options

Dream on
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,811
    GIN1138 said:
    Schadenfreude doesn't become hired hands. In any case we haven't Brexited yet, so they have jumped the gun. A supercilious "they'll get what they voted for" works better.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

dr_spyn said:

What a plank.
    I can't help wondering why is there a drawn under the cupboard and what would you keep in it?

The one next to it is also missing or maybe that's the access point to get behind the fridge?
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@Big_G_NorthWales

There are 5 BMW's and 3 Mercedes in our cul de sac of 8 homes (I admit to one of the BMW's)
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

john_zims said:

@GIN1138

My favourite ballot paper of all time

https://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/SPORT/Pix/pictures/2011/6/1/1306941116767/Fifa-ballot-form-007.jpg
    I agree with you although the 1938 Anschluss ballot paper is quite superb too in its own way.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/Stimmzettel-Anschluss.jpg
  • Options
    Mirror
    Owen Smith: 'I fought off hundreds of lads to get my wife so I know how to win' https://t.co/bXg0WHHs48 https://t.co/RfEUIXp8WV

Please make it stop
This discussion has been closed.