Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A tribute to Sir Antony Jay

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207

On the equally important point of Plato's house-move, I would suggest that you move somewhere genteelly impoverished but with improving prospects. I'm not suggesting you move to a sink estate, but unless the sight of the odd empty shop or member of the proletariat brings on a fainting fit, it makes sense for you with a retirement income to go somewhere with less job prospects. You'll get more from your money and be wealthier than your neighbours (an essential pre-requisite for happiness apparently).

This brings to mind Wales (don't know enough about it to tell you where though), parts of Scotland, and much of the North of England. Or the quieter seaside towns - somewhere like the IOW?

When I went to the Open at Troon I stayed at a place called Sanquhar. That was a nice enough place but some of the towns on the way to Troon were very depressed. New Cumnock in particular looked as though it had been left without much purpose since the end of coal mining.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

BigRich said:

Can one of the nice people on PB let me know, how do I change the little pitcher that comes up next to your name when you post a comment?

Mr Rich – click on your name next to the avatar, that should bring up your profile. In the top right you’ll find ‘edit profile’ look for 'change my picture' on the left of your scree and that should allow you to use any picture in your pix files.
    Mr StClare, - Many thanks,

For anybody interested, Gary Johnson the Libertarian Party Candidate for POTUS, has now reached 10.2% in the average of the 5 poles that will be used to determine if he will get in the Presidential Debates, this is still within reach!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited August 2016
    BigRich said:

BigRich said:

Can one of the nice people on PB let me know, how do I change the little pitcher that comes up next to your name when you post a comment?

Mr Rich – click on your name next to the avatar, that should bring up your profile. In the top right you’ll find ‘edit profile’ look for 'change my picture' on the left of your scree and that should allow you to use any picture in your pix files.

For anybody interested, Gary Johnson the Libertarian Party Candidate for POTUS, has now reached 10.2% in the average of the 5 poles that will be used to determine if he will get in the Presidential Debates, this is still within reach!
    Has he? Is he?

"There is, however, some bad news for Johnson in his steady numbers: They’re not going up either. He’s showing no signs of reaching 15 percent in national polls, the threshold necessary to get into the debates."

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/gary-johnson-isnt-fading/
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    BigRich said:

BigRich said:

When does the decision get taken? Will there be at least one more of each poll before that point in time?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @MaxPB

'I don't see why the EU would want to give us full single market access for financial services and as Robert and I have pointed out on numerous occasions the UK loses disproportionately more from not having free trade in goods for the automobile market as UK assembly is deeply integrated into the EU supply chain.'

They have an £11 billion budget black hole to fill ?

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568

On the equally important point of Plato's house-move, I would suggest that you move somewhere genteelly impoverished but with improving prospects. I'm not suggesting you move to a sink estate, but unless the sight of the odd empty shop or member of the proletariat brings on a fainting fit, it makes sense for you with a retirement income to go somewhere with less job prospects. You'll get more from your money and be wealthier than your neighbours (an essential pre-requisite for happiness apparently).

This brings to mind Wales (don't know enough about it to tell you where though), parts of Scotland, and much of the North of England. Or the quieter seaside towns - somewhere like the IOW?

I believe the IOW is described as a ghetto of inbreeding with a mass of crime, drug problems, huge unemployment ;-)

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-37164549
    Hopefully a good time to buy then!

I have v fond memories of childhood holidays to the IOW. It has some really charming parts.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Mayors of 28 French towns are maintaining burkini bans in defiance of a court ruling, heralding a series of bitter legal battles as the controversy becomes a key issue in the presidential campaign.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/28/french-towns-who-banned-burkini-to-defy-court-ruling-against-the/

Lawyers rubbing their hands...

More outrageous than the wetsuit ban...no smoking or drinking (according to the picture with the article)...in France....on a beach....what is the world coming to.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    This isn't blowing a raspberry to PB Remain voters. It makes a succinct point about economic forecasts and the attention economy.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/forecasts-of-brexit-gloom-may-be-overdone-1472406752?mod=e2tw
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168

MaxPB said:

I don't see why the EU would want to give us full single market access for financial services and as Robert and I have pointed out on numerous occasions the UK loses disproportionately more from not having free trade in goods for the automobile market as UK assembly is deeply integrated into the EU supply chain. It's more likely that our assembly will move to the EU (Eastern Europe in particular, look at JLR) than the supply chain moving here. At least in the long term.

This could be about packaging up a deal in a face-saving way which would allow both sides to claim victory (we wouldn't be 'in' the Single Market, therefore the principle that you have to concede freedom of movement to be in it wouldn't be violated).

I tend to agree with you that it's very ambitious. I think we'll probably get hassle- and tariff-free access to the Single Market in manufactured goods - so the car industry should be OK - but that financial services are not going to get the access they currently have.

What is more likely is the City gets free movement and single market access, other industries do not get free movement and single market access and in return the Germans get no tariffs on their car exports to the UK
  • Options

Mr. Dodge, when you say the polls are skewed, are you referring to pollsters or the 150% turnout?

That banner is clearly not the work of Mr. G. Not a single mention of a turnip.

Vote Early Vote Often it seems...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568
    tlg86 said:

When I went to the Open at Troon I stayed at a place called Sanquhar. That was a nice enough place but some of the towns on the way to Troon were very depressed. New Cumnock in particular looked as though it had been left without much purpose since the end of coal mining.

Dundee is very much on the up, and it has it's own 'Hove' in Broughty Ferry, which is charming. But that will spread a bit to the rest of Angus as the surrounding towns become commuter towns. And the Angus glens are beautiful. Aberdeen on the other hand is struggling. Fife will be next to improve I think. And The Borders.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054

More outrageous than the wetsuit ban...no smoking or drinking (according to the picture with the article)...in France....on a beach....what is the world coming to.

We're all super healthy now. Our bodies are temples after all, probably one reason they are targets for extremists.
  • Options

Mayors of 28 French towns are maintaining burkini bans in defiance of a court ruling, heralding a series of bitter legal battles as the controversy becomes a key issue in the presidential campaign.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/28/french-towns-who-banned-burkini-to-defy-court-ruling-against-the/

This sort of thing used to annoy me. Now I just heave a sigh of relief and think 'thank God we are leaving'

I'm all for prohibiting face covering in public (with a few exceptions like motorcycle crash helmets and inclement weather) but other than that it is none of anyones business what clothes people wear (or don't wear - we are still far to prudish about the naked body).
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    edited August 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

@viewcode
    You've had some time on your hands this afternoon. Your assessment of the 200k UK housing market is very endearing.

To be fair, it was a bit ridiculous for anyone to think you couldn't buy a house/flat for less than 200k anywhere in the UK!
    My brother in County Durham has a dozen social housing properties and they're worth less than 200k all in. Hopefully, PB has experienced a bit of How The Other Half Lives.

There's a lot of City types/lawyers and other professionals that perhaps don't quite get it.
    My house is 3 bedroom, mid terrace, garden, bought it for just over £70k. Probably worth £75k now.
    I'd love to meet some of the people who post on here. (Well, I did already meet some, but you know what I mean)

Great Ayton, just into North Yorkshire, is a lovely village. I'd move there if I could afford £200k
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,798
    stodge said:

MTimT said:

Yes. This is nearly always the problem - politicians take a result and start claiming mandates that the vote can't really support - or at least don't unambiguously support.

Indeed and it's a problem for all parties and their leaders. From my perspective, I don't have a problem with Tim Farron saying he would like the UK to rejoin the European Union, it's a perfectly reasonable and credible position.

However, what Tim and people like him need to explain is that, assuming they are in Government in 2020, is how and on what terms they will re-negotiate the UK's return to the EU. What series of terms and condition (if you like) can they get from Brussels that would be a) different enough from those negotiated by Cameron and rejected on June 23rd while b) recognising the very real concerns about immigration and a range of other issues that led to the LEAVE vote in the first place ?

A second referendum in 2023 ?

It depends on a chunk of people changing their minds once they understand the implications of leaving. Unlikely to happen for various reasons in my view but it explains two apparently contradictory positions: a) People like Tim Farron can actively campaign for rejoining the EU later; b) there is no case for campaigning to remain in the EU while the majority opposes it.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,095
    You can buy a 3 bedroom house for less than 200k on the riverside, within 30 minutes walk from Newcaste city centre, in Gateshead. I'm currently renting one.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Freggles said:

PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

@viewcode
    You've had some time on your hands this afternoon. Your assessment of the 200k UK housing market is very endearing.

To be fair, it was a bit ridiculous for anyone to think you couldn't buy a house/flat for less than 200k anywhere in the UK!
    My brother in County Durham has a dozen social housing properties and they're worth less than 200k all in. Hopefully, PB has experienced a bit of How The Other Half Lives.

There's a lot of City types/lawyers and other professionals that perhaps don't quite get it.
    My house is 3 bedroom, mid terrace, garden, bought it for just over £70k. Probably worth £75k now.
    I'd love to meet some of the people who post on here. (Well, I did already meet some, but you know what I mean)

Great Art in, just into North Yorkshire, is a lovely village. I'd move there if I could afford £200k
    Whereabouts are you Mr Freggles? Thanks to @Platosaid I've squandered hours on Rightmove this afternoon, checking out the most unlikely places :).
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

I don't see why the EU would want to give us full single market access for financial services and as Robert and I have pointed out on numerous occasions the UK loses disproportionately more from not having free trade in goods for the automobile market as UK assembly is deeply integrated into the EU supply chain. It's more likely that our assembly will move to the EU (Eastern Europe in particular, look at JLR) than the supply chain moving here. At least in the long term.

This could be about packaging up a deal in a face-saving way which would allow both sides to claim victory (we wouldn't be 'in' the Single Market, therefore the principle that you have to concede freedom of movement to be in it wouldn't be violated).

I tend to agree with you that it's very ambitious. I think we'll probably get hassle- and tariff-free access to the Single Market in manufactured goods - so the car industry should be OK - but that financial services are not going to get the access they currently have.

What is more likely is the City gets free movement and single market access, other industries do not get free movement and single market access and in return the Germans get no tariffs on their car exports to the UK
    Free movement which requires sponsorship is not free movement.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

This sort of thing used to annoy me. Now I just heave a sigh of relief and think 'thank God we are leaving'

I'm all for prohibiting face covering in public (with a few exceptions like motorcycle crash helmets and inclement weather) but other than that it is none of anyones business what clothes people wear (or don't wear - we are still far to prudish about the naked body).
    To prudish about the naked body...

......except our daughters, they should cover up.....
  • Options
    stodge said:

MTimT said:

Yes. This is nearly always the problem - politicians take a result and start claiming mandates that the vote can't really support - or at least don't unambiguously support.

Indeed and it's a problem for all parties and their leaders. From my perspective, I don't have a problem with Tim Farron saying he would like the UK to rejoin the European Union, it's a perfectly reasonable and credible position.

However, what Tim and people like him need to explain is that, assuming they are in Government in 2020, is how and on what terms they will re-negotiate the UK's return to the EU. What series of terms and condition (if you like) can they get from Brussels that would be a) different enough from those negotiated by Cameron and rejected on June 23rd while b) recognising the very real concerns about immigration and a range of other issues that led to the LEAVE vote in the first place ?

The whole idea he could succeed would be based on a massive change of opinion among the public, so if he got into office no need for a referendum to address previous concerns, as the whole premise required that people would no longer care, for some reason.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    tlg86 said:

Isle of White is one of the top ten places British people move to. Inbreeding ghetto......
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Dundee is very much on the up, and it has it's own 'Hove' in Broughty Ferry, which is charming. But that will spread a bit to the rest of Angus as the surrounding towns become commuter towns. And the Angus glens are beautiful. Aberdeen on the other hand is struggling. Fife will be next to improve I think. And The Borders.

Hove was traditionally a much posher town in its own right. They were most upset when they were merged with the riffraff in Brighton.

Ditto Devonport. Alas poor Devonport was trashed in WW2 then the admiralty requisitioned the entire town centre and put a wall round it that would do credit to Berlin.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,798

Moses_ said:

Press starting to catch up.

TTIP has failed – but no one is admitting it, says German Vice-Chancellor
    Germany’s Vice-Chancellor said in 14 rounds of talks neither side had agreed on a single common chapter out of the 27 being deliberated.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ttip-trade-deal-agreement-failed-brexit-latest-news-eu-us-germany-vice-chancellor-a7213876.html

14 rounds of talks and not one single agreement on any of the 27 principles. At this moment it's just a vehicle for negotiators to enjoy jollies.

Perhaps Cameron did better in his deal making than we thought....he got something agreed, however shitty and minor it was.
    If so, it illustrates how deeply flawed the EU setup is.
    Well, good luck with the UK getting a deep and meaningful free trade relationship with the US. ie not one of their usual "open your borders as we tell you and we will freely sell you what we want" jobs.
  • Options
    nunu said:

I wasnt talking about Children
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Free movement which requires sponsorship is not free movement.
    It would be free movement enough for the City's needs though which is the main thing
  • Options
    John_M said:

Freggles said:

PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

@viewcode

Great Art in, just into North Yorkshire, is a lovely village. I'd move there if I could afford £200k
    Whereabouts are you Mr Freggles? Thanks to @Platosaid I've squandered hours on Rightmove this afternoon, checking out the most unlikely places :).
    I'll send you a Vanilla message to avoid making my identification too easy over Google...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402

tlg86 said:

Dundee has taken a lot of hits recently with a significant wave of manufacturing and North Sea related job losses. The town is being hollowed out a bit with some niche sectors doing very well but not employing many people and an ever increasing loss of lower skilled jobs. On the up is a very optimistic description.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    £200k buys you a two bed 1880's terrace in Roath (mix of student/residential)- though they seem to be going quickly. Shops bars park all on doorstep and Cardiff city centre about 20-25mins walk.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

John_M said:

Freggles said:

PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

@viewcode

I'll send you a Vanilla message to avoid making my identification too easy over Google...
    Please don't feel you have to, 'twas but idle curiosity.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895
    FF43 said:

It depends on a chunk of people changing their minds once they understand the implications of leaving. Unlikely to happen for various reasons in my view but it explains two apparently contradictory positions: a) People like Tim Farron can actively campaign for rejoining the EU later; b) there is no case for campaigning to remain in the EU while the majority opposes it.

I'm not sure I quite understand your point. Assuming we have fully left the EU by 2020, it's perfectly coherent to argue "the next Government will negotiate with the EU to seek terms to join the EU and will then put those terms to the British people by a referendum". Realistically, that'll be 2023 if not later.

Now, the counter argument is "we should give Brexit a chance" and that's reasonable but by then we will know the terms of the divorce and it may be some of whose who voted LEAVE and a lot of those who voted REMAIN won't be happy - we'll see. With Curly, Mo and Larry running the show, I have my doubts.

What is more interesting is to point out that despite having campaigned against both a London Mayor and a Scottish Assembly, the Conservatives have never publicly stated they would campaign to abolish the London Mayoralty or the Scottish Assembly.

To take that a step further, IF Scotland had voted to leave the UK in 2014, would a future Conservative Manifesto contain a pledge to hold a referendum to return Scotland to the Union ? I suspect not.

There's an argument then that far from fighting yesterday's battles, it's tomorrow's conflicts that matter and that means the REMAIN camp not going on about rejoining the EU but instead supporting the most advantageous terms for the UK while maintaining a close and friendly relationship with the EU.

A more sensible policy position for Tim Farron and those like him would therefore be to seek to continue the post-EU negotiating process after 2020 with a view to "softening" Brexit (perhaps partial acceptance of elements of the Single Market as an example). In other words, moving us closer to the EU without formally rejoining.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Freggles said:

John_M said:

Freggles said:

PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

@viewcode

Please don't feel you have to, 'twas but idle curiosity.
    What else is PB for? Message sent.
  • Options
    I set out my thoughts on our negotiations with the EU earlier. I shan't bore you all again. I do think our final deal will be complicated, dull and full of transitional arrangements (e.g. fisheries access). May will lead the negotiations, the two chumps will handle the tedious bits, and we'll all mostly lose interest in the process.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    kle4 said:

stodge said:

MTimT said:

The whole idea he could succeed would be based on a massive change of opinion among the public, so if he got into office no need for a referendum to address previous concerns, as the whole premise required that people would no longer care, for some reason.
    Let's not get too hung up on wanting to get back in they are just signalling that they are pro-Europeans. It's an ok verging on smart move.
  • Options
    @kle4

'The whole idea he could succeed would be based on a massive change of opinion among the public, so if he got into office no need for a referendum to address previous concerns, as the whole premise required that people would no longer care, for some reason.'

Not sure how he could ever claim that during a GE campaign the electorate voted for his party based on a single policy only. And when he had re-negotiated our entry would be propose another referendum ?
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@kle4

'The whole idea he could succeed would be based on a massive change of opinion among the public, so if he got into office no need for a referendum to address previous concerns, as the whole premise required that people would no longer care, for some reason.'

Not sure how he could ever claim that during a GE campaign the electorate voted for his party based on a single policy only. And when he had re-negotiated our entry would be propose another referendum ?

Let's not get hung up on what the Lib Dems may or may not do. They're a spent force for the forseeable future. The last GE prediction I saw had them on 5 seats.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    edited August 2016

BigRich said:

BigRich said:

Has he? Is he?

"There is, however, some bad news for Johnson in his steady numbers: They’re not going up either. He’s showing no signs of reaching 15 percent in national polls, the threshold necessary to get into the debates."

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/gary-johnson-isnt-fading/
    Well a 5% swing to Trump (or Clinton) in the time period and we would be talking about a landslide. Trump would get Oregon and nearly New Jersey, Clinton would get Montana

Ain't going to happen - barring a black-swan event.

(There seem to be very few polls so far today)
  • Options
    Brexit may send EU 'down the drain' - German vice chancellor

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37210138
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895
    John_M said:

Let's not get hung up on what the Lib Dems may or may not do. They're a spent force for the forseeable future. The last GE prediction I saw had them on 5 seats.

Well, we'll see. There's a huge amount of water to flow under countless bridges between now and 2020.

I should just re-iterate that I was looking at the possible pro-EU position in general and not Tim Farron's in particular. Tim, like Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn, faces divisions among activists, members and voters on this.

The core question for 2020 will be whether voters will like enough of the post-EU prospects for Britain to reward Mrs May with another five years (if she wants them) or whether the ineptitude or intransigence of the process will provide either so little change (freedom of movement) or too much change as to annoy/worry key groups of voters away from the Conservatives.
  • Options
    Four stabbings at Nottinghill Carnival.
  • Options

Par for the course.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Par for the course.
    Unfortunately so.
  • Options
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,008
    Yay! I've clocked of for the night and "X-Men: First Class" is on telly, so will be uncommunicative pro-tem

@Sean_F: Thank you about Luton
    @tyson: Anything but, unfortunately. It was displacement activity
    @weejonnie: thank you about County Durham
    @Wasd: thank you about York
    @MTimT: thank you about the US
    @John_M: thank you about the Waitrose
    @Luckyguy1983: thank you about the Isle of Wight, Dundee, Broughty Ferry, Angus, Fife and The Borders. Sad to hear about Aberdeen: the granite makes for pretty houses.
    @DavidL: thank you for the counterargument about Dundee
    @Freggles: thank you about Great Ayton
    @Gallowgate: Gateshead? Pause. So you couldn't afford Newcastle then?... :) [ducks]
    @welshowl: How's the bus station redevelopment going near Cardiff station?

Apologies for anybody I've missed.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    tlg86 said:

Par for the course.
    Normally Sunday is the quiet day.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Yet more reason to prepare the UK for the hardest of hard Brexits.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Yes. Hope for the best, plan for the worst. No point in negotiating if you can't handle a 'no-deal'.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Yay! I've clocked of for the night and "X-Men: First Class" is on telly, so will be uncommunicative pro-tem

@Sean_F: Thank you about Luton
    @tyson: Anything but, unfortunately. It was displacement activity
    @weejonnie: thank you about County Durham
    @Wasd: thank you about York
    @MTimT: thank you about the US
    @John_M: thank you about the Waitrose
    @Luckyguy1983: thank you about the Isle of Wight, Dundee, Broughty Ferry, Angus, Fife and The Borders. Sad to hear about Aberdeen: the granite makes for pretty houses.
    @DavidL: thank you for the counterargument about Dundee
    @Freggles: thank you about Great Ayton
    @Gallowgate: Gateshead? Pause. So you couldn't afford Newcastle then?... :) [ducks]
    @welshowl: How's the bus station redevelopment going near Cardiff station?

Apologies for anybody I've missed.

Bus station/BBC HQ thing about to start I believe
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@kle4

Not sure how he could ever claim that during a GE campaign the electorate voted for his party based on a single policy only.

Parties claim support for their entire platform if they are elected, and while that's unlikely, there's no definitive proof otherwise so it'd be fair game.
  • Options
  • Options
    Porridge rebooted....deary me....
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Not exactly, it was meant to be his grandson, though I expect most are watching the first episode of Victoria on ITV. I doubt the other reboots, Are You Being Served, Keeping Up Appearances, 'Till Death do Us Part etc will be that great either without the original cast (see do the latest Dad's Army film).
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    HYUFD said:

Not exactly, it was meant to be his grandson, though I expect most are watching the first episode of Victoria on ITV
    I know...its as bad as Open All Hours rebooted.
  • Options
    @kle4

'Parties claim support for their entire platform if they are elected, and while that's unlikely, there's no definitive proof otherwise so it'd be fair game.'

Good luck with that claim versus 15 million votes on a single issue.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Sky - Notting Hill Carnival: Man In Critical Condition After One Of Four Stabbings’

A man was arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm. Minutes later, police were called to another stabbing on Portobello Road, taking one person to hospital. And less than an hour after that, two men were stabbed on Ladbroke Grove. They were also taken to hospital.
    Police said they had arrested 71 people, including two for sex offences, 50 for drugs, 13 for possession of offensive weapons and others for theft and public disorder.

Sky, Guardian, Express, LBC all reporting the story – BBC, very slow off the mark.
  • Options

Sky - Notting Hill Carnival: Man In Critical Condition After One Of Four Stabbings’

A man was arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm. Minutes later, police were called to another stabbing on Portobello Road, taking one person to hospital. And less than an hour after that, two men were stabbed on Ladbroke Grove. They were also taken to hospital.
    Police said they had arrested 71 people, including two for sex offences, 50 for drugs, 13 for possession of offensive weapons and others for theft and public disorder.

Sky, Guardian, Express, LBC all reporting the story – BBC, very slow off the mark.

71 arrested...plod been busy.
  • Options
    Though I don't think even Corbyn would blow up his opponents, including his own uncle, to entrench his power, McDonnell, hmm
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I believe the IOW is described as a ghetto of inbreeding with a mass of crime, drug problems, huge unemployment ;-)

My Dad nearly bought a castle there a couple of years ago (with some friends). Needed a bit of TLC but for £1m + about £0.5m refurb you could get 1x 5 bed home, 2x 3 bed, 4x 3 bed flats, 90 acres and a beach.
  • Options
    Who ate all the pies?

Sharon Hodgson MP ✔ @SharonHodgsonMP
    Following failed #ChildhoodObesityStrategy, I've written for @HuffPostUK on need for a plan on child holiday hunger: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/sharon-hodgson/child-hunger-school-holidays_b_11659986.html?utm_hp_ref=uk
  • Options
    nunu said:

It is Allah's will that we are born without clothes?
  • Options
    Charles said:

My Dad nearly bought a castle there a couple of years ago (with some friends). Needed a bit of TLC but for £1m + about £0.5m refurb you could get 1x 5 bed home, 2x 3 bed, 4x 3 bed flats, 90 acres and a beach.
    I have to say I don't really have any idea what IoW is really like, as I have only ever been for Cowes Week and I am told the demographics are some what different to the natives.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Not exactly, it was meant to be his grandson, though I expect most are watching the first episode of Victoria on ITV
    I know...its as bad as Open All Hours rebooted.
    Remakes are almost always terrible
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Well who'would have thought.....?

"Angela Merkel 'underestimated' effect of her open doors policy as record numbers of migrants entered Germany admits her deputy"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3762538/Angela-Merkel-underestimated-effect-open-doors-policy-record-numbers-migrants-entered-Germany-admits-deputy.html#ixzz4IfHMq0xy
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Kevin Bishop is ok playing the role, with the right script / scenario I think he could do a modern Fletch, its just the whole set up is terribly painful....made by committee / right on / modern / hipster.
  • Options

Charles said:

I have to say I don't really have any idea what IoW is really like, as I have only ever been for Cowes Week and I am told the demographics are some what different to the natives.
    Years ago Jenny and I walked around the island. Took about six days iirc. Some beautiful areas, but also very run down and felt poor, apart from Yarmouth and Cowes.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    MTimT said:

If the EU collapses, so do any rules they may have tried to impose on the UK.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    John_M said:

Charles said:

Years ago Jenny and I walked around the island. Took about six days iirc. Some beautiful areas, but also very run down and felt poor, apart from Yarmouth and Cowes.
    Not unlike a lot of Devon and Cornwall...although obviously the London money has changed some places. I remember 15 years old Padstow looking very sorry for itself, before it became Stein-ville Upon Thames, with £10 take-away Fish n Chips.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Kevin Bishop is ok playing the role, with the right script / scenario I think he could do a modern Fletch, its just the whole set up is terribly painful....made by committee / right on / modern / hipster.

He is a reasonable actor but the BBC are only doing these remakes as a one-off tribute to the originals, so they will be swiftly forgotten and probably just as well!
  • Options

MTimT said:

I don't think it will collapse and would be unhappy if it did. It's in our interests to have a thriving neighbour. I could see it split per Stiglitz's suggestion of a northern and southern euro. I could also see a formalisation of a two-speed Europe with perhaps Germany & Benelux essentially merging.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    HYUFD said:

He is a reasonable actor but the BBC are only doing these remakes as a one-off tribute to the originals, so they will be swiftly forgotten and probably just as well!
    Hopefully, although they said that about Open All Hours and then managed to make a number of them (I presume they were all as terrible as the original rebooted special).

I just checked, they are making a 3rd season of the reboot...
  • Options

Charles said:

Curate's egg - parts are lovely, parts are not. Bit like having Portsmouth and Southampton next to each other really.

Main disadvantage is the time to the mainland - but if you don't need to do often then it might be worth pocketing the discount.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    John_M said:

MTimT said:

John_M: I don't think it will collapse and would be unhappy if it did. It's in our interests to have a thriving neighbour.

German vice-chancellor: Brexit may send EU 'down the drain'
    Ergo, it's in Britain's interests to remain in the EU.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Of the two shown tonight, Porridge was by far the more successful. Having the original writers helped enormously.

I could see they commissioning a full series of it. But please leave the awful attempt at Are You Being Served? well alone. It was crass, poorly written and the impersonation of the original cast well below par.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Of the two shown tonight, Porridge was by far the more successful. Having the original writers helped enormously.

I could see they commissioning a full series of it. But please leave the awful attempt at Are You Being Served? well alone. It was crass, poorly written and the impersonation of the original cast well below par.
    Sounds like I made the right choice to skip Are You Being Served then.
  • Options

John_M said:

MTimT said:

John_M: I don't think it will collapse and would be unhappy if it did. It's in our interests to have a thriving neighbour.

Why????
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Labour's remake of Michael Foots 1983 classic is rubbish.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I thought they were working on a remake of A Very British Coup - but Corbyn is no Harry Perkins..
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

At the rate they are going they will be lucky to get a remake of Foot's result!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited August 2016
    Well, you have to admire the sheer chutzpah of Labour's hypocrisy:

The opposition party is also angry that the boundary changes are based on the number of people on the electoral register at the end of 2015, arguing that 2m extra people signed up in the run-up to the EU referendum this year. “Worryingly, under the Tories’ plan, not a single one of those 2 million extra people will be taken into account in the drawing up of the new constituency boundaries. This is simply wrong and runs the risk of further distorting the Boundary Review Process,” he added.

So, we should stick to the current constituencies, based on the 2000 electoral roll?

.. as well as admiring the sheer bonkersness of this argument:

Labour, however, also believes that Brexit provides further justification to row back on the policy given that all 73 of the UK’s MEPs are expected to go by the end of this parliament. “In light of this, a reduction in the number of elected members of parliament is simply wrong,” Winterton’s spokesman said.

Err????

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/aug/28/boundary-review-changes-affect-200-labour-party-seats-robert-hayward-report
  • Options
    edited August 2016

John_M said:

MTimT said:

Not sure I follow your logic Mr Glenn. I believe we have mutual interests in trade, security, intelligence, research and so on. I also believe we can cooperate quite satisfactorily without being part of the political structures of the union.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Hopefully, although they said that about Open All Hours and then managed to make a number of them (I presume they were all as terrible as the original rebooted special).

I just checked, they are making a 3rd season of the reboot...
    Though they kept David Jason for that, one of the original cast
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan = TORY!!!! :lol:
  • Options
    edited August 2016

HYUFD said:

Given it was up against Victoria and Dragons' Den I doubt its ratings will be anything to write home about, it probably got barely half of what Poldark will get in the same slot next Sunday (Poldark being a rare remake which is arguably better than the original)
  • Options

The opposition party is also angry that the boundary changes are based on the number of people on the electoral register at the end of 2015, arguing that 2m extra people signed up in the run-up to the EU referendum this year. “Worryingly, under the Tories’ plan, not a single one of those 2 million extra people will be taken into account in the drawing up of the new constituency boundaries. This is simply wrong and runs the risk of further distorting the Boundary Review Process,” he added.

So, we should stick to the current constituencies, based on the 2000 electoral roll?

Labour, however, also believes that Brexit provides further justification to row back on the policy given that all 73 of the UK’s MEPs are expected to go by the end of this parliament. “In light of this, a reduction in the number of elected members of parliament is simply wrong,” Winterton’s spokesman said.

Err????

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/aug/28/boundary-review-changes-affect-200-labour-party-seats-robert-hayward-report

I'm being charitable. Labour are in shock. Nothing they say makes any sense. Smith is embroiled in #29inchPenisGate, Corbyn's off making jam with Diane and all the MPs can do is bleat about things being 'unfair' every five minutes.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    John_M said:

I'm being charitable. Labour are in shock. Nothing they say makes any sense. Smith is embroiled in #29inchPenisGate, Corbyn's off making jam with Diane and all the MPs can do is bleat about things being 'unfair' every five minutes.

I've been busy this weekend, so I missed #29inchPenisGate (and intend to continue missing it), but, even so, I see your point...
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

MTimT said:

Not sure I follow your logic Mr Glenn. I believe we have mutual interests in trade, security, intelligence, research and so on. I also believe we can cooperate quite satisfactorily without being part of the political structures of the union.
    The logic depends on the German VC's view being somewhat correct. To the extent that Brexit will damage the EU, it is against Britain's strategic interests.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

John_M said:

John_M said:

MTimT said:

The logic depends on the German VC's view being somewhat correct. To the extent that Brexit will damage the EU, it is against Britain's strategic interests.
    I'm afraid that ship has sailed, we aren't staying in the EU.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,072
    John_M said:

john_zims said:

@kle4

Assuming 650 seats, that seems unlikely. (And I speak as by far the biggest bear on the LibDems at the last general election.)

If we assume that the Holyrood elections are an accurate pointer to Scotland, the LDs would hold Orkney & Shetland with a massive majority, gain Edinburgh West comfortably, and be 50/50 for North East Fife.

My guess is that they'd probably regain Twickenham and possibly another of the SW London seats (all of which were quite strong for Remain, except, ironically Carshalton which is the seat they hold). I think Cambridge would also be regained.

The potential losses would mostly now be to the Conservatives, and there are a couple they could drop. But my guess is, were an election held tomorrow, that they'd probably get 10-14 seats.
  • Options

John_M said:

John_M said:

MTimT said:

If we accept your reasoning then perhaps that thought should have occurred to our partners when they sent Mr Cameron back with such a tiny fig leaf to cover his political privates. Based on their response, they clearly felt the risk & impact of Brexit was negligible.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Err????

The guy really isn't ready for prime time is he!

Even I'm embarrassed for Labour and it's fair to say I'm not their biggest fan
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T:

Haven't heard this for ages — "Just like perfection"...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvY6hl6qOIw
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

MTimT said:

If we accept your reasoning then perhaps that thought should have occurred to our partners when they sent Mr Cameron back with such a tiny fig leaf to cover his political privates. Based on their response, they clearly felt the risk & impact of Brexit was negligible.
    I think Mr Cameron wanted a deal quickly, because he didn't want a referendum mid-term. (Basking in the glow of his re-election, and with the support of the Labour Party, the SNP and the LibDems, he thought a quick 'renegotiation', followed by a referendum would be a cinch.)

If he'd had more sense (which he didn't), he would have taken three years to try and carve out a sensible Eurozone/non-Eurozone split in the EU, with the non-EZ members (like us, Denmark, Finland, and possibly one or two of the Eastern European countries) becoming effectively Associate Members.

But he didn't. And he paid the price.
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

MTimT said:

Cameron went into the negotiation telling them just needed a carnation to adorn his morning suit, not a fig leaf to cover his political privates. It's his failure, more than theirs, not to have understood how this would be seen by the British public, but a poor reason to cut off our nose to spite our face.
  • Options

John_M said:

MTimT said:

Err how????
  • Options
    Charles said:

John_M said:

Err????

How's Kansas? (Or are you really in Missouri?)
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

MTimT said:

I was meaning Gabriel's views were the reason to prepare, not his prediction. Brexit will happen before the collapse of the EU, in the event the latter ever happens.
  • Options
    Charles said:

John_M said:

Err????

It's sad to see the remnants of a once great party having a collective nervous breakdown cum psychotic episode. The days of the moral crusade seem a very long time ago.
  • Options

Isn't that a fairly normal level of carnage for the carnival?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

john_zims said:

@kle4

Assuming 650 seats, that seems unlikely. (And I speak as by far the biggest bear on the LibDems at the last general election.)

If we assume that the Holyrood elections are an accurate pointer to Scotland, the LDs would hold Orkney & Shetland with a massive majority, gain Edinburgh West comfortably, and be 50/50 for North East Fife.

My guess is that they'd probably regain Twickenham and possibly another of the SW London seats (all of which were quite strong for Remain, except, ironically Carshalton which is the seat they hold). I think Cambridge would also be regained.

The potential losses would mostly now be to the Conservatives, and there are a couple they could drop. But my guess is, were an election held tomorrow, that they'd probably get 10-14 seats.
    I think we'll be fighting the next election with 600 seats up for grabs. Assuming I'm wrong, 14 seats doesn't mean I'm inclined to withdraw my 'spent force' remark :).
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

I was meaning Gabriel's views were the reason to prepare, not his prediction. Brexit will happen before the collapse of the EU, in the event the latter ever happens.
    Oh the EU will collapse.

Ultimately, everything collapses. One day, the last person to even utter the words "The United Kingdom" will die. The only question is the timescale.
This discussion has been closed.