Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » August Local By-Election Summary and Important Notice

2»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    edited August 2016
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

The Remoaners are going to have a fit when they see tomorrow's Telegraph:

twitter.com/SkyNews/status/769276404278198294

However that also means she avoids any problems from the Tory awkward squad if Brexit is not the hard Brexit they want
    Won't that happen after Article 50 though?
    If she goes ahead and triggers BREXIT and its terms without consulting parliament, the Tory rebels will not have a chance to force her to agree BREXIT only on their own terms
    Yes but they won't know what type it is at the time of the vote.
    They only want one type, exit from the single market and no free movement, a parliamentary vote would have given them the chance to force May's hand
    How exactly would it have forced her hand?
    By a majority of Tory MPs in Parliament demanding hard Brexit, which is what they would have tried to get
  • Options
    Hillary Clinton Used BleachBit To Wipe Emails

http://m.slashdot.org/story/315457
  • Options
    NoEasyDay said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

However that also means she avoids any problems from the Tory awkward squad if Brexit is not the hard Brexit they want
    If she goes ahead and triggers BREXIT and its terms without consulting parliament, the Tory rebels will not have a chance to force her to agree BREXIT only on their own terms
    They only want one type, exit from the single market and no free movement, a parliamentary vote would have given them the chance to force May's hand
    Article 50'is a trigger for leaving.
    Very distinct from the actual structure of what that leaving means.
    For me we need that trigger asap...before the paddy pantsdown of this world get a head of steam up for another referendum. If the economy turns down, which i have to say seems increasingly unlikely.
    The economy will only turn down if we get hard BREXIT, which May knows and which is why BREXIT will be a fudge
  • Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454
    HYUFD said:

NoEasyDay said:

HYUFD said:

NoEasyDay said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/769276404278198294

Lets see what "brexit means brexit" actualy means anyone gets excited.
    Almost certainly some single market access for some controlled free movement ie a fudge
    I fear you are correct, though hopefully IDS, the Dr and Davis will hold her toes to the fire.
    They may try but it is May who decides and she said she wanted 'controlled free movement' in the leadership campaign for a reason, in contrast Leadsom said she wanted an end to free movement
    It comes down to what is "controlled free movement"
    Iam for it.....If it means we let in doctors nurses and decent midfielders for the glorious Spurs. And stop the rest.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    edited August 2016
    DavidL said:

Just watched the force awakens which is the premier on Sky. It was terrible, unbelievably bad. Why was I not warned on PB? Nearly 2 hours I am never getting back.

The plot was by design similar to a new hope, I would argue too similar for its own good and too contrived. But it hit the right notes, the tone and look of it were top notch, the charcters were good, and, with apologies to the original cast, the acting from the new cast was a lot better than the original trilogy. It's not as fantastic a movie as critic ratings would suggest, but it had enough great moments to sustain it and managed the Herculean task of setting up the new movies very well.

Rogue one looks awesome though, and plot wise should be stronger.
  • Options

Would never have predicted that Trump's doctor might look like this.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/769293280945246208

At least it wasn't Dr Nick from The Simpsons
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited August 2016

Hillary Clinton Used BleachBit To Wipe Emails

http://m.slashdot.org/story/315457

You have to wonder what Clinton is trying to hide. She is going to extraordinary lengths to cover her tracks.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Just watched the force awakens which is the premier on Sky. It was terrible, unbelievably bad. Why was I not warned on PB? Nearly 2 hours I am never getting back.

OK, not a classic like the 1970s/80s trilogy but a huge, huge improvement on the 1990s/2000s prequel trilogy!

My only whinge is that Luke didn't say a thing upon seeing Rey for the first time.
    That was hilarious.

Personally I found a lot of things people complained about it were things that occurred in the originals, so if anything it was too faithful in mirroring them.

Night all, hope someo e can pick up Harry's baton.
  • Options
    It seem in typical french style that a number of mayors of towns have said sod the court decision on wetsuits we want only want (semi) naked women on our beaches.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,171
    From the Telegraph:

But sources say that because Mrs May believes that “Brexit means Brexit” she will not offer opponents the opportunity to stall Britain's withdrawal from the EU.

It simply means that she wants to remain fully in control of the timeline herself and could equally be used to avoid being bounced into anything by the awkward squad.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

By a majority of Tory MPs in Parliament demanding hard Brexit, which is what they would have tried to get
    Over Half the Tory MPs were for remain, it seems unlikely over half would be for hard Brexit. Enough to cause problems no doubt.

Personally while a vote in parliament woukd seem a reasonable idea, if legally it's not required that's that. Whatever the motivations of some who wanted a vote in parliament it was a reasonable question to raise of who had the power.
  • Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454
    Hilary is trying to cover up that she has Parkinsons...look up the symptoms.
  • Options
    NoEasyDay said:

HYUFD said:

NoEasyDay said:

HYUFD said:

NoEasyDay said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

Lets see what "brexit means brexit" actualy means anyone gets excited.
    Almost certainly some single market access for some controlled free movement ie a fudge
    I fear you are correct, though hopefully IDS, the Dr and Davis will hold her toes to the fire.
    They may try but it is May who decides and she said she wanted 'controlled free movement' in the leadership campaign for a reason, in contrast Leadsom said she wanted an end to free movement
    It comes down to what is "controlled free movement"
    Iam for it.....If it means we let in doctors nurses and decent midfielders for the glorious Spurs. And stop the rest.
    For hardline BREXITEERS an end to free movement means exactly that and fewer foreign premiership players may lead to a better national team
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,927
    DavidL said:

The most over-rated film since Skyfall?

Critics were so overwhelmed at forcing Lucas out of the directors chair that they forgot to review the film on it's own merits... Which are nearly all bad it must be said.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

Over Half the Tory MPs were for remain, it seems unlikely over half would be for hard Brexit. Enough to cause problems no doubt.

Personally while a vote in parliament woukd seem a reasonable idea, if legally it's not required that's that. Whatever the motivations of some who wanted a vote in parliament it was a reasonable question to raise of who had the power.
    A strong Tory backbench vote for hard BREXIT would have sent a clear signal
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Critics were so overwhelmed at forcing Lucas out of the directors chair that they forgot to review the film on it's own merits... Which are nearly all bad it must be said.
    I find your lack of faith disturbing...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

Not sure how one vote before the negotiations achieves that...
  • Options

It seem in typical french style that a number of mayors of towns have said sod the court decision on wetsuits we want only want (semi) naked women on our beaches.

In Nudistan, it is illegal to wear any clothing at all on their beaches.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Fair enough. This bickering is pointless.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Apology accepted, Captain Needa :lol:
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

It made $2.08 billion, Skyfall $800 million why on earth would the production companies care about anything else? The bottom line for blockbuster movies is how much money they bring in, critical acclaim is all well and good (and both these films generally got that too) but it is box office takings which really matters.

There have been a few good films over the last year or so, The Martian, The Big Short, Eye in the Sky etc but if you want to see a film which makes you think watch an independent movie, even if it makes barely anything at all, or a TV drama, particularly on Netflix or Amazon Prime is a far better bet.

The big movies are all now mainly about superheroes of some form or another.
  • Options
    Nice to hear Theresa is planning to invoke A50... I had begun to wonder whether it was going to happen.

Sounds encouraging.

What's this about Ruth suggesting TM might have a general election?
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

As it puts the pressure on, as it is May can and most probably will agree softish Brexit without Tory rebels even getting a say until after the deal is signed
  • Options
    edited August 2016

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

We shall watch your career [on PB] with great interest...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

As it puts the pressure on, as it is May can and most probably will agree softish Brexit without Tory rebels even getting a say until after the deal is signed
    I'm not sure if she will do Soft Brexit... Something tells me she's going to be WAY more radical than most people expect.

We should get some idea when she gives her conference speech.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited August 2016
    Well I thought the star wars film was a bit shit when it came out & seem to remember saying so on here...but I was definitely in the minority.

Re billions tv show - I wish it had been a one season show. Same with Mr robot.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

But the vote in the Commons doesn't define the type of exit, just that Article 50 be declared.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Commander Cody, the time has come. Execute Order 66 Article 50!
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

To conflate the two discussions... May is now the ultimate power in the universe (with regards to Article 50 declaration). :D
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Commander Cody, the time has come. Execute Order 66 Article 50!
    We need to get working on holographic technology to make this possible. :D:p
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Well I thought the star wars film was a bit shit when it came out & seem to remember saying so on here...but I was definitely in the minority.

I wouldn't say it's shit but it's just SOOOOO uninspired and generic.

It looked and felt like it has been focused grouped to death so that it would tick all the boxes of 30 and 40 something men who grew up with the original films... Which left the whole thing more like a flaccid soggy bottom than an outpouring of creative genius and bombardment of ideas.

And what WAS that "superweapon" thing all about really? :open_mouth:

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

It looked and felt like it has been focused grouped to death so that it would tick all the boxes of 30 and 40 something men who grew up with the original films... Which left the whole thing more like a flaccid soggy bottom than an outpouring of creative genius and bombardment of ideas.

The whole super Death Star idea was a "bit" crap
  • Options
    Interesting that the 538 forecast has jumped towards Trump given that there haven't been too many polls today.
  • Options
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

To conflate the two discussions... May is now the ultimate power in the universe (with regards to Article 50 declaration). :D
    Ejaculate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances!
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

http://tinyurl.com/jppk4vf
  • Options

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Ejaculate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances!
    Premature posting? *ahem* ... Paging TSE!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

I'm not sure if she will do Soft Brexit... Something tells me she's going to be WAY more radical than most people expect.

She will do softish Brexit, she said she wanted controlled free movement in the leadership campaign for a reason, to give her leeway to get some single market access. May backed Remain after all. If Tories wanted hard Brexit they should have voted for Gove or Leadsom
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Corbyn again:

"Jeremy Corbyn has been accused of being "out of touch" after said he does not consider himself wealthy, despite earning more than five times the average salary in the UK.
    The Labour leader enjoys a £137,000 a-year salary, £600,000 home and a £1.6million pension.
    Mr Corbyn made the comments as he announced a new policy to fund the arts during a visit to Edinburgh."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/26/jeremy-corbyn-accused-of-being-out-of-touch-after-declaring-he-d/
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    GIN1138 said:

And what WAS that "superweapon" thing all about really? :open_mouth:

As I said it is all about money in most big movies now and mostly about money from superheroes, if you want something different look to independent cinema or TV dramas
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

But the vote in the Commons doesn't define the type of exit, just that Article 50 be declared.
    They could certainly have tried to get an amendment to try and define what should happen once it was declared
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

She will do softish Brexit, she said she wanted controlled free movement in the leadership campaign for a reason, to give her leeway to get some single market access. May backed Remain after all. If Tories wanted hard Brexit they should have voted for Gove or Leadsom
    Hopefully not much longer before we find out.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

They could certainly have tried to get an amendment to try and define what should happen once it was declared
    And legally tie the hands of our negotiators?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

Hopefully not much longer before we find out.
    Even once Article 50 is triggered it will still be several years before a deal is finally achieved
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

If it had passed by a majority vote, as Parliament is sovereign
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784

is that trump in a wig?
  • Options
    619 said:

is that trump in a wig?
    Are we sure this isn't an article from the Onion? :o
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

Parliament could pass any stupid thing it wanted, doesn't mean it should or would.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    The green party candidate is not on the ballot in Georgia or North Carolina. Should help Hillary.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

Parliament could pass any stupid thing it wanted, doesn't mean it should or would.
    Well if Tory rebels wanted to force May into hard Brexit they would certainly have tried to use Parliament to do so
  • Options
    edited August 2016

At least he has been found to be real unlike all those rake spokesmen & PR spinners.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790

DavidL said:

I watched The Force Awakens 11 times at the cinema, including the midnight showing.
    That beats my little brother's (he's 35 now!) nine watchings of the Phantom Menace in 1999 :lol:
    I think I watched "Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader" 13 times in the cinema. The final Harry Potter film, 8 times (iirc). Various other films over the years, 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 times, depending on how gorgeous the actor is.

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,059
    HYUFD said:

...as Parliament is sovereign...

(mutters sotto voce)

...noitsnottheCrownis...

• Options
    MP_SE said:

Not necessarily: I have said frequently on this very board that Article 50 is a Government-level decision and Parliament wanting to get involved was a power grab. I believe I phrased it along the lines of "she could do it verbally, in writing, via the medium of dance, or any way she damn well pleases", or words to that effect.

(see also my previous criticism of Cameron for seeking Parliamentary approval for sending troops into Syria: it should have been a Government decision via orders-in-council like the Falklands was, not a Parliamentary one via resolutions or legislation)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

...fewer foreign premiership players may lead to a better national team...

No it won't. If you're not good enough to beat them at the local level during the season, you won't be good enough to beat them at national level during the summer. People improve by competing against the best: if you just play in your own little pool you just become fat and rubbish, not better.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

No it won't. If you're not good enough to beat them at the local level during the season, you won't be good enough to beat them at national level during the summer. People improve by competing against the best: if you just play in your own little pool you just become fat and rubbish, not better.
    I think the criticism is that young players don't even get a chance to play and develop. You can see it already with Man Utd under Mourinho (who has a terrible reputation with bringing through young players in general), he has shipped out 4-5 of the young players and brought in the likes of Ibrahimovic. Rashford was England most dangerous player when he came on in the Euros, will now spend the season warming the bench rather than continuing his development week in week out on the pitch.

In reality you need some sort of balance, but it is basically impossible to do legally (and the big teams don't want it).
  • Options

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

I think the criticism is that young players don't even get a chance to play and develop. You can see it already with Man Utd under Mourinho (who has a terrible reputation with bringing through young players in general), he has shipped out 4-5 of the young players and brought in the likes of Ibrahimovic. Rashford was England most dangerous player when he came on in the Euros will now spend the season warming the bench.

In reality you need some sort of balance, but it is basically impossible to do legally (and the big teams don't want it).
    Agreed
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    The other problem in England is that if you are even in the squad of a top 20 team you are a millionaire. 4-5 seasons, even being a squad player, and you are set for life. Doesn't exactly promote hunger. Other leagues don't pay that outside of the top few e.g. French league they aren't on the big big bucks outside of the likes of PSG.

The thing that always gets me when the press bang on about such and such player getting a £100k a week, actually in terms of pay for sports people that isn't out of whack. The difference is just how many are on that money e.g Andy Murray makes more than that, so does Rory McIlroy, even Froome makes around that....The difference is that being the equivalent of a squad player in golf i.e you make enough cuts to keep your tour card (after caddie, travel, agents, you make £100k+) or being a squad rider in team Sky, (I think they said Thomas gets about ~£300k a year, down to £100k a year for domestiques), you make a good living but not that money and so there is motivation to keep improving.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    viewcode said:

Not necessarily: I have said frequently on this very board that Article 50 is a Government-level decision and Parliament wanting to get involved was a power grab. I believe I phrased it along the lines of "she could do it verbally, in writing, via the medium of dance, or any way she damn well pleases", or words to that effect.

(see also my previous criticism of Cameron for seeking Parliamentary approval for sending troops into Syria: it should have been a Government decision via orders-in-council like the Falklands was, not a Parliamentary one via resolutions or legislation)

What about "by hologramatic projection"? :p
  • Options
    and btw -- hello lurkers waiting for the new thread :)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    RobD said:

Greetings to fellow insomniacs!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    NoEasyDay said:

Hilary is trying to cover up that she has Parkinsons...look up the symptoms.

Doesn't look like it to me, and I am already familiar with the symptoms.

Take her convention speech for example:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pnXiy4D_I8g&ved=0ahUKEwiH7Iqr3-DOAhXpB8AKHY05AzsQtwIIHjAB&usg=AFQjCNH4uw0hQeyR1BggWOK9YoXs897C_A&sig2=ogUPsgeX1vv0bP0djIWA7w

No tremor, no bradykinesia, no difficulty initiating movement, no ridgidity, no festinant gait etc etc

• Options

RobD said:

Greetings to fellow insomniacs!
    Ah, a favourable time zone for me!
  • Options
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

The whole super Death Star idea was a "bit" crap
    Straight from the novels I think - more than once. Sun crusher, Galaxy gun etc. How do they build these things in secret?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    edited August 2016
    RobD said:

Interesting that the 538 forecast has jumped towards Trump given that there haven't been too many polls today.

A Florida poll and several national polls were pretty close, reducing Clinton's overall lead and they DO try and build in the trend in their algorithm. The National gap narrowed from 5.4 to 4.8 - hence more simulations gave Trump Victory.

Because the Electoral College Votes are quantised any significant increase in Mr Trump's probability of winning overall:

Florida D +1.6
    Iowa : D + 0.5
    Ohio : D +1.7
    Pennsylvania : D + 3.6

Will have a disproportionate effect on the probability of him winning.

In fact, this is also an effect of statistics - the simulations will assume a Normal(ish) distribution so the chances of winning go up very quickly once the gap is less than one standard deviation (Which I assume is half the margin of error?)

(Put it like this - a 10% swing in California will do Mr Trump absolutely no benefit at all - a 2% swing in those POIF states will hand him the keys to the White House.)
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

...as Parliament is sovereign...

(mutters sotto voce)

...noitsnottheCrownis...

We fought a Civil War to decide that, if the crown ever tried to overrule Parliament it would swiftly be abolished even if the Government effectively governs in the name of the monarch
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Is it not more than a little premature to go to so much trouble to produce a notional map for new boundaries when it remains uncertain that they will receive parliamentary approval?
This discussion has been closed.